Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Chapter Thirty-Eight: As Above, So Below

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Daltrey said:

See you in two weeks! ;P

I think it’ll be a little longer than that for me. I don’t plan on watching the flashback episode, mostly because I feel like it’s the shows way of trying to retcon the parents to the teens and I’m not a big fan of that. And then we will see if I’ll ever want to return. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

I'm so not feeling this season, especially the ridiculously evil juvenile prison. And the farm. And now a speakeasy where hot high school kids sit around and have fake drinks and look cool. 

Speakeasy is so foolish.. Shoulda just called it a cabaret... Ima stick with it tho as the speakeasy may be the only place I get to see Josie or kevin talk( or more likely sing)  same way that the Lot all the serpents hang out at may be the one place Toni speaks.. Unless she's to busy staring at Cheryl who's mean-mugging and gobbling up scenery

5 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I think it’ll be a little longer than that for me. I don’t plan on watching the flashback episode, mostly because I feel like it’s the shows way of trying to retcon the parents to the teens and I’m not a big fan of that. And then we will see if I’ll ever want to return. 

I don't know if it's a retcon, exactly, but they're definitely trying to draw some parallels between certain parents and their kids. It was blatantly obvious the way some of the scenes were being juxtaposed in this episode. It's too bad you're not enjoying the show the way you'd like, I wish that you could; it sucks when a favorite show goes off the rails. You should check out Alex Meyers on YouTube. He's made a bunch of videos on the show and how crazy it's gone. They're pretty funny and might provide some comfort. hopefully you can find a way to stick around. :)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Daltrey said:

I don't know if it's a retcon, exactly, but they're definitely trying to draw some parallels between certain parents and their kids. It was blatantly obvious the way some of the scenes were being juxtaposed in this episode. It's too bad you're not enjoying the show the way you'd like, I wish that you could; it sucks when a favorite show goes off the rails. You should check out Alex Meyers on YouTube. He's made a bunch of videos on the show and how crazy it's gone. They're pretty funny and might provide some comfort. hopefully you can find a way to stick around. :)

I’ve seen Alex’s video and they are funny, but it just makes me sad.

I don’t know, for Falice it seems like a retcon. It seems like they’re now implying they were super romantic just because certain fans liked the pairing and it seems they are trying to make Bughead Falice junior.. which no thanks. Bughead is totally different than Falice, but how the show is saying they aren’t.

Also I can’t get behind Falice. And the only thing their scenes have done is make me think they’re both awful characters. So yeah maybe they deserve each other. Maybe FP was trying to be a decent parent sort of last season and the first episode this season but now he seems way more concerned about his relationship with Alice. To the point of not even questioning the fact hat she’s clearly in a cult but Praising it because it allowed her to consider and follow through with  hooking up with him. And clearly trying to hide whatever the two of them did with the game from their kids because they don’t want their secret out.. seriously he’s more concerned with Alice than his kid. Let’s be real.

And Alice.. well. I’ve never understood the love for her character. She’s been awful every season.

But Falice for sure feels like they are retconning their romance because they want Bughead and that pairing to be the same. I mean I’m still hoping Falice fizzles our but I doubt it because of all the pushing its getting this year. It’s funny that people say Bughead is a forced fandom ship when honestly I think Falice is the biggest one on this show.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I’ve seen Alex’s video and they are funny, but it just makes me sad.

I don’t know, for Falice it seems like a retcon. It seems like they’re now implying they were super romantic just because certain fans liked the pairing and it seems they are trying to make Bughead Falice junior.. which no thanks. Bughead is totally different than Falice, but how the show is saying they aren’t.

Also I can’t get behind Falice. And the only thing their scenes have done is make me think they’re both awful characters. So yeah maybe they deserve each other. Maybe FP was trying to be a decent parent sort of last season and the first episode this season but now he seems way more concerned about his relationship with Alice. To the point of not even questioning the fact hat she’s clearly in a cult but Praising it because it allowed her to consider and follow through with  hooking up with him. And clearly trying to hide whatever the two of them did with the game from their kids because they don’t want their secret out.. seriously he’s more concerned with Alice than his kid. Let’s be real.

And Alice.. well. I’ve never understood the love for her character. She’s been awful every season.

But Falice for sure feels like they are retconning their romance because they want Bughead and that pairing to be the same. I mean I’m still hoping Falice fizzles our but I doubt it because of all the pushing its getting this year. It’s funny that people say Bughead is a forced fandom ship when honestly I think Falice is the biggest one on this show.

