Type keyword(s) to search

Jesus God, Leah!!

• Start Topic

I just perused Leah's Instagram and I don't see any posts related to school other than that first week she attended class. 

On another note, the most recent picture is of her and Victoria. Even with ten thousand filters, Victoria still looks like a 50 year-old meth addict who turns tricks at truck stop Best Westerns. The Messer women are aging in dog years.

• Love 16

Leah can barely even manage to get her children off to school on time. Of course she dropped out. College is not for everyone. You have to have some semblance of discipline to get through it. Leah has none. I really hope I'm wrong but...

• Love 10

I think she dropped out too. Being a college student takes hard work and discipline, qualities she just doesn't possess. Leah just can't cut it. But she'll likely spin it so it's about the girlses well-being. "Oh, it just takes too much time away from the girlses. They deserve all of mah attention." Never mind she only has them 3 days a week.

• Love 10

OF COURSE she dropped out! Hell, I bet it happened before Valentines Day. She probably overslept and missed her first class 3-4 consecutive times by late January. If she was just on Spring Break, you can bet her twitter would say something like, "Soooo happy to be on Spring Break! This mama is soooo exhausted but it's worth it! Now time to relax with the girls! #somuchhomework #workhardplayhard #lovemylife"

• Love 23
16 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Leah just can't cut it. But she'll likely spin it so it's about the girlses well-being. "Oh, it just takes too much time away from the girlses. They deserve all of mah attention." Never mind she only has them 3 days a week.

And that during those 3 days, she often pawns them off on grandma, great grandma, auntie, and any 5th cousin she can find. 

• Love 4
On 3/18/2017 at 11:53 PM, poopchute said:

But she bought notebooks!

I guarantee you she bought the most expensive, gilt foil embossed, fancy designer brand name notebooks Walmart/Target has to offer.

17 hours ago, zenme said:

Leah can barely even manage to get her children off to school on time. Of course she dropped out. College is not for everyone. You have to have some semblance of discipline to get through it. Leah has none. I really hope I'm wrong but...

What was the point of her even going, anyway?  You could take a class at a community college or do a number of free/cheap activities to improve your mind, so why fork over the money unless it's for a degree you need for a career?  I think a lot of these girls just see college as desirable activity regardless of whether or not you're going with a plan in mind.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, polandspring said:

I guarantee you she bought the most expensive, gilt foil embossed, fancy designer brand name notebooks Walmart/Target has to offer.

What was the point of her even going, anyway?  You could take a class at a community college or do a number of free/cheap activities to improve your mind, so why fork over the money unless it's for a degree you need for a career?  I think a lot of these girls just see college as desirable activity regardless of whether or not you're going with a plan in mind.

That's a pretty good analysis, actually. They go to college because they think the SHOULD want to go to college, but few of them do. Kailyn I bet wanted to go, I bet Chelsea could have pictured herself having a really fun college experience, butbeyond these two, which of these (either OG or 2) really deeply VALUED education? Not made the motions of valuing it, but actually valuing it. 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, polandspring said:

She went to get accolades from her Twitter fans and to possibly meet men.  I guarantee she had no plan in mind other than to take a bunch of generals and see what classes she liked most. Which isn't intrinsically wrong- plenty of 18 year old new high school graduates have that plan in mind. And if Leah wants to pursue higher education just for funsies, that's a far better way to spend her time than lying on her bed bitching about her ex husbands. But you can enroll in a local community college and do that. Leah wasn't looking to better herself- she was looking for attention and praise. Once the tediousness of the work and the commute outweighed that benefit, it outlived its usefulness.

• Love 14
14 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

That's a pretty good analysis, actually. They go to college because they think the SHOULD want to go to college, but few of them do. Kailyn I bet wanted to go, I bet Chelsea could have pictured herself having a really fun college experience, butbeyond these two, which of these (either OG or 2) really deeply VALUED education? Not made the motions of valuing it, but actually valuing it. 

I will say I give Chelsea credit for finishing her GED and certification for her career.  Good on her.

