Type keyword(s) to search

S01E05: Connecting Flights

CooperTV
  • Start Topic

Stories unfold for those left behind in the aftermath of Flight 828’s disappearance. Meanwhile in the present, Cal takes Ben on a mysterious adventure that awakens Ben to his son’s perplexing abilities. Michaela tries to protect Jared from consequences at work, while keeping her romantic feelings at bay.

Monday, October 22

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

The problem isn't Danny, it's that no one will tell Ben anything about Danny until he almost literally trips over something Danny-related!

Very well said!  I'm still finding it frustrating that Grace can't seem to even consider Ben's predicament.  From his point of view, he landed a few hours after his wife's plane.  And she had moved on to another man!  There are too many emotional silos.  Grace-Danny-Olive.  Ben-Cal-Michaela.  Michaela-Jared.  Etc.  The mystery is the interesting part to me, so I'm rooting for the Grace-Danny-Olive and Jared-Lourdes pieces to wrap up.  They just seem disconnected with the rest of the show.  

Isn't Ben setting up his Web of Mystery in the family garage?  Doesn't Grace ever go in there?   Again, that whole story thread seems completely disconnected from the family dramas.

I was so sad when all Grace keep crying about was losing her son.  Even from the start, she didn't seem to have a strong emotional connection to Ben's supposed death.  

I'm not sure how I feel about Michaela's Mom practically pushing Jared and Lourdes together.  Since she lost both of her children, were they kind of substitutes?

• Love 12

They need to find some real Jamaicans to play these parts.  Both Thomas and the guy whose son was in jail have accents that suck!!!  My born in NYC brother has a more authentic accent just from being around family and friends ?

• Love 7

I found the main plot to be rather boring, but I did actually like the flashbacks, especially the stuff with Olive/Danny/Grace, and the family that they created. It is sad that the family they had ended, as happy as they were to have Ben and Cal around. The flashbacks did do a good job showing how hard this was for everyone, and how things developed without them. I did find it a bit strange that when they found out the plane was missing, Grace seemed to be mostly upset about Cal, and not Ben. I get that he is her kid and all, and you can only mourn so hard, but, with the stuff we have now and their marriage issues, it makes me wonder if they are really meant to be. I really think that, if anyone just sat down with Ben and explained who Danny is, he wouldn't mind Olive having a relationship with him. 

The stuff with the love triangle was alright, and did add some context as to how the fiance and bestie got together, but I still dont get the "friends for life" chemistry from her and Michaela so far. They seem more like casual friends, not two women who were best friends for years and loved each other, and that kind of hurts the dramatic vibes of the plot. 

Of course Ben was not going to actually give up on the voice in the head stuff, he is one of the main characters! Of course Cal has a weird connection and some kind of extra psychic thing going on. Thats how kids are affected by mysterious events! 

Excited to get going more on the mystery!

• Love 11

I do like that we've now had a taste of what a few of you have been asking for in seeing what happened after the plane disappeared. I'm not sure it really changed how I felt about anything tbh.

I did find it somewhat strange that Grace didnt seem that upset about Ben being missing just Cal. I can't help feeling that their marriage wasn't as awesome as everyone thought it was. Which sadly happens when there is a sick child involved.

I still feel that Ben and Michaela's story lines are too similar. We dont need two stories of a spouse deciding to move on with their love lives after five years. I think it works better with Michaela and Jared because they were together for a far shorter time than Ben and Grace.

I actually would have liked if they had told the story of Grace having moved on to a good relationship. I wish that she had been married to Danny. That story where Ben has to really find his place in his family's life would have been so much more interesting to me than the convoluted one we've been given.

I still think Grace sucks. She barely batted an eyelash when Danny left. I do think that Danny is too good for her.  I just find her to be so selfish in all her motivations. Ben too. He's so self righteous all the time that its exhausting. Him and Grace seem exhausting to be around as a couple. Kind of glad we missed it.

The dad's advice was pretty terrible but also kind of right. Sometimes you have to step on a few toes to fight for what you want. She should have told her friend the truth about her feelings. This secret pining for Jared while pretending she's moved on is going to blow up in her face.

The stuff with Cal is whatever. The show honestly doesn't need the extra drama of him being the chosen one on top of everything else. I kind of don't even care why the plane disappeared. The intricacies of the relationships in the aftermath of it could have been interesting enough in the right hands. It's too bad that all it is is poorly written love triangles and mysterious voices.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 7

The actress playing Michaela has no chemistry of any kind with anyone whatsoever at any point. She is so stiff with family, friends and former lovers. Maybe the audience isn't supposed to want her with Jared, so that's intentional?

