Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Buck Actually

Drogo
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

I hardly think they're the main focus, The next episode is almost entirely Hen-centric, as this past one focused on Buck.

Yeah but I guess I just had a revelation after watching this episode that I'm just not interested in the show anymore, even though I like the other characters. 

17 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

Except the old man wasn't crushed he was run over after his husband left the car in drive on a slope. Anton Yelchin's brakes were defective so the rolled even when it was left in park. Also Anton Yelchin was pinned to the pillar by his car not run over by it. There are actually probably several people killed the way the old man was every year.

The incident in the show was very much like Yelchin's accident - the transmission was not properly placed in Park and remained in Neutral, allowing it to roll and crush him against the gate.

• Love 3
On 11/5/2018 at 7:03 PM, SimoneS said:

The incompetent couple robbing the story to Laurel and Hardy music had me rolling. Awww, the store clerks are in love.

Did anyone else think the clerk made up the previous girlfriends?  I did -- I think she just picked two random names to get the tweakers to fight.

• Love 1

That was a cute episode, it felt like a Valentines Day special or something. I always like when the show ties all of their subplots together with a theme, like karma, family, or, in this case, romance. All of the stories worked for me, and I will always say yes to Bobby dancing around like a total goober. 

I knew as soon as we got the flashbacks into the elderly couples whole relationship that they would die, but it was still so sad, but also bittersweet. I guess, Like Buck said, thats the kind of love that people hope for. I've heard of people just sort of giving up and dying after a partner dies. Maybe not quite that quick, but television and all that. I also thought the store clerks were cute, and while Lola clearly needed to get arrested (that really could have ended badly) I still loved how she and her husband reconnected, and he played that great Peter Gabriel song for her! Midlife crisis are strange things! And we even got a look at the young couple in the hospital, who seemed to have gotten through it. I do always love when the show checks up on the people we met throughout the episode.

Glad that Buck met up with the Earthquake woman again, I definitely thought they had a spark in their episode. I certainly like her a lot more than the reporter woman, she seems to be a better match for Buck 2.0.

I didnt see Maddie/Chimney coming, but I really like them. If the show could just ignore Maddies crazy stalker ex, and just focus on Maddie rebuilding her life with a new job and romance, and working out some baggage from an abusive relationship, I would be totally cool with that.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Did anyone else think the clerk made up the previous girlfriends?  I did -- I think she just picked two random names to get the tweakers to fight.

Could be, but she was right on about him always calling her by the same nickname.  She knew him by name but not the girl.  And from experience in dealing with some of the types of people who are into drugs and "quick" crime to pay for them, it's very common for relationships to matter more to the females than the males (I hate to generalize, but the women are often buying the drugs from the male with sex, so they create a relationship in their minds, so they don't feel so bad about what they are doing, while the males literally see them as a source of sex and someone to do what they are told, rather than a relationship partner).

• Love 2

I enjoyed this episode, and I actually teared up when the couple passed away within minutes of one another. I don't expect that kind of reaction from 9-1-1! The show is a lot better this season than last, now that it is more character-focused and not just trying to bring the crazy camp every week (well, it's still there, but a bit more muted than S1). I agree, this felt very Valentine-y. I also noticed that the male couple's ages didn't add up, they should have been at least a decade younger, but I guess we'll have to handwave that. 

Nice to finally meet Michael's man. I mentioned in a previous episode thread that I was wondering where he was during the homecoming (?) photo scene.

Edited by Jillybean

Yeah, I was pretty curious about Michael's man as well.  He seems nice.  It is interesting that he was as dispassionate and methodical in his reasoning about that Lola/Norman situation as Athena was.  I am on their side btw.  I agree with everything he said.  As I was watching the Lola/Norman situation all I could do was roll my eyes. Do you really need to take over a billboard, tie up city resources , shoot at people (she is lucky she didn't get killed) just to work out your mid-life crisis, suburban middle class marriage woes?  I am so glad Athena arrested her ass.

