Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 10/15/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

Also, it's disturbing to hear Meghan enjoys politics because it's about winners and losers. How can you suggest that your politics reflect what you think is best for America and Americans when you take pleasure in millions of Americans 'losing'. The effect on policies and decisions aren't often seen immediately so even if you want to make it about winning and losing, you need to give it time before we proclaims wins and losses. 

Another way of saying it is that politics is about the allocation of resources, deciding who gets what and how much, and whether some can be denied resources altogether. That's why MM enjoys politics. She's got hers, the people she cares about got theirs and everyone else can go fuck themselves. She is a spoiled, self-satisfied, mean-spirited hag. Other than that she doesn't bother me too much.  

• Love 22
31 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I loved it.  As much as I do my best to refrain from saying nice things about Meghan, I'd wear that top in a minute. :-)

You must have a long neck!!  I would never wear anything like that because my short neck would disappear into my shoulders, just like Meggie's!!!

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

I'd really love for someone to ask MM what she actually did in politics at oh, idk age 4,5,6? Of course no one ever will. She's just so obnoxious when she says "I've been in politics my whole life."  Your father was in politics,  not you. 

4,5,6? More like, since she was in utero, don'tcha know?!

But yeah, it grates on me too. Sure, she has been around politics (and politicians) her whole life, but not IN politics, until or unless she runs for office. And I really don't see that happening, because it would require some actual work and dedication. 

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

I loved it.  As much as I do my best to refrain from saying nice things about Meghan, I'd wear that top in a minute. :-)

While the top isn't something I'm likely to be drawn to while shopping, it's not the top itself that I disliked, it was the overall look. It was a very loud outfit and I don't think everyone can pull that off. Though, I could maybe see Abby pulling that look off because with the way she does her make up and her darker hair, I think it would be a nice contrast to all of the bright going on in the outfit. I think I would have liked it much better if she had worn the top with a black, knee length pencil skirt...or even a tan skirt...something a bit more muted. And I've been consistent about not liking her hair up. I think she looks quite pretty with her hair down, curled or the half up/half down look. 

9 hours ago, geekburger said:

Meanwhile Abby is just...not really working? Can’t put my finger on it. I like her and think she tries to be as neutral as can be, but I feel like I don’t know her.

She's really not working for me either.  I think she's trying really hard, but she comes across as vapid and too eager without having any substance at all.  She can't hold her own even in simple conversation, and she seems to be in way over her head a lot of the time.  She's not unpleasant and she doesn't screech, so that's good.  But I see her as a seat-filler at this point, nothing more.  IMO she adds absolutely nothing to this show.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, DebbieM4 said:
10 hours ago, geekburger said:

Meanwhile Abby is just...not really working? Can’t put my finger on it. I like her and think she tries to be as neutral as can be, but I feel like I don’t know her.

She's really not working for me either.  I think she's trying really hard, but she comes across as vapid and too eager without having any substance at all.

DebbieM4 and Geekburger...you've said it all.  This is it!   Hope you go pink!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DebbieM4 said:

She's really not working for me either.  I think she's trying really hard, but she comes across as vapid and too eager without having any substance at all.

I just watched an old episode of Early Edition, where a princess is representing her country in her first diplomatic visit to the United States. Her handlers tell her to be completely neutral so she doesn't inadvertently offend someone or show favoritism ("What is your favorite thing about Chicago?" "Oh, I love everything about your city, I could never single out just one thing.") That's how I feel about Abby. She is in a difficult position, with her father being the U.S. envoy to Russia. She could never talk about someone holding her hair while she puked from too much bourbon and too many cigars. But, wow, is she bland.

Totally beige with a hint of Republican Red.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Being 1/32 Native American means nothing....I don't get why this is a thing.

It's only a thing because Donald Trump made it a thing by calling her Pocahantas too many times--in essence, ridiculing her.  Elizabeth Warren had simply repeated* the family history she heard from her mother all her life; she truly believed she was part Native American.  Most likely she didn't know the percentage.   Because she wanted to find out if her mother's stories were true, she had her DNA tested.  It proves that she IS.  She said she was proud her mother was vindicated.

*Apparently she also had advantages in applying for college because of her heritage.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, PeterBrady said:

Joy and Sunny constantly say “What about Trump?”

It kind of makes me crazy that Joy turns every topic back to Trump, even if it has nothing to do with him.  Not that I don't understand her obsession.  I just wish she'd give it a rest occasionally.  It might help her own blood pressure too.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, geekburger said:

I'm finding her OK so far.  She just started on the show, so she has to find her groove.  