Grace and Danny had a lot more chemistry than Grace and Ben, so it was a bit sad to see their little makeshift family ripped apart when the plane returned (although I'm not sure it was entirely necessary). Speaking of which, if you saw on tv that your husband/father/brother/son had basically returned from the dead, would you not be hysterical, confused, overjoyed, running for the door, etc? I thought that was weird.

Ben is an intelligent person. What happened was chaotic but he would probably come to understand that Grace had to bury him emotionally and move on. Olive was lucky enough to find a new dad. Grace needs to quit waffling and truly decide if she wants to be in her marriage. There's honestly nothing wrong with choosing Danny.

I get that Michaela's mother was sick and dying but it was a bit of a stretch that she was so pleased that Jared had hooked up with Michaela's best friend. Knitting them an afghan, even? My own mother wouldn't be that gracious.

I have to say, I'm not that interested in Cal's special abilities. It's so cliche.

• Love 21
47 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Did like the stuff with Olive, Grace, and Danny (though he was oddly blase about his girlfriend's twelve-year-old running away from the dinner table in flashback

Olive's behavior seemed predictable—especially for a TV kid who has to make an exit to keep her work hours within the legal maximum. What made me groan was Athena Karkanis' (Grace) flat, emotionless line delivery of, "Olive. Come back here," which they really could have reshot without the child actor.

47 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

[Michaela's dad] gives crappy advice

Seriously. I felt sorry for the actor having to read that line to collect his paycheck.

Speaking of compromising oneself for a paycheck, when Jared confronted the NSA guy with "or. . . ?" I got the impression the writers hadn't figured that out yet.

Does Lourdes have a job? That's a pretty nice home for one income.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

The grandfather is super chill given that the flight just landed 10 (!) days ago. 

I couldn't believe when Danny said that.  10 days !!! It's only been 10 days since the plane reappeared. 

How the hell is anything that has gone down in 5 episodes so far been able to happen in that short a time frame ?

They were kept for a day or two at the airport after landing before being set free, so really it has only been 7-8 days.  And Ben/Michaela were held for nearly a day after the plane exploded. As mentioned upthread, it seems like they have been home at least 6 months.  The timeline since their return is a complete mess.

At this point Ben has been looking for work for nearly a week.  And Michaela re-qualified in about 2 days before getting her shield back.

So, the glow outside the plane window, that no one else noticed, occurred before or after the turbulence ?  I'm thinking before.  So, aliens ?? 

Or maybe Yogurt was on the plane wing pouring some liquid Schwartz into the engine ? </SpaceBalls>

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 11

The tone of this show is so morose and there's this strange emotional detachment.  Anyway, it's weird and I don't know how I feel about it.

Overall, I was reasonably engaged by the episode.  It was interesting to see the flashbacks from the "survivors'" POV.  I feel badly for everyone in both triangles.  The whole situation is so messed up.  People lying to each other just makes everything more frustrating to watch, though.

I thought Ben's petulance at the beginning was a bit cold and selfish.  His sudden change of heart later didn't make much sense.  Where the hell did he get the photos of the other passengers, anyway?  They needed to have spent an episode showing how he got everyone's contact information, or maybe that should have happened in this episode.  

I don't see how only 10 days has passed since they got back.  Why did they need to have such a compressed timeline, anyway?  

Cal seeing a white light from the plane wasn't interesting at all, but I guess we're supposed to care?  I still don't like the idea of this all-powerful voice/sense guiding their actions. 

I couldn't hear the conversation at the airport very well on the day the plane disappeared.  When Grace said their plane was bumped, did Jared say "She didn't want to come back?"  But that would be a weird thing to say.   

I can see how Olive could become close to Danny in 3 years, but to see him as her dad?  I guess it's possible since that was her formative years, but I feel badly for Ben.  The line Danny had that he could get over Grace but not Olive was a little awkwardly written.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 10
36 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I can see how Olive could become close to Danny in 3 years, but to see him as her dad?  I guess it's possible since that was her formative years, but I feel badly for Ben.  The line Danny had that he could get over Grace but not Olive was a little awkwardly written.

I'm not buying that either. That he was in the process of becoming a father figure, yes. But I don't buy that her dad won't always be her dad (unless she had a bad relationship with him, of course, but as far as I understand, that's not the case).

