Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Unexpected

• Start Topic

I'll be honest. I'm gonna keep watching because I can snark on here about the show afterward. I find that it's actually kind of fun to snark about the show, rather than trying to take it seriously.

Plus, there are some things that I do enjoy. Eddie/Theo....Gary, somewhat....Katherine....the inevitable revelation to Sophie about her mom's affair....Regina and sometimes Rome....that's about it.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'll be honest. I'm gonna keep watching because I can snark on here about the show afterward. I find that it's actually kind of fun to snark about the show, rather than trying to take it seriously.

Plus, there are some things that I do enjoy. Eddie/Theo....Gary, somewhat....Katherine....the inevitable revelation to Sophie about her mom's affair....Regina and sometimes Rome....that's about it.

You are my person...

I don't let myself "hate-watch" shows, so if I hated this show, I wouldn't watch it.  There is a lot that's really good here and that's what is keeping me when the show does its best to be ridiculous and predictable.  But, also, the snarking is fun.  I'm a reader and I do some writing, so how stories work is very important to me.  Sometimes watching this show is an exercise in finding out what works and what doesn't because it has so much in both categories.

And if the shit ever FINALLY hits the fan for Delilah I WILL BE HERE FOR THAT!

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 5

Yeah, that's me too.  If I dislike more elements of a show than I like, or if watching it leaves me with more negative feelings about the show than positive ones, then I'll stop. 

This show is one where I like elements of it enough to keep watching and I think the show has potential to be better.  The bones are there, they just have to find the meat.  In the meantime, I get to vent about the things that I think stop the show from reaching what could make it really great.

• Love 6

@HazelEyes4325 and @DearEvette, I agree with you both, I dont hate-watch shows, and would not continue to watch a show if there were more negative than positive aspects. I've dropped shows after being in for three seasons or more because there was too much wrong and not enough right.

I see a lot more positive in this show than negative right now, but it's always interesting to hear other people's interpretation of things. I'm usually the one who plays devil's avocate and tries to understand people's motivations, and I'm more forgiving when it comes to human beings making mistakes. That doesn't mean I won't be glad to rake someone over the coals if they really deserve it, LOL!

Delilah's day is coming, I'm sure, because you know if and when her daughter finds out about the affair and baby paternity, she's gonna go OFF. 

Just now, Clanstarling said:

For me the key is how long it takes me to watch it. So far, despite my complaints, I have been watching the next day (when it appears on my queue. 

I agree! I DVR all of my shows so I can watch at my leisure, and as soon as this one is available and I'm available, I watch it, LOL. It's also one of those shows that I watch twice, usually once by myself and once with my sister.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

For me the key is how long it takes me to watch it. So far, despite my complaints, I have been watching the next day (when it appears on my queue. 

I've been watching every episode the next morning...until this one.  I had to force myself to watch this one several days later.

• Love 1

I watch this show the next morning, mostly because I cannot stay awake to watch it in real time. I'm usually watching for Katherine and Eddie, (and their poor helicopter-parented child) but it looks like Katherine isn't going to get much of a storyline, so my time with this show may be limited.  I came for two actors, James Roday and David Giuntoli, and I like Ron Livingston as well. But the writing is haphazard, the story is told for big 'moments' rather than earning the storyline, and oh, I don't know, it just could be so. much. better. 

However, I love all the shots of Boston. My hometown. It's on my DVR and I'll stick with it for awhile longer. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

think what helps Eddie get at least some likability is his dad behavior. I like him with Theo.

I don’t even like him there with his weird blase attitude about Theo having night terrors.

38 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t even like him there with his weird blase attitude about Theo having night terrors.

Actually, I bought that.  As someone whose child used to have night terrors, the worst thing you can do is flip out over them.  In fact, what I found unrealistic is that Theo didn't REALLY flip out when Gary and Maggie were doing exactly what you are NOT supposed to do when a child has night terrors.  The medical advice we got was just to be as calm as possible and they'll "grow out of it."  (But, as I said earlier, we got other advice that was far more effective!)

• Love 3
19 hours ago, kazza said:

<raises hand> I *like* most of the subplots and characters. Maggie's the only one I find mildly irritating with her perfect quips and Division 1 basketball pedigree, but I suspect that's more my problem than the character's. I don't even dislike Delilah that much. She just looks awful most of the time, which is probably realistic given what she's going through. Gary cracks me up, I'm invested in Rome and Regina's story, and the Eddie/Katherine/Jon triangle continues to intrigue me. 

I was amused by her basketball skills because some years ago I went to my mom's 40th high school reunion with her (my dad was sick) and on the way in there were several blown-up pages from the yearbook, including my tiny, maybe 5'1" mother (I'm 5'4" and if I stand next to her I can look straight over the top of her head) listed as "most athletic" for playing basketball. I was like, "really?" (Granted, she was in high school in the late 50s/early60s, so I'm guessing the general skill level was a tad lower than girls' basketball these days.)

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I've watched every episode in real time except one, which I watched on demand the next day. I had to stop it at around 45 minutes in, and when I went to resume it half an hour later it didn't remember where I was so I would have had to start it over. I didn't feel like re-watching 45 minutes of show just for the last 15... but I don't feel like I missed anything. Whether that says something about the show or just about how much actual attention I pay it, I don't know.

• Love 2

For the hate-watchers, Television Without Pity (RIP, predecessor to Previously) was the best for snarky re-caps and forums.

