Type keyword(s) to search

A Million Little Clues: Spoilers And Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

Check him out on Twitter. Everyone tweets at him about what a great job he is doing about getting the word out about suicide and how it affects families and friends.  REALLY?  What show are they watching? 

His Twitter is interesting. I saw him respond to one person who basically called Someday flawless. 

Speaking of his twitter, he posted that ABC wants 22 episodes for the second season. Unless the finale really is flawless there is no way I am watching 22 more poorly paced episodes. 

1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I agree.  I think this show worked best back in the early days when it was actually about the friendship between Rome, Gary, and Eddie.  Once they got away from that (which was the premise of the show), it started to lose its way.

I know that not everyone thinks this show is derivative of This is Us but I do think it is aware of TIU and it seems like Nash is trying to use the TIU playbook instead of inventing his own.  As long as he willingly remains in the shadow of another show, AMLT is never going to be the show that it could be.

Yes. Somehow he managed to take all the wrong lessons from TIU. That show was a hit because the characters were relatable before the twist was ever revealed. All Nash seemed to have taken from TIU is drama and twists. 

Edited by Guest
24 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Check him out on Twitter. Everyone tweets at him about what a great job he is doing about getting the word out about suicide and how it affects families and friends.  REALLY?  What show are they watching? 

Yeah, it's odd because I do know people who are enjoying the show and I don't fully get it? But in terms of their stuff about suicide, they're doing a poor job on the show actually showing the fallout from it. Unless they're trying to teach people the quickest ways to move on (besides with Gary, who is dealing with the effects of Jon's suicide the most realistically), then they really suck at their jobs. 

• Love 1

Well, after last week's completely different type of show, I wonder what we'll get this week.  A "Grey's Anatomy" version of A Million Little Things or possibly Law & Order?  I know we complained in the early days about plot holes and time glitches, but I miss the premise of the guys' friendship as the nucleus of the show. I'm tuning in tonight in hopes of a Katherine sighting (and not a death), but I don't hold out much hope for it going back to its roots.  😞 

• Love 1

I think It will be boring tonight with the fake drama of Maggies cancer surgery. I will hope for something else with it. 

Ron Livingston admitted the other “hit show” was something Nash was aware of and did have influence . I agree with all that say it’s the worst part of it though. It’s a mute point but I wish the suicide happened at the end of the season. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, debraran said:

I think It will be boring tonight with the fake drama of Maggies cancer surgery. I will hope for something else with it. 

Ron Livingston admitted the other “hit show” was something Nash was aware of and did have influence . I agree with all that say it’s the worst part of it though. It’s a mute point but I wish the suicide happened at the end of the season. 

I don't think the surgery is this week, is it?  I thought it was next week. 

2 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Well, not everyone...  (smirk...)

But, yeah, I'm sort of shocked at the love fest some people have for this show.  I mean, it is better than a lot of stuff on broadcast, but it still isn't great.  I have noticed when someone brings a very valid criticism up, it is not received well.  But, I guess that would go for any show.

What I will say, though, is that there are far fewer people gushing about this show than I have seen with other shows.  When I check in FB or Instagram posts of other shows that I watch, they tend to have 500-1K comments AT LEAST.  This show gets 100-300.  I do know that social media engagement is now taken into consideration along with ratings, so this might be why Nash himself is so...accessible.  

1 hour ago, debraran said:

Wow, I'm surprised anyone associated with this show admitted that--unless it was an attempt to grab TIU viewers.  

At this point in the season, I agree with you about the suicide (I'm not sure I would have said that earlier).  I also think that would have allowed a better build up of Rome's character--you know, the guy who is supposed to be the main character of this show--if we had seen Jon's and Rome's struggles side by side and then, at the last minute, each of them making a different choice.

Wow...22 episodes?  Sorry, but Nash had enough trouble filling up 17.  Heck, he had enough trouble with the original 13 episodes!  Of course, ABC is the network that seems to want its shows to pump out a lot of episodes, while it seems the other networks are more comfortable having more shows with shorter seasons.  Frankly, I think the latter is almost always the better way to go.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, debraran said:

You are correct.  I’m rushing it 🙂  next week is The Rosary. 

