Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Kamsahamnida

• Start Topic

I had to chuckle about what happened to Audio as my friend went through a similar situation with her dog and won an award for it.  http://www.hamboneaward.com/rock-pooping-pug-wins-3rd-annual-vpi-hambone-award/

I like the girls, but Tess, slow your roll.  Were you really expecting your mom to show up with a swiper for her phone to accept payment? That's a bit much.

I think Toby (!) had the most interesting story tonight, which is saying something.  Randall and Beth is becoming a heavy handed chore to watch and Kevin's is still building up (though I hope the payoff is great.)  

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

I think Audio was eating rocks in order to escape living with Toby and Kate. Lord knows I would

Laughing out loud for real.

I’m annoyed by them all. Zoe can’t have one night without Kevin just because Kevin is spoiled and entitled and has to have what he wants when he wants it? I guess just like Beth can’t have one moment where it’s about her without Randall and the girls taking priority.

10 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I know that Randall has his own plot going on, but his reaction to Kevin wanting to know more about their father is... "Good luck!"? Randall has no interest in finding out more about Jack? I did appreciate Kevin kindly explaining to Randall why this was important to him by comparing it to Randall's search for William in season 1. I get this is Kevin's journey, but Randall couldn't be bothered to help out his brother...at all. 

I don't know if that's because he doesn't really think Kevin should pursue this out of respect for Jack's wishes. Sort of like respectfully agreeing to disagree but wishing Kevin well. Or maybe Randall is just so hyperfocused on his campaign. He barely allowed Beth to speak about what she's feeling and offering her some support besides a job. I love that they're a team. But she was clearly affected by this loss of her job and she told him point blank that she's not fine. Maybe she'd like some time to regroup and revamp her job search. Or she'd like to bounce ideas off of him. We'll never know because now she's on the campaign trail. 

Now that I think about it, Randall is probably not going to pay much attention to Kevin's project. 

• Love 14

You know what makes me feel worse for Randall's new campaign manager, whose name I want to type out but don't want to be disrespectful and butcher it? He's going to be totally right when Randall wins and never steps foot in that neighbourhood again. Randall will have a new project next season, even if it still relates to this election. The chances of Randall winning are basically at 90%, and the family WILL move to Philly and we'll get stuck with politician Randall who will only be looking for his next project to work on that suits him. 

• Love 15

I don’t like the idea of Randall running for office, but I did like what he did today.  He knew that he was fucked in the black neighborhoods, everyone was telling him he didn’t belong, that he wasn’t ‘one of them.’  So why not try a different strategy?  He did, good for him.  I have a good friend who is a campaign manager, she lost her job and struggled for years until she discovered something she was good at.

• Love 24
32 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

And, why in my hometown of Philadelphia? When Randall and Beth live in Alpine, New Jersey which is an 1 hour and 51 minutes away? It’s such unnecessary storyline.   

Maybe they should have used fictional towns and cities in this show. The Pearson family's instant travel machine annoys people lol. 

I tend to handwave logistical inconsistencies but sometimes they go overboard. People do commute from Philadelphia to NYC but the two of them are now going to be going back and forth all the time. Aren't all three kids in extracurricular activities? 

• Love 19

Interesting "twist" for Randall. I wonder if the show will touch on racism against black people within the Korean/Asian community. Not everyone, but it happens. I just have a hard time believing so many people would be taken by that off the cuff speech. And he better hire the translating sister, too!

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Toby was dragged over the coals when he ignored Kate's wishes to watch a Steelers game on her own, so Kevin deserves the same for ignoring Zoe's wishes to spend one night on her own. And his big news was that he started to fill out a visa application? That process can take weeks if not months, it was nothing that couldn't wait until the next time he saw her.

I hate everything about the politics storyline, and even the cute campaign manager can't salvage it. Beth very obviously wanted a safe space to vent and for Randall to just be there and listen, and instead he jumps right into fixer mode and offers her an unpaid "job" that isn't remotely close to her career goals.

I wish Beth had said no and continued sharing her feelings. How did he feel when she said she had been pretending to be OK? 

And I'm pretty sure the visa application won't take long because the Pearsons have a time machine that helps move the plot forward ?

Edited by love2lovebadtv
Typo
  • Love 19

I throw away 5-7 pieces of political mail on a daily basis. This is not what I want to watch on tv. I’m not feeling this storyline but I did/do like the new campaign manager. I already figured Beth’s sudden firing would lead to this but I’m not happy about it. 

This season feels somehow rushed and stagnant to me. I am enjoying Kevin’s SL and how it relates to his dad but I’m meh across the board. 

