Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Kamsahamnida

• Start Topic

I liked the episode.  Jae-won being introduced really made me happy.  He's really cute.

Kid Sterling's face is so beautiful.  It's like a painting.

Adult Kevin is so different from teenager Kevin.  I'm sure there's people can relate to this, but for me it's super-jarring and I don't really get the transformation.  What made Kevin so charming, loveable, and charismatic all of a sudden?  FAME?!

Beth yelling at the teenagers was HILARIOUS.  Even though I would have obviously hated it if I had to experience it in person!  Maybe I laughed so much  because that's how my parents talk to me.  LOL

Milo was really f'n hot this episode.  

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Adult Kevin is so different from teenager Kevin.  I'm sure there's people can relate to this, but for me it's super-jarring and I don't really get the transformation.  What made Kevin so charming, loveable, and charismatic all of a sudden?  FAME?!

This is a REALLY good point.  Seeing what we know of Kevin as a teen, I would think fame and celebrity would have only made things worse!  But we're expected to root for all of the Big Three, so we have to make him lovable and sympathetic.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BonnieD said:

They can't continue living at the level they're at without fresh income.

Income doesn't have to be earned income.  They were raking in the money for 10 years or so.  If they invested wisely, they could still be making a pretty good income off of their investments. Plus, they own a building, so in theory they could make money from that, assuming Randall didn't decide to run it at a loss.

• Love 10
51 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Well, season 1 Kevin was charming and charismatic to people who didn't know him, but he was a straight up ass to the people who knew him personally. I think acting after Jack's death did teach him how to fake it in front of people. But we've been watching Kevin work on himself for a couple of seasons and this Kevin IS different from season 1 Kevin and even parts of season 2 Kevin.

Kid Kevin was a whiny brat. Teen Kevin was an angrier version of that. Adult Kevin has been working through those issues for a long time. I get the transformation completely, since it's been a work in progress and he's still not quite there yet. See: him going to see Zoe in the hotel when she asked him for one night without him. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

But he was selfish and narcissistic for much of the first season. I think leaving the Manny and reconnecting with Randall have set him on a path of character growth. That along with facing his addictions and doing the Vietnam movie. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 19

As a former leader, I knew the GS cookie storyline was all out of whack and I let it go.  My nitpick technicality hangup is Randall deciding he has the authority to take it into his head one day to register people to vote.  Pretty sure that's not how this works.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Soup333 said:

Do any of the kids know about Jack's dream of Big 3 construction? If not then maybe Rebecca mentions it and Randall decides to honor his dad's dream and start a construction company...in Pittsburgh. *shrugs* No more unrealistic than what we've already got.

I don't remember if they know about it, but I had written about this notion late in the first or early in the second season -- it would be pretty believable to me that one or two or all of them would resurrect this idea and I thought maybe they were going there when Randall bought the building, and Kevin helped him one day.  But alas, no.  It could still happen.  Each could have their role, Rebecca could be informally involved, Miguel could advise because it would be right up his alley.  I think sooner or later Kate and Toby need to move back east because the flying back and forth all the time is ridiculous and Kate can use family help once her baby is born.  Phone advice is fine but she will have a baby, a dog and a husband who may not always be able to be helpful. 

• Love 4

As other posters have said, I was so irked by the Audio storyline. Kate wasn't watching him when he ate a rock (plus what rocks are in a random bag in the trash can? More likely he was eating sandwich wrappers or some druggie's hypo needle.) so they take him back to the park where they let him loose (to run wild and eat anything, run into the street, whatever) and AGAIN he isn't watched. Then Kate was all, "Oh, look! Audio pooped!" I know people don't want to see it, but they needed to look at the poop and then freaking pick it up in a baggie and dispose of it. But knowing entitled Kate/Toby, they let the poop just sit there for people to step in.

Kate and Toby will be horrible parents. They are horrible people so I'm just supposing. Can't even be responsible dog owners.

IMO, Jack didn't want to talk about Vietnam not because of some love child or whatever, it's because of the horrible killings and seeing women and children murdered in the most brutal way, and maybe some of those killings were at Jack's hand, because "he had to." Living in the midst of blood, amputated arms and legs, disemboweled corpses rotting in the jungle heat and seeing your buddies killed next to you ... yeah, that's not something to talk about to anyone who wasn't there. Or to people who were there.

So Kevin is going to search the whole of southeast Asia for some woman who is 60-70 years old now IF she is still alive and IF she still lives in Vietnam? Alrighty then.

