Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
The Crazed Spruce

S03.E02: Chapter Thirty-Seven: Fortune and Men's Eyes

Recommended Posts

You guys this show is nearing the end for me- I’m not sure how long I can keep watching.

 

Polly and Alice gaslighting Betty. I think my theory might be right about her switching the meds. Because she seemed way too into it. Also what hospital did they take betty to? Hope he was a real one.

 

So is betty not going to tell Jughead about the seizure cult thing? I guess Bughead only gets to be honest with each other  for that one episode. This is why people get angry about Bughead. I mean yeah their scene was adorable, but all the same... they do get a lot of scenes, I agree but the show refuses to let them actually talk to each other and they used to. And now betty isn’t telling him that something pretty horrible and awful happened to her and she isn’t telling him.

 

People confronting Cheryl in a locker room. 

 

Also Archie going into juive with super nice shoes.. great idea. 

 

Joaquin! So much better than Moose. Welcome back. But also seems like a jerk here but yeah also stupid for everyone to assume Archie would have an inn just because he had a tattoo.

 

Ugh. So really this Gyglore King stuff is the true face of evil? Okay. Yeah. It’s already stupid enough but now it may be even worse. Also creepy doctor is super creepy. So he’s totally evil, right?

 

Also can I just say that a lot of things this season if they turn out to be what I’m predicting, I’m going to be a little let down. It’s like Riverdale isn’t even trying anymore.

 

There’s a music room at juive? Also seriously who let Archie go into juive with nice shoes? And omg, a mention of last season and the drag race. 

 

And I’m starting to ship Varchie now only to realize that they’re probably breaking up soon.

 

Evelyn.. is already terrible. And wasn’t she supposed to look like Betty a little? Wasn’t it supposed to be an all about Eve type thing? She doesn’t look anything like Betty. Also.. seriously we didn’t need another new character.

 

I couldn’t care less about Kevin and Moose.

 

Hey Veronica is just working at pops... because she owns it? Seriously there was no reason why. And Cheryl kind of rules. At least she gave out helpful info to Veronica. Seriously, I know Jughead and Betty are busy with the stupid creature feature stuff but damn.. they seem to not even care about Archie at all right now. No more core four scenes this season. At least that’s how it’s looking. 

 

I.. don’t care that much about Ben. But maybe because I don’t care about this story? 

 

You know.. I thought I would hate the Archie goes to juive and is sad and broody and whatever but I’m kind of wishing we spent more time on that. Whatever these other stories.

 

Hey Hermione actually helps out Veronica and Archie.

 

Ethel and Ben were a couple. Because of the Gyglore King stuff. Ugh. This is the most terrible storyline you guys, it’s getting harder and harder for

Me to care.

 

Ugh. Falice. Both terrible parents but I’m happy that Jughead found out about bettys incident.  And yeah I know Falice is being concerned parents but something about them turns me off, I don’t buy Alice for one second and FP is now just being a decent father and there’s probably another reason why and not just concern for jughead. 

 

Aw. Veronica and Reggie bought Archie shoes. 

 

Archie is going to get all the juive gangs to play football. Yay!

 

Is warden a bad guy or a good guy?

 

Even if Alice tells betty the tea she is giving her is normal tea, I still would not drink that. I’m glad betty didn’t. 

 

Also yay.. now betty and Jughead finally talk.

 

Oh my god. It is a demon. Right? A tree type demon. I cannot believe this. 

 

They made it seem like Veronica was hardly going to visit Archie but she’s been

Visiting quite a lot.

 

Also love that she’s clearly doing a pep rally for Archie’s juive football game.

 

I really can’t care about Kevin and Moose.

 

I mean.. I feel for MadDog. I do. But damn show.. we just keeping more and more characters. He seems nice enough but there are already so many people in this show.

 

It makes me sad that I can’t be bothered to care about the Gyglore King or whatever because it’s ruining all the Bughead content. Like.. this is what they get? Ugh. Thanks show. Also someone’s body coming out from under the bed? But really.. I love my season one detective Bughead duo but this ain’t it.  I keep wanting the show go back to Archie and I have never liked Archie before. 

 

The vixens coming to do a pep rally  for the juive to jailhouse rock was a bat crazy  fever dream but I’m here for it! Also

This highlights again that Betty doesn’t care and Toni wasn’t there either. Also the show is hard core making me ship Varchie when I was meh on them before. 

 

Of course the warden is evil and best friends with Hiram.  Because Hiram makes everyone friendship bracelets. 

 

So the football game was a riot? Okay. And maddog is dead.. because he was nice to Archie? WhT was the point of that?

 

So the Gyglore King is role playing? But then Ethel had

A seizure and Evelyn is there? Oh god. I guess she’s a witch. I guess the show is trying to bridge into Sabrina. Great. So

Stupid. Seriously, considering Sabrina is on Netflix and not everyone has Netflix I’m curious how they want people to watch that?(I have Netflix but there are people  who may not and considering this is a teen show.. thy might not have Netflix). This is dumb.  And I wish I cared.

