Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E05: The Planetarium Collision

I think Leonard somewhere mentioned that the ground floor and first floor were one and the same, so apartments on the ground floor were 1a, 2A, etc., one flight up would be 2A, 2B, etc., two flights up were 3A, 3B, etc., and three flights up would then be 4A. 4B, etc.

Gah! No wonder I flunked math.

19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It won't let me 'like' your post more than once. What's with that? If I were her I would have slapped him after he mansplained mansplaining and booped my nose. And maybe filed for divorce.

She knew who she was marrying. Sheldon wants what he wants, when he wants it, how he wants it, and he's going to get it.  If she wasn't up for that, she shouldn't have married  him. For the record, I don't think she should have married him.

What bugs me more is that we're supposed to be believe that for the last 10 years, Penny has been walking up the same flights of stairs, probably 2 or 3 times a day, without knowing how many flights she's walking up.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

What bugs me more is that we're supposed to be believe that for the last 10 years, Penny has been walking up the same flights of stairs, probably 2 or 3 times a day, without knowing how many flights she's walking up.

I totally bought that to be honest.  For the reason mentioned above where the stairs break on landings on the way up so it's not like 3 straight flights of stairs but also because I think when you do something multiple times a day you never really think about what you're doing.  You're on automatic pilot.  Does it matter if it's 3 or 4 actual flights?  You just know it's a helluva lot of stairs when you're holding grocery bags!

• Love 8
Just now, CherryAmes said:

I totally bought that to be honest.  For the reason mentioned above where the stairs break on landings on the way up so it's not like 3 straight flights of stairs but also because I think when you do something multiple times a day you never really think about what you're doing.  You're on automatic pilot.  Does it matter if it's 3 or 4 actual flights?  You just know it's a helluva lot of stairs when you're holding grocery bags!

10 years, though?  She's literally walked up those stairs 1,000 times.  I hate it when they make Penny seem like an idiot.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Katy M said:

10 years, though?  She's literally walked up those stairs 1,000 times.  I hate it when they make Penny seem like an idiot.

I hear you, I hate it too.  Penny is one of my favourite characters and I feel like they throw her under the stupid bus a lot just to get a laugh but I don't really see it this time.  I think the longer you do something the more automatic it becomes and you just don't think about it anymore.  If I concede that this makes Penny stupid I've got to concede that it would make me stupid too :).

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 10
39 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

You just know it's a helluva lot of stairs when you're holding grocery bags!

I sure hope Sheldon and Amy move out before the kiddies come along.  Cannot even begin to imagine lugging strollers etc up all those stairs!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BlossomCulp said:

I sure hope Sheldon and Amy move out before the kiddies come along.  Cannot even begin to imagine lugging strollers etc up all those stairs!

Plus they will have to switch apartments with  penny and leonard  to have a second bedroom.

My wish is for Amy to leave Sheldon for the  geologist guy.  He would treat her with the love and respect she deserves.  

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Kanner said:

I agree 100%.  This is why Sheldon is my favorite.  For the most part his mistakes are never malicious (excluding him getting "revenge"). He felt really bad about it too.

His mistakes are always done out of selfishness or arrogance.  And feeling really bad about it is no excuse or defense.  He just has to get his own way, even now when he is past old enough to know that his actions have negative consequences for others.  

3 hours ago, wendyg said:

Well, *I* enjoyed seeing Bob Newhart again.

I thought he looked like the crypt keeper.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Newberry said:

I think Leonard somewhere mentioned that the ground floor and first floor were one and the same, so apartments on the ground floor were 1a, 2A, etc., one flight up would be 2A, 2B, etc., two flights up were 3A, 3B, etc., and three flights up would then be 4A. 4B, etc.

If one floor up from the lobby has 2A and 2B, what we've seen of the lobby suggests there may not be a 1A or 1B.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

Agreed!  I've been watching this show going on 11 years now and that's my excuse for why I didn't know how many flights of stairs they went up - and they show them going up those stairs fairly often!

I think the staircase flight controversy was in part a little Stairwell Farewell on the part of the writers since so many scenes took place traipsing up those flights that are, IRL, just one flight.

6 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

I did love Sheldon mansplaining mansplaining to Amy mainly because I have had the same thing happen to me

I didn't love it, but your comment made me realize that it was the meta of all mansplaining. 
Could we also say that the men reassigning Amy's life's work to a man was the meta of all "subsuming"? I'm not sure if "meta" fits there. Maybe it was instead: the subsuming of all subsuming.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I think the staircase flight controversy was in part a little Stairwell Farewell on the part of the writers since so many scenes took place traipsing up those flights that are, IRL, just one flight.

