Type keyword(s) to search

My Generation: Period Set, Style, Slang, etc.

• Start Topic

I LOVED colorforms, my absolute favorite, although by my time (born 64) they were always scenes and specific  plastic pieces. I remember one Christmas getting a colorform with three Dawn dolls standing against a beach and how I loved it. And a rocket colorform. And Raggedy Ann. Favorite. Toy. Ever.

barbiecolorform.jpg.d8d82f764795f350829a6f99ebf90e94.jpgkitchencolorform.jpg.f1f1415a5fe398bdd70569bbd5030c69.jpgdawndolls.jpg.6f65123b9a434906372839a2cf5fb7d7.jpgSpirograph back then had PINS. Hah. 

Other favorite toy was Lite Brite!

A lot of these are big again as people of our generation are parents and even grandparents.

• Love 6

Yep I mentioned lite brite on the previous page but thought it was spelled light bright. My bro had one ( he was born in 1963) & my kids had one. I'm jonesing to get one for the grands but the youngest would still pop the dealios in her mouth. So I must wait a bit.

• Love 1

Lite brite, making things with light...

what a (something), making things with light bright.

Milton Bradley has a hot one, it's a twister... spin the spinner and something the something, twister will tie you in a knot? That's twister-er-er, yeah twister!

Commercials are our new folk songs.

I loved to play with wooden blocks... still one of the best toys ever... and one of my favorite things to build was a kind of cave lit up by lite brite that I could put my head in. I also had a light up troll doll (push its button and its red eyes lit up) that served as a chandelier.

• Love 2

Weren't troll dolls once known as "wishniks"? I swear they were.

In the Christmas episode thread, someone mentioned the boys being altar boys. While I was never an altar boy, I did think about being a hip, cool priest like Lawrence would have been. I think every Catholic boy thinks about being a priest (at least once).

• Love 1

So we used to go back to Georgia from Texas at Christmas in a big ol Pontiac sedan.  I was 10ish sister was 6ish.  Would fight like hell to lay up in the BACK DECK of the car!!! No seatbelts, no nothing!

It was a giant place to lay and watch the electric lines. The back deck was the coup.  If Dad had slammed the brakes, it would be a bloodbath. He didn't and those are awesome memories.

• Love 5
On 12/16/2018 at 1:46 AM, Steff said:

I was born in 68 and I think Stephanie was one of the more popular names that year.  In 7th grade, in my social studies class, there were 7 Stephanie's.  The teacher numbered us & sat us in 2 rows.  I was #6.  He literally only called us by our number that year. 

Thank goodness my  mom didn't go with the other name she had picked out.    Summer Gay.  Yep, it was the 60's. 

OMG!!!  Too funny and horrible!!

• Love 2
On 12/16/2018 at 12:46 AM, Steff said:

I was born in 68 and I think Stephanie was one of the more popular names that year.  In 7th grade, in my social studies class, there were 7 Stephanie's.  The teacher numbered us & sat us in 2 rows.  I was #6.  He literally only called us by our number that year.

You can go here and look at all kinds of data about names:

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/index.html

Stephanie was only the 23rd most popular girl's name nationwide in 1968, which means something very strange was going on in your town. 

Now, you can also search by state--it might show that it was more common locally.  But I don't think you'll find anything in the data that explains SEVEN of you in one class. 

In 5th grade, we had three Patricias, but that worked out because the teacher designated them as Patricia, Pat, and Patty (without regard to what they actually called themselves).  I don't know--if I hated the name Patty, I might prefer being called Three.

• Love 4

My first name was the top baby girl name in my birth year and my middle name was the 4th choice.

Going to a Catholic high school, there was naturally a high percentage of Marys.  In  the group of my close high school friends, 6 out of the 7 of us were named Mary in some form (Mary Ann, Mary Lou, etc.).  The one girl not name Mary was named Barbara.  We often called her un-Mary or just Un for short.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Stephanie was only the 23rd most popular girl's name nationwide in 1968, which means something very strange was going on in your town. 