• Love 4

My family legitimately thought we had a small amount of Native American in us too until my dad did a dna test, and it’s like 1%.  The stereotypical physical characteristics showed up in my dad and sister. I now realize those stereotypes aren’t really an indicator because our family friends are some of the palest people I know, and they are extremely active in their tribe and it’s traditions. They do the drums, dancing, weaving, stick ball etc.  The mom has the fairest skin and lightest hair of the family but actually has the highest amount of  native blood.  I can’t remember right now if they’re Chickasaw or Choctaw.

I always put white/caucasian on everything. However I was a member of Title X in elementary school, and I remember going to meetings. I got trophies for perfect attendance and certificates for good grades from them. We just thought we didn’t know our tribe because our family didn’t get the card. So I’ll never judge someone for being unsure about their heritage.  That’s what we were told.  Especially being from Oklahoma too. 

• Love 16

I love that Joy made Meghan correct herself when she said that everyone at the table (presumably minus Abby) would be "going crazy" if Ted Cruz came out claiming he was part Native American. 

Just call them hysterical liberals, Meghan. I'm sure that's what you wanted to say instead of "going crazy."

And I agree with Joy - yeah the Native American thing is stupid but Trump has brought politics to an all-time low. Should Sen. Elizabeth Warren have ignored him? Maybe, but nobody on the other side is getting anywhere playing nice anymore.

• Love 24
Just now, blondiec0332 said:

Trump is the one who made it an issue.  He mocked Sen. Warren and offered up a million dollars if she proved her heritage.  The fault lies with him.  

Everyone keeps saying it's stupid and it is but Trump is the one that took it there, I agree.

• Love 23

Did Whoopi really say "hyper bowl" again?  She was corrected once before.

Ugh, shrill, shrieky Meghan is back.  My cat ran away when she started howling about the royals. 

I love that Eliz Warren called his bluff. The % is irrelevant. She made her point. 

Ugh, it would be best to ignore a whole lot of what Pence is preaching. I like Charlotte but she can't convince me that dad has anything I want to hear. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 20
Just now, Haleth said:

Did Whoopi really say "hyper bowl" again?  She was corrected once before.

Ugh, shrill, shrieky Meghan is back.  My cat ran away when she started howling about the royals. 

Whoopi makes me cringe, I swear.

I have to turn my TV down when Meghan starts screeching. It's too much...

• Love 10
1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

Trump is the one who made it an issue.  He mocked Sen. Warren and offered up a million dollars if she proved her heritage.  The fault lies with him.  

Why did she have to debase herself by doing the DNA test in the first place.  Democrats always play defense and never offense. 

Megan once again pushed disinformation when she lied and said that Elizabeth used her Native American heritage to get ahead in life. That is false. I wish that Sunny had pushed back on that lie. The right has used Elizabeth Warren as a dog whistle to attack affirmative action. 

I caught the smirk that Abby sent towards Megan when Sunny was talking about Elizabeth's career as a Harvard professor. Megan was rolling her eyes at Sunny. 

I also loved Whoopie saying lots of Black Americans like to say that they have Native blood in them. Even though most do not have it. It is nothing nefarious. The interactions between Natives and Africans were negligible, even more so with African-Americans and the tiny Native American population that was left, were put on reservations.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 19
7 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Why did she have to debase herself by doing the DNA test in the first place.  Democrats always play defense and never offense. 

If she runs for president it would have been the whole birther thing all over again.  Trump would have hounded  her asking her what is she hiding.  Why won't she take a DNA test.  So now she did take the test and is getting grief for it.  No matter what she wasn't going to win this argument with him.

Edited by blondiec0332
  • Love 24

I guess they didn’t have time to train a dog so they’re surrounding Meghan with Emotional Support People.  When Abby said she loves her Dad, I expected an outburst from Meghan announcing that no one loves their dad as much as she loves hers.  Let’s talk about him some more!

• Love 19
13 hours ago, suomi said:

She is a spoiled, self-satisfied, mean-spirited hag. Other than that she doesn't bother me too much.  