I think both episodes are going to be boring filler. Tonight is Rome’s brother and Maggie’s bucket list both of which seem to be a retread of earlier episodes. 

This interview with Nash when show started also talked of TIU

How much difference has the success of This Is Us made to A Million Little Things?

All the difference in the world. I had multiple networks trying to get this project, and I think while our show is unbelievably different — if only because it's about friendship versus family — what Dan [Fogelman, the creator of This Is Us] and the team did over there, there is no question that they have brought back an appetite for shows like this. In the same way Brothers & Sisters helped Parenthood, there's just a way in which our show was definitely helped by the marketplace. Definitely, a huge tip of the hat to the gang over at This Is Us.

I also saw a glimmer of hope about Jon being in season 2 a little.

How much of a presence will Ron Livingston be in the show going forward, especially as he stars on his own Audience Network show, Loudermilk?

He's in quite a few episodes in our first order, and there are certain episodes where it's actually better to not have him there so that you feel his absence. For instance, Jon was so crucial and helpful to Gary (Roday) as he was going through chemo in the past, so I'm writing an episode right now where we tell that story. I love Ron, and he's been so respectful of the show — he had to carry a lot of secrets because he needed to know certain things so that he knew how to play it. I would personally love to have him for as much as we can, but he has another show that he's doing. I think probably he'll be more featured in the first season, as that's the season where we're saying goodbye to Jon, and then in subsequent seasons we'll see what his schedule will allow.

Edited by debraran
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yeah, it's odd because I do know people who are enjoying the show and I don't fully get it?

Meet my wife.  She's a VERY casual viewer, checking FaceBook or playing games during most shows.  As long as there is a semblance of a plot, and the characters aren't vile, she's in.

8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yeah, it's odd because I do know people who are enjoying the show and I don't fully get it? 

Well, I'm actually the only person I know IRL who is still watching...everyone I know who started gave up when (and this is true) Delilah became too much.  The pregnancy was a big breaking point for a lot of people.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, debraran said:

This interview with Nash when show started also talked of TIU

How much difference has the success of This Is Us made to A Million Little Things?

All the difference in the world. I had multiple networks trying to get this project, and I think while our show is unbelievably different — if only because it's about friendship versus family — what Dan [Fogelman, the creator of This Is Us] and the team did over there, there is no question that they have brought back an appetite for shows like this. In the same way Brothers & Sisters helped Parenthood, there's just a way in which our show was definitely helped by the marketplace. Definitely, a huge tip of the hat to the gang over at This Is Us.

Seriously?  He thinks the two shows are vastly different because one is about family and one is about friendship?  Um, that's not really a difference.

That reminds me of those memes you see on facebook that have a dual color pie chart, say blue and yellow.  And they save something like "People who hate x team" The large chunk is blue and is labeled "yes" and the small chunk is yellow and is labeled "also yes, but in yellow."  That's what this is...

I will say that I'm of two minds about far less Jon in the future.  On one hand, I do think they move on and not get caught in the flashback web of TIU.  The dead guy is the most interesting one there and I'd much rather watch him that his awful wife or the woman who never actually knew him...

7 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Seriously?  He thinks the two shows are vastly different because one is about family and one is about friendship?  Um, that's not really a difference.

That reminds me of those memes you see on facebook that have a dual color pie chart, say blue and yellow.  And they save something like "People who hate x team" The large chunk is blue and is labeled "yes" and the small chunk is yellow and is labeled "also yes, but in yellow."  That's what this is...

I will say that I'm of two minds about far less Jon in the future.  On one hand, I do think they move on and not get caught in the flashback web of TIU.  The dead guy is the most interesting one there and I'd much rather watch him that his awful wife or the woman who never actually knew him...

I agree. I was commenting that I don't understand the bubble. You meet someone who has no past? You meet someone and his family is never mentioned even at funeral? Jon wasn't that old to outlive everyone. There weren't any sympathy messages from siblings, cousins, aunts, college buddies, business partners? Are we supposed to think even without a throwaway line that Jon just appeared at his place of business one day?  Are we to think that his suicide, jumping to the sidewalk below during the day, with people around and cars, didn't make the news and Internet feed?

