Type keyword(s) to search

FBI - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Rewatching s1 after a tough day...and on the episode PREY....Maggie tells Hailey 1 in 5 women are SA'd......later OA asks her if its really 1 in 5, and says he has 3 sisters and a mother is it really 1 in 5...and he's giving her this look as she says yes that it really is 1 in 5 .....and it feels like he is looking at her wondering between her, his mother, and his sisters...who was assaulted and he doesn't know....Personally, I'm shocked its only 1 in 5, I would've thought it would've been more than that.

Edited by LadyChaos
  • Sad 3
On 10/12/2022 at 10:08 PM, LadyChaos said:

I have to be honest....its so weird to me that a show that has the highest ratings for its time slot on broadcast television....there's really not much of an online presence in forums, reddit, sm....How come this show doesn't have its own forum on PT?

Not enough traffic to justify a full forum. Hence the thread.

Maybe Im just getting old...but in s1 OA sister pushes her way into an investigation and slams OA for refusing to let her help...so she does it anyway.... then in s5 with Tyler trying to get involved and talk to his friend behind his dad's back.....both times, OA and Jubal apologized and called them brave and heroes and told them they saved lives.....and I'm like no...No, their stupid. Their stupid teenagers, who put themselves in dangerous situations...they both need to be grounded, not rewarded for making a dangerous situation worse because they didn't listen and thought they knew better.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 10/12/2022 at 10:08 PM, LadyChaos said:

I have to be honest....its so weird to me that a show that has the highest ratings for its time slot on broadcast television....there's really not much of an online presence in forums, reddit, sm....How come this show doesn't have its own forum on PT?

Last season this thread used up 6 pages, so, at 50 posts per page for 21 episodes, the roughly 306 posts = 14 posts per episode. 

I do wonder if there would be more posts per episode if there were separate threads.
🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Last season this thread used up 6 pages, so, at 50 posts per page for 21 episodes, the roughly 306 posts = 14 posts per episode. 

I do wonder if there would be more posts per episode if there were separate threads.
🤷🏻‍♀️

I feel like there are a lot of people who don't see a main forum so assume there isn't a thread. I only found it cause I hit search.

Edited by LadyChaos
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 10/12/2022 at 7:08 PM, LadyChaos said:

Doesn't seem weird to me because this is a very straight forward by the book procedural for the most part.

What is there to discuss as there isn't that much depth or nuance.

This isn't a show like Succession which has nuances or even a truly trashfastic show like one of the Housewives show or Kardashians.

Truly what is there to discuss about most of the episodes? 

Also I imagine that the show skews older in terms of demographics as much of the CBS programming does and that is the demographic that is probably least likely to go online to discuss shows.

47 minutes ago, amarante said:

Doesn't seem weird to me because this is a very straight forward by the book procedural for the most part.

What is there to discuss as there isn't that much depth or nuance.

This isn't a show like Succession which has nuances or even a truly trashfastic show like one of the Housewives show or Kardashians.

Also I imagine that the show skews older in terms of demographics as much of the CBS programming does and that is the demographic that is probably least likely to go online to discuss shows.

But most (if not all) of the shows similar to how you describe this one have full forums, including the Law & Order shows, the NCIS shows, the CSI shows, the 9-1-1 shows, etc. etc.
🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, amarante said:

Exposition of crime and explanation for FBI's involvement - check

Personal drama within the agency personnel - check

ID suspect in war room through judicious subversion of civil rights - check

Accost suspect in street, resulting in weekly chase and apprehension - check

Suspect is not the right guy - check

More work by the muppets in the war room - check

Real suspect that all the audience picks out immediately - check

Arrest or sometimes a killin' - check

Final valedictory - check

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Originally, FBI did have a forum/separate threads per episode and each episode got, maybe, a dozen posts. When FBI: Most Wanted came along, it had a forum/separate threads and each thread got a half dozen posts. Shortly thereafter, both FBI and FBI:MW were moved into threads. FBI: International was created as just a thread.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

More work by the muppets in the war room - check

Maybe if the FBI franchise adds actual muppets, we’ll get full forums?

Apparently there’s Sam Eagle Muppet, who:

• “In Muppets Most Wanted, Sam plays a substantial role as a CIA agent, assigned to stop an elaborate crime spree by Constantine and Dominic Badguy (working somewhat grudgingly at first with Interpol operative Jean Pierre Napoleon).”  
    https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Sam_the_Eagle

I know CIA ≠ FBI, but it seems Sam Eagle might want to work with the FBI too.😉

On 10/12/2022 at 7:26 PM, catrice2 said:

I honestly hope the show doesn't go the way of romantic relationships and keep it about the work....whether it is Maggie and OA or Scola and the new person.  Who really cares?  I was already annoyed by Jubal's girlfriend and Maggie's boyfriend and they were not in the "core" group. 

