Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

S01.E03: Disney Night

Recommended Posts


Ugh. Honey Boo Boo is still there. So heartbreaking to see these kids get voted off and cry. I liked little Pippen. Certainly more than Honey Boo Boo. I can’t believ they gave her 7s. And had such praise for her! What were they watching?!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Runningwild said:

Ugh. Honey Boo Boo is still there. So heartbreaking to see these kids get voted off and cry. I liked little Pippen. Certainly more than Honey Boo Boo. I can’t believ they gave her 7s. And had such praise for her! What were they watching?!

Yeah, she seems to be getting scored on an entirely different scale than everyone else.   they praise her "confidence", and ignore the fact that her dancing is awful.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Runningwild said:

Ugh. Honey Boo Boo is still there. So heartbreaking to see these kids get voted off and cry. I liked little Pippen. Certainly more than Honey Boo Boo. I can’t believ they gave her 7s. And had such praise for her! What were they watching?!

Agreed. She and Akash are the weakest dancers left, and I'm flabbergasted that Pippen left over them.  What was the AUDIENCE watching?

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Runningwild said:

Ugh. Honey Boo Boo is still there. So heartbreaking to see these kids get voted off and cry. I liked little Pippen. Certainly more than Honey Boo Boo. I can’t believ they gave her 7s. And had such praise for her! What were they watching?!

I think Pippen's song didn't help.  It made the dancing difficult.  I felt bad for her getting labeled shy and having them constantly talk about it.  Honey Boo Boo is not even dancing, just walking around.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/21/2018 at 7:35 PM, luvbadtv said:

I think Pippen's song didn't help.  It made the dancing difficult.  I felt bad for her getting labeled shy and having them constantly talk about it.  Honey Boo Boo is not even dancing, just walking around.

That Foxtrot was a mess.  I had hoped that Honey Boo Boo would show at least a little grace and fluidity in Ballroom, but she was stiff, clunky, stompy, and totally lacking in musicality.  I could see that Tristan was muscling and dragging her around the dance floor the entire time!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Can someone point me to some spoilers so I can know who won?  I'm impatient.  

 

I watched 4 dances.  Two of them included a limbo contest with Jordan and a totally not rehearsed girl power speech.  They really don't have enough content to make a full show.  (Kudos to Jordan for looking like he loves kids, though.)

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think the girl power speech was rehearsed, but to each their own on what they believe is or isn't coached here.  Sky is a pretty mature little kid IMO.  She's a good mix of acting her age, but has poise beyond her years.  The limbo thing was clearly rehearsed.  But in terms of Sky, a 10 year old girl is fully capable of saying something perceptive all on her own, especially when it's a young girl who has spent most of her short young life competing in male dominated sports.  So I presume she's heard her fair share of girl power speeches as pertaining to her skateboard career and etc.  

Sky/JT and Ariana/Aryton are still the couples to beat here IMO.  

Mackenzie was good and I thought the choreography was good (and I have a hard time thinking that was Gleb's choreography), but I still have a hard time accepting Mack in a contest competing against 9 & 10 year olds.  Miles was pretty good, but see what I said about Mack and I still don't think he's going to win over the younger/cuter couples.

I'm also far less worked up about Alanna still being here.  Sad that Sophia was sad, but her performance IMO wasn't great either and her performance skills weren't great.  Plus she's barely known by the audience compared to some of the others.

The Toy Story dance was cute.  Jason isn't a great dancer, but being sort of weird and gangly works in character for Woody.

I also think there is plenty of content for a full show considering the show is only an hour.  It is over quickly and there is very little filler.  Even the packages before the dances are short as of now to fit in all the dances.

Edited by spanana
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I wish it was Honey Boo Boo who was eliminated tonight. The girl has no talent. Put Artem out of his misery already. I think the sister relationship that Lindsay and Rylee have is so cute. Riley really looks like a mini Lindsay and I think their dancing styles are similar, but of course Lindsay's dancing is more polished. I just love Sky. She is just adorable and quite a natural little performer. JT and she are a perfect partnership. And of course who can forget Ariana and Aryton. I really think they are heading for the finals. Mandla and Brightyn are a couple to watch. Madla has real musicality obviously inherited from his dad, Stevie Wonder. And Brightyn is an emerging star. I can really see her on DWTS someday, that is if ABC doesn't cancel it. 

