Type keyword(s) to search

FBI - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

On 2/1/2018 at 7:19 AM, paigow said:

Assistant Director Goren??? 

Oh, I think character last names were clever in Wolf's world. Looking at L&O franchise credits, they were often taken from staff. One of the directors was Norberto Barba (the last name of the ADA on SVU) and another staffer was named Leslie Gyson (which was the name of Goren's shrink in S10 of CI), as just two examples. But I believe there may have been more.

Now, he's recycling instead! And, for the record, Bobby Goren wasn't the first time the name was used in the franchise. I recall either a victim or perp having the last name on The Mothership at one time. Think it was the early Greene/Briscoe era. Another was on SVU in S2, where the perp had the last name, a kid that killed his pedophile guardian.

ETA: Or are you referring to Goren from CI, somehow? Because I can't find any character names for this yet! But I'm dense, so...  :-)

2 hours ago, Mysteyman said:

Looking forward to this tomorrow.

anybody else?

Going to check it out, since I am a Dick Wolf fanatic as far as the L&O franchise goes. (Less so his Chicago franchise, so I hope FBI is more the former than the latter!)

Aired September 25, 2018

After a bomb explosion devastates a residential apartment building, special agents Maggie Bell and Omar Adom ``OA'' Zidan of the New York office of the FBI investigate a possible war between rival gangs

No fair having Dallas Roberts in the premier.

It was watchable, but not must-see TV, IMO.

• Love 1

How did she figure out that there was a second bomb at the beginning of the episode and why did no one else question it?

Is it now standard procedure to wait an amount of time before entering the scene of a bombing to make sure they aren't luring in first responders?

Was the first bomb of  the episode not the first bombing?

Intel/ chatter before the bombing?

Psychic?

I wasn't paying attention?

• Love 8

I get this was a pilot and it (duh!) deals with the FBI, which employs many people in many different jobs. But I was just confused. There were so many introduced at once and I could barely keep up before another person popped up.

At least with other Wolf shows, the leads and supporting were fewer (maybe minus Chicago Fire).

Will I tune in again? Sure, as pilots are rough. But in terms of grabbing me from the outset as the L&O franchise did, I can't say that was the case here. Maybe once the kinks get worked out, I'll become more involved. We'll see.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

How did she figure out that there was a second bomb at the beginning of the episode and why did no one else question it?

Pretty sure the answer to your first question is your second question:

8 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Is it now standard procedure to wait an amount of time before entering the scene of a bombing to make sure they aren't luring in first responders

—but evidently the first responders on the scene didn't get that memo.

• Love 1

I enjoyed it, pretty good for a pilot. Plot and investigation was interesting, and I liked the characters, minus the irritating blonde boss who fortunately will be gone after this. Loved seeing “Lupo” from L&O on here, interesting to see him in a supervisor role as Jubal. Only thing I was confused on was how they were certain the bomb was at the hall where it was, there were other locations it could’ve been as well. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

I enjoyed it.  Will definitely watch again..it's my type of show.

However I got lost right away wondering how they got to the M13 gang from the drug dealer and how did she know there was another bomb?

The male agent recognized the grenades from his Army service but somehow knew that particular type was dumped in El Salvador. I know what you're asking, "only in El Salvador?" Added to a Black gangster being seen as the primary target made MS 13 the likely suspect.

Why for a hit on a rival gang would a second bomb for first responders be added? Maybe the answer is in the second half hour

I missed the first two minutes, the initial explosion, started when Missy and beard guy were staggering around covered in dust. Did they both just carry on their investigation without even a pause for a shower? I would presume people in such proximity to an explosion would be sent to hospital to be checked out or at the very least sent home to get cleaned up.

I liked Sisto in Law and Order but the scene of him talking in that big voice in the control room full of big monitors to agents walking about purposely ugh, I dunno. Prefer a smaller scale.