• Love 20

Kevin blew it at the end, but he was still my favorite Pearson. Good lord, can these people ever give anyone space? I like it when he's cute and funny, probably why I hated the addiction storyline so much last season.
Kate- I'd be depressed too if I had her smothering me like that. You got dressed! Don't treat him like a toddler. It looks like at least we're not going to have Toby lying in bed anymore. I still can't stand Kate.
Randall - UGH. This councilman plot is so dumb. Why couldn't he run for some position in Alpine? Or at least in NJ? I hate the contortions we have to go through to make it work. Him going to the opponent and telling him his strategy was beyond stupid. Seconding the other poster who mentioned potential for tensions between the Korean and Black communities. The only good part was Kevin being eager to help.
Beth - I feel you, Beth. I haven't lost my job, but I get being stressed like that. As a mom of Girl Scouts, I'll spare you the cookie-selling logistics and why that was unrealistic. But I did really relate to her in that "mom, you failed" moment. I really, really wish she had turned Randall down.
I still continue to like the moments featuring the Big Three 10ish-year olds or teens. I really like all the kid actors and those storylines don't feel so contrived.
ETA - Question: Is Randall challenging the councilman in the primaries or general? Have they mentioned that?

Edited by ChromaKelly
  • Love 9
37 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

He's going to be totally right when Randall wins and never steps foot in that neighbourhood again.

Your probably not wrong. Randall has been jumping from one project to another, and ditching them or putting them on the back-burner when the next shiny thing distracts him. He wanted to  quit his job! He wanted to be a foster parent! He wanted to recreate his experience of being adopted! He wanted to feel closer to William and run his building! He didnt like the building, so he decided he wanted to go into politics! Once he wins, who knows what he will decide to do next? He will leave all these people in a lurch, like Deja and the people in the building and his own freaking wife and kids. I swear, I like Randall, and he really does mean well, but his jumping from one project to another, that actually affects real people in his quest for finding himself, has really just become a pain to watch. 

I did like the idea of him gaining support in the Korean community, and I like the idea of him bringing various marginalized communities together to help each other, I just hope they can actually have him stick to something for awhile. 

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, Bama said:

I'm calling my shot - the vietnamese woman in the picture is Nicky's love/baby momma, the necklace was originally Nicky's, after Nicky was killed Jack stepped in to help her and his nephew/niece, something horrible and tragic happened to the woman and the child and THAT'S what haunted Jack after he came home.

Hey I was just coming to post this theory!!! :)

Anyways.. I was bored by this episode. I don’t care. I’m curious about what Kevins plan is, is he just going to walk around Vietnam looking for this woman? and be all “Hey I have your necklace!!!!!” Or something? 

And again... they really seemed to have lost steam for me in this show. Everything feels really boring to me. I want to like things but I can’t. Also again sadly.. the flashbacks didn’t really add anything to the story? I mean we learned boxing was something that kept Jack from dealing with stuff and he did it with his brother but apros of that.. it didn’t add anything much to present day Kevin or present day Randall. I thought we might get a moment when Randall and Kevin we’re talking about the election thing and Randall was going to say a funny Anecdote about their relationship when they were kids and when they are now, as adults, (“remember when we used to fight when we were kids? Yeah.. I once asked dad to teach me to box and I lied and said it was because of a bully but it was you.. ”) or something.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 9

Niiiiiiiiiice!

I am so very behind any Randall/Kevin sl, even tonight's mini-one.  My new favorite line: Randall's "I love you!...I know I don't say it enough! <inserts laughing crying emoji>"

Cheers to Mandy Moore.  The moment Jack said, "You know, my brother and me...", the look on her face was: He mentioned his brother!  Don't scare him! He might talk more!!

I feel like Deja's speech to Beth, and Kate's to Toby, was some fan service for those of us (and I am one) who have griped that one was an Eeyore and the other, a bottomless pit of needy.  Eh.  Nice work.

I'm all about 5-star vacays, for any reason, but -- "Decompress"???? Zoe looked like she's just *come from a spa.  

• Love 18

Randall isn't going to lose, is he? That's the only outcome that could salvage this ridiculous plotline for me. 

Has no one involved in this show sold GS cookies? Lord! Cookie Booths are a serious business. If it's an official site, you're scheduled in advance. If it's not, you'd still need manager/company approval to just set up somewhere. 

Other than Randall's family, who used to be my absolute favorites, I'm enjoying this season. I think we all knew Kevin was going to end up in Vietnam. Even if it does end totally predictably, I've found it interesting. Kate and Toby have been an improvement as well. So I'm still holding out hope for this show! 

• Love 7

Randall is incapable of walking into a room and not talking about himself.  He’s exhausting.

Kate, it shouldn't have taken Toby’s concern for you to hop to and get Audio some help.  You should have taken him to the vet on your way home from the park.

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, Squirrely said:

Randall isn't going to lose, is he? That's the only outcome that could salvage this ridiculous plotline for me. 

