Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Haunted

Drogo
  • Start Topic

Halloween finds the first responders racing to the rescue at a cemetery, a haunted hayride and a spooky Hollywood parade; Meanwhile Maddie thinks she has received a "ghost" call from a missing hiker; Hen finds herself facing with a life or death situation with the father who abandoned her; Eddie reconnects with his estranged wife.

I had to record this episode so as soon as the horse was shown to be dying, I yelled "NOPE" and fast forwarded through that whole sequence. Sorry, but not into watching animals die, even on TV. 

That was an interesting route they took with Eddie and his wife. It makes sense as to why Eddie avoids dating, at least. And now the two are back together. I'm not sure how I feel about Shannon. They definitely worked to make her sympathetic, and it did work. Plus, now Eddie isn't some perfect guy. He made some serious mistakes too.

Um....did they ever explain the phantom phone call? Maybe I was fast forwarding and missed it, but how did Maddie hear a ghost's voice? Or did she? I don't know.

Henrietta's stuff was pretty sad and I liked her talk with Athena.

FINALLY! Buck moves on and moves out of his now ex girlfriend's place! 

On a final note, Christopher is so freaking adorable. Who could ever have the heart to leave that kid?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Um....did they ever explain the phantom phone call? Maybe I was fast forwarding and missed it, but how did Maddie hear a ghost's voice? Or did she? I don't know.

Maddie is a Ghost Whisperer! 

I mean they did everything but spell out the joke with dead zombie cheerleaders....

• Love 19

I believe I read someplace that Connie Britton might pop in for a couple of shows.  I miss her.

Missed a lot of this episode due to tv complications.  Not unto vampires and such, so Halloween theme did not really appeal to me.  I liked that they  found the family of the older hiker.  That poor wife can now tell her family and friends the truth

• Love 3

What meds did they give the horse? It sure didn't look like nearly enough. That was pretty brutal. I thought at first one of the cops was going to have to shoot it & I wondered how the writers would weave that into the story.

I missed a result of Maggie's 911 call. So there really wasn't another fellow who fell & called that day?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Henrietta's stuff was pretty sad and I liked her talk with Athena.

I was sitting through it kind of wondering why no one at the hospital told Hen she could legally punt the decision to the hospital ethics committee. The Joint Commission requires hospitals to have them. I think CMS might too. She hasn't seen the man in 30 years. She reasonably wouldn't know his end of life decisions.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, rhys said:

What meds did they give the horse? It sure didn't look like nearly enough.

I thought they originally said they didn't have enough in the rig to put it down, so for a horrified moment, I thought they were knocking it out so the cop could SHOOT IT as humanely as possible, but then it just went quietly after an injection. I'd go back and check but NOPE NEVER watching that again! 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

Christopher as Wolverine was genius. He was ADORABLE. 

I couldn't stop smiling at Christopher dressed as Wolverine. He is the most adorable kid. I was hoping we would see more of him.

• Love 12

I was trying to place the woman who plays Eddie's wife. She reminded me of Debra Winger in an Officer and a Gentleman - not only looks-wise, but even some facial expressions and mannerisms. So I finally found her in googling and no relation to Debra Winger, but realized she looked familiar because she played the doctor of the small town in the short lived show Resurrection.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, llewis823 said:

I was trying to place the woman who plays Eddie's wife. She reminded me of Debra Winger in an Officer and a Gentleman - not only looks-wise, but even some facial expressions and mannerisms. So I finally found her in googling and no relation to Debra Winger, but realized she looked familiar because she played the doctor of the small town in the short lived show Resurrection.

Ah, thank you! I knew she looked familiar.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

Aisha Hinds brings it, y'all. Bravo. 

I keep waiting for Maddie's abusive husband to show up; I thought he would end up being a 911 call in this episode.

Christopher as Wolverine was the best. <3

She's incredible. Her scenes were heartbreaking, you could really feel her pain. 

jennifer Who should take notes, but it's not like she can grow a heart. Her crying is so fake. They really shouldn't give her scenes that require the ability to portray emotions. She's sickening.

