Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Buck Actually

Drogo
  • Start Topic

Buck jumps back into the dating scene but fears he will return to his pre-Abby scoundrel-ous ways, while questioning if Maddie and Chimney are more than just friends. Emergencies involve a woman goes to great extremes on top of a freeway overpass to get the attention of her husband; A couple are involved in a car accident on their wedding day and a first date goes down the toilet.

Um...how old was that adorable gay couple? Like, they aged really fast, right? 

(Also, not ok w/ that ripping that accident that killed Anton Yelchin). That whole thing was just sad.

I was so happy it was not the reporter when Buck went into the restaurant. Glad to see the Earthquake victim again!

Ruth & Earl were so cute!

Bobby - that is a lot of candles for a dude that caused a fire once. Just saying.

I was also totally expecting Maddie's husband at the end spying on her and Chim. Season finale, perhaps?

Edited by gik910
  • Love 18

What a fun episode! It totally made up for last week's horror. It felt like a Valentine episode. I wonder if it was aired out of order. The first rescue was hilarious. Athena's annoyance, Bobby's snark, Buck's unsuccessful attempt to talk her down by sharing his failed romance with Abby, the onlookers' snarky comments and cheers, and their reunion in jail. I loved the Peter Gabriel serenade as the husband shouted "I see the girl who..." Too bad Lola got arrested, but hopefully she will just get probation and therapy.

Athena is right about how unreasonable it is for her to be welcoming to the person her husband cheated on her with, but I was glad that she made effort. Of course, she was all in once Glenn agreed with her. Too funny. It would have been good if we had gotten more of the Mary J Blige background music. I liked seeing Athena and Bobby dancing and having fun.

I love Chimney and Maddie's budding romance. Their karaoke was corny and fun until Buck started having sex with the reporter in the bathroom. I liked Buck confronting them about dating. I guess Maddie is recovering from her horrible marriage so they are taking it slowly. I hope we see more of Chimney and Maddie together on screen.

The incompetent couple robbing the story to Laurel and Hardy music had me rolling. Awww, the store clerks are in love.

The love story of the elderly gay couple was so sweet and sad. 

I hated Buck and the reporter going at it for the whole episode so I was glad to see him having lunch with Allie. I definitely prefer her. She seems more together. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 16
11 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I liked seeing Athena and Bobby dancing and having fun.

Peter Krause can't really dance, but that was cute. 

I went "Aww" when the store clerk leaned her head on the other one's shoulder.

My grandparents were married 54 years before death parted them, and I was worried that my grandfather would go shortly after my grandmother did. (He didn't; he lived another six years.) I thought of that when the older gay couple died within minutes of each other.

• Love 14

I never finished season one of this show but I'm really enjoying this one.

I liked all the couples in this episode!  That's a personal first for me on any show...ever.  And I, too, am glad that the woman who called Buck about a coffee date is the one from the premiere.  

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Athena is right about how unreasonable it is for her to be welcoming to the person her husband cheated on her with, but I was glad that she made effort. Of course, she was all in once Glenn agreed with her. Too funny. It would have been good if we had gotten more of the Mary J Blige background music. I liked seeing Athena and Bobby dancing and having fun.

The way she was mashing those potatoes I sure did expect some hateration in that dancerie!

24 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

The incompetent couple robbing the story to Laurel and Hardy music

That was a ripped from the headlines recreation of a Canadian robbery

http://www.krbe.com/2018/06/29/watch-canadian-robbery-gone-wrong-with-a-failed-escape-from-the-ceiling/

I remember seeing the original and when the woman comes out of the ceiling she is missing a shoe.  I was way to invested in wondering what happened to her shoe.

• Love 7

I LOVED that the girl from the Earthquake girl was back. I thought she and Buck had a spark in that episode, and I definitely thought they had it tonight. 

Bummed we didnt see Hen with her wife at the end-everyone else had a moment with their signficant others. 

I really liked tonight’s episode. I liked Buck’s growth. He recognized what a cad he was and wanted better for himself. Also liked that Chimmy told Maddie he was okay with them moving slow. I like their budding relationship, its sweet. I know Hewitt doesnt get a lot of love on this board, but she felt natural tonight, like she’s a good fit to the show’s puzzle.

