Type keyword(s) to search

The Conners Past and Present

Pallas
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

Good Lord. I've forgotten that they made bad decisions right from the beginning. I'm watching the 2nd episode of the original Rosanne and Dan was paid $500. They could have paid off all their bills with $11 left over. So what did they do? Buy expensive perfume and a bell for a boat that Dan was fixing.

And they didn't learn anything years later when Dan got money after quitting the government job. Again they could have paid off all their bills or saved a chunk of it, but blew it on Disneyland.

I totally agree. Maybe that's why poor people stay poor. They so seldom get a chance to have something really nice, something that has always been out of reach and when they get a little money they can't restrain themselves from treating themselves. It's sad, really. Also Disney World.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I totally agree. Maybe that's why poor people stay poor. They so seldom get a chance to have something really nice, something that has always been out of reach and when they get a little money they can't restrain themselves from treating themselves. It's sad, really. Also Disney World.

My brother-in-law used to be that way; if he got $300 he had to spend it on something "fun". He grew up dirt poor (he actually lived in a house with a dirt floor for a while). Debt is just something that's always there.

Although, it seems that a lot of "not-poor" people have that way of thinking now. I accidentally opened my neighbor's credit card bill and almost fainted before I realized it wasn't mine.

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Good Lord. I've forgotten that they made bad decisions right from the beginning. I'm watching the 2nd episode of the original Rosanne and Dan was paid $500. They could have paid off all their bills with $11 left over. So what did they do? Buy expensive perfume and a bell for a boat that Dan was fixing.

And they didn't learn anything years later when Dan got money after quitting the government job. Again they could have paid off all their bills or saved a chunk of it, but blew it on Disneyland.

It is so crazy because I have the opposite mindset. My parents had nothing and built themselves up to a very comfortable life through hard work and nothing makes me feel better than knowing that I have money in the bank for emergency situations.

I do treat myself once in a while but the high of any purchase (no matter how awesome) wears off for me fairly quickly.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, qtpye said:

It is so crazy because I have the opposite mindset. My parents had nothing and built themselves up to a very comfortable life through hard work and nothing makes me feel better than knowing that I have money in the bank for emergency situations.

I do treat myself once in a while but the high of any purchase (no matter how awesome) wears off for me fairly quickly.

It's like the way they were always having pizza delivered without a thought. I get pizza delivered a couple times a year (admittedly more cause of the 'rona) and make every single meal we eat. And we're well off but I can't justify throwing away money on something I can make fairly easily and most of the time better for a fraction of the expense.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

I agree and I also saw my parents cater to others thinking and God forbid if they went against a parent or something. They both survived cancer and are not in a stage of their lives. Where the mortgage is paid off, all the kids are gone, they are retired and while they are keeping the duplex I grew up in a good living situation. I did take a few chances they didn't take and that got me a very good career, doctorate and a nice house. Sadly, I fell victim to listening or trying to keep other family members happy. As a result, I have about $7K in debt, I really shouldn't have. I keep working my butt off and show how valuable I am, but they give promotions or admin jobs to people are "friends" with admins. I've dealt more with politics both business and wordly more than my parents EVER dealt with themselves and it's extremely exhausting. Every time we had debt paid off, someone convinced my wife or myself to invest in some crap business. That put us right back in debt. It's amazing if we would have said "no" to a few people. We would be a lot comfortable and I wouldn't be fretting about bills every other month. 

• Love 1

Roseanne threw a major tantrum over the Disney story line. ABC and Disney had just became a partnership, and all of the ABC sitcoms had to have a Disney trip. She was only a few years out of poverty herself, and was adamant that it was offensive to the viewers and later, said they just chalked it up to her being mentally unwell and made her enter the mental health hospital again. She never changed her opinion on that story line being ridiculous for the Conners and insulting to people in their position.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, Christina said:

Roseanne threw a major tantrum over the Disney story line. ABC and Disney had just became a partnership, and all of the ABC sitcoms had to have a Disney trip. She was only a few years out of poverty herself, and was adamant that it was offensive to the viewers and later, said they just chalked it up to her being mentally unwell and made her enter the mental health hospital again. She never changed her opinion on that story line being ridiculous for the Conners and insulting to people in their position.

