Type keyword(s) to search

Forged In Fire - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, johntfs said:

I didn't hate David or anything, but I kind of like when the money goes to somebody who looks like they could really use it.  Maybe that $10K will let Jordan get some electricity in his forge. 

I hope he can build a forge that's not surrounded by hay. I kept thinking he's one spark away from burning the barn down.

• Love 5

Just saw the last part of last weeks episode and wondered how I missed the "Deeper Cut" part focusing on Wil, giving some backstory on him.

Is this a new piece of the show? Have they done this on the other judges?

In any case, very interesting and impressive life that young man's had.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, johntfs said:

I didn't hate David or anything, but I kind of like when the money goes to somebody who looks like they could really use it. 

Agreed.  Oddly, I still wonder how Ryo(u?) is doing, after the wok and fire dept. episode.  Maybe because he looked like Geoff Tate back in the day, I don't know I remember him the most.  But yes, I'll happily support anyone who is advancing a craft.  It is coming back, I think.  My husband would rather our son go to trade school than college (NOTHING to do with cost LOL) but these "lost" arts are coming back.  However, as for the show, after the second medical thing, I was about done.  Please show, take some time off and do NOT get too gimmicky!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, johntfs said:

"This time for your challenge, you'll need to get the iron to make your blades by leeching it out of your own blood."

Heh.  I had to laugh at that, cause I really wonder.............or something like "hey, mind that volcano when you hike up to forge...."

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 3:40 PM, qtpye said:

Eet will keeel.

Damn near, if you want to be me.  That's why I let my sister do potatoes.  We actually call them "Auntie Potatoes" in this house, cause everything else is instant.  Don't judge me.  I CAN cook, just not those.  Maybe if I had a better knife.....or blade...or (insert episode here)........

• Love 1
On 5/17/2017 at 6:55 AM, sourpickles said:

Heh.  I had to laugh at that, cause I really wonder.............or something like "hey, mind that volcano when you hike up to forge...."

"For this challenge you will be forging your blades in the fires of Mount Doom. Watch out for orcs!"

Loved the finalists, loved their Talwars, not loving the prolific injuries or the slightly bitchier tone the judges had in the first two rounds. Don't try to be something you're not, Show. Stay the cool, laidback show you are rather than going down the path of Drah-ma where most other reality shows tread.

• Love 4

I think one thing that bothers me about this show is that the judges acknowledge that it's hot as hell in there, and yet they are surprised and tsk tsk when someone develops heat exhaustion and has to get a drink and cool off or pass out. 

• Love 4

Love that they rerun epis on Sunday, so I get to see stuff twice, and I always find something new to discover.  Forgotten how much loved the youngest ever champion.  THAT was cool.  Made sure my son watched, and he was like "aight, going off to build Legos now!"  Oh well, we can't all breed blademasters......

On 5/22/2017 at 10:05 AM, Biosynth said:

I think one thing that bothers me about this show is that the judges acknowledge that it's hot as hell in there, and yet they are surprised and tsk tsk when someone develops heat exhaustion and has to get a drink and cool off or pass out. 

I feel like they could redo the layout. They have all four forges next to each other....they could spread this all,out a lot more.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Eliza422 said:

I feel like they could redo the layout. They have all four forges next to each other....they could spread this all,out a lot more.

It's probably set up that way for the convenience of the cameras.

• Love 1
(edited)

I liked that Neil won this one.  It's kind of cool (and rare) when somebody other than a white guy wins this thing (or even competes in it).  I was rooting for him from the start, but with 8 months of experience, I figured he'd be shit-canned in the first round.  I was surprised he made it to the finals and amazed he won the thing.  Apparently even through recordings J. Neilson is one hell of an instructor.

Also, hey, cool, J. Neilson was back tonight.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 3

I prefer the "3 hours to forge a knife in your signature style that will meet tests X, Y, and Z" - that way they separate out the people who really aren't skilled enough or have issues with time management after the first challenge. It was clear in the last episode I saw (the one where the contestant burned his hand so badly) that he did not have a lot of experience forging - what the heck was he doing on a show called "Forged in Fire"?

Also I think the competitors should be forced to sit through a basic shop safety lecture (they may actually be)  - things like warning people when you are arc welding or how to do the hot metal in a tight workshop with several other people. Was it this last episode where David wanted the floor safety people to make the young guy turn the tip of the knife the other way on the belt sander? Sure, not all home shops have those big power hammers or gas forges (many still use coal forges) but the ultimate point is that I am not watching this show to see someone damage themselves permanently or have a heart attack on the forge floor. 

