Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: Traitor

• Start Topic

I was excited when I saw the Christmas scene, but it was just Joan Collins' segment from Tales from the Crypt (1972). It could have been a cute reference, but the original was way better and more stylish. Maybe it would have been better if they didn't copy some shots almost completely. As someone that loves Christmas horror movies, that scene should have been made for me, but it was just disappointing.

• Love 8

I’m still confused by the timeline and use of extended flashbacks. The 2 years before the apocalypse thing (bringing Myrtle back) was a flashback within a flashback? How much time were we “before the apocalypse” at the time of the dinner Cordelia said might be their last time together for a while? Madison and Behold had just returned from Murder House at that dinner. And is Joan Collins’ character here the same character as post apocalypse in the bunker? That character also seemed to have been an aging actress but not one who could read minds. It would seem odd she didn’t realize who Michael was when he showed up in the bunker, even though she had never met him. Maybe the white haired character is not meant to be the same as the bunker character but they seem very similar.

• Love 10

This episode certainly did move the story along, but they're stuffing these episodes with useless characters for the hell of it and barely developing characters that appear to be integral to the story. Lookin' at you, Mallory.  It's like they decided they'll have an angel fight Michael and turn back time, did nothing to build on that,  and instead focused on writing nonsensical/unnecessary scenes for Ryan Murphy's friends. No Misty Day, but thank god Joan Collins was given something to do, I guess? Then there's Coco who, for the life of me, I can not figure out how she fits in to all this other than Ryan Murphy wanted to write a character for Leslie Grossman . What was Cordelia asking Coco to do, go to the grocery store? Was everyone else busy? What is happening??

Edited to add: Did they keep Michael out of this episode was so that he didn't meet Mallory? Because he had no idea who she was in Outpost 3. Are we to believe that he never once encounters her during all this?

tenor.gif?itemid=4713920

Edited by sashayshante
  • Love 19

Coven was not my favorite season but this episode wasn’t too bad. I’m ready for them to move on to present time and back to Michael. 

I’m confused how they were able to burn Kathy Bates character, wasn’t she a robot? 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

Coven was not my favorite season but this episode wasn’t too bad. I’m ready for them to move on to present time and back to Michael. 

I’m confused how they were able to burn Kathy Bates character, wasn’t she a robot? 

Post apocalyptic KB in the bunker was an android replica of burned KB.

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, sashayshante said:

This episode certainly did move the story along, but they're stuffing these episodes with useless characters for the hell of it and barely developing characters that appear to be integral to the story. Lookin' at you, Mallory.  It's like they decided they'll have an angel fight Michael and turn back time, did nothing to build on that,  and instead focused on writing nonsensical/unnecessary scenes for Ryan Murphy's friends. No Misty Day, but thank god Joan Collins was given something to do, I guess? Then there's Coco who, for the life of me, I can not figure out how she fits in to all this other than Ryan Murphy wanted to write a character for Leslie Grossman . What was Cordelia asking Coco to do, go to the grocery store? Was everyone else busy? What is happening??

Edited to add: Did they keep Michael out of this episode was so that he didn't meet Mallory? Because he had no idea who she was in Outpost 3. Are we to believe that he never once encounters her during all this?

tenor.gif?itemid=4713920

Also completely pointless - the scene with Papa Legba. More fan service for the tween-minded fans who can yell "yay" to seeing characters from past seasons (but have no use in the current storyline)?

• Love 6

There were a lot of slo-mo walks in this episode.   They all looked bad-ass, though!

It was sad to see what happened to Nan.  She was the kind one, and now she's gleefully Satan's helper?  I'm glad Cordelia wasn't so desperate to accept Papa Legba's offer, though.

The warlocks hatred of women was pathological.  Their final solution was brutal.
I'm surprised the leader of the warlocks didn't suspect something during the dinner.

Was Kathy Bates Satanist character a witch?  I was surprised they were just able to burn a random woman with the warlocks.