 

Veronica gets a fake is and a new name. And she’s goi g to help Archie.

 

Ugh. ROTC and Kevin and moose. Sure. Moose looks like he is  less than thrilled about this and I completely understand.

 

Okay. The parents were involved in this stupid Gyglore

king game and I need a drink. Also if I were Fred, I would not go to any meeting with the Lodges until they agree to get Archie out.  But otherwise who cares about this story? 

 

So the ending was supposed to be a shocking one.. and it’s Ben killing himself? I mean yeah that’s awful and terrible. But Ben means next to nothing to a lot of us. So.. whatever.

 

You guys I think I’m about one to two more episodes of tapping out. This show is not good anymore.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Is Cheryl no longer older than the core 4 or was she held back like 2 years. She should be as old as Polly. 

Lol Kevin he just isn't that into you. Joining the same club is super desperate.

Way to go all Longest Yard Archie. And how do none of those girls have cell phones out to record everything.  What kind of teenagers  are these. 

I get that murder mystery is this shows deal but how many murders happen in this little town. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, notcreative enough said:

Is Cheryl no longer older than the core 4 or was she held back like 2 years. She should be as old as Polly. 

Lol Kevin he just isn't that into you. Joining the same club is super desperate.

Way to go all Longest Yard Archie. And how do none of those girls have cell phones out to record everything.  What kind of teenagers  are these. 

I get that murder mystery is this shows deal but how many murders happen in this little town. 

Yeah they retconned Cheryl’s age after the first season.

Eh, it’s not so much a regular murder mystery either for Riverdale, apparently it’s a supernatural one too. So I guess riverdale is now built on a hellmouth like sunnydale was.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Dee said:

This show SO bad. And NOT in a good way. It's hilarious.

Yeah. I think we have different reasons for why we feel this way but this was bad. Like really bad. And not in a so bad it’s good way. It’s just painful.

Share this post


Link to post

Uh....what was all of that? Creepy magical gargoyles springing to life? Creepy Evelyn mouthing something as Ethel seizes on the floor? 

What did I sign up for here? And does the show even know what they're doing? Because last time they tried to develop a mystery, it was with the Black Hood and it became clear a few episodes in that they were making things up on the fly, especially when Lochlyn Munro didn't know he was the Black Hood until....what, three episodes before the reveal? Less?  So the Gargoyle King stuff is likely going to end up nowhere. 

Only Archie would try to rally against a fight with a football game and have it end in a riot AND with Archie as the Warden's little spy or "Mad Dog". Ok, that was Hiram, but still.

I bet Mad Dog isn't dead and is probably just tied up somewhere. No body, no death. I'm just worried about where exactly he is. I liked his scenes with Archie. He makes more sense than Moose, who is dull as dishwater and who is trying to give Kevin an interesting plot. Too bad it's not working, since I can't muster up any feelings toward closeted Moose and Kevin trying to coax him out of the closet. 

Not really sure I'm caring much. I don't really care about the parents' Big Secret, as I can't see how it makes much sense or holds up the mystery aspect. I don't really care about Bughead's detective story with the Gargoyle. I'm only marginally interested in Archie in juvie, but mostly because I want to know what the juvie boys do when they discover Archie is the new Mad Dog. I doubt they leave him alone like they did with the real Mad Dog (whose name I wish was revealed). Plus, I'm kind of intrigued to see if Archie breaks before the gang get him out of juvie. A hardened Archie later in the season could be fun to watch. 

Otherwise, a big fat meh from me.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Uh....what was all of that? Creepy magical gargoyles springing to life? Creepy Evelyn mouthing something as Ethel seizes on the floor? 

What did I sign up for here? And does the show even know what they're doing? Because last time they tried to develop a mystery, it was with the Black Hood and it became clear a few episodes in that they were making things up on the fly, especially when Lochlyn Munro didn't know he was the Black Hood until....what, three episodes before the reveal? Less?  So the Gargoyle King stuff is likely going to end up nowhere. 

Only Archie would try to rally against a fight with a football game and have it end in a riot AND with Archie as the Warden's little spy or "Mad Dog". Ok, that was Hiram, but still.

I bet Mad Dog isn't dead and is probably just tied up somewhere. No body, no death. I'm just worried about where exactly he is. I liked his scenes with Archie. He makes more sense than Moose, who is dull as dishwater and who is trying to give Kevin an interesting plot. Too bad it's not working, since I can't muster up any feelings toward closeted Moose and Kevin trying to coax him out of the closet. 

Not really sure I'm caring much. I don't really care about the parents' Big Secret, as I can't see how it makes much sense or holds up the mystery aspect. I don't really care about Bughead's detective story with the Gargoyle. I'm only marginally interested in Archie in juvie, but mostly because I want to know what the juvie boys do when they discover Archie is the new Mad Dog. I doubt they leave him alone like they did with the real Mad Dog (whose name I wish was revealed). Plus, I'm kind of intrigued to see if Archie breaks before the gang get him out of juvie. A hardened Archie later in the season could be fun to watch. 