I see what you're saying. I seem to recall back in the first season FP and Alice couldn't stand each other, but then we found out Falice was a thing when they were kids? I agree them being a thing now does kind of seem like it came out of nowhere but i'm hoping this flashback episode may give it some clarity and perspective. I've full on embraced the crazy though, so I kind of wish the "adult" actors were going to play themselves as teenagers, I think it would be hilarious!

You're right about Alice though, she's always been an awful person. If I had to guess, I'd say the love is more for Madchen Amick and her portrayal, rather than the actual character. Kind of like the way you love to hate a good villain.

Anyway, sorry again that you're not able to enjoy it.

Well I remember them alluding to Falice to being a sort of thug in high school but it always seemed like a hate relationship where they hooked up sometimes but now the show seems to be pushing that they are this great love affair or something. Which sure.

Also I’m like the only person it seems who doesn’t have any love for MA. She’s fine I guess but she’s also kind of annoying on social media re Falice and she seems kind of tone deaf on her character. I just don’t think she’s the greatest like some here do.

On 10/30/2018 at 2:55 PM, Bobcatkitten said:

I'm so not feeling this season, especially the ridiculously evil juvenile prison. And the farm. And now a speakeasy where hot high school kids sit around and have fake drinks and look cool. 

Well, they needed to have a Peach Pit After Dark counterpart.

• Love 9
On 10/25/2018 at 6:01 AM, Superclam said:

Now I'm picturing Tree Demon wearing one of those white coats with a stethoscope.  

A nurse rounds the bend, sees him, and starts screaming. She stops, squints, and says "Is that you Dr. Damon? I didn't recognize you without your glasses on. And silly me, I'm not wearing mine either."

The Tree Demon points to the top of the nurse's head.

"Oh, that's where my glasses went. Thanks. You really should be wearing your ID badge. Carl from security has become a real stickler about that. There have been a lot of weirdos getting in here. See you tomorrow."

The next morning, the same nurse runs into the Tree Demon again. This time he has his white coat, stethoscope, glasses, and hospital ID badge on. Our nurse has her glasses on too. She's getting ready to make some small talk with him when she notices that his ID badge lists him as Dr. Tree Demon. All of this time she's been calling him Dr. Tre Damon. She's mortified. She looks away and quickly scurries away.

It's a shame because her mother has been hassling her about finding a nice guy to settle down with. Dr. Damon...ugh Demon seemed to be a pretty nice guy and she'd hadn't seen a wedding ring. Plus a doctor too! But she would be too embarrassed to try talking to him again after calling him the wrong name for 6 months.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

So I wasn’t sure where to post this random thought I had but the shows Instagram just had one of those videos where they show the cast talking behind the scenes about certain moments from the series and it was Lili and she was talking about Alice and Betty and their relationship and it’s obvious they film these things way behind they start shooting the season because hilariously Lili was saying while Alice has her crazy moments she is still very loyal to her family.

Which.. what? I’m sorry, what? This episode alone Alice showed zero loyalty towards Betty and when has she been that loyal to betty? I wondered if I’m watching a different show. 

Wow, so I’ve missed the first couple episode discussions. But, man people really aren’t feeling this season? I mean yeah season 2 started off stronger but this is still good imo for the most part. Definitely better writing than how Season 2 closed. 

So, to name my cons with what’s going so far, I’ll start with characters and their purposes. Killing the characters with barley any development serves almost no purpose. Dilton dying was lackluster because we’d expect him to, it’s just like Midge last season. Ben I thought we were saving for something bigger down the line, I mean he was so mysterious and now he’s really... not. Ethel dying could’ve meant something but it doesn’t do anything when you’re too afraid to kill characters because of fan risks. It’s a big problem with television especially around the teen drama field. What would I suggest? 

Riverdale would’ve definitely set the TV world on fire if Cheryl would’ve been killed off in the premiere. I’m sorry but she serves no exact purpose in this series anymore other than to act like she owns her girlfriend (which relationship barely has development of its own) and shoot arrows which is more ridiculous than Jughead becoming King Serpent at 16. She’s realky there because the creators of this show and network adore the actress and she’s the snarky character that they can flip on a dime pretty much this generations Damon Salvatore. I would’ve felt much bigger impact had say Cheryl, then Sweet Pea bit it playing the game. Then I’d feel way more urgency that this board game is “pure evil”. 

