Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Unexpected

• Start Topic

I said it last week and I’ll say it again-they do move these stories along. Any speculation that we have about many things that happen in an episode get answered and stories move forward. Except for Jon’s Big Secret. I wish they’d just wrap that up since it seems to have no place with the rest of the friend’s stories.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 10

Well, that was an opening. Just jumping straight into the Big Secret. 

Throughout the episode, I hoped that Delilah was telling the truth about it being Jon's baby. How awesome would that have been if she was truthful and it put an end to the Delilah/Eddie no-mance? Especially once Eddie thought that Delilah was having sex with both men at the same time. But I was really anticipating for the bait-and-switch. And they certainly baited and switched...with an actual abortion storyline! I never thought they'd even entertain the idea! And then....this fucking show did a second bait-and-switch with her not going through with it. FUCK. I feel like I can only respond through swear words when it comes to Delilah now. And then, on top of it all, to nobody's surprise, the baby is fucking Eddie's. 

Also, Eddie keeps saying the "L-Word" but she hasn't said it back once. Also, I hope she's also lying about not having slept with Jon at all. 

I'm getting pissed off that the group is officially totally fine with the affair and acting like they're all besties again. Oops, Delilah had sex with Eddie and Jon at the same time! Oh, poor wittle Eddie's feelings are hurt. Poor Eddie...who was...y'know....also cheating. My god, can this show get any worse? 

Though, to Eddie's credit, he's a pretty good dad. I like that he had a full extensive list for Gary and Maggie about Theo. I am happy to see shows where the dad isn't incompetent or working a lot or taking a backseat with the parenting. Plus, Theo's a pretty cool kid. The kid got his smarts from his mother, clearly. But David Giuntoli really sells the love that Eddie has for his son. His relief when he saw Theo come to his show was pretty good. It is still a ticking clock as to when Eddie will start drinking again so....I guess it's time to start placing bets. I'm betting it'll happen by episode 10. 

I KNEW that Rome would want kids. I KNEW IT. C'mon show, you're totally cliche. Of course Regina will change her mind as well. Jesus Christ, this show is horribly written and horribly cliche. 

Gina's mother is pretty nosey and can nobody keep a damn secret on this show? Well, except for Eddie and Delilah, who are expert liars. 

Ok, on the one hand, I'm glad there's a male/female friendship with Gary/Delilah. But on the other hand....am I just reading into it, or does it seem like Gary has feelings for Delilah, or had feelings for Delilah at one point? He's weirdly....protective of her, but in a way that makes me wonder if we'll get some confession scene out of him. Maybe it's just my worry. 

I will say, the first moment that really got me was Regina finding Rome's suicide note. Damn, that was surprisingly well done for this show. That Rome/Regina scene is really why they need to be in the forefront. 

I'm not crazy in thinking that Eddie's singing voice is by a totally different person, right? It sounds nothing like David's voice and it definitely sounds heavily autotuned. But I don't know for sure. 

• Love 23
1 minute ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah I totally called her not going through with the abortion. Also the fact that the baby is eddies wasn’t a surpirise. This episode being titled “unexpected” must be the writers making a joke. Everything was expected.

Exactly. I actually was trying to think of what was unexpected in this episode and the ONLY thing I can think of is Theo's night terrors. That was unexpected for me. Everything else? I either called it or wasn't shocked when it was revealed.

• Love 6

I haven't even watched this yet (West Coast and next-day Hulu viewer), but stupid Facebook spoiled it and now I'm not sure I even want to watch this.  I hope this episode was better than it sounds like.

Oh, Eddie and Delilah baby?  Just ugh...  What the fuck is this show thinking? (Also, I would like to see David Giuntoli in a show where he doesn't get someone "inappropriate" pregnant.  Just sayin')

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I haven't even watched this yet (West Coast and next-day Hulu viewer), but stupid Facebook spoiled it and now I'm not sure I even want to watch this.  I hope this episode was better than it sounds like.

