Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: The Virgin Gary

• Start Topic

I realize that Constantine would be a terrible first boyfriend for Gary, but at the same time, I can't help but root for them.  The loss of his nipple should have at least earned Gary a big fat snog in front of the other Legends.  Or more of "that thing [they] did."

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Nogoodnamesleft said:

but the look on Zari's face when she realized Sara used her as a human shield may be my favourite 

Lol. :) That was funny.  I actually missed that at first, and kept waiting for Sara to start hallucinating with the others.

16 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

It looks like the ratings were not as high as the Time Bureau for the audience. 

0.3 demo and 1.01 mil viewers.

New night.  Late premiere (compared to all the other shows 2-3 weeks into their runs on the channel) No longer following the show with the best ratings on the CW and yeah, as much as I do love my Arrow, it has a significantly different tone than LoT and I'd expect pulls somewhat of a different audience so I can't believe the Powers that Be would be too surprised about the numbers even if it would have been nice for all the good word of mouth to bump things up a bit.  The good news is being a critics fav and a cult hit has cache on the CW.  

• Love 3
14 hours ago, bettername2come said:

I would happily blame Barry, but Nate was introduced post-Flashpoint. So the writers have no excuse. Unless the Legends screwed up timeline themselves. Which seems fairly likely, actually.

Of course.  Their motto is "we screw things up for the better," after all.

• Love 5

Yeah, I know Legends turns people off for being fun and campy. Which is why I like it over the others. I want to sit back and relax and enjoy a fun show once in awhile. I want to smile at the ridiculous that only Legends can pull off. I want to see super heroes having fun and enjoying being heroes. 

• Love 12

A heart eating unicorn whose rainbow snot will get you high as a kite. Yup, this show is back then.

Loved the trip into Woodstock, the cameos, the gang getting off their faces on unicorn snot and poor Gary losing a nipple. Nice to know that him and Constantine are somewhat canon and probably will be so fairly soon as well.

I do wonder who attacked Constantine at the end of this one though. I guess he'll be joining the Legends whether he likes it or not though.

Great team ups this week with Nate/Mick and Ray/Zari as well as Sara/Ava having some nice domestic moments. Loving the Sara and Constantine scenes as well. 

Some interesting potential with the addition of Nate's family this season as well, 8/10

• Love 5

Worth the wait,  this was such a fun episode.   And I'm not bothered by gore and the cgi was terrible,  but I cringed when the unicorn grabbed Gary.   Those teeth were full of eeeekkkk.

On another note,  I'm so beyond thrilled by all the queer representation that is currently the CW Monday's.   Queer actors,  queer characters,  that is so full of win.   Besides one character not on this show. 

• Love 1

Was there a line that I missed that referred to Amaya?  I heard the one about Wally deciding not to stay with the team.  I know that Amaya decided to stay in her own timeline at the end of Season 3, but I thought I had also read somewhere that the actress said she will be back for Season 4.  Is she only going to guest star in a few eps?  Too bad.  The team looks awfully white without her and Wally.  I know we have Zari, who I think is Egyptian (?), which I believe is technically, white.

I do like John Constantine and his powers but I loathe the awful bleached blond hair.  Why must his hair be bleached?  The actor isn't blond so they feel like they have to dye his hair?  It looks terrible with his dark eyebrows and eyes.  And especially when he was in the towel and has dark brown chest hair.  I'm assuming that the character's hair is blond in the comics?  So what.  Oliver Queen is comic book platinum blond in the comics (I say comic book platinum blond because there are so many male characters in comics with this very light blond hair, much more so than occurs in the general population in the U.S.) and on "Arrow" they didn't see the need to dye Stephen Amell's hair.  Same thing with Jason Momoa's Aquaman.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Was there a line that I missed that referred to Amaya?  I heard the one about Wally deciding not to stay with the team.  I know that Amaya decided to stay in her own timeline at the end of Season 3, but I thought I had also read somewhere that the actress said she will be back for Season 4.  Is she only going to guest star in a few eps?  Too bad. 

Spoiler

Maisie Richardson-Sellers is still a regular, but she will be playing a different character, named Charlie.  I believe she will be introduced in the third episode.

They are also adding Ramona Young as a new series regular, but I’m not sure which episode she’ll be introduced.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I know we have Zari, who I think is Egyptian (?), which I believe is technically, white.

Zari's Iranian. We haven't

met the new team members yet. Charlie is played by Maisie Richardson-Sellers and Alaska played by Asian actress Ramona Young.

• Love 2

So glad this show is back. Just the general craziness of a carnivorous unicorn stalking hippies at Woodstock, but even better, I loved the stoned Legends, especially Ray making out with a tree that he saw as Disney Princess Nora.  I like Constantine but I'm curious to see how he fits in with the Legends, but I keep reminding myself they made Beebo work last year.  It was even fun to see Gary again, but I'm probably one of the few who doesn't care about any Gary/Constantine ship.

37 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Zari's Iranian

Has that ever been clarified?  Tala Ashe is Iranian, but the character Zari is based off of was Egyptian.  I don't recall they ever said one way or the other, other than Zari using a few Arabic terms, although I could have missed it if they did.

