Type keyword(s) to search

Get A Room With Carson And Thom - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The studio apartment dude was sweet and that storyline was lovely. But the Nyack chick was soooooo annoying! I hate these clients who micromanage everything, yet they're clearly unable to decorate their own homes themselves, but god forbid they let the pros do their thing. Thom and Carson have great senses of humor to deal with clients like that.

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, Lava VaVoom said:

What did Mr. and Mrs. Scarsdale do for a living, that they could afford a blankety-blank castle?

He's a school principal; she was an interior designer & is now a realtor.

ETA - sorry, I was referring to the Nyack couple (they all look like mansions to me!)

Edited by walnutqueen
I don't pay enough attention to places
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

He's a school principal; she was an interior designer & is now a realtor.

Is Scarsdale the same as Nyack? If not, Nyack is as above but I missed what Ms Scarsdale does. Someone else posted that Dr Scarsdale is a surgeon.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, rhys said:

Is Scarsdale the same as Nyack? If not, Nyack is as above but I missed what Ms Scarsdale does. Someone else posted that Dr Scarsdale is a surgeon.

The Scarsdale one was last week - with the McMansion, and the wife who couldn't make a decision.  The other one featured was a psychic (orange curtains).

• Love 2

Really enjoyed the studio apartment, they did a wonderful job. Didn't even get to see the final Nyak room. How do you have a completely empty room for two years?? I had one once, but only because I had no money for furniture! It's a blank slate, give it a shot!

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, rhys said:

Whoops - my bad - I've gone back & added a correction.  Thanks!

56 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Really enjoyed the studio apartment, they did a wonderful job. Didn't even get to see the final Nyak room. How do you have a completely empty room for two years?? I had one once, but only because I had no money for furniture! It's a blank slate, give it a shot!

The homeowner didn't have "time" to "decorate" - just buy a sofa, a couple of chairs & a can of paint.  I guess if you "entertain" a lot (which seems to be the norm on these types of shows) you are very uncertain about your choices.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, breezy424 said:

There was a lot out there that would need to covered in the rain (cushions etc. even it's all sunbrella) plus the hanging lights from the umbrella. 

That's what I was concerned about too.  I had a neighbor who had similar type of furniture in his enclosed patio, and within a year it all mildewed.  Of course I'm in the south where the humidity is normally very high.  It seems like people don't take into consideration the rain and wind that's going to happen when they fancy up their patio.  

I found it interesting to watch the process for building that frame around the existing fireplace.  That turned out pretty good, but I wasn't a fan of the Tower of London sized clock.  I wasn't a fan of the hanging chair either.  At least not in the living room.  

Thom and Carson are so much fun to watch.  If we can't have the original group from Queer Eye, at least we've got these two!  Carson is hilarious as ever.   He brightens up my day with his snappy commentary!  And the "boujet!"  That does sound kinder than discussing the budget. 

I liked the studio apartment too.  The textured wallpaper really improved the looks of that small space.  

• Love 9
On 10/25/2018 at 10:54 AM, retiredviewer said:

I like the show. Carson was always my favorite from Queer Eye. I like how Thom explains things to Carson. And Carson seems to be paying attention and learning.

Thom was my favorite on Queer Eye with Carson a close second so this show was made just for me, it seems. 

On 10/26/2018 at 10:23 PM, Tanichka said:

Loved the studio apartment.  The dog was a cutie, too.  

Hated the great room in West Nyack.  Blue is a neutral - really?  If I see another blue wall ......  As for the frickin' hanging chair - I don't get that.  The fireplace would have been fine if not for that massive clock.  The outside deck was really nice, though.

On 10/26/2018 at 11:21 PM, breezy424 said:

Another fun episode.  Loved the studio as well.

West Nyack, not so much.  I liked the blue walls.  If I see another grey wall...  The hanging chair?  Nope but that wasn't Thom's choice.  I think Thom was doing what he could with the budget and the woman's taste.  The outside looked great but.... There was a lot out there that would need to covered in the rain (cushions etc. even it's all sunbrella) plus the hanging lights from the umbrella. 

Love Carson and Thom together. 

I didn’t like that room, but they can’t all be homeruns for my aesthetic. I’m sure it was mostly due to that nightmare client and her insistence of a hanging chair. 

23 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Really enjoyed the studio apartment, they did a wonderful job. Didn't even get to see the final Nyak room. How do you have a completely empty room for two years?? I had one once, but only because I had no money for furniture! It's a blank slate, give it a shot!

