Type keyword(s) to search

FBI - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I got a laugh when the agents showed the old man an aerial view of the neighborhood and asked him if anything seemed familiar.  Ever seen an aerial photo of any neighborhood?  Try and identify it on the spot.

I am still puzzled over just what all those other people do in the FBI headquarters.

It's always been my understanding that police procedure during a bank robbery is to let the robbery take place and then pursue the criminals outside when you have sufficient resources to do so.  It was stupid of that cop to endanger everyone in the bank (although nobody could seem to hit anyone), especially since he was outgunned from the start.

All that convicts have to do with their time is look at google earth maps of their hood to remind themselves of when they were free.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I felt sorry for the bank security guard. The man wanted to draw his gun, stand proud, remove the security guard stereotype of laziness and join OA and Maggie in the arrest/take down but OA deprived him of his one moment to shine and ordered him to take cover in the corner (never to be seen again).

Cutler looked dead for a minute while Maggie was emoting. Did the show forget to run the flat line sound? And after all that Maggie had to ask what was happening to him.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Perhaps if Maggie had left the guy alone in the hospital bed, he would have survived and might have been able to answer her questions.  Her going there just added more stress to a guy that was struggling to survive.

I was a bit surprised that the doctor didn't tell Maggie to leave.  He just left at her request.  I don't think that would happen in a real life situation.

I wondered if she'd get blowback from that, then I remembered that I didn't care.

Edited by Kelda Feegle
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

This show appears to be going in an odd direction. Maggie had never obsessed about that phone video until this episode. 
And why did OA not suggest having the video analyzed to identify the suspect? ... since the FBI tech wizards (literally, wizards) manage to solve most of the cases with little more than a reflected image from a rear-view mirror and a discarded gum wrapper. 
The only reason the cases take so long is that everyone has to wait for Maggie and OA to personally drive to every location to confront suspects and interview witnesses.

It was no surprise that the hired killer guy would die before talking. What was surprising was Maggie's "how could you?" attitude regarding hired killers not taking more of a personal interest in the lives of their targets. Is she new?

Unfortunately, the show has settled into a mostly regular pattern of tropes and cliches. I find myself more curious about what the other 10+ FBI agents are doing during the bullpen exposition sessions at headquarters. Do you think some of them are just checking their social media while pretending to pay attention? 

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

The plot didn't make much sense at all. If a drug is being tested for efficacy, then it is in the drug company's best interest to notify the FDA of any manufacturing problems right away instead of trying to hide it. Otherwise the additional deaths would be blamed on the active ingredient in the drug, thus greatly increasing the chances that the drug is going to be rejected.

• Love 1

No one watched this weeks episode?  Three pages back.  Doesn’t bode well

The episode wasn’t half bad.  If focused on Dana played by Sela Ward and it was in large part about women in powerful positions and how men react to them.

A high powered female banker gets blowed up and the FBI execs bring in a brash young dude to “advise” Dana but he completely overlooks her and treats her like a subordinate.  They go back and forth when other people get blowed up on how to proceed.   

Its actually not a bad episode.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

FBI execs bring in a brash young dude to “advise” Dana but he completely overlooks her and treats her like a subordinate.

That would be Paulo Costanzo who played Lyor Boone the fast-talking, wisecracking, know-it-all on Designated Survivor. Seems he found his niche as an unlikeable character.

• LOL 1
5 minutes ago, preeya said:

That would be Paulo Costanzo who played Lyor Boone the fast-talking, wisecracking, know-it-all on Designated Survivor. Seems he found his niche as an unlikeable character.

He was a lovable goof ball  on "Royal Pains" but that was quite a while back.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

There is a new trope in town: Without notification,  a smug jerk shows up in the middle of a case and announces that they have been sent from "headquarters"  to quarterback the team.  A leadership pissing contest ensues, causing both parties to look petty and childish - because the days of professional decorum are over.

