Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E05: Accredo

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, cfinboston said:

As a child of the 80s, I immediately realised they had a pretty big flub with Rollins referencing having grown up on Family Ties. FT debuted in 1982. Assuming Rollins is the same age as Kelly Giddish, she'd have been 2 years old at the time and 7 when it went off the air.

They would probably come back with a weak argument that Rollins watched "Family Ties" reruns.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, cfinboston said:

As a child of the 80s, I immediately realised they had a pretty big flub with Rollins referencing having grown up on Family Ties. FT debuted in 1982. Assuming Rollins is the same age as Kelly Giddish, she'd have been 2 years old at the time and 7 when it went off the air.

I was born in 1980 and I've made a similar comment about growing up on Family Ties. My grandmother, who lived with us, loved it. We watched it every week and once it went off the air we continued watching it in reruns. Perhaps saying "grown up on it" is a stretch, especially since it was only on the air for 5 years or so, but it was still a big part of our  lives when I was a kid. Pop culture still references it. 

• Love 2

So I wasn't paying 100% attention, what exactly was the creepy cult guys motive for wanting the victim dead? Was it just that she wanted to leave the group? Like Benson said, with  house like that he must of had a lot of followers, so would the loss of money from one make much of a difference? Also surely the victim can't be the first woman tomleave can she? If she was that would be a pretty good average.

13 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So I wasn't paying 100% attention, what exactly was the creepy cult guys motive for wanting the victim dead? Was it just that she wanted to leave the group? Like Benson said, with  house like that he must of had a lot of followers, so would the loss of money from one make much of a difference? Also surely the victim can't be the first woman tomleave can she? If she was that would be a pretty good average.

I think I heard she was going to expose them. However I was half paying attention, so I'm not sure.

1. Have to say I thought the twist would be that the disciples acted without the knowledge of the leader but I guess we had to blame a man somehow?

2.  And we have The Handmaid's Tale, just to ram it home!

3. So who is muscles? New love interest or just some eye candy for female/gay viewers?

4. The Fitbit evidence is baloney, all she has to say is I was exercising then took a break then exercised again.

5. Good mum and dad scene, you're so happy it wasn't their daughter.

6. So Rollins takes it upon herself to try to interfere with the suspects lawyer? REALLY?

7. We have a sympathetic homicide cop, so rare. 

8. Ironic that Benson congratulates Rollins on bagging a doctor, very empowering, were all the handsome princes, airline pilots and millionaire playboys taken? I half expected her to start singing 'The single girl'.

9. Wow, pretty gruesome crime scene by the standards of this show?

10. Why not arrest the boyfriend? Okay so they can't find the knife but the blood alone is more than enough to justify arrest. 

11. Did they have to go all the way to Pennsylvania? Couldn't they have had the local police drop by?

12. Show the suspect pics from the crime scene? REALLY? So now if he knows details of crime he can explain it away? You actually cheer when he asks for a lawyer.

13. Surely Finn knows simple washing won't destroy forensics? 

14. No DA this ep?

15. If Arlo is so smart why not get a lawyer for Lilah so the SVU can't speak to her?

16. Rollins is crazy, she assaults the suspect in the interview room in a way Stabler would be outraged by. 

17. Rikers is full of women who believed men's lies? Because they couldn't actually have made bad decisions for themselves? 

18. Benson hates Arlo because he makes women feel good about themselves and empowered? 

19. First time we've seen Noah in ages. 

An interesting idea but absolutely godawful in execution, 2/10

• Love 2
On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:59 AM, Fellaway said:

I think it has more to do with the budget than anything else.  Those technical characters did lend the proceedings some authenticity, but they didn't add anything to the story that couldn't just as easily be conveyed by our squad members.  Cutting the budget there and by not having as many bodies in the background of the squad room were smart moves, I think.  There are definitely worse places they could've cut the budget.

That said, I do think, when Carisi and Fin were searching that guy's apartment, they should've said CSU was coming instead of making it look like they were on their own for the search.

Lawyers are beholden to follow the law, too.  It's why, sometimes in scenes, the lawyer will shut down their client if he or she starts to tell them about another crime they committed or are going to commit.  If he told her he was fleeing, or she otherwise found out, she's required to report it to the police.  

Absolutely, as an officer of the court it's her duty to report malpractice. TV too often portrays lawyers as 100% on their client's side but that's a fallacy.  

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, MrsRafaelBarba said:

My co-worker calls Olivia and Amanda The BItter Shrews.

That's brilliant, almost as good as Miss Misandry for Benson. 