As a Girl Scout who sold cookies, I just can't with how it's the parents' job these days and their fault if the kid doesn't sell enough. I hated that story line.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Soup333 said:

To answer your question, no. As for the bolded, I'm not sure this is still true. After all, Girl Scout Cookie sales traditionally start near the beginning of the year as opposed to during the fall. And I'm anal enough to have gone to the website to double-check when sales would start in Alpine. Not for another 73 days. I think they play - or are starting to play fast and loose with things of this nature. If the election was to be held by next episode that wouldn't give Beth or the new guy enough time to really help Randall win his campaign, not without a lot of time jumps.

ETA: Nancybeth, great minds...

In Chicago, our mayor and aldermen are elected February, if you don't get 50% of the vote, there's a run-off in March or April.  

17 minutes ago, topanga said:

But he was selfish and narcissistic for much of the first season. I think leaving the Manny and reconnecting with Randall have set him on a path of character growth. That along with facing his addictions and doing the Vietnam movie. 

Kevin has shown growth more than his other siblings because of what he’s gone through. Kate and Randall both seem stuck on the same thing. Although this episode Kate showed some growth, even getting some meta about how as a child she needed to be taken care of because of her weight, as a teenager she needed to be taken care of because her dad died, as an adult Toby constantly had to step up and care for her. So hopefully this sticks. Randall seems.. still “I need to find my place” or find his purpose. He’s been doing this for like three years now. First it was finding his bio dad, then it was adopting a child, now it’s running for mayor. It seems Randall will always be looking for his purpose. I mean yeah Beth is fine now latching onto his Campaign but I was hoping she would not be, she deserves her own purpose.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

IMO, Jack didn't want to talk about Vietnam not because of some love child or whatever, it's because of the horrible killings and seeing women and children murdered in the most brutal way, and maybe some of those killings were at Jack's hand, because "he had to." Living in the midst of blood, amputated arms and legs, disemboweled corpses rotting in the jungle heat and seeing your buddies killed next to you ... yeah, that's not something to talk about to anyone who wasn't there. Or to people who were there.

I also think the fact that his brother died there and he saw it as his most important job in life to prevent that, that would be enough to be deeply and everlastingly disturbing to the point of, as he said, doing things to keep from thinking about it.

7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

As a Girl Scout who sold cookies, I just can't with how it's the parents' job these days and their fault if the kid doesn't sell enough. I hated that story line.

Amen to that, and a dying mall with no traffic wasn't going to yield much even if she had a swiper. 

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

So Kevin is going to search the whole of southeast Asia for some woman who is 60-70 years old now IF she is still alive and IF she still lives in Vietnam? Alrighty then.

If Jack can be stationed in the same area as his brother who was sent to Vietnam months or a year before him, anything is possible with this show. :p

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

I was tired and had a headache, so I only watched the first 15 minutes of the show, but that was enough to annoy me.

1. Church is for worshipping God, not for political grandstanding.  If I knew that a candidate was going to church just to get votes, I might vote against him just for that.

Agreed.  But is very common for politicians to visit churches as part of their campaign.    Every politician running for office right now will be in at least one church this weekend campaigning.  

Don't get all the emphasis on Randall's finances.   It was already established that he was very successful at his job and it paid a lot of money.   It's not unreasonable at all that he could take a year or 2 off working and be just fine.   He has investments, including the building he purchased, so he still has income.     But really the show is pretty loosey goosey on the financial status of all of the big 3.   Kate/Toby mentioned the cost of IVF but it didn't appear to be a hardship for them, even though Kate can barely cover the gas bill.   Even before Toby, Kate was only partly employed, but she managed to maintain a home, travel, etc.   Kevin, should be the richest of them all,  but don't really portray him to be particularly rich.   

• Love 13

If the dog story proved anything, it's that Kate shouldn't have kids. She's too self absorbed. Shocked, I know.

Also hate that Beth can't do her own thing.

I have a feeling this show will have people move to be closer. Rebecca was hinting at it with Kate not being close. So let's say Randall wins the election, moves to Philly which in Pearson land is 30 minutes away from Pittsburgh. Kate moves back to Pittsburgh to have Rebecca raise their child, because Kate sure can't do it. And Kevin will be in NYC which is 35 minutes away from Pittsburgh in their land.

The Big 3 Construction note thing that Jack was scribbling on. That survived the fire, correct? I believe it was with his belongings beside Rebecca when she drove past the burned home. They made it a point to show it. But it hasn't been brought up since. Maybe we'll see her look through it in the past, reminding current Rebecca to tell her kids about it.