Now, you can also search by state--it might show that it was more common locally.  But I don't think you'll find anything in the data that explains SEVEN of you in one class. 

In 5th grade, we had three Patricias, but that worked out because the teacher designated them as Patricia, Pat, and Patty (without regard to what they actually called themselves).  I don't know--if I hated the name Patty, I might prefer being called Three.

I checked my state & it climbed to #16.  I was also born in a large city, so that does help up my probability.   I never remember having another Stephanie in any other classes thru school, so maybe us Stephanie's shot our entire wad in 7th grade.  lol

• Love 2
4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

That chart is very interesting!  It was fun to see where my name and my sisters' names fell on the popularity chart of 1950's names.  I always think of the 1950's as the Debbie, Kathy, Linda decade!  (None of us are named those names.)

• Love 1
On 1/9/2019 at 8:12 PM, Phebemarie said:

Since we're talking names:  I wonder why Lisa was the #1 name of 1960.  Was there a famous Lisa or a movie character, who impressed all the moms of that year?  

In junior high, I was close friends with three Lisas (all born in late 1956 or 1957):  Lisa Marie, Lisa Lynette, and Lisa Mary (Catholic, that one).  Several years ago, Lisa Marie told me that her high-school-aged daughter had a friend named Lisa, who hated what she called her "old lady name."  Ouch!

On 1/9/2019 at 2:51 PM, Steff said:

I never remember having another Stephanie in any other classes thru school, so maybe us Stephanie's shot our entire wad in 7th grade.  lol

It wasn't weird enough that there were seven in that class?  Six of them had to vanish?

• Love 2

Talking about names, and apparently I have too much time on my hands, but now I'm wondering why within the same family, some of the boys go by their full name (Lawrence, William...) and some go by nicknames (Timmy, Eddie, Frank, Joey...).  I know I'm missing some...  I'm trying to think of big families I knew growing up, and I'm not sure if that's unusual or not.

• Love 1

I almost died when I spotted these in their bookshelves; we had the exact same set.  And I think I see a Time/Life series that looks awfully familiar.

5c3a92571f5ca_GBshelf.jpg.b7ae68418fd0c04b190f4844ead8b5a7.jpg

It reminds me of how in the girls' room in the Brady Bunch, they had a hippo on the wall that I had, too (only mine was pink).  Sometimes they get things just right.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I almost died when I spotted these in their bookshelves; we had the exact same set.  And I think I see a Time/Life series that looks awfully familiar.

5c3a92571f5ca_GBshelf.jpg.b7ae68418fd0c04b190f4844ead8b5a7.jpg

It reminds me of how in the girls' room in the Brady Bunch, they had a hippo on the wall that I had, too (only mine was pink).  Sometimes they get things just right.

The Great Books!  I literally have those books in a bookshelf in my hallway.  I think I have the entire set.  My mother gave them  to me when I first moved out after she collected them in the 60s and 70s! LOL

• Love 2

So I was born in late 1970 and remember a lot of this stuff.

My younger brother and I had Colorforms; my favorite were the Peanuts ones.  We had Legos which only came in 3 colors and you had to actually use your imagination to build stuff.  My brother drank the crap out of some Hi-C in the can.  Metal lunchboxes and thermoses.  I had a Holly Hobby one.  

My all time favorite toy was Mrs Beasley like the one Buffy had on Family Affair.  I remember one year she was destroyed by the dog or something and my mom told me she went to college.  I got another one for Christmas and was so thrilled she’d come home from college.

Those Click Clack things were totally around in the 80’s. I think they were called Kerbangers.

i recently bought my 7 year old daughter a Chinese jump rope. She played with it for about 6 1/2 minutes.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, ihatedimes said:

i recently bought my 7 year old daughter a Chinese jump rope. She played with it for about 6 1/2 minutes. 