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:01 PM, Jaded said:

I quit watching this show a few years ago when it became clear that Barba was being turned into a Benson Bot. I had NBC on the TV while cooking last night and was watching in between waiting for time to pass for things to get done. This was one of the most predictable episodes of a L&O show I think I've ever seen. I was more then through having to hear about Amanda's pregnancy throughout the episode then they had to show that Noah tantrum on Olivia's phone. I liked the segments of the show with Carisi and Fin being together. That's about the only nice thing I can find to say about this episode. 

It  seemed like Kelli Giddish's stomach got bigger from when the episode started to when the viewers saw her last at the end. It was sad to see how bad her acting was throughout. I don't remember her being like that the first few seasons she was on. Last night she kept making faces like she was always smelling some foul stench while snarling at every other actor she came in contact with.

Yeah I thought that too although it may have been her character trying to hide it at the beginning then not bothering anymore?

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:39 PM, HunterHunted said:

The case law on this an absolute mess. Jones v Maryland is about landlines and it's the reason why, especially on the Mothership, you see the police just putting in calls to the phone company to get all of the numbers that you've called or received calls from. Also bank transactions because of US v Miller. The phone company/carrier is actually the 3rd party. The person you called or who called you are the primary parties. With bank transactions, it's you and the busines/person  you gave money to. The bank is a conduit/3rd party. Law enforcement does need a warrant to search your physical mobile device, but it's not super clear if law enforcement needs a warrant to get data that was transmitted by your phone carrier, wireless provider, or possibly even the app maker who might have stored your data on a server. If a court strictly follows Jones, then law enforcement probably doesn't need a warrant.

However and this is where the messy part is, the Court just ruled in Carpenter v US that law enforcement needs a warrant to access cellphone GPS data from a phone carrier. It doesn't address the situation when your apps collect location info because many of them do.

I think as a matter of course because the case law isn't super clear, law enforcement is probably obtaining warrants for all of the data transmissions from cellphone and mobile devices because it's better to be safe than sorry. However, someone has got to bring a case up to the Supreme Court soon because there is SO MUCH info shared with so many places and entities that we need new statutes and/or case law. And it's not just mobile devices, it's pacemakers, insulin pumps, hearing aids. This is heading to a place where it will be a honest to god mess.

The current DPP was just commenting this week that the amount of internet data the police now have to review threatens to overwhelm them and they have to put restrictions on it. Then again we've had numerous accused cleared by such evidence?

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:35 AM, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah we need another detective on the show, we should have 4 detectives and a squad leader, I didn’t like Mike Dodds much but I liked how he provided another detective character. And we desperately need to see an ME/CSU person on occasion, there was no excuse for not having an ME there to give the detectives the story of how the victim died and instead we just heard about it in odd dialogue from the detectives, it seemed very unnatural. But the show is all about the super single mommies, and we have to devote so much time to their personal issues and they have to pay Mariska a gigantic salary and feed her gigantic ego, so they don’t get supporting characters to come in although they would help the show tremendously. 

Overall this season has been incredibly mediocre so far, with Fin and Carisi as the highlight of the episodes, they are awesome and I’m loving having more scenes of them together, I could watch a whole episode of just them working together to solve a case. Revenge was a good episode, the other episodes have been extremely mediocre.

We should have a new detective character who should be the naysayer, not being part of the SVU groupthink and providing a dissenting voice. With Rollins pregnant this would be the perfect opportunity to bring them in. 

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:42 AM, Gigi43 said:

I was excited to see Roche pop up but what a disappointment. He can really do bad guy well, yet, that whole character was a wasted existence to mostly feel like a mouth piece in Rollins' story that shouldn't be happening instead of a real baddie for the story. 

This one was just so boring. 

I kept expecting him to have some witty riposte to Benson's speech to him but instead he just says 'Nice speech', for such an articulate. intelligent, empathetic guy that's not much of a comeback. But I guess we can't have anyone undermine one of Benson's rants?

On 10/19/2018 at 2:33 AM, SarahPrtr said:

There have been other shows where the actress was pregnant but it was never mentioned, even though it was really obvious.  It was used more as a comical storyline when Lauren Lane was pregnant in The Nanny, but in the pilot episode of Modern Family, Julie Bowen was 8 months pregnant but you couldn't tell unless you looked for her pregnant belly and Traylor Howard was also pregnant for most of season 5 of Monk, but they shot her from the waist up.

When Alyson Hannigan was pregnant (her second) on HMYIM, they did not show the pregnancy at all, and Lily was not pregnant in the show. Until they played it comedically by having Lily and Marshall ate a lot of hot dogs.

• Love 2