• Love 17
56 minutes ago, gik910 said:

Um...how old was that adorable gay couple? Like, they aged really fast, right?

No, it was just a series of flashbacks from their lives together.

28 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

That was a ripped from the headlines recreation of a Canadian robbery

I thought the "security cam footage" looked familiar, I had forgotten about that incident.

31 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Peter Krause can't really dance, but that was cute. 

Nothing will top his hilarious dances from Parenthood, but Bobby's dancing with Athena was adorable. Like she said, he's definitely a keeper. And I'd keep anyone who cooks for me.

Lots of good in this episode: I missed some of Lola and Norman, but the Say Anything and Psychedelic Furs references hooked me for sure. She damn deserved to be arrested though. And apparently she can freaking drink - 9 shots of Jaeger? I'd be dead.

Liked Bobby saving the day with the guy in the car, I feel like he sometimes just mindlessly gives orders. It was nice to see him take charge with authority and contribute to the problem at hand with some creativity.

Thank god Buck left Taylor Kelley and got back with Earthquake Girl, who I didn't even recognize.

I loved the Old Gay Couple, and I enjoyed the telling of their relationship through the photo book. They were both hot back in the day. Very sad they both died, but one of a broken heart is absolutely true love. It also feels like since they obviously aren't or were never going to do Buck and Eddie as a couple, they gave us this as somewhat of a consolation.

Maddie and Chim are sweet, but don't really do anything for me. Kind of boring and bland right now.

Had to laugh at Athena smashing those mashed potatoes.

• Love 4

The ages of the gay men confused me too. Both actors looked to be in their late 80s, but the flashbacks showed them being in what looked like their 20s in the late 1970s....wouldn't they just be in their 60s today?  Loved their love story anyway.

Love Athena and Bobby. And she is absolutely right about the hypocrisy of having to be nice to Micheal's partner just because he's a man.....I'm glad they got along, though. It makes sense that they would think alike, some people just have a type.

Maddie and Chimney are cute and JLH is settling in nicely in this series...

• Love 14

I just realized that 9-1-1 has become one of my favorite shows. I look forward to watching it every week. This is so surprising because I disliked it so much last season. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

Lots of good in this episode: I missed some of Lola and Norman, but the Say Anything and Psychedelic Furs references hooked me for sure. She damn deserved to be arrested though. And apparently she can freaking drink - 9 shots of Jaeger? I'd be dead.

Don't forget The Cure reference too. :) 

I loved the older couple, but such a sad ending. At least they went (almost) together. 

I'm always here for Peter Krause dancing awkwardly. He's the best at white dad-dancing. 

• Love 13
8 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Chimney has a good voice! JLH has always sung (she put out some unsuccessful albums) and I feel like she probably makes it a part of her contracts to sing every once in a while, but I didn't know Chimney could sing. They sounded nice together.

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, Empress1 said:
9 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Chimney has a good voice! JLH has always sung (she put out some unsuccessful albums) and I feel like she probably makes it a part of her contracts to sing every once in a while, but I didn't know Chimney could sing. They sounded nice together.

I like the whole ensemble but Chimney is my favorite. He is such a great catch. I enjoy watching him and Maddie's relationship develop too.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, gik910 said:

Um...how old was that adorable gay couple? Like, they aged really fast, right? (Also, not ok w/ that ripping that accident that killed Anton Yelchin). That whole thing was just sad.

I was so happy it was not the reporter when Buck went into the restaurant. Glad to see the Earthquake victim again!

Ruth & Earl were so cute!

Bobby - that is a lot of candles for a dude that cause a fire once. Just saying.

I was also totally expecting Maddie's husband at the end spying on her and Chim. Season finale, perhaps?

Anton is not the only person to die that way. In fact, the specifics are different. They weren't aping anything.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

It also feels like since they obviously aren't or were never going to do Buck and Eddie as a couple, they gave us this as somewhat of a consolation.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one hoping for that.  I started this season before binging last season a few weeks ago, I was convinced that’s where they were going.  And I refuse to change my mind.