• Love 8

I am getting the strong inkling Mallory is basically girl Michael.

She will be revealed to be his “dead” twin, somehow, who has the opposite power to his own, he has a hold on death while she has prowess over life.

I know they said his twin was a boy during their origin story in “Murder House”, but they have already shown this season some things from then have been changed around to fit the new vision so who knows.  

It’s just my guess so far but considering Ryan’s track record with his shows, who else remembers how he handled his first show “Popular” back in the old days?, he always leans towards the light verses dark angle one way or another. 

The guy in the beginning forced to chug the blended heart of his mistress, that had to “suck”, heh. 

Papa is still the same slimy bastard he always was, at least his deals remain as unyielding and cruel as ever, some things never change. 

I adore Kathy Bates, that is all. 

I did miss Michael, a lot. 

The little kitten witches having their play date together was pretty cute I thought. I love Queenie, Gab always makes her scenes fun. 

Next week’s preview got a chuckle out of me, I liked seeing Michael having a baby tantrum because he doesn’t know what the hell he’s doing.

To me it makes sense considering he is still fairly undeveloped so naturally he is struggling being on his own and trying to figure out his path to becoming the so called AntiChrist, especially without a helpful “10 Quick Steps To The Zombie Apocalypse” manual. 

Evan is really getting “wigged” out this season...I’ll see myself out now. 

• Love 9

I loved Coven, so it's no surprise I've loved all of this season except the first two episodes. I wasn't crazy about the Murder House episode either, but that's only because I didn't care for Murder House, tbh... It was worth it to see Jessica Lange again though. She is phenomenal. I only wish she couldn't briefly reappeared as Fiona somehow.

I'm happy Joan Collins got a better character to play. All I'm left wondering now is how Coco is going to fit into all of this?

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 6
29 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Popular was his first show? What about Nip/Tuck?

"NipTuck" was his second series outing, he made an impact first with "Popular", and that actually put him on the map big time which then was a huge hit and so came Glee and AHS.

The main two reasons that I have all this committed to memory is because "Popular" was one of the last nineties shows that I watched and I do miss the nineties, and Wentworth Miller played the supremely sassy bad boy cheerleader in it and I have always hearted him, heh. 

Oh, and another thing I thought about last night, I don't think that Papa's appearance was just a wink at the fans, considering how things are currently positioned in the "future", as it were, I am beginning to think some deal was made which explains why the others were stripped of their memories and planted in place to wait to fight Michael after the Apocalypse had begun.

• Love 5

Social media was losing their minds about Nan not showing up, so I didn't mind her scene with Papa Legba. I also appreciated the Myrtle flashback, because it should be a big deal when a witch comes back from the ashes!

• Love 3

Bye, BD Wong.

Zoe's "I've never seen anyone do anything like that before" is code for "We didn't have the budget for this during the Coven season, but we do now!".

So I guess Michael's "interviews" at the Outpost was him really testing them to see if any of them actually remember their true identities? And why didn't they resurrect Joan Collins if she is also a witch?

Where's Misty?

I could have done with out the Papa Legba/Nan stuff.

Behold Chablis is the best witch/warlock name ever.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

Bye, BD Wong.

Zoe's "I've never seen anyone do anything like that before" is code for "We didn't have the budget for this during the Coven season, but we do now!".

So I guess Michael's "interviews" at the Outpost was him really testing them to see if any of them actually remember their true identities? And why didn't they resurrect Joan Collins if she is also a witch?

Where's Misty?

I could have done with out the Papa Legba/Nan stuff.

Behold Chablis is the best witch/warlock name ever.

Why did Michael even bother to interview them when he planned to kill,them all anyway? And who/what is the Cooperative? 

• Love 7

Am i the only one kind.of upset that they had a perfectly fine Supreme.in waiting with Zoe ( who has definitely.matured and her powers have gotten stronger) then Mallory "Mary Sue"?