Otherwise, a big fat meh from me.

Its just not good. None of it is good. I only could tolerate Archie’s story and even though tolerated. Also as I said as someone who loved Bughead they seem intent on ruining them by throwing them into this Gyglore story. And now the parents are in it too. So I was right that FP and Alice were only concerned because betty and Jughead could maybe possiblY find out some deep dark secret from their teen years.

This episode was so bad. I know some people are going to love this crazy bht this wasn’t the show I started watching. It wasn’t. Also I’m sure the teens love this hot mess of a show but it’s never even a fun hot mess.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Even for Riverdale, this is really getting weird. 

So, not only do we have Archie doing a Longest Yard take off in juvie, only for the warden to be messing with him and is all creepy, we have Ethel getting involved win weird thing number 200 (I swear, that girl will be revealed to be a serial killer), the parents of every main kid having a dark secret like this is IT or something, the Lodges being sketchy, some kind of creepy monster in the woods, a possible witch coven, and we still have the usual high school dating shenanigans. I have literally no idea what is going on. 

I liked Mad Dog, hope that he comes back. I liked his and Archies scenes. And his abs. And the cheerleaders doing Jailbouse Rock was pretty awesome. So, I cant say I hate it, and, if nothing else, I am rarely bored watching this show, and I cant say I was bored. More...confused. 

I did laugh at how Bugheads idea of a dream date is skulking around in the world looking for a possible monster worshiping death cult.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

Oh dear Veronica, working for a living does NOT agree with you.  Ugh, absolutely hideous outfit when she is pouring coffee at Pops.  Archie has very nice muscle tone but honey, no man is worth it.

Hiram makes bad look so good.  Hottest Dad in Riverdale, even if he is evil.

Veronica and Reggie do look very pretty together.

I don't care about Polly, Alice or the Evernevers.   I am interested in a secret that would bind Hiram, Hermione, Penelope, Keller and Sierra.

Edited by Advance35
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I’m actually delighted by this season. Loving the styled around a movie theme continuing. I think it is a pretty sophisticated show that way.

I havent seen the movie ‘fortune and men’s eyes’ but its interesting to see the theme played out with the universally pretty young doll people. No diversity whatsoever in age or attractiveness or fitness level. In this world modeling agencies mist recruit from prisons. No wonder Princess Ethylene is a mess. 

The football game is such a wholesome comic book solution, so Archie Comics, and Hiram’s answer is so evil.

For the first time I’m liking Veronica in general. She was the MVP of this episode, although Archie gives her a run for it  

I like the cyanide larp game, which clearly is a town tradition.  

I’m just going to sit over here in the corner and chortle a bit and then I’ll leave. 

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, notcreative enough said:

Is Cheryl no longer older than the core 4 or was she held back like 2 years. She should be as old as Polly. 

They admitted that the characters' ages didn't make sense right around the beginning, if I recall correctly.

I like this show best when it's weird, so the new weird cult stuff and whatever it is Betty and Jughead are investigating is exactly the kind of thing I enjoy from it.  Same with the very OTT Archie prison stuff (complete with a "Warden Norton" right out of Shawshank).

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Eh. I think I feel alone by stating that making this show some supernatural thing was a big mistake. Others seem to think it was fine. And I feel alone again in stating that I hope there’s no crossover with Sabrina because I don’t want to watch that.

If anyone wants to join me, I hope you join me in drinking wine every week with this show.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I just want one thing to happen: Jaoquingets out of juvie the same time as Archie, just so we can see a plot romantic triangle with Moose and Kevin

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, notcreative enough said:

Lol Kevin he just isn't that into you. Joining the same club is super desperate.

 

Yeah, ouch. Oh Kev, desperation does not look good on you. But I guess its at least a step up from hooking up with random older men in the woods. Are there really so few options for the poor kid? 

Reggie trying to be a good teammate is really kind of sweet. I guess he really was scared straight when he almost killed a guy last year.

How many secret conspiracy's are in this town anyway? The Blossoms alone seem to be involved in about 38 that we know about, let alone what everyone else is up to. As much as I am sure that this Gargoyle will end up being a big mess like The Black Hood, I do kind of like the idea of the League of Parents all teaming up to take him down. You know, Jughead really wasn't very observant in the first season, was he? Going on about how Jason's murder was such a shock to such a sweet little town. If anything, Jason dying was one of the least weird deaths in this town!

