Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E05: The Tsuranga Conundrum

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, Llywela said:

Plus, the first Doctor and his companions once spent an entire two-episode adventure trapped aboard a malfunctioning TARDIS, very early on in their time together - an absolutely classic Bottle Show that one, and a very important step forward for a team that was still getting to know one another, learning to trust.

In general, though, it is true that the TARDIS is mostly a device to enable the anthology-style storytelling of the show, moving the cast to a new location every week.

I knew someone would know of a classic era TARDIS centered episode!

Okay just found out when the episode re-airs.  Good to know.  I enjoyed this episode and I would watch it again.  After having watched Galaxy Quest recently, the Pting reminds me of the "miners" in that movie.  Loved the Doctor's mention of Poirot!

9 hours ago, rab01 said:
9 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

She was in pain for most of the first 15 minutes of the show and then it just . . . stopped.  

I only watched this episode once so I may be wrong but I thought there were a couple of call-backs to the pain in the second-half, like she was recovering throughout but not yet fully healed.   

I can confirm that the Doctor does comment on "still hurting" well into the second half.

On 11/4/2018 at 7:18 PM, cardigirl said:

Couldn’t understand a lot of what was said. Why wouldn’t Ryan fist-bump Graham?

He just said no to the request.  I think it is just supposed to be a running joke that 'old guy' is trying to connect with "young guy" but it's not happening.

Edited by elle
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Kromm said:

No issues here, although it may help that I also watch a lot of UK panel shows and other programming, so I have exposure to more than just Who to gain knowledge of how to decipher regional UK accents and idioms.

I have no issue with the accents but I find it hard to actually hear them, literally. The background music is usually too loud for me to hear their actual words. I've always had that issue with this show though, so it's not really anything new. It's mostly in the more action based scenes. 

I also accept that I'm watching a show from another country. It's not their responsibility to make it easier for me to understand them. If I choose to watch a show not made in the US it's up to me to find a way to understand them. I'd hate the show to water down the accents just so my delicate little American ears don't have to work so hard. lol 

Part of the reason I watch this show is because I love that it is so British. I'd probably hate an Americanized version. 

8 hours ago, Llywela said:

I wondered, same as OP, why the Doctor seemed to be the only one still affected by the sonic mine when they were all stood right on top of it.

Perhaps it is something in her chemical makeup that was more effected than a human body would be. 

7 hours ago, elle said:

I enjoyed this episode and I would watch it again.  After having watched Galaxy Quest recently, the Pting reminds me of the "miners" in that movie.

OMG, yes, he's like a baby miner. Also...LOVE that movie more than is healthy. You have excellent taste. :)

2 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I have no issue with the accents but I find it hard to actually hear them, literally. The background music is usually too loud for me to hear their actual words. I've always had that issue with this show though, so it's not really anything new. It's mostly in the more action based scenes. 

That's not much different than many American shows. It's an ongoing issue for a lot of people

• Love 1
1 minute ago, DanaK said:

That's not much different than many American shows. It's an ongoing issue for a lot of people

This is true. It drives me crazy and I don't get it at all. Poor writers go through all the trouble of writing pithy dialog only to be drown out by music and special effects. 

Example, watching the "found my Tardis" ep right now, and there is a shoot out and I can't hear a damn thing The Doctor is saying. GRRRRR Glad I watched it with CC the first time or I would have missed a lot. 

On 11/6/2018 at 5:59 PM, Mabinogia said:

So true. My only previous experience with Jodie was Broadchurch (TOTALLY different character) so I was prepared for another emo Doc but she is just so fun as the Doctor and that is exactly how I like my Doctor. Running towards the next adventure. Working this out as she goes along. 

I just watched the first episode of Broadchurch and I agree that Jodie is the opposite of that here (and man did she look so mousy with that darker hair color, and much younger, even though it was filmed only 5-6 ago)

I like the background music this year -- atmospheric electronica, as opposed to the previous faux- John Williams orchestral stuff. I like the production values in general : the less farcical tone, the cinematic look. I even like the new Doctor -- less above-it-all, more vulnerable.

Too bad the scripts and the companions are so awful.

• Love 2