The older gay coupled reminded me of an episode of Dead Like Me.  I think it involved Mason and a gay man who couldn’t live without his recently deceased partner so he committed suicide.  I think I cried a bit there too. 

I think this is my favorite episode of the season so far.  It had crazy calls. And fun personal stuff for the staff.  Only thing I would want is more Eddie. (In an ambulance with Buck.)

• Love 6
5 hours ago, llewis823 said:

I like the whole ensemble but Chimney is my favorite. He is such a great catch. I enjoy watching him and Maddie's relationship develop too.

Seriously. Maybe the writers can forget they ever mentioned a dangerous/abusive ex-boyfriend so we won't have to constantly wait for that shoe to drop, and we can just focus on Maddie rebuilding her life. I'm willing if they are...

• Love 8

Two things: How likely is it that Bobby's crew seems to show up at almost every case where Athena is working? I mean, maybe they both cover the same specific area, but LA is an awfully big place, and it seems absurd that the same fire station crew arrives wherever Athena happens to be.

Also, I cannot think of anything less sexy or less appealing than sex in a public restroom stall. Just . . . ick.

The ages of the gay men confused me too. Both actors looked to be in their late 80s, but the flashbacks showed them being in what looked like their 20s in the late 1970s....wouldn't they just be in their 60s today?

I agree it was kind of a casting fail. I don't think the casting department really did the math on this when they chose the actors. Or else the casting people are so young anyone over 60 looks the same to them.

Bobby - that is a lot of candles for a dude that caused a fire once. Just saying.

Bwah!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

The ages of the gay men confused me too. Both actors looked to be in their late 80s, but the flashbacks showed them being in what looked like their 20s in the late 1970s....wouldn't they just be in their 60s today?  Loved their love story anyway.

I know right.  I was doing math in the air, like.... if it is 2018 right now and they are dancing at a disco then it had to be at the earliest 1973?  And they look about 20s, let's fudge it up and say 25.  Then if we subtract the ....hmmm... and carry the 1 then.... .. yeah still can't make the age as old as they looked.  LOL.

I am really enjoying the different couples on the show, they each have their own flavor.  Bobby and Athena are new but mature about it, he's basically slid into her family all comfy like and they have nice, subtle PDAs during work hours.  Maddie and Chimney are cute.  Hen and Karen are solid.  And Buck realized that Taylor Kelly (thank God!) is not good for Buck 2.0 and he and Earthquake girl seem like they had one of those dates where the conversation is so great you can't tear yourself away.  I liked seeing all the different couples of the week as well.  And was so happy the newlyweds lived!   agree this felt like it would have been a great fit for a Valentine's Day ep.

This is one of those shows that has found its groove late in S1 and now it is really strong in S2.

• Love 5

I was doing math in the air, like.... if it is 2018 right now and they are dancing at a disco then it had to be at the earliest 1973?  And they look about 20s, let's fudge it up and say 25.  Then if we subtract the ....hmmm... and carry the 1 then.... .. yeah still can't make the age as old as they looked. 

Let's say they were 25 in 1973 (and we're being as liberal as possible with this timeline - could be younger at a later year) - that would make them 70 today. Both actors looked older than 70 to me.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, gik910 said:

Also, not ok w/ that ripping that accident that killed Anton Yelchin). That whole thing was just sad.

16 hours ago, SimoneS said:

That is why the runaway car seemed familiar. Yelchin's death was tragic.

3 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Anton is not the only person to die that way. In fact, the specifics are different. They weren't aping anything.

Well, that's what immediately came to my mind, as well.  It's pretty damn close to the reports I read.  Death by being crushed is horrific.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Let's say they were 25 in 1973 (and we're being as liberal as possible with this timeline - could be younger at a later year) - that would make them 70 today. Both actors looked older than 70 to me.