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Agreed.  But is very common for politicians to visit churches as part of their campaign.    Every politician running for office right now will be in at least one church this weekend campaigning.  

Don't get all the emphasis on Randall's finances.   It was already established that he was very successful at his job and it paid a lot of money.   It's not unreasonable at all that he could take a year or 2 off working and be just fine.   He has investments, including the building he purchased, so he still has income.     But really the show is pretty loosey goosey on the financial status of all of the big 3.   Kate/Toby mentioned the cost of IVF but it didn't appear to be a hardship for them, even though Kate can barely cover the gas bill.   Even before Toby, Kate was only partly employed, but she managed to maintain a home, travel, etc.   Kevin, should be the richest of them all,  but don't really portray him to be particularly rich.   

Finances are never an issue on shows unless the writers want to turn it into a storyline.  I just handwave it away because no one is even trying to be realistic about finances on tv.

• Love 8

The Randall story line is absurd on so many levels.  Running for office in another state 2 hours from home?  Sure, that will work.  Living in one of the most expensive states in the country, with 3 kids in private school, and both parents out of work?  No problem!  Ridiculous.

I am enjoying Kevin's story, and Kate and Toby are fine.  I actually enjoy the flashbacks so the next episode will be enjoyable I think.

• Love 3

Maybe everyone here would like to see one episode focused on nothing but work and money?

Finances are never an issue on shows unless the writers want to turn it into a storyline.  I just handwave it away because no one is even trying to be realistic about finances on tv.

Thanks for this.  I thought I was crazy because I really don't care one bit about their finances.  If I wanted to watch a show about money ,I'd watch CNBC.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think he was just pointing out that they weren't part of the community.  But, what he did was just as wrong, anyway, so it doesn't matter.

My point was that both of them were in the wrong. Randall was using it to increase his community credibility. As far as we've seen, the family members are not regular church goers. The councilman was wrong to point this out.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

with 3 kids in private school

I keep seeing this, but I thought it was already established in a previous episode (the one with the Snow White play "The Pool" I think, don't have time to look it up) that the girls go to public school. He made a point to William or someone about how the public schools in the area were better than the private ones and gave his girls a more-rounded experience or something along those lines.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, albinerhawk said:

My point was that both of them were in the wrong. Randall was using it to increase his community credibility. As far as we've seen, the family members are not regular church goers. The councilman was wrong to point this out.

Right, I agree.  The he in my "what he did was just as wrong" was the current councilman.

9 hours ago, Katy M said:

But, to actually whine about how your mother not having a job any more affects your cookie sales is annoying

My kids are younger than Beth's and for me not to yell at them like that for a day is cause for celebration. To get this far in parenting & never to have yelled "shut up!!" X 3 is a miracle and testament to Beth's patience , lack of everyday stresses, or the children's angellic behavior normally. But I do remember comparing my mom to a neighbor's stepmom at that age (my mom was mentally/emotionally checked out for her own reasons) and whhheeewwww it didn't go over well. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Milo was really f'n hot this episode.  

He is always so appealing. I love the way he interacted with Kate. He seems to be such a balanced father. His character is so likable and he is a really nice guy. He will respond to you on twitter. 

• Love 4

Kate would have redeemed herself, if even just a wee bit since I don't like anything about her, if, when Audio pooped, she handed Toby a plastic baggie and told him to check for the rock before he bagged the poop. THAT scene I would have enjoyed.

I got a kick out of Randall, not being paid, asking his wife to "work" for him so she can't be paid either. Yeah, that will make her feel whole and self-fulfilled. She could go be a hospital volunteer if she wanted to do something good and not be paid. Or volunteer at a day care so she could be with her kids, who are now going to have no parent around. Although it could be a cool story line if Deja is made caretaker for the two other girls and they start a neighborhood gang or something.

• Love 15
21 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

It’s not Ole-ney Randall, it’s Ahl-ney. FFS. 3rd and Ahl-ney, not Ole-ney and 3rd.

Same holds true for the town in Maryland.  Funny that I lived in Norbeck, Maryland right next to Olney and not far from Olney in Philadelphia.

• Love 4

Wtf, Deja and the other girls starting a gang?  I don’t get why it has to be a gang.