"Stairwell Farewell" ?

IRL, the stairs are a dead end...

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

I have often wondered if the landlord has to give discounts because of the lack of elevator access.

I have often wondered how he/she hasn't been hit with ADA compliance complaints in all those years.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, LadyKenobi said:

I am also sick of the term "mansplaning." It's unnecessarily divisive. 

I also don't think Sheldon acted this crappy manner because Amy is a woman. He just wanted his way. I feel certain he would do the same thing to Leonard or any of the other guys. 

"Mansplaining" is one of those idiot non-words like "rapey."

Sheldon acts the way he did because he's a dick. He screwed Leonard and Howard with the Air Force project when he went behind their backs, and he's acted similarly throughout the years.

• Love 7

I think the stairs thing is similar to taking the same route to work every day for years.  I know how to get there, but I don't necessarily know all the street names, or how many blocks per street before the next turn.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

According to nearly all of the online dictionaries I just checked, you're right; landings count, so it should be six, although most people wouldn't call it that unless they want to brag or complain about how many flights they climbed.

I hate it when dictionaries contradict common sense knowledge.  I'm a NYC kid born and raised.  My husband was a superintendent's son.  I don't know about other countries or wherever those definitions originated, but in the US a flight of stairs corresponds to the building floors such that from the first to the second floor is one flight even if it has a switchback with a landing.  So landings that don't feed out to a floor are part of the flight, not something creating 2 flights.  My husband and I are over 60 years old and have been all over the country and have never heard of each leg of a switchback being counted as a "flight".  I suppose the whole world could be wrong and the dictionaries right, but I for one would challenge that.

Also, here's another interesting tidbit about flights.  My 90 year old father lives in a building with 6 floors.  Recently he came to live with us for 2 months while they replaced the one and only elevator in his building.  I told everyone he couldn't climb the 6 flights to his apartment (he lives on the 6th floor).  One day Mr. Yeah No corrected me that there are only 5 flights between the 1st floor and the 6th floor (and his building does start on the 1st floor).  Now, I'm a pretty intelligent person and I never even thought of that, but after I did I realized he was right.  D'oh!

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Kanner said:

I hear you. If I knew Sheldon IRL I would hate him.  I would never tolerate his behavior, we wouldn't be friends, and I would never let him get away with the things he did.  But since it is TV, I allow myself to push that to the side and like things or not be bothered by things I would in real life.   Seinfeld was about a group of unlikable people but it still makes me laugh.

I mean I find the show funny at times, but well, as you said, Seinfeld can be acknowledged to be about unlikable people, same here, and when it's a little too annoying, well, here we are XD. Sheldon does make me laugh at times, but this was pretty awful. Well, annoying and eyeroll-worthy more like. None of this wouldn't happen IRL, though, so there's that.

I haven't found the show too enjoyable thus far. I still like it, so I hope they have a couple of memorable moments before wrapping up. My fave character is still Penny, and her and Sheldon were the best pairing in this show, so I hope they dedicate a couple of episodes to that hilarity.

Edited by displayname
8 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Sheldon acts the way he did because he's a dick.

In this specific instance though Sheldon did seem to genuinely believe he was doing something Amy wanted.  Yes he was wrong - and he did realize it once Amy told him, and,  for Sheldon,  accepted her reasons very quickly - but anyway in fairness to Sheldon he wasn't completely motivated by his own selfish desires.  Sheldon screwed up but  President Siebert was the one who should have told him "no this isn't how things work, go away you annoying little man".  I'm just hoping they fix this by next week,

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 9

Playing Devil's advocate: Maybe Siebert *assumed* Sheldon and Amy would have discussed it and that since she was so busy with both projects that she didn't have time to talk to Siebert about it? 

I don't recall the dialogue well enough to know if this explanation/excuse fits, and I'm not interested in re-watching any part of the episode except Melissa's bit.

• Love 3
Just now, shapeshifter said:

Playing Devil's advocate: Maybe Siebert *assumed* Sheldon and Amy would have discussed it and that since she was so busy with both projects that she didn't have time to talk to Siebert about it? 

My recollection is that Sheldon definitely gave the impression that this was a mutual decision and he was speaking on Amy's behalf as part of a team.  Siebert did express some reservations about making a change but I think it ends up that he will do almost anything to get Sheldon out of his office.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

but I think it ends up that he will do almost anything to get Sheldon out of his office.