This episode was difficult to watch with all the anvils falling and being repeatedly bludgeoned with ham-fisted current issues.  If there were a bot that could consume  trending topics with the accompanying cliches and sound bites - amplify them while also dumbing them down - and then crap out a script - this episode would be the result. And it would be written in ALL CAPS. 

You know toxic masculinity guy would have lawyer'd up in a second - but the show needed him to spout as much OMG, sexist rhetoric as possible. During the interrogations, the sneering smiles of moral superiority from Maggie and OA was not a good look for them. 
Almost every scene in this episode was over-the-top-and wannbe triggering. 
Dana doing an armchair profiling session while Maggie described the apartment was cringe inducing.

Both FBI lead lady and smug jerk from headquarters got a few punches in with correct predictions, but it was obvious who was going to win overall. In the end there were two potential bomb targets but *only* Maggie and OA are available to be sent to one in time. Seriously? The FBI would let a bomb go off before even considering contacting the local police department? 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 10

Has anyone else wondered about the ubiquitous video cameras that seem to show up in every episode?  They're everywhere:  on every street, in every store, at street level, looking down from above.  They all work all the time, and all are instantly available to the FBI at a moment's notice--no need apparently to get a warrant. And the FBI has software that lets them seamlessly track someone moving around the city and never lose him.   Are there really this many video cameras in NYC?  Has the FBI put them there?  Is it really 1984?  Aren't criminals aware of this and taking steps to avoid or fool them?

I call lazy writing on this.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Didn't really care for this episode really. It just seemed like too much sniping about men and women. I thought Nick Frost would have asked for a lawyer after the second or third question. 

The club they went to, I could have sworn I saw some women running out as well but they were staffers. This episode could have been better though. 

I do not like to wish anyone harm but the female CEO was a real bitch. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

No one watched this weeks episode?  Three pages back.  Doesn’t bode well

The episode wasn’t half bad.  If focused on Dana played by Sela Ward and it was in large part about women in powerful positions and how men react to them.

A high powered female banker gets blowed up and the FBI execs bring in a brash young dude to “advise” Dana but he completely overlooks her and treats her like a subordinate.  They go back and forth when other people get blowed up on how to proceed.   

Its actually not a bad episode.

I watched. I liked seeing Sela put Paulo in his place. Didn't like seeing others get blown up& couldn't figure how those bombs made it from the maker's place to the point where they exploded without exploding early.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, DaveL723 said:

Has anyone else wondered about the ubiquitous video cameras that seem to show up in every episode?

Not to mention the fact that they can pull up enormous data on any person they want, even if they have no criminal record.  It's The Machine, I tell you. 

Based on the previous explosions, I would think it would be much safer for the two occupants in the restroom to shelter in place.  What if there was a secondary device out in the lobby?

In addition to the lawyer comments here, I have a question.  Why do people who are being chased down a street/alley/etc. always turn around to see if the cop is still behind them?  Did you think you lost him?

In the midst of all this sexual discrimination/harassment exposition, Jubal has one of the assistants research some data, and casually puts his arm on her shoulder.  Hmmm.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, DaveL723 said:

Has anyone else wondered about the ubiquitous video cameras that seem to show up in every episode?  They're everywhere:  on every street, in every store, at street level, looking down from above.  They all work all the time, and all are instantly available to the FBI at a moment's notice--no need apparently to get a warrant. And the FBI has software that lets them seamlessly track someone moving around the city and never lose him.   Are there really this many video cameras in NYC?  Has the FBI put them there?  Is it really 1984?  Aren't criminals aware of this and taking steps to avoid or fool them?

I call lazy writing on this.

I have. This show relies too heavy on it. This team will have a very hard time solving a crime if footage is not available. I guess they need a device to keep Jubal and Kirsten busy and important. 

If the writers every did an episode with no camera help, they would pat themselves on the back as if they did something ground breaking.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 2/27/2019 at 6:34 AM, preeya said:

When he first came in with his 82% of bombers theory and the SAC kept going on with it's not all about Numb3rs, at least three times, I kept thinking wait that's not him. It finally clicked, he was the little brother from Royal Pains

• Like 1
(edited)

I actually found this episode to be pretty entertaining.  The sexism arguments were done in a way that made the audience feel like they were in on the joke.  As opposed to SWAT, where all  such conversations have the feeling of  impending doom.  This episode got their point across in a fun way. 