I'm under the impression that they wanted the drama of those many relationships between the characters and didn't consider even once that five years may not be enough for someone to have grieved, moved on and built such a strong new relationship after 15 years of happy marriage.

• Love 9

Even though we didn't get stuck with another "rescue" this week, that episode was pretty boring.

I find it really hard to believe that Michaela's mother pushed her fiance & her best friend together like that. It's not believable. 

3 hours ago, stealinghome said:

The grandfather is super chill given that the flight just landed 10 (!) days ago.

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I couldn't believe when Danny said that.  10 days !!! It's only been 10 days since the plane reappeared. 

How the hell is anything that has gone down in 5 episodes so far been able to happen in that short a time frame ?

They were kept for a day or two at the airport after landing before being set free, so really it has only been 7-8 days.  And Ben/Michaela were held for nearly a day after the plane exploded. As mentioned upthread, it seems like they have been home at least 6 months.  The timeline since their return is a complete mess.

At this point Ben has been looking for work for nearly a week.  And Michaela re-qualified in about 2 days before getting her shield back.

Yeah, when I heard that line about it being 10 days, I said what??????. There's no way everything that has happened has happened in 10 days. And everybody is so accepting of the whole thing, "the plane is back, how interesting" is basically how they're all acting, but they should still be a lot more freaked about the whole thing.  I have a feeling that the writers don't really have a good grasp of the direction the show is going to go.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

So, the glow outside the plane window, that no one else noticed, occurred before or after the turbulence ?  I'm thinking before.  So, aliens ?? 

Or maybe Yogurt was on the plane wing pouring some liquid Schwartz into the engine ? </SpaceBalls>

Ha! I'll be waiting for the combination Yogurt action figure with toy plane. Merchandising, merchandising, merchandising!

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Flashbacks to "Walt!"

When I started watching Manifest, I already decided that if anything even resembling a polar bear or a smoke monster showed up, I was done with this show!

1 hour ago, Camera One said:

I couldn't hear the conversation at the airport very well on the day the plane disappeared.  When Grace said their plane was bumped, did Jared say "She didn't want to come back?"  But that would be a weird thing to say.  

That just had me rolling my eyes. No, Jared, that's not it at all but way to make it all about you. She decided to take $400 and come back a few hours later. That's not the same thing as not wanting to come back. If she didn't want to come back, she'd still be in Jamaica now.

I didn't have an issue with Michaela's mom encouraging Jared's relationship with Lourdes because she thought Michaela was dead. She said that she would be joining Michaela soon in heaven which made Jared the equivalent of a widow and I think most people are kind enough to realize that there's no reason to be sad and lonely for the rest of your life if someone you love dies. If she had known that Michaela was alive, of course she wouldn't have been telling him to go marry her daughter's best friend.

Now who is this eminent scholar professor Dr. Fiona (or Leona?) Clark mentioned in the newscast that Grace was watching? According to IMDB, the co-pilot's last name is Clarke so I wonder if they're related?

• Love 8

Oh, Bethany. You're a nitwit. You should have slipped back into the hidey-hole with disguises, and slipped out at night. I would suggest looking like homeless people. Take the subway to a strange part of town and go from there. 

How exactly is Michaela back on duty, anyhow? There must be so many new laws and procedures for her to learn.

i did like seeing everyone learning about the Flight vanishing. The way it destroyed their normal lives.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, mertensia said:

How exactly is Michaela back on duty, anyhow? There must be so many new laws and procedures for her to learn.

Maybe we are supposed to imagine the NSA guy looking at her coming and going on security camera feed and, in his best wolf-from-Little-Red-Riding-Hood voice cackling, "the better to see you with, my dear." If so, they should just tell her body cam's are now required—but then Jared wouldn't have a reason to be so angsty. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Probably.  But maybe it is the monster on the wing of the plane that William Shatner saw in that super famous episode from The Twilight Zone.  Monster dude is back and glows this time around.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I didn't have an issue with Michaela's mom encouraging Jared's relationship with Lourdes because she thought Michaela was dead. She said that she would be joining Michaela soon in heaven which made Jared the equivalent of a widow and I think most people are kind enough to realize that there's no reason to be sad and lonely for the rest of your life if someone you love dies. If she had known that Michaela was alive, of course she wouldn't have been telling him to go marry her daughter's best friend.

I totally agree.  And good for Mom helping to ease those two feeling guilty when they should NOT feel guilty.  At that point female cop was "dead" for two years.   A truly "dead" Michaela would surely want the best for her bestie and her love interest back on earth.  Time to move on.  "Mom" is the only person I like in this series so far outside of the Indian-American doctor.  Well the flight attendant and Thomas are okay so far too. 

