Type keyword(s) to search

Made In Mexico - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just got finished saying that i'm mentioning Made in Mexico (on the Shahs of Sunset forum) because there isn't anywhere to discuss it yet. So THANKYOU. I am really impressed by this show. It certainly went left with Hannah in an unexpected way, and I get the strong impression that Hannah and her bullet points and life goals and bucket list, doesn't do anything without an agenda. I do feel sorry for her. Kitzia is a strong woman. I like the love and inclusion Roby gets in her home. I haven't finished watching the season yet. I'm hoping very much there'll be another one though and I'm about at episode 5.

• Love 1

Squeee so happy there's a board for this. Okay, I love Roby and I hope he quits drinking. I absolutely believe him over Hanna. I hope Colu and Pepe get together. I love Pepe and Roby's relationship and how the whole group is so supportive of Roby. I don't think Charlie and Liz will get married. Why would you marry someone who stalked you on Facebook? I think he is a "macho".  I think the person I was least interested in was Carlos and his kidnapping story.

• Love 2

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/27/arts/television/made-in-mexico-netflix-review.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/veronicavillafane/2018/08/20/netflix-to-debut-first-mexican-reality-series-made-in-mexico-about-rich-socialites/

I love this show, and am really happy to see this thread posted.

It's beautifully shot, and the emotional intelligence of the cast makes their stories compelling and sooooooooo satisfying to watch.

More later...looking forward to reading your posts, because there is a a lot to unpack.

Edited by OldButHappy
sooooooooo
  • Love 3

I’m on episode 8 and I’m sick of Roby crying and whining about his son. Go make some fucking attempts to see him if you are so upset. I don’t know the story but it seems like he just can’t handle his baby mama getting mad at him for probably legit reasons. I don’t mind Roby in other parts of the show but he needs to either try to see his kid or stop fucking talking about it lol.

Eta: spoke too soon he did call her and meet up with her in this episode lol.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 1
On 11/3/2018 at 8:29 PM, Marley said:

I’m on episode 8 and I’m sick of Roby crying and whining about his son. Go make some fucking attempts to see him if you are so upset. I don’t know the story but it seems like he just can’t handle his baby mama getting mad at him for probably legit reasons. I don’t mind Roby in other parts of the show but he needs to either try to see his kid or stop fucking talking about it lol.

Eta: spoke too soon he did call her and meet up with her in this episode lol.

I just found this on Netflix and looks like I’m late to the party. Lol. I’m only on episode four or five. It’s ok. I just finished Singapore Social, so it’s hard not to compare. This cast seems much more like American reality TV casts. Constantly listing their CVs in conversations. Talking about how wonderful and brilliant they are. Getting overly upset at dumb comments. I’ll finish it out, but hope it gets better. 

I don’t really get all the Roby love. He’s nice and friendly, but has serious problems that he doesn’t seem really interested in fixing/changing as much as using it to gain sympathy and attention. It doesn’t help that his friends enable him. Sadly, he’ll eventually hit rock bottom and try to make real changes, just hope nothing too bad happens along the way. 

Hanna is insufferable. Narcissistic, self-absorbed, but extremely insecure. And she (along with others on the show) seem to use charity work not really because they care about others but because it gives them attention PLUS provides a shield from criticism. When the others (rightly) pointed out how her clothing line could offend people, she didn’t absorb the criticism but rather turned herself into a martyr. 

Chantal is just a basic white girl. Not sure why she’s on the show. Even her “fashion” advice for Hanna was just a basic little black dress. Completely bland and blends in with every other “influencer” out there. 

Carlos is my favorite. He seems actually genuine and decent. His family issues sound serious and he doesn’t seem to bring them up to try and gain popularity. 

Colu, Kitzia, Shanik and Liz don’t really add much. Colu and Kitzia are way too self involved. It seems like they come from money or know ppl with money, and that led to their “careers” moreso than any abilities they have. Shanik could be interesting if she wasn’t all over the place with what she wants (kids, career, become a singer). I forget Liz is even on the show  

It would be nice if some of this people had some humility. 

Update: why I don’t believe Hanna. When first confronted about allegations she didn’t seem shocked, confused, or outraged. She very quickly replied, “No, Roby suggested the fake relationship.” But then everything she says after that about what happened doesn’t involve Roby proposing a fake relationship. Her account becomes, “He came over under the pretense of the earthquake disaster, then wanted to know if we could work out in real life as a real couple.” She never once mentions how Roby supposedly suggested they fake date. It also doesn’t make sense what exactly Roby would gain from that arrangement, but you can see how Hanna might benefit from being more in the spotlight with the show. 

I'm a Mexican living in Mexico so naturally I had to watch it, it was... okay? Don't think there will be a 2nd season so I'm bummed because even though I didn't love it I'm always up for anything about my country. 

Roby is clearly an alcoholic and I'm sure he has other drug-related issues, and it really irks me because just like @Stan39 pointed out everyone around him is enabling and protecting him. It sucks because I think he's a genuinely nice guy, though I also believe he's entirely aware of his looks, charisma and his last name to get every available pass he can get. 

Hanna definitely came with an agenda, as I'm sure everyone else did, but it was far too outlandish and stupid for anyone to take her seriously. Loved that they had to break the 4th wall in order to expose her. 

Carlos maybe/probably had the most compelling story, but he seemed too rehearsed for my taste, and I was expecting him to reveal his dad never reached out to him because he was gay. 

While Shanik can't sing, I don't believe she's worse than any other reality cast-member trying to make it into music, however, she clearly doesn't fit with the group due to classicism or because she hung out with Hanna (personally, I think she had to befriend her because no one else fucked with her). 

• Love 1