Wouldn't you?  He is so rude and condescending to everybody.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

In this specific instance though Sheldon did seem to genuinely believe he was doing something Amy wanted.  Yes he was wrong - and he did realize it once Amy told him, and,  for Sheldon,  accepted her reasons very quickly - but anyway in fairness to Sheldon he wasn't completely motivated by his own selfish desires.  Sheldon screwed up but  President Siebert was the one who should have told him "no this isn't how things work, go away you annoying little man".  I'm just hoping they fix this by next week,

So? It’ll just be swept under the carpet like the Air Force project as someone else pointed out. It doesn’t matter if he realizes he was wrong, because what repercussions are there? None. Every bad thing, every over stepping of boundaries, every bullying behavior Sheldon has ever done in the history of the show and what has happened to him? Nothing. Reinforcing Sheldon’s belief he is god’s gift to the world and he can continue his behavior.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, thebigboot said:

It doesn’t matter if he realizes he was wrong, because what repercussions are there? None.

One pretty big repercussion is he knows how angry Amy is with him.  I'm not really sure what you'd expect to happen to Sheldon at this point as punishment.  He's not going to get fired, Amy isn't going to leave him.  What else could happen at this point that would be adequate penance?  

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

One pretty big repercussion is he knows how angry Amy is with him.  I'm not really sure what you'd expect to happen to Sheldon at this point as punishment.  He's not going to get fired, Amy isn't going to leave him.  What else could happen at this point that would be adequate penance?  

If I were Amy, I would see if I could get a research position at another university. That's not really a punishment for Sheldon, just protection for her that something like this can't happen again.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

If I were Amy, I would see if I could get a research position at another university.

I don't know if they will even pursue this storyline again but if they do I hope that Amy gets her original research back (she makes the point in this episode that she's been working on it for quite some time) and then if there's a way to do it that she takes it with her somewhere else.  That doesn't really punish Sheldon - more President Siebert really,  But still it would be nice if they followed up and made it clear that this should never have happened.  Somehow though I expect it will all get dropped.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, CherryAmes said:

I don't know if they will even pursue this storyline again but if they do I hope that Amy gets her original research back (she makes the point in this episode that she's been working on it for quite some time) and then if there's a way to do it that she takes it with her somewhere else.  That doesn't really punish Sheldon - more President Siebert really,  But still it would be nice if they followed up and made it clear that this should never have happened.  Somehow though I expect it will all get dropped.

I would think anything that she's been using Uni resources for and getting paid for to work on would belong to the university, and rightfully so, IMO.  Maybe if she could get someone else to fund it, she could buy the raw data she's already accumulated.  

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I would think anything that she's been using Uni resources for and getting paid for to work on would belong to the university, and rightfully so, IMO.  Maybe if she could get someone else to fund it, she could buy the raw data she's already accumulated.  

I know there was an episode where Amy gets invited to work at the university and Sheldon takes Howard's advice and tries to talk her out of it but I don't remember now if that invitation was to join them in work already underway or if it was a project funded by an outside source that Amy could take with her.  I guess not though as part of that first episode involved Sheldon being Sheldon when he met Amy's colleagues.  Oh well.  Still it would be good if they draw a line somewhere here and make it clear that the university screwed up and Amy gets reassigned back to her original project.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, LadyKenobi said:

I am also sick of the term "mansplaning." It's unnecessarily divisive. And I'm super-sensitive about demeanor and verbal communication. I think I've been "mansplained" twice in my life and it was horrible (once at a car dealership and once by an OB-GYN) but I phrase that as "These two specific men were utter assholes." It's been my experience that otherwise, what some women might see as "mansplaining" men just see as "discussing" or "getting everyone up to speed" and don't necessarily speak any differently to me than they would to a male colleague.

I think the term "mansplaning" is overused as you pointed out in your last sentence. That is especially true if it's a co-ed group. Also, if they speak to you exactly the way they would speak to a male colleague, then it's not mansplaning. However, I do think mansplaning exsists as a real thing. It's giving a name to a practice and experience many women have faced.      

6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

This isn't as out there as it seems. If another University really wants her, either because they want to expand the department, or they think her cutting edge research will give the University a reputation for being a place where new exciting things are happening, or because they admire her work, or becasue they've been getting complaints that they don't have enough women in STEM and know she is highly qualified, the University might be willing to pay for her materials. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

However, I do think mansplaning exsists as a real thing. It's giving a name to a practice and experience many women have faced.      