I also hope the show doesn’t go the way of romantic relationships and I like how for the most part this show stays away from that and focuses on the cases - I don’t want this show to go the route of Dick Wolf’s Chicago soap opera shows. And I don’t think they will go that route with the main characters, and I don’t really sense romantic chemistry between any of the main characters.

I was very annoyed with Maggie’s douchebag boyfriend Nestor and I’m glad he didn’t last long, and while Rina was fine in her first episode as a character that gave some insight into Jubal’s past, when they made her a recurring character and had her and Jubal start seeing each other again that was a mistake, she was just unlikable then and I was glad when she bit the dust. I’m not sure where they are going with Scola and Nina, again it was fine when they revealed in Nina’s first episode that they hooked up once in the past, but I don’t get why they had them start sleeping together again in episode 2 and I don’t really sense a lot of romantic chemistry there. It also makes me curious as to how they will get rid of Nina when Maggie returns, I like Nina and I hope they don’t kill her off, she could be a good recurring character to pop back in in the future, but I’m afraid they will go the dramatic route and kill her off.

On 10/13/2022 at 10:14 PM, LadyChaos said:

After next weeks episode, there is a break...the next episode won't air until 11/8.

Episode 6 will actually air in a special time slot on the Sunday night of November 6, November 8 is Election Day so it will be off that night and then the show will return with new episodes on Tuesdays starting November 15 I believe.

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 2

I just want to prepare everyone since its seems that the potential relationship between OA and Maggie has people divided, Zeeko Zaki has already been on record as stating that OA has romantic feelings towards Maggie. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Episode 6 will actually air in a special time slot on the Sunday night of November 6, November 8 is Election Day so it will be off that night and then the show will return with new episodes on Tuesdays starting November 15 I believe.

Correct: Here's the article showing the Sunday time: https://tvline.com/2022/10/17/fbi-season-5-sunday-episode-november-6/   

Since Nov 8 is Election Day, there will probably be no new episodes of any show that evening.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

"Flopped Cop" 5.3: 

• "A wealthy accountant is gunned down after secretly testifying against a notorious drug lord, leading the team to get Tiffany to ask for help from a friend formerly part of the NYPD, and a relative to the drug lord as well."

That was a lot.

Early on Jubal remarks:

• "It's like I always say: Never trust your dermatologist's assistant"

???

So I guess CBS doesn't censor "prick"?

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Early on Jubal remarks:

???

The grand juror that tipped off the crime lord about his being indicted worked for his dermatologist.  Hence Jubal's wise crack.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Early on Jubal remarks:

???

16 minutes ago, Maverick said:

The grand juror that tipped off the crime lord about his being indicted worked for his dermatologist.  Hence Jubal's wise crack.

Yeah, I caught the reference, it was just that "never" was a weird generalization, like maybe his ex-wife is a dermatologist's assistant too?

Edited by shapeshifter

I actually loved Jubal’s crack about the very specific dermatologist’s assistant reference — I say offbeat things like that too sometimes.  I thought he was being subtly funny.  

Wonder where that other tech person was that we often see / can’t remember her name / the very thin woman who was almost blown up?

Good episode, I thought.  Tiffany, for being so so so serious and stern, can come across as too trusting and naive when it comes to those she knows.  As a highly trained FBI agent, I would have thought she would “read” Ralphie and his mental state better and would have tried to protect him from getting too close to the flame.  

I did love that, for once, they announced “FBI” when they were standing 1 foot in front of and behind the perp.  Finally.  

• Love 4

Another good episode - nothing too out of the ordinary, but an enjoyable episode still. Good investigative work by everyone in investigating and building the case.

I knew Ralphie was going to cause problems, I just didn’t know how. He made his own choices though, it wasn’t the FBI’s fault, he was just a troubled guy who finally snapped, I didn’t blame the FBI for using him as an informant, he did fine at it actually, but he just couldn’t keep his emotions in check and wanted to avenge his brother. His ending was tragic but it was of his own making.

Good use of everyone tonight - it was Tiffany/Scola centric and I like their episodes, but everyone got a nice role. Jubal had some good lines, I loved some of his offbeat wisecracks, and Jubal and his room of agents/analysts are my favorite part of the show. And Isobel got to get out of the office and talk to the US Attorney. And I liked how all 4 main field agents showed up at the crime scene and were in the field together some.

