Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Witch Hunt

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Also I could see the writers just loving it when they found an actual mythical creature called an 'Aswang' because of course!

Even if the writers aren't mythology nerds (like I am) the Aswang turned up on an episode of Grimm several years ago. And it was creepy as hell.

iu.thumb.jpeg.216bed2088dea7895b40175a7142b947.jpeg

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Also I could see the writers just loving it when they found an actual mythical creature called an 'Aswang' because of course!

I was also already in the know about that because of Grimm.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Constantine still feels out of place on this show. I can't say I care for his character. I chuckled at his scenes with Mick, but that's about it. 

Completely agree. I don’t really like him and he can leave anytime now. 

• Love 2

That Fairy Godmother was hysterical, I really hope she's back for another episode and that we find out soon who exactly is after Constantine to boot.

The rivalry with Mick and John is pretty interesting to watch. Much as I love Constantine, I can somewhat see why Mick might not be so keen on him though.

Nice use of the Salem Witch trials this week and some great moments with Zari and Sara as well. Ray and Mick being turned into pigs was pretty amusing.

Nate works well with Ava, Gary and Hank in the scenes he got this week. Having him at the Time Bureau might not be a bad thing to be honest, 8/10

Edited by darkestboy
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, srpturtle80 said:

Completely agree. I don’t really like him and he can leave anytime now. 

At this point you're not really supposed to like him.  the Legends are very much a team - and a "family" team at that.  For all his grumbling, Mick is team player, for the most part.  When he does opt out of a mission, it's almost always something he'd be unsuited to do in the first place ("rescue" Laika, pretend to be a Puritan).  Constantine is very much not a team player.  He'll do what he thinks is best for himself/the situation, but he really doesn't think in terms of working in concert with others or planning to meld his actions with theirs.  He'll use Gary as bait for a unicorn to drag it to Hell, and if Gary gets eaten/dragged to Hell with it, tough shit for Gary.  JC will also happily bind himself to a powerful mystical creature that clearly hates humanity as a whole (as such is likely to pervert John's "wishes" to harm others as a result) to get himself out of whatever situation he found himself in at the end of the season premiere.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Cekrypton1 said:

I assumed Zari's red outfit was both a nod to, and an effort to draw a direct line to, The Handmaid's Tale.

Yeah I saw a comparison someone had done side by side yesterday and it had to be deliberate. 

• Love 1

The fact that the US government apparently funds the time bureau, as well as considered shutting it down, raises so many questions about this universe! And apparently Biff is one of the big wigs, which does I guess explain a few things. 

Not quite as amazing as last week, but another great episode. Zari and her issues continue to be on full display, and it added a nice amount of pathos to a wacky story about a fairy godmother wrecking havoc (more havoc) on Salem during the witch trails. Loved the constant Disney references, and the fairy godmother was played by Mama Cosmo from The Fairly Oddparents, which makes the whole episode even better! Salem was a great place for the Legends to show up, and I liked how they used it. Plus, I've been listening to a podcast about the Salem witch trails, so while this didnt have much to do with the actual historical stuff, it did nail the panicky vibe really well. 

I may or may not be in the minority, but I am enjoying having Constantine around. He both fits in with the Legends style of hot mess, while also adding a darkness that none of the other characters have that keeps him grounded in his own mythos. Of course, I've been a Constantine fan for years (going back to the comic run) so of course I would be happy to have him around. And of course he and Mick dont get along. They are similar enough to clash, but are different enough (Mick is a team player, as much as he would deny it) that they would drive each other up the wall. 

Nate and Ava were a fun pairing, and its nice to see Ava have a plot that doesn't have anything to do with Sara. Poor Ray, his best friend leaving him to hang out at the bureau, he looked so heartbroken. Does that mean Nate is taking some time off the show? How long could that last? 

Oh yeah, Gary was totally checking Ray out when he turned human again. Hard to blame him.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, beth005 said:

I watched Witch Hunt on Kodi and I was very impressed. The story was very interesting focusing on the questions of homosexuality and faith.

I think the most interesting thing about LoT is the way that homo/bi/etc. is not a big thing.  Sexual preference and identity are treated normal aspect of humanity whatever their nature.  Sara and Ava hooking and possibly moving in is treated with the same acceptance if not more than Nate and Amaya sleeping (and living) together.  Gary is a geeky dude - who happens to be attracted to dudes.  No biggie.  The most interesting thing about John Constantine is not his bisexuality but how his personality and problem-solving will work or clash with his new team mates.

• Love 1

I actually assumed Nate steeled up holding Ray because Ray is a big guy and can’t exactly be a featherweight - and since I’m willing to bet that Nate spends more time doing his hair than lifting weights, he probably needed his steel powers to keep from dropping Ray on his butt. But you never know with this show!

• Love 4
On 10/30/2018 at 4:54 PM, DearEvette said:

Oh it as.  This show has gotten cheeky with the double entendres.  Somehow my closed captioning was on for this episode and they were showing the 'previously on  ...' before this ep started, the scene at the end of the last episode with some Demon beating up Constantine and he had a line where the CC captioned 'I'd rather top myself than throw in with the likes of you..." or something like that.    Without the CC i would probably have never noticed that line.  But when I read it I was like well, ok, then.

While I love your interpretation, and thoroughly believe he's at least attempted it, "top myself" is British slang for killing yourself.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

I actually assumed Nate steeled up holding Ray because Ray is a big guy and can’t exactly be a featherweight - and since I’m willing to bet that Nate spends more time doing his hair than lifting weights, he probably needed his steel powers to keep from dropping Ray on his butt. But you never know with this show!

Oh that is TOTALLY the textual explanation for it - I wasn't breaking out the party hats to celebrate a future SteelAtom romance plot.

But the subtext: Nate totally got "hard" while holding a naked Ray, which sends two messages from the writers: 1) We know SteelAtom is a popular crackship with you lot - so because we love you, Merry Christmas. 2) Homoeroticism is just one more trope we're willing to play with, because it ain't no big deal.

• Love 1
On 10/29/2018 at 9:13 PM, Lantern7 said:

Over/under on how many episodes until the team forces John into a period outfit? I'm thinking Mick snaps and sets fie to that coat, Wait, it's probably protected by magic.

I wonder which will come first: John Constantine wearing a period outfit or John Constantine finally telling the Legends what all powerful demon is after him.

Place your bets ladies, gentlemen, and time traveling demonic beings!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

Oh that is TOTALLY the textual explanation for it - I wasn't breaking out the party hats to celebrate a future SteelAtom romance plot.

But the subtext: Nate totally got "hard" while holding a naked Ray, which sends two messages from the writers: 1) We know SteelAtom is a popular crackship with you lot - so because we love you, Merry Christmas. 2) Homoeroticism is just one more trope we're willing to play with, because it ain't no big deal.

Honestly, I found the Nate/Ray goodbye scene to be more romantic (subtextually). It played out similarly to Nate and Amaya’s goodbye last season.

• Love 1