Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Tangled Up in Blue

tessaray
  • Start Topic

23 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It's sad we still live in an age where characteristics that are traditionally associated with femininity are considered insults when applied to men. David was a sweet, caring and sensitive boy. Saying he was "like the daughter she never had" shouldn't be an insult. It meant he had all the qualities Roseanne had always hoped for in her daughters.

Exactly!

• Love 4
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My first thought was, why would you name your kid something that would remind you of that every time you called her name?

Then again, my grandmother was given a middle name (which she went by) that means "alone" in German, supposedly because she had a twin brother who died at birth. And my mom was named after her (and also goes by her middle name)...and I was named after them, except it's my first name. So there's that.
(I don't know for sure if this is a true story. It's a bit of family lore and anyone who could have verified it is long gone (and I never knew my grandmother). It is true that the name means "alone." But I've also been told it's just an old Irish name with no particular story behind it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

All this to say...sometimes people pick odd names for odd reasons.

I know of twins who were given the unfortunate middle names "Splish" and "Splash" because they were born in the bathtub.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The "daughter she always wanted" comment was deeply rooted in David and Roseanne's relationship, which began because he was dating Darlene, but developed into so much more once he moved in with them - which is why it continued even when David and Darlene split, because he was her family on his own, completely separate from his relationship to Darlene.  David talked to Roseanne, confided in her, sought her counsel, a lot.  That wasn't the relationship she had with her daughters; she had good ones with them, just different from the stereotypical mother/daughter, TV-perfect one Roseanne always jokingly wanted.  So it's a perfect joke to classify David as the daughter she always wanted, and there's also a sweet truth in it, acknowledging that Roseanne died loving him, even if he's estranged from the family as a whole.

Remember the episode where David had a dream about Roseanne and she was comforting him. She said it's not unusual for a boy to have dreams about his girlftiends mothers. David said "I don't think of you as Darlene's mother. I think of you as my own mother."

• Love 24

David said "I don't think of you as Darlene's mother. I think of you as my own mother."

And when Darlene and David got married, their vows referred to the example set by their parents, Dan and Roseanne Conner.  (And when David told Mark he was a little sad their mom and dad weren't coming to the wedding, Mark reminded him of how badly they treated both of them, and said the Conners are their family now.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 23
15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

And when Darlene and David got married, their vows referred to the example set by their parents, Dan and Roseanne Conner.  (And when David told Mark he was a little sad their mom and dad weren't coming to the wedding, Mark reminded him of how badly they treated both of them, and said the Conners are their family now.)

Fuck. I'm having a shitty day and recalling that scene made me cry. I miss Mark.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Does Johnny Galecki lower his voice for this role or raise it for "Big Bang Theory"? 

I think he simply has a different affectation for both characters. It's a whole host of little things, really, from vocal inflections to mannerisms to body posture. It's so subtle but it's so noticeable! 

I don't know.  The first time I saw Big Bang Theory, I wondered what had happened to Johnny Galecki's voice.  It think it's much more nasally as Leonard.

• Love 3

I definitely need Darlene and David together and for David to get his act together. It makes me sad that he's not in the kids lives like he should be be, and that he's not where he wanted to be in life. Johnny Galecki and Sara Gilbert have great chemistry and I love watching him transform back into David after all those years as Leonard. I really hope they get back together after Big Bang ends.

I'm amused that they had both DJ and Mark listening to music so they wouldn't eavesdrop on the sister/parent conversations. I hope Becky gets her drinking problem under control, and they don't get too deep and messy comparing it to Roseanne's overdose, but that feels like where it's going. I liked Gina sticking up for Darlene. 

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, BeachDays said:

Reason #192 I think David and Darlene might get back together-  in this ep we got confirmation they have incredible sex together and pretty much have since they were teenagers (barring the initial mishaps ?)