The obsession with Randall’s finances is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.  I wonder if people were this obsessed with the characters in Friends who probably couldn’t afford to live where they did in real life.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 7
22 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

It’s not Ole-ney Randall, it’s Ahl-ney. FFS. 3rd and Ahl-ney, not Ole-ney and 3rd.

Right? Way to demonstrate that you don’t belong in Philly, Randall. 

As a Philadelphian and a Girl Scout, this episode bugged me.  You just can’t go to a random store with cookies and a table and set up shop!  All those cookie booths are scheduled in advance so you don’t have thay exact scenario!  Plus certain stores (like Target) do not permit cookie booths, and other stores (like Wawa) allow cookie booths on certain days only. Showing up unannounced is a big no-no! 

And thats really all I took away from that episode. 

• Love 8

I had to fast forward through the church scene. It was so awkward it made me squirm. Really loved the scenes with Randall and Kevin. I think the actors have crafted such a lovely rapport. And appreciate the addition of the hot Asian actor....can’t locate his name. Googling.....

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Maybe everyone here would like to see one episode focused on nothing but work and money?

Thanks for this.  I thought I was crazy because I really don't care one bit about their finances.  If I wanted to watch a show about money ,I'd watch CNBC.

For me it’s the totality of several instances that have happened. With Kate, everyone was very knowledgeable about IVF and how risky it was for her but no one, including her husband, mentioned the expense. A throwaway line about their insurance approving it would have put this issue to bed. 

Kevin is an actor with a new, successful movie out. Dude has schmoney (as my daughter would say). I get that he can jetset across the country on a whim, but his brother...

It’s not just the two last minute flights to be with Kate but the constant travel to Philly. The campaign office and money that he must have personally spent on ads. Beth was fired. I understood she loved her job but people also work for ducats. Now she’s without this income so how is that a factor in their lives? In her not being okay? Is she worried at all about their finances?? I don’t think it’s weird to wonder about all of this, especially considering money, or the lack of, was a part of Jack and Rebecca’s story.

And it wouldn’t take much to explain - although I’d prefer less clunky exposition than Randall’s line to Beth about how he can run for office in a state he doesn’t live in. 

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

but no one, including her husband, mentioned the expense.

Actually, that's not true.  Toby said that he was glad that they weren't doing it because it was so expensive.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Actually, that's not true.  Toby said that he was glad that they weren't doing it because it was so expensive.

I only recall him saying he was worried about the risk. But I’m glad he did mention it. And now that they went on and did it anyway, I wonder if he’s stressed out about taking time off work because they just generated a huge debt. See how answers beget even more questions? Lol. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, MajesticMariposa said:

I keep seeing this, but I thought it was already established in a previous episode (the one with the Snow White play "The Pool" I think, don't have time to look it up) that the girls go to public school. He made a point to William or someone about how the public schools in the area were better than the private ones and gave his girls a more-rounded experience or something along those lines.

I need to look this up. I could have sworn the girls were in private school. I'm trying to Google but it's failing me.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

I need to look this up. I could have sworn the girls were in private school. I'm trying to Google but it's failing me.

Couldn't find a clip. Here's the transcript for the episode. http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=718&t=29174 Copy and pasted: "Yeah. Public schools in this area are good, it's why we moved here. Even better than private."

Read more at: http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=718&t=29174

• Love 2

Swipers only work if you have signed up for and downloaded the credit app (like square). It only takes minutes to sign up on your phone. In the absence of a swiper, you can manually input the credit card info.

Randall needing to learn boxing around the same time he went to weekly karate classses with Jack. Um, okay.

Its almost like the writers don’t care about us. (Randall running in a district he doesn’t live in, Jack mentioning to Randall after the Howard visit, he watched his number get called for the draft on TV, Rebecca mentioning she has a sister. Toby tells Rebecca he has a sister after Kate’s first bar appearance).

Anyone else got some?

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, MajesticMariposa said:

Do you remember which episode this was? I feel like I always remember him saying he has a brother.

He said both. He has a brother 10 years younger than him that doesn’t like him. He told Rebecca he has a sister in the episode where they all go to a tapping of the Manny. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Katekate said:

He said both. He has a brother 10 years younger than him that doesn’t like him. He told Rebecca he has a sister in the episode where they all go to a tapping of the Manny. 

Just looked it up. You're totally right. Now that's going to bother me until they mention her again (which they probably won't) lol

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I agree they have money but it's a bit contradictory when Beth mentioned she applied to several jobs and hasn't  received a response. Beth hasn't been unemployed long. What's the rush to find another job if she can take her time? We know why but it was weak way to resolve that plot. 