Edited by fauntleroy
  • Love 1

I still think of Jeremy Sisto as Elton (Clueless) so it always throws me off a little to see him as a responsible grown-up. I like Missy Peregrym already and Ebonee Noel was endearing in the pilot. So I'll stick with it for a bit and see. This is definitely more of the "catch up here and there" type show though than a "must see TV" show.

• Love 1

Really had high hopes for this....but....pilot was poorly written and lots of dangly irritating loose ends with no explanations. I still watch , over & over, the original L&O ...writing is tight, good, and the backstories for the main characters are kept to a minimum.  No background violins and sad piano music playing every ten seconds. Will give it a shot and hope it improves...but....am sorely disappointed.

• Love 5

I didn't expect to like this... As I've never been a big CBS fan... But I really enjoyed it... I liked the four main cop ppl.. Always a Missy peregrym fan...sisto was commanding but excitable about new science stuff..  Zeeko was reserved but strong.. And ebonee Noel kinda stole the show for me as the analyst who also shares sisto's excitedness... I'll leave it on my DVR list for a while and see how it goes 

I found it a sort of ho-hum routine procedural drama, but it had its moments.  I'll stick around for a while, but I'm with shantown, this is "catch up here and there" and not "must see TV."

Some of the moments I liked was the female supervisor actually said "prick" on broadcast TV, the "White Nationalist" poking at Omar and Omar's completely unfazed response, and the mention of Godwin's law.  I also really liked that character quirk that has Omar taking out his frustrations by sketching during interrogations.  I am disappointed we didn't get to see his sketch of the nazi guy!

• Love 2

Ebonee Noel was the highlight of this show.

I found it too serious and dire. With my procedurals, I like some humour and lightness. I'll stick around to check out of Sela Ward changes the vibe at all, but I don't think it'll be my thing if the tone is the same.

Edited by threebluestars
  • Love 2

I always find when I read or hear someone say that they want "politics" out of their TV shows or sports what they really mean is anything that seems left leaning... they want it out of their face... And if that's how you feel fine.. But say that.. Cuz when I watch a show and abortion or taxes or states rights come up... I don't bemoan the more conservative ideas and whine about wanting an escape from them.  I say I disagree and keep it moving. . 

• Love 10
4 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I also really liked that character quirk that has Omar taking out his frustrations by sketching during interrogations.  I am disappointed we didn't get to see his sketch of the nazi guy!

I didn't realize that's his shtick. I thought it was just a one-off. That might keep me watching a little longer.

3 hours ago, threebluestars said:

I found it too series and dire. With my procedurals, I like some humour and lightness. I'll stick around to check out of Sela Ward changes the vibe at all, but I don't think it'll be my thing if the tone is the same.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. It needs a Lennie Briscoe or an Fin Tutuola or a John Munch.

• Love 5

How did that angry woman have a business in the South Bronx for all those years? And those 3 ladies didn't give her hell for that rudeness?

I like the woman in bed was unfazed by a flash bomb going off in her house, a raid by the FBI, and a spider crawling on her leg. That's not giving a f*ck!

I'm confused: Wilmer the handyman (works for Brick) received the bomb from Bernardo, Bernardo received the bomb material from Brick, so was the bomb meant to blow up Brick's rec center with him there? Or was the bag left there to be moved to another target? 

I hope Missy Peregrym is allowed more than one facial expression for the remainder of this series. For a second there was a smile but it quickly went away.

• Love 1

I sort of assumed Brick was meant to find the bomb as a cover - if I followed correctly think the white supremacist guy wanted the FBI to go after the Salvadoran gang to start a race war between the Black gangs and the Hispanic gangs.

Finding out the blond boss lady is gone after the pilot might make me try another episode, because she was the most generic and bland, but really all the characters felt generic and bland.  Pretty brunette female cop with sad backstory about dead loved one who works to avoid emotion, minority male cop who has to put up with racist suspects who also dings the former military bell, the younger mostly office agent who has to step up in the field, and that other middle aged white guy who was some sort of intermediate between the blond lady and the field agents I guess?  The only name I actually remember is O.A., and that's just because when I saw it written in CBS's description I found it an odd choice.  I thought most of the actors looked kind of bored, except for the younger black agent who defused the bomb. 