Yeah, that's a reason to stay with someone whose traumatized reaction to his brother's death was to be utter shit as a husband and father to your kids.  Loving each other is the easy part, and knowing each other, sexually, so well you're guaranteed a good time in bed is great.  Being right for each other involves a lot more than love and sex, though, and it sounds like (I still haven't watched it) the Roseanne revival episode when he showed up and they slept together again and this episode established they lost that long ago.  The time it would take for him to re-establish himself as someone she should be with is longer than this show will be on the air, so I'd rather it be a story of two people making the painful but necessary peace with the fact they had a great run, but it ended, and they need to let go.  Much more realistic - which this franchise was about - than TeenLove4EVA.

We already had that with Dan and Roseanne; it was nice seeing a couple beat the odds and it being a good thing, not something they sadly stuck with just because when they'd have been better off going their separate ways and finding themselves apart from each other long ago.  Mark and Becky probably would have divorced at some point, but he died so that relationship is sort of preserved in amber and she's been stuck in place by the memory of it and fantasies of how it would have progressed.  Darlene and David is the perfect chance to tell the far more likely trajectory, and do it well.  I hope Galecki's main show ending doesn't tempt them into setting up some interminable tale just because they could have him more in future episodes should this continue.

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, that's a reason to stay with someone whose traumatized reaction to his brother's death was to be utter shit as a husband and father to your kids.  Loving each other is the easy part, and knowing each other, sexually, so well you're guaranteed a good time in bed is great.  Being right for each other involves a lot more than love and sex, though, and it sounds like (I still haven't watched it) the Roseanne revival episode when he showed up and they slept together again and this episode established they lost that long ago.  The time it would take for him to re-establish himself as someone she should be with is longer than this show will be on the air, so I'd rather it be a story of two people making the painful but necessary peace with the fact they had a great run, but it ended, and they need to let go.  Much more realistic - which this franchise was about - than TeenLove4EVA.

We already had that with Dan and Roseanne; it was nice seeing a couple beat the odds and it being a good thing, not something they sadly stuck with just because when they'd have been better off going their separate ways and finding themselves apart from each other long ago.  Mark and Becky probably would have divorced at some point, but he died so that relationship is sort of preserved in amber and she's been stuck in place by the memory of it and fantasies of how it would have progressed.  Darlene and David is the perfect chance to tell the far more likely trajectory, and do it well.  I hope Galecki's main show ending doesn't tempt them into setting up some interminable tale just because they could have him more in future episodes should this continue.

I think you might have misunderstood my intent-  I didn’t mean that is a reason why they should get back together.   I meant it’s a clue (among many) that I think that might be where the show is leading.    I could very well be wrong-  but I hope I’m not ?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, BeachDays said:

Reason #192 I think David and Darlene might get back together-  in this ep we got confirmation they have incredible sex together and pretty much have since they were teenagers (barring the initial mishaps ?)

I also think they will get back together.  Why? Because that’s what the audience wants. Because the David fans( including me) are not happy with TPTB for ruining David’s character with the abandoned the kids story line, and we want it ignored.    Put that storyline on the same trash heap as Dan’s early demise. 

• Love 6

Blue getting pregnant is the only way I can see the story working.  I plays to the fear Darlene would have that David would abandon Harris and Mark for his “new family”.     Any other option just seems like a way to add a baby to the show where none is needed.  Well Becky getting pregnant while half way through her promise to get sober would be interesting.

• Love 5

Fictional storylines aren’t going to follow real storylines exactly-   Roseanne is great bc it’s realistic but it’s still a tv show and they want to keep it interesting.   So basically they can write whatever story they want to write, and they can change that story whenever they want to do so.   From my POV, there are more lingering feelings between David and Darlene than I would expect from a couple who has been separated, from what it sounds like, possibly before Mark was even born.  So it’s not so much analyzing what would happen in real life but predicting what will happen on this fictional show.   I don’t like the storyline they gave David last season because it was the complete antithesis to what I saw the character as, but because he had an abusive childhood and his brother died, and he and Darlene started out so young and immature together, I can come up with a worse-case scenario situation that makes sense in my head.   I DO think they need a restart as adults-  and looks like they might get it now.  But again, depends on where they want to go with the storyline, and if the show will continue.   I am loving how much depth we are seeing in their interactions though, and I’m still doing backflips that one of my favorite shows of childhood is back and we can see those characters now at different points of their lives.  

