Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Whimsy

My Generation: Period Set, Style, Slang, etc.

On 2/1/2019 at 10:39 PM, marypat57 said:

Coowgirl--I totally understand aboug the pixie haircut.  It was my standard haircut until my college years.  I had a very dear friend who had the most beautiful hair--she could wesr it in ringlets or beautiful ponytails. When I begged my mother for ponytails like my friend, she pointed out that my hair was fine and straight and did not hold a curl. I have not-so-fond memories of pincurls, home permanents and pink plastic rollers.  

I went through a curly perm stage in my late 20s and finally gave up and embraced my natural straightess.   I went back to short hair for a while, but now I am very happy with my shoulder length hair.  I drag out my new 'tulip' curling iron occaisionally to change the look.

My hair was/is the same!  And @Cowgirl, I had a pixie in the late 1960's.  My uncle (who did not visit very often) thought I was a boy!! 😫  The embarrassment!!!

Oh no  @Thumper!  I feel your pain.  I do wish someone would give Lawrence a pixie cut though. 

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Laugh 1

On 2/12/2019 at 4:09 PM, Thumper said:

My hair was/is the same!  And @Cowgirl, I had a pixie in the late 1960's.  My uncle (who did not visit very often) thought I was a boy!! 😫  The embarrassment!!!

I was well into my 30s and had short hair, and was at a cafeteria and the guy working the line said, "What can I get for you, sir?"  I said, "I'm a girl!"  He paused for about half a second, and said, "Grow your hair out."

The ironic thing is that I say he was a guy, but I swear I was never positive.  He looked just like Pat from Saturday Night Live, except with no glasses.

My brothers were among the first in our small city to grow their hair out and were CONSTANTLY mistaken for girls.  They prohibited long hair on boys in my youngest brother's junior high, so he wore a wig!  I told him that if he really wanted to make a mockery of the rule, he'd shave his head and thereby conform to the rule but still cause a disturbance, but he wouldn't go for it.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 5:42 PM, 2727 said:

Lest the faded picture fool you, that was one neon lime 100% polyester dress. Them darts!

Thanks for mentioning the darts.  Yikes!

I know that neon lime green.  I had a dress that was neon lime and hot pink horizontal stripes.  It's memorialized in my school picture.

And if I may, you look so young and fresh in those pictures.  That's one thing I love about the late 60s, when girls moved away from beehive hairdos and lots of makeup and to a more natural look.  Of course, not everyone could pull it off like Michelle Phillips, but by and large, the whole cohort looked cute. 

I feel kind of sorry for people from the 80s.  Egad, everyone looked tortured and awful, and I just shake my head every time I see a wedding photo with huge puffy sleeves and a headband around somebody's forehead.  The only redeeming thing I can say about that era is that pretty much everybody looks better than they did then, even though they're older.  That might be the only time in history that's ever been the case.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

I got a kick out of the quart can of juice on this week's episode, including triangles cut into opposite sides of the top. Those bottle openers used to be cheap, giveaway indispensables and now I can't remember when I last owned one. (I don't drink beer, though, so maybe some brands still don't use twist tops.)

It was also clear that the boys drank a whole danged can for one meal. No wonder Peg makes fake cereal out of crackers.

That reminds me of the DeBolt family with 19 kids (most of them special needs adoptions) who were featured in a documentary in the mid 1970s.  They were shown grocery shopping so the world could gawk at how much food they had to buy. They would have been the original Duggars if reality TV had been a thing then.

I was trying to remember when the Catholic church mostly switched from saying Holy Ghost to Holy Spirit; the Internet tells me it was after the Second Vatican Council, so that fits with this time period.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 10:51 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

feel kind of sorry for people from the 80s.  Egad, everyone looked tortured and awful, and I just shake my head every time I see a wedding photo with huge puffy sleeves and a headband around somebody's forehead.  The only redeeming thing I can say about that era is that pretty much everybody looks better than they did then, even though they're older.  That might be the only time in history that's ever been the case.

What??!!  Nooooo!  I loved our style in the 80's and have thought that pretty much every era since had no discernable style.  I loved my big puffy sleeves and wedding veil headband. And, I'm TOTALLY waiting for big hair to come back!!  I look SOOOO much better with big, poofy, feathered hair! 😘

• Like 4
  • Laugh 3

Oooh!  Wendi's crocheted sweater vest (in the cemetery, in "Nine Birthdays") - based on the same pattern as Roseanne's couch afghan!  Even the cool kids (who looked down on "handmade") were into those!

• Like 3

This show really nail a lot of the little details. Get a load of the McDonald's bags in the birthday episode.

• Like 3

Some of you might enjoy reading Sting-Ray Afternoons by Steve Rushin. Here's a review.

I am younger than the baby on this show, but I remember briefly having a bookstrap I probably found at a yard sale. I remember knowing it was a bit of a relic. (This was in the '80s.) I think I used it a few times, but it wasn't practical. Mine was sort of like this one.