This show is really in a nice rhythm right now, it’s my favorite of the 3 FBI’s and I will miss it while it’s off for a few weeks. Solid episode.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I love any episode that OA is not featured. He is fine for the show, just not as a focus character 

OA's my favorite character so I'll respectfully disagree.

I like the new analyst...at least I don't remember him before now. I wish we would see more of Ian Lim too. 

Not a fan of Nina though, she was pretty rough on the widow right off the bat.

Scola: We need to pick him up....for all the times he didn't keep to himself. LOL!

Edited by LadyChaos
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

it was just that "never" was a weird generalization, like maybe his ex-wife is a dermatologist's assistant too?

it was a joke, it's something he never says, that I suspect nobody has ever said

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Besides the generous sprinkling of the p word, I noticed they were calling the married women "Miss".  Is that a new thing?

Every time an agent is personally involved they seem to lose all common sense.  Tiffany should have noticed Ralphie's emotional state and that it might cause problems.

Still, I thought it was a pretty good episode.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Are this show's writers trying to make the FBI look bad?
Tiffany enlists a guy that is very clearly a loose-cannon.  Scola lies to back up her support.
They later find loose-cannon guy about to kill the bad drug-runner guy.
"We can't let you kill anyone!"
... the FBI ends up killing both men within about a minute.
... but they feel bad about 'having' to do it over drinks that night.  

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, shrewd.buddha said:

We've probably all heard/read countless times that armed forces are trained to shoot at the center of mass (heart)――
but
given the seemingly interminable length of time our Fibbies Tiff and Scola had to think about the likelihood of having to shoot Ralphie and/or El Feo――
and given that they regularly do target practice――
it seems Tiff could have at least this once shot the gun out of Ralphie's hand, or really, shot him anywhere non-fatal to just throw off Ralphie's aim at El Feo. 

ETA:
But then I guess El Feo would have killed Ralphie????

Sure, that would have been "against protocol," but, really?
I mean, don't they routinely go against protocol when the situation warrants?
I guess the moral of the story is: helping your down-on-is-luck friend get a job at your work place means you might have to kill him????

And same with Scola. 
Or doesn't El Feo have any information worthy of shooting him in, oh, I don't know, the liver?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Every time an agent is personally involved they seem to lose all common sense.  Tiffany should have noticed Ralphie's emotional state and that it might cause problems.

Still, I thought it was a pretty good episode.

She knew, she just felt like she owed him.

30 minutes ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Tiffany enlists a guy that is very clearly a loose-cannon.  Scola lies to back up her support.
... but they feel bad about 'having' to do it over drinks that night.  

ehh.....this show is following a very loose interpretation of what the FBI is..... I mean Rima would've been severely censured for being in a relationship with Jubal.....SWAT can't break down the door of every suspect.(Can you imagine all those complaints for innocent victims demanding to know who was going to fix their door?)...wire taps placed by informants are still illegal...having informants gather evidence for them would be grounds for evidence not being able to be submitted for trial....All of them would've been put on immediate paid leave at even a whiff of personal involvement in a case...

It's a drama....emphasis on the DRAMA. LOL!

ETA: OH! There was also that episode where OA and Maggie illegally broke into a restaurant to get security footage...

Edited by LadyChaos
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Why would you think that?  I mean, you have an identified killer in possession of at least a shotgun hiding out in a halfway house, why bother with a SWAT team?  Just send two agents from the Ressler school of perimeter control to let him go hog wild as he runs off.  /s

• LOL 3

It does amuse me every time the FBI SWAT team shows up in tactical gear from head to foot. But the 'star' FBI team members are at the head of the charge, with only their FBI vest .. because you gotta get that face time... 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
grammar
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, shrewd.buddha said:

It does amuse me every time the FBI SWAT team shows up in tactical gear from head to foot. But the 'star' FBI team members are at the head of charge, with only their FBI vest .. because you gotta get that face time... 

They're wearing the best kind of armor....Plot armor..... but I always laugh when its clear they paid literally no mind to the extras used for SWAT because of the times the beer bellies were hanging out below their vests....

With as much as they use SWAT on this show, they should just have regular cast members for it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Not a fan on this Flopped Cop episode.

Maggie will be back by 5x06 right?

Please come back soon… 😩

She is definitely back for 507, but nothing is said officially for 506....My guess, is if she is, its just a minute or two since 506 is supposed to be very Scola/Nina focused and the stills released so far don't have Maggie in them. So most likely she isn't in 506. Personally I cannot wait to have my A team (Maggie/OA) back.