Give Angela and Aisha good storylines.

And yeah, I know it's Halloween but what was with all those fucking pumpkins at Athena's place?  Plus, I can't see her happily carving pumpkins with the kids.  Carving people though?  Yes. 

This show is trying waaaay too hard to show how much Bobby has been integrated into the family.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

And yeah, I know it's Halloween but what was with all those fucking pumpkins at Athena's place?

It sounded like they were carving them for someplace - school, the firehouse, etc.  Didn't she ask Bobby about why he made so many ghosts, and he said it was because Buck (?) thought a ghost had made that 911 call?

33 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

It sounded like they were carving them for someplace - school, the firehouse, etc.  Didn't she ask Bobby about why he made so many ghosts, and he said it was because Buck (?) thought a ghost had made that 911 call?

Yeah, maybe that's what they were doing.  It was all too much "goody two shoes" stuff though.  I still say the writers on this show are trying to hard give Bobby a makeover/redemption arc. 

15 hours ago, rhys said:

So there really wasn't another fellow who fell & called that day?

I'm pretty sure no one even thought to maybe have a look-see around the area to make sure that wasn't the case. Instead, they all blamed it on the "ghost" call for which some technical interference was blamed.

14 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I was sitting through it kind of wondering why no one at the hospital told Hen she could legally punt the decision to the hospital ethics committee. The Joint Commission requires hospitals to have them. I think CMS might too. She hasn't seen the man in 30 years. She reasonably wouldn't know his end of life decisions.

I was wondering why it was even a choice? I was with Chimney; what option was there? Leave the man in a vegetative state? And who's going to be paying for that? Oh right, that would be him/his estate followed by his next of kin, Hen.

4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

And yeah, I know it's Halloween but what was with all those fucking pumpkins at Athena's place?  Plus, I can't see her happily carving pumpkins with the kids.  Carving people though?  Yes. 

51 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Bobby was carving the pumpkins and her kids were helping him. Athena even asked what they were up to when she entered the kitchen and also pointed out all the ghosts on them; Bobby said they were making them for the firehouse because of Buck's obsession with the "ghost call".

• Love 4
17 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I sobbed through the scene where they had to put down the horse. Stop it, show.

I am so glad to learn that I was not the only one.  I was so emotional that the dog and both cats had to come over and check out if I was OK.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Efzee said:

I was wondering why it was even a choice? I was with Chimney; what option was there? Leave the man in a vegetative state? And who's going to be paying for that? Oh right, that would be him/his estate followed by his next of kin, Hen.

I remember when we worked on these laws. The relevant agencies including NCSL (National Conference of State Legislatures) didn't really prescribe an end run around the priorities. It was legal orders by the patient, their families in certain priorities, friends, and hospital ethics committees. If there was a failure at each level, it would go to the next level. If family didn't feel comfortable, then a friend or the ethics committee could step in.

If the hospital had done a wallet biopsy and determined that Hen's father, estate, or Hen had no ability to pay, they would have kicked him to a lower level facility. California hospitals are infamous for that. 

I think why I had an issue with the episode was because this represented a very clear opportunity for the show to entertain and educate viewers and they whiffed on the latter.

• Love 4

I miss the 911 from last year...where every week was a wild ride.  I have liked that they are getting into a little bit of the personal lives of the crew.  A little bit.  It is just that there seems to be more family stuff than jaw-dropping (and sometimes hilarious) situations and rescues.

I do like the fact that Bud is more integrated into the crew and not being the main focus every week; I miss Connie Britton; like the new guy; love Chimney; love Bobby and Athena.  Just wish we would see more rescues; and I don't want to see another dying animal...that was heartbreaking.  

• Love 2
Spoiler
20 hours ago, Reality police said:

Are any of us surprised by the preview with Buck and the reporter? 

Proof once again that men don't have enough blood in their body to fill up both heads at the same time. 

