Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Unexpected

• Start Topic

I hated the wine scene. So contrived.  Men ripping wine glasses away from women they think are pregnant.  News flash. The woman can take the glass and not drink it if she wants to keep the pregnancy secret, or make an excuse like Delilah’s “need to keep my head clear for game night”.  

• Love 16
4 hours ago, izabella said:

What is Ashley's problem?  I really wanted that scene she imagined of giving Delilah the suicide note and folder, and Delilah going off on her, to have been real.  And then we got the fakeout instead.  She's hiding so much, but we have no idea who she even is, much less why she has taken it upon herself to do whatever the fuck she thinks she's doing to this family.

Delilah is a manipulative liar.  The lies just roll off her tongue.  She and Ashley are two peas in a pod, really.  And for pete's sake, she has a teenage daughter - Delilah should be well acquainted with Plan B.

Katherine is going to be devastated when she finds out her husband is Delilah's baby daddy.  Just add insult to injury and stir.  Is she the only one with a paying job at this point?  Oh, wait, I think Gary does something in a cubicle.  Maybe she and Gary will be raising all the kids since no one else has income (and heath insurance?)

The fake out of Ashley giving Delilah the suicide note really pissed me off. For a brief moment I thought they were finally going to move that story forward. I hate that I had to watch another dramatic Delilah moment and then it wasn’t even real. Why does she always act like a toddler having a tantrum when she gets upset?

At least the suicide note was on screen long enough that I was able to read most of it but it doesn’t really answer any questions. (I’ll post a screenshot in the spoilers thread in case anyone wants to read it.)

Edited by Guest

I may be out on this show too. It looks like they took one episode to give Katherine a token goodbye to make her a wee bit sympathetic, and now they are full steam ahead on the Delilah and Eddie relationship train.  Ugh. 

And also, Eddie's son was just a bit too unrealistic.  I felt kind of bad for the kid. So many rules and regulations and being afraid.  

I've been tuning in for two of the actors because I enjoyed them in other shows, but this show is written for dramatic "moments" only without really earning those moments, and unless the writing starts hanging together better soon, I just don't care anymore.

Bring back Katherine and her "the forest takes the stage at noon" lines.  I liked her.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I don't think this show moves too fast necessarily; I think it's more that every story is covered in a shallow manner. You can portray an experience in a short amount of time if you really delve into it but this show kind of skims the surface. Does that make sense? And of course I agree, like everyone, we do actually need to move along the Mystery of Jon a little faster. 

my thoughts exactly.  I've watched until now in the hope they would be advancing the Jon side of the story. I'm really annoyed they led us to believe something would be revealed. The rest of the cast are just so incredibly whinny.  the show didn't give the viewer a chance to get to know these people before piling on the angst.  and cliche after cliche.  Did anyone really think she was going thru with the abortion?  or that the child wasn't Eddie's?  I think I'll just read episode recaps to find out if they ever let us know anything about the suicide. 

• Love 3

I guess Delilah is a child just like Eddie is. When the condom breaks, you KNOW you have a problem, and yet she didn't do anything about it (I'm also from a pre-Plan B generation, but it's 2018 on the show), which means either she was considering having the kid and... what? Not telling anyone? Pretending she got really fat and then putting it up for adoption in secret? If she wasn't having sex with Jon, and she wasn't planning to leave Jon for Eddie, and she wasn't planning to tell Eddie about the pregnancy... it's just really hard to make any kind of sense out of her choices. How far along was she? Did she get pregnant the afternoon we saw her in bed with Eddie while Jon was jumping to his death? Otherwise, she's just indecisive and shockingly negligent.

I think Eddie begging Delilah to leave Jon, and then wanting to work it out with Katherine, and now wanting to be with Delilah again... it's really tiring. But I wonder if he will change his tune again if it turns out Delilah is broke once Jon's financial crisis is revealed.

I do agree that Eddie is a good dad, though... and I continue to really like how all the adults are actually pretty decent with kids. I was not thrilled with Maggie undermining the hat-wearing rule, but I still think the kid parts of the show are really good-- not just "better than the rest of the show" but actually better than most shows, even shows I like, which often are fairly ridiculous when it comes to kid characters and kid stories.

TV abortions that actually happened: a transient character of the week episode of Everwood did one back in the day (she was way too young to become a mother), Lena on The Fosters (she wanted the kid but developed life-threatening complications and had to choose between herself and the fetus), I think there was one on Parenthood (another teenager, the girlfriend of one of the ensemble characters-- he was very upset that she did it), Maude in freaking 1972, and Crazy-Ex Girlfriend did one pretty recently. CXG was great-- Paula, who is a married mother of two teenagers, gets pregnant while working full time and going to law school. I don't know if you can really work full time and go to law school at the same time, but... whatever. She decides she doesn't want to slow down her career, or raise another child, so she has an abortion. Her family is super supportive-- it's her decision, and it's not a secret, and they are supportive and there's no shame going on. It's not treated in a callous manner, it's serious and soberly done. But it's not maudlin and treated like a scandal, ether.

Those are the only ones I knew about. But I just looked it up and apparently there have been some others. Some of them I actually saw, but had forgotten:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/arianelange/abortions-on-tv-2016

https://www.indiewire.com/2016/06/abortion-tv-portrayal-scandal-girls-friday-night-lights-1201700144/

https://theweek.com/articles/476169/how-tv-shows-deal-abortion-timeline

http://www.gurl.com/2015/04/15/tv-show-episodes-about-abortion-in-the-media/#16

Some of the same ones are mentioned in multiple articles, but each article has at least one that wasn't mentioned in the others.

45 minutes ago, Dani said:

At least the suicide note was on screen long enough that I was able to read it most of it but it doesn’t really answer any questions. (I’ll post a screenshot in the spoilers thread in case anyone wants to read it.)

Can you post it here, and hide it under the spoiler tag? I don't really want to go into the spoiler thread, and since it's already information that's aired, it isn't really a true spoiler anyway. I'd really like to read it, though, and really appreciate your willingness to post because it went by too fast for me to catch during the show.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I guess Delilah is a child just like Eddie is. When the condom breaks, you KNOW you have a problem, and yet she didn't do anything about it (I'm also from a pre-Plan B generation, but it's 2018 on the show), which means either she was considering having the kid and... what? Not telling anyone? Pretending she got really fat and then putting it up for adoption in secret? If she wasn't having sex with Jon, and she wasn't planning to leave Jon for Eddie, and she wasn't planning to tell Eddie about the pregnancy... it's just really hard to make any kind of sense out of her choices. How far along was she? Did she get pregnant the afternoon we saw her in bed with Eddie while Jon was jumping to his death? Otherwise, she's just indecisive and shockingly negligent.