Edited by LadyChaos
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I love any episode that OA is not featured. He is fine for the show, just not as a focus character 

I don’t dislike OA, but he’s probably my least favorite of the main characters. He’s a tad bit self righteous at times, and some of his feature episodes with personal plots haven’t been great, I actually did like the episode this season where he dealt with the NYPD detective investigating his mugging, that was one of his better personal storylines. 

• Like 6
5 hours ago, LadyChaos said:

Just came to post this. LOL! 

So interested to see her return, Zeeko said in an intervene last week that OA will definitely feel over protective of Maggie....and Im here for it.

I’m not here for it - OA can get on my nerves when he takes things too personally and just comes off as self righteous. I do look forward to seeing Maggie again as I like her a lot. And I’m curious as to what they will do with Nina, I hope they don’t kill her off and she just transfers out, I like her and wouldn’t mind seeing her again in the future. 

From TVLine's Ask Matt:

I am loving Shantel [VanSanten] as Nina on FBI. She’s been a breath of fresh air. Any chance we can keep her after Missy’s return?? –Lesley
Matt: Those curious about Nina’s status with the team should keep an eye on that special Sunday episode of CBS’ second-most watched drama, airing Nov. 6….

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I’m not here for it - OA can get on my nerves when he takes things too personally and just comes off as self righteous. I do look forward to seeing Maggie again as I like her a lot. And I’m curious as to what they will do with Nina, I hope they don’t kill her off and she just transfers out, I like her and wouldn’t mind seeing her again in the future. 

To each their own.

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

From TVLine's Ask Matt:

I am loving Shantel [VanSanten] as Nina on FBI. She’s been a breath of fresh air. Any chance we can keep her after Missy’s return?? –Lesley
Matt: Those curious about Nina’s status with the team should keep an eye on that special Sunday episode of CBS’ second-most watched drama, airing Nov. 6….

I've heard she'll stick around in an 'interesting' capacity....I just hope that she won't be the new ADIC, as having the apparently youngest, newest member of team become their boss is just a little weird....plus we already had Jubal sleeping with the boss....

• Love 2
On 10/16/2022 at 9:37 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I was very annoyed with Maggie’s douchebag boyfriend Nestor and I’m glad he didn’t last long, 

I completely disliked Nestor.  Between his sleazy-looking smile and his inability to shave properly, and a few other things, just added up to his being beyond creepy.  His beard went all the way down his neck until it met his chest hair.  I love a nicely trimmed beard, but sloppy ones turn me off.  Heck, I’d rather see Maggie with Jubal or Stuart instead of Nestor. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

I completely disliked Nestor.  Between his sleazy-looking smile and his inability to shave properly, and a few other things, just added up to his being beyond creepy.  His beard went all the way down his neck until it met his chest hair.  I love a nicely trimmed beard, but sloppy ones turn me off.  Heck, I’d rather see Maggie with Jubal or Stuart instead of Nestor. 

I didn't understand his need to put OA down....I understood OA's jealousy, but he tried to keep it under control...but sometimes it was like Nestor got off on needling OA.

Also it was a super red flag to me when OA brought in Maggie's favorite breakfast and she told him she already ate sushi...and he goes: I thought you hated sushi....and she doesn't deny it.

I was kind of like...wait a minute, that means she either went to restaurant she knew she wouldn't like anything on the menu, just to please Nestor...or he took her to a restaurant that she didn't like, and didn't care she didn't like it.

There was also the whole signing a lease on a new appartment that she never saw, for them to move in together, before she agreed to move in with him...

Edited by LadyChaos
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Heck, I’d rather see Maggie with Jubal or Stuart instead of Nestor. 

With the seemingly mandatory male+female partners and no reprimands for supervisors dating subordinates, why don't they just go with an inner-office polyamory situation? :-)

Seriously, all the the characters on these police and medical procedurals are such lazy daters. No one ever seems to have a successful, stable relationship outside work.
Everyone always claims that their co-workers are "family".  (Ugh)
Everyone appears to be on the clock 24-7 ... or hanging out at a bar with co-workers after an 18-hour day at work. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
grammar
  • LOL 3
7 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

With the seemingly mandatory male+female partners and no reprimands for supervisors dating subordinates, why don't they just go with an inner-office polyamory situation? :-)

Seriously, all the the characters on these police and medical procedurals are such lazy daters. No one ever seems to have a successful, stable relationship outside work.
Everyone always claims that their co-workers are "family".  (Ugh)
Everyone appears to be on the clock 24-7 ... or hanging out at a bar with co-workers after an 18-hour day at work. 