But I find it upsetting that these girls are apparently part of a larger societal trend that dictates that you must go to college, regardless of whether it's something that you want or would be helpful to you.  It's that attitude that puts people like them--who have unsteady income, family obligations, and a tenuous commitment to the course of study--in debt when they can't or won't finish their degree and start working.  (And often even if they finish the degree, a job will be very hard to find.)

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, polandspring said:

I will say I give Chelsea credit for finishing her GED and certification for her career.  Good on her.

But I find it upsetting that these girls are apparently part of a larger societal trend that dictates that you must go to college, regardless of whether it's something that you want or would be helpful to you.  It's that attitude that puts people like them--who have unsteady income, family obligations, and a tenuous commitment to the course of study--in debt when they can't or won't finish their degree and start working.  (And often even if they finish the degree, a job will be very hard to find.)

That's a good point. I mean, Leah probably paid cash for her tuition, but there are definitely people who go to college on student loans thinking some magical path to a lucrative career will show itself by the second year of college. And then find themselves in a lot of debt with no offsetting high income.

I will give Kail some credit- when she was out of high school with a 6 month old baby, she marched her ass into her counselor's office and said, what course of study can I take that will make me the most money in the shortest amount of time, and when the counselor suggested a dental hygienist, she readily agreed, with nary a complaint about how her calling wasn't cleaning out other people's mouths. All she cared about was making enough money to land Isaac in solid middle class territory in the shortest time. I am sure Leah not only had no intended career path, but probably didn't even have aspirations of having a career, beyond "make lots of money for doing no work", which she actually landed 6 years ago, so good for her I guess.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, Tatum said:

That's a good point. I mean, Leah probably paid cash for her tuition, but there are definitely people who go to college on student loans thinking some magical path to a lucrative career will show itself by the second year of college. And then find themselves in a lot of debt with no offsetting high income.

Did she ever work as a hygienist or was that just more money ill spent?

15 minutes ago, polandspring said:

Oh no, her reality *star* paycheck more than quadrupled shortly after that season and a dental hygienist became just too proletariat. Kail thinks she's fucking Cersei Lannister or something.

ETA: used the wrong Marxist phrase. And I had a rant going about Kail but remembered this was the Leah thread.

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 2

Kail was embarrassed to walk into the school's office without her mother. Her mother couldn't go with her because of her work schedule. Kail then pouted to Jo how she didn't want to go to the appointment and she wasn't about to discuss her need for financial aid. To me, that sounded like the grifter was fishing for Jo and the Riveras to pay her way through school just as they had provided her with a roof, food, and a bed. This was in the 16 & Pregnant episode before TM was ever on the table. In TM, she asked Jo for $600 for school.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, polandspring said:

Especially because none of these girlses  (Chelsea included) seem to have a work ethic. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, AmyFarrahFowler said:

Especially because none of these girlses  (Chelsea included) seem to have a work ethic. 

Agree. When these chicks say they want to own a business, they mean they want to attach their name to something, sign a few papers, and let someone else do the actual work. It's been lucrative so far, but none of these businesses have any staying power without the MTV popularity connection. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, polandspring said:

How would this have been for a fun plot twist..."in this episode, Kail moves to South Dakota because she has been hired as a hygenist by Randy Houska, DDS."

• Love 14
8 hours ago, polandspring said:

She's run out of men in her hometown?

• Love 5
On 3/7/2017 at 11:14 PM, GreatKazu said:

Did anyone see the Pedialyte on Leah's counter? I know it could be that she was giving it to one of her daughters if one of them was ill with diarrhea, but I couldn't help but wonder if Leah herself was drinking it. Some people who are hungover swear by it. It is also something some people who suffer from eating disorders drink.

On 3/7/2017 at 11:14 PM, GreatKazu said:

Did anyone see the Pedialyte on Leah's counter? I know it could be that she was giving it to one of her daughters if one of them was ill with diarrhea, but I couldn't help but wonder if Leah herself was drinking it. Some people who are hungover swear by it. It is also something some people who suffer from eating disorders drink.