The episode does have its decent moments. Delilah isn't in it as much as you think (though she's still in it a fair bit).

• Love 2

Setting aside everything involving Delilah this was my favorite episode so far.

I loved all the focus on Gina. The scene when she finds the suicide note was so well done and had me tearing up for the first time. I didn’t like the baby stuff but I hope it is just Rome desperately looking for meaning and happiness and as he deals with is depression he will realize that he doesn’t need kids to be happy  

I liked seeing Gary and Maggie together when they weren’t focused on her cancer or fighting. Their scenes with Theo were fun.  

I like Eddie in any scene where is isn’t with Delilah. 

The show either needs to reveal the mystery of Jon’s death or drop it entirely. Dragging it out just highlights the fact that the show makes no sense logically. The fakeout promo with the suicide note did not help my interest at all. 

Edited by Guest

I like Regina and Rome a lot, and Regina finding his suicide note was really affecting. I do roll my eyes at Rome secretly wanting kids. Of course, a couple cant just decide not to have kids! That would be unthinkable! Without kid, whats even the point of marriage?!?!

Its super weird how everyone just seems to be cool with Eddie and Delilah and their affair, and all have game nights and hugs and such, even knowing what they did, and that their affair could have driven their best friend to suicide. I bet if John hadn't died, it wouldn't have gone down so easily. If they had stuck to their original plan of splitting both of their families apart, I cant imagine everyone would just be cool with them. And oh my God, Eddie freaking out that Delilah was, GASP, sleeping with her husband, as well as him! Doesn't she know that being unfaithful to Eddie with her husband is wrong?! Yeah, being betrayed by the person you supposedly love by having them bone someone else sure would suck, huh? 

We really are moving right along, huh? In some ways, thats super great, and I love that the show doesn't draw out its mysteries and reveals for weeks on end, but it also means we seem to breeze past pretty major plot developments without really dealing with them.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Oh, Eddie and Delilah baby?  Just ugh...  What the fuck is this show thinking? (Also, I would like to see David Giuntoli in a show where he doesn't get someone "inappropriate" pregnant.  Just sayin')

It’s worth watching just for the Rome and Gina parts. The bolded part made me laugh. One plus for this pregnancy is that it is better than the one on Grimm (although that’s a pretty low bar). 

Edited by Guest
1 minute ago, Dani said:

It’s worth watching just for the Rome and Gina parts. The bolded part made me laugh. One plus for this pregnancy is that it is better than the one on Grimm (although that’s a pretty low bar). 

I will definitely watch it if there is a fair amount of Rome and Regina.  Why their story isn't the center of everything I do not understand.  (And, yeah, saying this pregnancy is better than the other one is, well, not saying much at all...)

• Love 2

I though the Rome/Regina reveal was really good.  And I find Roday/Gary appealing (and I hated all things Shawn on Psych).   Aside from that...    um... um... 

I'm okay with Rome's swerve on the baby issue for a few reasons.  He hasn't pressured Gina about this.  He knows it is terrible timing.  I think it is a lifeline for him to get some joy into his life rather than a really well thought out or deeply seeded need for a child.   I think it is okay for couples to evolve on this choice and since we didn't see the discussion earlier we don know if Rome was always certain  he didn't want children or if he was just always sure he wanted Gina and he was apathetic about children.   

I don't want Gina pressured into having a baby, or even pressured into wanting a baby.  But I genuinely don't mind a couple having an adult conversation about the issue and that is what Rome was proposing.  It was Gina's cartoon villain of a mother who pushed the baby issue not Rome.  

I hope Delilah's lying again and the paternity is ambiguous, not because I want a whose the daddy story but because I don't want it to be Eddie's.   Obviously there is more drama if it is so it is... but it is just so sketch.   

I've never experienced a kid with night terrors.  Is this a common thing?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, bybrandy said:

I though the Rome/Regina reveal was really good.  And I find Roday/Gary appealing (and I hated all things Shawn on Psych).   Aside from that...    um... um... 