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

There's something about binge watching Riverdale that makes it easier to take.  I did that with seasons 1 and 2 and I got into, out of it, into it, but I kept going because I was bored.  But now it's weekly and I don't think I can keep going.  I hate the juvie storyline because it's like we are just waiting for it to be over because we all know he will get out.  When I was in jail, everyone coveted my shoes, but no one tried to steal them.  Plus, I think Archie is tiny so who's going to fit in his shoes.  Of course everywhere in Riverdale is evil.  I'm not sure I can keep going just  for the gymspiration of all the studs, Cheryl, and Kevin.

Another thing that really turned me against Riverdale was watching "Elite", which I guess I'm the only one who watched since there's no forum for it.  But IMO it's everything Riverdale wishes it could be: sex, drugs, murder, crime.  But Riverdale is CW so we end up with monsters in the woods instead of sexy threesome plots.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think the Innocence Project has better things to do than help a kid from a white, middle class family with an attorney mother who decided to take a deal for a few years in juvie despite getting a mistrial from a hung jury.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, opus said:

So juvie in Riverdale is worse then Oz ?

When Hiram lodge is besties with the warden it is. 

Seriously apparently Hiram knows everyone which means none of the characters are going to win against him. Which sounds super interesting but is it? After a while watching characters continue to fall down a mountain stops being fun.

Also I agree with someone else it’s hard to be that invested in the Archie story because it can’t be that long. They can’t keep Archie apart from the actual storyline this season is going for,which isn’t his juive story, it just isn’t, it’s clearly the Gyglore King stuff, once again Archie’s story is second fiddle, but still. I don’t think we’re going to spend too much time on it. His story is clearly on a different show.  Then again it appears that Veronica’s is as well, even by next weeks previews, while Betty and Jughead are clearly tapped in the seasons A plot.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

 I know Jughead and Betty are busy with the stupid creature feature stuff but damn.. they seem to not even care about Archie at all right now

Nor does Fred, apparently! Honestly, not only does Ronnie apparently possess a Time Turner so she can fit three days' worth of activity into every normal one, she is the ONLY ONE who is visiting Archie! Why the hell isn't Fred raising hell in Hermione's office about the fact that not only his kid but every other minor in there was nearly murdered by hired thug/guards, openly, in front of multiple witnesses? Even if Mary had to get back to Chicago you'd think she'd call now and then, too! Between the two of them they could blow this up into the scandal of the year and Hiram can bite it.

See, that's the problem with this show. It's over the top, fine, but the writers never seem to think through any kind of consequence for anything that happens to anyone. We're supposed to believe that this entire time, during the Black Hood nonsense and the Blossom cavortings and Hiram's designs on the South Side every single one of these people has been in some kind of secret blood pact about a Gargoyle King that likes to cosplay as a deer skeleton as designed by the Blair Witch? But NOBODY ELSE in this town knew about it? I don't know what's in Jingle Jangle but it must be some really good shit to keep peoples' brains this nuts, I'll tell ya.

Ethel once again has to be the punching bag for the plots; remember everybody, if you aren't model thin the very idea of you being attractive to somebody is hilarious! Also, your gaming boyfriend will jump out a window! Ha ha! I guess the showrunner is trying to cross Slender Man, Jumanji and It or something.

I did unabashedly love the pep rally; especially the one Vixen with those amazing Serena Williams arms! She must be a champion gymnast.

Ugh, Kevin. Desperation is NOT a good look, sweetie. But then again apparently NONE of your friends want to recruit you into their storylines so you recruited yourself into a sad go nowhere one instead. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Snookums said:

Nor does Fred, apparently! Honestly, not only does Ronnie apparently possess a Time Turner so she can fit three days' worth of activity into every normal one, she is the ONLY ONE who is visiting Archie! Why the hell isn't Fred raising hell in Hermione's office about the fact that not only his kid but every other minor in there was nearly murdered by hired thug/guards, openly, in front of multiple witnesses? Even if Mary had to get back to Chicago you'd think she'd call now and then, too! Between the two of them they could blow this up into the scandal of the year and Hiram can bite it.

See, that's the problem with this show. It's over the top, fine, but the writers never seem to think through any kind of consequence for anything that happens to anyone. We're supposed to believe that this entire time, during the Black Hood nonsense and the Blossom cavortings and Hiram's designs on the South Side every single one of these people has been in some kind of secret blood pact about a Gargoyle King that likes to cosplay as a deer skeleton as designed by the Blair Witch? But NOBODY ELSE in this town knew about it? I don't know what's in Jingle Jangle but it must be some really good shit to keep peoples' brains this nuts, I'll tell ya.

Ethel once again has to be the punching bag for the plots; remember everybody, if you aren't model thin the very idea of you being attractive to somebody is hilarious! Also, your gaming boyfriend will jump out a window! Ha ha! I guess the showrunner is trying to cross Slender Man, Jumanji and It or something.

I did unabashedly love the pep rally; especially the one Vixen with those amazing Serena Williams arms! She must be a champion gymnast.

Ugh, Kevin. Desperation is NOT a good look, sweetie. But then again apparently NONE of your friends want to recruit you into their storylines so you recruited yourself into a sad go nowhere one instead. 