But the two leads suck.  Especially the character of Ben who, as mentioned by someone above, is the most self-righteous jerk.  And also totally selfish outside of his son.  Screw everyone else in the world though until he is forced to help.  Guy is a total prick.

And again, no the NSA has no field agents, no ability to arrest anyone, no life outside the buildings with all the mega supercomputers their employees work in.  NSA on this show I'm gonna define as the Numbskull Screenwriters Agency. 

Nothing maddens me more about this show as much as the NSA running around in charge.  It takes me totally out of being able to suspend belief for even one second.  It is so bad that I can find a whole plane disappearing for 5+ years then magically re-appearing more realistic than the NSA suddenly having field agents running around.  There are plenty of other agencies these nitwits could have used starting with the FBI and military intelligence agencies.  And even the CIA which yes is not allowed by law to operate within the borders of the US but being black ops they have violated that prime directive a lot over the years.  But the NSA?  Nerds gone wild?  No way!

Edited by green
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, green said:

good for Mom helping to ease those two feeling guilty when they should NOT feel guilty.  At that point female cop was "dead" for two years.   

Are we missing the part of the conversation between Michaela and her dad where they look at each other and say, "Oh crap. When Mom realizes you're not in heaven, she's either going to feel so bad about encouraging Jared and Lourdes to get married, or she's going to think her baby's in Hell"? 
Or is the missing dialogue between Michaela and Dad more like: "Welp. It's a good thing for Mom there's no heaven, or she'd be really bummed right now"? 
At least some editors had the presence of mind to drop the Roman's 8:28 references.

7 MINUTES AGO, GREEN SAID:

But the NSA? Nerds gone wild? No way!

Heh. Not-that-National Security Agency

• Love 8

I can't help feeling that their marriage wasn't as awesome as everyone thought it was.

Didn't Ben or Grace already say something like this already in an earlier episode, that the marriage was on shakier ground, before the plane disappeared, than outward appearances suggested? 

• Love 12
7 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

That took me out of it as I don't buy that. The press would still be camped outside their house for at least the first two months.  I did like the flashbacks to help fill in the blanks but as other's mentioned I don't think this show knows where it is going yet and is just trying to write story in the dark.  There seems to be no world building. 

I find Danny's story odd. He was smart enough to realize he needed to go the day the plane returned but then, he has LITERALLY been texting Grace ever since. You would think he would have given her some time to just say hello to her husband and child. 

I am not really liking these "callings" stories. If they are going to help people could we find people more deserving or more compelling stories. I can't believe we spent two weeks with the stowaway. And it isn't like the NSA wants him to put him to death... they just want to find out if he is the cause of something with regard to the flight. Honestly, it is odd that the world isn't losing their mind over this. Just having them return 5 years later is evidence of some sort of miracle.  Everyone would be at risk. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Didn't Ben or Grace already say something like this already in an earlier episode, that the marriage was on shakier ground, before the plane disappeared, than outward appearances suggested? 

Yes, I would say there have been several hints/statements that the marriage was in trouble. I think at this point it’s reasonably clear that Michaela’s line from the pilot—about them having a great marriage—was a case of biased/unreliable narration. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I hate precocious kids on tv.  Cal would be so grounded if he were my kid after continuing to run that way, ignoring my calls to stop.

What I kept thinking during that chase scene was that the subway was way too clean. No garbage, no piles of human waste, and especially in the air shaft, no friggin rats. I just saw a story on the cover the New York Post stating that New York is overrun with rodents. So where were the rats? (I would’ve been too grossed out to watch the scene, but still).

9 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

The actress playing Michaela has no chemistry of any kind with anyone whatsoever at any point. She is so stiff with family, friends and former lovers. Maybe the audience isn't supposed to want her with Jared, so that's intentional?

Grace and Danny had a lot more chemistry than Grace and Ben, so it was a bit sad to see their little makeshift family ripped apart when the plane returned (although I'm not sure it was entirely necessary).

Yes to both of your points. I don’t feel any chemistry between her and anyone—Jared, Lourdes, Ben, Grace, her dad. I get that things are extremely awkward between her nd Lourdes, but if they’ve been friends since they were kids, it would show up in their scenes together. Even something as simple as, “You always say things like that,” would help me believe they’ve known each other for years. As it is now, they sound like two actors doing a line reading at an audition. I know that Michaela is supposed to be a brooding, internal character, but I get absolutely no emotion from the actress. It is possible to convey emotions without speaking—see JJ on ‘Speechless.’ The most expressive part of Michaela’s face are her thick eyebrows. 

