Type keyword(s) to search

Jesus God, Leah!!

• Start Topic

(edited)

Apparently Gracie isn't the only brat in the family. I was looking at Dawn's Facebook and there was a picture of all three girlses. Most of the comments were about how mean Addie is.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3

Apparently Gracie isn't the only brat in the family. I was looking at Dawn's Facebook and there was a picture of all three girlses. Most of the comments were about how mean Addie is.

How old is baby Addie? I mean, is she even old enough to "be mean" versus just copying her sisters or trying to look out for her own hide since she's the smallest of the three?

• Love 4

This speculation that Leah might be pregnant has me wondering, does Leah have greater than average odds of giving birth to another child with health issues? I wondered the same thing when she was pregnant with Adalynn.

There's a family in our neighborhood that has three children with Down's and other health problems. There are always fundraisers going on to get special things they need.

I have never understood why once someone has a child with a birth defect, they go on to have more kids. I'm sure the parents love the kids the same, but it seems unfair to the kid if they have a greater chance at being born with health problems. If I were a man, I wouldn't have a child with a woman that gave birth to a kid with MS (and yes, I realize the MS could have come from Corey).

How old is baby Addie? I mean, is she even old enough to "be mean" versus just copying her sisters or trying to look out for her own hide since she's the smallest of the three?

Idk, she seemed to be pretty mean to their cat.

• Love 2

Idk, she seemed to be pretty mean to their cat.

True story. I had forgotten that scene.

I wish Leah's cats and Jenelle's dogs could be rehomed to a nice retired person/couple with a lot of love to give and spare time who would spoil the heck out of them and treat them well.

• Love 2
(edited)

This speculation that Leah might be pregnant has me wondering, does Leah have greater than average odds of giving birth to another child with health issues? I wondered the same thing when she was pregnant with Adalynn.

There's a family in our neighborhood that has three children with Down's and other health problems. There are always fundraisers going on to get special things they need.

I have never understood why once someone has a child with a birth defect, they go on to have more kids. I'm sure the parents love the kids the same, but it seems unfair to the kid if they have a greater chance at being born with health problems. If I were a man, I wouldn't have a child with a woman that gave birth to a kid with MS (and yes, I realize the MS could have come from Corey).

I've always hoped that Leah & Jeremy and Corey & Miranda had some sort of counseling & testing or something from a geneticist before deciding to have additional children. With how quickly Leah and Jeremy got pregnant (and then pregnant again after the miscarriage she had before Addie), I kind of doubt it though. I'm also not sure how available that kind of testing is as far as costs, insurance, etc and if a doctor would recommend doing that before having another baby (say Leah's OB, Ali's cool Asian doctor that she loves, or any doctor treating Miranda or Corey who was aware of Ali's MD), as I'm not sure it would occur to any of them to seek that kind of testing on their own. I'd hope so but who knows. It does seem like the more kids you have, the more you'd be risking having another similar health problem with each one. I think if I was Leah or Corey and I was lucky enough to have one more child who is healthy after getting Ali's diagnosis, I wouldn't want to chance it by challenging the statistic probability that I might have another child with MD. But I also would never intentionally have had more than 2 kids anyway. If I had twins on my first go around, my uterus would have permanently shut down after their birth. Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 4

Leah's cousin's name is Chasity. I thought it was Chastity until I noticed the spelling during an episode and, of course, I rolled my eyes and called them fucking morons. I doubt any of these people know the definition of chastity, let alone  how to spell it. I can totally see Leah using Chassidy as a middle name for the next A child. Ativanne is lovely and so appropriate!

• Love 3

She doesn't have MS.  MS is short for Multiple Sclerosis.  She has a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy.  I would assume that Leah had genetic counseling, but probably not. 

• Love 2

Leah's cousin's name is Chasity. I thought it was Chastity until I noticed the spelling during an episode and, of course, I rolled my eyes and called them fucking morons. I doubt any of these people know the definition of chastity, let alone  how to spell it. I can totally see Leah using Chassidy as a middle name for the next A child. Ativanne is lovely and so appropriate!

Maybe it's so primitive there that some of them are still using the old handwritten birth record forms like what you can browse at WVculture.org/vrr, and a clerical error stuck?

Also, if there was any proof these atrocities were NOT intended for Leah's spawn, it's that the middle name is Faye. If it was Leah's, there would be a virtue middle name. She already used Hope, Grace and Faith.

It's like reading 17th century Puritan genealogies in Massachusetts. "Frugality" would have a nice ironic ring given the mother's money skillz.

• Love 2

Faye?  Is someone giving birth to a 65 year old in a mumu?

Isn't one  of the girls' middle names already Faith?  Faye seems kinda close to that... although she does like the sound-alike names.