I looked them both up, the actors are 77 and 79 IRL.  If they met in the mid 70s then they'd have to have been at least 33-36.  The problem is the younger era actors looked barely in their 20s.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TVForever said:

Seriously. Maybe the writers can forget they ever mentioned a dangerous/abusive ex-boyfriend so we won't have to constantly wait for that shoe to drop, and we can just focus on Maddie rebuilding her life. I'm willing if they are...

Or if we can't have that just make it one episode.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I looked them both up, the actors are 77 and 79 IRL.  If they met in the mid 70s then they'd have to have been at least 33-36.  The problem is the younger era actors looked barely in their 20s.

Yeah, that makes sense. It kind of bugged me that they looked pretty old for guys that should have been late 60's or thereabouts, especially considering they were clearly a wealthy couple. I would have bought it more if the flashbacks were taking place in the mid-1960's.

Anyway, I loved the romantic comedy themeing of this episode.

• Love 3

Maybe, but I too though immediately of Anton Yelchin, as soon as I saw the gear shift slip into neutral and heard one of the men say he was fetching the paper. That's a little too recent and a little too high-profile to be a coincidence, I think. At the very least they had to know people would make that connection.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

How likely is it that Bobby's crew seems to show up at almost every case where Athena is working? I mean, maybe they both cover the same specific area, but LA is an awfully big place, and it seems absurd that the same fire station crew arrives wherever Athena happens to be.

Some of it is probably because they cover the same area of the city, but some of it is the old Adam-12 effect - no matter what the call, or where it happens, the same group of officers/firefighters show up, since they are the main characters of the show.  I can handwave that away - it lets them show a variety of calls while not trying to deal with a huge cast of characters.

• Love 7

This definitely felt like a Valentines episode in November. Or the episode just focused more on romance this episode, and it worked for me.

7 hours ago, Racj82 said:

True, but Anton's death is the first thing I thought of when I saw this story play out the way it did. Of course it didn't have the same circumstances, but the brutality of the death is what got me. Being crushed by your vehicle into a security fence because of the shift gear not being in park is what reminded me of Anton's tragic death. I'd say, at the least, they were thinking of that death when they wrote this death. 

The story with the couple was definitely sweet up until that point, and then it was tragic. At least they got to be together. 

Maddie/Chimney works really well. I'm glad this show isn't afraid to explore the most unlikely of couples, at least for TV standards. 

Athena and Bobby worked fairly well, and is this the first time we've met Michael's boyfriend? He seems nice and it was cool to see him bonding with Athena. 

Oh, thank god Buck 2.0 didn't end up with Reporter Lady. I don't like Reporter Lady but wouldn't mind her showing up once in a while as an antagonist. We get Earthquake Lady instead and she fits better with Buck, at least for now.

I don't think Eddie said more than one line and appeared in more than two scenes this episode. Huh.

• Love 7

Earthquake Girl’s kicky red skirt, while appearing to be difficult to sit delicately in, was adorable and I want it in my closet.

I loved this ep. It got back to the batshit craziness that made the first season so fun, with the exception of the sad death, obvs.

I loved at the end that the newly married couple even got a little update. 

Now women can have babies safely up to around age 40ish, but I had my son at 23 and often forget that many women are older when they have kids.  So when Norman was reminiscing about seeing “Say Anything” and Lola mentioned that their kid was 18 I was trying (much like trying to figure out the age of Mitchell and Thomas) to figure out how to make the math work for Lola to have a kid born in 2000.  But if she was say, 18 in 1988, then she would have had a kid at 30.  And that’s enough math trying to figure out the ages of fictional characters, thank you very much.

Also I’m pretty sure Daniel Roebuck is my age or a couple of years older which still would have made the math work.

Ugh dumb ol’ Maddie is really growing on me.  She and Chim are so cute together.

Wait if Buck’s last name is Buckley what is his real first name?

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, starri said:

Evan.

Thanks!  I don’t remember ever hearing that.

Oliver has this quirk of his where he hangs his head like a Labrador and it’s very strange.  Makes me think Buck has some sort of spinal condition.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Maybe, but I too though immediately of Anton Yelchin, as soon as I saw the gear shift slip into neutral and heard one of the men say he was fetching the paper. That's a little too recent and a little too high-profile to be a coincidence, I think. At the very least they had to know people would make that connection.