I assume you meant this as a joke, but I am going to respond with a serious answer....I will tell you that Ive worked in both law enforcement and the medical field....and its...well....the banging in closets every shift/residency room didn't happen(to my knowledge)We'd never actually get anything done if we did... LOL...but when its hard to find other people who understand the demands of the job and the schedule, you do start to spend most of a lot of your free time with the people you work with, because they...just get the struggles...There both high stress jobs with high burnout rates. There is a a reason law enforcement allows retirement so much sooner than most other careers.

While I think them ALL being besties is ridiculous, I think catching a drink after work, being a work spouse, spending days off together, confiding in each other when things are getting to them....all completely in the realm of possible.

I also think that, given that while the numbers of women in law enforcement are growing, its still more men then women, and given that it was always a requirement(for us at least) for at least one woman to be in any case involving a woman, the men weren't even allowed to search a woman. It makes sense that all the women agents are paired up with men.

Given that its a cop drama, I don't really take issue with the relationship dynamics, as long as I like the characters. Honestly, statisticly speaking, its actually hard for a fiction show/movie to succeed without some degree romance ingrained into the storyline. And I don't mean the side characters, I mean the main characters. So I always go into an new series assuming that the show runners have a plan for at least one long term relationship/endgame coupling between two main characters, or a main character and a secondary character that is consistently present(who usually ends up being a main character). And very few shows have surprised me on that front. 

I take a bigger issue with them playing fast and loose with the realities of working a case. I get that because its a drama, they need to create a DRAMA, but ....Im just saying, most law enforcement units don't have a full time SWAT unit, let alone the amount of squads that FBI seems to use to break down the door of 80% of their suspects...the liberal use of CI's to illegally wiretap peoples houses to get confessions or steal evidence. Breaking into businesses to steal evidence....none of that would ever be allowed in a real court room....ever. I honestly expected better of DW productions since L&O tries to stay in the realm of reasonable believability...but even though his name is on it, I doubt very much Wolf is involved in this series. 

At the end of the day though, I still like this show more than I've like most new shows that have come out the past few years.

Edited by LadyChaos
  • Love 2
On 10/19/2022 at 10:21 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I don’t dislike OA, but he’s probably my least favorite of the main characters. He’s a tad bit self righteous at times, and some of his feature episodes with personal plots haven’t been great, I actually did like the episode this season where he dealt with the NYPD detective investigating his mugging, that was one of his better personal storylines. 

I liked the episode and I liked the subject of it. What I didn't like was that it was OA it happened to and not Tiffany or Scola. Anyone but OA, really.

I understand why OA held back and that he had difficulties being a victim and that he probably thought that something like that shouldn't happen to him and I don't blame him for reacting the way he did. I think it was a believable reaction and that everyone was right to tell him that he wasn't to blame. But that's why I would have liked it to be one of the other characters because OA is never to blame and when he screws up, disobeys orders etc, there never are any consequences because things work out in the end. Here, someone died, but as much as I want to, it would be wrong to blame OA for it and that's what bothered me about this episode. For once, there are consequences to his actions and he can't be blamed for it, so it ended up being just another of those episodes where OA gets away with things.

While I like OA, I really dislike characters that can do whatever they want and are absolved of their wrong-doing in the end. I think Maggie provided a good balance in the earlier seasons to his righteousness and I hope it returns once she's back.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

I liked the episode and I liked the subject of it. What I didn't like was that it was OA it happened to and not Tiffany or Scola. Anyone but OA, really.

I understand why OA held back and that he had difficulties being a victim and that he probably thought that something like that shouldn't happen to him and I don't blame him for reacting the way he did. I think it was a believable reaction and that everyone was right to tell him that he wasn't to blame. But that's why I would have liked it to be one of the other characters because OA is never to blame and when he screws up, disobeys orders etc, there never are any consequences because things work out in the end. Here, someone died, but as much as I want to, it would be wrong to blame OA for it and that's what bothered me about this episode. For once, there are consequences to his actions and he can't be blamed for it, so it ended up being just another of those episodes where OA gets away with things.

While I like OA, I really dislike characters that can do whatever they want and are absolved of their wrong-doing in the end. I think Maggie provided a good balance in the earlier seasons to his righteousness and I hope it returns once she's back.

I guess we viewers were supposed to think OA was holding back information, and we were supposed to be thinking:  
     OA! WTH??  [which I did think]
And then we were supposed to realize:   
     Ooooh. OA really couldn’t remember.  
     Just like the victim in the case.

I’m not sure if that would’ve been more clear if it had happened to a different character. 
Maybe? 
Or maybe we needed to hear OA explicitly explain that to someone. 
Maybe he still will?

• Like 1
  • Love 1