If you were married to Randall, wouldn't you be running back to work to dodge his next great idea? 

But seriously : we've seen Beth's love for her work since the beginning and it has never been about money. It was a job in her chosen field that she'd been in for 12 years. She was able to work part time when that made the most sense for her family and then switch to full-time. For a confident person to cry in a job interview, we saw how much the loss affected her. I wish Randall would have talked to her more about how she was feeling and what her options are. 

• Love 23

I expected more from Randall.  He has had nervous breakdowns.  Beth is not at that level, but she is telling him she isn't ok.  But I guess he makes himself feel better by diving into new projects, so he thinks that will do for Beth, too.  Maybe she should do something for herself first, not involving any Pearsons, like a vacation at the beach, or a spa retreat, where she can take a deep breath and refresh.

• Love 23
On 10/30/2018 at 10:29 PM, tennisgurl said:

So, if Randall wins the election in Philadelphia, will they have to move there? They will right? Because that would sure suck for the girls, having to leave their home, school, and friends so that their dad can deal with his dad issues (his TWO dads) all of the time. Also, not to be that guy, but how much money do Beth and Randall have saved up? It seems like this is costing a lot of money, and neither of them are currently employed...

Ehhh they could do what my uncle did - he rented an apartment near his work to live at during the week. Randall could live in a room in his building during the week and go home on the weekend.

They could've at least picked a town accessible via NJ Transit! Then they could've been like "Oh Randall takes a train on the NEC to Philly every morning at 4 am and comes back at 9 PM every night because the Pearsons are super duper duper speshul"

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Katekate said:

In the absence of a swiper, you can manually input the credit card info.

Or, if you're Beth, you can ask the customer to write down his CC number and promise that she'll tear it up as soon as she's done. 

• Love 9

I think it's reasonable to wonder about Randall and Beth's finances. After all, isn't this show supposed to be about people with whom we can connect, who have something in common with their viewers, characters who are "us"? Does the title of the show mean "Hey, this is who we are, just like you guys," or does it mean "This is who we are and we are totally different than you and yours, so watch in puzzlement"?  Most of us viewers aren't in the same financial tier as Randall and Beth and the logistics of having two unemployed parents, long or short term, in a family of five would be very problematic for us. I have several cousins, who by their early 40's, had made enough money so that neither they nor their children will ever have to work again. So I sort of lump Randall into that category, and move on. But perhaps a throwaway line now and then about their financial security would help put the topic to rest a bit. 

• Love 3
On 10/31/2018 at 12:04 AM, voiceover said:

Niiiiiiiiiice!

I am so very behind any Randall/Kevin sl, even tonight's mini-one.  My new favorite line: Randall's "I love you!...I know I don't say it enough! <inserts laughing crying emoji>"

Cheers to Mandy Moore.  The moment Jack said, "You know, my brother and me...", the look on her face was: He mentioned his brother!  Don't scare him! He might talk more!!

I feel like Deja's speech to Beth, and Kate's to Toby, was some fan service for those of us (and I am one) who have griped that one was an Eeyore and the other, a bottomless pit of needy.  Eh.  Nice work.

I'm all about 5-star vacays, for any reason, but -- "Decompress"???? Zoe looked like she's just *come from a spa.  

Rebecca's expression when Jack mentioned his brother was probably my favorite part of the episode. Really good acting, no words required.

• Love 14

If Toby has been on anti depressants for a long time, he was on them when he met Kate but he also enjoyed more than a few cocktails along the way, I thought drinking while on those sort of meds was a real no no.   

Beth is all a bout telling people what to do but fails when she needs Randall to hear her, I do not think she really wants to work on his campaign in lieu of working on her own career.  BTW, it is interesting that Randall's inroads are in the Korean population and not the Vietnamese population in Philly, it could have been a good tie in for Kevin and his quest for more information about his father.

Randall's fundraisers can do well if he gets Kate to sing and Kevin to show up at fundraising events.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Tikichick said:

As a former leader, I knew the GS cookie storyline was all out of whack and I let it go.  My nitpick technicality hangup is Randall deciding he has the authority to take it into his head one day to register people to vote.  Pretty sure that's not how this works.

I joined the League of Women Voters this year and basically started registering people to vote with no training. And I know teenagers at my son's high school who've done it. It's easier than I would have expected. It's filling out a form and bringing it to the appropriate location - you're not actually vetting the information. Presumably the board of elections does that.

• Love 7