I don't like how the financial end of Jon's business is left out now. "Implication" previously mentioned, means nothing, no one is calling Delilah about anything but the house, were life insurance policies given out?  Who is tidying up affairs at his place of work?

It's just odd being 2019 and on TIU, maybe too much with flashbacks and I'm no fan of future scenes, but at least they tried to give actor's a life. They tried to have you see them before and after to add dimension.

I agree, it can be overdone, but I don't think we got enough of a character that was supposed to effect everyone else in the group.

16 hours ago, debraran said:

I agree. I was commenting that I don't understand the bubble. You meet someone who has no past? You meet someone and his family is never mentioned even at funeral? Jon wasn't that old to outlive everyone. There weren't any sympathy messages from siblings, cousins, aunts, college buddies, business partners? 

On a broader scale, this is one of my biggest problems with the show. Didn’t any of these characters have people in their lives before they met each other? Were they all hermits? Didn’t they have any other friends? Why do Gary and Maggie have to run errands for everyone - for example, doesn’t Gina know anyone else who can deliver food to Katherine? It’s not like the guys were lifelong friends. They met in an elevator, what - a few years ago? They’ve all apparently lived in a bubble until they met each other.  This is bizarre to me.

• Love 5
On 2/16/2019 at 4:59 AM, Booney said:

On a broader scale, this is one of my biggest problems with the show. Didn’t any of these characters have people in their lives before they met each other? Were they all hermits? Didn’t they have any other friends? Why do Gary and Maggie have to run errands for everyone - for example, doesn’t Gina know anyone else who can deliver food to Katherine? It’s not like the guys were lifelong friends. They met in an elevator, what - a few years ago? They’ve all apparently lived in a bubble until they met each other.  This is bizarre to me.

I don't find it that strange. They might have only met a few years ago but apparently they connected enough to pretty much abandon whoever else has been in their lives since before then. If they mostly spend time with people inside their group, it could be kind of awkward to ask for someone else's help; my mind tends to work in the same way. 

• Love 2

Possible  spoiler based on pics from season finale...

It appears that Delilah goes thru Jon’s stuff and at a gathering with the group, the kids have things of Jon’s that they are either showing to or giving to the rest of the crew. 

Danny is giving/showing Eddie a hockey stick. Sophie is holding a picture. Then there are pics of Sophie and Delilah in bed in a serious conversation... and Sophie looking very serious. Maybe Delilah confiding about the baby? 

• Love 1
On 2/15/2019 at 7:59 PM, Booney said:

We saw in a flashback that they were already friends when Theo was born. I think Theo is 8 so they have been friends for close to a decade at this point. I could see them growing away from the friends they knew when they were younger. 

Edited by Guest
14 minutes ago, Dani said:

We saw in a flashback that they were already friends when Theo was born. I think Theo is 8 so they have been friends for close to a decade at this point. I could see them growing away from the friends they knew when they were younger. 

I think Theo is supposed to be 7, although he does seem older.

We also know that they met in an elevator 7 years ago and that they were friends when Theo was born.  So, I'm guessing that Eddie was already down the alcohol road when they met.

Honestly, I don't think the timeline quite works, but the passage of time and calendars are not things that Nash seems to understand.

24 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I think Theo is supposed to be 7, although he does seem older.

We also know that they met in an elevator 7 years ago and that they were friends when Theo was born.  So, I'm guessing that Eddie was already down the alcohol road when they met.

Honestly, I don't think the timeline quite works, but the passage of time and calendars are not things that Nash seems to understand.

Hmm, I could have sworn they said he was eight during the guardian discussion. I think it was part of the line about Katherine’s sister. 

1 minute ago, Dani said:

Hmm, I could have sworn they said he was eight during the guardian discussion. I think it was part of the line about Katherine’s sister. 

Well, I believe they said he was 7 early in the season.  Since 7 months have passed, it is more than possible that he is 8 in this episode.

3 hours ago, iwasish said:

Possible  spoiler based on pics from season finale...