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

9 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

I just watched an old episode of Early Edition, where a princess is representing her country in her first diplomatic visit to the United States. Her handlers tell her to be completely neutral so she doesn't inadvertently offend someone or show favoritism ("What is your favorite thing about Chicago?" "Oh, I love everything about your city, I could never single out just one thing.") That's how I feel about Abby. She is in a difficult position, with her father being the U.S. envoy to Russia. She could never talk about someone holding her hair while she puked from too much bourbon and too many cigars. But, wow, is she bland.

Totally beige with a hint of Republican Red.

This is a most excellent comparison, but my real interest is way off-topic. How did you watch Early Edition? Is it on Netflix or Hulu, or do you have DVDs or tapes?

3 hours ago, Haleth said:

It kind of makes me crazy that Joy turns every topic back to Trump, even if it has nothing to do with him.  Not that I don't understand her obsession.  I just wish she'd give it a rest occasionally.  It might help her own blood pressure too.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that. When I first read your post though, my first reaction was that Joy largely does it in response to Meghan pivoting off of whatever topic to take a shot at a Dem (usually Obama or Clinton). I could be wrong, but that's what came into my head. 

1 hour ago, Stuffy said:

My family legitimately thought we had a small amount of Native American in us too until my dad did a dna test, and it’s like 1%.  The stereotypical physical characteristics showed up in my dad and sister. I now realize those stereotypes aren’t really an indicator because our family friends are some of the palest people I know, and they are extremely active in their tribe and it’s traditions. They do the drums, dancing, weaving, stick ball etc.  The mom has the fairest skin and lightest hair of the family but actually has the highest amount of  native blood.  I can’t remember right now if they’re Chickasaw or Choctaw.

I always put white/caucasian on everything. However I was a member of Title X in elementary school, and I remember going to meetings. I got trophies for perfect attendance and certificates for good grades from them. We just thought we didn’t know our tribe because our family didn’t get the card. So I’ll never judge someone for being unsure about their heritage.  That’s what we were told.  Especially being from Oklahoma too. 

One of my grandfathers insisted we were part Native American. It's a pretty common claim in some families. I have no idea if it's true, have qualms about DNA testing, and didn't grow up with the Native American experience, so I don't feel entitled to claim the legacy. I feel bad for Warren over the whole thing.

Today, in her litany of Warren's supposed sins, Meghan said that in 1984, the Senator "contributed recipes for a cookbook: Pow-Wow Chow, billed as recipes passed through the Five Tribe Families" (which was once sold in a Native American Museum shop). It looks like one of those little recipe books people put together, often to raise funds. I have a couple of similar books from churches and Ladies' Societies. I know this has been a talking point against Warren since she was running against Scott Brown, but this is where I wish we had someone sharper on the panel.

That Warren did something that quaint -- contributing to a cookbook 34 years ago -- seems to be a point in favor of her believing the family stories of Native American lineage, regardless of how strong her lineage is, or the actual truth in those stories. If I recall correctly, a cousin of Warren's edited the book. 

Now Warren has Trumpers all over her on one side, and (understandably) offended Native Americans on the other. I get the Native American objection to her claiming the heritage, but by the same token, she's not petitioning for recognition from Cherokee Nation, but the reactions I've seen treat her like she is. She's trying to show that she honestly recounted a family story that seems to have some truth to it (note: when I say "honestly" I don't mean Warren was right or her claims were accurate, I mean she wasn't trying to deceive people, and really grew up believing the family's accounts).

28 minutes ago, telemachus2 said:

But 1 percent is still indicative of some Native American heritage, isn't I? 

I think Meghan said 1/16th is the usual standard, i.e. 0.0625, which is 6.25%, so while 1% seems to indicate some heritage, it's nothing significant.

13 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I love that Joy made Meghan correct herself when she said that everyone at the table (presumably minus Abby) would be "going crazy" if Ted Cruz came out claiming he was part Native American. 

Just call them hysterical liberals, Meghan. I'm sure that's what you wanted to say instead of "going crazy."

And I agree with Joy - yeah the Native American thing is stupid but Trump has brought politics to an all-time low. Should Sen. Elizabeth Warren have ignored him? Maybe, but nobody on the other side is getting anywhere playing nice anymore.

I don't think there was any winning for Warren on this one. She could let him keep doing it, or she could speak up. Since she spoke up, I'm glad she decided to call him on his fake offer of a donation if her claims held water. That said, her timing sucks. Now is the time to focus on the mid-terms.