And I am totally Team Danny—never thought I’d be. And it’s not just that he’s smokin hot. Danny has warmth and a compassionate spirit that open up Grace and Olive and actually made them happy during the 3 1/2 years they were together.  I know Grace wants to give Ben and their marriage another chance. But their scenes together are very stiff and forced. In contrast, Grace’s scenes with Danny are very natural. Maybe the guy playing Danny is simply a better actor than Josh Dallas when it comes to on-screen romantic chemistry. 

• Love 12

Yeah, I like Grace and Danny together a lot better than Grace and Ben. That's nothing on the actors, besides lack of chemistry with Josh Dallas and Athena Karkanis, but it's also mostly on the writing and how Grace seems to fit better with Danny. Plus, Daniel Sunjata is a great actor. 

I actually like that Olive is so conflicted between Ben and Danny. I like that little twist, with it not just being about Grace/Danny, but Olive/Danny's father-daughter relationship. Even in just three years, Olive's grown attached to Danny and they portrayed that in the flashback, especially the one where the plane is discovered and the three have a moment of...almost grieving for their family unit. 

I would love if this was leading into Grace/Ben divorcing, and it very well could be.

On the other side of things, Michaela and Jared are absolutely getting back together and Jared is absolutely going to break his wife's heart in the process. I'm hating that love triangle already, even though I totally get it. From Michaela's side, she was going to say yes and get back together with Jared 10 days ago. In Jared's world, she's been gone for five and a half years and he moved on. I get that old feelings for Jared could resurface, especially with Michaela having disappeared when they were trying to work things through. I get the actual complexity here....but I just KNOW where this is heading. Michaela/Jared will share a kiss, possibly more, while he's still married. Perhaps his wife Lourdes will be pregnant, or maybe not. And then it's going to be a messy divorce where, at some point, she stops talking to Michaela and Jared before she finally gives them her blessing. Been there, done that with plenty of love triangles that are less complicated. 

Yeah, the biggest issue with this show at the moment is the fact that everyone is so nonchalant that their plane reappeared after being missing for five and a half years and everyone looks exactly the same. The whole world would be on them. I get that if that happened then the main characters wouldn't be able to get away with their storylines, but they should have thought things through way better. 

• Love 6

I liked the episode, but it still too slow moving and un-emotional.

No one in that triangle has any chemistry with each other (Michaela and the bestie are the most awkward, stiff, unnatural life-long best friends I've ever seen) and the storyline is stale and predictable. Make it end already, NBC.

Yup

Oh, I did like the touch of realism that people on the subway pulled out their phones and started taking pictures of Ben and Cal and Ben had to tell them to stop. That would TOTALLY happen and frankly we should be seeing more of it. The timeline for this show is so weird...they wanted to deal with the immediate emotional aftermath of the flight landing and yet also treat the 828ers like they've been back for closer to six months.

THIS is the problem with the show. The timeline is ridiculous and the whole world would be gaga over this for months, which repeat stories every year. It would be the lead of every news story and on cover of People for months.The blabbermouth passenger murder would have been the top story even more, even with it solved.  BTW, I'm kinda ok with the dad/grandpa-he took Cal fishing and he is eating pizza with his grown daughter and is likely talking to them all the time.

Speaking of timelines, I disagree about:

(i) Olive and Danny forming a tight bond. They were together for 3 years and that is a long time, especially to a teen. You hear of this type of bonding in the case of divorce often and this was an even more trauma filled situation. AND it was 3 years...one timeline that makes some sense;

(ii) Mom/Grandma being happy for Lourdes and Jared. It had been over 2 years, Michaela was assumed dead and that seems a fair and reasonable time to grieve and move on. And the fact that it was 2 people who loved her daughter and would remember her even after Mom/Grandma is gone seems pretty ok to me...and would make a parent feel better, altho YMMV

• Love 9

Had to join in:  WAAAAAALLLTTTT!!!!!  CAAAAAAALLLLL!!!

And this episode, we meet the tailies!!  And do flashbacks!!!  Is Michaela as annoying as Kate?  is Ben as tightly wound as Jack?  Is Danny as smokin' hot as Sawyer?