It appears that Delilah goes thru Jon’s stuff and at a gathering with the group, the kids have things of Jon’s that they are either showing to or giving to the rest of the crew. 

Danny is giving/showing Eddie a hockey stick. Sophie is holding a picture. Then there are pics of Sophie and Delilah in bed in a serious conversation... and Sophie looking very serious. Maybe Delilah confiding about the baby? 

Link to pics, please? I can’t find them. Thanks. 

10 hours ago, iwasish said:

I very much doubt Delilah is confiding about the baby. Sophie would look pissed. They're probably just having a deep conversation about Jon but also talking about the baby a little bit and how the baby will change a lot? If you ARE right and Sophie ISN'T pissed at her mom, I quit. I won't watch season 2 (I hope. I give in too easily). 

6 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Link to pics, please? I can’t find them. Thanks. 

https://www.spoilertv.com/2019/02/a-million-little-things-episode-117.html

Thank you for the link.  

No pics of Katherine.  😞   I wonder if she's even in the last two episodes. On the official Instagram for the show, they rarely have pics of Katherine, but often have pics of everyone else.  Even this most recent episode they featured pics of other characters, but not Katherine. I feel like she is very much viewed as a supporting player of the cast. 

1 minute ago, cardigirl said:

Thank you for the link.  

No pics of Katherine.  😞   I wonder if she's even in the last two episodes. On the official Instagram for the show, they rarely have pics of Katherine, but often have pics of everyone else.  Even this most recent episode they featured pics of other characters, but not Katherine. I feel like she is very much viewed as a supporting player of the cast. 

She likely is. Those pictures are really only for three/four scenes (a flashback scene or two, Delilah/Sophie, and the handing out of Jon's personal affects). I think, because Katherine's scenes are mostly at work or with just Theo and/or Eddie, it's harder for her to be in the promotional photos. She's not with the main group, so it's harder for her to be in specific scenes. Which is why I suspect they will correct that for season 2. Either Grace Park will be demoted to a recurring character for Theo's sake, or they'll find a way to incorporate her more (whether it IS her working out her marriage with Eddie or whatever). And honestly, I don't see Grace Park being demoted. Nash has to know that she's a very likable character now and she's one of the more popular ones. I've seen nothing but praise for Katherine online, so he'd be an idiot to demote her and not try to use her more. With Nash talking about some new mystery for season 2, I bet my money that it's used to push Katherine into the main group more/

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

She likely is. Those pictures are really only for three/four scenes (a flashback scene or two, Delilah/Sophie, and the handing out of Jon's personal affects). I think, because Katherine's scenes are mostly at work or with just Theo and/or Eddie, it's harder for her to be in the promotional photos. She's not with the main group, so it's harder for her to be in specific scenes. Which is why I suspect they will correct that for season 2. Either Grace Park will be demoted to a recurring character for Theo's sake, or they'll find a way to incorporate her more (whether it IS her working out her marriage with Eddie or whatever). And honestly, I don't see Grace Park being demoted. Nash has to know that she's a very likable character now and she's one of the more popular ones. I've seen nothing but praise for Katherine online, so he'd be an idiot to demote her and not try to use her more. With Nash talking about some new mystery for season 2, I bet my money that it's used to push Katherine into the main group more/

The only reason I'm surprised/disappointed by this is that Katherine was shown as part of the eight in the promotional shots for the show. Oh well. Fingers crossed that Nash is paying attention to the growing clamoring for more Katherine (and Carter too!).  :) 

44 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Thank you for the link.  

This is my guess on that:  I think that the character of Katherine was re-written when the role was recast with Grace Park.  Park is a big enough star that she isn't going to accept a supporting role behind at least 1 actress with far less cred (Szostak, although I think Moses and Miller would both fall in that category as well).  My guess is that she came into the role knowing that, as of season 2 , she would be one of the leads.  Plus, look at social media.  Park is a fan favorite, not Szostak.  They need to keep her fans.

This also leads me to believe that the Eddie/Katherine reconciliation is coming (sooner than I would like) and we're going to end up in a who's your daddy custody battle.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Thank you for the link.  

