Type keyword(s) to search

Forged In Fire - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Monty said:

I also wonder what they do with the chopped-up pigs when they're done. I hope there's a barbecue involved.

I think they probably end up in the garbage.  Figure the blades used aren't sterilized between tests.  Also, the carcasses don't seem like they're in any condition to be cooked.

David's cavalry sword sure made short work of all those tests. Watching the slo-mo, I was really impressed with how far it flexed and then came back to true. I figured the other guy had it in the bag, but David's sword definitely did more damage and held up better.

Looking forward to the Naginata next week (why don't they give us previews anymore? I wants them!)

• Love 2

Well, hello!  I finally got this dang forum to load for me, recent comments and all.   Moving on here, this was an awesome episode.  A lot of times I have to work at figuring out what the weapon is and the history, but this time I knew exactly what it was, so that was cool.  I'm just constantly floored at how talented and quick thinking the bladesmiths are and I'll tell you, I would never have thought there would be so many floating around.  What an amazing craft.  I read an article the other day that said this show is gaining viewership in leaps and bounds, so fingers crossed it'll be around for a good while!  Who knew, a reality show where everyone is decent, and talented, and no one is yelling at each other!

• Love 6
On 1/26/2017 at 2:23 AM, johntfs said:
On 1/25/2017 at 3:54 PM, Monty said:

I also wonder what they do with the chopped-up pigs when they're done. I hope there's a barbecue involved.

I think they probably end up in the garbage.  Figure the blades used aren't sterilized between tests.  Also, the carcasses don't seem like they're in any condition to be cooked.

What if they gave them to the nearby gym to be used as punching bags, ala Rocky?  I always think it's such a waste that these piggies must be tossed after the chopping. 

Edited by Cowgirl

Boy, a lot of failed weapons tonight. I was sorry to see Erich and Walter go home early, as I was rooting for them over the younger fellers, both whom I found kind of annoying. The naginatas were both very cool though, and the canister Damascus pattern on Walter's blade was beautiful.

I got a kick out of the judges cheering when he finally got the canister off his billet. Looks like the round one challenge next week will be hatchets, which should be interesting.

• Love 2

I agree.  Those were the last two I'd thought be standing and I sure didn't expect Theo to win.  I was really surprised, and I did feel like the fate of the Naginata was less on skill than failure.  It was kind of a bummer.  But......I'm always going to have something positive to say because I love this show.  I loved the mystery steel.  My favorite ever is the canister.  I am fascinated watching how that metal is transformed. 

That sentence I wrote made no sense.  I MEANT that the Naginata wasn't adequately shown, that the winner benefited from blade failure.  Not sure that made any more sense. 

• Love 1

This episode in particular brought back a question about this show I have from time to time: How the heck to they transport these weapons across the country?  A knife, theoretically, you could put in your checked luggage and pray it doesn't get lost, but an 8 ft Japanese spear? Not so much. Or do they FedEx them and the contestants come separately?

I never thought about that before, there must be some sort of special arrangements.....I guess I always assumed everyone drove and took the weapon along, but that makes zero sense.  So either private transport, which is expensive, or they have to have some sort of deal with an airline, maybe it is in the end credits who they use?  Can you just imagine being the person making the arrangements for that?

I've wondered about how they transport the weapons too, and all I can figure is that they must send them by Fedex or freight, and the contestants come later. I can't imagine any airline allowing these swords and spears and such on the planes even as checked luggage.

I love this show, but agree this was a rather disappointing episode. I believe there was a catastrophic failure at every stage of the competition, so we didn't get to see all the tests (which are my and my son's favorite part). I'm sure Theo and Joe were disappointed as well - that's not the way you want to win, and not the way you want to lose. But as always, these guys are the very picture of class and good sportsmanship all the way. Loved how Theo wanted the competition to go on somehow in spite of the split handle.

• Love 3

This was a great episode.  First, they had a contestant from my state of Wyoming. Wyoming people never make it onto t.v.! Too bad he was eliminated first though.  I wondered if we had any bladesmiths in our state, and now I know.   Second, I loved the first challenge with the mystery metals.  That was a new twist and really showed off the skills and ingenuity of the contestants.

