Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Aia i Hiʻikua; i Hiʻialo (Is Borne on the Back; Is Borne in the Arms)

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Adam returns to Oahu with some devastating news about his marriage.

I guess that Adam will be around the rest of the season, unless they can come up with another reason for him to be gone (I assume the usual reason is he's spending time with Kono).

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

I guess that Adam will be around the rest of the season, unless they can come up with another reason for him to be gone (I assume the usual reason is he's spending time with Kono).

My guess is they pulled the plug on the marriage—which makes sense since Grace P’s not coming back & they seem to wanna keep Ian Anthony Dale around (which is fine with me, contrived though the plot line may have to be to do that).

And yeah, spending time with Kono, wherever she’s supposed to be looking for the human traffickers, is usually said to be why he’s not around (I guess, whatever happened between CBS & Grace [& Daniel], somebody still wants the viewers to believe Kono [& Chin] is still ʻohana, though not Five-0 anymore, so they keep mentioning Adam’s going to see her when he’s supposed to be going somewhere away from Honolulu—but, by the same token, they can’t seem to be bothered to come up with an excuse, all the time, for where Danny’s supposed to be during the 1 in every 5 episodes Scott gets his agreed upon absence [I’ve read something about Danny taking Gracie to look at colleges sometime this season—I can’t believe time’s passed this fast—but I don’t know if that’s an onscreen plot or if it’s a reason for Danny not being in an episode sometime this season]).

The only reason Ian (Adam) should be offscreen once he’s back on this season is if the CBS summer series he’s doing, Salvation, also created by Peter Lenkov, gets renewed for another season (the beginning & ending of their filming schedule coincides with the ending & beginning of H50’s filming schedule). If Adam & Kono are divorcing, I don’t know how they’ll explain where he is when Ian has to do show #2.

On 10/19/2018 at 5:40 PM, Passepartout said:

But year Steve getting arrested. Looked at the guest cast list. And it does not say if it is CIA, FBI that arrest him. Knew military brass gave him the riot's act in not stepping on anybody's toes. Or doing rogue operations.

NCIS, considering everything they have in Los Angeles, Washington and New Orleans, not to mention the one off Red mobile trailer that don't have their own areas on Hawaii, with Pearl Harbor, oh well. I can remember other fed's laughing off the Hawaii immunity of means clause before, she should have lmade Danny happy and laugh off a useless piece of paper. It does seem as if  Keiko Mahoe is still governor as they showed the name. I wonder if Rosalind Chao will make another appearance.

My reaction to the offer for Adam to join Five-0 was about the same as his ... Whaaat, really? without being a cop? without any law enforcement history at all? just because he's a friend and has "seen what they're about"? Yeah sure, says Danny - the badge the gun, everything. It was as though the PTB were actually kind of laughing at the idea too. Oh, and the whole "if you didn't put the gun there and tip off the cops, then who the hell did?" question...my answer - who the hell cares. I like the actor just fine but this is so stupid and the story lines just get thinner as the team gets (unnecessarily) bigger. 

The addition of the NCIS agent into the mix (if she's going to feature again) is really going to annoy those who hate the Danny/Steve bickering because, guess what, the writers have introduced another irritant into the verbal jousting matches. Also, it was rather odd that she and Steve were quite so lighthearted and flirty at the end there - like, 'admit it you had a good time' when one of her agents and his good friend were killed.

It was however nice to see Eddie Cahill - I've missed him on my screen. And, as ever, I enjoyed Scott Caan.

5 hours ago, Raja said:

NCIS, considering everything they have in Los Angeles, Washington and New Orleans, not to mention the one off Red mobile trailer that don't have their own areas on Hawaii, with Pearl Harbor, oh well. I can remember other fed's laughing off the Hawaii immunity of means clause before, she should have lmade Danny happy and laugh off a useless piece of paper. It does seem as if  Keiko Mahoe is still governor as they showed the name. I wonder if Rosalind Chao will make another appearance.

Regarding the bolded: The phrase is actually “immunity and means”.