One of the bigger flaws this season is also comepletely dropping Hiram and his Legion of Doom to the background. Yes, I know everyone’s not a big fan of the storyline, but we’ve built him up to control the town? Why does he or why is he going to need the other parents help stopping this game? Consistency has been in these first 3 episodes but none of it has really followed up from Season 2 Completely, like where’s Chic? Hal? The Mob? Is the Farm different from the cult game? Also on a shallow note, Lili Reinharts acting this season is just bad, her delivery in almost every line is that ridilcous smartass 12 year old delivery she did in her scenes with chic last season and I can’t take it because I can never tell if her lines are serious or she’s being over the top. 

Anyway, why I like this season: 

1.  Cole Sprouse, besides having the cringiest dialogue this season (that General army like meeting at the pool party? That was awful) he’s really toned down the shouting lines and acting like the biggest dog in the yard. They’ve also toned the Serpent stuff though but it suits Jughead and him spearheading the G&G stuff really feels S1 Jughead stuff. 

2. The parents, I really liked the Fred, FP, Keller mission to free Archie and how Hiram finally has deal with the parental figures as enemies in Riverdale. Hiram vs Veronica is already getting boring but there’s still room to make it interesting and I think Hiram is still a good enough villain to last. 

3. Josie, while she still doesn’t quite have a storyline, she’s killing everything she’s doing, and that’s a plus. 

4. I like the Griffins & Gargoyles concept, the show still has plenty of time to botch it, but if it’s a separate entity from The farm, and connects to that, the prison, and the bigger foe down the line, I have high hopes. I really think it’s nothing supernatural, so it’ll be funny when Jughead or Archie swing on that thing dressed up and knock him out. 

5. Last but most, Archie. He’s disconnected from the G&G plot for now, but that’s great because I find the juvie plot so much more interesting. He had one of if not THE dumbest moment in the show taking that deal, but these last two episodes have been so much more fun. I’m completely invested in the Warden think him as a star is going to be and there’s obviously more to the story than just fight club and I can’t wait to see it. I’m also extremely hyped for the eventual outcome of this storyline which is pretty much for Archie to have his 1 on 1 showdown with Hiram. That flashback of him last episode pretty much confirmed it. Archie is the lead, so his story feeling like it has the ground to it and being conssistent really helps me see the show more well rounded like it did at the start and finish of last season. 

Riverdale keeps me interested, so I’ll keep coming back. Oh, two more things. FP and Alice are okay but it still weirds me out to se e them in bed 1 minute and then Jughead and Betty in the same situation next scene. Like, no. Also, Kevin/Moose sucks. Seriously you couldn’t give them better than a generic closet case storyline? 

WHY IS PENNY PEABODY STILL BREATHING?  

• Love 4

Oh my! After watching less last season and only watching the last episode from this season I can officially say this show is another example of a GSGB or in this case a GSGS!   I had no idea what I was watching from one scene to the next.  I don't know where to start..at the speakeasy or the ridiculous fight club.  The writers at the CW are their own worst enemies.  

I see no chemistry between Cheryl and Toni, and I see they caved to the fans and put Alice with FP.  Alice the savvy newsie spilling her guts to the farm is more than I can stand..

What happened to the Pussycats? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

Oh my! After watching less last season and only watching the last episode from this season I can officially say this show is another example of a GSGB or in this case a GSGS!   I had no idea what I was watching from one scene to the next.  I don't know where to start..at the speakeasy or the ridiculous fight club.  The writers at the CW are their own worst enemies.  

I see no chemistry between Cheryl and Toni, and I see they caved to the fans and put Alice with FP.  Alice the savvy newsie spilling her guts to the farm is more than I can stand..

What happened to the Pussycats? 

Yeah. Both Choni and Falice are fan pandering, I was okay with Choni last season actually and agreed with others who thought their lack of screen time was messed up(not to the crazy extent of some Choni fans were there) but now they’re just not that great of a couple. It’s regulated Toni to being Cheryl’s girlfriend and that’s all. Poor to I as a character never had a real chance though, I mean I’m a Bughead shipper though and though but really her first few episodes last season were pretty much foil for Bughead and then just as we started to develop her, they stared with Choni and now she’s whatever this. 

And Falice is fan pandering. What’s even worse is as I said the show now seems to be making them like Bughead. As if they were as romantic and sweet as Bughead was when as I’ve said a few times, they seemed like an Antagonist pair. They hooked up as teenagers but it wasn’t as sweet and deep and romantic as Bughead is. But now they seem to be backtracking as if they were always in love or something, just so they can compare and Parallel it with Bughead. 