Yeah.. that’s a big problem with this show not connecting anything. The whole time during the big secret keeper scene with the parents I kept Thinking how can Fred even stand to be there when Archie is getting beaten in a juive prison? Like really show? 

And again.. RAS claimed the final moments would be more shocking than Jugheads final moment in 2x21. But seriously.. was it? I mean Ben killing himself was tragic and for whatever this role playing game is, but it’s Ben? A  somewhat supporting character who got more screen time than some of the regular characters ever get so why should we care? 

The only thing fun was that pep rally and honestly that’s the only fun fever dream bizarre Riverdale I like. All this stupid complicated the parents have a past where they maybe role played in the Woods is stupid. It really is. 

And let’s not even get into the cult

stuff and the new random character Evelyn who will probably get more development and screen time than any of the characters we actually

know and care about.

The show even managed to ruin the only thing they still had me in for: Bughead. 

I really miss season one. Things were more fun then and I actually

liked the characters.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

 

 the new random character Evelyn who will probably get more development and screen time than any of the characters we actually

know and care about.

 

 

Oh, that reminds me: while the speculation is that Evelyn is some kind of Sabrina tie in,  I think she may be a hallucination of Betty's--if you watch her scenes carefully, Betty is the only one who sees or talks to her. I really hope that's it and the entire magic thing turns out to be an elaborate hoax, with everybody going ha, there's no such thing as magic! *cut to Sabrina commercial* 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I am thrilled, however, that Riverdale has upheld the fine tradition of An Evil Authority Figure utterly misquoting Shakespeare (or the Bible.)

When In Disgrace... is my favorite sonnet, and of course in its entirety means the complete an total opposite of the warden's bullshit take. Hardly an indictment of hope or the foolishness of belief in love, it actually underlines that one's memories of loving and being loved means that you are never alone.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45090/sonnet-29-when-in-disgrace-with-fortune-and-mens-eyes

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Snookums said:

 

Oh, that reminds me: while the speculation is that Evelyn is some kind of Sabrina tie in,  I think she may be a hallucination of Betty's--if you watch her scenes carefully, Betty is the only one who sees or talks to her. I really hope that's it and the entire magic thing turns out to be an elaborate hoax, with everybody going ha, there's no such thing as magic! *cut to Sabrina commercial* 

I mean.. I don’t know. I don’t want to watch Sabrina at all so any tie in is a huge part of the reason why Riverdale is turning me off this season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

zBpeNkF.gif

I’m almost right there with you. And honestly at this point.. I’m not even sure what’s keeping me in, I would say Bughead but even the show has managed to ruin them too by pushing them into this stupid tree creature role playing game thing.

So maybe it’s just my stubbornness to finish what I start? The problem is it’s not even fun crazy.  I know

fun crazy tv, I spent all 8 years with oth. But that was fun in an odd way. This is just ridiculous and it feels Ike no one on the show, actors, writers etc know what they want it to be. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Superclam said:

Sooooo.... It? Shawshank Redemption? Blair Witch? Grease? 

This show is so weird. 

So far, looks like:  Shawshank Redemption, The Longest Yard, possibly Fight Club next week?  Blair Witch, Slender Man, and, now that the parents are involved....It!  "You'll fly too!"??  Really, show?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Snookums said:

I am thrilled, however, that Riverdale has upheld the fine tradition of An Evil Authority Figure utterly misquoting Shakespeare (or the Bible.)

When In Disgrace... is my favorite sonnet, and of course in its entirety means the complete an total opposite of the warden's bullshit take. Hardly an indictment of hope or the foolishness of belief in love, it actually underlines that one's memories of loving and being loved means that you are never alone.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45090/sonnet-29-when-in-disgrace-with-fortune-and-mens-eyes

Bless you! the minute I heard it I went "is that waht that really means?" but since i was watching at 4:00am, i wasnt gonna get into the shakespeare research 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I’m sorry but this was a really bad episode. I thought last seasons black hood mystery was bad but it appears this one may be worst and I agree with someone else who said that like the black Hood, they probably don’t even have an ending, and probably won’t until the final three scripts of this season. Because right now they are just throwing out scenes and stuff and nothing is going to make sense.

Also again.. as I said in a different post, Archie is taking a back seat to the main of the season. Which.. I mean, at least last season while he wasn’t the main person in that storu(that was betty) he was still somewhat in the main plot, not a lot but still..now he’s  so far removed from it, as is Veronica.  But that might be better, it makes me actually somewhat watch the juive stuff.

I just can’t get into this role playing as a tree in the woods and seriously.. I cannot believe that’s where they are this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, WhosThatGirl said:

I’m sorry but this was a really bad episode. I thought last seasons black hood mystery was bad but it appears this one may be worst and I agree with someone else who said that like the black Hood, they probably don’t even have an ending, and probably won’t until the final three scripts of this season. Because right now they are just throwing out scenes and stuff and nothing is going to make sense.