I'm okay with Rome's swerve on the baby issue for a few reasons.  He hasn't pressured Gina about this.  He knows it is terrible timing.  I think it is a lifeline for him to get some joy into his life rather than a really well thought out or deeply seeded need for a child.   I think it is okay for couples to evolve on this choice and since we didn't see the discussion earlier we don know if Rome was always certain  he didn't want children or if he was just always sure he wanted Gina and he was apathetic about children.   

I don't want Gina pressured into having a baby, or even pressured into wanting a baby.  But I genuinely don't mind a couple having an adult conversation about the issue and that is what Rome was proposing.  It was Gina's cartoon villain of a mother who pushed the baby issue not Rome.  

I hope Delilah's lying again and the paternity is ambiguous, not because I want a whose the daddy story but because I don't want it to be Eddie's.   Obviously there is more drama if it is so it is... but it is just so sketch.   

Very few kids get them, re Web MD. I think during a divorce a friends kid had them once but mainly nightmares.  Stress can bring out a lot of things, and this show has a lot of that! https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-disorders-night-terrors

One thing with the friend dynamic is that if Jon lived, there is no show. The friends couldn't be friends, he might forgive Eddie one day but the pizza/game nights, no. So Jon had to die, and at some point the idea of who he was will be challenged but I hope they keep him complex, started out okay but made a mistake in his business and it got out of control. The idea of jail, embarrassment, maybe the affair made it easier, he decided to jump. It also could have been financial but they should know soon his status with his will and other things being done. No secret stays a secret, especially on TV. ;)

The baby can still be lost but how much can they throw in one show? She's not young, it is not unheard of to have issues but how would that whole baby thing work out? I just hate the dynamic and HATE that they have her get pregnant with him but not Jon. What failed? 

Edited by debraran
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

Gary seems to be the heart of the group. He's friends with everyone, he's the one and only one everyone confides in, and he's the go-to person for a crisis bail out.

Yes, he seems like the one who takes care of everyone. He's great with kids, he makes people feel good. (Though I did cringe when he said he didn't have his wallet - he was driving without his license!) 

It's generally a beautiful cast, but this episode made me realize just how good looking David Giuntoli is. 

Rome and Regina's scenes at the end of the hour were so well done. I want to see how this arc plays out.

The wine hoarding / swapping at Game Night was comical.

I'm glad they finally came back to the subplot involving Jon's folder to Delilah. Does this mean Ashley knows what was going on with Jon? 

Giggled at Theo refusing to feed the ducks. It humanized Maggie.  

Overall I liked the episode. The show continues to draw me in.

Edited by kazza
  • Love 6

Everything moves quickly except what Jon said in his note to Delilah that Ashley kept. The threads are starting to fray - the loan being refused is big, I think. It will be terribly sad if Regina loses her dream - again - this time because Ashley kept this secret. 

• Love 6

Yeah. I think I'm going to take a breather from this show. The baby daddy switcheroo, while not surprising, I think is my limit. The show has been clear from episode one as to what kind of show it's going to be. I think it's time I start believing it.

I do hope it gets better though. I hope someone more competent takes over or helps turn it around. I'm still attached to the idea of what this show could be. Which is weird because I don't usually do that and I feel extra disappointed by it. Hopefully in the future, if they have one, they'll turn it around and decide not to take storyline tips from a soap opera handbook. To be fair to soap operas though they're better at building up their storylines.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Gina's mother is pretty nosey and can nobody keep a damn secret on this show? Well, except for Eddie and Delilah, who are expert liars. 

I had the same thought.  The way this group over-shares (virtually nothing is left unsaid), secret-keeping in this pack is pretty much impossible.

8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Ok, on the one hand, I'm glad there's a male/female friendship with Gary/Delilah. But on the other hand....am I just reading into it, or does it seem like Gary has feelings for Delilah, or had feelings for Delilah at one point? He's weirdly....protective of her, but in a way that makes me wonder if we'll get some confession scene out of him. Maybe it's just my worry. 

