Type keyword(s) to search

Get A Room With Carson And Thom - General Discussion

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, breezy424 said:

I just watched episode 2 and the project manager or whatever her title is looked so darn familiar to me.  She was the one who was the on sight person who discussed the grout on the subway tile stain.  I know her from somewhere but I can't remember where.  Is there anyone who can help me out?

ETA her name was Leslie.

Yes...me too! I can picture her and hear from another show but can't recall show! Its going to drive me crazy....so i hope someone can help!

• Love 2

I did not mind the wallpaper--it made the couch make sense, but if I spent $50K on a room I would not want a home-made flooring table top.   And I find that style of dining chair to be uncomfortable.

Thom likes a lot more "stuff" than is my taste.  I usually like the basic choices he makes in terms of colors and materials but then I always get a little overwhelmed with the accessories.

The color scheme --with the pinks and purples felt kind of 80's (I had a mauve room back then) but maybe now that is considered retro?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, car54 said:

The color scheme --with the pinks and purples felt kind of 80's (I had a mauve room back then) but maybe now that is considered retro?

That was my thought too--not just the color scheme but when you add the wallpaper to it---retro is a kind way of putting it.  To me, it screamed soon-to-be-dated decor.  I have no doubt it looks lovely in person, probably better than it does on TV.  At the same time, I can see the cycle of "oh it might be too much/wait no it's perfect/ugh I'm sick of this" happening much quicker than it normally would.

And I felt most of the episode was more awkward than usual.   I wish they didn't put so much focus on the fact that the woman wouldn't hug Thom and Carson for religious reasons with the weird virtual hugs.  And then I don't think the husband was really into the hugging either considering he asked for a fist bump but then next we saw all the awkward hugs. And the sexual quips felt a little more forced than usual.

I did like what they did with the gym but I wasn't too thrilled that so much of this episode was "donation."  The laborer donated his labor, which I imagine is not cheap.  And Carson and Thom donated some of the gym budget.  I don't mind the generosity but both in the same ep was mostly meh to me. 

• Love 6

I enjoyed the episode but the Teaneck rooms just wasn't my taste.  I can appreciate a room that isn't 'my' taste but this one wasn't making it. 

With that said, I still enjoy Carson and Thom's bantering.  And I didn't mind the virtual hugs.  I understand religious tradition but that one I have a hard time with.  It's just so sexist.  Ok.  I'll go over to the other side of the pool.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, rhys said:

I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood but they touched so that non touching was new to me. I guess my neighbors were reformed??? Sara said they were something else I think but she wasn't covering her hair so what do I know.

I thought the whole no-touching thing was ridiculous (for the show), especially since there was no real explanation for those of us who are unfamiliar with their practice.

It was okay to hug the husband 37 times, but not okay to hug the wife.

And if it had something to do with lust from a male friend, both Carson & Thom are gay...and lusting for the wife would never cross their mind.  Very awkward for the guys.

• Love 2

Big, huge, screaming "Nooooooo!" to a tabletop made from flooring. W. T. H? Get a solid large piece of actual tree wood table from a local artisan,  and make it,  not the Oscar Wilde couch,  the centerpiece. 

And the husband's taste in light fixtures was....questionable. 

The Home Gym: It turned out fantastic! But then,  it was a gift from the show, so of course it would.  

I love Carson,  y'all know,  but not every comment by someone with "top," "bottom," "kneel," etc. needs a sexual riposte.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 8
On 11/2/2018 at 12:48 PM, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Love this show, 130K for a budget ? Yikes, that is more than I paid for my cottage.. Was not a fan of the gold wallpaper, but in the end it seem to all come together. Tonight we have this show, Sweet Home and I think Buying it Blind. I love these types of shows, however by Saturday morning I am jonesing for a run to Homegoods 

Or At Home, or Ross, or Marshall's, or Pier I, or World Market, etc.... 

I flove Home Goods, though, the best.  They have such amazing stuff .  I usually walk through these stores about once a month just for ideas and to see what's new.  90% of the time I buy something I don't need, but it's sooooo pretty.  