It feels like they're throwing in these twists just for the shock value and not actually because they have a solid endgame with it. Oh, look, the parents all get their own plot by being involved in something dark from their teen years! Ok...and? Is it going to lead to anything or is it just to give the parents their own plot? 

4 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Also again.. as I said in a different post, Archie is taking a back seat to the main of the season. Which.. I mean, at least last season while he wasn’t the main person in that storu(that was betty) he was still somewhat in the main plot, not a lot but still..now he’s  so far removed from it, as is Veronica.  But that might be better, it makes me actually somewhat watch the juive stuff.

Archie is definitely disconnected from the plot this season, much like Jughead was for a bit last season. I assume Veronica will get involved in the Gargoyle stuff at some point, but it's actually good for Archie to be in his own plot separate from the main mystery. Since I know the Gargoyle stuff is going to be poorly executed, it makes Archie's stuff more interesting for me. Even though I think he'll get sucked in at some point, he's separated enough at the moment. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah I mean I said the lack of Archie being involved in the stupid tree demon stuff is good because he’s watchable. And yeah Jughead was separate last season but he was still somewhat involved in the black Hood stuff. If Archie gets out of juive it’ll be funny to see his reactions to this new info that Riverdale is now being run by a person who dresses up like a tree and chases people. Or is he a tree demon.. or something. Whatever. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I think Archie gets disconnected from the main plot sometimes for a chunk of the season is frankly IMO Cole and Lili are the best actors of the kids  with Madeline and Camilla behind them. TPTB seem to think so with Jug and Betty getting more of the Dramatic Angst plus others can say Bughead being the most famous coupling of the show could be helping 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

I think Archie gets disconnected from the main plot sometimes for a chunk of the season is frankly IMO Cole and Lili are the best actors of the kids  with Madeline and Camilla behind them. TPTB seem to think so with Jug and Betty getting more of the Dramatic Angst plus others can say Bughead being the most famous coupling of the show could be helping 

I mean I feel that way too but they still try to say Archie is a main character but he tends to get pushed to the back a lot of the time during the storylines. So far in this season though it’s really apparent. Nothing links him to the main story. At least when he was pushed back in the Black hood story while Betty got the most of it, they were able to say he was working with Hiram to learn how to protect his family  better or whatever. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

They must be saving a ton with the Wardrobe Dept. since nobody is wearing clothes.

This mixture of old-timey and new is interesting juvenile detention center guards uniforms and Veronica's cash register are old school, while phones and laptop computers are high tech.

Is Pops gone from the Malt Shop?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

So they really had Eli Goree just come take off his shirt to work out and magical negro some hope Into archie and then have him leave... And Josie got to sing almost as much as veronica and Cheryl smh... Also what was archie doing swinging on them guards.. Old buddy is lucky they didn't kill him

Edited by UNOSEZ
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Uh....what was all of that? Creepy magical gargoyles springing to life? Creepy Evelyn mouthing something as Ethel seizes on the floor? 

What did I sign up for here? And does the show even know what they're doing? Because last time they tried to develop a mystery, it was with the Black Hood and it became clear a few episodes in that they were making things up on the fly, especially when Lochlyn Munro didn't know he was the Black Hood until....what, three episodes before the reveal? Less?  So the Gargoyle King stuff is likely going to end up nowhere. 

 

This show is a hot mess...I realllllly doubt that the show even knows what it's doing. That being said, I am here for it. All of it. The creepy magical gargoyles, the weird game, the parents secret past, Archie in prison, a weird farm/cult...give me all the crazy multitude of storylines!! This show is going off the deep end, and it is must-watch TV for me! 

15 hours ago, nilyank said:

I think the Innocence Project has better things to do than help a kid from a white, middle class family with an attorney mother who decided to take a deal for a few years in juvie despite getting a mistrial from a hung jury.

Hahaha, but actually though. When Cheryl gave Veronica that advice, my first thought was "Oh crap...don't drag the Innocence Project into this." I listen to enough true crime podcasts to know that the Innocent Project's resources can FOR sure be better used. 

17 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

If anyone wants to join me, I hope you join me in drinking wine every week with this show.

Oh, you better believe that I have a generous serving of wine by my side everytime I watch this crazy ass amazing show...except this episode, because my cable and internet are down right now, so I couldn't watch live like I usually do. And instead, I woke up an hour earlier than I needed to so I could watch it on Netflix. And since work might frown on me walking into work buzzed on wine, I just drank coffee. 

I loved seeing Jughead and Betty sleuthing together this episode. It gave me major season 1 flashbacks in a great way. They work so well together, and I'm actually interested in the weirdness they're trying to figure out. Especially since it now involves all of the parents. 

Anyone else get some Jonestown vibes from this, what with the cult and the blue "Fresh-Aid" (which sounds more like an anti-bacterial wound disinfectant than it does a drink, to be honest)?