Also it doesn’t make me like Alice and FP at all.  Alice is a lost cause to me, and I know people

move MA but I don’t get it, she’s fine as I said bht the extreme love peole

habe is odd to me. And Alice is just terrible. I know it’s a show, she’s a character, she’s fun to hate but she really isn’t, actually. Not to me. She’s been an awful parent every damn season of this show.  It’s also odd that no one on the show seems to think that Alice is an awful parent. That video I posted here a day or two ago, Lili said she hoped Betty and Alice would come back to their strong relationship. Which.. what the hell? Am I watching a different show?!?!

FP seemed alright for a little but now he’s a mess and awful parent too. I’m glad he’s all happy that Alice is in a crazy farm because it means she’s all about hooking up with him.

I don’t know. These are the many many reasons why I’m probably out for a while.

The flashback episode isn’t enticing to me as I fear it’ll make many viewers compare the teens to the kids and that makes me sad. I guess we’re forgetting that Jughead said to Betty that they weren’t their parents. I guess the show is saying they are.

Edited by WhosThatGirl

I do have to say that the show is not the same as it was in Season 1 and even in Season 2, but I am in for the long haul because I have come this far and I think there are things in the show such as Betty and Jughead that keep the show afloat. First, they need to find a way to get Archie out of the Detention Center. The whole Fight Club thing is not working and rather boring. His interactions with the other inmates and the Head Warden doesn't work. The whole Evernever thing is beyond weird and that really needs to be wrapped up in my opinion. They need to get back to the basics. The thing where Hal Cooper killed all those people I thought was great. This stuff with Cult stuff is just beyond weird and I think a lot of viewers are not getting it or only getting pieces of it. I think this next episode which I think will be like the 80's movie The Breakfast Club will be a really good episode though.

1 hour ago, Squirt said:

I do have to say that the show is not the same as it was in Season 1 and even in Season 2, but I am in for the long haul because I have come this far and I think there are things in the show such as Betty and Jughead that keep the show afloat. First, they need to find a way to get Archie out of the Detention Center. The whole Fight Club thing is not working and rather boring. His interactions with the other inmates and the Head Warden doesn't work. The whole Evernever thing is beyond weird and that really needs to be wrapped up in my opinion. They need to get back to the basics. The thing where Hal Cooper killed all those people I thought was great. This stuff with Cult stuff is just beyond weird and I think a lot of viewers are not getting it or only getting pieces of it. I think this next episode which I think will be like the 80's movie The Breakfast Club will be a really good episode though.

Eh, I love Bughead but as I said I feel like the show is trying to force Falice and Bughead as the same and I’m not into that.

1 minute ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Eh, I love Bughead but as I said I feel like the show is trying to force Falice and Bughead as the same and I’m not into that.

I agree that the Falice doesn't have the same impact as Bughead does with me at all. Especially with how weird Alice is being.

Just now, Squirt said:

I agree that the Falice doesn't have the same impact as Bughead does with me at all. Especially with how weird Alice is being.

I don’t know. The worst part is is that FP is all down for the cult because it’s given Alice the freedom to start up with him. Uh.. huh? Falice is so awful. I’m not quite sure why people ship them: 

I don’t know. The worst part is is that FP is all down for the cult because it’s given Alice the freedom to start up with him. Uh.. huh? Falice is so awful. I’m not quite sure why people ship them: 

I think so many people are into FP they would ship him with any breathing adult on the show. :) I agree that Falice is a mess and in my opinion so is the whole cult thing. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Squirt said:

I think so many people are into FP they would ship him with any breathing adult on the show. :) I agree that Falice is a mess and in my opinion so is the whole cult thing. 

Yeah.  This is why I’m taking a break from the show. I couldn’t care less about watching the adults as teens because I don’t really them and as I said, I don’t like it because I feel like the show is now implying that the teens are just like their parents. That makes me sad.

• Love 1

Yeah.  This is why I’m taking a break from the show. I couldn’t care less about watching the adults as teens because I don’t really them and as I said, I don’t like it because I feel like the show is now implying that the teens are just like their parents. That makes me sad.

The show needs to get back to focusing on the teens and make the parents secondary characters. The whole Hiram thing is OK, but not as a major theme. The story needs to focus about getting Archie out of the Detention Center and this cult stuff needs to calm down down and they need to come up with another plot twist involving the teens. I also hope Jellybean comes soon and FP and Jughead rekindle some relationship there leaving Alice out of the loop. 

• Love 1