I alsi have a bad feeling that maybe with Cordelia working with Papa, thats why Queenie and Zoe are not in the present? Like they gave their souls.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, CheetaraThunder said:

Am i the only one kind.of upset that they had a perfectly fine Supreme.in waiting with Zoe ( who has definitely.matured and her powers have gotten stronger) then Mallory "Mary Sue"?

I alsi have a bad feeling that maybe with Cordelia working with Papa, thats why Queenie and Zoe are not in the present? Like they gave their souls.

No and I'd rather have Zoe as the next Supreme.  Maybe Queenie and Zoe are still alive but they didn't go with Cordelia, Madison, and Myrtle. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Female83 said:

Yes, but Taissa Farmiga isn't Ryan Murphy's current ingenue project.

• Love 11

Here's another question: if Mallory and Coco were protected with an identity spell, why didn't Coco's parent's remind her that she was a witch? Were they under the spell, too? How is it that Michael - the fucking anti-christ - doesn't know they're witches? He knew Dinah was a witch and she was put under the identity spell. He knew that people were brought back to life after The Great Apple Massacre of 2021. But he didn't know Mallory was some super-form witch/angel hybrid??

4 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I think the Outpost's were put in place so Michael could have some way to fund his New World plan and spare people who could help populate his New World. He wants people willing to drop the facade and not pretend to be better than they are. That's why the first time he met with Venable he said she didn't pass the test and when she tried to kill him he said she passed. She was all pearl clutchy and offended when he accused her of creating her own rules, but when it came down to saving herself, she dropped the act. Same with Gallant. Michael had no use for Gallant until Gallant admitted he hated his grandmother for shaming him, something Michael could relate to.

2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Yes, but Taissa Farmiga isn't Ryan Murphy's current ingenue project.

This. My guess is Murphy knows how limited Lourde is so he's not giving her much material.

• Love 1

The main two reasons that I have all this committed to memory is because "Popular" was one of the last nineties shows that I watched and I do miss the nineties, and Wentworth Miller played the supremely sassy bad boy cheerleader in it and I have always hearted him, heh. 

I think Mary Cherry will always be that show's shining star.  Heck, it's nearly twenty years later and Murphy still has Leslie Grossman doing variations of that character.      

• Love 4
8 hours ago, AnswersWanted said:

I am getting the strong inkling Mallory is basically girl Michael.

She will be revealed to be his “dead” twin, somehow, who has the opposite power to his own, he has a hold on death while she has prowess over life.

I know they said his twin was a boy during their origin story in “Murder House”, but they have already shown this season some things from then have been changed around to fit the new vision so who knows.  

It’s just my guess so far but considering Ryan’s track record with his shows, who else remembers how he handled his first show “Popular” back in the old days?, he always leans towards the light verses dark angle one way or another. 

The guy in the beginning forced to chug the blended heart of his mistress, that had to “suck”, heh. 

Papa is still the same slimy bastard he always was, at least his deals remain as unyielding and cruel as ever, some things never change. 

I adore Kathy Bates, that is all. 

I did miss Michael, a lot. 

The little kitten witches having their play date together was pretty cute I thought. I love Queenie, Gab always makes her scenes fun. 

Next week’s preview got a chuckle out of me, I liked seeing Michael having a baby tantrum because he doesn’t know what the hell he’s doing.

To me it makes sense considering he is still fairly undeveloped so naturally he is struggling being on his own and trying to figure out his path to becoming the so called AntiChrist, especially without a helpful “10 Quick Steps To The Zombie Apocalypse” manual. 

Evan is really getting “wigged” out this season...I’ll see myself out now. 

The son was mentioned last week as never growing up.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

I’m still confused by the timeline and use of extended flashbacks. 

We had to pause the show because my husband was super confused as well.   I am only not confused because I come here to get the things I missed...    

9 hours ago, sashayshante said:

What was Cordelia asking Coco to do, go to the grocery store? Was everyone else busy? What is happening??

Coco distracted Kathy Bates' character at the grocery store so that they could kidnap and burn her with the warlocks.  My guess is she was used as she is the least "witchy" of the girls and could be a good distractor.