• Love 2

I feel like there are three broad categories that contestants fall into: SCA (makes swords for their medieval-reenactor pals), hunters (makes knives for killing boars in the woods), and horse people (started with horseshoes and then decided to branch out since they had a forge right there). There's a lot of crossover. ANYWAY, that third category is where I expect Wyoming bladesmiths to come from.

• Love 3

Some of these guys (and gals) have really nifty home set ups.  I guess that would be those who make blades, etc. for a living.  I love seeing what kind of equipment is in their sheds.  Even if I have no idea beyond "that could hurt me, better not touch".  Though I still remember Ryo (?) in his backyard and the fire department.  His neighbors were either really tolerant or totally sick of him. 

• Love 2

Well, the hatchet part was cool.  I felt bad for the young guy, but Jesus, who forgets what they're supposed to make in the middle of making it?  This is another episode with truncated testing, which sucks.  Especially when you know Doug was going to gut the hell out of something with those blades.

• Love 5

Yeah, Stephen didn't appear to be the sharpest tool in the shed (no pun intended, but appropriate in this forum) right from the beginning. I thought he had put a curve into his blade when he was making it and I didn't notice it didn't fit the brief until Doug mentioned it.  I did like the way he took the criticism in the first round and modified his hatchet to make it to the finals.

If he was 19 and the other guy (Jay?) was 69, I think that was probably the greatest age difference we've ever seen on the show and I'm surprised they didn't mention it. 

Does anyone else know why they're still numbering these episodes as season 3 instead of season 4?  There was a several month layoff and it makes no sense to me.

Next week, 2nd chancers, I love it!

• Love 4

I was SO excited about this episode, and then.......pfffffffft.  This is the second one (this season!) where the winner hasn't even had the final tests!  Not their fault.  I get it.  I've already established I'm still learning about weapon history, so I was thrilled to understand this from the start.  I started to sit there agape thinking Stephen was just acting for tv, because he had a great set up, but, really?  You forgot the parameters?  I don't want to see this unique show fall under the reality umbrella.  Color me disappointed.  And I didn't see a preview either, but I was ticked off so I may have missed it.

• Love 1

I feel like the most recent episode (hatchet/haladie episode) shows how much integrity this show really has.  The producers must know that the audience LOVES the tests--we live for "It will kiiilll" etc. but they still aborted the test once it was obvious that the one guy's haladie didn't fit the requested parameters and was going to lose anyway.  I have a feeling that a lot of reality/competition shows would just say, fuck it, show the tests anyway because it is entertaining.  Of course, I was disappointed not to see the full test but I respect their decision.  Plus, I wanted the older guy to win.

This show rocks.  I'm always telling people about it and encouraging folks who I know enjoy history/handicraft/hunting, etc. to watch.

• Love 5

Wow, two episodes in a row with aborted testing. Bummer, but I was rooting for Ray anyway - his haladie was beautiful. I bet they could probably get several seasons worth of episodes just out Indian weaponry alone. It was nice to see Stephen listened to the judges' critiques at the end of round one dramatically improved his hatchet because of it. Too bad he didn't listen a little closer to the parameters of round three. It's such a treat to watch Doug handle weapons, I was really looking forward to seeing his use the haladies.

Boy, the peanut gallery judges were really bringing the pithy comments tonight. They must've been punchy, lol. I so appreciate the lack of pretension among them, it's so refreshing for "reality" tv. They're as entertaining as the actual weapon making process.

So next week we get returning competitors, which is cool. But when they say Season Finale, WTH does that really mean?! These dumb split seasons make it so difficult to keep track of what airs when and which season is which.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

These dumb split seasons make it so difficult to keep track of what airs when and which season is which.

ITA.  Episode 10 of season 3 aired on October 25, 2016.  The previous seasons had been 8-10 episodes long. The show was off the air for 10 weeks and when they started again on January 10, 2017, instead of being season 4 episode 1, it's still season 3.  Of course, there is no season-long arc involved, each episode is self-contained.

It does look like the season 3 finale will be next week, as there is no FiF episode listed for the following Tuesday.

• Love 2
On 2/1/2017 at 7:21 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

This episode in particular brought back a question about this show I have from time to time: How the heck to they transport these weapons across the country?  A knife, theoretically, you could put in your checked luggage and pray it doesn't get lost, but an 8 ft Japanese spear? Not so much. Or do they FedEx them and the contestants come separately?