Has anyone noticed that Val and that other judge Mandy, switch chairs every week? I wonder why, it is kinda strange. Adam is in the same chair every week, so far. I guess that can change. The judges at DWTS always sit in the same chair.

Found it a bit hilarious that Kim Kardashian is giving advice to her goddaughter on how to dance. And then Sophia is eliminated that same night.  In fact Sophia is eliminated in week 3. That is the same week that Kim was eliminated on DWTS. LOL! And what a liar Kim is saying she was shy on DWTS. Shy people don't post 1/2 nude to completely nude pictures of themselves on the internet. 

Edited by BeeBop88
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, BeeBop88 said:

I wish it was Honey Boo Boo who was eliminated tonight. The girl has no talent. Put Artem out of his misery already. I think the sister relationship that Lindsay and Rylee have is so cute. Rylee really looks like a mini Lindsay and I think their dancing styles are similar, but of course Lindsay's dancing is more polished. I just love Sky. She is just adorable and quite a natural little performer. JT and she are a perfect partnership. And of course who can forget Ariana and Aryton. I really think they are heading for the finals. Mandla and Brightyn are a couple to watch. Madla has real musicality obviously inherited from his dad, Stevie Wonder. And Brightyn is an emerging star. I can really see her on DWTS someday, that is if ABC doesn't cancel it. 

Has anyone noticed that Val and that other judge Mandy, switch chairs every week? I wonder why, it is kinda strange. Adam is in the same chair every week, so far. I guess that can change. The judges at DWTS always sit in the same chair.

Found it a bit hilarious that Kim Kardashian is giving advice to her goddaughter on how to dance. And then Sophia is eliminated that same night.  In fact Sophia is eliminated in week 3. That is the same week that Kim was eliminated on DWTS. LOL! And what a liar Kim is saying she was shy on DWTS. Shy people don't post 1/2 nude to completely nude pictures of themselves on the internet. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, DucksFlyTogether said:

Can someone point me to some spoilers so I can know who won?  I'm impatient.  

 

I watched 4 dances.  Two of them included a limbo contest with Jordan and a totally not rehearsed girl power speech.  They really don't have enough content to make a full show.  (Kudos to Jordan for looking like he loves kids, though.)

I really don’t think that was rehearsed. I read her bio and that’s part of why she’s a “star.” In addition to skateboarding and surfing, she gives speeches about girl empowerment. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I do know who wins and know who the finalists were and can answer any questions via messages, but I'm scared to put it on here even under a spoiler tag in case I mess it up.  It's also just what I heard so I don't know details about how we got to that win or what anyone danced and etc.  It's also just based on what I've heard from other people.  Ducks, I sent you a message with the info.

Edited by spanana

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry to see Jake go. I loved watching him dance. I can understand why Sophia didn't advance though. She didn't project an enthusiasm and a warm personality.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, BeeBop88 said:

 

Has anyone noticed that Val and that other judge Mandy, switch chairs every week? I wonder why, it is kinda strange. Adam is in the same chair every week, so far. I guess that can change. The judges at DWTS always sit in the same chair.

 

Val was in the center chair in week 1. Since then, Mandy has been in the center chair. I think it will stay that way until the end of the season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, spanana said:

I do know who wins and know who the finalists were and can answer any questions via messages, but I'm scared to put it on here even under a spoiler tag in case I mess it up.  It's also just what I heard so I don't know details about how we got to that win or what anyone danced and etc.  It's also just based on what I've heard from other people.  Ducks, I sent you a message with the info.

Can you send it to me to? I'm too lazy to tape the show and something else comes on at 7

Scottie Pippen's daughter just looked to me like someone who thought her pretty was going to carry her through.