I call shenangans on all these clients having empty rooms for years. My guess is that they tell the clients to empty the rooms and some bullshit story on why it was empty. Obviously the studio was different since that was his entire living space and they couldn’t go with the party line. Plus, they seemed to want to do a mini Queer Eye episode with that guy. 

The thing I found the most surprising is that Carson didn’t officially come out to his parents until Queer Eye started. I am sure that wasn’t a revelation to them. But, I get that he had to officially say those words to his family. 

• Love 7
23 hours ago, ChitChat said:

That's what I was concerned about too.  I had a neighbor who had similar type of furniture in his enclosed patio, and within a year it all mildewed.  Of course I'm in the south where the humidity is normally very high.  It seems like people don't take into consideration the rain and wind that's going to happen when they fancy up their patio.  

I found it interesting to watch the process for building that frame around the existing fireplace.  That turned out pretty good, but I wasn't a fan of the Tower of London sized clock.  I wasn't a fan of the hanging chair either.  At least not in the living room.  

Thom and Carson are so much fun to watch.  If we can't have the original group from Queer Eye, at least we've got these two!  Carson is hilarious as ever.   He brightens up my day with his snappy commentary!  And the "boujet!"  That does sound kinder than discussing the budget. 

I liked the studio apartment too.  The textured wallpaper really improved the looks of that small space.  

I love the studio apartment. The Nyack house I love the clock I guess I’m in the minority!

16 hours ago, javajeanelaine said:

I love the studio apartment. The Nyack house I love the clock I guess I’m in the minority!

I wasn’t a fan of the clock, but I gave it a pass because it was already in the house, so obviously the owners liked it.

I am loving this show. I really like that nothing seems as fabricated as the makeover shows on HGTV.  Thom and Carson are as genuine as they come.

The QE guys always had a special place in my heart. My mom passed away a few years ago, but was in her mid-sixties when the original Queer Eye came out. She was extremely catholic and old-school and had no frame of reference for anything other than straight people. She was horrified by the idea of this show, but I had her watch with me and she fell in love with the Fab 5 (particularly Thom and Kyan in the beginning though she eventually got used to Carson..she had no use for Ted...lol). I watched this show broaden her horizons and really change her opinions on social issues. So...I’m so glad to see Thom and Carson again on my TV.

• Love 13

I liked the apartment a lot more than the room in the house.  However, I would be mad to find my nice bed discarded for a Murphy bed.  They aren't very comfortable because there is only a mattress, not a mattress + box springs.  It isn't quite as bad as a fold out couch, but still.....  Loved the wall paper and the dark paint in the foyer.

• Love 3

Carson can do no wrong in my eyes. He is pure entertainment, and I wish he was my friend (we come from the same local area in PA)!

I also wish he was an equal  partner on this show, not a deferent "intern" to Thom. 

The studio apartment: Actually,  the only thing I noticed was that the tenant has neighbors' windows practically on top of him! 

That,  and the fact I disagree with wallpaper above a stove.

Empty McMansion and the Decorator Diva: A hanging chair? Really? How....not classy. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 6

On a superficial note, Thom with that gorgeous salt and pepper hair.... so handsome! Carson has not aged at all. They both have very quick, dry senses of humor and never have been mean about what they snark on.  I do like that they incorporated a segment with Carson doing his specialty which was the styling makeover for the studio apt. guy. Carson knows his fashion and Thom knows his interior design. 

Marishka Barkatay!! Love the name and loved that sweet dog. 

• Love 17

I'm glad this is on Friday nights.  I hope they continue to do back to back episodes and I enjoy when Bravo repeats.  I miss so much of the quick fire banter by laughing and need to see again.

Welcome back Carson and Thom.  We sure did miss you.

• Love 15
13 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I also wish he was an equal  partner on this show, not a deferent "intern" to Thom. 

From what Carson has said on the show, he's coming into this as someone who readily admits to needing a mentor when it comes to interior design.  I like his self-deprecating humor in this regard.  He's giving his respect to Thom for his years as a designer.  This is the kind of friend I would want if I were showing them how to do something.  There's no attitude or ego, just an honest attempt on Carson's part to learn interior design.  It's such a refreshing dynamic, given the crappy way people act on other reality shows.  Thom is a patient person for taking him under his wing.  There were a couple of times that Thom didn't seem to be 100% on board with what Carson was thinking, but he never embarrassed him.  He let him experiment with a few different colors and designs.  It's a nice friendship and a joy to watch. 