• Love 1

Yeah if it was a regular N.C.I.S. team and that Steve and they would get along. And in the arrest with Steve, Danny laughed at Steve's expense. And that all that he has put Danny through. Danny got to laugh. But yeah Steve needs to be taken down a notch or too. Love Danny in this. Steve's face when he did that was nasty but funny.

Duke being back. And really love him more and more. And that glad Steve did not give up on him. And higher ups seem to have their heads up their butts. And even Duke's close friends knew he had no choice but to rescue a loved one. Duke back in uniform another highlight.

Like Emma as she grew on me. But really thought at first she was being corrupt but then she really grew on me. Loved it paying Steve for the drink. And really Steve not paying up and having others paid for it for him. He may be the boss. But being a control freak he is, aka Navy Seal, and also that of being a controlling as*.

Was this Steve's friend someone we've met before or did they just make him up for this?

Yeah "too many rules" in Five-0.

I would laugh if Adam got offed next week after like 2 days on Five-0. Give me a break. The one thing they asked him to do got someone killed and lost $20 million dollars. 

I was hoping Steve being "arrested" had actual consequences, but I wasn't surprised he was let go after like 30 seconds. 

Hey, how about some courtesy and get out of the way for once? 

Edited by ganesh
10 hours ago, Raja said:

NCIS, considering everything they have in Los Angeles, Washington and New Orleans, not to mention the one off Red mobile trailer that don't have their own areas on Hawaii, with Pearl Harbor, oh well. I can remember other fed's laughing off the Hawaii immunity of means clause before, she should have lmade Danny happy and laugh off a useless piece of paper.

I had to carry my disbelief in a wheelbarrow for this one.  The Navy doesn't have any hangers in Hawaii.  Anyone can put on an NTSB jacket and walk into an NCIS crime scene.  Just too silly.

I thought they said they didn't actually have any hangars, so the plane had to be at such and such place. 

I did like how the NCIS lady shushhed Steve on the phone. 

Edited by ganesh

I'm giving this episode's prop person an F for Adam's filthy shirt (I know he's sad, but I'd rather not think of him vomiting on himself and not changing, which is how that looked), but mostly for the fake baby that abusive dad was carrying from the SUV to the private plane. It looked like they just wrapped up a book in a blanket and then stuck a ball or grapefruit on top for the head. The baby's body was maybe 3 inches thick and perfectly rectangular with sharp corners. Unrelated: whoever is cutting Scott Caan's hair should be punished.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, fishcakes said:

whoever is cutting Scott Caan's hair should be punished.

Perhaps an eye exam because I don't think he/she saw what they did.  Just wondering if he paid for it, or was it done by the makeup dept.  It really was hideous.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, preeya said:
18 hours ago, fishcakes said:

whoever is cutting Scott Caan's hair should be punished.

Perhaps an eye exam because I don't think he/she saw what they did.  Just wondering if he paid for it, or was it done by the makeup dept.  It really was hideous.

Oh, he's perfectly aware.  This is his usual summer hair cut.  This is just the first season they've allowed him to wear it onscreen.  Same with Alex.  He generally sports shorter hair and a full on beard during the summer hiatus. 

20 hours ago, ganesh said:

Was this Steve's friend someone we've met before or did they just make him up for this?

I would laugh if Adam got offed next week after like 2 days on Five-0.

Yeah, they just made him up for this episode.  I guess it's just as well since he died within the first few minutes of the show.  As for Adam, I would laugh too, however I doubt that will happen.  I do expect him to be abducted and held captive or a target for one of Five-0's numerous enemies.  I will say this.  He has obviously hit rock bottom if he's taken a job with them.  They are always being shot at and almost killed, of course with Kono divorcing him and his siblings dead, he won't have to worry about them being in danger like all the other team's family members.  On the plus side maybe him being part of the team will mean less Adam on his own side story this season.  It would have been better though had they gone back to him being the legitimate businessman he originally started off with and having him running the business end of that money pit restaurant for Steve and Danny.