Absolutely!  I am in a female dominated profession and I get mansplained all too often.  It's a word that probably does get overused and used incorrectly but that doesn't mean it's a phenomenon that doesn't exist!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 6

Raj not wanting to share the spotlight with Howard makes a lot of sense.  Howard takes great pride in his trip in space and likely opens conversations with “I was an astronaut” and Raj was afraid he would take over the whole thing if they shared it.   It’s not selfish to want something for yourself.  

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Raj not wanting to share the spotlight with Howard makes a lot of sense.  Howard takes great pride in his trip in space and likely opens conversations with “I was an astronaut” and Raj was afraid he would take over the whole thing if they shared it.   It’s not selfish to want something for yourself.  

All of that is true, and in this case I don't fault Raj for being hesitant to let Howard participate in his lecture. However, Raj does have a history of not wanting to share the spotlight, most recently when Penny helped him discover a star and he acted like he discovered it on his own.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CherryAmes said:

Hmm, I felt like it was very clear in the episode that everyone understood it was a huge mistake and by the end of the episode, I just assumed that Siebert reversed his error immediately.  I would be more surprised if she isn't immediately back in her lab.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

I just assumed that Siebert reversed his error immediately. 

I hope he did - he was about to explain why it might be difficult to do when Sheldon interrupted him to go on the mansplaining rant so I wasn't really sure how it would end up.  At the very least there was an acknowledgment that a mistake was made,  In the real world there would be consequences if Amy wanted to pursue it - on a sitcom where each episode doesn't always connect to the next, well who know!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, LadyKenobi said:

This episode pissed me off because that shit just would not happen. In academia, especially the sciences, a researcher wouldn't be pulled off a project like that, without discussion, especially if she brought her own funding. It just. Wouldn't. Happen.

It would have made more sense for Amy to have been given an assistant because she was now officially expected to spend x hours/days a week on Sheldon's project instead of her own.

6 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

My recollection is that Sheldon definitely gave the impression that this was a mutual decision and he was speaking on Amy's behalf as part of a team.  Siebert did express some reservations about making a change but I think it ends up that he will do almost anything to get Sheldon out of his office.

Siebert also has to consider that Sheldon has the respect of the Board of Trustees.

13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I hate it when dictionaries contradict common sense knowledge.  I'm a NYC kid born and raised.  My husband was a superintendent's son.  I don't know about other countries or wherever those definitions originated, but in the US a flight of stairs corresponds to the building floors such that from the first to the second floor is one flight even if it has a switchback with a landing.  So landings that don't feed out to a floor are part of the flight, not something creating 2 flights.  My husband and I are over 60 years old and have been all over the country and have never heard of each leg of a switchback being counted as a "flight".  I suppose the whole world could be wrong and the dictionaries right, but I for one would challenge that.

The first thing I looked at was Merriam-Webster, so not foreign. According to them they get their definitions by looking at "sites and publications with wide national readership", including tech journals and comic strips. They don't mention verbal/everyday usage, so all it would take is a few writers at places like the New York Times and Washington Post to screw things up. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

"Mansplaining" is one of those idiot non-words like "rapey."

Perhaps, but, nevertheless, it has made it into the OED Online:

mansplain, v.

Of a man: to explain (something) needlessly, overbearingly, or condescendingly, esp. (typically when addressing a woman) in a manner thought to reveal a patronizing or  or chauvinistic attitude.

—whereas the only OED mention of "rapey" thus far is from 1425, when it was used to describe a dish made of figs, raisins, ham, and wine.

I was disappointed that there was nothing in the mansplain etymology that referenced Ricky Ricardo telling Lucy that she had "some 'splainin' to do!" since the word always makes me think of it, and the character of Sheldon is, IMO, at least 1/100th Ricky Ricardo.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, LadyKenobi said:

I am also sick of the term "mansplaning." It's unnecessarily divisive.

Indeed. Plus imagine if a men's rights lobby coined and propagated "womansplaining" or "momsplaining" (the phenomenon of women condescendingly explaining to men how to correctly take care of their own children). And it got into the OED! Not in a million years.

What Sheldon did to Amy was indeed condescending and assholish, but it was entirely due to Sheldon being Sheldon, not due to his gender.

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

What Sheldon did to Amy was indeed condescending and assholish, but it was entirely due to Sheldon being Sheldon, not due to his gender.

Sheldon did not cop to mansplaining himself - he accused President Siebert of doing that.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

And it got into the OED! Not in a million years.