• Love 18

Oh,  I understand the dynamic and the reasons, ChitChat; it's just that I want everything for Carson! 

I ran into him once in Manhattan. I mentioned I was from his area and asked for an autograph. Carson said he had to go a few feet to speak to someone, but he'd come back for a photo with me.  And he did! ?

• Love 18
On 10/27/2018 at 4:46 PM, ChitChat said:

To all here: when they bring up the sensitive topic of the budget, and refer to it delicately as the "boujet", make sure you pause your DVR and read their on screen written definition of the "boujet". It changes with each decorating job to fit the client situation  - - -and ITS HILARIOUS !!

Loving Carson and Tom and this show. So glad to see them back on TV. Much success to them both. 

This show is a pleasure.

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I ran into him once in Manhattan. I mentioned I was from his area and asked for an autograph. Carson said he had to go a few feet to speak to someone, but he'd come back for a photo with me.  And he did!

How lucky for you!  He's been in quite a few interviews over the years, and he seems so nice to everybody around him.  It's good to know that he is like that away from the cameras, but I imagined he would be.  :)  It's hard to fake his kind of enthusiasm! 

• Love 6

Love this show, 130K for a budget ? Yikes, that is more than I paid for my cottage.. Was not a fan of the gold wallpaper, but in the end it seem to all come together. Tonight we have this show, Sweet Home and I think Buying it Blind. I love these types of shows, however by Saturday morning I am jonesing for a run to Homegoods 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Tonight we have this show, Sweet Home and I think Buying it Blind. I love these types of shows, however by Saturday morning I am jonesing for a run to Homegoods 

Thanks for reminding me those shows are on tonight! I’ve got them set to record now. Yay ? I totally get the morning after run to Homegods, lol.

• Love 2

Pretty good episode.  I think I'm watching more for the repartee, more than the design.  The bakery was cute, but I couldn't help thinking how difficult if would be to keep the place clean.  Can you imagine customers sitting on the banquette & dropping food?  The house was fine, not really my personal taste, but nice.  Those McMansions must be murder to decorate and not have them look like a giant banquet hall.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Tanichka said:

how difficult if would be to keep the place clean. 

I also had that thought. It also me SMH that they had stools right up to the  display counter, but they had jars filed with stuff on shelves underneath it. I can imagine sitting there, banging into a glass container, knocking it over and breaking it. So I’d make a mess, have to buy something I had no intention of, and gosh forbid that I had sandals on or was wearing something else where I could get cut or hurt. 

I’m happy for Carson and Thom that the bakery owner warmed up to the pastel colors. Her clothing choices, especially the short shorts outfit, were a bit daring for a business owner/ mother of 4 when she went to see the preview. She could have been looking for a sugar daddy so she wouldn’t have to work full time at the bakery. I’ll see myself out now.  

• Love 5

I'm so excited to see more episodes of this show!  Always loved Carson and nice to see Thom back, they do have great chemistry, and I love the snark and humor, a nice change from the other decorating shows which I find quite boring, therefore rarely watch and never record, this one is already programmed into my machine!

• Love 7

Thom sure likes wallpaper!  That bakery seems to have ended up with less display space than before.  When I go to a bakery, I like to look at the case, then point to what I want.  Less stuff out, less I'm likely to buy anything.

I don't know about NYC but where I live, nice benches outside would just be an invitation to people to plop down and not buy anything, or attract the homeless.

• Love 3

Love the interaction.....love getting some decorating tidbits here & there.....not loving the bakery redo.  

Doesn’t seem like there’s any baking onsite...prepackaged cupcakes are screaming “copacker” .....and I did not like that they disrespected her wishes about the colors. It’s a gumball machine bad dream. The red door and black & white striped curtains could have led to a chic color scheme that had nothing to do with pastels. Not liking it.

That being said, enjoy the program and hope...like others...that Bravo doesn’t ruin it the way they ruined the Million Dollar Listing franchise ( among others).

• Love 2

Carson & Thom are funnier than some of the sitcoms on now (ohhhh, Murphy Brown, for example).  I've laughed out loud at C & T, but barely manage a smile at the comedies, which are allegedly funny.  I just hope "Get a Room"  doesn't have a very special episode (if you know what I mean).