• Love 4

I'm amused that the show seems as disinterested in Supreme!Mallory as I am. Her active involvement in this episode was less than five minutes and her reveal as the next Supreme was practically a throwaway moment.

My (cracky, probably 100% wrong) theory is that Coco isn't just around for comic relief. Her developing powers are essentially seeing what something's made of. So if she can eventually see what makes up people as well, she can also see what's missing, such as Mallory's soul if the plot twist is that she's actually evil. (Which is problematic for me, because I love my villains and she would pale in comparison to Fern and Bates.)

Ryan Murphy knows we only have three episodes left, right? These flashbacks have been taking forever. I want to get back to the current storyline with the post-apocalyptic showdown and Michael's luscious locks.

• Love 9

I'm pretty sure this week's Joan Collins' character is meant to be a different person than the prior version.  Because, different wig!

I was wondering about Misty Day too.  Why wasn't she back with the coven post-Murder House investigation?  I know, because we don't need her resurrection skills/plot device now that we have Mallory.  Maybe she's just off hanging with Stevie Nicks and twirling with scarves. 

Coco is pretty good comic relief.

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, novemberjenny said:

I’m only 15 minutes in but can I just say that I LOVE that they parodied the Crypt Keeper with Joan Collins! If you’ve never seen it it’s this bizarre, obscure British horror movie (nothing to do with the American TV series)  ???

Tales from the Crypt was the movie and it is based on the same comics the American HBO series was. "...And All Through the House", her segment, was remade for the series, though the story was slightly different.

• Love 4

When I first heard about this crossover, I thought it would be an episode of Coven related stuff, and an episode of Murder House stuff. Then the rest would be the actual story/moving forward. I feel like all this Coven stuff could be condensed to one episode, maybe 2. 3 freaking episodes left and we all still have a thousand questions. I'm really hoping Apocalypse will have it's crossover moment in the future seasons, where it hijacks the storyline. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, coppersin said:

Ryan Murphy knows we only have three episodes left, right? These flashbacks have been taking forever. I want to get back to the current storyline with the post-apocalyptic showdown and Michael's luscious locks.

So true! If I didn't know better (and I guess I don't, really) I would think we're headed for an Avengers-infinity-war kind of end to the season (which I guess is sort of how the season started, but that's so long ago it's hard to remember) and this was actually a two-season story. Or at least, that things won't actually be righted by the time we're out of episodes.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, coppersin said:

My (cracky, probably 100% wrong) theory is that Coco isn't just around for comic relief. Her developing powers are essentially seeing what something's made of. So if she can eventually see what makes up people as well, she can also see what's missing, such as Mallory's soul if the plot twist is that she's actually evil. (Which is problematic for me, because I love my villains and she would pale in comparison to Fern and Bates.)

That would be an intriguing twist though - that Mallory was the true AntiChrist and Michael was essentially a pawn of Satan's, sent to clear the way for the true AntiChrist.

Or... the true new Supreme is Coco, with Mallory as a protecter and the ditzy persona is to hide that....

My problem is that I am really trying way too hard to make this seem more clever than it is.

I for one had no problem with Nan enjoying herself in hell. I mean, we are talking about the sweet girl who tried to save her sweet boyfriend and got royally fucked over, and then who tried to save her coven and got drowned in the tub for her troubles.... 

One in joke I liked was that the Christmas horror movie seemed to be a retelling of the Christmas murderer guy from Asylum. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I was wondering about Misty Day too.  Why wasn't she back with the coven post-Murder House investigation?  I know, because we don't need her resurrection skills/plot device now that we have Mallory.  Maybe she's just off hanging with Stevie Nicks and twirling with scarves.

I love the idea of Misty and Stevie Nicks chilling and riding out the Apocalypse at Christine McVie's country estate in Kent.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, DFWGina said:

Coco distracted Kathy Bates' character at the grocery store so that they could kidnap and burn her with the warlocks.  My guess is she was used as she is the least "witchy" of the girls and could be a good distractor.