Particularly since one of the contestants was from Alaska. Can't possibly be driven, must be shipped. It is possible to have the weapons as checked luggage on an airplane, given a secure wrapping and probably building a crate for the larger spear-like weapons. Have fun explaining that one when you check your oversized luggage. Personally, though, I'd rely on Fedex or UPS to get the weapon there quickly and undamaged, rather than an airline.

• Love 1

Well, I found the redemption episode to be rather uninspiring, and a poor way to end the season.   I don't understand how they picked these particular 4 contestants as worthy of a 2nd shot.

I was all excited when Wil said "and slice through some apples" instead of his more usual "an apple slice" and here we didn't even get to see it.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Well, I found the redemption episode to be rather uninspiring, and a poor way to end the season.   I don't understand how they picked these particular 4 contestants as worthy of a 2nd shot.

I was all excited when Wil said "and slice through some apples" instead of his more usual "an apple slice" and here we didn't even get to see it.

From what I could determine 2 of the guys (Gabriel and JD) were eliminated due to bad judgement (poor time management and not listening to the requirements) and the other two (Brandon and Clarence) were eliminated due to bad smith-work (cracked handle and cracked blade).  Gabriel seemed to be the only guy that actively learned from his mistakes by managing his time a whole lot better.  The only reason Clarence went forward was because JD did an even suckier job than he did.  I suspect that overall the judges probably wanted to give Gabriel the championship at the second challenge but were forced by the parameters of the show to choose which of the remaining blades was the "least worst."

I hope if they do another "Redemption" challenge they pick people eliminated through bad luck or bad circumstances rather than those who honestly screwed the pooch by not listening or making bad choices.

• Love 4

I'd like to see redemption given to smiths who were tripped up by one of the unique metal gathering challenges (tried to use a car spring, then had to quickly switch to axle, ran out of time) or something like that.  

And I think it was pretty clear that this Damascus ladder challenge needed to be one of the four hour deals rather than the three they gave them.  It was just a lot of work even for the ones who knew what they were doing. It's a shame, because I think the show messed up on the time management in an episode where they were bringing back known mis-managers of time. We probably could have seen some really neat work done with the extra hour.

On a personal note, since discovering this show, I've been eyeballing some hand forged cutlery for my kitchen. I'm still having a hard time convincing myself that my perfectly good Henkels 8 inch chef needs to be replaced with a $400 hand forged one. But I did finally cave in and bought myself a 6 inch western chef for my birthday, since I don't have a knife like that.

• Love 3

So, third episode in a row with partial or aborted testing. Bummer! Gabe did seem to be the only one with any sense of time management skills. I totally agree that bringing back former contestants who simply had bad luck or unfortunate circumstances is something I'd like to see. And the ladder Damascus definitely should've been a four hour challenge. But even so I enjoy seeing former contestants get another chance.

I had to laugh when Wil started one of his (overly loud) countdowns and startled Jason - you can actually see him jump.

I'm sad this show is done already, again. Come back soon, Forged in Fire! How will I know if something weel keel without you?!

Edited by Maelstrom
Stupid autocorrect
  • Love 6

Yes, I don't think this episode was the kind of drama the producers were looking for. Although it does point out that they really do enforce their deadlines. I used to love a show called "Junkyard Wars" (originally "Scrapheap Challenge" in the UK), where contestants designed a machine to achieve a certain purpose out of materials from  (an occasionally artfully seeded) junkyard, but it was clear that they frequently ended up extending their times so that contestants could finish and actually have a product.

Also, maybe the forges could be better scattered around the room, not back-to-back, rather than cause contestants potentially fatal heat prostration?

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:50 AM, johntfs said:

I hope if they do another "Redemption" challenge they pick people eliminated through bad luck or bad circumstances rather than those who honestly screwed the pooch by not listening or making bad choices.

I concur as well.  I had high hopes for this episode because I immediately recognized everyone and was happy to see them back.  For about a hot minute, then things began to fall apart.  It didn't read "redemption" so much to me as "hey, don't eff up your second chance!".  I wasn't enthralled with the blades either, I know I'm not the most knowledgeable, but I didn't get a Viking feel from them.  Overall, not a strong ending to the season, but I'll always watch because it is a higher quality show.  On to next season ......this one went really fast!  I wonder how long we'll have to wait.......