Archie: “That means you haven’t known the triumphs and defeats; the epic highs and lows of high school football.”

I know that was supposed to be inspirational or some shit, but I had to pause because I was laughing so damn hard. Friday Night Lights, this ain’t. Also, Archie know your audience. This poor boy just tells you that we had to drop out of school in the 4th grade to run drugs to support his Nana, and you’re yammering on about football? Oh, sorry...HIGH SCHOOL football. Archie was probably still eating Play-Doh in the 4th grade...

Not interested in the whole Kevin/Moose storyline. Kevin is coming on wayyyy too strong, and if I were Moose, I'd be alarmed. 

Cheryl continues to be the bomb. Her quips crack me up. Also, I liked all of the Cheryl/Veronica scenes we got tonight. I want them to be friends. I just want more Cheryl with the Core 4 in general.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Am i the only one liking this ridiculous but adorable show?!?! 

This season is GREAT! I am loving these crazy ass plots with twig-covered-in-blood monster and crazy cults and floating babies and High School Musical - The Juvie chapter..  It's just so much fun! Nah, I've been getting S1 moods since the start of the season and I hope it goes on this way! THis is fucking riverdale people! Where absolutely EVERYTHING happens in a small quiet town! lol!
 

Archie - Of course as soon as you get into juvie, you get your shirt stripped off and get watered and soaped. Of course other juvie minor delinquants looks buffed up af. Lol! I won't even start with all the reference to other prison movies/shows! lol! I gotta appreciate ARchie going all Troy Bolton, trying to rally the troops togehter for a friendly game of juvie football... MWahahahaha.... Of course, you had to have the cheerleaders singing their little hearts out (gotta admit, Veronica looked so cute though)

Bughead - S1 feels! I'm liking them right now, nothing more to say about it really! I think the show's learned from S2 and I'm enjoying them together! The sad puppy eyes from when Jughead learned about Betty's seizure was so endearing to watch... and how they're so getting off from investigating crimes and murders! lovely babies! And I like S3 jughead! More cool and collected!

The murder/suicides--- I gotta say that was harsh! It was a total OMG shocker for me. Not that I loved Dilton and Ben, I liked them and couldn't help feeling sad that they're dead!
Gargoyle stuff - It's interesting... Cheesy interesting! Curious to know as to what the parents were up to and how the gargoyle stuff relates to them.

Cult stuff -- I severely dislike that Evelyn girl.

MEvin stuff --- Oh, please please please make it stop. Moose is such a douche and I totally understand he's not ready to come out of the closet but FFS, communicate! and Kevin, so desperate! This is not going to end well and I hope they kill it as quickly as possible. 

REturn of Joaquin - Oh man, what a cutie with the brightest of blue eyes! He was a bit of a bad-ass and who knows if he really meant Archie to scratch the Ghoulie dude! I do hope he meets up with Kevin, only to see what might happen! 
Cheryl - alwasy the queen of queens! She is invicible! lol

Love the show, as crazy as it might get! 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, man. Catching up on two weeks at once. I guess this show already didn't understand high school, or journalism, or contract law, or organized crime, or gangs, or conflict of interest, so it's not totally surprising that it doesn't understand the justice system, but can it not even understand how tattoos work?

Also, after his awkward, privileged speech about how playing football will redeem them all as men, I kind of want Archie to get beat up by all the other prisoners.

And, why the frick is Veronica working as a waitress if she still owns Pop's?

Oh, man. Catching up on two weeks at once. I guess this show already didn't understand high school, or journalism, or contract law, or organized crime, or gangs, or conflict of interest, so it's not totally surprising that it doesn't understand the justice system, but can it not even understand how tattoos work?

Also, after his awkward, privileged speech about how playing football will redeem them all as men, I kind of want Archie to get beat up by all the other prisoners.

And, why the frick is Veronica working as a waitress if she still owns Pop's?

16 hours ago, Snookums said:

Ethel once again has to be the punching bag for the plots; remember everybody, if you aren't model thin the very idea of you being attractive to somebody is hilarious! Also, your gaming boyfriend will jump out a window! Ha ha! I guess the showrunner is trying to cross Slender Man, Jumanji and It or something.

Yeah, I don't understand the shift in this show where we're supposed to feel contempt for Ethel. That's not how it started out, but, at some point last season, I guess she wrote a mean letter or something and now she doesn't deserve to exist? The part where Betty was hyper-focused on how Ethel's "boyfriend" wasn't really really her boyfriend in the midst of a murder investigation seemed really weird and mean to me -- even if Ethel was exaggerating their relationship to make herself feel better... why does that matter? How is it helping anyone to try to make her admit it?

Also, I'm not just saying this to be contrary -- it seems pretty clear that Ethel should be the student council president now. She's the only one who filed all the paperwork to be a candidate and then didn't either drop out of the race or get disqualified. Why is their principal acting like it's totally fine for the popular girls to decide this amongst themselves?