On November 3, 2018 at 8:37 PM, possibilities said:

I also wonder what happened to Ashley's job now that the person she assisted is no longer there. She's acting like there's been no change at all.

I'm very confused by this too. The company was named after Jon. If it were a large company, somebody else (not his secretary) would have taken over by now. If it was just Jon and his assistant, Ashley, then the company would be liquidated now (but by an attorney or accountant, not by Ashley). So WTH is Ashley doing?

Edited by smartymarty
others already identified snarkiness as hate-watching.
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, smartymarty said:

I'm very confused by this too. The company was named after Jon. If it were a large company, somebody else (not his secretary) would have taken over by now. If it was just Jon and his assistant, Ashley, then the company would be liquidated now (but by an attorney or accountant, not by Ashley). So WTH is Ashley doing?

Yes.  This is one of my frustrations with the show and I think I point out some version of this each week.  LOL.

Delilah should have consulted an estate lawyer by now to see exactly what has to happen with all Jon's assets.  By all accounts she is a stay at home mom with no other external income.  Jon is not alive to continue his business so theoretically no new money is coming in.   Is she aware of investments?  Did she even ask about a life insurance policy?  Is she not concerned about the future? Even if they were wealthy, money is not limitless if it isn't growing.

Given what (little) we've seen of Jon's workplace, it looks like he was a one man shop with Ashley as his assistant, otherwise there would have been other people/partners in and out of that office after his death.  So yeah, if Jon isn't there to conduct business then WTH is Ashley doing indeed and why isn't Delilah more concerned?

• Love 8
10 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Yes.  This is one of my frustrations with the show and I think I point out some version of this each week.  LOL.

Delilah should have consulted an estate lawyer by now to see exactly what has to happen with all Jon's assets.  By all accounts she is a stay at home mom with no other external income.  Jon is not alive to continue his business so theoretically no new money is coming in.   Is she aware of investments?  Did she even ask about a life insurance policy?  Is she not concerned about the future? Even if they were wealthy, money is not limitless if it isn't growing.

Given what (little) we've seen of Jon's workplace, it looks like he was a one man shop with Ashley as his assistant, otherwise there would have been other people/partners in and out of that office after his death.  So yeah, if Jon isn't there to conduct business then WTH is Ashley doing indeed and why isn't Delilah more concerned?

That is true, lawyers should be talking to Delilah and the "dumb wife" persona, of her on phone, "Why am I getting rejected, I never do? " is a bit much.  The assistant stalling with assurance it's a mistake is so stupid, I just push it aside and think the writers haven't a clue what happens after death and think rich men keep everything from their wives.

• Love 2
On 11/8/2018 at 3:13 AM, debraran said:

That is true, lawyers should be talking to Delilah and the "dumb wife" persona, of her on phone, "Why am I getting rejected, I never do? " is a bit much.  The assistant stalling with assurance it's a mistake is so stupid, I just push it aside and think the writers haven't a clue what happens after death and think rich men keep everything from their wives.

There is one thing that the writers are (accidentally) getting right.   In our town, we had a small business owner pass away the same way as Jon.  We all figured,  "People die all the time.  Business owners die all the time.  Surely, somebody will take care of the details such as closing the checking accounts and picking up the leased car."

Nope.

I was younger then, and more naive, but I remember being surprised that mail kept showing up, the electricity stayed on, and the leased car just sat there.

But I agree with you, a person as sophisticated as Jon would have a lawyer who would have stepped in by now, if for no other reason than to collect billable hours.

2 hours ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

But I agree with you, a person as sophisticated as Jon would have a lawyer who would have stepped in by now, if for no other reason than to collect billable hours.

And also...if Jon had found himself in some nefarious business waters, to the point that he's hiding documents and saying in his suicide note how he doesn't want to implicate people, I would think he would make some legal precautions for his wife.  Otherwise, when the police or whoever figure out what was going on, who are they going to go to?  Delilah.

ETA: I don't think they would go after her criminally, but they sure as hell could seize the house, cars, accounts, etc.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

ETA: I don't think they would go after her criminally, but they sure as hell could seize the house, cars, accounts, etc.

And this goes back to something that @debraran said about Jon not wanting to end up in prison, unable to care for his family.

I'm a geek about true crime stories, and not that we should feel sorry for them, but most of the con artists interviewed have said the same thing.  The one thing they feel bad about is the government seizing all of the ill-gotten gains, leaving their families not only penniless, but deep in debt.  And they sit in prison, unable to do anything about it.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 2
On 11/1/2018 at 7:09 PM, ams1001 said:

And the pregnancy test wasn't even hidden…the box was peeking out from under the edge of the trash can lid so even if Gary hadn't used that bathroom, Rome was sure to see it later. If you're hiding a pregnancy from most of your friends, you don't leave the box clearly visible at your friend's house where her husband will almost certainly see it. You either take it with you or at least rip it up and bury it under other trash.

I couldn't get past that the box and the suicide note were in the *trash*. Massachusetts has a pretty robust recycling program. 

Edited by AheadofStraight
  • Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:49 PM, Empress Josephine said:

Like, these two just don't think. They want to build lies upon lies and in the end, the unborn child is going to be devastated when the truth gets out because eventually it always does. 

Why does everyone on this show lie so reflexively? People, not one of you is capable of keeping a secret. No one you know can do it. (Except Ashley, apparently.) Your secrets will come out -- usually in a matter of days, if not hours.

• Love 1