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Or At Home, or Ross, or Marshall's, or Pier I, or World Market, etc.... 

I flove Home Goods, though, the best.  They have such amazing stuff .  I usually walk through these stores about once a month just for ideas and to see what's new.  90% of the time I buy something I don't need, but it's sooooo pretty.  

And I flove Home Goods’ clearance aisles. I make a beeline to those aisles when I hit the door. I have found some great things at reduced prices. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, MsTree said:

It was okay to hug the husband 37 times, but not okay to hug the wife.

I noticed that Carson hugged her when he first entered the home, but I suppose that happened quickly so she didn't say anything until the next attempt from Thom.

7 hours ago, MsTree said:

And if it had something to do with lust from a male friend, both Carson & Thom are gay...and lusting for the wife would never cross their mind. 

Carson made a comment that said as much.  Something like 'you don't have to worry about us.' 

43 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

And the husband's taste in light fixtures was....questionable. 

So true. I think he said a few times that he had no strong opinion on these things.  That would drive me nuts.  I do want Mr. Chat's opinion on the bigger decorating choices (furniture, etc.) so as to incorporate his well-meaning but often times misguided sense of décor so that he doesn't feel left out and the room doesn't look hideous.   ;)

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

to incorporate his well-meaning but often times misguided sense of décor so that he doesn't feel left out

It's really hard with some husbands.  Mine has his taste stuck in the '70s.  I mostly don't pay attention, because as long as he has his giant TV, he's happy.  

10 hours ago, breezy424 said:

I enjoyed the episode but the Teaneck rooms just wasn't my taste.  I can appreciate a room that isn't 'my' taste but this one wasn't making it. 

I could live with the living room, but that dining room - the gold side table was over $3K ???  I wonder if Thom is going to use wallpaper in all of his rooms.  I actually like wallpaper, but so far haven't been keen on his choices.

• Love 3

A few random comments.

I love how Thom and Carson criticize each others driving but can still laugh about it.

The couple from Teaneck was probably Orthodox and the wife was in all likelihood wearing a wig. I used to work in a health clinic that had a special program for Orthdox Jews, so I speak from experience. Seems silly to hide your own hair out of modesty, then cover your head with a wig made from someone else's hair. But then I'm not a fan of all the man-made rules that tend to come with organized religions.

That custom table made from flooring was listed as costing $8,000! (And the chairs cost an additional $3,100.)

Spraying that chandelier with white spray paint seemed like a questionable choice to me. But I have to admit the final product looked appropriate for the overall redesign.

Thom sure loves to place fake plants on boxy white plant stands.

Maybe because I fall into this age group and gender category, I must take umbrage at Carson's justification for the 80's style wallpaper: "When you've got this all kind of old ladyish trim, you've got to do something really cool for your walls." So now trim is dated and loud wallpaper is back? And why is anything that's considered dated referred to as being "old-lady" or "grandma"? My grandmother had fantastic, timeless taste.

For someone who makes "luxury hair accessories", the wife from Teaneck was wearing some really crappy pieces. That first one looked like two weirdly giant crisscrossed bobby pins.

But for all my nitpicking I'm really enjoying this show. Even if I wouldn't want the end result for myself, I appreciate witnessing the creative process. And I love the playful chemistry between Thom and Carson.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Mannahatta said:

Spraying that chandelier with white spray paint seemed like a questionable choice to me. But I have to admit the final product looked appropriate for the overall redesign.

That's one of those things that probably looks good from a distance, but not so good up close.  I see that kind of stuff in antique stores.  People try to spray paint over something without doing any of the prep work.  The up close results are sometimes pretty bad.  

• Love 5

It's odd that all the "big" rooms so far have started out almost empty. If that continues, I'm going to assume the show makes the homeowners do it.

The sales guy at the gym equipment store must have known the show would be filming  there, but did he know it would be Carson? Heh. He was a good sport.

Which reminds me, since Carson is a former world champion equestrian, I wonder how serious he is about never working out? Maybe he exaggerates for the sake of comedy.

