Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: The Rake

• Start Topic

Elizabeth flies to Fashion Week in Milan to face off against the Chinese Foreign Minister over an anti-sweatshop treaty in the aftermath of a tragedy. Also, Daisy struggles with feelings of fear and pessimism over her baby’s future, under the threat of rising nationalism in the wake of the attack on the White House.

Sunday, Oct. 21

I ❤️loved❤️ this episode. 
I cried more times than I can count, including a couple of times with Daisy and the sister, as well as the mom in traffic court with Mike B.

Is there any chance that the writer (Matt Ward, according to IMDb) will at least get an Emmy nom?

I want to live in a world where Bess and Ming are presidents of their countries.

Maybe with a magic rake that is possible?

• Love 9

As a person who lived in the Washington area for five years, with the exception of New York, there is probably no other US city that has a more extensive public transit system.   There is almost no place in Washington (all throughout the entire beltway) that is not within two or three blocks of a bus line and/or the incredible subway system that it has.  They are currently working on an extnsion that will take subway passengers to Dulles and beyond (which will replace a bus line that they currently have).  So this woman claims "How am I going to get to work???"   Oh pu-leeze!!!!   Just another person who refuses to take public transit.

So Madame McCord is finally agreeing to what everybody knew was going to happen from day one of this show.    Somewhere CJ Cregg is saying "Why couldn't I have been the first female fictional president???"

Edited by Twilight Man
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Twilight Man said:

CJ Cregg is saying "Why couldn't I have been the first female fictional president???"

CJ would have been the first person to acknowledge that she didn't have the patience and diplomatic skills to be president. (This was before...)

Edited by Kleav
  • Love 7

I also found this episode quite moving between Daisy's introducing those kids to the President and Ming's taking his daughter to visit the site of the workers' deaths.

I have always and will always find Mike B. annoying as fuck.

As a white guy who has also not shot a "Rasta" (or any person of color) (or a person of any color) in over three weeks, I say, "Bravo, Daisy."  And "Bravo, TPTB."

• Love 8

Excellent episode. I was so sad for Ming. He's a decent guy at heart. He and Bess would have been awesome leaders together. I would really like to see more of his storyline although I doubt they would do a thing about China's leadership. But it is interesting that they have shown quite a bit of his story today. I wonder if it will lead anywhere since he's a guest star.

This show has so many one on one scenes between people that I love such as Bess and Conrad, Bess and Russell, Bess and Ming and finally Bess and Henry when he's being awesome supportive hubby. 

Henry was so cute about the rake. I love him when he's being understanding and saying all the right things when Bess has her rants. One of the best parts about the show is that he's always there for her in that capacity and I hope they keep at it.

The best scene of the night (maybe even the series for me): Confirmation that it's canon that Bess and Henry watch the British Bake Off together while eating dessert (she had a plate of something with cream on it). SQUEEEEEE

That's why Hubs and I do!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

As a person who lived in the Washington area for five years, with the exception of New York, there is probably no other US city that has a more extensive public transit system.  

As a person who grew up in the Boston area, I resemble that remark!

(But you're definitely right about Washington DC).

One of the most underrated qualities of this show is how it can genuinely surprise you with sudden impacts or action breaking out. Since I don't watch commercial previews, I never know when there's going to be an explosion or gunfire is going to break out, and they always get me every time because there's absolutely no telegraphing. I was thinking about that during the scene where Bess's bodyguard collides with a court reporter. I actually went back and watched it again. The camera work kept her hidden behind the bodyguard so that we genuinely had no idea she was there (just like Bess and the bodyguard didn't see her). It was a genuine surprise.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

As a person who lived in the Washington area for five years, with the exception of New York, there is probably no other US city that has a more extensive public transit system.   There is almost no place in Washington (all throughout the entire beltway) that is not within two or three blocks of a bus line and/or the incredible subway system that it has.  They are currently working on an extnsion that will take subway passengers to Dulles and beyond (which will replace a bus line that they currently have).  So this woman claims "How am I going to get to work???"   Oh pu-leeze!!!!   Just another person who refuses to take public transit.