Oh that preview pissed me off. There was a moment there when Buck was disgusted when he found out that the reporter was willing to take advantage of the chief being high to find out his secrets and was willing to air them on tv just to get a juicier story so she wouldn't have to go back to doing traffic.

I was hoping to never see the reporter again, but when the cameraman said "oh just get a room already" I knew that she would be back and that Buck would hook-up with her. Not looking forward to next week.

• Love 7

The death of the police horse was terribly sad.  Still, I felt more for Hen reliving the pain of an absent father and having to make such a hard decision.  Kudos to Aisha Hinds.  And I felt for that widow who lost her husband all over again. 

Didn't expect to see Wes Brown - I wouldn't mind seeing him again. I watch this show mostly for Aisha Hinds and Angela Bassett, but Athena could use another officer to interact with. 

• Love 2

I loved Bobby asking if the dead hiker was out of Athena’s jurisdiction and she replied with a wry “I'm a field Sargent, I go where I want.”

Dead horses are not cool, show.  Quit it.

I do judge that line of cops for letting Dorothy through, I mean I get that little girl was unreasonably stoic but a normal kid would be freaking out over the whole situation.

City Slicker’s owner looked wicked familiar but I can’t place him.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, auntiemel said:

I find it strange to think that, in this day and age, a school (even a private school) wouldn't understand the concept of one parent not being in the picture. I say this as a former teacher.

I found this odd as well, although frankly I also found it odd and possibly a little condescending that cute lil CP son was being offered what amounts to a "we need a few handicapped kids for diversity" scholarship at a fancy private school. Because it was a fancy private school, I do see why getting to know mom slightly was important. Fancy private schools don't like drama. 

But with that said, the drama with the mom seemed pretty tame, all things considered. 

Agree with the general opinion that Bobby and Athena are a little too cute too fast but I wonder if they're going to have something dramatic happen....

• Love 5

I was hoping for a fun episode and this was downright depressing. And while the show weekly stretches credulity with everything our heroes are capable of, this ep required a level of suspension of disbelief I'm not capable of -- with Hen and co. seemingly knowing how to put down a horse and Athena solving a cold case in 24 hours or so.

I don't remember Buck and Abby having this epic romance as described in his voice-over for his move-out. I remember them having a phone relationship followed by a few dates/sleepovers punctuated by her stress from caring for her mom.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I don't remember Buck and Abby having this epic romance as described in his voice-over for his move-out. I remember them having a phone relationship followed by a few dates/sleepovers punctuated by her stress from caring for her mom.

I think you're accurately describing Abby's side. I think Buck sees it as his first real relationship with a woman and has it in a special.

As it is, I don't understand Abby leaving for a foreign country for... a year? And leaving Buck with the keys to her house? I mean, I'll handwave at the idea that Abby can just leave her job and go to a foreign country and also continue paying her mortgage, but leave the home in the control of an imbecile like Buck? Meh.

And truthfully, the drama in Hen's personal life is borderline biblical. What next? Her mom has AIDS?

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I was hoping for a fun episode and this was downright depressing. And while the show weekly stretches credulity with everything our heroes are capable of, this ep required a level of suspension of disbelief I'm not capable of -- with Hen and co. seemingly knowing how to put down a horse and Athena solving a cold case in 24 hours or so.

Exactly!! When did he move in? I didn’t see anything in their “relationship “ to indicate that was some grand love. Way overboard here. I didn’t even believe them as a couple. Buck does have chemistry with his sister - JLH. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, auntiemel said:

I find it strange to think that, in this day and age, a school (even a private school) wouldn't understand the concept of one parent not being in the picture. I say this as a former teacher.

First the ghost on the cliff then the ghost of past societal norms.The private school came off like the elite preschools that parents killed someone to get their child into on a  Law & Order episode in order to qualify for Harvard  admission 15 years later.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, Raja said:

First the ghost on the cliff then the ghost of past societal norms.The private school came off like the elite preschools that parents killed someone to get their child into on a  Law & Order episode in order to qualify for Harvard  admission 15 years later.