Especially how they went there by Dan doing something majorly stupid like using his pension. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Christina said:

And then in revenge she had the episode where David joins a cult-like theme park and Roseanne deprograms him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I always felt like they should have played it as the Conners won the trip in some sort of sweepstakes to avoid the stupidity of blowing Dan's money on an extravagant vacation. Problem is, a contest probably wouldn't have had a prize for a trip for 9 people, or however many of them there were. Maybe it could've been a trip for 4, and Bev could have ponied up the money for the rest of them, with Dan chipping in some of his pension money.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Giuseppe said:

I always felt like they should have played it as the Conners won the trip in some sort of sweepstakes to avoid the stupidity of blowing Dan's money on an extravagant vacation. Problem is, a contest probably wouldn't have had a prize for a trip for 9 people, or however many of them there were. Maybe it could've been a trip for 4, and Bev could have ponied up the money for the rest of them, with Dan chipping in some of his pension money.

Right and that would have made at least sense to a large degree. Not: "Well screw my pension, city job and more!" This was long before Chuck came in with his Prison Job offer.

• Love 1
On 11/10/2020 at 6:51 PM, ljenkins782 said:

I'm still trying to piece together the layout of the house because the master bedroom has an en suite bathroom, but the upstairs bathroom is connected to both Darlene/Becky's room AND DJ's room and it seems to me that houses with en suite bathrooms typically have at least one bathroom or at least a powder room that isn't connected to any rooms because it'd be weird to have company walking through a bedroom to use the bathroom, so it seems possible they could have 3. 

I am almost positive that the en suite bathroom downstairs has two doors - one from the master and one from the hallway next to the kitchen/open pantry.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, CandysWrapRoom said:

I am almost positive that the en suite bathroom downstairs has two doors - one from the master and one from the hallway next to the kitchen/open pantry.

It does.  At least it did in the original series.  But in an episode where Dan and Louise were in the bathroom, they had moved the toilet next to the tub (when it used to be across from it), so they may have eliminated that door, I can't remember.

• Useful 1

From an episode thread:

I think Roseanne might have had a pension when she worked for the factory but did she lose it when she quit because of that sadistic boss?

Yes, she says so in the episode where they throw her an impromptu party thinking she got the assistant job at the meat-packing plant ("The man doesn't even need a secretary, he doesn't do anything."  "Sounds like a great job."), but didn't, because she didn't know how to use a computer:

"Everyone congratulating me, telling me quitting my job was the best thing I ever did.  It was the stupidest thing I ever did.  How could I do that, how could I quit my job?  I've got three kids.  And some guy gives me a little lip, and I toss it all.  I tossed my paycheck, my benefits, I tossed my pension.  I let him beat me."

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

From an episode thread:

Yes, she says so in the episode where they throw her an impromptu party thinking she got the assistant job at the meat-packing plant ("The man doesn't even need a secretary, he doesn't do anything."  "Sounds like a great job."), but didn't, because she didn't know how to use a computer:

"Everyone congratulating me, telling me quitting my job was the best thing I ever did.  It was the stupidest thing I ever did.  How could I do that, how could I quit my job?  I've got three kids.  And some guy gives me a little lip, and I toss it all.  I tossed my paycheck, my benefits, I tossed my pension.  I let him beat me."

Thanks for answering. I actually went back and watched that episode.

It's so crazy that you can lose you pension if you quit. I left a job for a better opportunity and my 401K transferred. I guess it is because I put money into the 401k (matched by the employer) while a pension is something the company puts aside for you to retire with with solely with  company money?

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I guess it is because I put money into the 401k (matched by the employer) while a pension is something the company puts aside for you to retire with with solely with  company money?

That's correct.  Often, you have to work with the company for a certain amount of time before you're vested, or eligible for the pension.  I work for a state government, and had to be employed for five years before I would see any of that retirement money.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

That's correct.  Often, you have to work with the company for a certain amount of time before you're vested, or eligible for the pension.  I work for a state government, and had to be employed for five years before I would see any of that retirement money.  

My 401k was the same.

• Love 3

It's so crazy that you can lose you pension if you quit.

Ah, pensions, how I miss them (it's appalling that defined benefit plans have gone the way of the dodo).  You have to put in a certain amount of time with the company to fully vest; if you leave before then, you forfeit the unvested portion (which could mean only getting a percentage, or getting nothing, depending on the type of plan).  ERISA caps it at five or seven years, depending on the type of plan.  So, whatever you're entitled to from a former employer, you can collect when you hit retirement age.

But these rules don't apply to pension benefits earned prior to some time in the mid-80s, and many of those earlier plans required ten or even 20 years of service to vest.