But I digress...was Michael attracted to him because he has a type?  The no-nonsense hard-nosed type?  A low-key male version of Athena?

Also I loved the real talk about double standard when it comes to her reaction to him.  Athena is 100% correct, nobody would expect her to be warm and welcoming if it was a woman her husband left her for.  Her fake greeting was soooo fake and awesome!  LOL.  Also Michael being supportive of Bobby and Athena isn't a reason for turnabout in her case because we know he was doing it out of some guilt and the hope that if she moved on then he could feel better about how he exploded his marriage.

All that said, I do like that family dynamic.  I enjoyed the looks Michael and Bobby shared after Athena and the boyfriend started to bond over the wine.

• Love 8

For all the hair pulling and fist waving about Jennifer Love Hewitt she has played a surprisingly small role in the season thus far. I feel like we've seen very little of her beyond an episode or two. She has hardly eaten the show. I actually enjoyed the bits with her and Chim - it's a surprising pairing and it's been given very low-key attention. We got a nice break from the new guy, Diaz, this episode too. He's the one who has really sort of been getting a lot of screen time this season. 

• Love 11

I love Chimney and Maddie's budding romance. Their karaoke was corny and fun until Buck started having sex with the reporter in the bathroom.

Yeah, right after the two pledge to take it slow....Didn't see that coming.....

The ages of the gay men confused me too. Both actors looked to be in their late 80s, but the flashbacks showed them being in what looked like their 20s in the late 1970s....wouldn't they just be in their 60s today?

Being gay in the 1970s apparently took its toll on these two.

"9-1-1.....Norman, is that you?"

• Love 1
9 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Yeah, I was pretty curious about Michael's man as well.  He seems nice.  It is interesting that he was as dispassionate and methodical in his reasoning about that Lola/Norman situation as Athena was.  I am on their side btw.  I agree with everything he said.  As I was watching the Lola/Norman situation all I could do was roll my eyes. Do you really need to take over a billboard, tie up city resources , shoot at people (she is lucky she didn't get killed) just to work out your mid-life crisis, suburban middle class marriage woes?  I am so glad Athena arrested her ass.

Yeah, I kept waiting for the reveal that Norman was abusive, had cheated, left her with no money, something.  But nope, just whining about not being seen.  Girl, if you don't get some therapy or some hobbies and stop obsessing over 1st world foolery. If I'm ever subjected to traffic jams because of such nonsense, I'm suing the heck out of that person.

I enjoy the show, but don't have any investment in any of the heterosexual couples shown in S1 or S2.  The actors with the best chemistry seem to be Aisha Hinds and Tracie Thoms, and they don't get much screentime together. I don't mind Athena/Bobby or Maddie/Chim.  I just don't think the actors have much chemistry. Heck, the actors playing the store clerks had more chemistry in their two scenes than anything I've seen between the main cast members. 

I'm okay with Buck, but could not care less about his lamenting over Abby.  Hopefully, he's moved on so he can stop whining about it.  Loved how everyone was telling him he'd been single for months.  

• Love 2
On 11/5/2018 at 11:52 PM, AgentRXS said:

The ages of the gay men confused me too. Both actors looked to be in their late 80s, but the flashbacks showed them being in what looked like their 20s in the late 1970s....wouldn't they just be in their 60s today?  Loved their love story anyway.

Yeah, a little confused here, too. I thought the flashbacks were sweet, but they all seemed to be around the same time - like they jumped from 30'ish to 80'ish and nothing in between. Maybe they were already in their 30's when they met? Were any of the flashbacks dated? I was thinking late 60's at the beginning but I wasn't paying attention to the tiny details. 

I like this season much more than last, as well. FLOVE Athena & Bobby together and I like that the show is spreading out the airtime amongst the cast and not wholly focusing on just one or two people. 