This hurts my heart.  I want to try jacks with my granddaughters (5 and 9) but I can just imagine the looks they would give each other.  Maybe it would be successful if I started with a youtube tutorial. 

Edited by Angeltoes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

True child of the 70s here - I still drink Tab and am constantly explaining to youngsters that no it is not something new.

For me, the most nostalgic moment so far has been the Cold Duck appearance in Peggy's Day Out.  I am a proud Detroiter and Cold Duck was invented in the restaurant where my parents had their first date.  At one point in my life, it seemed the apex of sophistication.  

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

This hurts my heart.  I want to try jacks with my granddaughters (5 and 9) but I can just imagine the looks they would give each other.  Maybe it would be successful if I started with a youtube tutorial. 

Yes, everything seems more interesting to kids if they see it first on YouTube.

I will play jacks with you if this strategy fails. Then can we play Chinese jump rope and Spit (the card game)?

• Love 1

Born in 1960 here, and in our class of 40 kids 3 of us girls named Robin!  My mom said they didn't even have a name picked out for me until after I was born.  Maybe back then they didn't know ahead of time whether they were having boys or girls?  And the Colorforms above, I totally had that!!  I was so excited to see it, thank you for posting, lucindabelle!  Oh and my first crush was Davy Jones...sigh.

• Love 2

The show plus this board is starting to give me a lot of "Oh my god I forgot all about that but..." moments

One that hit me today was Garaminals; I checked and they started selling in 1972 so same year as the current season.  I remember school clothes shopping with Mom and buying them at Sears.  The concept (if you haven't heard of them) is they used color and pattern to match tops and bottoms so kids could coordinate their own clothes and they used tags with animals on them for the matching so an elephant top went with an elephant pants/skirt.   Of course that led to arguments about whether you could match say an elephant tag top with a monkey tag bottom.  I also remember I hated them for some reason, not sure now if it was style, comfort or they were considered babyish but I do recall they were my least favorite clothes and my Mom loved them probably because of the "dress yourself" help they gave.

For board games I loved Mouse Trap and a very little known (as far as I'm aware) board game called Pathfinder.   For that one each person used little plastic squares to build a maze on half of their board then took turns trying to build the opponents maze on the other half of their board and navigate through it using clues. You couldn't see the other persons maze of course you could just say move forward and they'd say yes for three spaces or no there's a wall.  Sort of hard to explain here but picture something like a maze version of Battleship (which I also liked).   It seems like there were a lot of games then that had a LOT of little parts and encouraged building the game yourself, those were the ones I was mostly obsessed with.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sigmaforce86 said:

For board games I loved Mouse Trap and a very little known (as far as I'm aware) board game called Pathfinder.   For that one each person used little plastic squares to build a maze on half of their board then took turns trying to build the opponents maze on the other half of their board and navigate through it using clues. You couldn't see the other persons maze of course you could just say move forward and they'd say yes for three spaces or no there's a wall.  Sort of hard to explain here but picture something like a maze version of Battleship (which I also liked).   It seems like there were a lot of games then that had a LOT of little parts and encouraged building the game yourself, those were the ones I was mostly obsessed with.

Okay, informal poll - did anyone actually play Mousetrap?  I can't remember ever playing the actual game (my or my children's generations), just trying to put the contraptions together and make everything work. 

• Love 3

I I totally played mousetrap! Though sometimes the ball got stuck and you had to give it a little push. Somewhere there is a picture of me playing it with my grandma.

I loved all those 3-d games. Anyone remember Seance? It had a little record player in it. And Which Witch? And some weird thing called Carnival as I recall...something like that, with four walls and a bunch of carny games.

I had Which Witch twice. Wish I'd kept it, you can't buy it for less than $100 now.5c410d8c77df4_ScreenShot2019-01-17at6_13_26PM.png.3d05a07b2aec02abb95baea6cf9b13e2.png5c410d89e466d_ScreenShot2019-01-17at6_13_48PM.thumb.png.541effa3892a44e17712490f7bbc4fa9.png

Seance!