• Love 12
18 hours ago, PeterBrady said:

Joy and Sunny constantly say “What about Trump?” and Whoopi says “What about Mitch McConnell?”. They ALL do it and there is nothing wrong with it. They are just pointing out the hypocrisy of the other side. Abby is at least objective about it because it IS done on BOTH SIDES. Most people have trouble acknowledging “whataboutism” when it’s their side doing it. That’s why I respect Abby. She, at least is impartial enough to recognize that it is done on both sides.

Abby has nothing to offer the table. She is shallow. Her stupid remark about Trump "loves women too much" was beyond idiotic. And she does the 'both sides' argument A LOT.

10 hours ago, Former Nun said:

It's only a thing because Donald Trump made it a thing by calling her Pocahantas too many times--in essence, ridiculing her.  Elizabeth Warren had simply repeated* the family history she heard from her mother all her life; she truly believed she was part Native American.  Most likely she didn't know the percentage.   Because she wanted to find out if her mother's stories were true, she had her DNA tested.  It proves that she IS.  She said she was proud her mother was vindicated.

*Apparently she also had advantages in applying for college because of her heritage.

*I just read a newspaper article that said she didn't get special treatment applying for college (and beyond). I wonder who said that she did.

• Love 12

Wow, Whoppi really doesn't like Abby! 

I'm a quarter native but I don't identify as native because it wasn't talked about in my family. Apparently it was talked about  in EWs family, so let her claim it. Want to use me an as example, Meghan?

• Love 9

I'm just catching up on my 'View' watching. And I'd like to say two things:

First of all, it looks as though The Bereaved One has taken a backseat to The Aggrieved One. (I totally stole that from someone far wittier than I) and two, Meghan McCain needs to check herself before she bloviates about the Clintons, adultery and cheating.

• Love 16
10 minutes ago, General Days said:

Now Warren has Trumpers all over her on one side, and (understandably) offended Native Americans on the other.

I would say this was Trump's plan all along but the man isn't that smart.  Unfortunately this is just a distraction as General Days said from the midterms.  

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I lmao when Joy was talking about her "father the truck driver" during the Pence interview, especially since it just emphasized how none of the other three women have lived like real people have at any point in their lives. Clearly we're not the only ones sick and tired of hearing about Abby's and Meh-gun's famous fathers.

Joy was on fire that whole segment and that quip about her sitting there with them was the best.

• Love 17

First of all Meghan, grow the hell up.  Believe it or not you won't get your citizenship revoked because you talked about Meghan and Harry having a baby.  What a hateful woman!!!!  Her disgust at the idea of talking about the Royals as if it was some sort of treasonous act was beyond the pale.

Whoppi, please save us the coy act and just say flat out that you talked to Fergie, or your friends who are close with her.  Stop with the "I believe it to be true".  If you have insider information just say it, but don't give your "opinion" then get annoyed with Abby because she doesn't agree with it, especially if your presenting it under the guise of speculation.

I like Charlotte Pence, and was actually quite surprised and impressed with her during her last appearance but I totally call BS on the protest line from her father.  He may have said it decades ago but he certainly didn't feel like the black football players who were protesting were the symbol of America.  I wonder why they would be considered different? (sarcasm intended)

• Love 20
2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

If she runs for president it would have been the whole birther thing all over again.  Trump would have hounded  her asking her what is she hiding.  Why won't she take a DNA test.  So now she did take the test and is getting grief for it.  No matter what she wasn't going to win this argument with him.

She’s getting grief for it because the test proved that she has no more native blood than any other   American of European heritage (i.e., white people) and she is spinning the results and acting as though she has been vindicated. It’s ridiculous. In fact, it is quite possible that Donald Trump has more native blood than Elisabeth Warren. That’s why she is getting grief. The whole thing is so stupid and completely disrespectful of the indigenous people of America. Shame on both Warren and Trump.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

And I agree with Joy - yeah the Native American thing is stupid but Trump has brought politics to an all-time low.  Should Sen. Elizabeth Warren have ignored him?

He started it. She ignored him (and so did we) long enough.  He means to slam her with his "Pocahantas" comment...just one idiotic insult of too many in his repertoire.  I read that Native Americans were also insulted.  Maybe by spending some $$$ on a DNA test Senator Warren has put a rest to his old schtick.  Hopefully.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, pachebo said:

Re: Abby's "he loves women too much" comment.  I personally thought it was sharp and funny. She was being facetious.

She was being facetious to distract from a serious conversation about his willingness to hold Ford up for public mockery at one of his ego-boo rallies. I think it made Abby sound like a shallow twit who doesn't deserve a seat at the table.