• Love 6
20 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Thom sure likes wallpaper!  That bakery seems to have ended up with less display space than before.  When I go to a bakery, I like to look at the case, then point to what I want.  Less stuff out, less I'm likely to buy anything.

I don't know about NYC but where I live, nice benches outside would just be an invitation to people to plop down and not buy anything, or attract the homeless.

I was wondering if they bolted down those benches. I’m worried that they’d disappear as well as the bushes. It does make the storefront look appealing, but like you maybe too appealing to the wrong type of people.  

• Love 3
20 hours ago, bioprof said:

That being said, enjoy the program and hope...like others...that Bravo doesn’t ruin it the way they ruined the Million Dollar Listing franchise ( among others).

I really liked the first season of Million Dollar Listing and watched about 2 episodes when they revamped it to focus on the young guys, rather than the property sales.  Still don't get how that show stayed around and spun off MDLNY.

The Emmys need to add a chyron writer award and this show needs to win it.  They are so witty and make me actually look at the screen a whole lot more.

All those topiary decorations outside the bakery made me wonder if they were going to bring them in each night, lest they "walk" away with the aid of some B'lyn hipster. I do wonder about the size of the display case though.  In my mind, a display case in a bakery should be huge (think: Buddy's shop on Cake Boss).  But lately all the new specialty bakeries around where I live have tiny ones, like in the shop on the show.  The bakeries make great stuff, but seem to be more geared to having small batches of pastries on hand and having you order the rest.  Maybe that's why the client didn't seem to be that financially strapped by going to 'by appointment only' for a few months?

Edited to add this link: http://gothamist.com/2018/08/21/topiary_thief_brooklyn_video.php  Apparently some dumbass really did take the topiary dog!  And gave it back after the internet hunted her down and shamed her.

Edited by Lizzing
  • Love 8

Bravo needs to just let these two riff off one another.  I still remember Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, when the Fab 5 would first enter the makeover's home, and let loose with an endless stream of witticisms - all unscripted, I'd wager.  They are naturally funny guys, and hugely entertaining in their own right.  Add in some talented design and Oh, Boy, do we have a delightful show!  Please don'r mess with it, Bravo - I'd be hard pressed to hate you any more than I already do ...  ;-)

While I'm at it - bring back the QEftSG reruns.  I so enjoyed them the week before this show first aired.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Lizzing said:

The Emmys need to add a chyron writer award and this show needs to win it.  They are so witty and make me actually look at the screen a whole lot more.

Since the Emmy's won't do it, we should request a Previously TV Award category for it. 

This week's about the boujet with the rich couple was something about the amount of money needed to not put in red velvet curtains.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, meep.meep said:

This week's about the boujet with the rich couple was something about the amount of money needed to not put in red velvet curtains.

That was funny.  There is no amount of money that would make Thom buy red velvet curtains.  Carson reminds me of Sean Hayes in the way that he can be so funny with his off-the-cuff remarks. Has Carson ever had a cameo on Will & Grace?  I think he could play off of Sean's character and it would be hilarious.  

Back to this episode, I thought the bakery turned out nice, but I do wish they would've toned down the pastels - just because the owner initially said she didn't care for it.  I believe that the bench outside was already there, but I agree, it should be bolted down. 

1 minute ago, athousandclowns said:

did they fill that huge NJ great room and bedroom for $70 thousand?  

They came in just under budget.  Carson presented her with a spreadsheet that listed everything to the penny.  

• Love 4
On 11/3/2018 at 2:23 PM, bioprof said:

Love the interaction.....love getting some decorating tidbits here & there.....not loving the bakery redo.  

Doesn’t seem like there’s any baking onsite...prepackaged cupcakes are screaming “copacker” .....and I did not like that they disrespected her wishes about the colors. It’s a gumball machine bad dream. The red door and black & white striped curtains could have led to a chic color scheme that had nothing to do with pastels. Not liking it.

I’m not sure those cupcakes were from co-packers. I have those same exact plastic cups for my (very small) baking business. They weren’t that expensive and are great to use if you’re at an event where people only buy one. To me, it was odd she was using them in her bakery. It would make more sense to have the cupcakes out in the case and have varying sizes of boxes. Much easier to carry a box with several cupcakes inside than several of those containers. Plus, the boxes are much cheaper overall. 

As for the colors, our plan is actually to have a variation of those colors of pink and turquise (with coffee brown) if we ever open a storefront, but it’s not necessary for a bakery to use those colors. She didn’t want pastels. It could’ve been a very nice, chic bakery without the pastels. 