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 6.14.19 PM.png

• Love 2
On 1/15/2019 at 8:25 PM, ihatedimes said:

My all time favorite toy was Mrs Beasley like the one Buffy had on Family Affair.  I remember one year she was destroyed by the dog or something and my mom told me she went to college.  I got another one for Christmas and was so thrilled she’d come home from college.

That is hilarious. 

I loved Family Affair.  My older sister and I had a professional portrait taken and we look exactly like Cissy and Buffy, complete with the hairdos.

The Courtship of Eddie's Father was another favorite.  I had a crush on both Eddie and his father.  Weird!

7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, informal poll - did anyone actually play Mousetrap?  I can't remember ever playing the actual game (my or my children's generations), just trying to put the contraptions together and make everything work. 

Yes, although it really was a pain in the ass to put together.

Does anyone remember this sand art craft?  You got several little bags of colored sand, different pictures, and a peeling tool. You would peel up little sections of paper and it was sticky underneath.  You would then pour the sand on to make beautiful art. lol  That was one of my favorite activities when I was a kid. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

I had Which Witch twice. Wish I'd kept it, you can't buy it for less than $100 now

I found one at a yardsale last summer for $2. I knew that was a good buy!

I remember getting a wood burning kit for my birthday when I was 8 or 9. I loved that thing and yes I burned the shit out of my fingers several times. Ah, the 70s.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, lb60 said:

That is hilarious. 

I loved Family Affair.  My older sister and I had a professional portrait taken and we look exactly like Cissy and Buffy, complete with the hairdos.

The Courtship of Eddie's Father was another favorite.  I had a crush on both Eddie and his father.  Weird!

Yes, although it really was a pain in the ass to put together.

Does anyone remember this sand art craft?  You got several little bags of colored sand, different pictures, and a peeling tool. You would peel up little sections of paper and it was sticky underneath.  You would then pour the sand on to make beautiful art. lol  That was one of my favorite activities when I was a kid. 

Didn't you put the mousetrap game together as it went? (obviously been a while since I played)

7 hours ago, festivus said:

I remember getting a wood burning kit for my birthday when I was 8 or 9. I loved that thing and yes I burned the shit out of my fingers several times. Ah, the 70s.

What about the Vac-u-form, which you used to make Creepy Crawlers and Incredible Edibles?  I loved the sizzle you got as you dropped the 1,000-degree mold into the water.  That thing was dangerous.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

What about the Vac-u-form, which you used to make Creepy Crawlers and Incredible Edibles?  I loved the sizzle you got as you dropped the 1,000-degree mold into the water.  That thing was dangerous.

I never had that but I did have an Easy Bake Oven and yes, I used to burn the crap out of myself on it too.

• Love 2

Hi all!  Wish I'd found this sooner.  I was born in 1968.  We had milk at every meal, except special occasions, but in the summer we had Kool-Aid.  The worst part was that my mom would take the little leftover bit of Kool-Aid and pour it in the next pitcher.  She did this so much that finally the stuff in the pitcher turned black and I refused to drink it. At school milk sold for a dime, and you could only get chocolate milk on Fridays.  

Some of my favorite toys were Romper Stompers (Remember those?  I'd forgotten all about mine until SouthPark featured them in an episode.), my monkey swing, my Lite Brite, and going to my friend's house where her mom let us do Shrinky Dinks.  I also had a Cootie game and Spirograph and LOVED Fashion Plates when they came out. 

My mom had me when she was older and too tired to mess with a kid, so instead of having long hair tied up in those cute bands with the two little plastic balls on the ends that all the other girls got to wear, she took me to the hairdresser and got me a pixie cut.  To this day I REFUSE and HATE to wear my hair short.  Any other woman I know who had that cut forced on them without their consent in the 70's wears their hair long now too.  It was okay if you chose it yourself, or got the Dorothy Hammil cut yourself, but it sucked to have it forced on you.  Kids made fun of me and adults thought I was a boy.  Boys only liked girls with long hair.  Ugh. 