18 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I'm giving this episode's prop person an F for Adam's filthy shirt (I know he's sad, but I'd rather not think of him vomiting on himself and not changing, which is how that looked),

Yeah it was extremely disgusting.  Who knew Adam could look so hideous. 

As ridiculous as the show is, I can't buy Adam as anything useful to Five-0. I hope every plot with him is getting hit on the head and taken out of the action like in Big Trouble in Little China. 

• Love 1
On 11/3/2018 at 3:53 PM, ganesh said:

I thought they said they didn't actually have any hangars, so the plane had to be at such and such place. 

And it's silly that the Naval Criminal Investigative Service doesn't have any hangers available, such as any any Navy station on a navy-heavy island.

(edited)
On 11/4/2018 at 12:20 PM, Just my 2 cents said:

Oh, he's perfectly aware.  This is his usual summer hair cut.  This is just the first season they've allowed him to wear it onscreen.  Same with Alex.  He generally sports shorter hair and a full on beard during the summer hiatus. 

I thought maybe Scott (& maybe Alex) was starting to wear it that way onscreen to help cover up the at least somewhat receding hairline he’s had since the show started—though Alex didn’t really (sort of like Matt Lauer, years before NBC fired him, shaved his head to a buzz cut because of apparently increasingly obvious hair loss). If Scott has a scene where his hair’s wet in the front, you can tell his hairline is receding there. Maybe it’s starting to recede in other areas of his head now.

Could Scott also have changed his hairstyle because of another project he was shooting during the hiatus, until right before H50 shooting resumed for the start of S9? Kind of like DDK’s hair was a little wonky looking in the early episodes of whatever H50 season came after he did The King and I on Broadway during the summer hiatus (DDK shortened/partially buzzed his hair, as I remember, into/close to an authentic hairstyle traditionally worn by Siamese Kings during the time period in which the musical was set).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.

All right, so Tani can think to get DNA from the crucifix on the Halloween episode to help identify the victims of the serial killer, but she cannot think to get DNA from the handgun that she found in Adam' spare battery drawer? She seemed flabbergasted that Adam's reply was "I have never seen the gun and don't know how it got there". Now, just my hunch, but I think her police Captain teacher who she punched will turn out to be involved in the murder, and he called in the tip. The actor they cast for the part just looks shifty, that is the sole basis for my hunch. When they don't cast someone that you would want babysitting your kids or petsitting for you, there is usually a reason. I also notice they didn't have Adam slugging down Kona Brewing Company Longboards (Steve's preferred beverage) to drown in his sorrows. I guess they want to keep that brand above board. BTW, I was drinking that before 5-0 started, it is good stuff.

Is it just normal that when going to someone's house, even though they may have known criminal connections, you show up with assault rifles and just start mowing people down? Doesn't anyone use the phone anymore? I also noted that they made a point to have everyone in the "visiting party" take out one of the henchmen. Nothing like shooting people to help build teamwork.

I also found it hard to believe the aircraft carrier allowed the plane to land, all things considered. Especially when the pilot didn't identify himself to them. But, at least they didn't throw open the door and start shooting, good thing 5-0 wasn't in charge of the carrier.

So, you want an ex-Yakuza family member who stole 20 million dollars, had his CI killed, was jailed for 2 murders, and who is emotionally unstable to be part of the team where they have assault rifles and immunity? I like IAD and glad he will be there, I just hope the writers give him some good material for a change and allow him to not be the constant floormop.

I didn't care much for the NCIS agent lady, which means she'll probably be back.

• Love 1

I don’t understand why Grover gave Tani credit for the DNA match on the crucifix/cross.  I would think it would be SOP for the lab to test all clothing/jewelry/accessories that a murder victim had with them in every case.  It isn’t like DNA is a new thing that the guys at the lab would have to be reminded to check. 

