Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
shapeshifter

The Media Thread Emanation

Recommended Posts

On 4/28/2017 at 8:36 PM, Artsda said:

‘The Big Bang Theory’: Mayim Bialik, Melissa Rauch Reach New Deals

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/big-bang-theory-mayim-bialik-melissa-rauch-1202402223/

That's a lot of money.  I think it's fantastic that the major stars agreed to take a pay cut so that Mayim and Melissa could make more.  Those two are as important to the show as anyone else these days.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

17 hours ago, rmontro said:

I think it's fantastic that the major stars agreed to take a pay cut so that Mayim and Melissa could make more.  Those two are as important to the show as anyone else these days.

Does that include Kevin Sussman, who seems to have been left out of the big paydays? Bernadette has been woven pretty tightly into the show, but I see no difference between Amy and Stuart.

Share this post


Link to post

There is a huge difference!  Amy is an integral part of the cast.  Stuart is not.  The show could go on quite nicely if Stuart disappeared tomorrow.  With Amy they'd have a lot of explaining to do!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

The show could go on quite nicely if Stuart disappeared tomorrow.  With Amy they'd have a lot of explaining to do!

Not really. Amy could meet someone else, or Sheldon could cross a line with her and she'd be gone. Raj could take up the slack when the story needs a gal-pal for Penny to talk out something. There are at least a couple of directions they could go with Sheldon.

Share this post


Link to post

But regardless Amy leaving would change the group dynamic and would impact on everyone.  Stuart leaving just wouldn't.  Doesn't mean he's not a good character but the only real change would be they wouldn't have someone living with Bernadette and Howard anymore and if they went to the comic book store he wouldn't be there.  Not a big deal.  There are already lots of scenes in these two settings where Stuart doesn't appear.

Amy may not be as pivotal a character as Leonard, Penny and Sheldon but she has had her share of good storylines and adds a lot to the show.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Not really. Amy could meet someone else, or Sheldon could cross a line with her and she'd be gone. Raj could take up the slack when the story needs a gal-pal for Penny to talk out something. There are at least a couple of directions they could go with Sheldon.

Writing Amy out of the script would be a huge deal since she is one of the main characters' live-in girlfriends.  Stuart is a 3rd, 4th and 5th wheel anyway so writing him out wouldn't take much.  Plus Amy is probably one of the fan favorites and it would disappoint far more people if she were to go than Stuart.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Stuart is one of my favorite characters, but I have to admit Amy is more central to the show than he is.

It's basically a couples show now, and Amy is in one of the main couples.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/2/2017 at 1:18 PM, CherryAmes said:

There is a huge difference!  Amy is an integral part of the cast.  Stuart is not.  The show could go on quite nicely if Stuart disappeared tomorrow.  With Amy they'd have a lot of explaining to do!

The show could go on quite nicely if Raj disappeared. He's become a totally useless character.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

The show could go on quite nicely if Raj disappeared. He's become a totally useless character.

I don't want Raj to disappear, I want the writers to make him a useful character. He's been there from the beginning, wasn't as skeevy as Howard was, and while Howard has grown, Raj has become pathetic.  I hope now that he's no longer sponging off his parents, he will grow and next season will find some success in his personal life.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, buffynut said:

I don't want Raj to disappear, I want the writers to make him a useful character. He's been there from the beginning, wasn't as skeevy as Howard was, and while Howard has grown, Raj has become pathetic.  I hope now that he's no longer sponging off his parents, he will grow and next season will find some success in his personal life.

I disagree. I think Raj was always skeevy, we just never heard him when women were around. If I recall, Howard once remarked to Penny that Raj was a dick, she just couldn't hear him. 

I don't think the character works anymore in the show -- it's really about two married (and one soon-to-be engaged) couples now. All the single people on the show are losers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

55 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I disagree. I think Raj was always skeevy, we just never heard him when women were around. If I recall, Howard once remarked to Penny that Raj was a dick, she just couldn't hear him. 

I don't think the character works anymore in the show -- it's really about two married (and one soon-to-be engaged) couples now. All the single people on the show are losers.