Don't think you're reading into it, I see it too.  At the least he has a very strong affection for Delilah.  And remember, when the affair was revealed Gary did say to her, "I'm actually hurt that you chose Eddie over me."  Given the way this show is written, a confession scene is definitely possible.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Can people please stop doing cover versions of This Woman's Work?

I actually had to fast forward the entire scene where it was playing. Nobody does that song like Kate Bush and they shouldn't try. Her version is perfection.

What stood out to me this week was honestly how bad the acting was almost all around. Even Rome, who I love, could not sell his depression reveal to me.  Pretty much the only scenes I enjoyed were the Gary/Maggie scenes. I really like Regina as well so looking forward to hearing more of her backstory. 

I just keep hoping for this show to get better and I'm not sure it ever will. There are just so many weaknesses and plot holes. So now the big secret is that Jon is in debt and getting collection notices in some secret mailbox? I guess he wasn't perfect after all!

• Love 3

I think this was the best episode yet.  Yeah, the Eddie/Delilah stuff was ...sigh.  But everything else was great and we got some wonderful Rome/Gina development.

What I liked: The opening was great.  Rome trying to keep the lies straight over who was pregnant and who knew what was funny.  Also the who could/couldn't have wine, culminating in Gina taking the whole damn bottle once everything was out.  The show could stand to have more moments of understated humor like that.  Also loved the 'Whose pee did Gary touch then?" line.  Ha!

Gina's mom.  I didn't like her, but I love what she represented.  The actress was great and just her being there -- her pushy personality, her nosiness, her unsolicited advice  -- it gave so much background for Gina without being obvious about it. 

The note:  Great come out of left field revelation.  The actors knocked that one of the park.

Eddie/Theo.  Sure Eddie is a liar and a cheat but dammit he loves his kid.  I also loved the detailed babysitting list.

Theo.  Cute as a button and just a little uptight.  That kid actor was great.  I wonder about his night terrors.  Eddie was so matter of fact about it, but something like that has to come from some place.  Eddie/Katherine probably think they are hiding stuff from him but kids are perceptive.

Gary.  Gary is just great (when he is not overdoing the Maggie stuff).  But dammit he's a ride or die friend.

What I didn't like:

Ashley.  The Jon story needs to happen and her refusal to give Delilah that letter and to come clean is just annoying at this point.

Delilah's baby drama.  Sigh.  I ... just.  Sigh.

Eddie. I dunno, I had a hard time being invested in his freakout over going on stage.  It makes sense with how he associates that aspect of his life with alcohol and normally I'd be sympathetic, but everything about Eddie (except for how he is with Theo) strikes me as just so damned pouty.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, that was an opening. Just jumping straight into the Big Secret. 

Throughout the episode, I hoped that Delilah was telling the truth about it being Jon's baby. How awesome would that have been if she was truthful and it put an end to the Delilah/Eddie no-mance? Especially once Eddie thought that Delilah was having sex with both men at the same time. But I was really anticipating for the bait-and-switch. And they certainly baited and switched...with an actual abortion storyline! I never thought they'd even entertain the idea! And then....this fucking show did a second bait-and-switch with her not going through with it. FUCK. I feel like I can only respond through swear words when it comes to Delilah now. And then, on top of it all, to nobody's surprise, the baby is fucking Eddie's. 

Also, Eddie keeps saying the "L-Word" but she hasn't said it back once. Also, I hope she's also lying about not having slept with Jon at all.

I'm not crazy in thinking that Eddie's singing voice is by a totally different person, right? It sounds nothing like David's voice and it definitely sounds heavily autotuned. But I don't know for sure. 

I loved all of your post, but these three paragraphs are pretty much what I came to say. During the "abortion" scene, I thought "damn show, you'll make up for a lot of the stupid stuff if you really go ahead with this."  But then it didn't. Sigh...