For the record, look back at my posts since Abby joined the show. I have been trying to give her a chance, and my critiques have been performance-based (except I thought her makeup was overdone at first, and that she didn't need it, because I think she's a pretty woman). 

Here's why I don't think she was either sharp or funny. (Even if we only examine it from a comedy-critique perspective, I think it was trite.) 

Here's what happened: Trump mimicked and mocked Dr. Christine Blasey Ford at a rally. In the 60 Minutes interview, Leslie Stahl tried to call him out on it. They showed that clip on yesterday's episode of The View.

Partial transcript:

60 MINUTES CLIP SHOWN ON THE VIEW (there are obvious cuts between some of the questions and answers)

LESLIE STAHL: Professor Blasey Ford got before the Senate and was asked, "What's the worst moment?" and she said, "When the two boys laughed at me -- at my expense."

TRUMP: Eh well.

STAHL: And then I watched you mimic her, and thousands of people were laughing at her. 

TRUMP: They can do what they -- I-I will tell you this. The way now-Justice Kavanaugh was treated has become a big factor in the mid-terms.

STAHL: Do you think you treated her with great respect?

TRUMP: I think so. Yeah, I do.

STAHL: But you seemed to be saying that she lied.

TRUMP: Uh uh uh you know what? I'm not going to get into it, because we won.

AFTER THE CLIP ENDS, THE VIEW CO-HOSTS RESPOND

JOY: Well, "We won," and that's all that counts. As long as he won, he's happy, no matter whose lives he may ruin or destroy. Your thoughts?

SUNNY: He doesn't care about women. He doesn't care about women. In fact, I think he dislikes women. I think he is dismissive, um, he was so dismissive when he was [Sunny mimicks Trump -->] Uh uh uh we won. [Unclear. I think Sunny continued to imitate Trump by saying something like: It doesn't matter; I don't want to talk about it.]

SUNNY CONT'D: I just -- I'm so disgusted.

ABBY: I don't think he dislikes women. I actually think he loooooves women, probably too much.

SUNNY: (groaning): Oh no.

ABBY: I think this is more about winning.

SUNNY: I think he likes having someone in his -- you know -- in his [stammers and gestures, possibly toward her lap] -- on his arm.

JOY: (semi-cross-talk with Sunny): In his bed. In his bed.

SUNNY: But I don't -- I don't think he has a true love for-for women. I know men that really love women, and they respect women as a big part of that love. He doesn't have that.

ABBY: I-well, I don't know that --  I don't know that I would judge someone that way, because I'm not in his head and I don't choose to be, but uh, I will say that I've thought a lot about Christine Ford, I think more so since all of this happened, than even throughout it, just because it took a lot for her to get out there and to tell her story, and it was something that she made clear she didn't want to do. And then through all of that, like... you don't get what you want in the end. You know, he's on the Supreme Court, and she's probably questioning: "Should I have done that? Should I have put my life in danger? Should I have put my life on the line?" -- in a sense, uh to do this. 

/end transcript

I found the clip:

It continues. I only transcribed what I did above, because while Abby may have intended that as humor, it was first of all (comically speaking) low-hanging fruit, but it also undercut Sunny's serious (and I think important) observation that the President of the United States doesn't like women. Women make up nearly 51% of this country's population. And while the panel was discussing how he mocked the survivor of a sexual assault (and led the crowd to jeer at her), the Abbess of Witless, decided that was a great time for some sexual innuendo. 

You say facetious, I say fatuous.

24 minutes ago, PeterBrady said:

In fact, it is quite possible that Donald Trump has more native blood than Elisabeth Warren.

Not really. But if so, he may be the one related to Pocahontas, since all four of his grandparents, and his mother, were born in Europe

Edited by General Days
Added video
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:
4 hours ago, PeterBrady said:

She’s getting grief for it because the test proved that she has no more native blood than any other American of European heritage (i.e., white people)....

I can't speak for Sen. Warren but I'm sure she meant them no disrespect. Trump on the other hand...…...

Pocahontas, Pocahantas, Pocahantas insults at almost every rally.    

My children were always told by their father that he/they had Native American blood.  No one believed it.  My kids and I had DNA tests from three different sources--mostly to see if the companies were reliable.  All three of us are Americans of European heritage, yet we have LESS "native blood" than Senator Warren.  Less...as in none, Meghan.   

Edited by Former Nun
I bolded! and added "Meghan."
  • Love 11