Katherine is in the promo for The Rosary. She is crying and Eddie tells her she is amazing. Plus Hunter is in the last episode so Katherine should be in it. 

2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

This is my guess on that:  I think that the character of Katherine was re-written when the role was recast with Grace Park.  Park is a big enough star that she isn't going to accept a supporting role behind at least 1 actress with far less cred (Szostak, although I think Moses and Miller would both fall in that category as well).  My guess is that she came into the role knowing that, as of season 2 , she would be one of the leads.  Plus, look at social media.  Park is a fan favorite, not Szostak.  They need to keep her fans.

This also leads me to believe that the Eddie/Katherine reconciliation is coming (sooner than I would like) and we're going to end up in a who's your daddy custody battle.

I think so too. Most likely Park is the highest paid of the actresses and probably higher paid than some of the actors. It’s no coincidence that Katherine is the best developed of the women.

I wonder if the mystery next season will involve Katherine in some way. I just hope it’s not another mystery centered around Delilah. 

33 minutes ago, Dani said:

Katherine is in the promo for The Rosary. She is crying and Eddie tells her she is amazing. Plus Hunter is in the last episode so Katherine should be in it. 

I think so too. Most likely Park is the highest paid of the actresses and probably higher paid than some of the actors. It’s no coincidence that Katherine is the best developed of the women.

I wonder if the mystery next season will involve Katherine in some way. I just hope it’s not another mystery centered around Delilah. 

I also have a suspicion that, originally, Katherine was supposed to be the closest thing to a "big bad" this show has, which was meant to garner sympathy for Eddie and Delilah (Nash even said in an interview that Katherine had to take a hit in the pilot so that Eddie wouldn't look so bad).  Then, Park comes on board and her clout sort of requires a larger role...and then SHE is a fan favorite and people are not fond of the Eddie/Delilah pairing..and things start to change course.  As this is a network show, the network will want Nash to serve up what people want to see and if people were never gunning for Eddie and Delilah and are now gunning for Eddie and Katherine, well...

On a bit of a tangent, this is why I watch so few network dramas.  The constant change of directions that many showrunners feel obligated to do really hurts things.  In streaming, *generally* the season is completely filmed when it airs, so the shows feel far more cohesive.  Plus they can drop f-bombs and one should never underestimate the power of a well-placed f-bomb.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I very much doubt Delilah is confiding about the baby. Sophie would look pissed. They're probably just having a deep conversation about Jon but also talking about the baby a little bit and how the baby will change a lot? If you ARE right and Sophie ISN'T pissed at her mom, I quit. I won't watch season 2 (I hope. I give in too easily). 

https://www.spoilertv.com/2019/02/a-million-little-things-episode-117.html

I found one of the pics intriguing. Don't know what Delilah is holding, a ticket?  Jon is holding it at the airport. Another happy picture in corner of Jon, woman and male college friend

million little.jpg

Edited by debraran
4 hours ago, iwasish said:

Next episode some young guy answers Barbara Morgan’s door. Her son? 

Didn't think of that, was he too old? Have to look again. Couldn't be Mitch? Can't place his age.

I guess I never heard Nash call the show a soap but he did in recent interview about Ashley returning. That says a lot about how high the quality will go.

DJ Nash confirmed that you will be seeing Ochoa beyond this current season. He also added the following lightheartedly about the character’s current odyssey:

“Good or bad, our show is a soap. On some great soaps, things happen and people come back … We sent [Ashley] away, but maybe she comes back knowing a lot of Spanish.” “I think it’s a pretty safe bet to say that Ashley is not completely out of the picture,”

Can't figure out what else she can do but I'm sure he is figuring it out.

million.jpg

I guess I never heard Nash call the show a soap but he did in recent interview about Ashley returning. That says a lot about how high the quality will go.

DJ Nash confirmed that you will be seeing Ochoa beyond this current season. He also added the following lightheartedly about the character’s current odyssey:

“Good or bad, our show is a soap. On some great soaps, things happen and people come back … We sent [Ashley] away, but maybe she comes back knowing a lot of Spanish.” “I think it’s a pretty safe bet to say that Ashley is not completely out of the picture,”

Welp. I guess I should put aside all my complaining about the show being too soapy. It is exactly what they wrote it to be. I wish they had advertised it that way and also not use suicide as their basis for writing a soap. That bugs me.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Dusty said:

Welp. I guess I should put aside all my complaining about the show being too soapy. It is exactly what they wrote it to be. I wish they had advertised it that way and also not use suicide as their basis for writing a soap. That bugs me.