So Madame McCord is finally agreeing to what everybody knew was going to happen from day one of this show.    Somewhere CJ Cregg is saying "Why couldn't I have been the first female fictional president???"

Depends...if her office is in one of the near suburbs, it can be difficult (my sister lives in Rockville and has to drive everywhere, and her husband works in DC, and has to drive to the Metro). Also, it can depend on time/availability. We live in NYC, and my wife has to drive to work because she's a shift worker and the transit doesn't run very often that late at  night. I'll give 'em a pass for that.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

Depends...if her office is in one of the near suburbs, it can be difficult (my sister lives in Rockville and has to drive everywhere, and her husband works in DC, and has to drive to the Metro).

Rockville is located on the Subway Red Line and the bus transit system RideOn operates dozens of bus lines inside Rockville and the surrounding Montgomery County.  It is nice that your sister and her husband have their own private transportation, but for those who can not afford a vehicle (and gas and INSURANCE!!!!), DC and the surrounding areas truly do have an incredible mass transit system.

I might be a minority of one - but I really enjoy Mike B. I'd like him and his dog to have a couple of scenes each episode.

Topical choice of a campaigning platform for Elizabeth with the season 3 of the Serial podcast.

I was also entertained by the administrivia Henry was suffering through, the fact that IT passwords seemed of more priority than finding a replacement for him perfectly sums up the not seeing the wood for the trees institutional dysfunction that I've seen in some places I've worked.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Any IT person worth their salt could access your profile and create a password, and then delete the profile. 

NAME
       userdel - delete a user account and related files

SYNOPSIS
       userdel [options] LOGIN

DESCRIPTION
       The userdel command modifies the system account files, deleting all entries that refer to the user name LOGIN. The named user must exist.

No password required.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Xantia said:

I might be a minority of one - but I really enjoy Mike B. I'd like him and his dog to have a couple of scenes each episode.

I’ll sit at that table with you, Xantia. I’m also a Mike B. fan. If this show continues through Elizabeth’s presidential campaign, perhaps he’ll be her campaign manager. 

• Love 8

I like Mike B as well.

Still no Kat whatever her name is this season. Not that it matters to me, haven't been very impressed by the character so far, but it seems odd to make such a big deal about the actress joining the show and the way the character was introduced to now not show her and only mention her name with a "nah, we don't need her yet for this" every other episode.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, TVForever said:
16 hours ago, Xantia said:

Topical choice of a campaigning platform for Elizabeth with the season 3 of the Serial podcast.

I was also entertained by the administrivia Henry was suffering through, the fact that IT passwords seemed of more priority than finding a replacement for him perfectly sums up the not seeing the wood for the trees institutional dysfunction that I've seen in some places I've worked.

I’ll sit at that table with you, Xantia. I’m also a Mike B. fan. If this show continues through Elizabeth’s presidential campaign, perhaps he’ll be her campaign manager. 

I feel guilty for not admitting to liking Mike B. earlier.
And yes, his destiny has always been to be Bess's POTUS campaign manager, IMO.

And ITA with your whole post, @Xantia

I'm glad Bess's declared platform is criminal justice reform, and I do hope the show develops some stories that examine creative, constructive ideas.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
On ‎21‎.‎10‎.‎2018 at 11:48 PM, Twilight Man said:

Aside from the fact that I'm from Berlin, and very spoiled when it comes to public transit and can't share the enthusiasm about the DC public transit system ;-) they didn't specify where the woman lives and works, did they? My parents live in Virginia and work in Maryland. My dad has a student who lives in Baltimore and works in DC.

Work also isn't the only issue. She would need groceries as well. Maybe her kid does some activities outside of school that she needs to take the kid to. Plus, public transit isn't cheap and the metro has had several issues lately. So, I don't think it's that easy and/or convenient to get around with public transport outside of DC itself.

On ‎22‎.‎10‎.‎2018 at 9:04 AM, Mellowyellow said:

The best scene of the night (maybe even the series for me): Confirmation that it's canon that Bess and Henry watch the British Bake Off together while eating dessert (she had a plate of something with cream on it). SQUEEEEEE

I wasn't under the impression that they did much watching after seeing Henry's face. But Bess was already watching last season. Can't remember the episode though. I just remember that she was in bed and Henry joined her.