I think Eddie begging Delilah to leave Jon, and then wanting to work it out with Katherine, and now wanting to be with Delilah again... it's really tiring. But I wonder if he will change his tune again if it turns out Delilah is broke once Jon's financial crisis is revealed.

I do agree that Eddie is a good dad, though... and I continue to really like how all the adults are actually pretty decent with kids. I was not thrilled with Maggie undermining the hat-wearing rule, but I still think the kid parts of the show are really good-- not just "better than the rest of the show" but actually better than most shows, even shows I like, which often are fairly ridiculous when it comes to kid characters and kid stories.

TV abortions that actually happened: a transient character of the week episode of Everwood did one back in the day (she was way too young to become a mother), Lena on The Fosters (she wanted the kid but developed life-threatening complications and had to choose between herself and the fetus), I think there was one on Parenthood (another teenager, the girlfriend of one of the ensemble characters-- he was very upset that she did it), Maude in freaking 1972, and Crazy-Ex Girlfriend did one pretty recently. CXG was great-- Paula, who is a married mother of two teenagers, gets pregnant while working full time and going to law school. I don't know if you can really work full time and go to law school at the same time, but... whatever. She decides she doesn't want to slow down her career, or raise another child, so she has an abortion. Her family is super supportive-- it's her decision, and it's not a secret, and they are supportive and there's no shame going on. It's not treated in a callous manner, it's serious and soberly done. But it's not maudlin and treated like a scandal, ether.

Those are the only ones I knew about. But I just looked it up and apparently there have been some others. Some of them I actually saw, but had forgotten:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/arianelange/abortions-on-tv-2016

https://www.indiewire.com/2016/06/abortion-tv-portrayal-scandal-girls-friday-night-lights-1201700144/

https://theweek.com/articles/476169/how-tv-shows-deal-abortion-timeline

http://www.gurl.com/2015/04/15/tv-show-episodes-about-abortion-in-the-media/#16

Some of the same ones are mentioned in multiple articles, but each article has at least one that wasn't mentioned in the others.

Can you post it here, and hide it under the spoiler tag? I don't really want to go into the spoiler thread, and since it's already information that's aired, it isn't really a true spoiler anyway. I'd really like to read it, though, and really appreciate your willingness to post because it went by too fast for me to catch during the show.

I can never figure out if shows want us to pick up only one or two words when they flash a letter that quickly, or they expect us to screenshot and study it? 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Sure. I've never used a spoiler tag before so hopefully this works. 

Spoiler

image.png.99ba82daf64698ff996a803d92eb67bd.png

Thanks, Dani!

32 minutes ago, topanga said:

I can never figure out if shows want us to pick up only one or two words when they flash a letter that quickly, or they expect us to screenshot and study it? 

I don't know, either. But I think they do imagine that at least some viewers will read it, so if it's really meant to not be revealed, they wouldn't take the risk?

• Love 3
11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Omigawd, you guys, if we didn't know that Eddie was a spoiled man child, we DEFINITELY know now. What kind of guy has the nerve to be upset that his married lover is pregnant with her husband's baby? How dare she have sex with her husband while having an affair with Eddie? His self-righteous indignation just made me roll my eyes. But then I totally cracked up at the lyrics playing over Eddie pouting in the car: "spoiled selfish little child." Yup.

People having affairs often feel this way. BUT it’s usually women. 

In my short 33 years on this planet, I’ve noticed that if a man is the person “on the side” he’s less likely to get upset because knows his place in the hierarchy. But a mistress (gotta love patriarchy that there’s no male equivalent for mistress) will pitch a FIT if a husband is loving/sexual/attentive to his WIFE, “how could you do xyz with her?!!” . The man generally understands that the spousal relationship comes before the side relationship. That being said a man can cheat all day long but then will get upset at his wife for stepping out. I wonder what this means about how men/women few sex and relationships in the heteronormative frame work. 

Eddie is such a man baby. 

17 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah I totally called her not going through with the abortion. Also the fact that the baby is eddies wasn’t a surpirise. This episode being titled “unexpected” must be the writers making a joke. Everything was expected.

I’m watching now and reading comments (bad I know). Ugh I’m so disappointed. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I can think of three:  Olivia Pope on Scandal had one.  It was a decision she quietly made with not discussion and she went and did it, the camera stayed on her face the whole time.  She was the girlfriend of a sitting president.

Also, Christina Yang on Grey's Anatomy had one because she didn't really want kids and she was more dedicated to being a surgeon. Also an unusual case of a married woman having one. 

And finally On Dear White People (Netflix) , Coco has one.  She was an ambitious college student who has plans. 

So three different situations, all with their own valid reasons.  And all main characters on their shows.  Also, interestingly, all women of color.

Degrassi: Next Generation/Degrassi Next Class  handled Manny’s ( whos Filippa) abortion and another girl’s very well. Basically they were teens who didn’t want to be pregnant anyone more. One girl had the support of her mom, another took an Uber and a friend stayed with her. 

Bolding mine- damn. 

I wonder if Katherine will just decide to have Jon be the legal father of the baby- she was married to him at the time of conception and he’s now dead. Given their marriage they won’t require a dna test for social security funds etc........

And I type before I finish watching the episode. So they are going to lie to everyone, including Theo so he won’t know he has a sibling. That’s their plan. Ugh. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Though, to Eddie's credit, he's a pretty good dad. I like that he had a full extensive list for Gary and Maggie about Theo. 

I KNEW that Rome would want kids. I KNEW IT. C'mon show, you're totally cliche. Of course Regina will change her mind as well. Jesus Christ, this show is horribly written and horribly cliche. 

Gina's mother is pretty nosey and can nobody keep a damn secret on this show? Well, except for Eddie and Delilah, who are expert liars. 

I see Regina STILL not wanting kids, which will then become the “elephant in the room “ between them. And her mother is Next Level pushy, holy cow!

Also, was anyone else confused over Maggie, a practicing psychologist, being so seemingly clueless about night terrors and how to manage them?

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, TVForever said:

I see Regina STILL not wanting kids, which will then become the “elephant in the room “ between them. And her mother is Next Level pushy, holy cow!

Also, was anyone else confused over Maggie, a practicing psychologist, being so seemingly clueless about night terrors and how to manage them?

In my life experience as a childfree woman, while there are men that decide they are childfree on principle, women are more firm in their stance, irrespective if they partnered or not, or if their partner wants kids or not. Makes sense, women are usually the primary caregivers and we have the gestational and health consequences men don’t have. So I can see Regina being a firm “NO” while Roman wavering. 

Maggie does confuse me. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, taragel said:

I couldn't believe they didn't use a woman's version of this song! (Why are men even covering it?)

This! The most woman centric song ever should not be covered by men and CERTAINLY not during an abortion scene. The music director for this show needs to find a different line of work. 