15 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I mean.. I don’t know. I don’t want to watch Sabrina at all so any tie in is a huge part of the reason why Riverdale is turning me off this season.

I'm really looking forward to Sabrina, but I didn't need this show to also be Sabrina, and I'm shocked that that seems to be what it's doing. I would have been perfectly happy for Riverdale to be detective land and Greendale (or wherever Sabrina is) to be witch land and not have the two things cross.

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Does Cheryl have a Southside Serpents tattoo?

Does anyone have a Southside Serpents tattoo, or does FP just gently brush them with Halloween makeup while they sit outside and pout?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I love how batshit crazy this show is. People are taking it way too seriously. It knows exactly what it is and it capitalizes on it because that's part of its charm. This show is never going to give a realistic take on high school kids or the mob or murder mysteries and that's fine. As someone else said, it's kinda like a soap opera for teenagers and it's always been that way. I mean, season one had Polly run away to a monastery because she'd fallen pregnant with her cousin's twins before he was murdered by his father the drug dealer who also ran a maple syrup business lol. They just embraced that weirdness and doubled down on it and it's glorious. It's not the best show on television but it is the most entertaining one. 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

So I am LIVING  for this show!

Obviously nothing they do will top season one but I feel as though that happens with most shows. Season two, while I did actually enjoy most of it the so called big reveal at the end was a mistake, we all know that. But holy cow, this season is great.

2 minutes ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

I love how batshit crazy this show is. People are taking it way too seriously. It knows exactly what it is and it capitalizes on it because that's part of its charm. This show is never going to give a realistic take on high school kids or the mob or murder mysteries and that's fine. As someone else said, it's kinda like a soap opera for teenagers and it's always been that way. I mean, season one had Polly run away to a monastery because she'd fallen pregnant with her cousin's twins before he was murdered by his father the drug dealer who also ran a maple syrup business lol. They just embraced that weirdness and doubled down on it and it's glorious. It's not the best show on television but it is the most entertaining one. 

Completely agree, it's not a realistic show and it's not trying to be realistic, think some people still don't quite understand that. They want it to make as least sense as possible because that's what works for them, I think that might be what went wrong last season they tried to make it a little more serious than it needed to be.

Chuck crazy ass Gargoyle Kings creeping round in the woods after dipping themselves in blood and rolling round in twigs and leaves at me all day, every day.

Love the fact they're giving us a load of different mysteries that I'm sure will all tie together at the end (the cult, Mad Dog, and the whole gargoyle game).

I personally don't think they're making it actually supernatural, just giving it that vibe with someone behind the whole thing at the end. There are fairly reasonable explanations for all the 'magical' things occurring.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Eh I don’t take this show seriously and I don’t expect them to do

high school realistically. And I like supernatural stuff but not for this show. That’s not what I signed up for regarding it to seasons ago. And yeah I bet it’s not even real supernatural either but whatever it is, it’s going to be dumb and stupid. Like someone else said, just like last  seasons black Hood. The show just isn’t telling any stories I’m all that interested in. I’m going to try and stick it out, as I said I love the cast but it’s sad that even Bughead who i stated many times over would keep me here can’t even keep him in this show at this point.

Share this post


Link to post

We got a bit of an answer on how Archie was framed, they said Hiram paid three thugs to give false testimony against him.  No surprise there, I guess.

The only thing that bugged me about this episode was the police putting down the football game/riot.  All those cheerleaders there were witnesses, and they could see that no one was rioting, and that it was simply police guard brutality.  All those girls and none of them had a phone to record that on video?  I'm not buying it.

I'm sure the gargoyle king monster isn't a real monster, just somebody in a suit like in a Scooby Doo mystery.  Even though Netflix is coming out with the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, so apparently there are supernatural powers in this world - IF that show exists in the same world as Riverdale.  Too bad Sabrina isn't on the CW.

The names on this show make me laugh.  Mr. Evernever, for one (the name's from the comics, I know).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

The only thing that bugged me about this episode was the police putting down the football game/riot.  All those cheerleaders there were witnesses, and they could see that no one was rioting, and that it was simply police guard brutality.  All those girls and none of them had a phone to record that on video?  I'm not buying it.

Maybe the guards took their cell phones at the same time they gave them permission to do a cheer routine on prison property?

Also maybe they've dropped the plot line about Mr. Lodge wanting to open a for-profit prison and now whatever's left over from that has been recycled into this? Is that what's happening? I don't know. :(

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, SourK said:

Maybe the guards took their cell phones at the same time they gave them permission to do a cheer routine on prison property?

Also maybe they've dropped the plot line about Mr. Lodge wanting to open a for-profit prison and now whatever's left over from that has been recycled into this? Is that what's happening? I don't know. :(

I’m sure at some random point they will bring up Hiram’s prison, maybe not even this season but next season!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×