This may have some room to grow, and it wasn't stupid awful, but being meh might be worse than being so bad it's good.

19 hours ago, HeShallBMySquishy said:

I think Sela Ward is replacing Connie Nielsen, a different role in the same capacity, I believe.

I was waiting for her. I remember her on CSI: NY in the last three years of the show. 
Connie Nielsen is who? The blonde haired lady? 

I think I like this show but will give it more time. It was nice seeing Jeremy Sisto though. 

Edited by Waterston Fan
10 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

Connie Nielsen is who? The blonde haired lady? 

I think I like this show but will give it more time. It was nice seeing Jeremy Sisto though. 

Yes the Special Agent In Charge, she temporarily replaced Mariska Hargitay on L&O SVU many years ago. Dick Wolf does seem to be loyal to most of his ex cast members, or he just used so many actors after 50 plus seasons of content in the L&O and Chicago franchise it just seems that way.

On 8/19/2018 at 10:15 PM, shapeshifter said:

Tuesday, September 25, 9/8 CT premier date (https://mobile.twitter.com/fbicbs ), and it's now FBI instead of the "working title" of F.B.I. —maybe some legal hurdles crossed?

And no offense to Connie Nielsen, but I prefer Sela Ward (https://deadline.com/2018/07/fbi-sela-ward-cast-cbs-series-dick-wolf-recasting-connie-nielsen-1202432136/ ).

Even though that was my first time seeing Connie Nielsen, I thought she was okay. I do like Sela Ward and hope she will make things better. 

11 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

A: I was hoping this series would be like the original, "The F.B.I.".  Not even close.

I remember watching that as a kid.  It was probably Hoover's doing, but the agents were always shown as suit & tie, clean shaven, and very professional in that they did a ton of legwork to develop their evidence (sort of like real life).  It was a rarity that anyone ever drew a weapon.  One of the more interesting parts (now) was the explanation that "after the crime was committed, it was discovered that the suspects had crossed state lines, so the FBI was brought in."  Different times.

As far as this show goes, it's interesting enough as a procedural.  They sure dropped the relationship anvil when  Agent OA dropped Agent Missy off at the funeral.

On 9/25/2018 at 9:36 PM, ParadoxLost said:

Is it now standard procedure to wait an amount of time before entering the scene of a bombing to make sure they aren't luring in first responders?

Was the first bomb of  the episode not the first bombing?

Intel/ chatter before the bombing?

Psychic?

I wasn't paying attention?

It's pretty common in terrorist bombings for additional bombs to be placed around the target site that are timed to cause maximum casualties among first responders.  The US has even "borrowed" that tactic by firing missiles at the rescuers who flock to the sites of drone strikes.  It just shows that she has experience working in Counterterrorism.

As someone who quit Rookie Blue due to not being able to stand all of the relationship drama, I like how professional and competent the characters here are.  I feel like more media could stand to go the "Competent professionals" route instead of turning everyone into a 5 alarm fire of personal baggage like certain shows out there (ahem SVU).

• Love 3

Didn't grab me.  Watched about 30 minutes and it was a bunch of people talking, rather than scintillating dialogue, a compelling plotline, a stunning production design, etc.  In today's landscape (with brilliant television like (your mileage may vary) Bojack Horseman, Game of Thrones, The Good Place, GLOW, Veep, The Good Fight, etc.) I need more than competent television before I'll commit to a series!  I'd rather watch a comforting only semi-guilty pleasure like The Great British Bake Off or Skin Wars before yet another competent procedural. 