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:38 PM, BW Manilowe said:

thought maybe Scott (& maybe Alex) was starting to wear it that way onscreen to help cover up the at least somewhat receding hairline he’s had since the show started—though Alex didn’t really (sort of like Matt Lauer, years before NBC fired him, shaved his head to a buzz cut because of apparently increasingly obvious hair loss). If Scott has a scene where his hair’s wet in the front, you can tell his hairline is receding there. Maybe it’s starting to recede in other areas of his head now.

Could Scott also have changed his hairstyle because of another project he was shooting during the hiatus, until right before H50 shooting resumed for the start of S9? Kind of like DDK’s hair was a little wonky looking in the early episodes of whatever H50 season came after he did The King and I on Broadway during the summer hiatus (DDK shortened/partially buzzed his hair, as I remember, into/close to an authentic hairstyle traditionally worn by Siamese Kings during the time period in which the musical was set).

I'm sure that's part of it.  It's pretty normal for men that have thin or thinning hair.  I've recently started to follow twitter and tumblr the past couple of years.  Surprisingly, though many people complain about him or don't like him, Scott Caan has a lot of diehard followers.  I think it was either last summer or the summer before when some pics finally came out that his friend posted.  Some of his followers remarked, that his standard hiatus look was back..  Neither Alex or Scott do social media, but there's usually someone that spots them somewhere and post a pic.  In all honesty Scott sometimes has the street thug look during his off season. 

I actually liked Scott’s hair.  It makes him appear more youthful, and the dye job is 1000x  better than it has been.

I’m calling BS on Tani getting that gun back from her training officer.  It was identified as a murder weapon by ballistics.  It has to go into evidence!  He was probably the one to call in the tip.  But did Tani ask him to do so?  She told Junior that she had “taken care of it”, when he reminded her that she was a cop and needed to do the right thing.

I liked that the NCIS agent didn’t back down and followed through on her threats, but I hope they’re not settling her up as a love interest for Steve.  I kinda like him alone.

12 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I actually liked Scott’s hair.  It makes him appear more youthful, and the dye job is 1000x  better than it has been.

I’m calling BS on Tani getting that gun back from her training officer.  It was identified as a murder weapon by ballistics.  It has to go into evidence!  He was probably the one to call in the tip.  But did Tani ask him to do so?  She told Junior that she had “taken care of it”, when he reminded her that she was a cop and needed to do the right thing.

5-0 Immunity and means, there is no "have to" when they are involved.  Now by Law & Order rules Adam is already free because of police misconduct but 5-0 works for the Governor and God.

Something struck me this morning about this episode.  Steve took being arrested so very, very calmly, in a sort of "OK.  This happened.  We will deal with it."  He didn't get angry, he didn't rail at it, he instantly and calmly started working on what's next after he's released.  He had complete faith that Danny, despite his utter delight at Steve being arrested, would fix it and they'd go on to work on the case.  And Danny did not hesitate either.  Steve was also very calm when he was confronted by all his friends with that intervention they held for him.  Anyone else would get instantly defensive and agitated, but Steve just listened to them all, gave them his attention then was all "OK."

I find it an interesting character trait they've written for Steve--supposedly a hot-headed, "blow it up with a grenade" former SEAL.  Then I realized that is probably a real character trait for real SEALs--they must remain calm when everything else around them is blowing, including all their pre-laid plans.  They must be accepting of the "now", and only look to "the next" as something to change. 

Steve seems to only get agitated with family, where's he's got enough baggage to fill the cargo hold of the Titanic.  He gets exasperated and annoyed with Danny, but that's nearly the same thing as family--but that seems to spring from amusement rather than deep seated familial baggage.

• Love 1
On 11/3/2018 at 7:46 PM, Shady Lady said:

Who was the blond father of the baby?  So familiar looked like the guy from Revenge. Was it him?  

It was!  I spent the whole episode trying to place him and finally had to go to IMDB.

On 11/6/2018 at 6:45 PM, GustheCat said:

I didn't care much for the NCIS agent lady, which means she'll probably be back.

Oh, I bet you a bright shiny button she and Steve are going to bang at some point.  [Note:  I'm several episodes behind at this point, so no spoilers, please :) ]