IOW, Coco was the most expendable person available to be bait.

• Love 3

As I tell y’all time and time again.  Ryan Murphy is my guy.  He gets me.  There has been one seasons One I have outright hated (Freak Show). And one season I felt was meh (Coven).  The rest I thought went somewhere from best thing I have ever witnessed (Asylum and Cult)  to fun and entertaining nonsense (Hotel, Murder House and Roanoke).   I am sad to say that Apocalypse is heading for meh territory.

• Love 5

He knew Dinah was a witch and she was put under the identity spell. 

I'm so confused about this. When we first met Dinah, the two teenagers (remember them?) recognized her as some kind of famous talk show host. So . . . did the memory spell make everyone in the world think Dinah was a talk show host? Or was the Voodoo Queen actually moonlighting as a talk show host on the side? If so, then she wouldn't have been under a memory spell, right? Cuz she remembered being a talk show host. Or did the memory spell only make her forget she was the Voodoo Queen?

I’m still confused by the timeline and use of extended flashbacks. 

Most of the flashbacks are taking place a few months prior to the apocalypse. The main exception was the 2 years prior, when Cordelia resurrected Myrtle.

It is weird that we've spent so many episodes in flashbacks, but there really isn't much more story to tell once the world has ended so I guess it makes sense, narratively, to spend more time on the events that led up to it. Still, with only three episodes left to the season, it's hard to believe they're going to be able to wrap everything up in a satisfying way

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Rap541 said:

That would be an intriguing twist though - that Mallory was the true AntiChrist and Michael was essentially a pawn of Satan's, sent to clear the way for the true AntiChrist.

As you know, I've been saying from episode one on that I felt there was a misdirect going on here in regards to who the Antichrist truly was. As much as I am enjoying the nostalgia and Cody Fern's performance,  I truly hope the last 3 episodes aren't as predictable as they appear to be. This season could possibly surpass Murder House and Asylum as best overall season unless they phone in the remaining episodes.

I'm still not getting why Cordelia cast an Identity spell over Coco and Mallory to keep them safe and then set it up so they'd be at the outpost with the very person she was protecting them from. So!Many!Plot!Holes!

Edited by sashayshante
  • Love 4

Man, I got creepy shivers as Kathy Bates was set on fire and yelling out with fervent satanic devotion. The look on her face. Damn! She's so awesome.

I'm loving the eye rolling noise we get from Coco when she invokes her 'power'. Its pretty funny.

I was thrilled we got to see how Myrtle returned. Sad though it took a toll on Cordelia to do it whereas Mallory barely blinks an eye. I thought for a split second, seeing as the timeline is wonky that maybe she was bringing back Fiona.

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm so confused about this. When we first met Dinah, the two teenagers (remember them?) recognized her as some kind of famous talk show host. So . . . did the memory spell make everyone in the world think Dinah was a talk show host? Or was the Voodoo Queen actually moonlighting as a talk show host on the side? If so, then she wouldn't have been under a memory spell, right? Cuz she remembered being a talk show host. Or did the memory spell only make her forget she was the Voodoo Queen?

Most of the flashbacks are taking place a few months prior to the apocalypse. The main exception was the 2 years prior, when Cordelia resurrected Myrtle.

I always took it they were making a play on the fact that the show's version of Oprah Winfrey of course achieved her heights of importance in the culture because of witchcraft, or a deal she'd made with a dark power...but they haven't done much with her fame otherwise. Done anything with it, actually. So, good question.