I was disappointed he thought of it that way.  I was hoping for a good drama, not a "Dallas or Dynasty" night soap of the past.

I like Rotten Tomatoes for movie reviews, they compile many in one area and MLT had a high score when it opened, I noticed it dropped and the word "soap" appears often. If you like that fine, but I think everyone thought it would be more like old dramas of the past or even This is Us with more characters. As one review said, we never got to know Jon enough to care, he did it wrong, but they can still make season 2 better. I do like Jon though, I just filled in the blanks myself. ; )

• Love 1

So the dictionary definition of "soap opera" is:

a radio or television series depicting the interconnected lives of many characters often in a sentimental, melodramatic way.

By that definition, *every* drama on TV is a soap opera.

However, I do think there are 2 shades here that are important, which I think Nash would be wise to keep in mind:

1 - Soap operas are ongoing.  There really is no *one* main theme or storyline and there is never an endgame.  By this shade, shows such as This is Us are not soap operas.  TIU does have an endgame (or so I've been told) and it is working towards a certain point.  AMLT...does not.  At least not at this point.  So, still a soap.  I firmly believe that Nash not only has no end point in mind but hasn't even figured out what he's doing next season yet, beyond the first few episodes.

2 - Soap operas are emotionally manipulative.  So, put TIU back in the soap category--along with AMLT.  These are shows that strive more for an emotional reaction from an audience than actual storytelling.  Personally, I despise this (but apparently not enough to turn DG off my screen).  

So, Nash may just shrug his shoulders at the term "soap opera," but I think he really should take more care there.

• Love 1

Re the 911 theories on Facebook and other sites,  I missed that the last painting Jon missed was of twin towers. 

I thought theories were silly at first and I don’t know tie in but it does seem like Nash tossed out enough clues. Painting, clock saying 9:11,jerseys with that number ,when Jon Met Delilah was around that time, keeping the boarding pass , the list goes on. Time will tell.

One fan said the album Sophie gives Maggie next show has a song on it about suicide called Maggie and the singers first name is Colin ( re dog) Nash loves a this stuff it seems. The playing with things this way.

there are also photos of “Nelson” pregnant at airport and Jon separately 

E2CCF58B-57C9-4517-A995-22C05C9F88E6.jpeg

Edited by debraran

So, I was scrolling through the promotional photos for the finale and stumbled across this one:

151365_5038_resized.jpg

Upon closer inspection, something is written on the back of that plane ticket, but I can't quite make it out. It looks like a name and a number. The name looks like it could be Delilah's, and that would make sense since we know they met at an airport and if the theories about them meeting on 9/11 are true. 

• Love 1

And....some possible spoilers for season 2. My hopes have been dashed now.

PJ could still be Jon's. Fuck me.

Also, what does THIS mean:

TVLINE | Okay. Is there any chance that this secret that Eddie is telling Katherine at the end is not the secret that we think it is?
Well, I mean, if you’ve watched 17 episodes, yeah. [Laughs] I will say: I’ve already shot this scene, the rest of the scene. When we there, even though at that point didn’t know we had a second season, I knew I had actors who are amazing. I took them aside the morning of, and I said, “We’re going to shoot this.” And they did a beautiful job, a really beautiful job.

Is Nash saying that the secret Eddie is telling her is about the baby? Or????

(edited)
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

And....some possible spoilers for season 2. My hopes have been dashed now.

PJ could still be Jon's. Fuck me.

Also, what does THIS mean:

Is Nash saying that the secret Eddie is telling her is about the baby? Or????

He really needs to stop doing interviews. It seems like he is cackling because he thinks that he is just so clever. 