I had no idea who the person was who was being discussed (Yelchin), and had heard nothing of a celebrity death like that.  I looked him up on Wikipedia, and learned that it's more than 2 years ago that this happened.  I don't think that's too recent, all things considered, and while I'm not interested in Star Trek reboots (making me a minority?), I don't think that makes him so famous that we should all immediately jump to him.  The original cast is that famous, but I don't even think the TV sequels have casts as famous as all that (and I did watch 3 of the 5 sequel shows).  So while looking at the posts, I might be the only one who didn't make the connection here, I don't know that the average viewer would necessarily jump to it either.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I had no idea who the person was who was being discussed (Yelchin), and had heard nothing of a celebrity death like that.  I looked him up on Wikipedia, and learned that it's more than 2 years ago that this happened.  I don't think that's too recent, all things considered, and while I'm not interested in Star Trek reboots (making me a minority?), I don't think that makes him so famous that we should all immediately jump to him.  The original cast is that famous, but I don't even think the TV sequels have casts as famous as all that (and I did watch 3 of the 5 sequel shows).  So while looking at the posts, I might be the only one who didn't make the connection here, I don't know that the average viewer would necessarily jump to it either.

The average viewer might not recognize some of these connections. For example, some people might not have connected this episode's convenience store robbery with one that happened in Canada a while back (woman tried to escape through the back, couldn't, climbed into the vents and then fell from the ceiling). I'm sure there are stories from this show, and others, that are supposed to be Easter Eggs, of sort, that I don't put two-and-two together with.

I think, with Yelchin's death, it was a celebrity death that was so different. Typically, when a celebrity dies, especially one as young as Yelchin, it's usually due to a drug overdose or an illness of some sort. His death was a freak accident because of mechanical failure plus it was brutal. The average viewer may not have picked up on it, but it was in the news so I think people would recognize the story. 

Like I said, it wasn't necessarily something that was a direct connection, but rather an (unfortunate) inspiration that viewers may or may not pick up on. It's ok that you didn't pick up on it. But for the people who did, I think it was a callout to that unfortunate celebrity death. Not much in shows, especially procedurals which draw on cases of the week, are original anymore. They all draw inspiration from something.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Two things: How likely is it that Bobby's crew seems to show up at almost every case where Athena is working? I mean, maybe they both cover the same specific area, but LA is an awfully big place, and it seems absurd that the same fire station crew arrives wherever Athena happens to be.

I had to check, 106 LAFD Stations and 21 LAPD Division areas. As a field supervisor it would be more like her showing up at something out of the ordinary that the LAFD is handling as her basic patrol/supervisory area would be larger but the firefighters could be covering for other units already committed to something. Sort of like Emergency when it seemed first as Sheriff's Deputy, then suburban police officer Vince was almost always on the scene when Gage and DeSoto's Station 51 went all over the county.

8 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Well, that's what immediately came to my mind, as well.  It's pretty damn close to the reports I read.  Death by being crushed is horrific.  

Except the old man wasn't crushed he was run over after his husband left the car in drive on a slope. Anton Yelchin's brakes were defective so the rolled even when it was left in park. Also Anton Yelchin was pinned to the pillar by his car not run over by it. There are actually probably several people killed the way the old man was every year.

The show uses events from real life. I'm sure the girl who actually fell from that ceiling never found it funny. She also probably wouldn't appreciate the show poking fun. I think the ripped from real life aspect is part of the show and it seems odd to single out the one example. I feel like this might be more of the case of the show not being in your taste rather than the show actually did something offensive.

35 minutes ago, Emily Thrace said:

Except the old man wasn't crushed he was run over after his husband left the car in drive on a slope. Anton Yelchin's brakes were defective so the rolled even when it was left in park. Also Anton Yelchin was pinned to the pillar by his car not run over by it. There are actually probably several people killed the way the old man was every year.