The shocked look on Eddies face thinking D mignt have been sleeping with, you know, her husband, wraps up everything I hate about entitled cheaters. The writers really want us to hate both these characters don’t they. 

The mystery is the best thing they’ve got right now but I’m sure it will end up being some stupid trope like Jon was broke and the only way to save his family was the life insurance money. Eye roll. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

And I type before I finish watching the episode. So they are going to lie to everyone, including Theo so he won’t know he has a sibling. That’s their plan. Ugh. 

Yeah, the biggest issue is that this may be what's convenient for Delilah but it's a shitty situation for Eddie. He doesn't even realize that he's getting totally manipulated by Delilah. While he says I love you and wants to move forward with them (which....urg), Delilah's keeping him at arm's length. She hasn't said I love you, she chose to lie about the baby's paternity, she is the one protected the most in all of this. She can have her cake and eat it too at the moment. She gets to be happy to be pregnant, have people not judge her for who the baby daddy is, AND have said baby daddy in agreement and complacent to her needs who will also be there for the baby.

Like I've said before, and I'll continue to say it: Delilah is a master manipulator. 

Man, I can't wait for this secret to get out in a few episodes so Delilah can get reamed by...someone (likely Sophie). 

Just now, sadie said:

The shocked look on Eddies face thinking D mignt have been sleeping with, you know, her husband, wraps up everything I hate about entitled cheaters. The writers really want us to hate both these characters don’t they. 

I did laugh because Eddie thought they were on the same page, but it turns out that he had to think that maybe Delilah wasn't all in with their relationship like he is. And then it got ruined by the end scene, but I'm still kind of hoping that Delilah is lying to Eddie about that. 

• Love 4

@Lady Calypso Eddie is so the one being “played” in this affair. Not that I think he was just a penis to Delilah, I’m sure she likes him and all, but HER needs and HER family are always going to come first. He was the person on the side, but in his head it was the grandest love affair of all.

Something tells me that Eddie is an emotionally needy person. He needs lots of attention and adoration -comes with being a performer probably, which is a socially acceptable way to get that need met, which is why he’s ping ponging (emotionally) between Katherine and Delilah. He’s got to have SOMEONE validating him. 

E46E6E7F-2002-44D3-99AF-CF672CD394CC.gif

• Love 9
53 minutes ago, TVForever said:

I really hope the show surprises me and allows Gina to stick to her no-kids stance.  There are tons of women who don't want kids and never get the urge.  TV tends to portray these women as hard-faced, career women but that isn't the case IRL.  It would be nice for a character like Gina who has been written as warm, creative and loving to be shown not to naturally want kids.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I really hope the show surprises me and allows Gina to stick to her no-kids stance.  There are tons of women who don't want kids and never get the urge.  TV tends to portray these women as hard-faced, career women but that isn't the case IRL.  It would be nice for a character like Gina who has been written as warm, creative and loving to be shown not to naturally want kids.

From your lips to the show writers ears. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

I can't imagine what the hell Ashley thinks she's doing, and I really don't know what I'm doing by watching anymore. What is her end game? Just keep deceiving everyone forever? WTH?

I might be more interested in her storyline if they gave the audience some indication of what, exactly, she's doing/hiding. Like, okay, she deleted some computer files, she hid Jon's note that was addressed to Delilah, there's something with an insurance policy that names all the friends and some unknown woman but not his wife, and she feels bad about it, kept it in her bag, almost gave it to Delilah, imagined Delilah's reaction, and decided against it. And now, apparently, the loan for the restaurant. But why? What does she have to do with it all?

17 hours ago, possibilities said:

Rome not getting rid of his suicide note after all this time is like Delilah not getting rid of the pregnancy test. I guess no one ever takes out the trash in that house.

And the pregnancy test wasn't even hidden…the box was peeking out from under the edge of the trash can lid so even if Gary hadn't used that bathroom, Rome was sure to see it later. If you're hiding a pregnancy from most of your friends, you don't leave the box clearly visible at your friend's house where her husband will almost certainly see it. You either take it with you or at least rip it up and bury it under other trash.

13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Finn Hudson would be disappointed in you, Shelly.

Ha! I didn't realize that was Finn's mom. (RIP Finn.)

13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm glad that Regina finally found out about Rome's depression, but where did she find his suicide note? Did he just fold it up and put it in his sock drawer or something? Why would she find it two weeks later? And Shelly found Delilah's pregnancy test? Are Regina and Rome secret hoarders?

I thought he did put it in his desk or somewhere. He didn't throw it out. (And he ordered a hockey-team-logo baby hat when he thought Regina was pregnant; Shelly saw that and assumed.)

What the hell with Regina's mom just walking into the restaurant and giving the contractor instructions? (Regina's reaction to her presence made it pretty clear she has not been involved before.) And if the loan wasn't a sure thing, how are they starting all this work? And how are she and Rome paying their rent/mortgage if neither of them is working an actual job? I shouldn't think so much about things.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, DearEvette said:

The again, Delilah is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. She still hasn't sought out a lawyer re Jon's estate.  And just found out a loan got denied and that doesn't set her spidey senses tingling that all might not be financially right in he rworld.

That bothers me too. There are so many things to be dealt with when someone dies - and she's done none of it. The assistant (who's name I forget) has done something - but mostly hiding Jon's secret. (BTW - so did Jon have an apartment on the side - she went to a different building to get that mail. We might be seeing him in a less positive light pretty soon).

3 hours ago, Dani said:

The fake out of Ashley giving Delilah the suicide note really pissed me off. For a brief moment I thought they were finally going to move that story forward. I hate that I had to watch another dramatic Delilah moment and then it wasn’t even real. Why does she always act like a toddler having a tantrum when she gets upset?

Me too.

1 hour ago, TVForever said:

Absolutely. I was like "hey, this is your wheelhouse lady - why are you looking like you never heard of it?"

50 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

In my life experience as a childfree woman, while there are men that decide they are childfree on principle, women are more firm in their stance, irrespective if they partnered or not, or if their partner wants kids or not. Makes sense, women are usually the primary caregivers and we have the gestational and health consequences men don’t have. So I can see Regina being a firm “NO” while Roman wavering.

My ex was adamantly anti-child. I was "eh" at the time (early 20's). So when I had bad side effects with the birth control - I told him he was the one who didn't want kids, so it was up to him to keep in from happening. So he did, and his genes won't be added to the gene pool, which is a good thing.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

Also I still believe Eddie is and has been more invested in this affair relationship than Delliah ever was or is. I mean yeah she didn’t go through with the abortion but that could just be something else. Not that it’s Ed’s baby.