• Love 6

I really hope the show doesn’t reunite Darlene and David as a couple. Generally, when a married couple separates or divorces, there are good reasons for that decision, and one or two sessions of good sex are not magic bullets that will eliminate the underlying relationship problems. Like @Bastet, I would much rather see them come to terms with their marriage being over and figure out how they can be good parents while leading mostly separate lives.  I hate the trope of “separated couple ends up reuniting” that is all too common in disaster flicks, and I would hate it here as well. 

• Love 8

I would def recommend last season's ep with David if people haven't seen it - it's great.

I can take or leave a reunion, but I think it's been clearly set up from last season-onward to play that thread long-term should Johnny Galecki agree to recur often (and I suspect he will).

• Love 1
On 10/25/2018 at 11:35 AM, DangerousMinds said:

Some guys have a thin skin and weak ego then.

This guy agrees 1000%.

Me who reject feminism because "they're so mean to me!" were never allies to begin with.  (Same with whites and groups like BLM.)  When one of my friends say "men [or whites] are so... ", I'm not hurt or offended because I know far too many men and whites who are.

On 10/25/2018 at 12:48 PM, iMonrey said:

It's sad we still live in an age where characteristics that are traditionally associated with femininity are considered insults when applied to men. David was a sweet, caring and sensitive boy. Saying he was "like the daughter she never had" shouldn't be an insult. It meant he had all the qualities Roseanne had always hoped for in her daughters.

I saw it more as the hurt Darlene felt that she wasn't the daughter that Roseanne did have (and that she felt the same about Becky.  It was more a slam at Roseanne than at David.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, jhlipton said:

This guy agrees 1000%.

Me who reject feminism because "they're so mean to me!" were never allies to begin with.  (Same with whites and groups like BLM.)  When one of my friends say "men [or whites] are so... ", I'm not hurt or offended because I know far too many men and whites who are.

I saw it more as the hurt Darlene felt that she wasn't the daughter that Roseanne did have (and that she felt the same about Becky.  It was more a slam at Roseanne than at David.

Thank you! I have always known many great, funny, feminist men who appreciate my dry humor and sarcasm and don’t take it seriously.

• Love 12
On 10/24/2018 at 11:20 PM, tessaray said:

It wasn't marrying Mark that affected Becky, it was Mark dying. His death was also the end of David and Darlene, as David went off the rails afterwards, too. 

In terms of Becky having potential, I personally feel like it's a mix of marrying Mark and losing him that caused her to pull away from that original potential. In the beginning she was a good student and did give the impression that she would be the one to go to college and break the working poor cycle. To that end, I thought it was somewhat off-character for her to fall for bad boy Mark, drop out of HS, and run away with him to get married. She never really did get back on track, studies- and ambition-wise, after that. Back in Lanford, she worked at low-level jobs (including as a waitress at Hooters ripoff Bunz),and when Roseanne gave her money to pay for a semester of community college, she gave all the money away to Mark. But she seemed happy with her life, so I rolled with it. Losing him (and I hope they eventually tell us how he died!) definitely seems to be the thing that made her full-on derail. 

On 10/25/2018 at 5:11 AM, IDreamofJoaquin said:

I thought casting Juliette Lewis was a fun nod to Christmas Vacation whether it was on purpose or not.  Fun seeing Justin Long!!

The writing had been solid and they are able to match the pace of the original show. 

As soon as I saw Juliette Lewis I yelled to my cat, "No way! National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!" It was cool to see those Griswold siblings reunited, even if they WERE reunited as romantic partners!

On 10/25/2018 at 2:37 PM, iMonrey said:

The actual quote is:  “And with regard to Jackie and Fred’s son, Helford says, “We debated whether Andy was part of the ‘dream period’ or whether he existed. He’d probably be off at college if he does exist.”