Yep, Eddie has way more invested in Delilah than she is in him.

I thought the voice sounded completely different too. I was going to Shazam it to see if it came up with someone - but that's hard to do when you're in the middle of exercising.

9 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I'll never understand cheaters, especially that age, getting pregnant. Sigh. Do they not think of their families?

They did say the condom broke - but still, even if she wasn't currently sleeping with Jon, it seems like she would still have some backup birth control. Condoms alone are not that reliable.

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Omigawd, you guys, if we didn't know that Eddie was a spoiled man child, we DEFINITELY know now. What kind of guy has the nerve to be upset that his married lover is pregnant with her husband's baby? How dare she have sex with her husband while having an affair with Eddie? His self-righteous indignation just made me roll my eyes. But then I totally cracked up at the lyrics playing over Eddie pouting in the car: "spoiled selfish little child." Yup.

I watch with closed captioning on - so "spoiled selfish little child" appeared under him like a label. LOL. I thought it was maybe a little too on the nose, but still funny. Tell us what you really think about him, show.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
34 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

They did say the condom broke - but still, even if she wasn't currently sleeping with Jon, it seems like she would still have some backup birth control. Condoms alone are not that reliable.

And more to the point that is the sort of situation in which plan b is for.   

• Love 12
28 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

And Plan B can be purchased over the counter at virtually any drugstore.  I recommend to my patients who use condoms that they keep it on hand in case of mishaps.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Yeah, I'm stunned that Delilah wouldn't also be taking birth control. Also, if they both knew the condom broke, wouldn't Delilah have been more concerned since, if she wasn't sleeping with Jon, that their secret could have gotten out? Obviously it still did but if Jon hadn't killed himself, the secret would have been exposed regardless. 

I'm of the mind that both parties are responsible for protection. Condoms + birth control are the best way to prevent a pregnancy if you aren't prepared for one or don't want one....or if you're having an affair and not sleeping with your partner. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yeah, I'm stunned that Delilah wouldn't also be taking birth control. Also, if they both knew the condom broke, wouldn't Delilah have been more concerned since, if she wasn't sleeping with Jon, that their secret could have gotten out? Obviously it still did but if Jon hadn't killed himself, the secret would have been exposed regardless. 

I'm of the mind that both parties are responsible for protection. Condoms + birth control are the best way to prevent a pregnancy if you aren't prepared for one or don't want one....or if you're having an affair and not sleeping with your partner. 

Maybe Jon had a vasectomy. But there’s no excuse for not protecting herself with Eddie. 

• Love 8
Just now, topanga said:

Maybe Jon had a vasectomy. But there’s no excuse for not protecting herself with Eddie. 

That....makes it worse because she hasn't been sleeping with Jon and has been sleeping with Eddie, so that would REALLY require extra protection to ensure she didn't get pregnant. Because, as we see, whoops! She was already keeping the affair a secret. What's one more secret with her taking birth control? She could have said that she was taking it for her periods if it was found out.

Also, if Jon had a vasectomy, the two must have kept it a secret from their supposed best friends since they didn't seem shocked that it could be Jon's. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, if Jon had a vasectomy, the two must have kept it a secret from their supposed best friends since they didn't seem shocked that it could be Jon's. 

Do guys share that? Close female friends tend to share if they’ve had a tubal ligation or ahysterectomy, but I don’t know about you dudes. 

Well, last night I finally turned it off.  I couldn't take it anymore.  It was a combination of the pregnancy, Rome deciding he might want a child, after he decides to leave his job and his wife is working on building a career in a new restaurant (what timing.  Are these people really stupid?)  and Gina being totally insulted that her mom offers to help financially.....please.  If you don't want her help, just politely decline.  These are people that I just don't understand nor care about.  I'm done.  Thanks ABC for another disappointment. 