Has no one involved in this show sold GS cookies? Lord! Cookie Booths are a serious business. If it's an official site, you're scheduled in advance. If it's not, you'd still need manager/company approval to just set up somewhere. 

Other than Randall's family, who used to be my absolute favorites, I'm enjoying this season. I think we all knew Kevin was going to end up in Vietnam. Even if it does end totally predictably, I've found it interesting. Kate and Toby have been an improvement as well. So I'm still holding out hope for this show! 

Gah! I know. The cookie thing was bugging me. Individually, you do your pre-sales first. That's when you go door-to-door (or go to your mom's office, hit up your family, etc) and get people to buy cookies. They order them, you turn in the money, and about a month later, the cookies come in, then you deliver them. Your troop orders cookies at that time too, and those cookies are what you sell at cookie booths. You have specific territory in which you can set your booths up, and yes, you have to get permission from the stores to sell cookies.

• Love 11

When Kevin was telling Randall how much he admired him for going after what he wanted, I was hoping Randall would take it differently.  The fact that he flits from project to project without any consideration of his wife and children, is not a good thing.  And his final conversation with Beth was disappointing.  Beth deserves a real talk about her problems, not an offer to be part of Randall's political aspirations.  "Let's get you elected." Yeah, how about no.  Feels like they pulled this plot out of thin air.  

Not really feeling Kevin and Zoe this week.  It's like seeing Rebecca and Jack's first date; we already know what's going to happen.  We've seen Kevin and Zoe on a plane to Vietnam, so I wish they would just get on with it already.  

1 hour ago, CleoCaesar said:

This is the episode that made me think "Huh, I'm probably not going to be watching in season 4." Just pure tedium.

I'm not there yet, but this show doesn't grip me the way it used to.  And yes, it's getting tedious.  

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

The chances of Randall winning are basically at 90%, and the family WILL move to Philly and we'll get stuck with politician Randall who will only be looking for his next project to work on that suits him. 

I fear that this is exactly what will happen.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Squirrely said:

I hope he loses. Really hope he quits but it doesn’t look like that’s gonna happen. 

I wonder if the majority of viewers are enjoying this storyline. I didn’t see any complaints about it on Instagram but I only glanced at it for a minute. 

Edited by Soup333
  • Love 6

This season is honestly such a chore to watch every week. There's always been at least one storyline that bored me pretty consistently from the beginning, but this season it feels like every single storyline happening is Bad and it's too much for me to handle all at once.

ALL the Jack brother and Vietnam stuff is painfully boring. I don't care. The man is dead, his kids and wife had no idea about it, what use is this to us now? Unless they're planning on bringing in a secret love child from all of this - and please, God, do NOT - it's all a waste of time to me. I feel like I'm watching JJ Pryor's S2 storyline from American Dreams, but worse.

Kevin has grown on me since S1 and I mostly find him likeable now, but that doesn't mean I find his storyline's interesting, especially not this one, connected to the Vietnam stuff. And while I don't mind Zoe, I'm not feeling them together much.

I'm never interested in anything involving Toby or Kate, save for kid/teen Kate or when they focus Kate/Rebecca's messy dynamic, so I'm as interested in their stuff this season as I always am, which is not. At least Audio is cute?

Randall, I used to love and I don't dislike him now, but this storyline is also painfully boring. It was a tiny bit more interesting this episode because there was a slight scenery and setting change, but it's still not good. This one feels like I'm watching Kristina Braverman running for office. Adult Randall and his Randallness has just lost some of his shine to me. Still adore and am endeared by kid and teen Randall, though.

The only think I'm liking is that Beth is finally getting something of her own - or she was, until now. Now it's gonna be all about Randall again, I'm sure.

• Love 13
18 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Anyways.. I was bored by this episode. I don’t care. 

And again... they really seemed to have lost steam for me in this show. Everything feels really boring to me. I want to like things but I can’t. Also again sadly.. the flashbacks didn’t really add anything to the story? 

I agree. This episode with Randall getting into politics was shoehorned in. He lives in Alpine! And it is boring. And Beth is boring. And Toby and Kate are boring now. 

They need to figure out a way to make the show seem more fresh. And that may be to time jump in to the future.... but they tease us with that storyline and it is frustrating and manipulative. Just let us know what is going on already! 

Edited by DakotaLavender
typo
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

I don't find it weird that a 38 year old would ask their parent about advice. I think a lot of people still want their parents opinions no matter the age.

I liked Deja and Beth's talk. She has a different perspective since this wasn't her life from the beginning. She knew Beth was in a rough place and tried to help where the girls would just think their mother was being a bitch. It's not great but they are still young  and they never had to deal with something like this before.