The striped shirts the boys wear on this show are spot on.  Actually, most of the clothes seem just right.  

I remember how cool game shows were in the 70's.  I also remember watching the Donna Shore show with my mom (Must have been before I was old enough to go to school?)  During those shows there were always commercials for the Amana Radar Range microwave oven.  We got one in the early 1980's. 

Popular names in my small Wyoming town were Stacy, Tracy, Michelle, Christy, Matt, Mike, and Mark.

My first crush was Johnny on Emergency (Randoph Mantooth).  We only got one channel on t.v. (I lived in the country) and we had a party telephone line til I was 5 or 6. 

We haven't talked much about the slang.  I heard Laurence say "Right on" a couple of times.  I still say "neato" without realizing it. 

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 4

I just saw baby Andy in his high chair.  I wonder if, once he's big enough to sit at the table (and if they sort out the seating arrangements around/near the table!), he will sit on a big dictionary or a few encyclopedias?  I never had kids, but I marvel at all the fancy accessories they have now.  Everyone has a fancy booster seat.  We only ever had a big book or stack of books and it worked just fine. I also wonder if they'll have him in a walker.  They quit making those for kids after I was little because too many kids got hurt falling down stairs.  My family said that I was a hazard to everyone, zooming around in mine. I just looked on the web, and it looks like they still sell them.  However, everyone has baby gates now too.  I don't remember-- were baby gates a thing in the early 70's?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Cowgirl said:

I also wonder if they'll have him in a walker.  They quit making those for kids after I was little because too many kids got hurt falling down stairs.  My family said that I was a hazard to everyone, zooming around in mine. I just looked on the web, and it looks like they still sell them.  However, everyone has baby gates now too.  I don't remember-- were baby gates a thing in the early 70's?

I am absolutely in favor of safety regulations, but the walker ban still bugs me.  Of COURSE they'll fall down the stairs if you don't block them off.  They'll also fall down the stairs if they're crawling around and you don't block the stairs off.  How does a walker make it any more dangerous?  Fortunately my kids managed to survive before the walker ban.  /rant over

And I think what they sell now is basically a walker without the wheels.  Which might be a better idea, actually.

• Love 6

They sell walkers with wheels now. My son is 4 and he had a couple of them when he was younger. I don't know how they compare to the originals, but I think on the ones he had, the wheels were covered were plastic that let them roll, but very slowly. If I remember correctly, he really had to push with his legs to get anywhere. 

Edited by Rockstar99435
  • Love 1

Coowgirl--I totally understand aboug the pixie haircut.  It was my standard haircut until my college years.  I had a very dear friend who had the most beautiful hair--she could wesr it in ringlets or beautiful ponytails. When I begged my mother for ponytails like my friend, she pointed out that my hair was fine and straight and did not hold a curl. I have not-so-fond memories of pincurls, home permanents and pink plastic rollers.  

I went through a curly perm stage in my late 20s and finally gave up and embraced my natural straightess.   I went back to short hair for a while, but now I am very happy with my shoulder length hair.  I drag out my new 'tulip' curling iron occaisionally to change the look.

• Love 1
On 1/17/2019 at 11:57 AM, tjsmom said:

Born in 1960 here, and in our class of 40 kids 3 of us girls named Robin!  My mom said they didn't even have a name picked out for me until after I was born.  Maybe back then they didn't know ahead of time whether they were having boys or girls?  And the Colorforms above, I totally had that!!  I was so excited to see it, thank you for posting, lucindabelle!  Oh and my first crush was Davy Jones...sigh.

Born in '58 here and my first crust was Davy Jones too.  Now I look back on that and think, "What was I thinking?"  My second crush was Patrick McGoohan from "Secret Agent" and "The Prisoner".  I think that set my male type for the rest of my life because my husband resembles him and grew up watching his TV shows too.  RIP to both Davy and Patrick.

