Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Pallas

The Conners Past and Present

3 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Into today's job market, a two year degree makes more sense because a four year degree does guarantee success anymore unless you are going for something in the medical field. A lot of community colleges have programs leading to four year degree by taking classes at night or on-line. If Harris wants to attend college, she should not expect Dan to pay for it.

She didn’t expect him to pay for it.   She politely (for Harris lol) hedged the topic and he went with it.   It’s ok for parents and grandparents to buy things for their kids if they are able to and want to.   My dad paid for my college and I paid for my grad school.  

• Like 5

If he had the money, it should go for his retirement instead of paying for Harris's college. There is no excuse for her to get a job, go to a community college for the first two years, apply for financial and look at scholarships. Having Darlene and her two kids living with him as already stretched his budget and added to his stress of trying to keep his head above water financial wise.

HS students in our district have the opportunity to take generals at the local community college for free while in HS.  Instead it seems that Harris skips class and hangs out in the bomb shelter.  

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Instead it seems that Harris skips class and hangs out in the bomb shelter.  

I love the way TV shows have high school kids mess around, get lousy grades and basically have no real interest in their educations - until it comes time for college.  In the real world you probably aren't anymore motivated to go on to higher education than you were to go to high school but if you do want to go, well, the consequence of not going to class is you don't go to university unless bank of Mom and Dad eases your way.  

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

If he had the money, it should go for his retirement instead of paying for Harris's college. There is no excuse for her to get a job, go to a community college for the first two years, apply for financial and look at scholarships. Having Darlene and her two kids living with him as already stretched his budget and added to his stress of trying to keep his head above water financial wise.

He thought he might be able to retire and help pay for her college, and help pay for Mark’s art course.   It was actually a really sweet scene IMO.  Also I think any added financial burden of having Darlene and her kids living with him is erased by the joy they bring him.   Like in the last episode, he tells Darlene to go live her life but once she leaves the room we see he is upset about it.   

Since he didnt get the big payout, she probably will do the community college route first, barring any other bad life choices-  let’s see if Harris can make it through high school and college without getting married or pregnant lol.  

• Like 5

On 1/25/2019 at 7:14 PM, bigskygirl said:

With two mortgages, the bike shop on its last leg, Roseanne losing her job at the restaurant, and two more kids at home, she could have applied for financial aid as a hardship case even at the local community college.

In the intervening years after Darlene and Becky left home, both Dan and Roseanne could have trained for in demand careers like plumbing/electric/healthcare.  But they did not.  Becky could have done the same, but did not.  

I will say it again.  They were never poor.  My trailer dwelling neighbor with the nine kids managed to get her RN while working full time and commuting 50 miles each way.   

I don’t know anyone I went to school with who is as bad off as the Connors, and they all live in small farming communities.  

• Like 6

I think we need to remember that these are sitcom characters, not real people.  They are pretty much where sitcom characters in a show about the working (lower) middle class should be.  Repeating the same mistakes, making bad choices, living in the moment.  

• Like 9

On 1/25/2019 at 1:44 PM, Bastet said:

They never specify Mark's job, but given his experience and the money they're offering him, I assumed it was another mechanic position.  Mark tells Becky his friend called from Minneapolis, saying there's an opening where he works and the job is his if he wants it.  It pays three times what he made working for Dan, and they'd let him join the union.

Which is why I never understood why Mark was suddenly fired; that job sounded pretty secure. I know Sarah Chalke was joining the show and they brought Mark and Becky back to Lanford (although it always bugged me that they were shown in Sarah's first episode to be merely visiting, only to be living there one episode later by Thanksgiving--and I don't think the jump from a temporary visit to moving in was ever explained, either), but couldn't they have just had Mark find out there was a similar job in or around Lanford, which meant they would be near the family again? Whatever rebellion Mark may have had when he was younger, he was shown over and over again to be a hard worker, so for him to be suddenly fired/skipping his trade school classes behind Becky's back to go to the Lobo rang very false to me. 

Edited by UYI
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, UYI said:

Which is why I never understood why Mark was suddenly fired; that job sounded pretty secure. I know Sarah Chalke was joining the show and they brought Mark and Becky back to Lanford (although it always bugged me that they were shown in Sarah's first episode to be merely visiting, only to be living there one episode later by Thanksgiving--and I don't think the jump from a temporary visit to moving in was ever explained, either), but couldn't they have just had Mark find out there was a similar job in or around Lanford, which meant they would be near the family again? Whatever rebellion Mark may have had when he was younger, he was shown over and over again to be a hard worker, so for him to be suddenly fired/skipping his trade school classes behind Becky's back to go to the Lobo rang very false to me. 