But seriously since the pilot Ed has been all in on this, and Delliah has always been kind of not as much. At least from my perception. Ed was the one in the pilot whose side of the phone call we got, him wanting to end his marriage, we didn’t hear Delliahs side. And since then it has always felt like Ed wants them to be a thing, for real, and I’ve never got the vibe from Delliah that she has wanted this for the long haul.

In other news I like Maggie and Gary. I want those two crazy kids to work it out.

i hate the assistant stuff. Like damn.. don’t we already have a lot going on? Do we need this story of her being sketchy sketch, just because? 

• Love 4

My thoughts on Delilah not going for plan B is because maybe she thought she was too old to be fertile enough to get pregnant easily. I mean the actress is in her 40s and the role of Delilah seems more like someone in her mid-late 40s. Jon and Delilah just seemed like my business partner where he and his wife have really good friends who are 5-10 years younger than them.

Edited by fountain
10 minutes ago, fountain said:

My thoughts on Delilah not going for plan B is because maybe she thought she was too old to be fertile enough to get pregnant easily. I mean the actress is in her 40s and the role of Delilah seems more like someone in her mid-late 40s. Jon and Delilah just seemed like my business partner where he and his wife have really good friends who are 5-10 years younger than them.

Delilah is 43 years old (she said so in the last episode).  She is still very much in the child-bearing years.  That being said, I agree that she *seems* like someone who is older (not more mature, just older).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Delilah is 43 years old (she said so in the last episode).  She is still very much in the child-bearing years.  That being said, I agree that she *seems* like someone who is older (not more mature, just older).

I think she seems like early 40s. I think that she got lacks about contraception the way some women are at the end of their reproductive life. She probably figured that one condom breaking at 43 wouldn’t require her to get Plan B....and she was wrong. 

I don’t know why she didn’t have an abortion. Even if it was Jon’s baby I wouldn’t blame her (and it didn’t seem like anyone else would either), ignoring the obvious “she just doesn’t want to be pregnant any more”, she is a recent widow with two children already AND she’s 43! She might not want to be 60 at a high school graduation. Of course it’s Delilah’s choice regardless but I don’t think the choice has anything to do with Eddie at all. Other than maybe using him as an emotional crutch. 

Anyone want to guess that Eddie and Katherine have a reconciliation for more drama?!! And then she finds out about the baby? I can see it.....

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 1

"It has to be Jon's..."

Just when I thought Eddie and Delilah couldn't sink any lower, they decide they are going to now lie to their unborn child. Yep. That will work out wonderfully for everyone involved... but the child.

Like, these two just don't think. They want to build lies upon lies and in the end, the unborn child is going to be devastated when the truth gets out because eventually it always does. 

It would be better to tell the truth now to all the children and have them rightfully be angry and perhaps hate Eddie and Delilah. It just comes down to the fact that they don't want to face any consequences for their actions or truly make the situation better. These two are always so whiny and concerned about how bad things will make them look that they just dig themselves into deeper holes. But somehow Eddie is convinced he is going to always 'be there' and it won't bother him to not actively raise his love child or be acknowledged as the father. And Delilah is somehow convinced that her children might not grow a brain many years down the road and not see, "...Hey so and so looks a little like Uncle Eddie..." 

They are the most 'selfishly selfless' losers on television as of late. And yes I mean the selfless part because they both seem to have very high opinions of themselves and the 'sacrifices' they've had to make for their 'love'. They have no self-awareness when it comes to the lying and expect others to cover up shit for them (Can't believe Delilah thought Gina/Rome should keep that secret).  Every conversation has one of them on the verge of tears from 'denying their love' (Delilah) and 'proclaiming their love' (Eddie). It is so damn silly. If they really wanted things to be over, they would both have stopped seeing each other in any/all capacity. But neither (no matter how much Delilah says she 'can't do this anymore'...wtf did she come to see his show?? I think she secretly likes that he 'wants her') is really willing to cut the chord and now they won't be able to with a baby on the way that is 'Jon's and not Eddie's' *wink wink*.  

End of my rant.

Edited by Empress Josephine
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I must have missed that part, I don’t pay that much attention lol. The actor for Jon is in his 50s so I just thought they must have gone with them closer to the same age.

I am near 45, I personally don’t consider myself real fertile or at all in the “child bearing years”, and to be honest getting pregnant isn’t something I would worry about at my age so that I would think condoms were enough protection as I would mostly be worried about STDs. Sure older women have babies but not usually very easily, maybe a lucky one here and there, it isn’t impossible just not as statistically probable. So I cannot really fault Delilah for no birth control as being 44 myself I just wouldn’t think it was needed in multiple forms (condoms and something else).  Possibly her doctor also told her no to hormonal bc. That said the show should have gone with the abortion story line as that was pretty interesting, especially if it actually were Jon’s. Maybe they will have her miscarry and the stress of that will “break up” this thing with Eddie for good. ETA: and that can lead to start Eddie drinking again.

Edited by fountain
17 minutes ago, fountain said:

I must have missed that part, I don’t pay that much attention lol. The actor for Jon is in his 50s so I just thought they must have gone with them closer to the same age.

I am near 45, I personally don’t consider myself real fertile or at all in the “child bearing years”, and to be honest getting pregnant isn’t something I would worry about at my age so that I would think condoms were enough protection as I would mostly be worried about STDs. Sure older women have babies but not usually very easily, maybe a lucky one here and there, it isn’t impossible just not as statistically probable. So I cannot really fault Delilah for no birth control as being 44 myself I just wouldn’t think it was needed in multiple forms (condoms and something else).  Possibly her doctor also told her no to hormonal bc. That said the show should have gone with the abortion story line as that was pretty interesting, especially if it actually were Jon’s. Maybe they will have her miscarry and the stress of that will “break up” this thing with Eddie for good. ETA: and that can lead to start Eddie drinking again.

I think that you are not alone in thinking that someone in their mid-40s might not be able to get pregnant as easily.  One of my close friends is a doctor and she hears that frequently from her patients, usually at the first OB visit.  

Every doctor I've had has been very open about talking about birth control and making sure that is taken care of unless I *want* to be pregnant.  IUD's seem to be the thing and not all of them are hormonal.  In fact, one doctor I spoke to (not as a patient, though.  He is the husband as a friend) says that he rarely recommends anything other than that when asked by patients.   

This is why I'm having such a problem here.  I cannot suspend my disbelief enough for this pregnancy to make sense.  If they hadn't made such a point about Jon being a devout Catholic, perhaps I could have written it off to him having a vasectomy, but I really don't think that's the case.  Plus, my guess is that if he had had one, Gary, Rome, and Eddie would all know it and then trying to pass this kid off as Jon's wouldn't work.  It comes down to:

• I can't believe that Delilah was only using condoms for birth control.  
  • I can't believe that, if she were just using condoms for birth control, a broken condom would have been something that they just shrugged off.
  • I can't believe that she wouldn't have hightailed it down to the pharmacy for Plan B if the condom broke while she was having sex with her husband's best friend.