I side with Zoey this week. She asked for one night to celebrate in her way that has become a tradition for her Kevin  should have respected  that. Everything he said could have waited. It just shows that what Kevin wants is most important. He did tell Randall he doesn't respect  people's boundaries so I guess it's par for the course.

I feel like they could have done so much with the Toby depression story but they aren't really doing anything. I know only so much can happen with 3-4 storylines going but Toby isn't getting any love. He had an episode named after  him and he was just a small part of it. Deja got her own episode but not Toby. We aren't really going to explore what he depression is and how Kate handles it. Besides from freaking out over the dog eating a rock. 

I liked the role Deja played doing her best to steady Beth after that fiasco with the cookies. She IS growing as a character. I also sense that she has bonded with the Pearsons' two daughters, perhaps not so closely yet, but she was a good sport through the whole mess. She seemed to be okay with them from the beginning when she went to their bedroom that first night to talk to them. Good relationships between natural and adopted children are not a given by any means.

• Love 16
43 minutes ago, colorbars said:

Unless they're planning on bringing in a secret love child from all of this - and please, God, do NOT - it's all a waste of time to me.

Wouldn't this satisfy everyone's griping that Jack is too perfect? Wouldn't this finally dispel the mythology of St Jack?

I'm not a fan of the Vietnam storyline at all. I'm not a parent but I do wonder sometimes if there's a way to instill in kids that parents are still people and deserve privacy and their own existence so why go picking at something that Jack obviously wanted to put behind him.

I teared up at Deja talking about how it made her feel when Randall told her she was exceptional. 

Who is going to pay the bills when Randall and Beth are both not working? That city council job is not going to pay much even if he does win. Also why would you tip your opponent off about how you are going to win?

The traders on Billions have ridiculous cars, homes and leisure activities so I'm really confused at the obsession with Randall and Beth's finances. A man who paid for a 100K+ car in cash is not hurting for money. I'm sure Beth isn't a Mercedes driving welfare queen so what's the problem? 

Sterling K Brown has responded to me on Twitter in the past. I'm gonna try again and ask if there's a scene where he and Beth hold up their bank statements or say something like "ooh wee baby we rolling in it because I was a fucking commodities trader that made loads of cash. Good thing we bought that startup stock before it went public." 

Edited by Drumpf1737
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

The Korean-American grandmother is so inspired by Randall's speechifying powers that she registers to vote for the first time in 75 years -- sorry, writers, you're overplaying your hand on this one. 

Really, because this is one of the few things in the election story that rings true to me.  There are so many communities out there that get taken completely for granted or are completely ignored.  IF you are a person who there whole life has never seen somebody come into their community and address your concerns you stan for the first guy who shows up.   I have seen it so many times this election season "nobody has ever come to this neighborhood before..."  

It is the voting side of representation.  The first time people see somebody like them on TV it is a powerful experience.   So the fact that the role is small or degrading isn't an issue.   It is just amazing to see yourself reflected back.  Then a few years down the road the group of kids who grew up seeing themselves on TV are no longer impressed by that and wonder why the people that look like them don't have a real part, aren't the heroes, are the criminals, the background players, the sacrificed in the first scenes bit and they demand more.  

What really worked for me in this was the mother was inspired by Randall.  Her kids were not.   They pegged Randall as a guy who was going to show up once, court their vote, and never show up again.  It was two different generations and a very real response.  I'm white and middle class and I've seen a lot of my own representation all over the world.  But I've campaigned this year with a candidate who is committed to meeting everybody and I can't tell you the number of people who have signed up to vote for the first time because it was the first time they ever felt a politician heard them.   

• Love 24
3 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

The Korean-American grandmother is so inspired by Randall's speechifying powers that she registers to vote for the first time in 75 years -- sorry, writers, you're overplaying your hand on this one. 

Nah, she's just voting for him because she got a selfie with The Manny.  Now that's actually believable.  

• Love 20
2 hours ago, Bama said:

I'm calling my shot - the vietnamese woman in the picture is Nicky's love/baby momma, the necklace was originally Nicky's, after Nicky was killed Jack stepped in to help her and his nephew/niece, something horrible and tragic happened to the woman and the child and THAT'S what haunted Jack after he came home.

I expect I'll like your version better than what the writers come up with! 

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, Drumpf1737 said:

Wouldn't this satisfy everyone's griping that Jack is too perfect? Wouldn't this finally dispel the mythology of St Jack?

I doubt that even if there is a kid, that he knew about it and knowingly abandoned it, so I don't think it would do much to make him look bad. He was obviously messed up from the war, so I could see him doing that at the time, but not going back or having this big double life where he sent them money or something, would just be too out of character. I'm all for Jack getting knocked off his pedestal some, but I want it in a way that actually makes sense.

Plus, a second love child and long lost sibling would be way too dramatic and I can only imagine how long the fall out from that would drag on for.

• Love 4