Also, I know my metallurgy better than a lot of the contestants do, and I am just a geologist, not a knife-maker.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, CerealKiller said:

I want to see an episode where Neilson, Baker and Knight compete. :)

I don't think that would be fair to David Baker.  The other two are full-on Master Smith.  Baker, as I understand, mostly makes movie props and the like.

According to David Baker's bio:

"David Baker is a world-renowned sword smith who specializes in recreating some of the world’s rarest edged weapons."

"David has been called upon to make weapons that haven’t been seen outside of museums in centuries. He is the go-to guy for accurate replicas from samurai swords to sub-machine guns."

Sounds like he could hold his own at the forge

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, CerealKiller said:

According to David Baker's bio:

"David Baker is a world-renowned sword smith who specializes in recreating some of the world’s rarest edged weapons."

"David has been called upon to make weapons that haven’t been seen outside of museums in centuries. He is the go-to guy for accurate replicas from samurai swords to sub-machine guns."

Sounds like he could hold his own at the forge

I stand corrected and educated. 

That said, I kind of prefer the show as is without doing a stunt thing like the judges competing directly.  I wouldn't mind seeing another indirect competition with each one picking a favorite smith, though.

• Love 1

I'd also be happy if they did something like the Great British Bake-Off's "Masterclass" episodes. If each judge wanted to spend twenty minutes demonstrating what it is they do, that would be interesting viewing.

• Love 6

I was mildly rooting for Ryan and then mostly because I was hoping for a black Forged in Fire Champion, but I was fine with Steve winning.  I am calling it now, though, the "bullet test" is kind of stupid and I've never seen it prove anything.  I admit I haven't seen every episode, but each time I've watched the bullet test, both blades have split the bullet while receiving no real damage in return.  While people have tied in other tests, those same tests have also separated out blades that have done better or worse against them.  To my knowledge, the bullet test has never done this.  Honestly I think a better test would have been to see the Charays tested against steel sheet or actual armor, since it was stated that they were supposed to, you know, punch through armor.

• Love 2

I think they've only done the bullet test a few times.  And truthfully, it had better slow mo shots for the TV than actually accomplishing anything, if I remember correctly.  I too would rather see a shield test or a fish chop.  But last night was pretty good...I have hope for the future.  I flipped like a champ b/w Ink Master and Forged, so I'll have a better opinion next week after the rerun.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sourpickles said:

Off topic a bit, has anyone else seen Man At Arms: Art Of War on El Ray channel?  My husband fell on it by accident this weekend and I was sort of intrigued. 

Nope.  Never heard of it.  I actually missed the last episode of Forged in Fire and am looking forward to catching the Cutting Deeper version next week.

21 hours ago, johntfs said:

Nope.  Never heard of it.  I actually missed the last episode of Forged in Fire and am looking forward to catching the Cutting Deeper version next week

I think two weeks, after July 4 holiday?  It isn't on tonight and my son saw (yay for great parenting!) a commercial in the FIF marathon today that he thinks may be a new epi on July 11.  Not sure. I clearly was out of the room.......

(edited)

Pickles, I recall seeing ads for July 11 as the next new ep, too. Unfortunately! My week just isn't the same without hearing if something weel keel or not. ;)

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 1
(edited)

I mentioned this once before but if you get EL REY channel (I have DirecTV) there is a new epi of Man at Arms: Art of War tonight at 8.  For me, it's going to take the edge off of not having seen FIF for a while.....just thought I'd share in case anyone wants to watch.  This one is about the Aztec Empire. 

Edited by sourpickles
Elray vs. El Rey
  • Love 1

Yay, we're back! I actually ended up liking the master and apprentice concept, even though I wasn't sure about it at first. Though I wonder what was up with Jesse leaving midway through?

I was really impressed by how well Zack did in Jesse's absence, and I hope they bring him back in a future episode. Seems like he has a lot more to offer. As much as I would've liked to have seen him take how the win, the other team's weapon was definitely the right choice, and they were certainly entertaining to watch.

I got a kick out of Doug talking about the jelly roll at the beginning (that J would know what to do with it, that Dave would eat it, and Doug himself would just look at it). The judges' senses of humor and good attitudes make this show a hell of a lot of fun.

And all that talk of jelly rolls and cinnamon rolls is making me hungry for pastries.

• Love 3

I would like to see him back as well.  I felt the end result was going to be kind of skewed, just because it ended up being essentially one vs. two.  Not sure how I liked this epi, but I'll take it. 

• Love 1
(edited)
19 hours ago, sourpickles said:

I would like to see him back as well.  I felt the end result was going to be kind of skewed, just because it ended up being essentially one vs. two.  Not sure how I liked this epi, but I'll take it. 