That's true. It still bugs me, though, that SHELDON has evolved and is about to be engaged, yet Raj hasn't changed at all, or perhaps has actually changed for the worse.  And since the actor, like everyone else, has signed on for 2 more seasons, I really don't want to see 44 more episodes of pathetic, loser Raj.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think I need to see Raj (or Stuart) in relationships. I just need them to have something that doesn't make them annoying, pathetic or creepy. I'd be as infuriated about getting them relationships as I would be if they were female characters. Too often the default move on shows, is that in order for a person to be happy, they NEED TO BE WITH SOMEONE! Otherwise, how sad for them. I know the show has morphed into a traditional relationship sitcom and it has suffered because of that. As long as Raj, more so than Stuart since he's part of the original cast gets something interesting and satisfying in the next 2 years then fine. Given where the show is now, I know it's going to be a GF. 

Maybe one day, tv shows will be brave enough to have an individual person (male or female) who is single and not wanting to blow their brains out because of it, and perhaps even have other characters not harp on that as a character flaw. And one day maybe my parents will get me that pony.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

On "The Big Bang Theory"'s Facebook page, they posted a lengthy trailer for "Young Sheldon." It looks excruciatingly bad, except for one touching scene between young Sheldon and his father at the end (which seems a retcon of what we know about Sheldon and his dad).

Edited by SmithW6079

Share this post


Link to post

Oh my God, the dad's played by Paulie G from "The Comeback". My hate for his character is still burning.

The actor playing Sheldon was amazing on "Big Little Lies" and I think he's doing a good job here. But the show looks... painfully bad, yes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Eeks!  This is awful!

Sheldon's father was a womanizing alcoholic.  This guy is not a womanizer.

though I have to say Zoe looks, but more amazingly sounds like her mother.  That was the only bright spot I could see.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, Young Sheldon looks like a train wreck, which might be of interest to Sheldon.

6 hours ago, roamyn said:

though I have to say Zoe looks, but more amazingly sounds like her mother.  That was the only bright spot I could see.

Sometimes I see and hear Perry's mother, other times I see her father. I hated her in Scandal. Oh, I hate Scandal now too, but not because of her.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/18/2017 at 11:59 PM, SmithW6079 said:

On "The Big Bang Theory"'s Facebook page, they posted a lengthy trailer for "Young Sheldon." It looks excruciatingly bad, except for one touching scene between young Sheldon and his father at the end (which seems a retcon of what we know about Sheldon and his dad).

OMG, this is even worse than I thought it would be!  One would think they could do much better than this!

Share this post


Link to post

I actually thought this looked pretty good. They really are trying to give Sheldon an origin story and explain a lot of stuff. I'm just surprised their house is as nice as it is.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I posted on the Young Sheldon forum that I thought it looked surpisingly good. Especially since I still believe it was conceived entirely as a giant bribe to Jim Parsons to get a couple seasons of Big Bang Theory without giving him more money per episode than his co-stars. I was shocked when they actually put it on the fall schedule. And from a BBT POV it doesn't look that great - I don't think that it meshes with everything we've been told and I'm sure that it will be the sort of continuity mess that both young and old Sheldon would hate. But as it's own thing it looks much more watchable than most of what's on television, the cast looks great, and as long as they don't too far from the source material I think the audience can past the contradictions (at least most of the audience) and can see it working. Of course it could end up sucking too. I really think it depends on if they can strike the right balance between prequel and being it's own thing and if the writing holds up. I'll give it try which is more than I was planning on.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Premiere dates:

MONDAY, SEPT. 25
8 pm The Big Bang Theory Season 11
8:30 pm YOUNG SHELDON 

THURSDAY, NOV. 2 (regular time slot)
8 pm The Big Bang Theory
8:30 pm YOUNG SHELDON 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I was quite pleasantly surpri....well...SHOCKED would be a better word, when I saw the preview for Young Sheldon. I actually laughed out loud twice and guffawed once. In a short 5-plus-minute clip. 