• Love 9
50 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yeah, I like Grace and Danny together a lot better than Grace and Ben. That's nothing on the actors, besides lack of chemistry with Josh Dallas and Athena Karkanis, but it's also mostly on the writing and how Grace seems to fit better with Danny. Plus, Daniel Sunjata is a great actor. 

...I would love if this was leading into Grace/Ben divorcing, and it very well could be.

This may be giving the show too much credit, but I am assuming the fact that Grace seems happier/a better fit with Danny is TOTALLY intentional. Realistically, she’s a completely different person now than she was 5.5 years ago. Ben might have been the man who was right for her then (though the marriage was having problems), but Danny is the man for her now. He knows the real, actual Grace; what Ben knows (through absolutely no fault of his own) is a memory. I think we’re totally headed for Grace/Danny at the end of the day.

I agree they don’t have much romantic chemistry, but I also think both Josh Dallas and especially Athena Karkanis have done well at infusing their interactions with an low-key discomfort that points out they’re not right for each other anymore. Both characters are working really really hard to pretend everything is fine but it’s sooo not and deep down they both know it. Pretty sure Ben keeping the 828er stuff from Grace is going to blow up in the next episode or two and then the fireworks will really start.

side note, I do appreciate that Ben is apparently totally on-board with Grace starting her own company and has nothing but admiration for her entrepreneurial spirit. Lots of men would feel threatened by their’s wife’s success like that but he’s just rolling with it.

• Love 10

This may be giving the show too much credit, but I am assuming the fact that Grace seems happier/a better fit with Danny is TOTALLY intentional.

I think it is totally intentional. As was her freaking out about the loss of her son rather than the loss of her son AND husband. Sick kids can take a major toll on a marriage, but they can also cause people to stay in a marriage longer than they might have for the sake of that sick child.

The support group intrigues me. Was the doctor's mother one of the members? Was it a support group for those who lost loved ones on flight 828? If so, who did Danny lose?

Edited by kili
  • Love 7

I don't know if I would say that the stiffness between Grace and Ben was lack of chemistry or simply because Grace is being dishonest.  I feel like she has lied to Ben about just about everything about Danny and her relationship instead of simply being honest.  Ben is a little holier than thou sometimes but he would have understood her moving on after five years of him being missing/presumed dead.  I also wish she had been more honest for Olive's sake.  I get the feeling that Grace was checked out for most of the five years that Ben and Cal were gone and maybe Danny is the parental figure that Olive had to really bond with to get what she needed.  It is unfortunate for Ben that she also sees Danny as her Father but its not insurmountable if done the right way.  Olive should have never just been cut off from him like that.

• Love 10

After the scene a couple of episodes back with Ben and his whiteboard, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to see him now with a 'Criminal Minds'-style string map, but all I could think of was the Car Gurus ad with the sweaty obsessive guy trying to figure out which car he wants (and then his wife comes in and figures it out with 2 clicks on her phone).

• Love 7

Honestly, I hope Ben and Grace hurry up and just break up. They seem like they’d be much better fits with Danny and the young doctor, respectively. Then Grace can fade into the background and the love triangle nonsense can stop taking up so much screen time. 

• Love 11
54 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I agree they don’t have much romantic chemistry, but I also think both Josh Dallas and especially Athena Karkanis have done well at infusing their interactions with an low-key discomfort that points out they’re not right for each other anymore. Both characters are working really really hard to pretend everything is fine but it’s sooo not and deep down they both know it. Pretty sure Ben keeping the 828er stuff from Grace is going to blow up in the next episode or two and then the fireworks will really start.

I agree that they are different people now, but if it has been only 10 days I can see them lying for the sake of not letting a relationship go due to stressful circumstances.  

On a side note, when Ben mentioned that he had sent out the resumes was anyone else DYING to see how explained the "gap" of five years in work history? Just me?  2013 to Present: Disappeared into thin air and not exactly sure where I was. 

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I thought that was creepy as hell.  It makes me wonder if something is going on between Danny and Olive.  Just gross.

Yes that made me feel a little concerned they were trying to say something else there... note to writers pay attention to how that could come across. 

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, kili said:

The support group intrigues me. Was the doctor's mother one of the members? Was it a support group for those who lost loved ones on flight 828? If so, who did Danny lose?

At first I assumed it was a support group for relatives of flight 828 passengers, but then I thought Danny said something about his wife being dead. 
I guess I'm not sure now if he said it in a flashback or in the post-return present.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

At first I assumed it was a support group for relatives of flight 828 passengers, but then I thought Danny said something about his wife being dead. 
I guess I'm not sure now if he said it in a flashback or in the post-return present.