I watch a lot of house flipping shows which always stage for mass appeal so am glad to see more personalized design. Even it's not my taste, at least it's not cookie cutter. It's fun seeing how Thom interprets the homeowners' requirements/style.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, 2727 said:

It's fun seeing how Thom interprets the homeowners' requirements/style.

It sure is.  My idea of traditional sure doesn’t match up with designers’ ideas!  Not just this show - most design/makeover shows.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, 2727 said:

It's fun seeing how Thom interprets the homeowners' requirements/style.

As much as I enjoy seeing Thom and other designers do their thing, I could never trust anybody to redo my home without my input every step of the way.  I wouldn't be overbearing, but I wouldn't hesitate to say what I like and don't like with their suggestions.  I wouldn't mind having a designer who specializes in helping you decorate with what you already have, like grouping pictures, etc. together and other helpful suggestions.  FWIW,  I think we just need to go with what makes each of us comfortable in our own homes and not necessarily worry if it's designer-worthy or not, but it's fun to watch these shows and to snark on what we do and don't like!  

• Love 11

Somehow the pictures, above the couch, at the Teaneck house reminded me of pink  poop emojis.

I wasn't digging the rest of the decor either.  Don't know why they couldn't find a dining table. My aunt had a table that long and it wasn't made out of flooring either.  Of course, she didn't use lawn chairs either for seating.

• Love 2

The no-touching practice is practiced by some Modern Orthodox people, not others. My cousin married an observant guy who didn’t follow it, his brother did. I think this couple did their best dealing with the guys’ proclivity for hugs and touching—noticed that Carson started to take her hand for the dining room reveal, then a quick cut to her holding her husband’s hand. 

And speaking of dining room reveals—love you, Thom, not feeling the room! I’m a no on the chairs. If the table was 8k, what would a giant slab of wood have cost?! The lights and the wallpaper were an unfortunate pairing, but to be fair, the lights weren’t the first choice! I can only imagine the room suited the wife’s taste, which she said she had strong opinions on, but I don’t recall her articulating it past quirky. Which describes those lights for sure.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, buttersister said:

The no-touching practice is practiced by some Modern Orthodox people, not others. My cousin married an observant guy who didn’t follow it, his brother did. I think this couple did their best dealing with the guys’ proclivity for hugs and touching—noticed that Carson started to take her hand for the dining room reveal, then a quick cut to her holding her husband’s hand. 

I can appreciate the practice, but these folks should have known what they were getting into before applying for the show.

And even if they didn't know (which I find hard to believe), it's so obvious that Thom & Carson are harmless and meant no disrespect.

• Love 6

I love this show so much!   Thom and Carson are just so damn charming.   Their empathy and kindness brings a tear to my cold, empty heart every episode.  

They are both funny, self-deprecating and talented.   I love the chyrons that give definitions for various things.   So funny. 

Edited by SuzWhat
  • Love 10

A few years ago Oprah had done a show where she visited with a family who was Orthodox and explored some of their customs.  It was interesting to me, because it's a branch? (not sure if that's quite the right word), that I wasn't familiar with.  In that case, the wife kind of stepped forward to greet Oprah and before she could move on to the husband, the wife explained the no touching policy and said she would shake for the husband also.  It was just a quick, deft way to handle it, and I was kind of surprised that they didn't do something similar here.  When the guys first came in, if you watch, the wife sort of holds her hands back when Thom greets her so he hesitates and then moves on to the husband, Carson hugs her though, and she sort of seemed surprised but went along with it.  

• Love 4
On 11/12/2018 at 12:50 AM, MsTree said:

it's so obvious that Thom & Carson are harmless and meant no disrespect.

Right, which is very much in keeping with how I saw it being handled: A custom explained and then followed. What it did tell me was that Thom and Carson aren’t meeting any of their clients ahead of time.

• Love 3

Another fun episode tonight.  However, I hated that fish wallpaper.  Neither client was my taste and I gasped when Carson was painting the antique chairs white.  Nope.  You don't do that with real antiques and those chairs didn't look cheap.  Sorry Carson, you don't paint really good furniture white.  That really depreciates their value.