The conversation you and I had caused an online frenzy. Many read [into it] what you did. I was talking about Ashley, and I think when we talked, it was before [Episode] 13 had aired. So I was factually correct. I would never lie to the fans. I would never lie in general. And then they took your article — you should know, it created a s–tstorm. It was incredible.

I wish he was a little more concerned with making sure that his show actually made sense. 

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Dani said:

He really needs to stop doing interviews. It seems like he is cackling because he thinks that he is just so clever. 

I wish he was a little more concerned with making sure that his show actually made sense. 

He's not clever.  He's LEGENDARY!

And yes, he needs to shut the fuck up.  Is it just me, or is he giving more interviews than most showrunners?  I don't follow TIU anymore, but I can't remember Fogelman talking so much.  And Shonda Rhimes just seems pissed off when people ask her for spoilery interviews.  And, honestly, I probably couldn't name the showrunner of most of the shows I watch, but this guy thinks the world revolves around him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

He's not clever.  He's LEGENDARY!

And yes, he needs to shut the fuck up.  Is it just me, or is he giving more interviews than most showrunners?  I don't follow TIU anymore, but I can't remember Fogelman talking so much.  And Shonda Rhimes just seems pissed off when people ask her for spoilery interviews.  And, honestly, I probably couldn't name the showrunner of most of the shows I watch, but this guy thinks the world revolves around him.

It does seem like he is giving more interviews than most showrunners. Even on the TIU aftershow the focus was primarily on the cast. I find it very strange that I didn’t see a single cast interview in the days leading up to the AMLT finale. 

So, apparently, DJ Nash DID film the Eddie/Katherine scene in its entirety and it does sound like Eddie does get the chance to tell her the truth (Nash praises Grace Park's acting so it obviously is an emotionally charged one). I will say, that is going to ensure that I watch at least season 2's premiere.

• Love 2

I really think I need to stay away from all press for this show. The attempts to create a sense that anything can happen is hurting my enjoyment of the show. 

I just really hope that the mystery for next season is not handled as poorly as it was this year. 

(edited)

There was a fight on FB by someone who is in love with Nash and was telling someone that her info on Nelsons baby wasn't accurate, she doesn't trust TV Guide and only listens to Nash's live chats. Is this real? I thought This is Us was heated, but nothing like this show. I feel Nash just talks way too much, he's coy, he has spys (his real words) on social media, mom and sister, to let him know things. I feel it takes away from the show. If he didn't give all the clues, the airport scenes, the 911 stuff, doesn't he realize that it would have been an even bigger season ending? Many felt let down but the ones who never listened to anything liked it more.

I think @Dani, you have an idea there that is helpful. We can't stop him, but can limit what you read.

Edited by debraran

I made a tongue-in-cheek comment in the Speculation thread that Nash has forgotten that Eddie is an alcoholic.  Once I wrote that I realized how many of his "spoilers" didn't pan out...and I don't mean they didn't pan out in a "gotcha" way.  Instead, it seemed like Nash just decided not to deliver on what he himself said (or what he said through the actors).  I mostly pay attention to the Katherine/Eddie storyline as it is the only one that interests me, but there we have:

• Eddie would struggle with his alcoholism (this was mentioned, what? twice during the whole season?)
  • Eddie would always love Delilah.   That hasn't turned out.
  • Someone would find out about the baby this season--although there is a possibility that DG said this thinking the entirety of the Eddie/Katherine scene would air during the first season.

Again, I don't think that Nash was trying to throw out red herrings or fool anyone.  I honestly think he just didn't have a plan for the season and kept changing his mind on what he wanted to do.  And it showed.

• Love 2
(edited)
32 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I honestly think he just didn't have a plan for the season and kept changing his mind on what he wanted to do.  And it showed.

I think you’re exactly right. So much of what was set up in the first half of the season was completely dumped in the second half and it was a jarring transition. I suspect that it will hurt the show when people try and binge watch over the summer. 

ETA: I do think that the transition could have been a good one for the show if it hadn’t been so poorly written. Instead of laying the groundwork they just started writing a different show. 

Edited by Guest
29 minutes ago, Dani said:

I think you’re exactly right. So much of what was set up in the first half of the season was completely dumped in the second half and it was a jarring transition. I suspect that it will hurt the show when people try and binge watch over the summer. 