I get that sometimes we have to suspend disbelief to a point.  However, for a show such as this, which is "realistic" in nature, they are asking too much of me if they want me to buy this.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I thought he did put it in his desk or somewhere. He didn't throw it out.

I had to rewind because I thought her mom had found it and gave it to her during the elevator scene. We know she’s nosy. See next point. 

(And he ordered a hockey-team-logo baby hat when he thought Regina was pregnant; Shelly saw that and assumed.)

She didn’t just see the package or open the closed box. She literally unsealed the newly delivered package.  This pissed me off and still pisses me off.  I mean, who does that???

What the hell with Regina's mom just walking into the restaurant and giving the contractor instructions? (Regina's reaction to her presence made it pretty clear she has not been involved before.) 

See above point.  She clearly has no boundaries.  A real ‘mother know best’ type.  

Edited by Tdoc72
Sorry my replies are in the quote window. I can’t fix it!
On 11/1/2018 at 4:18 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Omigawd, you guys, if we didn't know that Eddie was a spoiled man child, we DEFINITELY know now. What kind of guy has the nerve to be upset that his married lover is pregnant with her husband's baby? How dare she have sex with her husband while having an affair with Eddie? His self-righteous indignation just made me roll my eyes. But then I totally cracked up at the lyrics playing over Eddie pouting in the car: "spoiled selfish little child." Yup.

It's not all that uncommon for those having an affair to claim they aren't sleeping with their spouse though. Whether it's true in every case is another story. I don't think Eddie was acting spoiled, he seemed genuinely hurt to think that Delilah and Jon were still sleeping together. 

This was obviously a deeply emotional affair for Eddie. I think it was emotional for Delilah as well, though she seems to have been able to pull back much easier. I find it interesting because the roles are reversed from the stereotype of the woman being in love while the man is just looking to scratch an itch.

19 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I think that you are not alone in thinking that someone in their mid-40s might not be able to get pregnant as easily.  One of my close friends is a doctor and she hears that frequently from her patients, usually at the first OB visit.  

Every doctor I've had has been very open about talking about birth control and making sure that is taken care of unless I *want* to be pregnant.  IUD's seem to be the thing and not all of them are hormonal.  In fact, one doctor I spoke to (not as a patient, though.  He is the husband as a friend) says that he rarely recommends anything other than that when asked by patients.   

This is why I'm having such a problem here.  I cannot suspend my disbelief enough for this pregnancy to make sense.  If they hadn't made such a point about Jon being a devout Catholic, perhaps I could have written it off to him having a vasectomy, but I really don't think that's the case.  Plus, my guess is that if he had had one, Gary, Rome, and Eddie would all know it and then trying to pass this kid off as Jon's wouldn't work.  It comes down to:

• I can't believe that Delilah was only using condoms for birth control.  
  • I can't believe that, if she were just using condoms for birth control, a broken condom would have been something that they just shrugged off.
  • I can't believe that she wouldn't have hightailed it down to the pharmacy for Plan B if the condom broke while she was having sex with her husband's best friend.

I get that sometimes we have to suspend disbelief to a point.  However, for a show such as this, which is "realistic" in nature, they are asking too much of me if they want me to buy this.

Almost half of all pregnancies in the US are unplanned. This storyline isn't unrealistic, in fact it's distressingly the opposite. 

As someone who is childfree by choice I can say that vigilance is key - condoms AND spermicide, Delilah, always have a backup!

• Love 9

I worked with a woman who had a partner who didn't want to get married for years. At 40 she got married, said no birth control to see what happened, and she got pregnant. They were happy and surprised at how quickly it happened. I left but a few years later I bumped into her in Trader Joes with 3 kids! One after the other, she joked, she used birth control now. She was tired but happy and never thought she'd be so fertile now.  She might be the minority but it happens.

I feel there is more than the heavy financial burden with Jon, that's the top thing, he was probably broke, life insurance kept some people afloat, but if he had a relationship that was hidden, well, then Eddie isn't too bad, he was a friend, big mistake, but Jon wasn't just the hard working absent husband who's wife wanted someone to cuddle with.  They might feel that will help Delilah redeem herself. 

According to one sight, chances of conceiving in any given month are also lower once you pass the big 4-0. A 40-year-old only has a 5 percent chance of getting pregnant per month.

• Love 2

So... I know that this is just the way this show rolls, but the timeline on this episode was all kinds of messed up.  First of all, Katherine goes out of town unexpectedly on the night of Eddie's gig, which: ok, I guess? But they're babysitting Theo during the day, Gary is at the bar with Eddie during soundcheck, leaves to take Delilah to her abortion while Maggie takes Theo to the park (to "TALK" to the ducks, which cracked me up), has time to go eat chicken and waffles with Delilah, return to the apartment and THEN go back to the gig? What on earth is Eddie DOING all day? Does soundcheck really take that long? And why is Theo spending the night at Gary's one bedroom apartment? Where was he sleeping BEFORE the night terrors? In Gary's bedroom? Why? And is all of this taking place on a Saturday - Theo's not in school, but then why is Katherine going away on business? And Delilah's doctor's office is open on a Saturday afternoon? 

I don't usually nitpick this kind of thing, but if this show is going to insist on episodes all taking place in one day, they need to get their shit together.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think she seems like early 40s. I think that she got lacks about contraception the way some women are at the end of their reproductive life. She probably figured that one condom breaking at 43 wouldn’t require her to get Plan B....and she was wrong. 

I don’t know why she didn’t have an abortion. Even if it was Jon’s baby I wouldn’t blame her (and it didn’t seem like anyone else would either), ignoring the obvious “she just doesn’t want to be pregnant any more”, she is a recent widow with two children already AND she’s 43! She might not want to be 60 at a high school graduation. Of course it’s Delilah’s choice regardless but I don’t think the choice has anything to do with Eddie at all. Other than maybe using him as an emotional crutch. 

Anyone want to guess that Eddie and Katherine have a reconciliation for more drama?!! And then she finds out about the baby? I can see it.....

I can't speak for anyone else - but in my 40's and until I was officially in menopause, I was crazy paranoid about birth control. I had my youngest at 38, and as I told the girls when they wanted a younger sibling "my factory is shut down" (metaphorically, it didn't actually shut down for another 15 or so years). I am risk averse, and I seriously did not want another child.

I may have been that paranoid because my great-grandmother's youngest children were younger than my father by a number of years, despite the fact that his mother (my grandmother) was not a young teen mother, but mature and married.

In any case, it is baffling to me that Delilah would have an affair - and if we take her at her word, not having sex with Jon - and not have some form of BC in addition to condoms - because, they do break.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Almost half of all pregnancies in the US are unplanned. This storyline isn't unrealistic, in fact it's distressingly the opposite. 