 

Shyness aside  I don't think that had anything to do with why she was not performing well. I don't know who all the other contestants are but it seems like most of them have jobs where they were in front of a camera acting and although there is a element of acting in modeling at her age I don't think it's the same so those who are actual actors would have had an advantage when getting into character

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, BeeBop88 said:

I wish it was Honey Boo Boo who was eliminated tonight. The girl has no talent. Put Artem out of his misery already. I think the sister relationship that Lindsay and Rylee have is so cute. Riley really looks like a mini Lindsay and I think their dancing styles are similar, but of course Lindsay's dancing is more polished. I just love Sky. She is just adorable and quite a natural little performer. JT and she are a perfect partnership. And of course who can forget Ariana and Aryton. I really think they are heading for the finals. Mandla and Brightyn are a couple to watch. Madla has real musicality obviously inherited from his dad, Stevie Wonder. And Brightyn is an emerging star. I can really see her on DWTS someday, that is if ABC doesn't cancel it. 

Found it a bit hilarious that Kim Kardashian is giving advice to her goddaughter on how to dance. And then Sophia is eliminated that same night.  In fact Sophia is eliminated in week 3. That is the same week that Kim was eliminated on DWTS. LOL! And what a liar Kim is saying she was shy on DWTS. Shy people don't post 1/2 nude to completely nude pictures of themselves on the internet. 

I think it would be best for HBB and my eyes, if she were eliminated right now, in a special bonus episode. I don't think it is doing this girl any favours by rewarding her clunky, uninspired dance moves by extending her performance for even longer. Not only is she not gifted with natural talent, Alanna doesn't put in any kind of minimal effort. She obviously loves the camera though, based on her endless smirking. Now she will think that she is so special she will be able to make a living out of show business...even for a talented child star like Lindsay Lohan, that kind of environment can be disasterous. I can't imagine how hard that world will be to navigate as a lazy untalented adult. I am torn between feeling sorry for her and sorry for myself...having to watch her.

In response to your last line, I know that answer! I had the misfortune of clicking on some news piece about how KK is really shy. It turns out that KK is completely confident and comfortable getting naked in front of a bunch of strangers, but put her on a bed with one other person and she becomes.....incredibly shy.

Yeah, I don't believe that one either. I liked Sophia even though she isn't one of my favourites but I have to admit I thought less of the family given that they willingly hang out with Kardashians. Not that the kids are responsible for that, but the stink of association...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Adam's judging remind of John McEnroe's on America's Kids Got Singing on 30 Rock

I also think they are trolling a 12 year old child. Every week there is some type of shade in regards to HBB gangly/trashy ways, manners and weight. This week she is Belle .. I mean

Edited by Boofish
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Boofish said:

I also think they are trolling a 12 year old child. Every week there is some type of shade in regards to HBB gangly/trashy ways, manners and weight.

This. I thought the "skit" before Alanna’s dance was mean-spirited. She's the only overweight contestant, and you make her eat fried chicken in her clip? And you don't show her rehearsing, but you show her not being able to balance a book on her head? I know it was supposed to be funny, but I didn't laugh at all. And I'm not a Honey Boo Boo fan in the slightest.

I thought Alanna did better than she did in her two previous dances. She still isn't all that good, but at least she did some moves that looked like actual ballroom dancing. 

1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

Scottie Pippen's daughter just looked to me like someone who thought her pretty was going to carry her through.

 

Shyness aside  I don't think that had anything to do with why she was not performing well. I don't know who all the other contestants are but it seems like most of them have jobs where they were in front of a camera acting and although there is a element of acting in modeling at her age I don't think it's the same so those who are actual actors would have had an advantage when getting into character

I totally agree with your second paragraph. I had a feeling Sophia was going to be eliminated. She wasn't the worst dancer of the bunch, but she definitely had the least amount of charisma and stage presence. I felt bad for her--she seems like a sweet, likable little girl—I didn't get the impression that she was trying to get by on her looks, though. I think she’d be hamming it up more if she were.