If we're talking Law and Order, then the parents killed someone to get their child into a preschool that would qualify them for admission to *Hudson University*, not Harvard. ;)

• Love 11
On 10/29/2018 at 10:05 PM, Lady Calypso said:

On a final note, Christopher is so freaking adorable. Who could ever have the heart to leave that kid?

Totally agree.  Matter of fact I was so hoping we would get a glimpse of him.  He's got that megawatt smile that just lights up any room.  Plus, I don't believe he's acting - I think he's a genuinely happy and very likable child in real life.

• Love 4

I don't need to see anymore family shit with Athena, Bobby and the kids.  Just stop it.  We get it.

You know, there has been a definite change in tone on this show since the first season, which was much more campy. And while I do appreciate their attempt to make the show a little more serious, they need to pull back a little bit on all the family angst, because they're swinging the other way a little too hard now. It feels like Hen has some new personal crisis every single freaking week. And yeah, Bobby is playing house with Athena and her kids in a way that makes it look like they've been together since the children were born. It's way too much. Maybe dial it down a notch or two.

• Love 5
On 10/30/2018 at 6:37 PM, Calamity Jane said:

I am so glad to learn that I was not the only one.  I was so emotional that the dog and both cats had to come over and check out if I was OK.  

Third.  I'm actually terrified of horses (was bitten by one when I was 8), but the actor playing the cop hit about every note that any animal-parent who's had to let their friend go has been through.

• Love 8
On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:05 PM, Lady Calypso said:

That was an interesting route they took with Eddie and his wife. It makes sense as to why Eddie avoids dating, at least. And now the two are back together. I'm not sure how I feel about Shannon. They definitely worked to make her sympathetic, and it did work. Plus, now Eddie isn't some perfect guy. He made some serious mistakes too.

Christopher is adorable! Wolverine was such as awesome costume!

While they worked to make his mom sympathetic, I'm not sure if it worked for me. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention which is possible. But it sounded like Shannon was mad that Eddie was in the military and was deployed for 2 years and she was left with Christopher, then Eddie came home and they had issues, then her mom got sick so she left to take care of her, and then she decided it was to hard to come home. I wonder if we will get some flash backs that will show Eddie was not always this wonderful dad/guy.  Like I said maybe I missed parts that would make me more sympathetic.

• Love 4
On 10/30/2018 at 4:09 PM, Ohwell said:

Yeah, maybe that's what they were doing.  It was all too much "goody two shoes" stuff though.  I still say the writers on this show are trying to hard give Bobby a makeover/redemption arc. 

I don't think the writers think he needs one. They presented Bobby being responsible for the deaths of over 100 people as a reason we were supposed to feel sorry for his burden and root for him to embrace life.  It was a big reason why the show was kind of fun last season.  Some of it was but some of it came from some incredibly tone deaf storytelling.  Yes, similar to how the school needed to talk to both parents.

Since I unabashedly loved Buck and Abby last season, I actually love how long it took Buck to move on.  Shows rarely take their time with things like this.  I do think he fell for her but I think it's also hard for him to let go of some of the previously unexplored sides of him that came out with her.

• Love 3
On 10/30/2018 at 11:43 PM, Rap541 said:

Because it was a fancy private school, I do see why getting to know mom slightly was important. Fancy private schools don't like drama. 

As far as we know, Eddie and his wife are still married - not even legally separated, just living apart for the past few years, and he doesn't have any kind of custody agreement.  If so I understand why the school would want to meet the mother as well, since she presumably has the same parental rights as Eddie which could cause issues down the road..

• Love 1
12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Everybody's worried about the horse, nobody cares about the person who's head caught on fire. 

I know -- I was wondering about that as well.  That's why fire-eaters always check multiple times to make sure there's a wide ring around them!

48 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

As far as we know, Eddie and his wife are still married - not even legally separated, just living apart for the past few years, and he doesn't have any kind of custody agreement. 