If he exists?. A character born in Season 6 should not be considered part of the "dream period." I would consider that period exclusive to Season 9, possibly beginning in late Season 8. But all the way back in Season 6? This is why they think they can just ignore that this character ever existed? I call BS on that. To me that's like pretending DJ or Bev or Crystal never existed, simply because you don't have any use for them in your story. That's lazy. Does Jackie strike anyone as the type who would never mention her son, regardless of what happened to him? I don't think so.

I agree 100%! Andy was born three years before the show ended and had nothing to do with the shark-jumping "dream period." It would make no sense for them to wipe him out of existence. The storylines concerning Jackie's pregnancy and becoming a mother were pretty important. Andy would be 24 now and I'd love to see what the character is doing with his life in adulthood. I do hope we find out what happens to him and get to see him (and Jerry) again!

• Love 7
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:46 PM, eskimo said:

I'm on the fence about Gina, she seems a little stiff to me.  Maybe more camera time will allow the character to develop a little better.  I suspect her scoldings are really just good natured ribbing between her and Darlene, but I wish it felt more natural and easier to identify.  I'm not writing her off though, it took a few cast members all of last season to get back into the groove. 

I agree with Eskimo but I'll go a bit further and say I actively dislike her.  It seems like she's had two lines in the whole series and they've both been holier-than-thou put-downs of others.

I like this episode title.  Nice nod to Bob Dylan.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Oosala said:

I agree with Eskimo but I'll go a bit further and say I actively dislike her.  It seems like she's had two lines in the whole series and they've both been holier-than-thou put-downs of others.

I like this episode title.  Nice nod to Bob Dylan.

I agree. It's like she's the token minority character who's there to deliver sassy one-liners and exit stage left. I guess it isn't the actress' fault if she doesn't have the material to work with, but at this stage she doesn't add anything to the show and would probably work best on permanent deployment. I'm surprised so many people think she's fantastic.

• Love 4

I think they're layering her in. It's also important to note the episode order was switched around; the David ep was intended to air during sweeps. Geena-centric stuff is incoming and was (likely) intended to air earlier.

I think people are just glad to see more faces of color in the main cast, especially after what Roseanne Barr wrought. I think that's extremely valid.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

I really hope the show doesn’t reunite Darlene and David as a couple. Generally, when a married couple separates or divorces, there are good reasons for that decision, and one or two sessions of good sex are not magic bullets that will eliminate the underlying relationship problems. Like @Bastet, I would much rather see them come to terms with their marriage being over and figure out how they can be good parents while leading mostly separate lives.  I hate the trope of “separated couple ends up reuniting” that is all too common in disaster flicks, and I would hate it here as well. 

Again I wasn’t saying they should get back together BECAUSE  have really hot sex together (and his comment about them being really loud as teens make it seem like it was an ongoing thing versus “one or two sessions of good sex”)-  rather that was a clue that I think they might get back together.  If they had terrible sex for example, I would think it much less likely.   ?   Additional clues to me-   Darlene tearing up when David mentioning Blue as his soulmate, her brining it back up at the end and both parties looking very sad, the fact that Blue honestly doesn’t seem to be his soulmate at all??? ...again they can go any way they want in this.  I feel like clues are pointing to a reunion but we shall see.  

Adding bc another thing occurred to me about this episode-  it didn’t seem like Darlene wanted the divorce, but rather she is doing it so David can move on and be happy.   And of course hopefully she can move on and be happy.  Now neither of them seemed happy in the end at all.  But it’s just so incredibly loving in such an ironic way.  That is giving me pause- so I can see them separating for good, or coming back together and starting anew.   Either way this was such a hilarious and beautiful episode on many levels.  

Edited by BeachDays
  • Love 5

I don’t really like Blue being written to be hated by the audience. It makes sense though, if they are going to bring Darlene and David back together. If they do that, I hope they are well written, and it’s not about David being walked all over again. 

I hope we see Geena do more than criticize other people’s beliefs.

Edited by Meushell
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, Meushell said:

I don’t really like Blue being written to be hated by the audience. It makes sense though, if they are going to bring Darlene and David back together. If they do that, I hope they are well written, and it’s not about David being walked all over again. 