I did laugh at Kim K stating that she (Kim) is shy. She makes a sex tape and poses semi-nude, not to mention her reality show and IG account that expose every facet of her life, and she's shy? Give me a break. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

40 minutes ago, topanga said:

This. I thought the "skit" before Alanna’s dance was mean-spirited. She's the only overweight contestant, and you make her eat fried chicken in her clip? And you don't show her rehearsing, but you show her not being able to balance a book on her head? I know it was supposed to be funny, but I didn't laugh at all. And I'm not a Honey Boo Boo fan in the slightest.

I thought Alanna did better than she did in her two previous dances. She still isn't all that good, but at least she did some moves that looked like actual ballroom dancing.

I agree.  It didn't really register with me last night, but in retrospect I thought the Charm School skit wasn't particularly nice. Especially since the whole thing was rooted in portraying her as white trash, which I know that is what her family is to many.  But she's still a child and it's still 100% playing to stereotypes.  If Alanna were an adult who agreed to do the skit, it would be one thing.  But she's a child.  Which I know I keep repeating, but I think that gets lost a lot in all of this.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I'm sorry to see Sophia go. She is a beautiful young lady, but she just got out-shined by the bigger personalities. She had a great partner in Jake.

Can Mandy please replace Carrie Ann as a judge?

Miles' Aladdin dance was my favorite of the night, followed closely by Sky and Arianna.

As much as I don't care for Alanna, I thought that her pre-dance package was in bad taste and extremely unflattering. That being said, I'm still ready for her to leave.

Camry needs to stop manhandling Akash, he doesn't look comfortable with it.

I'm still calling either Sky or Arianna for the win.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I think Sophia was done in by the fact that she went first and her dance was 100% forgettable.

Alanna's skit was mean spirited but given that her own family has had no reservations about portraying her as lazy, sloppy and trashy for a paycheque for years I can't get too mad at DWTS for continuing it.   This was actually less offensive than most of the crap her own mother co-signed.  On the upside, she was actually sort of dancing tonight and that's an improvement.

At this point, with the exception of Alanna, Jason, or Akash they're all pretty evenly matched and I'd be ok with any of them winning.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, rachel1496 said:

I think Sophia was done in by the fact that she went first and her dance was 100% forgettable.

I think it's this completely. She is a beautiful girl though, and it kind of broke my heart seeing her cry at the end.

I know a lot of people don't like Honey Boo Boo, but the one who bugs me is the Ziegler sister - she obviously has a lot of dance training, I don't care that she's now calling herself a "singer". I think she should have waited a year and competed on the adult version of the show - that would have been more fair than competing against nine and ten year olds (and yes, I know Mandla is 13, but he clearly has no dance training).

I loved Skye's girl power speech - so cute! I just wish Mandy would talk to her about pulling so many faces while she's dancing. She's really good, but i find that a little over the top.

I think The A Team is the one to beat. She is also extra, but so good I don't care. I didn't even mind the limbo thing with Jordan - he clearly loves working with the kids. Artyon is so stinking cute and they have such a fun relationship with Brandon it makes me smile.

This show warms my cynical heart. Kind of the opposite of the adult version, especially after last week's elimination.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I agree that Sophia was partially done in by going first.  As with the adults, placement matters.  At least at this stage.

I did laugh at Kenzie's intro where she was talking about how she and Sage are so different because he dances to music and she sings to music.  I don't care that she's pursuing a singing career, but they do seem to be going out of their way to not brand her a dancer.  Or she and her agents are.  That is why it was funny when Mandy totally exposed her week one during the critique, without ever uttering the words Dance Moms. 

I've actually wondered if there is some sort of clause in their various contracts that anybody that enters business with the Ziegler girls is not allowed to dare utter the word Dance Moms.  Then again, Mack only has a career because Maddie blew up from the show.  I think most of what Mack has gotten since is by virtue of her sister's business relationships.  Even Mack's latest song was written by Sia, which would never have happened in a million years if not for Maddie.  If nothing else, at least this is an attempt at something for Mack fairly independent from her sis.