• Love 8

What is Ashley's problem?  I really wanted that scene she imagined of giving Delilah the suicide note and folder, and Delilah going off on her, to have been real.  And then we got the fakeout instead.  She's hiding so much, but we have no idea who she even is, much less why she has taken it upon herself to do whatever the fuck she thinks she's doing to this family.

Delilah is a manipulative liar.  The lies just roll off her tongue.  She and Ashley are two peas in a pod, really.  And for pete's sake, she has a teenage daughter - Delilah should be well acquainted with Plan B.

Katherine is going to be devastated when she finds out her husband is Delilah's baby daddy.  Just add insult to injury and stir.  Is she the only one with a paying job at this point?  Oh, wait, I think Gary does something in a cubicle.  Maybe she and Gary will be raising all the kids since no one else has income (and heath insurance?)

• Love 20
32 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Heh, with this group? That is unlikely.  They couldn't keep a secret if it came locked in a hermetically sealed box.

• Love 16

Well this episode gave me whiplash. Eddie's not the father. Eddie's the father. Delilah's not having the baby. Delilah's having the baby. Ashley's finally giving Delilah the suicide note. Ashley's not actually giving Delilah the suicide note. 

I need to say that I hate with the fiery intensity of 10,000 suns the 'change your mind at the last second' trope when it comes to abortion. I think I hate it more than the 'convenient miscarriage' trope. It is so overplayed. Juno, Blue Valentine (movies) and Peaky Blinders, Mad Men (television). There are four examples off the top of my head so I must have seen it many more times than that. I can think of one example off the top of my head where someone just has the abortion because it makes sense-Six Feet Under. I was hoping against hope that this show would just do it but no...ugh.

Now Delilah and Eddie are going to tell everyone the baby is Jon's? How long will that last do you think?

I don't think this show moves too fast necessarily; I think it's more that every story is covered in a shallow manner. You can portray an experience in a short amount of time if you really delve into it but this show kind of skims the surface. Does that make sense? And of course I agree, like everyone, we do actually need to move along the Mystery of Jon a little faster. 

36 minutes ago, topanga said:

Do guys share that? Close female friends tend to share if they’ve had a tubal ligation or ahysterectomy, but I don’t know about you dudes. 

I'm not a dude but I'm sure it depends on the dudes in question. I agree with DearEvette that in this group Jon only had to tell one of them and everyone would know in about two seconds. Presumably, Delilah knowing would be all it would take.

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I can think of one example off the top of my head where someone just has the abortion because it makes sense-Six Feet Under. I

I can think of three:  Olivia Pope on Scandal had one.  It was a decision she quietly made with not discussion and she went and did it, the camera stayed on her face the whole time.  She was the girlfriend of a sitting president.

Also, Christina Yang on Grey's Anatomy had one because she didn't really want kids and she was more dedicated to being a surgeon. Also an unusual case of a married woman having one. 

And finally On Dear White People (Netflix) , Coco has one.  She was an ambitious college student who has plans. 

So three different situations, all with their own valid reasons.  And all main characters on their shows.  Also, interestingly, all women of color. 

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, topanga said:

They made such a big deal last episode about Jon being a devout Catholic that I doubt he would have a vasectomy.  

I still haven't watched this episode (I need to get in the right frame of mind), but there really is no excuse for this pregnancy.

1 - Delilah was clearly on some form of birth control.  She had been married for probably close to 20 years and didn't have eleventy million kids.  I know that there are some married couples who rely on condoms, but I really, really doubt it for a couple where a-the husband is a devout Catholic* and b) such a long-standing relationship.  What I'm getting is that this show doesn't care enough about women to think about this issue.

2 - So they back out of the abortion scene?  That tells me that this isn't a show that is will to "go there" with its plots and will always fall back to the easy thing.

(*I really don't mean to make such a big deal about the Catholic thing.  I know a lot of Catholic couples use birth control and it sounds like I'm making a blanket statement.  But this show lacks all subtlety so when a man is described as being a strict Catholic and the net episode his wife is pregnant, my mind sort of makes the logical next step).