That's what I hated when they brought Sarah as Becky. In that same episode when Sarah's Becky learns that Mark skipped those trade school classes. Becky #2 told Mark that she didn't want him to feel useless/worthless. Becky #2 let Roseanne put those ideas in her head, let Roseanne tell her what to do to I guess handle Mark.(one of the reasons why I never liked Roseanne's character)

I didn't like that both Becky and Mark's personalities took a giant turn when they were brought back. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RocknRollZombie said:

That's what I hated when they brought Sarah as Becky. In that same episode when Sarah's Becky learns that Mark skipped those trade school classes. Becky #2 told Mark that she didn't want him to feel useless/worthless. Becky #2 let Roseanne put those ideas in her head, let Roseanne tell her what to do to I guess handle Mark.(one of the reasons why I never liked Roseanne's character)

I didn't like that both Becky and Mark's personalities took a giant turn when they were brought back. 

Right and when Mark came back, we finally got all the background on why he wanted to get far away from his family as much as possible when they pushed David on the show. When he came back, they all acted like their dad ran out on them and not their mother was an abusive bitch. Even when they thought David left to go live with his mother. Seriously, no one didn't go: "Wait, why why would he go live with her when he was ready to run away?" Nope, nah it was all their dad's fault and those extra two younger siblings they had? Who are they?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, readster said:

Right and when Mark came back, we finally got all the background on why he wanted to get far away from his family as much as possible when they pushed David on the show. When he came back, they all acted like their dad ran out on them and not their mother was an abusive bitch. Even when they thought David left to go live with his mother. Seriously, no one didn't go: "Wait, why why would he go live with her when he was ready to run away?" Nope, nah it was all their dad's fault and those extra two younger siblings they had? Who are they?

Their names are Lisa and Nikki, just in case anyone forgot. :) 

• Like 4

David suffered verbal/phsyical abuse by his mother. Mark, he was kicked out at 16 by their parents. I'm sure David had Mark to defend/protect him when they lived under the same roof before Mark was kicked out. It never stated that Mark wanted to be far away from his folks but we learned that Mark's realationship with their parents  was more distant than David's. In the first eps of S5 Mark mentioned that his parents gave him furniture for his & Becky's apartment. S8 the wedding ep is where we learn of how Mark was treated by their parents.

I mean yeah Mark may have been the big brother bully to David.David literally says everything that Mark did to him when they were growing up,but they cared for each other. They know that one of them had to sadly endure their crappy parents for a few more years,before they met the conners. Both brothers found their safe haven within the conners.

Side note: I loved when Mark realized/admitted it to Dan during his break up with Becky,that Becky is the only good thing in his life that he didn't want to lose.

Edited by RocknRollZombie
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, RocknRollZombie said:

I mean yeah Mark may have been the big brother bully to David.David literally says everything that Mark did to him when they were growing up,but they cared for each other. They know that one of them had to sadly endure their crappy parents for a few more years,before they met the conners. Both brothers found their safe haven within the conners.

Side note: I loved when Mark realized/admitted it to Dan during his break up with Becky,that Becky is the only good thing in his life that he didn't want to lose.

It also gave more depth to Mark as a result. His situation with Rosanne at his appartment back in season 5 rang more of: "Well, I care about Becky and you really don't know my life." Which was cliche, however when Darelene finally came clean to her parents on what David were going through. They pretty much saw why Mark and David were so screwed up. I do kind of wish Lisa and Nikki did show up if there is another season. Be interesting if they came up very adjusted and were the type of kids that went: "Our crappy parents did not DEFINE our lives." Be a nice change for once. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Honestly I think one of my favorite David/Mark scenes is still on David’s wedding day David wanting his parents to be there and Mark getting pissed at  him and outright calling a The Conners their parents now.  And then doing David’s tie and When David asks where he learned how to tie a tie  Mark said it was the only thing their father ever taught him and now he taught David so now David didn’t need him anymore.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 9

On 1/26/2019 at 1:32 PM, CherryAmes said:

I love the way TV shows have high school kids mess around, get lousy grades and basically have no real interest in their educations - until it comes time for college.  In the real world you probably aren't anymore motivated to go on to higher education than you were to go to high school but if you do want to go, well, the consequence of not going to class is you don't go to university unless bank of Mom and Dad eases your way.  

That’s what her mom did and it worked out for her.  I found Darlene going to college they way she did unrealistic at that time.  Have not seen that story in a long time so not sure my opinion would change. 

It would be nice to see Fred and Andy again if they exist     Even though Jackie and Fred did not have anything in common years ago maybe they do now.  And Fred like Bev 😂 

• Like 1

I've been rewatching season one and Roseanne's acting is painful to watch.  She did improve but this season it was just so bad.

• Like 1

I saw most of the episodes of the classic Roseanne series, but I have yet to watch this new reboot. I think now's a good time, since it's on Hulu, otherwise I will be terribly behind on the whole "franchise".

Edited by Virtual
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2019 at 9:43 PM, Virtual said:

Thanks. I am sure I will, especially if Dan and Darlene get a good amount of screen time (I enjoyed them best on the original show).

It's essentially Darlene's show. She seems on the verge of tears for most of the first season, though,  which kind of got old. I thought her writing on this season improved a lot.

• Like 1