The show uses events from real life. I'm sure the girl who actually fell from that ceiling never found it funny. She also probably wouldn't appreciate the show poking fun. I think the ripped from real life aspect is part of the show and it seems odd to single out the one example. I feel like this might be more of the case of the show not being in your taste rather than the show actually did something offensive.

I thought he was crushed against the gate.

As for the girl, IMO, if you are a stupid criminal, you deserve ridicule.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Reality police said:

I thought he was crushed against the gate.

As for the girl, IMO, if you are a stupid criminal, you deserve ridicule.

If he had been crushed against the gate his body wouldn't have been half way up the drive. Also the gate was undamaged and the car probably would have blown right through it.  It seemed to me like the car ran him over and stopped because he jammed up the wheel.

The girl is a person though is my point. A lot of the stories on this show are borrowed from real life.  Cherry picking one story seems like you are saying because this story happened to a young (not too mention white male) celebrity it matters more than the guy who was crushed by a malfunctioning escalator in real life. Or any of the multitude of other people's stories the show has dramatised.

7 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Some of it is probably because they cover the same area of the city, but some of it is the old Adam-12 effect - no matter what the call, or where it happens, the same group of officers/firefighters show up, since they are the main characters of the show.  I can handwave that away - it lets them show a variety of calls while not trying to deal with a huge cast of characters.

If I have a gripe about this convention, it's that Athena is essentially the only cop in the district. The 911 operator being the only 911 operator we saw is ok, but why is there only one recurring cop?

4 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

If he had been crushed against the gate his body wouldn't have been half way up the drive. Also the gate was undamaged and the car probably would have blown right through it.  It seemed to me like the car ran him over and stopped because he jammed up the wheel.

His body was halfway up the drive because we saw the aftermath of the firemen getting the car off him and putting him on the board.

When they showed the other guy on the phone he was standing next to his husband, who was on his feet up against the gate with the car holding him up.  

He was standing at the gate when the Jeep hit him. 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

I'm sure you're right.  TBH, I covered my eyes and couldn't watch the actual accident because as soon as that car started rolling and I saw the gate I couldn't watch it.  For me, Anton Yelchin's death was especially horrific because it was a freak accident, he was so young and he was just starting to really get to be known.  If anyone is interested in his work but doesn't like Star Trek, check out Rudderless. 

No he was crushed against the gate.  The car was parked on a slope.  He got out to go get the mail.  The camera zoomed in on the gear stick to show that the car was in  neutral and it started to roll.  When his husband called 911, we see him at the gate with is husband who is pinned and Maddie telling him not to move the car.

Speaking of real life stuff, the story of the newlyweds who had just gotten married and got into the horrific car accident upon leaving their wedding was eerie because that same day a story was trending on twitter about a real life couple who had just gotten married and the helicopter that they took from their wedding reception crashed and killed them and he pilot.

• Love 4

If he had been crushed against the gate his body wouldn't have been half way up the drive. Also the gate was undamaged and the car probably would have blown right through it.

Please re-watch.  :)

He was 'crushed'.  

When the FF showed up, he was dead after being crushed against the fence/gate. 

They moved the body up the driveway in order to try and save him.   

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Ailianna said:

If you ever have a chance see this ER episode "Be Still My Heart"-2000.  A lot goes on in this episode. But Yelchin as a young boy, makes me cry every time I watch this episode.  He has been in a lot.

On 11/5/2018 at 11:26 PM, Kleav said:

Did I imagine it or did both 9-1-1 and The Resident tonight have cast members singing "Islands in the Stream" at a karaoke bar?

It’s also the karaoke song of choice on The Good Doctor this season. 

• Love 3

I like every character except for Athena and Bobby, together or separate.  Since it looks like they're the main focus, I'm gonna drop kick this show.  Plus, it's just gotten too formulaic.  I can spend my time better than this.   

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I like every character except for Athena and Bobby, together or separate.  Since it looks like they're the main focus, I'm gonna drop kick this show.  Plus, it's just gotten too formulaic.  I can spend my time better than this.   

I hardly think they're the main focus, The next episode is almost entirely Hen-centric, as this past one focused on Buck.

• Love 1