• Love 5
8 hours ago, bybrandy said:

My older daughter got them for a while when she was young.  Apparently, it's not uncommon and our doctor at the time was absolutely no help--and it is terrifying for parents or caregivers if they don't know what is going on.  However, my niece's daughter also had them and their trick worked perfectly and not only stopped an in-progress night terror, but also quickly brought an end to the night terrors in general. 

(In case anyone is wondering, here it is: Take the child who is having a night terror into the bathroom and turn on all the lights.  Have them sit on the side of the tub or, if they are very young, sit there and hold them.  Turn the tub on full blast.  The combo of the light and the sound of the rushing water will bring them out of it fairly smoothly).

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I can think of three:  Olivia Pope on Scandal had one.  It was a decision she quietly made with not discussion and she went and did it, the camera stayed on her face the whole time.  She was the girlfriend of a sitting president.

Also, Christina Yang on Grey's Anatomy had one because she didn't really want kids and she was more dedicated to being a surgeon. Also an unusual case of a married woman having one. 

And finally On Dear White People (Netflix) , Coco has one.  She was an ambitious college student who has plans. 

So three different situations, all with their own valid reasons.  And all main characters on their shows.  Also, interestingly, all women of color. 

Xiomara on Jane the Virgin also had an abortion. She had made it very clear that she did not want to have any more children. When she accidentally got pregnant, she had an abortion. She didn’t discuss it with the other main characters beforehand because she made the decision on her own. Afterward, she did talk about it with her adult daughter (who was supportive) and her mother (who was not).

• Love 7
2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I am old, that never occurred to me because it wasn't an option in my youth.

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

That....makes it worse because she hasn't been sleeping with Jon and has been sleeping with Eddie, so that would REALLY require extra protection to ensure she didn't get pregnant. Because, as we see, whoops! She was already keeping the affair a secret. What's one more secret with her taking birth control? She could have said that she was taking it for her periods if it was found out.

Good point.

1 hour ago, topanga said:

My ex, back in the 70's told everyone. Which ended up with one of his friends (devout but hypocritical Catholic, his wife was on the pill) actually yelling at me because he blamed me. 

24 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Xiomara on Jane the Virgin also had an abortion. She had made it very clear that she did not want to have any more children. When she accidentally got pregnant, she had an abortion. She didn’t discuss it with the other main characters beforehand because she made the decision on her own. Afterward, she did talk about it with her adult daughter (who was supportive) and her mother (who was not).

Ruth on Glow had one. She was in a similar situation - she was pregnant with her friend's husband's child. I loved the episode, there was no drama.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

1 - Delilah was clearly on some form of birth control.  

I'm going to disagree on this one. I'm about 85% positive that Delilah's not on any form of birth control. Once you watch the episode, you'll kind of see why, but when Delilah tells Eddie about the pregnancy, before she lies about the paternity, Eddie's first response is "So...when our condom broke...", not mentioning anything about Delilah being on birth control. It was made to be about the condom breaking that one time. She also confirms at the end of the episode that her and Jon haven't had sex (no clue when they did last). It's very heavily implied that the two were relying on condoms to not slip up and get pregnant. I really can't remember anyone mentioning Delilah being on birth control, so I assume she wasn't on any.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm going to disagree on this one. I'm about 85% positive that Delilah's not on any form of birth control. Once you watch the episode, you'll kind of see why, but when Delilah tells Eddie about the pregnancy, before she lies about the paternity, Eddie's first response is "So...when our condom broke...", not mentioning anything about Delilah being on birth control. It was made to be about the condom breaking that one time. She also confirms at the end of the episode that her and Jon haven't had sex (no clue when they did last). It's very heavily implied that the two were relying on condoms to not slip up and get pregnant. I really can't remember anyone mentioning Delilah being on birth control, so I assume she wasn't on any.