As someone who is childfree by choice I can say that vigilance is key - condoms AND spermicide, Delilah, always have a backup!

I was a little blown away by that statistic and had to look it up and, wow, it was true.  And then I read further and it still doesn't hold water.  (As an aside, apparently my son would be considered "unplanned" by this study as we were not planning to try for #2 until the next month...so, my personal rate is 50% among my pregnancies that went to term.  I guess I'm average?).  Anyway:

1 - 50% is a blanket statement and does not hold water across all demographics.  It's like the mythical "50% divorce rate."  That's not really correct when you look at the numbers.

2 - Demographics plays a HUGE part in this number.  The group with the lowest percentage of unwanted pregnancies are white, middle and upper-class women in their 40s...so, you know, Delilah.  The highest rate is among low-income women, ages 20-24. 

3 - And while fertility does start to decrease as women enter their 40s, it's not so much that it makes an impact here.  The biggest impact is the use of long-term contraceptives (such as our friend, the IUD).  The groups who have access to health insurance and doctors who tell them about their options have a far, far lower rate of unwanted pregnancies.  Also, since Delilah was not just a "white middle class in her 40s" but a woman who had multiple sexual partners, it seems even less likely that she would be lax on the birth control.

Since this study supports the idea that Delilah is precisely the sort of woman who would *not* end up in this position, my disbelief remains unsuspended.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Dani said:

At least the suicide note was on screen long enough that I was able to read most of it but it doesn’t really answer any questions. (I’ll post a screenshot in the spoilers thread in case anyone wants to read it.)

This really annoyed me. At this point, I'm not as intrigued by the mystery as much as I am annoyed at Ashley and the writers for dragging this on for so long. And unrealistically. I know I sound like a broken record, but I cannot believe Delilah wouldn't know anything about her husband's finances or business dealings. How is she buying food or paying bills? How did she pay for the funeral? They don't seem like the type of family that puts all of their money in a checking account. 

On 11/1/2018 at 12:49 AM, tennisgurl said:

I like Regina and Rome a lot, and Regina finding his suicide note was really affecting. I do roll my eyes at Rome secretly wanting kids. Of course, a couple cant just decide not to have kids! That would be unthinkable! Without kid, whats even the point of marriage?!?!

Yes, that scene was very dramatic and moving. I really like them as a couple, but--and this seems to be an unpopular opinion-- I can't warm up to Regina for some reason. I mean, she says the right things, but I don't get emotionally affected by her words. I don't know if it's the actress or the writing. Rome, I really like and connect with him more. 

I do have a question: is it normal for a spouse to be angry when they find out their spouse is depressed and suicidal? I guess Regina felt betrayed that Rome never told her how he was feeling or that he'd planned to kill himself and leave her behind, but did it ever occur to her that he didn't know how to express those feelings? And when she mentioned that at Jon's funeral they'd said, 'how could he have done this?' I wanted to point out that she'd said that, not Rome. Rome knew exactly what feelings would make someone contemplate suicide. I guess I didn't like that Regina approached Rome accusingly and with anger, and not with concern and sadness that her spouse didn't feel like his life was worth living. 

I know that even in 2018, suicide is considered a selfish act. But Regina seems like she'd be sophisticated enough not to fall into that antiquated belief system. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I believe it! I have two sisters. Of the three of us, I was the only one my parents planned on having. They were NOT trying to get pregnant at all when my mom got pregnant with each of my younger sisters. It was no secret in our family that they were both surprise babies (I may have been known to tell them that they were accidents when we were kids).

Now that I think about it, I also know several couples whose babies were totally unplanned. One of my friends had just finished grad school and was moving across the country to start a new job when she found out she was pregnant. They were definitely not trying to get pregnant. She and her husband had talked about having kids eventually but they were thinking years later. They were completely unprepared and as a result they weren't sure whether to have the baby or not since their lives were pretty chaotic at that point (her husband was still looking for a job in their new city and she had just been hired so she didn't think it would be a good idea to show up for her first day or work and tell them that she'd be taking maternity leave in less than a year). They ended up keeping the baby but they haven't had any since then (and it's been almost a decade).

Another friend and her husband had decided that they did not want to have kids long before they even got married. Two months before she turned 41, she found out she was pregnant. They were initially unsure about what to do because they had never planned to have kids. They ended up having the baby too. Someone else I know accidentally got pregnant with her on-again off-again boyfriend when she was 39. They were DEFINITELY not trying to get pregnant. She is one of those freaky TLC stories on top of that - she didn't know she was pregnant because she was still somehow getting her period. One friend I know got pregnant while she was in grad school. She ended up marrying her boyfriend. They had another kid about five years later and after that she said she was done having kids. A few years later she got pregnant again and ended up having that one too.

A male friend and his wife had been trying to get pregnant for several years. When he finished his post-doc and he got a more permanent job, they decided to adopt. A few months after the adoption was finalized, his wife got pregnant. They weren't trying to get pregnant anymore because they just figured it wasn't going to happen and then BAM!

I swear, it's not just that I know a bunch of extremely fertile people. I also know a lot of people who tried for years before they were able to get pregnant too. But I had never realized just how many of my friends' kids were totally unplanned (and not in a "we'll stop using birth control and just see what happens" kind of way).

So yeah, accidental pregnancies happen a lot in real life. I just think it's dumb that a married woman who's having an affair with a married man wouldn't be a lot more vigilant. If I were Delilah, I would have told Eddie that sex required a condom AND spermicide at the very least. I'm a paranoid person though. I would have bought a box of menstrual discs and used those too just to be on the safe side! Isn't peace of mind and pregnancy free sex worth spending $20 at CVS? If Jon were alive, would she have kept the baby? Would she have lied and said it was his? Would she have gone through with having an abortion so there was no proof of an affair?

In the first episode, Eddie was insisting that they had to tell Katherine and Jon about their affair THAT DAY. If Jon hadn't jumped, was Delilah really ready to leave her husband (and her kids) to be with Eddie? Or was that all Eddie fantasizing out loud? Would they really have gone through with it (and potentially breaking up their friend group)?

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, topanga said:

I do have a question: is it normal for a spouse to be angry when they find out their spouse is depressed and suicidal? I guess Regina felt betrayed that Rome never told her how he was feeling or that he'd planned to kill himself and leave her behind, but did it ever occur to her that he didn't know how to express those feelings? And when she mentioned that at Jon's funeral they'd said, 'how could he have done this?' I wanted to point out that she'd said that, not Rome. Rome knew exactly what feelings would make someone contemplate suicide. I guess I didn't like that Regina approached Rome accusingly and with anger, and not with concern and sadness that her spouse didn't feel like his life was worth living. 