Omg I'm not a fan of Leah at all but seriously come on... I'm sure if she were hungover she would just take a shot (easiest way to feel better-yes sounds terrible but works!) if she needed drugs she would just go get them which she seems to be better this season maybe she is anorexic or bulemic which I could def agree might be the issue with her but I bet it was for her kids...

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, CMO2984 said:

Omg I'm not a fan of Leah at all but seriously come on... I'm sure if she were hungover she would just take a shot (easiest way to feel better-yes sounds terrible but works!) if she needed drugs she would just go get them which she seems to be better this season maybe she is anorexic or bulemic which I could def agree might be the issue with her but I bet it was for her kids...

It was merely a perception not an accusation. Seeing how thin Leah has become and seeing how the viewers now have the ability to count her spinal discs on her back when she has her back to the camera some have questioned whether Leah may have an eating disorder or if she is just not eating properly.  I dealt with an eating disorder in my younger days and I recall Pedialyte being something those who suffered from ED would sometimes drink. My mind thought it could be related to her need for electrolytes. Someone else pointed out on the chat thread how Pedialyte is also something drug users drink.

• Love 10

Wow. When she was sitting in the makeup chair getting hair and makeup done--wow. Just wow. Girlfriend needs every bit of makeup available. Sheesh. Not cute at all. 

• Love 7
On 3/20/2017 at 1:43 PM, polandspring said:

But I find it upsetting that these girls are apparently part of a larger societal trend that dictates that you must go to college, regardless of whether it's something that you want or would be helpful to you.  

I wasted $150,000 to send one of my daughters to IU for 5 years to have her work as a waitress and sometimes a legal assistant. My other daughter didn't know what she wanted to do so she joined the Marines for 5 years. Now she is married with one child and is going to school full time to become a nurse. So, I think anyone should be sure college is for them before they waste tons of money because it seems like the right thing to do.

• Love 5

@hoosiermom I was the same way, I went to college right out of high school and majored in education, I thought I wanted to teach elementary school,  but the further I got into the program I realized it wasn't for me... I'm now an RN... but that was a really expensive lesson to learn.

• Love 1

I was a junior in college when the recession started, and I saw people waste tremendous amounts of money on grad school! Before that, people had been going to law school, med school, or to school for things like physicians assistant or physical therapist, but now EVERYBODY was going for women's studies or flute performance. I wanted to make sure I actually liked my field before I considered grad school, but everyone actually made fun of me for not going! Senior year, students and professors alike would just ask, "so where are you going to grad school?" instead of, "what are you doing next year?" I would answer that I wasn't going, and they would give me a lecture on, "you should go! You're sooooo smart! You deserve a chance at life!" I knew that most of these people would just accrue a lot of debt just to put off the real world for a few years. A few years later, I actually did go to grad school when I was sure of what I wanted to do, and no one said anything like that to the undergrads I knew, and most worked right out of college. I think it was just my class and a few others where grad school was a requirement, and most ended up working at Walmart or CVS before going to grad school again later!

• Love 3
22 hours ago, CofCinci said:

I'd love to see Leah take some Women's Studies classes while sober.  It could change her life -- and the lives of her daughters.

You mean they'd actually want something other than to have babies with the first guys who invite them into their truck beds? Naahh can't risk that. 

• Love 3
On 3/25/2017 at 1:47 PM, Christina87 said:

I was a junior in college when the recession started, and I saw people waste tremendous amounts of money on grad school! Before that, people had been going to law school, med school, or to school for things like physicians assistant or physical therapist, but now EVERYBODY was going for women's studies or flute performance. I wanted to make sure I actually liked my field before I considered grad school, but everyone actually made fun of me for not going! Senior year, students and professors alike would just ask, "so where are you going to grad school?" instead of, "what are you doing next year?" I would answer that I wasn't going, and they would give me a lecture on, "you should go! You're sooooo smart! You deserve a chance at life!" I knew that most of these people would just accrue a lot of debt just to put off the real world for a few years. A few years later, I actually did go to grad school when I was sure of what I wanted to do, and no one said anything like that to the undergrads I knew, and most worked right out of college. I think it was just my class and a few others where grad school was a requirement, and most ended up working at Walmart or CVS before going to grad school again later!