I agree, if they get back together I want a different dynamic.  Their dynamic in this one was terrific.   

Blue was quite interesting.   I noticed very parallel concerns regarding the kids from Darlene and David.  First at the conference while Blue was waxing poetic, the other two were very concerned about Mark’s well being.   And we see it again with Harris.   Now obviously Blue isn’t their parent (although she might have met Mark as many times as David has ?), but it was such an interesting juxtaposition.  It was like that game “which one doesn’t belong”.   

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Dee said:

The entire Conner family has spent years ridiculing others. Geena fits right in.

That’s exactly what I saw. The Conners are a snarky family and Geena is just as snarky as the others. The only difference is that we’ve seen the family for decades while we’ve only seen about five minutes total of Geena in all of her episodes combined. 

I wonder if we’ll get the kids’ opinion on the divorce as the storyline progresses.  I’m surprised they accepted Blue so quickly since David hasn’t been a big part of their lives, especially Mark. I want them to ask David “why Blue and not our mother”. Or maybe have them see how much their parents miss each other and conspire with Jackie or Becky to reunite them. Or just a small scene with the four of them without Blue where they’re acting like a family and they realize what they’re missing. 

• Love 5

I finally watched this today. Pretty good. The dialogue is razor-sharp, great one-liners. Sometimes you can tell a little too clearly that you're hearing zingers rather than real people talking, but that feels like a small complaint to make. 

The Darlene and Becky stories felt like they were edited in from two separate episodes.

Becky's storyline is clearly going to be ongoing. The scenes with Dan catching her drinking felt much more like the old Roseanne. That doesn't mean it was better, just that it reminded me more of the old show's tone and style. John Goodman didn't seem as frail in this episode, and he nailed many of his very funny lines (my favorite was the one when DJ told him that it's never too late to get healthier, and he said, yes, it is too late). His scene with David at the end was priceless - it's still impressive to me how quickly Johnny Galecki gets back into the character all these years later. 

I'm more invested in the David and Darlene dramas (which had some beautifully written dramatic interludes here) than Darlene with her kids, but the scenes with Darlene and Harris really really work. Their scene with Jackie was probably my favorite in the episode - her line about the Conner women having such wit that leaves them bitter and alone was perfectly delivered. So was her line about the wonders of living with Bev. 

They still seem to not really know what to do with DJ, or his wife (who has more interaction with Darlene then her husband - of course Darlene is the central character), but the Mamma Mia bit was funny. Michael Fishman still works best as the kid brother Darlene and Becky needle. 

I'm disappointed, if not surprised, about the ratings. I guess whatever happens happens. I'll keep enjoying the show for now. 

• Love 12
On 10/24/2018 at 11:00 PM, SmithW6079 said:

It makes me sad that Becky ended up a loser and a drunk. Wasn't she the Conner with the most potential? What happened -- was it marrying Mark that took her down the wrong road?

Becky always seemed to be one of those people who was always more "potential" than results, but beyond that, I assume Mark's death left horrible scars for her as well as for David. It's never really dwelled on, we just see the aftermath, which just makes it all the sadder, somehow.

• Love 12
On 10/25/2018 at 11:47 AM, Janie430 said:

I don't think Darlene is being a hypocrite.  Both she and Becky had been in long-term relationships when they had sex for the first time.  Harris didn't seem to know the boy that well, and Darlene had never met him.  I think she can be concerned about her daughter having sex with a boy she's never met.

This is a good point. Darlene wanted Harris to talk to her when she was ready and she also didn't want to be overbearing either. She laid a good foundation for a healthy dialogue with her daughter and she's disappointed with the way it turned out - with someone random and with Harris going to Blue. That whole scene was well done. I'm glad Harris had the sense to ask her mom to take her to the pharmacy. 