So even though it was a union job and she'd been there a while, it's not unrealistic to have written her as forfeiting her pension (because she wasn't vested, given the timing) when she quit Wellman.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 3
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Ah, pensions, how I miss them (it's appalling defined benefit plans have gone the way of the dodo).  You have to put in a certain amount of time with the company to fully vest; if you leave before then, you forfeit the unvested portion (which could mean only getting a percentage, or getting nothing, depending on the type of plan).  ERISA caps it at five or seven years, depending on the type of plan.  So, whatever you're entitled to from a former employer, you can collect when you hit retirement age.

But these rules don't apply to pension benefits prior to some time in the mid 80s, and many of those plans required ten or even 20 years of service.

So even though it was a union job and she'd been there a while, it is quite possible she wasn't vested and thus forfeited her pension (other than any employee contribution, as some plans required) when she quit.

Holy crap, it really puts it into perspective when she says something like, "I lost my job...I lost my pension all because I could not handle some jerk mouthing off to me." (not exact quote).

Also, until she started the Lunchbox...she never found anything better. (some of that was her own fault for not trying to get some new skills).

• Love 3
5 hours ago, qtpye said:

Holy crap, it really puts it into perspective when she says something like, "I lost my job...I lost my pension all because I could not handle some jerk mouthing off to me." (not exact quote).

Also, until she started the Lunchbox...she never found anything better. (some of that was her own fault for not trying to get some new skills).

Sad, but people get put in these situations. Of course, I worked a position and sadly the new manager had it out for me. Entrapped me so he could fire me because he didn't like the fact I was calling out problems that I needed his help in fixing that I wasn't causing. Yet, he saw it as basically calling him an idiot. Then not even a week after he fired me, new employee found out nothing was working right, people were still complaining about issues I had brought up several times. Ended up I was right and they were wrong and as a result, I was able to take money I had put into a 401K with me, but lost anything the health care provided had put in. 

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, readster said:

Sad, but people get put in these situations. Of course, I worked a position and sadly the new manager had it out for me. Entrapped me so he could fire me because he didn't like the fact I was calling out problems that I needed his help in fixing that I wasn't causing. Yet, he saw it as basically calling him an idiot. Then not even a week after he fired me, new employee found out nothing was working right, people were still complaining about issues I had brought up several times. Ended up I was right and they were wrong and as a result, I was able to take money I had put into a 401K with me, but lost anything the health care provided had put in. 

It just shows how precarious anyone's position can be even if you are hard working. I have seen good workers being forced to leave because of incompetent management many times.

I remember when Roseanne had to quit the factory because of that asshole and how it broke her heart. It was not the most glamorous job in the world and most people told her to forget about it (Dan even said it was not that even that big of a deal financially because he was doing well with his dry walling business) but it meant a lot to her to have a stable job and benefits.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, qtpye said:

It just shows how precarious anyone's position can be even if you are hard working. I have seen good workers being forced to leave because of incompetent management many times.

I remember when Roseanne had to quit the factory because of that asshole and how it broke her heart. It was not the most glamorous job in the world and most people told her to forget about it (Dan even said it was not that even that big of a deal financially because he was doing well with his dry walling business) but it meant a lot to her to have a stable job and benefits.

Right and the reason for the story was how at the time, more reports were coming in from blue collar jobs that these managers either young or "Been here so long they SHOULD know how to run things" were put in charged. I mean the guy was a complete asshole and even nods that after Rosanne and crew left, the place went to hell. I think another realistic story would have been the asshole was fired and they came back to Rosanne about giving her a chance to come back. That would have been a really interesting storyline. Even though everyone else was getting a good job, but her. That also felt realistic, because as I said above, that ended up happening to me too, which drove me crazy. You work you ass off, you show you are dependable and so forth, yet people don't want to hire you full time or you just question, how these managers ever get put in charge, yet you are still standing there going: "I could do this job." Yet, you still are just considered a pee on. 

• Love 4

Cozi TV recently restarted the cycle, and back to watching Season 1. There was a sweetness to the show in the beginning. This is one of my all-time favorite shows, but I really don't like watching Season 8 or 9 anymore - Roseanne's cruelness is played for laughs.

Edited by Seamie
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Seamie said:

Cozi TV recently restarted the cycle, and back to watching Season 1. There was a sweetness to the show in the beginning. This is one of my all-time favorite shows, but I really don't like watching Season 8 or 9 anymore - Roseanne's cruelness is played for laughs.

And Jackie was so cool back then. I hate the Wacky Jackie persona.