If people are smart about grad school they will not have to pay a dime. Got my PhD and taught undergrad classes that took care of my tuition and gave me a *tiny * stipend off of that. I'm finished with zero loans.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Lm2162 said:

You mean they'd actually want something other than to have babies with the first guys who invite them into their truck beds? Naahh can't risk that. 

She didn't even plan to make that happen.  She just didn't avoid it.  Which is worse, in my book. :/

• Love 1
1 hour ago, WichitaStateShock said:

If people are smart about grad school they will not have to pay a dime. Got my PhD and taught undergrad classes that took care of my tuition and gave me a *tiny * stipend off of that. I'm finished with zero loans.

My PhD paid extremely well and supported a family. You should almost never have to pay for grad school. PhDs are a well kept secret, people always ask how much debt I'm in from mine...If you have to pay for it, it's a scam. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lm2162 said:

My PhD paid extremely well and supported a family. You should almost never have to pay for grad school. PhDs are a well kept secret, people always ask how much debt I'm in from mine...If you have to pay for it, it's a scam. 

That only works if you're going to grad school all the way for the PhD. Masters don't get funded the same way; they're money makers for universities. For a variety of reasons, a PhD was not a good idea for my career, but a Masters was. So I got what scholarships I could plus loans. Luckily I was able to pay off the loans within 5 years, because I had a plan.

But Leah couldn't finish 1 semester of college, let alone a BA/BS. Masters and PhDs are so far out of her orbit!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Vandy10 said:

That only works if you're going to grad school all the way for the PhD. Masters don't get funded the same way; they're money makers for universities. For a variety of reasons, a PhD was not a good idea for my career, but a Masters was. So I got what scholarships I could plus loans. Luckily I was able to pay off the loans within 5 years, because I had a plan.

But Leah couldn't finish 1 semester of college, let alone a BA/BS. Masters and PhDs are so far out of her orbit!

Yeah, master's are different, especially in the U.S. However, you can get into many PhDs without a master's and then it's paid for along the way. That doesn't work for all careers, though. And I agree, it's a lot less foolish than many people think to take out loans to pay for an education if you plan right! And it doesn't only have to be in the STEM fields to work out very well financially.

I believe Leah already quit, right? 

Edited by Lm2162

I'm doing a Masters right now and it's the same as my BA, being added to my HECS debt which I'll start slowly paying back once I earn ~$55k a year. However I know it doesn't work that way in the US, so Leah and her willy nilly 'studies' just aggravate me even more than they already did, dude. My bets were on her lasting less than a semester and it sure doesn't look like she's enrolled right now.

• Love 2

I wanted to be independently wealthy when I grew up, but my parents refused to choose winning numbers for the lottery. Back then, it was in the hundreds of thousand dollars maximum, and when it hit $1 million, the masses went mad with people who never played lining up to buy tickets. I was in elementary school and my classmates were talking about their parents buying $20-30 worth, and yet my parents only bought $5 worth. :frowny face: Now that was probably the max they had to waste on a 1-in-a-billion plus chance at a billion dollars, but I still think that they just didn't want me to be independently wealthy as an adult because the Teen Mom narcissism is catching. They most definitely would have put money in trust for my sister and me because they grew up so poor, my mom was literally dirt floor poor and after she and my dad got married, he and my uncle not only built a floor over the dirt, but built my grandmother an indoor bathroom. They also moved the water lines from the well into my grandmother's kitchen, because until that point, she hauled water from outside. My maternal grandfather was a gambling addict who lost everything they owned, so that may have been part of my mom's limitations, but I'm still maintaining that they didn't want me to be a spoiled rotten rich brat.