Huh

And when he took the mitten off to hold dad's hand? Awww-worthy.

Well shoot.

It's good. Really really good. Credit where credit's due...BBT may be circling the drain, but Young Sheldon looks really really good and funny as hell.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Yay for Laurie Metcalf!  She just won a Tony award.  She is so talented.  I just love her as Sheldon's Mom on TBBT.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On July 2, 2017 at 9:16 PM, fliptopbox said:

That sucks so hard, I feel really bad for him. Losing everything in a fire is unimaginable. 

Yes, but the article said it was his "getaway home," so I guess not? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 7/4/2017 at 3:01 AM, shapeshifter said:

Yes, but the article said it was his "getaway home," so I guess not? 

He might've had more personal stuff there, however.  Esp if he saw it as a place to R&R.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

at the same time he seems to have accepted it with grace. possessions only own the people who let stuff own them. it is funny I have been on a throwing and giving away spree since I have accepted that stuff will not survive due to global warning.  

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/13/2017 at 4:15 PM, msani19 said:

don't think I need to see Raj (or Stuart) in relationships. I just need them to have something that doesn't make them annoying, pathetic or creepy. I'd be as infuriated about getting them relationships as I would be if they were female characters. Too often the default move on shows, is that in order for a person to be happy, they NEED TO BE WITH SOMEONE! Otherwise, how sad for them. I know the show has morphed into a traditional relationship sitcom and it has suffered because of that. As long as Raj, more so than Stuart since he's part of the original cast gets something interesting and satisfying in the next 2 years then fine. Given where the show is now, I know it's going to be a GF. 

Maybe one day, tv shows will be brave enough to have an individual person (male or female) who is single and not wanting to blow their brains out because of it, and perhaps even have other characters not harp on that as a character flaw. And one day maybe my parents will get me that pony.

AMEN MSANI!!!! PREACH!!!

Why can't they make Raj the successful scientist? Why can't he win a prestigious award for his work, get a ginormous grant, enough to get out of debt and be RICH again, and make the marrieds Jealous? Why does his 'loserdom' have to be because he's single? Or 'broke?' It's so frustrating. This is supposed to be a "smart" show, so let's smarten it up. Make Raj the one in line for a Nobel. That should really put a dent in Sheldon's ego for sure. I'd love it if Raj had no time for girls because he was so busy with his research and running his brand new department that he's the head of...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't seen the whole thing yet, but this guy apparently doesn't know what misogeny is sexism & hatred toward toward women.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

The Adorkable  Misogyny of The Big Bang Theory 

This reminds me of the debates about whether plots on the 70s sitcom Barney Miller were serving a public good in drawing attention to the issues presented or if they were endorsing the status quo. For example, the Barney Miller episode in which a wife accused her husband of rape had Barney pointing out that the law at the time would not permit the cops to charge her husband with rape—I wonder if the sitcom is an inherently ineffective medium to have such issues taken seriously, or if it sometimes succeeds in reaching narrow minded viewers with an almost subliminal message. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:43 AM, roamyn said:

I haven't seen the whole thing yet, but this guy apparently doesn't know what misogeny is sexism & hatred toward toward women.

If you do watch it, I believe he understands exactly what misogyny means.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/13/2017 at 9:15 PM, msani19 said:

I don't think I need to see Raj (or Stuart) in relationships. I just need them to have something that doesn't make them annoying, pathetic or creepy. I'd be as infuriated about getting them relationships as I would be if they were female characters. Too often the default move on shows, is that in order for a person to be happy, they NEED TO BE WITH SOMEONE! Otherwise, how sad for them. I know the show has morphed into a traditional relationship sitcom and it has suffered because of that. As long as Raj, more so than Stuart since he's part of the original cast gets something interesting and satisfying in the next 2 years then fine. Given where the show is now, I know it's going to be a GF. 

Maybe one day, tv shows will be brave enough to have an individual person (male or female) who is single and not wanting to blow their brains out because of it, and perhaps even have other characters not harp on that as a character flaw. And one day maybe my parents will get me that pony.

That was handled a long time ago in the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size