The OED is the most comprehensive dictionary of the English language, so if a word is used frequently enough in the vernacular, they put it in. It's more about keeping a record than setting a standard.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

8 hours ago, chocolatine said:

All of that is true, and in this case I don't fault Raj for being hesitant to let Howard participate in his lecture. However, Raj does have a history of not wanting to share the spotlight, most recently when Penny helped him discover a star and he acted like he discovered it on his own.

While I believe Howard may have mentioned to the planetarium director that he was an astronaut right off the bat, didn't she bring up the idea about the two of them doing a program jointly? I was under the impression that it would have been a one-off only, not that Howard would become a regular part of Raj's show. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

While I believe Howard may have mentioned to the planetarium director that he was an astronaut right off the bat, didn't she bring up the idea about the two of them doing a program jointly? I was under the impression that it would have been a one-off only, not that Howard would become a regular part of Raj's show. 

I believe Raj mentioned that he gives the same lecture every time, so maybe he was worried that if the first lecture with Howard is a success, the planetarium director would ask him to become a regular guest lecturer.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

I believe Raj mentioned that he gives the same lecture every time, so maybe he was worried that if the first lecture with Howard is a success, the planetarium director would ask him to become a regular guest lecturer.

So, like Amy, Raj felt he was being "subsumed," albeit by by Howard rather than by Sheldon.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Did I miss something, or did the whole arranged marriage/Anu storyline just disappear this week?  Is it done?

Either that or the episodes were filmed out of order. You can never tell these days. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, CherryAmes said:

Or they just didn't think there was any reason to have Anu in.  There were lots of episodes back in the day that didn't include Emily or Amy or Bernadette for that matter before they became regulars on the show.

I don't think she has to be in every episode, but I thought it was odd that she wasn't even mentioned.  That's a pretty big deal in Raj's life, and he's the type to be in wedding planning mode 100% of the time.

I'm actually hoping the arranged marriage doesn't happen and this plot line dies off.  I'd prefer for Raj to remain single, and not some big rush to pair him off just because this is the final season.

Oh, and please don't let Penny accidentally become pregnant.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I don't think she has to be in every episode, but I thought it was odd that she wasn't even mentioned. 

When you are getting maybe 20 minutes of actual show I think it means they need to pick their lines with care.  I've learned that for a lot of the episodes there are whole scenes written, even filmed, that never make it to the screen.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, chocolatine said:

But the audience is different every time, so attendees wouldn't know, unless they came again. I give a talk-and-tour at my job, and I update the PowerPoint maybe once or twice a year, since the people attending the lecture are not the same each time.

Raj's gig at the planetarium isn't likely to be permanent -- shows change all the time -- but shame on him for badmouthing his own presentation so soon and then feeling threatened that a better presentation would, well, show him up.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, chaifan said:

Did I miss something, or did the whole arranged marriage/Anu storyline just disappear this week?  Is it done?

I forgot about it, and assume it's at least in part a time constraint issue, like @CherryAmes explained:

2 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

When you are getting maybe 20 minutes of actual show I think it means they need to pick their lines with care.  I've learned that for a lot of the episodes there are whole scenes written, even filmed, that never make it to the screen.

But, also, I'd be okay with

2 hours ago, chaifan said:

I'm actually hoping the arranged marriage doesn't happen and this plot line dies off.  I'd prefer for Raj to remain single, and not some big rush to pair him off just because this is the final season.

Oh, and please don't let Penny accidentally become pregnant.

. . . the Anu marriage plot left dangling for long-time fans of different stripes to write their own endings in their minds
--same with any Leonard-Penny baby plot.
But I suspect they will give the Anu plot at least one more nod--also the Stuart romance--because both plots introduced new characters that had more than one episode.
Or does that not necessarily mean they deserve a proper exit?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
On 10/21/2018 at 11:41 AM, CherryAmes said:

When you are getting maybe 20 minutes of actual show

It's been very, very noticeable in the past several seasons, and this episode in particular to me. I usually streamed the show in past seasons so I could see the exact time of an episode, and an entire episode would come in around 19 minutes...not counting including the swirly intros, the theme song, and end credits. It's barely anything.

Entire scenes feel cut short. Like two characters exchange a handful of sentences, a few jokes, and then it just cuts away to another scene. It's not like this on other sitcoms - The Good Place and Brooklyn Nine-Nine are superior (IMO) to any sitcom currently on, and episodes feel long. So much packed into each scene, wordplay and jokes, bits, not to mention actually good writing and character development.

TBBT feels very thin on all of the above.

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Love 9