• Like 1

That book sounds good @dcalley.  If I can rembember, I'll have to check it out. It is weird that the reviewer says that the 70's was the era of jumbo jets (yes) and boom boxes. (No!  Boom boxes were an 80's thing! The 70's was the transister radio era.)

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 8:02 PM, dcalley said:

Some of you might enjoy reading Sting-Ray Afternoons by Steve Rushin. Here's a review.

I am younger than the baby on this show, but I remember briefly having a bookstrap I probably found at a yard sale. I remember knowing it was a bit of a relic. (This was in the '80s.) I think I used it a few times, but it wasn't practical. Mine was sort of like this one.

I had a book strap like that! 

• Like 1

I haven't noticed any macrame items in the show yet.  Am I just missing them? That was a huge fad sometime in the 70's. I think I remember that Frank had a God's Eye in one episode, but no macrame plant hangers have appeared yet that I know of. (And I know God's Eyes weren't macrame; my point is just that they were a similar craft.)

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Like 2

Eagle Rock Mall is a real mall that opened up in Glendale in 1973, which is a little anachronistic but they keep emphasizing that it's a brand new mall and it's possible earlier phases could have opened up in '72.  It's called Eagle Rock Plaza now and it's apparently really popular with Filipinos.

I HAD THAT CROCHETED VEST! There are many pictures of me in it as a little girl.

ALSO SARA LEE DESSERT CAKE!!!!! They don't make that frozen Sara Lee chocolate one layer cake anymore, but it was the best thing EVER! You had to let it defrost and then sometimes if you didn't wait you could peel the frosting back in a clump. It was areally a chocolate pound cake. I have begged and pleaded with Sara Lee to bring it back.

• Like 2

The writers must read these boards. Little Pat was playing with clackers in today's episode. They even referenced how dangerous they are 😄

• Like 4
  • Laugh 3

On 2/20/2019 at 3:56 PM, Cowgirl said:

What??!!  Nooooo!  I loved our style in the 80's and have thought that pretty much every era since had no discernable style.  I loved my big puffy sleeves and wedding veil headband. And, I'm TOTALLY waiting for big hair to come back!!  I look SOOOO much better with big, poofy, feathered hair! 😘

We make fun of the '80s today but I had such style back then.  I had tons of big poofy layered hair.  Shopping malls were at their apex and you could "shop till you dropped".  There were tons of clothing boutiques and the fashions were amazing.  I miss those days!

The problem is that in hindsight we only seem to remember the crazy stuff and have forgotten that a lot of the styles we wear now were big back then, like leggings and tunics and pointy toed shoes.  I have a photo of me taken in 1985 where I'm wearing what we would now call "jeggings" with a pair of pointy toed ballet flats and a "moto jacket" I bought at Top Shop in London that actually looks quite current.  I still have it because I loved it so much, but I was a size 2 back then so I'd never fit it now!

I could do without big hair coming back, though.  I was lucky enough to have a copious mane back then but now at 60 I doubt I could get that level of volume without a lot of work!

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 1:51 AM, Yeah No said:

We make fun of the '80s today but I had such style back then.  I had tons of big poofy layered hair.  Shopping malls were at their apex and you could "shop till you dropped".  There were tons of clothing boutiques and the fashions were amazing.  I miss those days!

The problem is that in hindsight we only seem to remember the crazy stuff and have forgotten that a lot of the styles we wear now were big back then, like leggings and tunics and pointy toed shoes.  I have a photo of me taken in 1985 where I'm wearing what we would now call "jeggings" with a pair of pointy toed ballet flats and a "moto jacket" I bought at Top Shop in London that actually looks quite current.  I still have it because I loved it so much, but I was a size 2 back then so I'd never fit it now!

I could do without big hair coming back, though.  I was lucky enough to have a copious mane back then but now at 60 I doubt I could get that level of volume without a lot of work!

I wore white Mia pointy-toed flats. When they wore out, I bought another pair. My college roommate bought a pair, too. 

I bought as much Esprit as possible from Urban Outfitters in Cambridge, then Philadelphia. 

I loved my black leggings. My BF would affectionately call them leggin’s.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

One of the characters last night said "full disclosure". Nope. That was not a thing people said in the 70s, 

William Safire would disagree.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

6 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

One of the characters last night said "full disclosure". Nope. That was not a thing people said in the 70s, 

And Willam reads “excessively” 🤣

• Like 2

I’ve been rewatching some of the episodes since I’ve heard news of the cancellation and notice that Peggy always wears the same basic dress.  Different necklines, different sleeves, slight different pleating but the main form is the same with a shirt top, fitted waist, and a slightly flared skirt.  We know she sews so I imagine she’s been working off the same Simplicity pattern for decades.  Her look may be slightly outdated (or, not - I think it’s pretty timeless.  I wear dresses like that to work now although with flats instead of heals.) but it complements her body and, at this point, she can probably crank one of those out in an afternoon. 

• Like 2