Type keyword(s) to search

Welcome To Waverly - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I couldn't find a thread anywhere else, so I figured I'd start one here.

Is anyone else watching? I've seen the first two episodes and must say that I think they went a little heavy on the trope casting: gay guy, gay girl, loudmouth city chick, overachieving middle eastern guy, etc. Some of the curve balls have been nice (I mean how hard did they have to search to find a gay male Republican hairdresser???), but I wish they had looked for some people that really broke stereotypes on both sides (how about a black urban farmer, or a white evangelical from a coastal city, etc?) 

The fact they were all looking for seven to be the conservative stick in the mud, kind of says it all.

• Love 1

I've been watching it.  I wasn't sure what to think of it, but have enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.  Everyone has been really open and reasonable, except Melissa, so far.  I kind of want a bit of a backstory on the Miami Seven guy, sometimes I can't tell if he's completely hammered, if he has some sort of speech issue or just an accent that I'm not fully placing, because when he talks something seems really off about him at times.  I like that he's been pretty willing to jump in and help with the manual labor, though, with the realtor he was paired up with.  And it's interesting to me that they have paired people with their "small town" counterparts, I think it helped give them some bonds.  

I don't think I'd have been able to take the guy saying that I looked like a terrorist though.  I know that Aswar said that everyone should make more jokes, but, that seemed to me to be one of those things that shouldn't be said.  Along with every damn thing Melissa said at pie lady's house.  They should have hog tied and gagged her there.

• Love 2

I have been watching and enjoy it.  I didn't think I would because I thought it was going to be all stereotypical and look down on the small town folks, but it isn't and is really good.  Too good for Bravo.  I like everyone but the loud mouth blonde.  I especially like the chef/BBQ guy pair and the pastry chef/pie maker pair.

• Love 4

I’m watching this show now.  I’m from NYC and Melissa is so fucking ignorant, it isn’t funny.  I get that she doesn’t eat meat but she doesn’t touch it either?  I don’t eat pork but I don’t have a problem cooking bacon.  She’s one of those Brooklyn hipsters that have gentrified Brooklyn.

I laughed when the “noon whistle “ came on, I remember hearing that when I was a kid.  

But the Civil War reinactment .....no, just no.  However it was true that most southerners didn’t own slaves.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

I grew up with the fire whistle going off every night at 7 pm.  It was how we knew when to come in from playing outside.  I really wonder why this was so short and got dumped all in one week.  It was one of the better shows Bravo has had in a long time.

• Love 3

Not only did it get dumped all in one week, but all the episodes were supposed to replay in a mini-marathon this weekend and that got pulled (at least according to my program guide).  I think it was not as full of screaming assholes as Bravo had hoped.  So on the one hand, I really liked this show and liked that it was full of likable people and didn't like the single asshole that was on it an would have liked it better without her and would like to see more shows on Bravo that are not screaming dumpster fires full of dicks.  On the other I'm not here for Bravo playing the same episode of Tiny House Nation 800 times in a row, if I want that I'll watch DIY or HG.  

• Love 2

I think Bravo is testing the waters for new programming; perhaps the ubiquitous housewives shows are running out of ratings steam? I've noticed this year that I am tiring of a lot of the reality shows and have removed them from my DVR schedule. There are promos for "Bravo Home." Sweet Home Oklahoma got repurposed into Sweet Home, an interior design show.

And this little series. I liked it. I grew up with a noon whistle and the sound of trains passing in the night on one side of town. I never heard of bagels until I moved to the big city.

I was expecting at least one Waverly resident to bring up guns, since it's a hot topic in small towns these days, and I assumed production wouldn't be able to resist the inevitable brouhaha. Thankfully, no.

However, too bad we had to descend into Bravo's typical drunken screeching - the loudmouth bartender who's a legend in her own mind.

Will be interesting to see if the MN politician makes it onto the state or national political stage.

• Love 2
On 10/27/2018 at 10:23 PM, Neurochick said:

I wish this show had more episodes.  It was very good.  Maybe it was because there weren’t too many famewhores.  

I thought that as well. People actually listened to each other and tried to see another point of view. Way too good for Bravo when where one is seated can be a major issue on thier Real Housewives shows.

• Love 1