• Love 2
On 2/15/2017 at 8:07 PM, Monty said:

Bringing back old contestants is fine (and how many bladesmiths are there, anyway?) but these were all people who were eliminated first. And...it kind of felt like it.

So much this.  Two were spending too much time at the grinder and the judges were discussing how these contestants didn't have the experience to know the pitfalls of the second round.  It was painful to see them have time management problems when that's the #1 bugaboo for every round.

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, sourpickles said:

On to next season ......this one went really fast!  I wonder how long we'll have to wait.......

The reason it went so fast is that - for reasons know only to the production company and/or the History channel - these 6 episodes were numbered as part of Season 3, which otherwise ended in October.  Shortly thereafter, there was a press release that History had ordered another 20 episodes, so there will be a Season 4, but I haven't found a premier date for it yet.

Meanwhile, maybe you'll enjoy this:

• Love 5

@Quilt Fairy I most certainly did enjoy that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks!  Also TY for the episode explanation, I'm pretty sure you've mentioned that before and I just forgot or something.  But I will say I'm looking forward to the next batch of episodes.  Let's get some more chicks up in there too!  I still love Kelly.  But at this point, I'll be happy with whatever I can get.  I hope they air it over the summer, take advantage of when other shows are on hiatus.  That would be perfect.

• Love 1

I'm so confused........just got done watching Face Off and now Forged In Fire: Cutting Deeper is on........I hadn't seen anything about this, looks like a rerun?  Watching anyway, but does anyone have any info?  I need to look stuff up more. It is Zulu Iklwa.

So I just saw on the FOF facebook page that the new epis are debuting on April 11.....or the 14 as one guy posted, but it looks like FOF official says 11th.  I'm kind of bummed.........going to run opposite of Face Off and Cosplay Melee, not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I'll see it come hell or high water.  Very exciting!!!!!!

Sheesh, I meant Forged IN Fire.  Got my f's confused.

Forgot to mention that, I too have curly hair, so I can sympathize, but there are not enough words in the English language to express my hate for man buns. Love Will, but despise his man bun. 

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

Oh man, I wish I'd have known before about Forged in Fire Cutting Deeper!  Thanks for mentioning it. When does it come on?  

AFAIK, it's on Tuesday nights in the same timeslot as FiF.

• Love 1

I fell over it this past Tuesday (21) and there were multiple epis airing, though I think only one was a cutting deeper, if at all.  I DID see a promo that indicates that FIF is moving to 9??????????????  I think I did, anyway.  It was late.  If it does, I don't know what to do, directly opposite Face Off.  They do know there are six other nights of the week, right?

• Love 1

I'm with you sourpickles -- I love me some Face Off.  Luckily I can record two shows at once, but it seems like there is something on network t.v. I like at that time too. 

I hope there is 100% less manbun this season!

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, Maelstrom said:

^^ I suspect Wil Willis has naturally curly hair that curls up super-tight. And speaking from my own experience, the only thing you can do with super-curly hair is let it go (hence last season's fluffy look) or pull it back. And to get it to lay flat while it's pulled back, you usually have to either smother it in product or pull it extremely tightly. Curly hair is not all it's cracked up to be, believe me.

Back on topic, I'm glad to see Jason back again this season. I liked J Neill just fine, but somehow I like Jason's laid-back attitude and multi-colored facial hair even better. The judges all have a good sense of humor and certainly the knowledge to back it all up.

I too could watch Doug handle blades all day.

I'd like to have him over for a BBQ........that guy can dress a side a beef.

• Love 1

It looks like they are moving the show up an hour. I frequently record the 2nd (later) showing of a lot of shows because although my DVR can record 2 shows at once, if it's doing that it won't let me flip to any other channels except those 2.

Yeah, it's at nine now, which doesn't help me one bit, since it is direct conflict with Face Off.  I know you haven't liked this season much but with the exception of last night, I've been pretty happy.  I'm going to see if I can get a friend to record it for me or something, since I don't have DVR.