A few years ago, I was in line at a store to buy lottery tickets when it was around $600 thousand, and the clerk told me that it would be all on one ticket and if I wanted it on separate tickets, I would have to either go through the line each time or use the machine. I only wanted ten draws, which I think was $10-$20 and didn't care if they were on one sheet of paper. They were doing that because so many people were buying $100s of dollars of tickets at a time. I asked how many you would have to buy to actually increase your odds, and she told me the odds were one in something billion, so about $1 billion dollars. She then said that most of them were work groups and because they were so close to the plants, they sold most of the tickets to those groups and were shown on the Lottery Commission website as being a winning store. I won $70!! A few weeks later it went up to a billion and someone finally won. It wasn't me. :crying:

My area is largely rural with a lot of farmland. Before the plants went overseas several years ago, they were the number one employers in the area, and the high schools and trade schools tailored programs to meet the plant's needs, and animal and husbandry programs, along with agricultural programs were taught in high school. Trade schools have been touted as the bare minimum to get a decent job, and in fact, there were local studies showing how people with trade school educations outearned people with only high school educations, and for the first 7 or 8 years after high school, outearned people with bachelor's degrees. It became commonplace for people to quit school, get their G.E.D.s and begin trade school, so trade schools started to say that they would select applicants with high school educations first, but didn't necessarily do so. Now the plants are gone, those jobs are gone, but trade schools remain a viable option for many people. 

It's mean to say, and I don't really shy away from insulting these people generally but don't like to insult their intelligence like this, but Leah wasn't cut out for a university experience. She needs to be in a trade school program. Maybe not cosmetology but something that was direct to the field in which she wanted to work. Having to do a bunch of general classes that don't interest her was always going to be difficult for her, and she doesn't have a lot of support. If she is interested in hair and makeup, she needs to suck it up and do the hours, even if it interferes with her time with the girls. Yes, they are young and it is time she won't get back, but she needs to start while she has the MTV money to support her. 

Or, she can start buying lottery tickets by the bucketful. It never worked for my parents or me, but maybe she'll be the lucky one.

• Love 5

I am not remotely surprised that Leah quit less than halfway through one semester, but- even though I in general find her to be mostly worthless- I still feel really sorry for her. She was never going to succeed and this little exercise probably diminished whatever minimal self esteem she had worked up.

This is someone who never did very well in school, probably never learned good study habits, never learned any strategies with note taking and information retention, never had anyone stress the importance of school, probably was too embarrassed to ask for help, has never developed any discipline- and she, after 7 years of being out of school, was going to sign up for a full course load with lots of daily assignments, lots of note taking, with no real career path or general goals, other than "don't fail", at a place that involved a daily commute? Hell no. If she had lasted two weeks she would have beat my expectations.

Leah is not someone who can take general ed classes for two years before settling on a major and moving forward with that. That's too long, too many variables, and she's way too untethered. If she doesn't have a career path in mind now, then she needs to take ONE general class at a time, at some place very close to where she lives, with a strong tutoring/lab/resource room offering. She needs to focus on one thing and have a bunch of mini goals with easily achievable terms.

Maybe once she had several semesters to practice at studying (studying and note taking are honest to goodness skills that need to be developed), then she could consider taking multiple classes at once at a university. But her plan to just wing it when she has been academically out of the game for years and wasn't a strong student to start with was always going to fail. I feel like whatever counselor help her set her class schedule should have told her this. But maybe he or she did.

ETA: Went on both her instagram and twitter to see if I could glean anything about her school, and oh my god...she is just such an asshole.

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Tatum said:

This is someone who never did very well in school, probably never learned good study habits, never learned any strategies with note taking and information retention, never had anyone stress the importance of school, probably was too embarrassed to ask for help, has never developed any discipline- and she, after 7 years of being out of school, was going to sign up for a full course load with lots of daily assignments, lots of note taking, with no real career path or general goals, other than "don't fail", at a place that involved a daily commute? Hell no. If she had lasted two weeks she would have beat my expectations.