• Love 15
On 10/26/2018 at 1:43 PM, BeachDays said:

Fictional storylines aren’t going to follow real storylines exactly-   Roseanne is great bc it’s realistic but it’s still a tv show and they want to keep it interesting.   So basically they can write whatever story they want to write, and they can change that story whenever they want to do so.   From my POV, there are more lingering feelings between David and Darlene than I would expect from a couple who has been separated, from what it sounds like, possibly before Mark was even born.  So it’s not so much analyzing what would happen in real life but predicting what will happen on this fictional show.   I don’t like the storyline they gave David last season because it was the complete antithesis to what I saw the character as, but because he had an abusive childhood and his brother died, and he and Darlene started out so young and immature together, I can come up with a worse-case scenario situation that makes sense in my head.   I DO think they need a restart as adults-  and looks like they might get it now.  But again, depends on where they want to go with the storyline, and if the show will continue.   I am loving how much depth we are seeing in their interactions though, and I’m still doing backflips that one of my favorite shows of childhood is back and we can see those characters now at different points of their lives.  

Darlene told mark's teacher they had been separated for a year. It made sense to me for David to have been doing volunteer work abroad for a year. Did I get this wrong? 

I agree that I'm loving these two together and it would be great to explore their relationship as adults even if they get divorced. Which would make me sad but I want David on the show no matter what, as long as the writing is good. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, love2lovebadtv said:

Darlene told mark's teacher they had been separated for a year. It made sense to me for David to have been doing volunteer work abroad for a year. Did I get this wrong? 

She said they have been “separated for years” and so David has never been to a PT conference.    Last spring in an interview the producer said they didn’t have David and Mark in a scene together when he shows up bc Mark wouldn’t have even remembered David.   It’s weird thinking David would have abandoned his family that way but it seems like that’s the backstory.   Maybe he was such a mess he thought they were better off without him. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, BeachDays said:

She said they have been “separated for years” and so David has never been to a PT conference.    Last spring in an interview the producer said they didn’t have David and Mark in a scene together when he shows up bc Mark wouldn’t have even remembered David.   It’s weird thinking David would have abandoned his family that way but it seems like that’s the backstory.   Maybe he was such a mess he thought they were better off without him. 

Omg thank you. Is there a way can they clean that up? I hate that they did that to David's character. Surely there were other explanations the writers could have used. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, love2lovebadtv said:

Omg thank you. Is there a way can they clean that up? I hate that they did that to David's character. Surely there were other explanations the writers could have used. 

I think they can certainly address it and maybe pad it out a bit more (possibly with emphasis on his abused childhood before he moved in with the Conners) -  but will they? I’m not sure.   But the surprising thing is he now has a steady job in Lanford and seems determined to “make up for lost time” and the kids seem to like him and Darlene still loves him (whether or not they get together again or permanently separated) so it might just be one of those things that isn’t exactly realistic but we just gotta go with it.   I personally would love if they addressed it some more but right now they seem to play it off more for laughs -  like David taking a second before he realized “hi Dad” was for him, or Dan saying if David disappeared everyone would just think he ran off again.   

• Love 2

Actually, the way David handled Mark's death seems realistic enough to me.  We all handle pain and grief in our own ways. And David didn't have much emotional resilience thanks to his childhood trauma.  

• Love 12

This was a great episode.  I wonder why they are showing them out of order?

I loved everything, but Jackie talking about how Bev tells her that she was attractive, but neither of her daughters were, made me laugh out loud.  She is my fave!

I hope they do another season....this show brings me strange comfort.  I love it.  

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Wow, is that really a full time gig?

Might be if he includes the chalk outlines on the sidewalk as Darlene did to the Diner! LOL! Goodtimes! 

I thought it was pretty funny they used Trader Jo's after 'ELTON' from The Cosby Show was shamed for working there. 

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, BeachDays said:

I personally would love if they addressed it some more but right now they seem to play it off more for laughs -  like David taking a second before he realized “hi Dad” was for him, or Dan saying if David disappeared everyone would just think he ran off again.

That's a great point, the sitcomic choice to make David's disappearance a reset from rock-bottom. (Cheers: Sam and Diane break up; Sam throws away his sobriety and Diane loses her mind.) After a time jump to show the character recovering, the breakdown is played for laughs, as you said. Poked and teased to a droll distance to help the audience make peace with it, as the hero climbs up the spout again.

• Love 6