If all FBI episodes were as entertaining as this one, I could understand the season renewal. Unfortunately most of the episodes are boring. 

Edited by mythoughtis

I find this show rather appealing and stuck with it last night.  I normally watch New Amsterdam, but, this has more potential, imo.  I find that the agent Maggie reminds me so much of the actress who portrayed an asst. DA (Abbie Carmiachel) on Law & Order some time ago.  Here's a link with her photo. Their mannerisms and voice are similar too.

https://lawandorder.fandom.com/wiki/Abbie_Carmichael

I did think that in last night's episode where the Federal Judge and her daughter were murdered in the street, it was odd how the known FBI agents just sat in the vehicle and chatted with the undercover FBI agent like they were at a picnic!  All the while they were sitting out front of this club where the bad guys were sitting.  AND, the Agents knew there was a surveillance camera outside filming them.....WTH? They seemed very slack with that undercover agent's cover.  Odd. 

S01.E16:   Invisible

When the daughter of a wealthy family is kidnapped in an attempt to gain notorious internet fame, Maggie and OA discover the kidnapper's plans go far beyond abduction in order to never be forgotten.

Favorite line of the episode:  "The judge just 'John Hancock'ed' the search warrant."  Didn't anyone catch this on the read through?

Props to the security guard for disrupting the attack at the outset.  Too bad he got clobbered right away. 

So Kristen the analyst is going to the Academy.  I wonder if she is leaving the show, because they sure dropped an anvil with her replacement.  Way to go, ubiquitous Asian tech expert.

It's a wonder any crime goes unpunished in New York, what with all the camera footage and database information on everyone that law enforcement has on this show.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

It's a wonder any crime goes unpunished in New York, what with all the camera footage and database information on everyone that law enforcement has on this show.

Well, methinks Wolf cribbed that from Law & Order: UK. I swear, almost every episode of that had mentions of CCTV.

31 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Another horrible unnecessary chase scene.  Don't announce who you are, just walk up to the kid and grab him.  He would have never had a chance to commit suicide.

THIS ↑

In almost every police/FBI procedural the good guys, but dumb guys, approach a perp and call out from a distance and invariably the perp runs off and they are in a chase situation. Also when the perps are getting away in a vehicle the good dumb guys never shoot out the tires and again are in a chase situation.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Another horrible unnecessary chase scene.  Don't announce who you are, just walk up to the kid and grab him.  He would have never had a chance to commit suicide.

If you leave garbage by the side of the road, it is considered abandoned property, anyone can grab it.   Why would a ransom left in a garbage can be considered stealing,  Maggie?

I remember a Law & Order episode started with the body being discovered by the sanitation police. It seems that the City of New York owns the garbage for its recyclable value 

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

He would have never had a chance to commit suicide.

That, and if they had chased him right up to the wall instead of stopping and trying to talk to him, they would have caught him before he climbed up on the ledge.  But, of course, he died in the service of the plot.

Why would a ransom left in a garbage can be considered stealing,  Maggie?

Because all the bundles of cash had bands around them saying "FBI Flash Money.  To be used only in hostage situations and drug buys.  Do Not Steal.  This Means You!"

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

The homeless man finds there's money in the backpack and decides to share with the rest of his fellow bums? He's a rare one! 99.9% would have been on the next ferry out of town.

Sam should have been shot the moment he turned around with the gun and faced the agents with it in hand. Way too much talking during that scene.

Of course, there was the rare chance the security guard got first crack at the take down and get the recognition for preventing a massacre but on this show Maggie and OA have to shine (step back sir)!

When was Dana going to tell Kristen the news? May 31st? It's a good thing she asked.