My biggest nit about the show is that we do not have an EMT/paramedic team in the mix. I wouldn't want a hugely inflated cast, but it seems odd to me that ambulances are almost never present or working as the primary staff when clearly, IRL, they would be. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Lunula said:

My biggest nit about the show is that we do not have an EMT/paramedic team in the mix. I wouldn't want a hugely inflated cast, but it seems odd to me that ambulances are almost never present or working as the primary staff when clearly, IRL, they would be. 

I think Hen and Chim are the paramedics.

• Love 2
On 11/6/2018 at 2:03 PM, TVForever said:

Seriously. Maybe the writers can forget they ever mentioned a dangerous/abusive ex-boyfriend so we won't have to constantly wait for that shoe to drop, and we can just focus on Maddie rebuilding her life. I'm willing if they are...

I know...he shows up and goes Muhwahaha and crosses the street - gun in hand - and then a truck runs over him as he menaces the couple. Splat! 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, crowsworks said:

I know...he shows up and goes Muhwahaha and crosses the street - gun in hand - and then a truck runs over him as he menaces the couple. Splat! 

Chim tries to save him, but he's far too splatted.

• Love 2

So I guess I'm in the minority. I didn't really like this episode. I guess I don't care that much about Buck and his love life and the whole episode was about Buck realizing he's not Buck 1.0 anymore but Buck 2.0. And really who refers to themselves as 1.0 and 2.0.

I also thought it was really odd that nobody was annoyed that Buck was hooking up with the reporter that didn't care about the ramifications of airing the firefighters being high as a kit as long as she didn't have to go back to being a traffic reporter. I mean the firefighters could have lost their jobs. I really thought it was strange Bobby was OK with Buck potentially dating the reporter. I mean she was going to air his deepest secrets.  

I do agree that the earthquake girl is better then the reporter, but I kept wondering how did earthquake girl get Buck's phone number? Did Buck give it to her the day of the earthquake? If he did, that is so inappropriate and hello there's a earthquake going on not the time or place to give some girl your phone number. Also I can't help but wonder why she contacted Buck. I know Buck questioned her about it "did you only call me because I saved you?" However, you'd have to think that played a big part in her calling Buck.  I know I know the show showed us them talking forever and that they had a real connection, but I kept thinking what happened during the earthquake that made the girl go oh I need to call that guy Buck!  I get that kind of situation makes someone reevaluate their life, but I was thinking really almost dying made you want to call Buck? ooookkkaaaayyy

I don't dislike Buck; I just don't really care about his love life. 

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 5
On 11/9/2018 at 10:24 PM, ajsnaves said:

I think Hen and Chim are the paramedics.

Yeah, I guess. Maybe things are different in LA, but here in good old Charlotte, even if the Fire Department is onsite, there would still be ambulances. In fact, we have a fire station about a mile away from our house and there's almost always an ambulance parked on the side street next to it so they can respond together. Just seems odd to me that this show the fire department and police are onsite taking care of victims, but the ambulances (if they are there at all) are there at the end carting people away or whatever. Granted, I'm not an EMT and have no idea how it actually works, but when I've seen accidents or incidents, I always see them together!

35 minutes ago, Lunula said:

Yeah, I guess. Maybe things are different in LA, but here in good old Charlotte, even if the Fire Department is onsite, there would still be ambulances. In fact, we have a fire station about a mile away from our house and there's almost always an ambulance parked on the side street next to it so they can respond together. Just seems odd to me that this show the fire department and police are onsite taking care of victims, but the ambulances (if they are there at all) are there at the end carting people away or whatever. Granted, I'm not an EMT and have no idea how it actually works, but when I've seen accidents or incidents, I always see them together!

9-1-1 is not built on the heights of realism. LA City, and other local independent city fire department paramedics do arrive in the rescue ambulance "R.A. unit" radio call on LAPD based shows as opposed to a "bus" ambo" and other short hand in shows based in other cities. The ambulance is based inside the fire stations, unless there was just an earthquake. I remember a plot point on Third Watch when a new chief came down and forced the paramedics out of the station as that was firefighter domain. LA County Fire and in the  cities that  contract with the county for fire department services have the paramedic van and civilian ambulances as seen on Emergency.