• Love 4

The chairs ... just unscrew the seats before painting. Thom had to have been pranking Carson, right? Also, sand first and use spray paint.

The dentist's office was a huge improvement, but really -- white lattice nailed to the walls? The drapes were not only an ugly dun color but hung crookedly.

Sorry, Thom. Laurie was right about the koi wallpaper being too much. I wasn't in love with the blue, either. What happened to the original white one he suggested that looked like dimensional ocean waves?

The amount of money Thom spends on individual pieces makes me gasp in horror every week.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 10

First off, isn’t removing the seat cushion before painting a chair Design 101? Secondly, No sanding? Hand painting? It sounds like something I would do but I’m poor. LOL!!!! Thirdly, the Las Vegas “Lounge” room wasn’t horrible. It’s not my taste but I did like their fish tank. Also, the wife face had too many fillers. Yikes! Fourthly (what comes after thirdly?) the dentist in Brooklyn seemed nice. The office still looked tacky after the makeover. I did have one quibble with the dentist. If my dentist had teeth like hers I would be going to a different dentist. Just sayin.......

• Love 8
9 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I did have one quibble with the dentist. If my dentist had teeth like hers I would be going to a different dentist. Just sayin.......

I have never seen a dentist with teeth like that. It was kind of shocking.

At the house in Harrison, Carson throwing himself on the driveway begging the helicopter to come save them from the stress was hilarious! 

Thom saying that when he doesn't like something he sees in a clients house he gets quiet while Carson has no problem being vocal and telling the client that it's awful just cracks me up! It shows you why they work so well together.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Another fun episode tonight.  However, I hated that fish wallpaper.  Neither client was my taste and I gasped when Carson was painting the antique chairs white.  Nope.  You don't do that with real antiques and those chairs didn't look cheap.  Sorry Carson, you don't paint really good furniture white.  That really depreciates their value.

I too felt sad for those poor chairs. But the fact is that most antiques have been steadily losing their value over the past decade or two. Beautiful wood pieces are now disparagingly referred to as "brown furniture" because TPTB tell us that the goal now is to make your home look like a high-end hotel. So there's a surplus of gorgeous, well-made pieces that don't fit into the new "life-style" design trends. Personally, I can't see painting over high quality wood. But design trends are inevitable as long as people want  their homes to look "fresh" and "different".

I wonder if Carson ever wishes he could re-style and re-dress the home owners the way he used to on Queer Eye? Or better yet, have Kyan Douglas show up. That wife's face reminded me of the Situation from Jersey Shore. Nothing the right make-up couldn't fix.....I'll show myself out now. ;-)

• Love 8

I love Carson and Thom, but have been underwhelmed by the designs (except the studio apartment they did for the single man), but I thought the lounge with the fish tank bar turned out great. The blue wallpaper with the white wainscot made the white bar with fish tank make sense instead of sticking out like a sore thumb. The hanging shelves and pendant lights also made the bar look like it fit in. I thought Thom perfectly achieved the LV lounge the homeowners wanted.

I thought the bedroom was OK, but Carson hand painting the chairs was ridiculous (especially with a $50K budjet for the room) and obviously just a made for TV moment. They sent the headboard out to be painted white (sanded and sprayed I'm sure), they should have done the same with the chairs.

I thought the dental office was OK. Certainly an improvement. I loved the carpet. If I knew where to find it I would love to order a piece of it and have it bound to be an area rug.

• Love 2

Have to agree about the horrid coatrack.  Thought the mural idea was great, but the furniture made the place look too cluttered.  Would have preferred something more sleek.

Still don't get Tom's obsession with wallpaper. He really could not come up with A SINGLE OTHER IDEA besides the fish wallpaper for that teeny little room? I thought designers were supposed to do just that....ummmm....come up with ideas???? 

We get it, there's a fish tank....don't need this echoed through the room. Actually, that fish wallpaper in the monotone of silver / grey would have looked ok behind the bar ( still a bit obvious, but much nicer than the primary colors one).