I know that even in 2018, suicide is considered a selfish act. But Regina seems like she'd be sophisticated enough not to fall into that antiquated belief system. 

Anger is the flip side of fear. At that moment she was reacting, not thinking. I don't think she wasn't concerned - I think she had a lot of emotions raging through her at the same time. Once they started talking, as I recall, she responding more like we would expect.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

I haven't read all the above posts so, forgive me if this is a repeat.  I have two questions:

1.  Can we safely assume that Ashley and Jon were sleeping together or that he has a whole separate life with her?

2.  How will they either a.  make Maggie choose the chemo or b. somehow make her live (scans were wrong, etc?)  They sure are dragging that out.  And, for someone who is supposed to be dying of cancer within months, she seems remarkably healthy and energetic.  

And, while I understand it happens A LOT, I do have a hard time understanding WHY there are so many unplanned pregnancies.  Heck, birth control is FREE and readily available.  It just doesn't make sense to me:  if you don't want to get pregnant, be smart and make sure you don't--especially if you're having an affair with your husband's best friend!  As the mom of four kids, all of whom were planned, it just doesn't seem that hard to me.  Obviously birth control has been known to fail, but I would guess that accounts for a very low number of unplanned pregnancies.  And I'm not just talking about hormonal high school kids; this happens to adults, married and unmarried, all the time.  My own mother had three unplanned pregnancies.  I just can't wrap my brain around how that happens.  If you're not using birth control, you're basically "trying" to get pregnant, aren't you?

• Love 1

I feel bad that some people seem really irked by this show, if not outright hate it. I am really, really enjoying it. I'm not worried if the timelines don't add up (every show has some type of continuity errors), and I think all of these characters are likable and unlikable in many different ways - just like in real life! People are selfish, stubborn, childish, petty, mean - as well as supportive, loving, caring, funny...scared, sad, lonely...bitchy, sarcastic, secretive...etc etc etc. I think all of the actors are doing a great job. 

But...

...after this last episode, even I will admit that Delilah's crying, sniffly, feel-sorry-for-me act is wearing a bit thin. And I agree that lying about the baby is a terrible, terrible idea. I hope they decide not to continue with that ruse. Truth will out.

Still think the actress is doing a great job. I like the writing, I'm invested in the characters, and I'm in for the duration.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Julia67 said:

I haven't read all the above posts so, forgive me if this is a repeat.  I have two questions:

1.  Can we safely assume that Ashley and Jon were sleeping together or that he has a whole separate life with her?

2.  How will they either a.  make Maggie choose the chemo or b. somehow make her live (scans were wrong, etc?)  They sure are dragging that out.  And, for someone who is supposed to be dying of cancer within months, she seems remarkably healthy and energetic.  

And, while I understand it happens A LOT, I do have a hard time understanding WHY there are so many unplanned pregnancies.  Heck, birth control is FREE and readily available.  It just doesn't make sense to me:  if you don't want to get pregnant, be smart and make sure you don't--especially if you're having an affair with your husband's best friend!  As the mom of four kids, all of whom were planned, it just doesn't seem that hard to me.  Obviously birth control has been known to fail, but I would guess that accounts for a very low number of unplanned pregnancies.  And I'm not just talking about hormonal high school kids; this happens to adults, married and unmarried, all the time.  My own mother had three unplanned pregnancies.  I just can't wrap my brain around how that happens.  If you're not using birth control, you're basically "trying" to get pregnant, aren't you?

Ugh. As a woman I can say with certainty that women are often very, very stupid when it comes to men and sex.

A cautionary oversharing story: My sister got divorced a couple of years ago and recently reconnected with an old high school acquaintance. They started hooking up and, despite the fact that she does not want children, had unprotected sex with him at least once, if not more - he was sweet-talking her and she got "swept up in the moment". My sister is 45 years old. Thankfully, no pregnancy, but the "relationship" went south quickly and it became apparent that his only interest was in having some fun times On Demand - she was nothing but a booty call, and yet she fell for his line of bull too many times, until she finally wised up. Imagine if she had become pregnant with this tool's baby? And her attitude was almost nonchalant about it, even though she knows a pregnancy would have been a disaster. I ripped her a new one several times over her careless, scratch that, RECKLESS behavior.

Edited by Gothish520
typos
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I swear, it's not just that I know a bunch of extremely fertile people. I also know a lot of people who tried for years before they were able to get pregnant too. But I had never realized just how many of my friends' kids were totally unplanned (and not in a "we'll stop using birth control and just see what happens" kind of way).

So yeah, accidental pregnancies happen a lot in real life.

You and your friends have fascinating lives! Question, do you know if your friends with accidental pregnancies were consistently using birth control at the time? In other words, were these all birth control failures? If so, that is a very high failure rate. 

21 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I feel bad that some people seem really irked by this show, if not outright hate it. I am really, really enjoying it. I'm not worried if the timelines don't add up (every show has some type of continuity errors), and I think all of these characters are likable and unlikable in many different ways - just like in real life! People are selfish, stubborn, childish, petty, mean - as well as supportive, loving, caring, funny...scared, sad, lonely...bitchy, sarcastic, secretive...etc etc etc. I think all of the actors are doing a great job. 

But...

...after this last episode, even I will admit that Delilah's crying, sniffly, feel-sorry-for-me act is wearing a bit thin. And I agree that lying about the baby is a terrible, terrible idea. I hope they decide not to continue with that ruse. Truth will out.

Still think the actress is doing a great job. I like the writing, I'm invested in the characters, and I'm in for the duration.

I still enjoy the show overall. And I watched the pilot out of spite--I just knew I'd hate the show. But I was immediately hooked and still am, so some extent.

The premise of the show is still interesting, in a "Big Chill for a New Millennium" kind of way. But there are areas of bad writing and bad characterization that make me feel like the show is squandering its potential.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, topanga said:

The premise of the show is still interesting, in a "Big Chill for a New Millennium" kind of way. But there are areas of bad writing and bad characterization that make me feel like the show is squandering its potential.

Co-sign.  There are things that are FANTASTIC about this show and I do really want it to succeed.  It is because of this that the flaws are so, so distracting and disappointing to me.  I'm willing to forgive some things from the pilot, but these problems extend past the pilot.  

I do think this show can right itself, but the viewers shouldn't be the ones doing the "righting."  That's DJ Nash's responsibility.

• Love 3

Everyone has already said what I thought about this show (UGH, Delilah. Ugh, Eddie. Game night. Pizza night. These people are too far up into each other's lives all the damn time). So, as not to be to repetitive, a question: I missed where Ashley was with the mailbox full of past due bills?

I don't necessarily think it's that Jon and Ashley were having an affair, tho this show won't surprise me if that's what it is. But clearly something shady. I think we'll eventually learn enough that we're supposed to find Jon a kind of horrible guy with secrets, which will be supposed to make us forgive Eddie and Delilah for being creepy cheaters (tho their friends already have, within, like, mere seconds, which: whatever, show). 