• Love 3
On 2/1/2019 at 5:34 PM, Cowgirl said:

I just saw baby Andy in his high chair.  I wonder if, once he's big enough to sit at the table (and if they sort out the seating arrangements around/near the table!), he will sit on a big dictionary or a few encyclopedias?  I never had kids, but I marvel at all the fancy accessories they have now.  Everyone has a fancy booster seat.  We only ever had a big book or stack of books and it worked just fine. I also wonder if they'll have him in a walker.  They quit making those for kids after I was little because too many kids got hurt falling down stairs.  My family said that I was a hazard to everyone, zooming around in mine. I just looked on the web, and it looks like they still sell them.  However, everyone has baby gates now too.  I don't remember-- were baby gates a thing in the early 70's?

I’m kind of hoping it’s a phone book. 

• Love 6

Oh yeah -- can't believe I forgot that a lot of people used phone books!  You can tell that I come from a small town where the phone book is maybe a half inch thick.

I laughed and clapped when the start to last night's episode about the draft said that there were a lot of cool game shows in the 70's, like I mentioned above.  I, however, was not talking about the draft. What a bummer!

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 4

I've seen a few comments on Wendi's flip hairstyle and how out of place it is or isn't, and I don't want to pile on, but I just want to say I was looking through my HS yearbook from 1972 (no special reason.  Why do you ask if I live in Virginia?) and I didn't see one single girl with a similar style.  There were a handful of girls (and one or two guys) with shoulder-length hair with a very gentle flip, but the vast majority of girls had long hair parted in the middle.  A few rebels had side parts or bangs, and there was one girl with short hair who looked like she submitted her mother's picture 🙂

But that said, I can give them a pass for the flip.  They got so much right!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Lordy lou. Here's me in 1970 and 1971. 

grad.JPG

grad2.JPG

I'm gonna say that's somewhere between Wendi's flip and what what I'm calling a "gentle flip" from my yearbook.  (Love the white gloves!)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

(Love the white gloves!)

It was my sister's graduation, so fancy time.

Lest the faded picture fool you, that was one neon lime 100% polyester dress. Them darts!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Born in 1970.  Love this show for nostalgia and the humor.  Joey is my favorite character.

I wanted Shrinky Dinks but mom wouldn't buy them.  Flash forward to last year when I discovered you can buy the plastic sheets on Amazon.  I proudly say that as a 48 year old, it is just as fun to watch plastic melt and shrink in your toaster oven.  I made awesome holiday gift tags.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 2/9/2019 at 6:17 PM, 2727 said:

Lordy lou. Here's me in 1970 and 1971. 

grad.JPG

grad2.JPG

Right. I've learned looking through yearbooks that kids aren't uniformly "updated" for the times, especially when you're in the early part of a decade when styles from the previous decade are still lingering around. I can buy Wendi having a hairstyle that isn't currently trendy as opposed to her having something that didn't exist yet, Baby's perm in Dirty Dancing still bugs the fuck out of me because it's just not the right kind of perm for that era.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Right. I've learned looking through yearbooks that kids aren't uniformly "updated" for the times, especially when you're in the early part of a decade when styles from the previous decade are still lingering around. I can buy Wendi having a hairstyle that isn't currently trendy as opposed to her having something that didn't exist yet, Baby's perm in Dirty Dancing still bugs the fuck out of me because it's just not the right kind of perm for that era.

I agree, plus styles changed much more rapidly back then and it was almost impossible to keep up.  Sometimes by the time I was able to get in on a trend it was almost over if not completely over.  Remember "hot pants"?  LOL  That's one example.  I think I wore them exactly twice before they faded into the history books.  They were "in" for about 5 minutes, LOL. 

BTW, I always thought Baby's hair was supposed to be naturally curly hair, not a perm.