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, Spunkygal said:

I hated the HUGE print of Caesar in the $70k room. That thing has either got to go or to be used as dartboard.

Yeah, that wasn't my taste either.   I think it's something the husband wanted.  I'm all about compromising with Mr. Chat on these matters, but not on something as big and overpowering to a room as that!  Thom and Carson seemed to love it though.  I love Thom and Carson, but I don't always love their taste in décor.  

• Love 4
On 05/11/2018 at 7:32 PM, Spunkygal said:

I hated the HUGE print of Caesar in the $70k room. That thing has either got to go or to be used as dartboard.

The thing about that, is that the wife can take it down & put it in the bathroom or a closet.

• Love 1
Just now, Tanichka said:

Didn't care for the house in Teaneck.  The dining room was horrendous.

I agree.  There was nothing about the dining room that was my taste.   I don't mean to offend anybody who did like it though.  It was just too much wallpaper going at all kinds of angles.  I didn't like the ultra-modern light fixtures.  The chairs looked like they belong on a patio.   I would've stood my ground on nixing the wallpaper from the start.  I like wallpaper, but not that much of that particular design.  

I thought the gym turned out well though.  

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I don't mean to offend anybody who did like it though.

Yes, not my taste either.   The lighting!   I prefer "traditional" - not in the way that designers think is traditional, though.  ;o)

3 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

The chairs looked like they belong on a patio

They look like the $5.95 plastic chairs.  I just threw mine out recently - turned yellow & they were ultra-ugly to begin with.

• Love 2

I just watched episode 2 and the project manager or whatever her title is looked so darn familiar to me.  She was the one who was the on sight person who discussed the grout on the subway tile stain.  I know her from somewhere but I can't remember where.  Is there anyone who can help me out?

ETA her name was Leslie.

Edited by breezy424
  • Love 1
On 11/4/2018 at 5:32 AM, Tanichka said:

Carson & Thom are funnier than some of the sitcoms on now (ohhhh, Murphy Brown, for example).

True! I really needed these laughs tonight. I wish I had Carson in my life. There was a handsome young man who used to sit near me in my college days who kept up a whispered running commentary in my ear in the very same vein as Carson during our classes and I would be in absolute pain from squelched laughter. I wonder where he is now. I need him!

The basement gym looked fantastic considering the impossibly low ceilings.  There was no chance the 2 grand budget would cover much more than new towels so I don't see how they could have accepted this client without doing it primarily as a gift. That was very kind and I think there was an audible gasp when Lucas read the quote in the locker area. That was perfect.

I think the wallpaper in the Teaneck house was lovely on that little square sample but I was not happy with it on the wall. I didn't realize the pattern was so small and would be repeated in tiny little squares. That was bananas. I really liked the overall feel of the room of course, but I also didn't like the curtains with the embroidered border. They looked like curtains from a conference center or some place institutional.

In addition to Carson's quick wit, I am enjoying the truly baffled/mortified faces of Thom  -- like when the Teaneck lady with the yellow dress said, "We don't do touching" (or something like that) and when Lucas mentioned the 2-thousand-dollar budget. Also Thom's flushed face when he was on the inversion table and Carson was pumping it up and down like a handcar/pump trolley on a railway. So fun.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Tanichka said:

They look like the $5.95 plastic chairs. 

The chairs were too wide.  Since they will be hosting quite a few people, I would've suggested more narrow chairs without the arm rests.   

5 hours ago, GoldaVining said:

I think the wallpaper in the Teaneck house was lovely on that little square sample but I was not happy with it on the wall. I didn't realize the pattern was so small and would be repeated in tiny little squares.

It was like a patchwork quilt gone horribly wrong.

9 hours ago, breezy424 said:

I know her from somewhere but I can't remember where.  Is there anyone who can help me out?

Sorry, brzeey424, I didn't recognize her.  Maybe someone will identify her!

5 hours ago, GoldaVining said:

Also Thom's flushed face when he was on the inversion table and Carson was pumping it up and down like a handcar/pump trolley on a railway. So fun.

It's fun watching Thom when he goes from serious mode to busting out laughing with Carson.  What a genuine friendship they have.  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 5

I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood but they touched so that non touching was new to me. I guess my neighbors were reformed??? Sara said they were something else I think but she wasn't covering her hair so what do I know.

I agree with the poster above regarding the need for narrower chairs. Duh.

• Love 1