You know, I get why there's a pizza place near me, despite the fact that there are thousands of other pizza places already in the world ... but the same logic doesn't apply to TV shows.  They're all basically equally accessible, and we don't need more of the same.  I can imagine network TV trying to create something similar to a hit on cable (with the understanding that some people won't have access, sort of the pizza analogy), but there's no need to do the same old same as what's already on other channels out there.  The only difference is the name of the investigators' team.

Let’s see, creator of Law and Order vs lazy-ass CBS procedural writers.

Apparently there is this amazing new tech where you can create an accurate sketch of a suspect from a single drop of blood. And do it in less than a day. Riiight. Anyways based on this "evidence" let's drag in ginger rec center guy for questioning. Does he ask for a lawyer? Of course not, this is CBS America where inconvenient things like civil rights don’t exist.

Oh look there’s this kid riding his bike on the street dressed just like the kid from the rec center. That must mean he is MS-13 because the only kids in the world who wear white shirts and khaki pants belong to MS-13. Of course the kid on the bike has a black jacket on and the rec center kid didn't, but minor detail. Aha! The kid rode his bike past an abandoned building. That has to be where the suspect is cuz reasons. Let's just break into this building without a warrant so any evidence found is inadmissible in court. Oh yeah I forgot this is CBS America where warrants don't matter. Of course, MS-13 guy never asks for a lawyer either.

I thought since this is a Dick Wolf production there might be the tiniest nod towards realism, but nope. Lazy-ass CBS writers win again.

Edited by Rambler
I can't believe I wrote 'writing' instead of 'riding' haha
  • Love 6

Not enthused to hear about Sela Ward. Binged on some House reruns over the summer, and always found her rather unpleasant there. Nor did I find the blonde boss she'll be replacing particularly objectionable. But overall, this seemed like a solid first outing. I'll be watching again.

12 hours ago, ashleylm said:

Didn't grab me.  Watched about 30 minutes and it was a bunch of people talking, rather than scintillating dialogue, a compelling plotline, a stunning production design, etc.  In today's landscape (with brilliant television like (your mileage may vary) [...]

My mileage does indeed vary. There wasn't a single show in last year's new fall slate that became appointment television for me, and only one in fall 2016 (Timeless, which didn't make the cut for this year). Of what's on my watchlist now, there's only one show (Madam Secretary) that I consider genuinely great rather than just okay. And truly competent procedurals have become thin enough on the ground that I'm happy to give a chance to something that may develop into one.

Admittedly, most of what I watch is network, but considering what bugs me with most shows these days is the amount of time I spend rolling my eyes at the melodrama, I doubt I'd find much of interest in cable shows that promise to be BIGGER, EDGIER, DEEPER, AND MORE SHOCKING.

Obviously, my taste isn't universal. (Many will consider the shows I cited above to be justification enough to disregard anything else I have to say.) And if the drift in popularity is away from what I prefer to watch, well, I suppose that could be taken as a sign that I spend too much time in front of the television anyway.

21 hours ago, Mars477 said:

As someone who quit Rookie Blue due to not being able to stand all of the relationship drama, I like how professional and competent the characters here are.  I feel like more media could stand to go the "Competent professionals" route instead of turning everyone into a 5 alarm fire of personal baggage like certain shows out there (ahem SVU).

Sing it. While they've already taken pains to assure us that Female Agent isn't over her husband's death and Male Agent is still stuck in the undercover mindset, that's comparatively mild by today's standards.

I know I complain about this sort of thing a lot, but it's truly not that I want a cast of emotionless robots who never think about anything but their jobs. I want characters I can relate to and care about.

But that shit takes time. Let a show find its feet, define the cast by their actions and personalities rather than their damage, let them develop a rapport with each other and the viewer.

Then you can put them in mortal peril or reveal past sorrow and have it make a real impact.

(Only if done sparingly, of course. A character who bounces from one crisis to the next and will never find happiness that isn't dashed for sweeps week wears out their welcome fast.)

Edited by Emma9