Re: timing of main flashbacks relative to apocalypse (the word apocalypse is so tedious to type, maybe I'll just call it Apoca) - that would mean that the version of Langdon that Cordelia is familiar with, from having just recently resurrected Misty and Madison and Queenie, is only months from being the Langdon who strolled into the bunker with his long luxurious hair and having made pre-arrangements for the outposts and the Adam and Eve selection? It seems like Apoca is farther off than that, and his development from the schoolboy who just aced the Seven Wonders test into who he was post-Apoca will take longer. Coco to me doesn't seem like the version of Coco we met back in the first episode, who's in a long-term seeming relationship with Billy Eichner. (This version of Coco has been living in NOLA learning to count calories, so she hasn't taken up yet with Billy on the Street?) I think they've overestimated our interest in how an X-Men team of witches got assembled so long before the apocalypse, since we already know that wasn't enough to prevent the event from happening anyway.

Edited by BingeyKohan
  • Love 3

It seems like Apoca is farther off than that, and his development from the schoolboy who just aced the Seven Wonders test into who he was post-Apoca will take longer. 

A little recap research tells me the flashback sequence we're now still experiencing began 3 years before the bomb, not months. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

A little recap research tells me the flashback sequence we're now still experiencing began 3 years before the bomb, not months. 

But that's weird too! The title card setting up the flashback to Myrtle's resurrection said 2 years before the bomb - so then that would have been a flash-forward, if the main flashback narrative is 3 years before the bomb. 

ETA: it's the show's lack of clarity around this that bothers me, not the posters here!

Edited by BingeyKohan
  • Love 5

I would have loved if instead of Bubbles saying she read Myrtle’s mind “like a Sidney Sheldon novel” she had said Jackie Collins instead. It would have been a nice meta nod to her late sister and the popularity (and trashiness) of her literary canon. ?

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Tipsymcstagger said:

I would have loved if instead of Bubbles saying she read Myrtle’s mind “like a Sidney Sheldon novel” she had said Jackie Collins instead. It would have been a nice meta nod to her late sister and the popularity (and trashiness) of her literary canon. ?

Agreed. It did however spur my nostalgia for his books. She looked fabulous with that white hair too.

• Love 4

The title card setting up the flashback to Myrtle's resurrection said 2 years before the bomb - so then that would have been a flash-forward, if the main flashback narrative is 3 years before the bomb. 

I think it just said 2 years ago, not 2 years before the apocalypse. In other words, 2 years before this flashback.

I think we can all agree it's confusing.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

I always took it they were making a play on the fact that the show's version of Oprah Winfrey of course achieved her heights of importance in the culture because of witchcraft, or a deal she'd made with a dark power...but they haven't done much with her fame otherwise. Done anything with it, actually. So, good question.

Re: timing of main flashbacks relative to apocalypse (the word apocalypse is so tedious to type, maybe I'll just call it Apoca) - that would mean that the version of Langdon that Cordelia is familiar with, from having just recently resurrected Misty and Madison and Queenie, is only months from being the Langdon who strolled into the bunker with his long luxurious hair and having made pre-arrangements for the outposts and the Adam and Eve selection? It seems like Apoca is farther off than that, and his development from the schoolboy who just aced the Seven Wonders test into who he was post-Apoca will take longer. Coco to me doesn't seem like the version of Coco we met back in the first episode, who's in a long-term seeming relationship with Billy Eichner. (This version of Coco has been living in NOLA learning to count calories, so she hasn't taken up yet with Billy on the Street?) I think they've overestimated our interest in how an X-Men team of witches got assembled so long before the apocalypse, since we already know that wasn't enough to prevent the event from happening anyway.

Michael showing up at the outpost is 18 months after the bombs go off.  

• Love 1

I always liked Coven (and Murder House even more), so I can't get enough of the iconic shot of bad-ass females under fancy black parasols walking away from enemy flambe. And dayum, a stint in the underworld did Cheyenne Jackson a world of good. I mean, the guy's hot anyway, but John Henry after resurrection was smokin'.

• Love 17
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

She mentioned that she she paid her due or whatever to basically give up her powers and become a famous celebrity. That she wanted nothing to do with witches or anything like that. As for the memory spell.... I don't know. She seemed to remember being a voodoo queen before Cordelia shows up while having her interview with Michael. 

• Love 3