Leah definitely doesn't strike me as the studious type (hell, if she was, she probably wouldn't have been out of school in the first place!). It's totally fine if she decides she doesn't want to get a 4-year degree, but she's got to have something other than 'reality-tv star and associated income' in her pocket. Just anything to fall back on that's something you can actually have on your resume in 10 years. Even if it's being a receptionist.

It's crazy to me that she automatically dismissed the cosmetology school thing because she'd have to be there 4 days a week. The reality is that any job she is in would require her to be in a place for at least 3-4 days out of the week at minimum. No matter what she's doing. So if she isn't willing to do that, what is she willing to do?

I remember being in college and initially feeling overwhelmed at being busy for 8-hours straight. It's an adjustment going from school where you are in class for a few hours a day and get to chat with your friends for a lot of that time and mess around. But she's in her mid 20s at this point and she's got to suck it up.

Hell, if she wants to admit she wants to be a stay at home mom, then be a stay at home mom. But DO that job. Make dinner. Clean house, pick up, shuttle kids around. Pouring soup out of a can does not a stay at home mom make.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, swishandflick said:

It's crazy to me that she automatically dismissed the cosmetology school thing because she'd have to be there 4 days a week. The reality is that any job she is in would require her to be in a place for at least 3-4 days out of the week at minimum. No matter what she's doing. So if she isn't willing to do that, what is she willing to do?

There is the million dollar question. I am sure Leah thought that cosmetology school would be just a bunch of friendly girls braiding each other's hair and trying on makeup while gossiping. But there's actual classroom time, not to mention the physical demands of the job.

I think Leah is below average in terms of intelligence. I bet she didn't do that well on standardized tests. Add to that a mother who basically told her that books and learnin' are for ugly girls, a public school education in an area that has a lot of blue collar work and high drop out rates for high schoolers, a 10 year lapse in any kind of structured learning- shit, anything is going to overwhelm her. Add to that a poor work ethic and an income nearing the top 1%, and Leah not only doesn't have the tools to absorb any kind of education, she doesn't even have the motivation.

And the well isn't going to dry up right away. I think this show has a few seasons left, and the Leah will schill for anything using twitter to extend her D list income, plus she gets child support- I give her another 8-10 years before she panics and realizes she has to buckle down and get some kind of job. Hopefully she doesn't have any more kids in the mix by then.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Tatum said:

There is the million dollar question. I am sure Leah thought that cosmetology school would be just a bunch of friendly girls braiding each other's hair and trying on makeup while gossiping. But there's actual classroom time, not to mention the physical demands of the job.

This x a million^^^^

Leah loves the idea of being a college student, attending hair school or owning her own "business" (via scammy MLM's), however she has no interest in doing any of the work involved. Did you see the look on her face when the cosmetology lady told her she'd have to put in 1800 hours to graduate? It was immediate shock, followed by her completely tuning out because there's no way in hell it was ever going to happen. As far as the LipSense, MaryKay and all that other crap, these girls are among the few who could actually make money at that sort of thing because they have massive social media followings. However like anything else, you have to grind and hustle to build your clientele. This is what, the third time she's started "school" and dropped out? She'd be better off investing the money in some sort of IRA and letting it work for her instead of flushing it down the toilet with Incompletes and Dropped Classes. What a waste.

• Love 11

I think in Leah's mind she was planning to be self-sufficient, not work for someone else. Remember when Leah and her friends tried to run their own "business" of doing make-up for weddings and such? That backfired because no one was licensed. In other words, I think Leah wants to do what Vee has accomplished. Vee mentioned on her Instagram how she acquired her cosmetology license and is now booking appointments in different states. Leah wants to acquire a cosmetology license and be self-employed. Leah would pick and choose when and where she would take her make-up skills to. She thinks it is all fun and games where she gets paid to do make-up. She fails to realize that a person who does make-up as a career will have to travel, get up early in the morning, spend time away from their kids, and have clients who like her results. You can't have a lazy attitude. Sadly, Leah is fucking lazy. She wants things to just fall in her lap without any of the work that it entails.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 10