Interesting...I mean, totally unbelievable, but interesting.  They are really working hard to try to make this pregnancy palatable to the audience, aren't they?

(Also, ye olde "the condom broke" excuse doesn't even really work for teenagers in the back of the car on prom night anymore in terms of effective storytelling, so the fact that this is the route they decided to take is even more frustrating...)

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I don't think this show moves too fast necessarily; I think it's more that every story is covered in a shallow manner. You can portray an experience in a short amount of time if you really delve into it but this show kind of skims the surface. Does that make sense? And of course I agree, like everyone, we do actually need to move along the Mystery of Jon a little faster. 

Yes, this makes sense and is the perfect way to describe the way this show is treating enormous life changes and issues.  Very shallow, and that's why it's so unsatisfying.

• Love 4

Given the way this show is written, if Delilah were on BC, she would have said something about it when she got the positive, like 'How can this happen, I am on the pill!" 

Which brings me to the condom breaking thing. Wouldn't a woman who is not having sex with her husband but who is having sex with her lover have dealt with the consequences of a condom breaking?

The again, Delilah is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. She still hasn't sought out a lawyer re Jon's estate.  And just found out a loan got denied and that doesn't set her spidey senses tingling that all might not be financially right in he rworld.

• Love 12
25 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Also, ye olde "the condom broke" excuse doesn't even really work for teenagers in the back of the car on prom night anymore in terms of effective storytelling, so the fact that this is the route they decided to take is even more frustrating.

One thing I liked about the first episode of Master of None is that the condom breaks and they go to the drugstore in the middle of the night to get Plan B. Their very responsible attitude was “Let’s not take chances on accidental pregnancies!”

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Given the way this show is written, if Delilah were on BC, she would have said something about it when she got the positive, like 'How can this happen, I am on the pill!" 

Which brings me to the condom breaking thing. Wouldn't a woman who is not having sex with her husband but who is having sex with her lover have dealt with the consequences of a condom breaking?

The again, Delilah is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. She still hasn't sought out a lawyer re Jon's estate.  And just found out a loan got denied and that doesn't set her spidey senses tingling that all might not be financially right in he rworld.

ITA. It’s hard to believe that Delilah has never sat down with the family’s lawyer to sort out Jon’s estate. IMO, that should’ve been higher on the priority list than helping Regina design the restaurant. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Heh, with this group? That is unlikely.  They couldn't keep a secret if it came locked in a hermetically sealed box.

Gina’s mom would just rip it open!

Sorry but I just couldn’t believe when she ripped open Rome’s package and took out the baby booties. And he was just looking at her and did say anything. I would’ve lost my shit. My MIL that lives w/us (in a MIL suite) opened our water bill b/c she wanted to help us out and pay it. My hubs was all ‘no big deal’ but I was pissed. That’s our mail and our privacy!

Okay episode, but too much Eddie.  I love DG, but I just can’t warm to his character.  Sometimes I dream of a Rome & Gary spin-off. Just have Delilah & Eddie runniff together and leave the other two to pick up a million little pieces. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Can people please stop doing cover versions of This Woman's Work?

I couldn't believe they didn't use a woman's version of this song! (Why are men even covering it?)

I thought this was a better episode than most though I'm not sure why. There were less things that made no sense to me this week, so maybe I'm just becoming inured to their dumb choices. Although--I thought that Jon got a loan for the restaurant for them already--or did he just buy them the building?

Not at all surprised they had Delilah not go through with the abortion. But what a bunch of selfish, selfish people these all are. She knew it was Eddie's and wasn't going to tell him. And whatever the hell Ashley was up to--how long is she gonna wait to give Delilah whatever it is from Jon?

And though I'm not the biggest fan of Grace Park....I miss Katherine. This show needs a no-drama person. I'm confused about how they're going to keep her involved in the show. When Delilah called someone and started to say she needed their help--at first I thought it was with a legal matter (she sounded so reluctant) and she was calling Katherine.

Edited by taragel
  • Love 2