• Love 5

I'm watching the original again. The Conners can act so entitled. I just realized they keep trying to take out loans for pie-in-the-sky dreams and get angry (even a bit violent) with the loan officers when they get turned down due to them being a poor risk. The ARE a poor risk. They have several mortgages, bad credit scores since they can't pay utility bills, no savings*, and their first attempt at a business failed. Dreams and good intentions don't pay back the bank.

*The $10k for the Lunch Box wasn't savings; it was a one time gift.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The original got working class insecurity/borderline poverty better (in the early years anyway) than they do today, certainly.  I suppose because Roseanne herself kept it real in a way sitcoms typically don't.  

Society tends to look at poverty as a moral failing but there is a psychology to poverty and privation that shapes decision making. It can be reproduced in simulations and experiments, where even normal, level-headed, middle class people make unwise decisions.  The economic studies of scarcity show we even do it on a societal level.  It's really, really difficult to make wise, long-term decisions in those circumstances and you see that with the Conners.  Roseanne's genius was her ability to subvert all that to show there was more to this family.  Life in all its complexity. 😊

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, tessaray said:

The original got working class insecurity/borderline poverty better (in the early years anyway) than they do today, certainly.  I suppose because Roseanne herself kept it real in a way sitcoms typically don't.  

Society tends to look at poverty as a moral failing but there is a psychology to poverty and privation that shapes decision making. It can be reproduced in simulations and experiments, where even normal, level-headed, middle class people make unwise decisions.  The economic studies of scarcity show we even do it on a societal level.  It's really, really difficult to make wise, long-term decisions in those circumstances and you see that with the Conners.  Roseanne's genius was her ability to subvert all that to show there was more to this family.  Life in all its complexity. 😊

As someone whose family has been in these very kinds of situations, YES. This. Some of it is people wanting to buy and do things that help them escape the fact that they're poor, even if only for a while, some of it is the fact that when they do finally have a little extra money, they want to spend it on fun stuff, because they don't know when they'll get the next chance to do that, some of it is them being sold a bunch of BS about how if they just do this or buy into that or whatever that they too will eventually climb the ladder and become rich. 

Hell, wasn't that a large part of what caused the economic crash in 2008? People buying things (notably homes) that they couldn't afford, and the bubble finally burst? But they wanted to do it, 'cause that way they could hopefully "live the American dream" that society keeps selling people. 

• Love 7

But they wanted to do it, 'cause that way they could hopefully "live the American dream" that society keeps selling people. 

That's exactly it. The American Dream is a myth created by post WWII abundance. We were sold a bill of goods and many people will never achieve it. It's sad.

• Love 3

And that's what Roseanne did, by returning to reality in the finale, and what The Conners continues to do: Show that, despite the "American dream", most people who are born poor die poor.  And with unions all but gone and the middle class hanging on by a thread, that's even more true.  The Conners' choices have always existed within a systemic framework - their own experiences as informed by institutional barriers - and evaluating them as if they're made in a vacuum misses the point.

• Love 9

Watching reruns of Rosanne as an adult made me realize David is a weasel, a weakling, selfish, and a mooch but who thinks he's the nice sensitive one. I'm glad for the times when Dan called him out. Like the time Dan said David had no right to look down on Mark who is doing his best to provide for Becky. 

So we shouldn't be surprised he ran out on Darlene and the kids. All the signs of his character were already there way back then.

Edited by Snow Apple
spelling
  • Love 9
21 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Watching reruns of Rosanne as an adult made me realize David is a weasel, a weakling, selfish, and a mooch but who thinks he's the nice sensitive one. I'm glad for the times when Dan called him out. Like the time Dan said David had no right to look down on Mark who is doing his best to provide for Becky. 

So we shouldn't be surprised she ran out on Darlene and the kids. All the signs of his character were already there way back then.

I know, isn't it weird?I never used to look at him that way but everything you said is true. Ever since the new show started it hit me that he really was useless. Although I had an inkling when he was living with Darlene in Chicago. I mean what did he do all day? He wasn't in school, he didn't work, Darlene didn't have a tv, so he couldn't lay around and watch that all day. At least he could have fixed up the apartment. That fireplace had a lot of potential and he was supposed to have artistic inclinations?  So did he stare at the wall all day?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 5
38 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I’m the same age as David and Darlene. When I watched as a teenager, I didn’t mind the character. As an adult, he’s my least favorite character. 

Right? I wouldn't want my daughter to marry either one of the Healy boys. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

So we shouldn't be surprised he ran out on Darlene and the kids. All the signs of his character were already there way back then.