Now they are not always together as the RA's are busy and there are relatively few fires and major accidents so fire engines are normally on scene first while the firefighter EMT, maybe a paramedic triage's and the city tries to find a nearby RA unit that is free to respond.

The problem for the show when all runs become medical at some point is that if you break the paramedics off then you do have Emergency or Third Watch where the firefighters are an after thought, just a strong body to help the medical stars.

Edited by Raja

It’s also the karaoke song of choice on The Good Doctor this season. 

Auggh!  I didn't realize that. Is FOX so cheap they can't pay for the rights to use different songs?  I've had the song in my head for several days now. It has to be the catchiest song ever recorded.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:28 PM, DearEvette said:

The way she was mashing those potatoes I sure did expect some hateration in that dancerie!

That was a ripped from the headlines recreation of a Canadian robbery

http://www.krbe.com/2018/06/29/watch-canadian-robbery-gone-wrong-with-a-failed-escape-from-the-ceiling/

I remember seeing the original and when the woman comes out of the ceiling she is missing a shoe.  I was way to invested in wondering what happened to her shoe.

One of my relatives lived on his own after his wife died.  He was in his 90's when he passed away, one of his kids found him sitting in a chair in his living room watching tv.  He was wearing one slipper.  The other slipper was never found.  One of life's little mysteries.

• Love 3
On 11/8/2018 at 1:30 PM, iMonrey said:

For all the hair pulling and fist waving about Jennifer Love Hewitt she has played a surprisingly small role in the season thus far. I feel like we've seen very little of her beyond an episode or two. She has hardly eaten the show. I actually enjoyed the bits with her and Chim - it's a surprising pairing and it's been given very low-key attention. We got a nice break from the new guy, Diaz, this episode too. He's the one who has really sort of been getting a lot of screen time this season. 

I agree completely. From the beginning, I've thought the claims were completely overblown and a little hyperbolic at times. I'm still annoyed at how JLH's work shirt is a deep V-neck and everyone else's is a polo, but I'm not going to throw a fit about it in every thread. :)

She was 'meh' for me at first, but I thought she was really good in this episode.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

For all the hair pulling and fist waving about Jennifer Love Hewitt she has played a surprisingly small role in the season thus far. I feel like we've seen very little of her beyond an episode or two. She has hardly eaten the show

This show has been extremely good at balancing the characters. I would have never thought that I'd see that on a Ryan Murphy show, given his tendency to have one or two characters eat up the entire show even on something that's supposed to be an ensemble like Glee or American Horror Story.

If the psycho ex does show up, I'm pulling for Bryce Johnson. Make it happen, show!

• Love 3
On 11/6/2018 at 8:02 AM, Empress1 said:

Chimney has a good voice! JLH has always sung (she put out some unsuccessful albums) and I feel like she probably makes it a part of her contracts to sing every once in a while, but I didn't know Chimney could sing. They sounded nice together.

I have an inexplicably vivid memory of reading an interview she did with Disney Adventures (mid-90s) to promote “Let’s Go Bang”... But since her music career is so rarely referenced, a part of me always wondered if I dreamt the article. 

I wasnt a fan of Buck 1.0, so this episode wasn’t my favorite. But I’m definitely digging the season overall. 

Edited by JeezumCrow
The punctuation was just too wrong.

My wife on Maddie/Chimney: "They are so cute together!" So that's another convert. Me, I'm still waiting for JLH to dust off the acting chops she showed regularly on The Client List. (A guilty-pleasure show, I'll cop to watching.) And if that's Kenneth Choi's real -- i.e., not dubbed -- singing voice I have nothing to say but ... Wow. More team karaoke, please.

• Love 3

Sorry to bump this thread, but I just had too (recently started watching this show).

That "robbery" scene was one of the funniest things I've seen on TV recently. Absolutely hysterical.