Well, it can't be said enough: Praise Beebo, the show is back!

Apparently this episode's themes were 'let's ruin my little Pony and Woodstock' in one fell swoop. And of course they used 'White Rabbit' - the go to song for when things go bonkers.

During the unicorn fight I thought 'Wow, this feels like SPN' and immediately Ray started to talk about better ratings and 'people do love the supernatural' LOL!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Lugal said:

Has that ever been clarified?  Tala Ashe is Iranian, but the character Zari is based off of was Egyptian.  I don't recall they ever said one way or the other, other than Zari using a few Arabic terms, although I could have missed it if they did.

The Iranian language is Farsi, not Arabic, but she might have been referring to Muslim/Islamic terms.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
On 10/23/2018 at 3:03 PM, Proteus said:

The Nielson box ratings are an archaic system that should have been ended years ago.

They do the job they're meant to do as well as any other method I've heard of.  The key thing to remember is that "the job they're meant to do" is to generate data re: the number of people who are watching the commercials, because on the business side that's what matters.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:42 PM, Nogoodnamesleft said:

So many good parts...I miss you Axel...but the look on Zari's face when she realized Sara used her as a human shield may be my favourite 

Tala's face is ridiculously expressive; it's one of the reasons why she is so adorable.

• Love 2

I enjoyed that! I really enjoyed Nate's storyline which is bizarre since I am generally opposed to all things Nate so why on earth would I care about  him and his dad but I totally went "Awwwwwww" as I was watching it! 

Avalance is just not doing it for me. BUT BRING ON NORA!!!!!!! Let Ray find Nora again!!!!!! Now that he's got a full blown crush on her I want to see how this plays out when they meet again! I cannot wait! 

Awwwwwww x 1000 to Mick and Nate as Dad and Dead Rat! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

The Iranian language is Farsi ,not Arabic, but she might have been referring to Muslim terms.

I know the difference, which is why I was confused.  Zari used a few Arabic words, which could have been Islamic terms (and Farsi has a huge number of Arabic loanwords) but I just don't now if they ever clarified if she's Iranian or Arabic.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:53 AM, MadyGirl1987 said:
On 10/23/2018 at 11:53 AM, MadyGirl1987 said:

Constantine doing his magic reminded me of Doctor Strange.

So it wasn't just me! I was thinking that as well.

They took the magic effects for both from Renaissance grimoires (pentacles, squared circles and so on)

• Love 1

I thought this was an interesting re-introduction to Constantine and his methods.  He likes Gary, is fond of Gary, but at the same time had zero problem putting Gary at risk from being eaten by a unicorn or dragged into Hell along with it.  I think that's the real reason he doesn't want to join the Legends' team, because he does like them.  He also knows himself well enough to realize that when it comes down to it he'll use them to do what he thinks he needs to do.  John will be a fun fit for the Legends.  He's a fun guy, has lots of stories, is really into having a good time and living in the now.  And then he'll do something genuinely horrible to resolve some problem they have that'll make even Mick go "Damn, dude, harsh much?"

• Love 5
On 10/25/2018 at 12:15 PM, Lugal said:

I know the difference, which is why I was confused.  Zari used a few Arabic words, which could have been Islamic terms (and Farsi has a huge number of Arabic loanwords) but I just don't now if they ever clarified if she's Iranian or Arabic.

Honestly, with the CW writers I think hoping that they'll be more accurate than "somewhere between Morocco and the Afghanistan border" is hope spent in vain.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Honestly, with the CW writers I think hoping that they'll be more accurate than "somewhere between Morocco and the Afghanistan border" is hope spent in vain.

Zari is from Washington D. C. and Seattle, Washington.  Possibly she's lived in a few other U.S. cities as well.  Ultimately, Zari is "from" America.  Culturally, she's clearly an American, even if her genetic and familial heritage hasn't been clarified.

On 10/22/2018 at 10:00 PM, scarynikki12 said:

I don’t care about Nate’s family drama but I love Biff so I’ll accept it. 

I imagine we will see more of Biff, and since he's in the army, my guess is he will at some point become involved in the Time Bureau or something that puts him in change of Nate.

On 10/23/2018 at 2:35 PM, Cekrypton1 said:

And his "costume" is ridiculous.

Agreed. It was especially noticeable at Woodstock when he removed the coat but still had the tie. With him on the team maybe we will get some fun scenes of him having to dress undercover. 

This show is fun. 

Agree that this is the best show on the CW, and is the only FarrowVerse show I watch.  This episode is a great reason why.

re Nate's hemophilia: while I agree that it's a good topic and not shown much, I don't see how it matters going forward, since he isn't anymore.  Anyone who came in after he got his power would be totally confused.  So I understand the reason it's been erased, even as I also understand those who are upset by it.

On 10/22/2018 at 7:07 PM, Sakura12 said:

Poor Gary, maybe he can use his nipple scar to get laid. 

It worked on A Million Boring Little Pieces.  (I think that character's name was Gary, too!)