I felt it was a bit skewed, too, but I think it skewed in Zack's favor.  Since he was one smith, Zack didn't have to worry about miscommunication, different vision or coordination after the first round.  He handed in the best cleaver overall and his Nzappa was a close second to the winner.

I will note that the master/apprentice cleavers were some of the ugliest, crudest things I've ever seen produced on this show.  Most of the first/second round weapons end up being items I wouldn't mind owning, but those things were just fugly.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, johntfs said:

will note that the master/apprentice cleavers were some of the ugliest, crudest things I've ever seen produced on this show. 

I'll give you that, but DANG did they whack the gravy out of stuff.  I'll take that any day.  I like pretty things (well, pretty shiny things, I was a magpie in a past life ;)) but I'll take crude, it's what I call the poor persons home invasion weapon!

On 7/12/2017 at 3:30 PM, johntfs said:

I felt it was a bit skewed, too, but I think it skewed in Zack's favor.  Since he was one smith, Zack didn't have to worry about miscommunication, different vision or coordination after the first round.  He handed in the best cleaver overall and his Nzappa was a close second to the winner.

I will note that the master/apprentice cleavers were some of the ugliest, crudest things I've ever seen produced on this show.  Most of the first/second round weapons end up being items I wouldn't mind owning, but those things were just fugly.

I agree.  Horrible.  Just make a damn cleaver!  That whole jelly roll thing was stupid, though.

(edited)
9 hours ago, StrictTime said:

I agree.  Horrible.  Just make a damn cleaver!  That whole jelly roll thing was stupid, though.

I kind of got that part.  They were initially given long, thinnish pieces of metal and cleavers are fairly wide.  The jelly roll was to create a billet they could use to forge a wider blade.  It still doesn't excuse how gross they looked.

Edited by johntfs

Hmmm, wonder why Zack's "master" walked off? The phrasing from Will did NOT make it sound like "family emergency" which is what I think Zack said later. Whose forge was Zack working in?

I had higher hopes for a master & apprentice show, it was a good idea but didn;t quite work.

5 hours ago, WildPlum said:

The phrasing from Will did NOT make it sound like "family emergency" which is what I think Zack said later.

I think Will called it a personal matter to keep it as vague as possible because, well, it's a private matter and nobody else's damn business.  If Zack wanted to add that it was a family emergency that's his choice.  It's kind of a decent thing to not blab everything about why somebody's leaving in this age of oversharing.

And yeah, the master/apprentice didn't really come together.  That really showed in that one of the apprentices came close to winning the whole thing by himself.  I think a big reason for that was that he didn't have to deal with the special rules and could just get on with the doing of stuff.

Holy shit. Watching Doug Marcaida behead two ballistics dummies may just be my new favorite tv moment ever.

Also, it's cool seeing how both Doug and Wil's knowledge of bladesmithing has grown over the seasons. I enjoy the way the judges can joke around with each other and with the contestants.

So after seeing another contestant break his blade by trying to straighten it cold, why would another one go and do the same thing? I had the same horrified expression on my face as Wil when the second guy started bending his blade. Yikes.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

Holy shit. Watching Doug Marcaida behead two ballistics dummies may just be my new favorite tv moment ever.

Also, it's cool seeing how both Doug and Wil's knowledge of bladesmithing has grown over the seasons. I enjoy the way the judges can joke around with each other and with the contestants.

So after seeing another contestant break his blade by trying to straighten it cold, why would another one go and do the same thing? I had the same horrified expression on my face as Wil when the second guy started bending his blade. Yikes.

Yes to this whole post....and I hope someone can get a screen shot of "Will's look of horror face". I agree...I felt the same way watching that guy try to straighten his blade COLD. DUH!

• Love 3

I too enjoyed the beheading, was not expecting THAT at all LOL.  Glad the Gherkin didn't see it though, however the more he watches this show, the more bloodthirsty he gets (he even has opinions on which color dye or whatever they should use for stabbing/disemboweling)!  Just kidding, I don't think he'll murder me in my sleep or anything.  Yet.  He's only 9.  I like this episode, despite the missteps.  I certainly liked it better than last week, so on with ya, Forged In Fire! 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, johntfs said:

I initially read that as Ghurka and wondered when he would be getting his first Kukri.

Not yet, that's for sure!  Though we've always liked to think he'll go into a trade..............

• Love 1

I wish I could enjoy my job a quarter as much as Doug Marcaida enjoys his.  The glee with which he said: "I'm gonna try to take its head off!"  And then the fact that he did was even more awesome.

And we need memes of the judges reactions.

• Love 4