That was my question too. Was this a random support group? A young widowed support group (that’s a thing)? Or a flight 828 group? Not clear to me.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, green said:

And again, no the NSA has no field agents, no ability to arrest anyone, no life outside the buildings with all the mega supercomputers their employees work in. 

That's what they want you to think...

• Love 8
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I think Danny said the part about his dead wife in the post-return present. I remember it connecting to him telling Grace that he could handle losing her, but he couldn't deal with losing Olive from his life. I only remember that speech because I thought it was a nice subversion of tropes, where it wasn't about him and Grace.

As for the support group, I think it could have been a general support group, not necessarily for the flight 828 passengers, or else Danny wouldn't have been talking about his dead wife.

• Love 6

I’m guessing the support group was not 828 specific, and Danny’s loss was not related to that. They want us to think he was grieving the loss of his wife, but my money’s on his favorite labradoodle, Doody. Grace sure did send him packing quickly when Ben showed back up. No “Let’s make sure it’s really Ben and not some alien or something”. More like pack your shizz and don’t forget the rubbers under the mattress.

One thing the NSA does do well - not field work - is monitor communications. And yet, these folks are out there texting and talking like it’s all good. Somebody told them 2018 has unlimited voice and data. But even the NSA “field agents” would know to keep a tail on Bethany’s wife, so her showing up to get Thomas was not the best move. I’m not really sure he’s in that much danger anyway, though. I’d imagine the “NSA” wouldn’t be in any hurry to repatriate any non-Americans who were on flight 828.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I thought that was creepy as hell.  It makes me wonder if something is going on between Danny and Olive.  Just gross.

2 hours ago, AriAu said:

(i) Olive and Danny forming a tight bond. They were together for 3 years and that is a long time, especially to a teen. You hear of this type of bonding in the case of divorce often and this was an even more trauma filled situation. AND it was 3 years...one timeline that makes some sense;

I agree that Danny and Olive definitely could’ve formed a close bond over 3 years. Danny’s words sounded like a those of a beloved step-dad who was about to lose the young daughter he’d grown to love. 

2 hours ago, stealinghome said:

This may be giving the show too much credit, but I am assuming the fact that Grace seems happier/a better fit with Danny is TOTALLY intentional.

Good point—I hadn’t thought of that. And will someone please give me a plausible explanation for not sensing any chemistry or intimacy between Jared and Lourdes, Jared and Michaela, Grace and Olive, Michaela and her dad, Michaela and Lourdes,  the murdered passenger and her husband, or Bethany and her wife? Grace, Danny, and Olive are the only grouping that feels like a family to me. Correction: I did like the scene in the bar with Jared and Lourdes, when they first realized they were into each other but felt guilty about it—but they’ve been a boring couple ever since. 

• Love 5

Couldn't his wife have been on flight 828? He could have just been longer along the grief process since Grace didn't start the support group until at least 6 months after the event (the news that Grace was watching when Olive tried to feed her stated it was 6 months later).

It might be another reason why he left so quickly when the flight arrived. He may have his own now alive wife to deal with. They haven't given him a last name yet. I feel the need to re-watch the "airline agent has no information" scene to see if I can spot any other family members. I definitely spotted the murdered passenger's husband.

Although, it could be a general support group, "everything is connected" was definitely the phrase of the night.

12 hours ago, Camera One said:

The line Danny had that he could get over Grace but not Olive was a little awkwardly written.

Yeah, that didn't sit well with me either. He's known her about 4-4 1/2 years(assuming he was introduced to Olive not long after he met Grace). She's not even your step-daughter. It's creepy for a grown adult to say that about the child of a girlfriend. Also; Olive saying he's her father to... Just seemed dismissive of Ben.

That said, I really enjoyed seeing how those left behind coped and moved on. I honestly felt the worst for Ben and Michaelas parents. Losing both your children and a grandchild in one go is about as rough as it gets.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Yeah, that didn't sit well with me either. He's known her about 4-4 1/2 years(assuming he was introduced to Olive not long after he met Grace). She's not even your step-daughter. It's creepy for a grown adult to say that about the child of a girlfriend. Also; Olive saying he's her father to... Just seemed dismissive of Ben.

Since Olive had said she saved their stuff because she always knew they'd be back, why would she have moved on from Ben so quickly and accepted Danny as her father?

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

They seem to be developing the relationships of the characters in the show and not focusing enough on the mystery of what actually happened. For me, without that missing piece in place, I just am not that interested in these people. 