But handpainting those antique chairs...without sanding...without removing the seats....just NO!

All this being said, I still enjoy this show and the interaction between the two.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Mannahatta said:

Personally, I can't see painting over high quality wood. But design trends are inevitable as long as people want  their homes to look "fresh" and "different".

It's a real struggle to decide.  I have solid high quality wood kitchen cabinets & living room walls.  It's beautiful wood, but so dark.  I have tried to bring myself to paint for the last five years, but just can't.   It feels like sacrilege and how will I feel when trends reverse back to natural wood?

13 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I did have one quibble with the dentist. If my dentist had teeth like hers I would be going to a different dentist. Just sayin.......

I thought that exact thing.  She has a super cute face!  Why not fix that?

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

It's a real struggle to decide.  I have solid high quality wood kitchen cabinets & living room walls.  It's beautiful wood, but so dark.  I have tried to bring myself to paint for the last five years, but just can't.   It feels like sacrilege and how will I feel when trends reverse back to natural wood?

Maybe, if she knew a dentist they could help her with that. LOL!!!! Maybe, to her healthy teeth doesn’t necessarily mean straight teeth. That’s the only thing I can think of. 

• Love 2
On 11/10/2018 at 2:41 AM, GoldaVining said:

The basement gym looked fantastic considering the impossibly low ceilings.  There was no chance the 2 grand budget would cover much more than new towels so I don't see how they could have accepted this client without doing it primarily as a gift. That was very kind and I think there was an audible gasp when Lucas read the quote in the locker area. That was perfect.

Yeah, two grand would cover, like, the washing machine and dryer, the bench, and the towels. Initially when he said he had two grand I thought he had workout equipment already and just needed the space redone and then when I realized he didn't, I was thinking "Yeah, no." It was a nice gift though.

1 hour ago, zillabreeze said:

I thought Dr. Cox was beautiful (she looked slammin' in the white outfit she had on for the reveal) but the gap in her teeth was driving me crazy. Her teeth did look healthy but that gap was a trip. I'd imagine it would be tough to do your own dental work, but surely she knows other dentists!

The wife in the most recently episode had indeed overfilled her face. I wasn't a fan of their house as a whole - just not my aesthetic at all.

I love that Carson and Thom are just as I remember them from the original Queer Eye. Just funny as hell and sweet, both of them, especially together.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 5

One problem with them removing the glass from the reception area of the waiting room is that it did serve a purpose.  Although it needed updating, it helped with privacy issues in regards to the receptionist being on the phone with patients.  It was also a barrier in which patients couldn't simply reach over the desk and swipe assorted info lying about.  The receptionist will have to be very careful in making sure that any identifying information she is working on isn't visible and accessible to the person standing at the front desk.  The next time they do a medical or dental office, they might want to take a look-see at the HIPAA rules so they'll be aware of how that plays a role in the design of a front desk. 

FWIW, I really don't like the wallpaper Thom has chosen thus far.  I don't want a wallpapered ceiling either.  It looks good in some of the redesigns he's done, but it will be a bitch to remove once it's outdated.  The fish tank room looked gaudy to me.  YMMV.  ;) 

For the money that the couple spent on their bedroom, I would expect the chairs to have been sent out to be professionally painted, not done on the driveway.  I love Carson and Thom, but some of these "design" ideas are a little on the cheap, IMO. 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 6

The white covered chairs in the dental office will be dirty in a week.  The DIY clothes rack with fall over when a heavy coat is put on it.  Also, the glass on the desk did serve a purpose as pointed out.  The waiting room will be a lot noisier without the glass. Almost all  Dr offices have privacy glass.  Regarding the consulting room:  wouldn't the consult be done in a dental chair so that the dentist could see what she was consulting about?

Also, I was waiting for one of the dogs to pee on the new rugs, marking their territory.

Edited by howiveaddict
  • Love 5

Basically, I think any of us could have redone the dentist's office cheaper and better. Like, sleek new acoustic ceiling tiles aren't that expensive. Pier 1 or similar for a new coat rack, upholstered accent or reception room chairs from Wayfair, etc. I think a large wall decal at around $25 would have been a lighter look than the heavy mural. There are a thousand to choose from.