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, luna1122 said:

Everyone has already said what I thought about this show (UGH, Delilah. Ugh, Eddie. Game night. Pizza night. These people are far up into each other's lives all the damn time). So, as not to be to repetitive, a question: I missed where Ashley was with the mailbox full of past due bills?

I don't necessarily think it's that Jon and Ashley were having an affair, tho this show won't surprise me if that's what it is. But clearly something shady. I think we'll eventually learn enough that we're supposed to find Jon a kind of horrible guy with secrets, which will be supposed to make us forgive Eddie and Delilah for being creepy cheaters (tho their friends already have, within, like, mere seconds, which: whatever, show). 

Haha, yes, it's obviously the point of the show I guess, but I could never deal with a circle of friends who were all up in my business like that.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, topanga said:

You and your friends have fascinating lives! Question, do you know if your friends with accidental pregnancies were consistently using birth control at the time? In other words, were these all birth control failures? If so, that is a very high failure rate.

Yes, they were using birth control - one was even using double birth control! The only one who wasn't using birth control was the couple that adopted because they thought it wasn't possible for them to get pregnant after all those years of trying.

2 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Haha, yes, it's obviously the point of the show I guess, but I could never deal with a circle of friends who were all up in my business like that.

I feel like they're still not quite as bad as the Bravermans on Parenthood in terms of being all up in each other's business so they haven't crossed that threshold (yet)! I know that's a pretty low bar to set though.

• Love 3
On 10/31/2018 at 9:42 PM, chitowngirl said:

I said it last week and I’ll say it again-they do move these stories along. Any speculation that we have about many things that happen in an episode get answered and stories move forward. Except for Jon’s Big Secret. I wish they’d just wrap that up since it seems to have no place with the rest of the friend’s stories.

They need to get on with the "big secret" -- and thanks to the poster who shared the screenshot of the letter which revealed almost nothing :-(  UGH.  ENOUGH ALREADY - SPILL!

On 11/1/2018 at 10:20 AM, izabella said:

What is Ashley's problem?  I really wanted that scene she imagined of giving Delilah the suicide note and folder, and Delilah going off on her, to have been real.  And then we got the fakeout instead.  She's hiding so much, but we have no idea who she even is, much less why she has taken it upon herself to do whatever the fuck she thinks she's doing to this family.

Yeah - I definitely need to know WHY she is hiding all of this from Jon's family.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, luna1122 said:

DWFGina:

Yeah - I definitely need to know WHY she is hiding all of this from Jon's family.

There is a side to Ashley and Jon's relationship which is true to life.  Do you remember the second episode when Delilah and company were trying to get into Jon's phone and tablet?  Without missing a beat, they handed these over to Ashley because they assumed Ashley would know all of Jon's passwords.  To put a finer point on it-- a busy person like Jon wouldn't hide anything from Ashley because he knows that hiding things from her only wastes time.

It would make perfect sense for Jon's assistant to hesitate before turning everything over.  She probably feels protective of Jon, even though he's gone.  So there is a tremendous opportunity to underplay the Ashley character and let her develop naturally as things unfold.

Of course, underplaying characters is not really how the writers have done things so far. . .

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

It would make perfect sense for Jon's assistant to hesitate before turning everything over.  She probably feels protective of Jon, even though he's gone.  So there is a tremendous opportunity to underplay the Ashley character and let her develop naturally as things unfold.

But she's doing more than that. She's hiding aspects of his finances: I can't tell if there's an insurance policy or other account that lists Delilah's name. And she keeps look at some other random list with people's names on them? What are these documents, and why does she refuse to give them to the intended recipients? Beyond frustrating at this point. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Ugh. As a woman I can say with certainty that women are often very, very stupid when it comes to men and sex.

A cautionary oversharing story: My sister got divorced a couple of years ago and recently reconnected with an old high school acquaintance. They started hooking up and, despite the fact that she does not want children, had unprotected sex with him at least once, if not more - he was sweet-talking her and she got "swept up in the moment". My sister is 45 years old. Thankfully, no pregnancy, but the "relationship" went south quickly and it became apparent that his only interest was in having some fun times On Demand - she was nothing but a booty call, and yet she fell for his line of bull too many times, until she finally wised up. Imagine if she had become pregnant with this tool's baby? And her attitude was almost nonchalant about it, even though she knows a pregnancy would have been a disaster. I ripped her a new one several times over her careless, scratch that, RECKLESS behavior.

On the non-pregnancy side of it - my own overshare. I have a friend who recently divorced (post-menopausal), and was eager to date. I told her to be sure to get some condoms. She was "why would I need them? I can't get pregnant." Umm, STDs, my friend. It had never occurred to her.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, topanga said:

This really annoyed me. At this point, I'm not as intrigued by the mystery as much as I am annoyed at Ashley and the writers for dragging this on for so long. And unrealistically. I know I sound like a broken record, but I cannot believe Delilah wouldn't know anything about her husband's finances or business dealings. How is she buying food or paying bills? How did she pay for the funeral? They don't seem like the type of family that puts all of their money in a checking account. 

Yes, that scene was very dramatic and moving. I really like them as a couple, but--and this seems to be an unpopular opinion-- I can't warm up to Regina for some reason. I mean, she says the right things, but I don't get emotionally affected by her words. I don't know if it's the actress or the writing. Rome, I really like and connect with him more. 

I can see why you’d feel that way about Regina and share some of that too. My own desire for more Regina stems from I feel she and Rome are the characters I’m most interested in. 

So much so I could tell I’m on a different wavelength than the show runners this week. When Regina found the note (pause- I take issue with this plot contrivance of her finding his suicide note. For dogs sake did no one ever have parents growing up in this show?  You destroy evidence. These asshats left joints on the kitchen counter when mom and pops were out of town I guess).  But anyway-for for the first time I was choked up at Rome and his confession of sadness.  I felt the actor nailed it. If I was over that show it would have been end scene cut to previews for next episode. 

The showrunners think I’m more invested in Eddie and Delilah and cut to her (fucking weepy looking with the D Face) even at his concert. They also think I want to hear Ed sing like they did at the Peach Pit on 90210. For a 43 year old Delilah is quite reactive. I’m pretty sure I’d sit and really think things through before revealing to Eddie he’s the father. Telling that with the caveat of “we keep this to ourselves” is not something to be handled backstage at a rando bar. 

Wonder if the writers are sitting around thinking how they’ll do the reveal. A senior writer will have a moment of clarity and go I know!!!  Delilah will get a paternity test and Theo will find it amongst his report card!  That’s what all adults do with shit they want to make sure no one finds!

• Love 5