I think that was the mistake LOST made. You need to connect some dots along the way and provide answers. THAT is what makes the show interesting. Unsolved puzzles just deteriorate into frustration and a guessing game. They refuse to provide that "big reveal" and keep building mysteries and then just like LOST so much remains a mystery it gets boring and ridiculous. 

I am still watching with one eye. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, Bluedog100 said:

Lord, deliver me from hearing Ben shout out Cal's name one more time. 

14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Flashbacks to "Walt!"

I was going to say he's the new Walt. :)

I'm still watching. The mother was way too Hallmark. 

It's nice that Danny actually loves Olive, and wasn't some guy who pretended to be nice, to move in on her mother (I experienced some of those as a kid), but he still needs to back TF off. Olive already said that she called him, because her dad hadn't witnessed her being a screw-up, and she wanted to hide it from him. Let her know that he will always be there for her, if she needs anything, but also do your best to keep a respectful distance, instead of coming around to the house, and texting Grace. 

So will they break up, and Cal will live with his dad? 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, kili said:

Couldn't his wife have been on flight 828? He could have just been longer along the grief process since Grace didn't start the support group until at least 6 months after the event (the news that Grace was watching when Olive tried to feed her stated it was 6 months later).

It might be another reason why he left so quickly when the flight arrived. He may have his own now alive wife to deal with. They haven't given him a last name yet. I feel the need to re-watch the "airline agent has no information" scene to see if I can spot any other family members. I definitely spotted the murdered passenger's husband.

Although, it could be a general support group, "everything is connected" was definitely the phrase of the night.

For me, the fact that Danny, so far, hasn't mentioned his wife suddenly coming back, being more interested in texting Grace, and other details from the episode that I can't remember from the top of my head make it seem that Danny's wife's death is unrelated from flight 828 and the two simply bonded initially on the loss of their family members. It would be quite odd for Grace not to bring up the fact about his wife when he first appeared in this episode. He also talked about losing his wife to Grace in the present day and related her loss with being able to handle losing Grace. 

I guess it's possible that his wife is still alive and he's been dealing with that, since we know next to nothing about him. For all we know, he could turn out to be a despicable guy as some sort of twist. Ben could end up being suspicious of Danny for good reason in order to pave the way to Ben/Grace reconciling. But with everyone concerned about Grace leading Danny on and with his actions this episode, it leads me to believe that his wife's death is unrelated to flight 828.

3 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Though the line was awkwardly written, I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibilities for Danny to get close to Olive in the several years that he's known her. We also don't know much about Danny. Maybe him and his wife couldn't have kids before her death and he's always wanted to be a father. I'm giving a little leeway here mostly because I don't think Danny was creepy about his love for Olive, and he recognized that Ben was Olive's dad too. 

As for Olive's comment, she made sure she prefaced it with how she does love Ben and how he's her father. She just wanted to make it clear that Ben was not the only father figure in her life, and that Danny had been like a father to her when she thought her dad was dead. I thought it worked rather well, way better than the whole Michaela/Jared/Lourdes love triangle. 

• Love 12
13 hours ago, GaT said:

There's no way everything that has happened has happened in 10 days. And everybody is so accepting of the whole thing, "the plane is back, how interesting" is basically how they're all acting, but they should still be a lot more freaked about the whole thing.

The entire world should be more freaked out about the whole thing. This plane lost 5 years. The entire concept of time has been upended. Physics will have to be reconceptualized. There should be mass panic. Religious fervor. Cults springing up. Theories about parallel universes. All of the passengers being in indefinite government quarantine.

This a mediocre network thriller so I assume they don't have the budget to depict a world catastrophe with any kind of gravitas. But still, everyone is so accepting of this once-in-a-millennium event. It cheapens the whole show.

• Love 19
3 hours ago, AV8n said:

Grace sure did send him packing quickly when Ben showed back up. No “Let’s make sure it’s really Ben and not some alien or something”.

LOL! Good point about the 828ers possibly being aliens like in Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

1 hour ago, eel2178 said:

Since Olive had said she saved their stuff because she always knew they'd be back, why would she have moved on from Ben so quickly and accepted Danny as her father?

Because she had a Ben/Daddy-shaped hole in her heart?

26 minutes ago, Anela said:

Olive already said that she called him, because her dad hadn't witnessed her being a screw-up, and she wanted to hide it from him.

Good point. I forgot that line. Hopefully the writers didn't.

• Love 2