14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I know, isn't it weird?I never used to look at him that way but everything you said is true. Ever since the new show started it hit me that he really was useless. Although I had an inkling when he was living with Darlene in Chicago. I mean what did he do all day? He wasn't in school, he didn't work, Darlene didn't have a tv, so he couldn't lay around and watch that all day. At least he could have fixed up the apartment. That fireplace had a lot of potential and he was supposed to have artistic inclinations?  So did he stare at the wall all day?

14 hours ago, RocknRollZombie said:

Now rewatching Roseanne and taking into consideration all the things David did that were ‘nice’ and or ‘right’ for his benefit basically makes me wish what could have been a scene were it would have been nice if it was Mark who tore into him, and set him straight. 

10 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I’m the same age as David and Darlene. When I watched as a teenager, I didn’t mind the character. As an adult, he’s my least favorite character. 

9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Right? I wouldn't want my daughter to marry either one of the Healy boys. 

I think part of the reason we all gave David such a pass back in the day was that he was a kid that came from an abusive home.

I knew David was incredibly selfish sometimes but I understood that he had nothing in the world but Darlene and of course he was going to hold on to her for dear life. I also disliked the way Mark would bully him sometimes.

However, I was horrified to find that middle age David was still getting a free pass on his passive aggressive behavior because he acts meek and sad.

David abandons his family, leaving Darlene with all the bills, has no relationship with his children, and Roseanne greets him with a big hug and tells him he can do better??????

This is not an 8 year old refusing to eat his vegetables. This is a grown ass man who is selfish as fuck.

Heck, Roseanne never hugs her own children that way...why is David so special?

Even returning from the Peace Corp, he still does jack for his family. How about taking your creativity inclined son for some art classes or helping your daughter get a job?

He really has become a horrible character.

• Love 3

I was watching Shower The People You Love with Stuff today. OG Becky had returned and she and Darlene were fighting. I know it's been mentioned before here but it really hit me today. Leci and Sarah had real looking fights. New Becky never had the fire in the belly the OG Becky did.

• Love 4
On 1/17/2021 at 5:26 AM, qtpye said:

Heck, Roseanne never hugs her own children that way...why is David so special?

I think Roseanne and David had a weird bond based on abusive childhoods. It was definitely its own separate thing and I actually kind of understand it but it doesn't negate the fact that David was an awful parent. While his terrible childhood explains his lack of parenting skills, I had hoped his attempts at therapy would have helped rehabilitate the character more. Instead we have a gaping hole where David should be in their lives.

I can't blame JG for not wanting to be in The Conners as it is now.  (Assuming he was asked and said no but who knows?)  

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I think Roseanne and David had a weird bond based on abusive childhoods. It was definitely its own separate thing and I actually kind of understand it but it doesn't negate the fact that David was an awful parent. While his terrible childhood explains his lack of parenting skills, I had hoped his attempts at therapy would have helped rehabilitate the character more. Instead we have a gaping hole where David should be in their lives.

I can't blame JG for not wanting to be in The Conners as it is now.  (Assuming he was asked and said no but who knows?)  

Agreed. And part of it too, was that David was quiet, respectful and brought Darlene out of her funk. Then there was the whole not being anything like Mark.

• Love 5

Reruns of Rosanne today showed the episode where she lost a job due to her lack of computer skills. It still piss me off that she didn't sign up for basic computer skills after that.

Jackie tried and learned many things throughout the show. Police, truck driver, etc. She was even enthusiastic about being a sample lady at the grocery store. The loose meat restaurant was Jackie's idea. You can tell Rosanne wanted Dan to talk her into it so she can blame him if it failed. Rosanne only want jobs that's handed to her.

Rosanne is lazy an unfortunately, it reminds me of adult Becky following in her footsteps a bit. It's easier to be a waitress or factory worker then take the classes for a hospitality career. Why was that story dropped?

However, as much as I complain, Rosanne was more realistic. Even with all the struggling and pettiness (we've all been there), there was a warmth, sweet humor, and love that I'm not feeling with the new show.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Reruns of Rosanne today showed the episode where she lost a job due to her lack of computer skills. It still piss me off that she didn't sign up for basic computer skills after that.

Jackie tried and learned many things throughout the show. Police, truck driver, etc. She was even enthusiastic about being a sample lady at the grocery store. The loose meat restaurant was Jackie's idea. You can tell Rosanne wanted Dan to talk her into it so she can blame him if it failed. Rosanne only want jobs that's handed to her.