If the dentist is in solo practice, she shouldn't need more than 6 waiting room seats, even given family members who tag along with patients. We weren't given those details, though. The new "consultation area" looked fine although it seemed to provide no privacy at all.

My dentist's office has regular furniture. It's kind of fancy Italianate but it's pleasant and looks like a furniture showroom, as opposed to the dreary rows of standard waiting room chairs at my doctor's office. A pretty office does lighten my mood a bit as a patient.

• Love 3

Ok,  I don't think the 'glass' was totally necessary.  My experience with dental offices is that they're pretty efficient with moving patients through.  AKA there aren't loads of people waiting and it seems she was a one dentist operation with one or two hygienists.  I don't understand the area for the dentist to do consults.  Don't they do that in dental room?  Much more private.  In any event, I wasn't crazy about the waiting room.  It's an improvement but still a cave with a drop ceiling. 

• Love 3

My problem with these design shows is that this is not how I function.  I have pieces from my parents and grandparents that need to be incorporated into the design.  My home isn't about 'impressing' people See Designer's Challenge which use to be on HGTV.  All these clients wanted was to have their guests impressed with their home.  My home is about me.  So, those mahogany pieces that my grandmother had....An oval picture of my great grandfather, the secretary, plant stand and end table have to be worked in.  BTW, they were dirt poor and lived in a tenement but they did have these mahogany pieces.  That's what a 'home' is about.  And yeah, those 'brown' tables from Italy my parents had have to be worked in as well.  Add to that the Chinese stack tables my uncle brought back during WWII have to work in as well. And the German silverware.

My home is eclectic.  And it works for me.  I'm not going to paint my grandparents solid mahogany furniture.  My challenge to a decorator would be to work it in.  And all the gold is going to be a passing phase. 

• Love 9
17 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Totally forgot about the DIY coat rack. Just no. 

I wondered if Dr. Cox felt the same way when Carson said he made the coat rack and she said "You made this?" The way she said that, and her expression, gave me that vibe. 

• Love 2

I still really do love this show, basically for Thom, Carson & their interactions.  Design-wise, though, agree that the finished product often looks very cluttered with needless accessories.  I don't want a couple of bookcases filled with designer-selected tchotchkes when I already have too many books to fit in my existing bookcases.  I loathe wallpaper, and think it will be out of fashion again in the future, so while the  new wallpaper looks much better than what Wallpaper To Go used to stock in my youth, I envision all of these people hiring a crew to steam it all off in about 8 years.  And the trend I really don't get--Thom does it here & Jennifer does it on Sweet Home--is the use of bronze/brass metals in light fixtures and furniture.  Apparently that's back from the 80s too? I think that's another thing that is going to look super dated in short order. (And I don't mean the wrap-around in the dentist's office--I think that had to stay just on budget concerns.  I'm talking the newly installed stuff.)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Lizzing said:

I still really do love this show, basically for Thom, Carson & their interactions.  Design-wise, though, agree that the finished product often looks very cluttered with needless accessories.  I don't want a couple of bookcases filled with designer-selected tchotchkes when I already have too many books to fit in my existing bookcases.  I loathe wallpaper, and think it will be out of fashion again in the future, so while the  new wallpaper looks much better than what Wallpaper To Go used to stock in my youth, I envision all of these people hiring a crew to steam it all off in about 8 years.  And the trend I really don't get--Thom does it here & Jennifer does it on Sweet Home--is the use of bronze/brass metals in light fixtures and furniture.  Apparently that's back from the 80s too? I think that's another thing that is going to look super dated in short order. (And I don't mean the wrap-around in the dentist's office--I think that had to stay just on budget concerns.  I'm talking the newly installed stuff.)

It seems like a lot of designers are going all in on gold and brass. Jeff Lewis on Flipping Out is another one. I think it looks dated already. I had my kitchen remodeled earlier this year and my first rule I had for the designer I was working with was no gold, no brass anything.

• Love 7