ETA: I do think that the transition could have been a good one for the show if it hadn’t been so poorly written. Instead of laying the groundwork they just started writing a different show. 

You raise a good point that I hadn't considered.  There are basically 2 groups of people watching this.  Those who watch it week by week and those who binge it once it hits Netflix or once it is complete on Hulu.  Personally, I was annoyed at the nonsensical turns of the show (I mentioned how it really didn't make sense how Eddie and Katherine's story developed.  It seemed like a mouse in a maze who kept running into walls and then turning around and trying a new way) and I know from experience that these things are much more pronounced when you watch an entire season of a show in a short period of time.

I guess we'll have to see what the ratings are for season 2.  I am expecting to see a noticeable dip.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I made a tongue-in-cheek comment in the Speculation thread that Nash has forgotten that Eddie is an alcoholic.  Once I wrote that I realized how many of his "spoilers" didn't pan out...and I don't mean they didn't pan out in a "gotcha" way.  Instead, it seemed like Nash just decided not to deliver on what he himself said (or what he said through the actors).  I mostly pay attention to the Katherine/Eddie storyline as it is the only one that interests me, but there we have:

•  Eddie would struggle with his alcoholism (this was mentioned, what? twice during the whole season?)
  • Eddie would always love Delilah.   That hasn't turned out.
  • Someone would find out about the baby this season--although there is a possibility that DG said this thinking the entirety of the Eddie/Katherine scene would air during the first season.

Again, I don't think that Nash was trying to throw out red herrings or fool anyone.  I honestly think he just didn't have a plan for the season and kept changing his mind on what he wanted to do.  And it showed.

I definitely feel like Nash deviated from his initial plan for season 1 and that's why most of the season feels like a jumbled mess. I'm certain the Eddie/Delilah stuff was supposed to pan out differently before the backlash to the couple increased by the first episode. His plans with Rome and Regina seemed to change every few episodes when Gary became the most popular character. Sophie was a main character, which seemed to imply a bigger role, and that disappeared after episode 4. Jon's suicide was supposed to be a big part of the show but there was at least six episodes where Jon was hardly mentioned and they only brought Jon's suicide back around at the end (the Barbara Morgan stuff, for example, was essentially ignored until the last three-four episodes). 

As for Eddie, I think it's more that Nash doesn't seem to care about Eddie as a character. I guess, for him, Eddie's alcoholism wasn't important...nor was his singing career, hence him shipping him off and skipping ahead after his shows were done. I find that Eddie gets the least amount to do on this show, which is hilarious since David is one of their most popular actors. 

Essentially, you can see that the early episodes were made only to get the show on the air. Once it did, any plans that Nash had seemed to go out the window as his mind seemed to change while working on the following episodes. 

• Love 2
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Essentially, you can see that the early episodes were made only to get the show on the air. Once it did, any plans that Nash had seemed to go out the window as his mind seemed to change while working on the following episodes. 

The ironic part is that even though some of the story elements in the early episodes didn't work (Eddie and Delilah...), those were probably the best episodes of the season as they focused on the 3 men and their relationship with each other.  Once that went out of the window, the show went downhill.

ETA: About what you said regarding Gary becoming the most popular character.  I think the reason we saw so much of Gary and much less of everyone else is that Gary is essentially D.J. Nash.  In other words, Nash is writing himself into the show through Gary.  Nash can't relate as well to either Eddie or Rome, so we just don't see as much of him.

I may be way off base here, but everything I've read/seen/heard of D.J. Nash (who I hadn't even heard of before this show!) makes me think this guy can barely contain his own ego and we (the viewers) are all here to pay him homage.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

ETA: About what you said regarding Gary becoming the most popular character.  I think the reason we saw so much of Gary and much less of everyone else is that Gary is essentially D.J. Nash.  In other words, Nash is writing himself into the show through Gary.  Nash can't relate as well to either Eddie or Rome, so we just don't see as much of him.

Which is funny because Nash also included Rome, along with Katherine, as the characters he saw himself most in. But yeah, primarily, it's all about Gary so....

• Love 1