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I feel guilty for not admitting to liking Mike B. earlier.
And yes, his destiny has always been to be Bess's POTUS campaign manager, IMO.

I had a similar thought. I was wondering if any of the characters could be Bess' campaign manager after Bess said she wanted to run but somehow I forgot about Mike B. He's perfect for the job. And now I want scenes of Russell and Mike B ganging up on Bess ;-)

I loved the episode. I don't think there was anything in there that I didn't like. And the show is so good balancing heavy subjects with comic relief.

It was so typical Bess to not have called early enough to get out of jury duty or rather, to not have known that she has to call early enough to get out of it. I had a feeling that the woman and her problem would lead to Bess' domestic thing although I wasn't sure what it would be exactly.

I'm glad they didn't go the "Bess has to take a phone call in the courtroom and the judge gets mad" route!

Blake and his schedules. Just awesome. I loved how proud he was of squeezing everything in and how he looked like he was about to pass out when his carefully crafted schedule went up in flames because Bess decided to go to Milan after all.

Was Tea Leoni actually wearing an American designer in that particular scene?

While I liked it in general, I'm not sure I needed the C or D story with Daisy. It seemed that there was plenty going on already. Although, I did like that we got a short Daisy-Jay scene and how awkwardly Jay was asking if Daisy was okay. I usually have difficulties seeing Jay as chief of staff but not in this episode.

Count me in as someone who likes Mike B. I just love the kind of character that he plays. I'm not sure I'd want him in every episode but so far, they haven't overused him and he was just right in this episode. I always laugh out loud at least once when he's in an episode and in this one, I laughed several times. Not sure he would have convinced a judge this quickly but hey, why not? They're human, too.

I liked how he enjoyed crushing the prosecutor and of course, he didn't remember the woman's name. I probably should have seen that one coming. And at least, we got to see Bess telling him that she was running. That scene was perfect. And his reaction when she told him that she chose criminal justice reform - priceless and so well played! He's got such great chemistry with Bess, although, I don't recall anyone who doesn't have good chemistry with someone else on this show.

The Ming/China story was heavy but, unfortunately, seemed very real and it was done so well! I like the actor and how he's written, as someone who is doing what he is told to keep his position but who is another person in private. I think the greatest risk that Ming took was taking his whole security detail to lay down a wreath. I'd say the chances that they're all more loyal to him than the President are slim. It'll be interesting to see if they're going the route of getting Ming in trouble. They way they introduced us to his daughter and that she went with him at the end reminded me of the Russian foreign Minister who got killed in S2.

Great scenes between him and Bess, too. And it kind of makes me laugh how Bess wants to keep it low-key that she is running but everyone seems to know anyway.

I loved the Bess and Henry scenes. I missed those kind of scenes in the past two episodes.

I laughed out loud at the whole "I didn't create an account" thing. It so could have been my parents. They wouldn't have created an account either.

I loved the conversation Bess and Henry had at the end. One teeny-tiny point of criticism is that they didn't seem to have followed up with Henry suggesting that Bess doesn't run in the first episode but, at the same time, I loved that he didn't bring it up but rather did the opposite. His tone seemed quite different from the first episode, he wasn't sugar-coating anything but he still seemed supportive and encouraging. That is the Henry that I love! And I liked that despite her sort of doubts, Bess told Mike B that she was running the next morning.

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 1

Love Ming.

Miss Kat - hope she shows up again soon.  She adds energy to the pace of the show, and she delivers the dialogue they give her in a way that keeps me totally engaged and wanting more.

Not a big an of Mike B.  Too one-dimensional.

Overall, I think the scripts this season have been a bit too West Wing-y.  Not that I didn't love that show.  But I want them to tell the stories without it sounding preachy.  I'm a diehard liberal - and agree with their message ... but I want the messages to be told through story telling.

• Love 1

Note to Henry:  Any IT person worth their salt could access your profile and create a password, and then delete the profile. 

It's not like Henry has access to any state secrets or anything, or works on highly classified projects. ;-)