Rosanne is lazy an unfortunately, it reminds me of adult Becky following in her footsteps a bit. It's easier to be a waitress or factory worker then take the classes for a hospitality career. Why was that story dropped?

However, as much as I complain, Rosanne was more realistic. Even with all the struggling and pettiness (we've all been there), there was a warmth, sweet humor, and love that I'm not feeling with the new show.

Agree with everything you say, but one little detail:  It's Roseanne not Rosanne.  This jumps out at me every time because my real first name is ... Rosanne.  And no, I don't look like Roseanne Barr.  😉

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Watching An Officer And A Gentleman right now and may I say how refreshing it is to see Jackie being competent and clear headed? As a side note, Becky is telling Jackie about some boy at school that she likes and his name is Roy.  Could it be:

image.thumb.png.9027f12f4e02a956e177bf7444edcd49.png

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3

One that has been driving me nuts about The Conners they seem to keep changing where the door/stairs are to the basement. They did is a couple of times on the original Roseanne but it more obvious on The Conners. 

On the origial, when David walked off to go to the basement he went to the backporch where the laundry machines are. Then the basement door became part of the fourth wall that we never see in the kitchen. 

Now it seems like they either go off to the back porch, or more recently they head toward where the bathroom used to be. I don't recall them using the fourth wall in either reboot. 

I know it's a small nitpick but it just annoying and always pulls me outta the storyline. 

• Love 4

Rewatching the series again and my feelings for David haven't changed. I always thought Darlene could do better. As others pointed out the signs were there David was no good. Maybe we hoped he would change but he didn’t. Him not doing anything while Darlene was in school was a big red flag. What did he do besides mooch off the Conners? At least Mark worked.  

I am watching "Construction Junction". I can't remember how I felt then but that was a huge mistake for Dan to quit his garage job for that prison job and how selfish were Dan's friends wanting him to quit that job for them. They pushed the narrative "It’s all for us" but it was about them and making Dan make a huge sacrifice that jeopardize his family financial future for them.

• Love 9
42 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

Rewatching the series again and my feelings for David haven't changed. I always thought Darlene could do better. As others pointed out the signs were there David was no good. Maybe we hoped he would change but he didn’t. Him not doing anything while Darlene was in school was a big red flag. What did he do besides mooch off the Conners? At least Mark worked.

Yeah, David did everything to try to keep Darlene from going away to college. Asked her to marry him, threatened to date other people, told Dan and Rosanne she did drugs. And that's just off the top of my head. Red flags everywhere.

I guess DJ sensed it because he kept trying to get rid of him. Unlike David, I don't recall he had a problem with Mark living there.

• Love 5
On 4/15/2021 at 7:49 PM, eel21788 said:

I've resolved that as this: She had an adjustable rate mortgage. When the mortgage amount reset to reflect the new interest rate in 2008, she could no longer afford the payments. She ended up in foreclosure along with the other 1.65 million other victims of the "Great Recession." With a foreclosure in her past, she would have trouble finding another mortgage or a decent rental.

On 4/15/2021 at 7:36 PM, barshi50 said:

Whatever happened to Jackie's house?

On the original show, she was so frazzled living with Bev at the senior complex that  she bought the house Dan and his flipped (she borrowed the down payment from Bev)

All I saw was adjustable and Bev and instantly thought of Craftmatic Adjustable Bev 😂😂

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
On 4/10/2021 at 10:25 AM, Snow Apple said:

Yeah, David did everything to try to keep Darlene from going away to college. Asked her to marry him, threatened to date other people, told Dan and Rosanne she did drugs. And that's just off the top of my head. Red flags everywhere.

And then later Darlene pulled something similar when she guilted him into giving up his summer trip to Europe, which was by far the most interesting and independent thing he had ever wanted to do. Those two had such an awful co-dependent dynamic.

• Love 5

Hindsight is 20/20 but when I binged Roseanne a couple weeks ago I realized they never should've ran the Bike Shop. 

Dan had a drywall business and fixed bikes on the side. He was more known for the drywall than fixing bikes. Where did the previous owner customers go? Did he get advice on how to run a bike business and what to do when sales are slow? Even with the recession, the shop shouldn't have folded in a year. Did Dan branch out and try to get business? 

I think the money Ziggy gave them should've gone to paying bills, a savings or expanding Dan's drywall business. 

• Love 4

Did Dan know how to fix cars? If yes, he should have expanded the business to fix cars in addition to the motorcycle side. I can't imagine a lot of people in Landford spending money buying motorcycles, but many of the working class families probably have older cars that need servicing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4