Edited by mxc90
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

The production is needlessly sloppy, things like the FBI not even gloving up when  searching the suicide kids room. You would think that after all these years of producing procedurals they would have upped their game not regressed.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 3/12/2019 at 11:10 PM, Dowel Jones said:

So Kristen the analyst is going to the Academy.  I wonder if she is leaving the show, because they sure dropped an anvil with her replacement.  Way to go, ubiquitous Asian tech expert.

I thought the "ubiquitous Asian tech expert" looks a lot like Kenneth Choi who plays Chimney on 911.

Edited by preeya

Didn't care for this episode and I did think it was funny when Dana said the judge John Hanckocked' the warrant. 

I thought the reason to kidnap Elizabeth and commit murder was stupid but then, people do stupid things for stupid reasons. 

Does this mean Kristen is leaving? 

I thought OA should have just shot him as well and kudos to the security guard for slowing the gunman down. 

EDIT: New episode Tuesday? 

Edited by Waterston Fan
  • Like 1

Why was Maggie given grief for taking the lead?  

Two guy go to a sex club and all they talk about are pictures of dead girls for weeks?

The mayor is more worried about tourism than capturing a serial killer? So all those crimes we've seen in previous episodes didn't disturb the mayor's concern about media coverage.

A lot of people warned that wife the guy was crazy/don't marry him and she couldn't see it until he drugged her.  She never thought to tell her lawyer about this.

I hope Maggie and OA washed their hands thoroughly after tussling with those two workers wearing latex.

Edited by mxc90
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

Why didn't they put out an alert regarding the use of the dating app? 

Why didn't we see Dana actually try to convince the Director of the FBI to overrule the Mayor's concerns?

I was sure that the brunette Maggie was somehow going to go undercover to lure the perp and become a victim too. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Why was Maggie given grief for taking the lead?  

Two guy go to a sex club and all they talk about are pictures of dead girls for weeks?

The mayor is more worried about tourism than capturing a serial killer? So all those crimes we've seen in previous episodes didn't disturb the mayor's concern about media coverage.

A lot of people warned that wife the guy was crazy/don't marry him and she couldn't see it until he drugged her.  She never thought to tell her lawyer about this.

I hope Maggie and OA washed their hands thoroughly after tussling with those two workers wearing latex.

I thought maybe the guy had called the suspect or gone to the sex club to let him know and then he came a few days later and that is when the suspect ran off. 

Mayor's office is so dumb. 

7 hours ago, preeya said:

What was Sandrine Holt's role in this mess and how was she able to curtail the Bureau's actions?

She was the Deputy Mayor, so she acted as liaison between the FBI & the mayor's office (the mayor being buddies with the head of the FBI, I believe).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

She was the Deputy Mayor, so she acted as liaison between the FBI & the mayor's office (the mayor being buddies with the head of the FBI, I believe).

Thanks.

I wonder how Bill de Blasio feels when he sees an episode like this? Maybe wishes they'd use the mayor's name instead of just referring to him as "the mayor".

I still want Dana as a boss.

I'm noticing how much people on shows over talk. Someone mentions several killings with the same MO and OA has to speculate that they're dealing with a serial killer. It sure seems that TV is writing down to a lower grade level than it used to.  Or maybe I'm just getting less patient.

• Love 4

I like Sela Ward as an actress, and she is a beautiful woman 

But the fact that her face is so frozen that her expressions are limited to that semi-squint when she is being “serious” really detracts from her acting. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Per TV Line, tonight's episode is the back-door pilot for FBI: Most Wanted.

Oh interesting& that explains why it was so fbi light. I've always liked the purdy that is Julian M  so that might be a good show to watch.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, rhys said:

Oh interesting& that explains why it was so fbi light. I've always liked the purdy that is Julian M  so that might be a good show to watch.

It wasn't....it was worse than FBI which has some problems to work out before next season. I cannot believe it is getting a spin off

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

It wasn't....it was worse than FBI which has some problems to work out before next season. I cannot believe it is getting a spin off

CSI had its day, the Criminal Minds spinoff didn't work and NCIS is about to go the way of CSI. CBS is like an aging sports franchise trying to rebuild on the fly.

• Love 2