I like Sky's faces so I hope she doesn't stop.  It's mostly cute because of her age, but I also think she's kept them to the dances yet far where they make sense.  For instance, I thought her face was a lot more toned down this week since she had a contemplative contemp as opposed to an upbeat cha cha or whatever dance she had week one that I can't remember.  Salsa I think?  At the beginning of her Moana number when she was just sitting there in character, she looked so different until I realized it was probably the first time I hadn't seen her grinning from ear to ear.  Also she looks like she could be Chrissy Tiegen's child.

ETA: For anyone who thinks Sky's speech was producer driven, watch this piece on her that the Olympic youtube channel posted.  She says a lot of the same things here, so clearly it is not something she picked up on DWTS or was written for her by producers.  Also she's accomplished more in 10 years than I have in well, more than that:

Edited by spanana
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I think music made a difference. Some of the choreography was more Broadway than Ballroom, but it often was forced by the music. The Coco one was probably the most “Ballroom” to me-and a big part of it was that it was a piece that called for Flamenco. 

 

And I agree-Mackenzie is pretty obviously a pro, and adding that she’s at the top end of the age group just makes her out of place. Ariana also definitely has some dance training-but she still belongs there. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Just another view to the prepackage with Alanna (HBB). I don't see it as offensive, it's obviously a parody of My Fair Lady or Pygmalion. I thought the Belle outfit was actually the most flattering outfit to date. If she actually put some effort into improving, then the story of her evolution into a graceful young woman makes sense. Also completely unlikely but I give credit for Artem in trying to create a story. From the teeny tiny bit of the show that I ever saw (about three minutes top, I think), it was entirely based on how uncouth they are, how they make bad life choices (re food, men, behaviour) but love each other unconditionally. That's their appeal, to some people anyway. How is this any worse? HBB grew up eating unhealthy fried food with limited exercise, and she is effectively in physical boot camp. Maybe it will eventually provoke her into changing her views on food, discipline and hard work. I don't see that as derogatory at all. IMHO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/3/2018 at 10:46 AM, PrePreBabylonia said:

Just another view to the prepackage with Alanna (HBB). I don't see it as offensive, it's obviously a parody of My Fair Lady or Pygmalion. I thought the Belle outfit was actually the most flattering outfit to date. If she actually put some effort into improving, then the story of her evolution into a graceful young woman makes sense. Also completely unlikely but I give credit for Artem in trying to create a story. From the teeny tiny bit of the show that I ever saw (about three minutes top, I think), it was entirely based on how uncouth they are, how they make bad life choices (re food, men, behaviour) but love each other unconditionally. That's their appeal, to some people anyway. How is this any worse? HBB grew up eating unhealthy fried food with limited exercise, and she is effectively in physical boot camp. Maybe it will eventually provoke her into changing her views on food, discipline and hard work. I don't see that as derogatory at all. IMHO.

But the producters of the show pointed these things out in a show about children dancing. They made no other ‘life lessons’ clips about any of the other kids. Their clips were just about dancing, as they should’ve been. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2018-11-08 at 12:11 AM, topanga said:

But the producters of the show pointed these things out in a show about children dancing. They made no other ‘life lessons’ clips about any of the other kids. Their clips were just about dancing, as they should’ve been. 

Well, look at the story source itself. It's been quite a few years since I originally read the fairy tale, but the Disney version showed Belle teaching The Beast how to become socially confident. Artem simply flipped the story on its head. I still don't see the show as attacking her at all. In fact, the judges every week went out of their way to praise and encourage her.

Spoiler

Which probably made it all the worse for her when she was eliminated. I honestly didn't think she cared at all and was surprised that she cried so hard. Looking back though, I think their empathy for her and weekly safety made her think that she was actually good at this. If it is necessary for this family to continue in the reality world to make a living, perhaps they could choose venues that actually work for their skill sets. In Alanna's case, I have no idea what this would be, but competing against talented children that have been in singing, dancing and acting classes all their lives is a bad move, bound to damage her self esteem. Ultimately, it comes to her family. The show is just working with what they've got. I've only seen smirking from Alanna, no talent and no hard work.

Edited by PrePreBabylonia · Reason: Forgot this thread was for individual episodes, not entire season.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size