In fact, Eddie said he was "married", not separated  so I think they're still legally married.

• Love 1

People and animals. I never understand. Just in the way that so many people look at animals like they are children or something. I don't like animals and they have to die just like actual human beings do. Doesn't affect me.

It's crazy how I'm invested in every character at this point. There isn't a character or plotline where I'm like, I need to fast forward here.

Don't get the hate for Love either. I think she's fine. 

Also, we are truly seeing growth from these characters instead of just being stagnant.

1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

People and animals. I never understand. Just in the way that so many people look at animals like they are children or something. I don't like animals and they have to die just like actual human beings do. Doesn't affect me.

It's crazy how I'm invested in every character at this point. There isn't a character or plotline where I'm like, I need to fast forward here.

Don't get the hate for Love either. I think she's fine. 

Also, we are truly seeing growth from these characters instead of just being stagnant.

I don't see ANY hate towards "Love". Actually, her fans are the ones bullying Connie for god knows what reason. It seems that the people who sick to death of "Love" and her "acting" just stopped watching the show all together.

I give this show one more season, only because Fox must be desperate to keep in touch with Ryan Murphy after losing him... but lets be honest, no network sees ratings a little above 1.0 and thinks "we need to keep that show on for years" 

On 10/30/2018 at 11:43 PM, Rap541 said:

Agree with the general opinion that Bobby and Athena are a little too cute too fast but I wonder if they're going to have something dramatic happen....

I thought it was a minority opinion, or maybe it's mine because I still think they're awesome. If anything, I'd love to see even more and sex it up a little. That brief glimpse we got in the Season 2 premiere showed they can be sexy together.

On 10/31/2018 at 10:29 AM, Rap541 said:

As it is, I don't understand Abby leaving for a foreign country for... a year? And leaving Buck with the keys to her house? I mean, I'll handwave at the idea that Abby can just leave her job and go to a foreign country and also continue paying her mortgage, but leave the home in the control of an imbecile like Buck? Meh.

I think her mom's death hit her much harder than she expected and she really needed an escape from all memories of her, Buck included. I don't think she was intending to necessarily stay for that long, but hell once you get over there I could see never wanting to come back. Especially in today's environment which was referenced with the questioning of what year it was, etc.

Not looking forward to Buck in the preview next week, I really hate that reporter.

I will have to go back and rewatch this episode because I was up in the mountains and didn't really get to watch full details.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

If anything, I'd love to see even more and sex it up a little. That brief glimpse we got in the Season 2 premiere showed they can be sexy together.

I just don't think they've developed it enough to make me buy that everyone in Athena's family loves Bobby and wants him in the family photos and are all totally cool with Bobby and they've only been dating for what, six months? I mean, Buck and Abby dated longer and people are questioning why Buck thinks this was the relationship of the ages....

There's also my "real world" expectation with the whole "Everyone loves Bobby" routine and thats that Bobby is hardly a mentally healthy man and this all feels like the calm before a massive storm. Bobby has been suicidal. He's kinda sorta dealing with the death of his kids but not well - frankly that at one point he was keeping score on how many people he saved so he could kill himself once he'd made up for all the people he killed, and went pretty much right to the roof once he was high in a recent episode... this makes me think Bobby isn't past his issues. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Blackbird999999lol said:

I don't see ANY hate towards "Love". Actually, her fans are the ones bullying Connie for god knows what reason. It seems that the people who sick to death of "Love" and her "acting" just stopped watching the show all together.

I give this show one more season, only because Fox must be desperate to keep in touch with Ryan Murphy after losing him... but lets be honest, no network sees ratings a little above 1.0 and thinks "we need to keep that show on for years" 

I've seen plenty of people disliking Hewitt that still watch. Just saying I don't share that opinion.

I dont know if you noticed this but ratings are down across the board on networks. A little above a 1.0 rating in stellar right now. Fox isn't desperate for anything regarding this show. It's a genuine hit in today's standards. 

• Love 4