I'm assuming the middle name would have to fit in somehow with the whole Hope, Grace, Faith type theme.  I couldn't help myself, I looked it up and found this is a trend - "Virtue names."  All sorts of possibilities here: http://baby.about.com/od/welcomingbabyhome/qt/Virtue-Names-Beyond-Faith-Grace-And-Hope.htm

• Love 1

Maybe it's so primitive there that some of them are still using the old handwritten birth record forms like what you can browse at WVculture.org/vrr, and a clerical error stuck?

It's like reading 17th century Puritan genealogies in Massachusetts. "Frugality" would have a nice ironic ring given the mother's money skillz.

Probably not. I knew of more than one "Chasity" living there for the six or so years I did.

One thing I note...West Virginia is extremely obese. It's typically right behind Mississippi in obesity rates. Literally everyone in my family who lives there is obese enough for it to affect their health. Their food is terrible, the fruit in the grocery store is often rotting on the shelves, and prohibitively expensive. Everyone eats like they're still farmers and coal miners, but then they go to their desk jobs. When I lived there, I was one of the thinnest people I knew, and growing up, there was no shortage of commentary on my figure. My own relatives would make distasteful comments about my body, some complimentary and some caustic, and some downright inappropriate considering my age and relation to them.

The constant, running commentary on my "mini butt" definitely messed with my brain and certainly contributed in some way to my eating disorder. It also led me to think that as long as I was the thinnest person in the room, I was some hot shit. I see it with Leah all the time. Corey saying "why can't I get over your little ass?" and his mom trying to give Corey advice on getting over Leah, making sure to add in some digs about (paraphrasing) how he needs to find a nice young woman who maybe isn't so thin. People in very obese populations both hate and idealize thin people, and they're not shy about letting their feelings be known. It might be part of the reason Leah is simultaneously falling apart and so full of herself. Given her family, and her figure even now after two full-term pregnancies, I'm sure she gets comments daily about how she looks, and sometimes, they can be merciless.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything, I just see a lot of the way people treat Leah in the way they treated me when I lived there. Of course, I reacted much differently, but it's interesting to see the parallels.

• Love 9

Also, if there was any proof these atrocities were NOT intended for Leah's spawn, it's that the middle name is Faye. If it was Leah's, there would be a virtue middle name. She already used Hope, Grace and Faith. I doubt she would open herself up to the Chastity jokes, so my money is on Joy.

You beat me to it!  I should've read more of the thread first. I'm thinking Destiny or Joy. Or the dreadful Neveah, but that might be over her head.

You beat me to it!  I should've read more of the thread first. I'm thinking Destiny or Joy. Or the dreadful Neveah, but that might be over her head.

Even worse--I think it's actually Nevaeh (heaven backwards). Dreadful indeed, either way.

How about Abominella Cleanliness?

• Love 2

Even worse--I think it's actually Nevaeh (heaven backwards). Dreadful indeed, either way.

How about Abominella Cleanliness?

heh... oops. I knew that, was snarking on it, and still spelled it wrong. (blush) Thank you for the correction.

• Love 2

I've always hoped that Leah & Jeremy and Corey & Miranda had some sort of counseling & testing or something from a geneticist before deciding to have additional children. With how quickly Leah and Jeremy got pregnant (and then pregnant again after the miscarriage she had before Addie), I kind of doubt it though. I'm also not sure how available that kind of testing is as far as costs, insurance, etc and if a doctor would recommend doing that before having another baby (say Leah's OB, Ali's cool Asian doctor that she loves, or any doctor treating Miranda or Corey who was aware of Ali's MD), as I'm not sure it would occur to any of them to seek that kind of testing on their own. I'd hope so but who knows. It does seem like the more kids you have, the more you'd be risking having another similar health problem with each one. I think if I was Leah or Corey and I was lucky enough to have one more child who is healthy after getting Ali's diagnosis, I wouldn't want to chance it by challenging the statistic probability that I might have another child with MD. But I also would never intentionally have had more than 2 kids anyway. If I had twins on my first go around, my uterus would have permanently shut down after their birth.

I thought once Leah said the birth defect was caused because one baby was bigger than the other, taking up more space, and Leah's uterus wasn't big enough to handle both babies. It stuck out to me because it seemed like she was blaming herself, which she of course shouldn't. Snark aside, probably related to the prescription drug abuse if she really does blame herself.

Anyway, I believe at the point when they were deciding to have more kids, I don't believe anyone thought it was genetic, but instead related to the fact they were multiples.

• Love 2

Given their diet, the next baby could be Aspartame Cheetosity. 

Also, I have to laugh my ass off at rejecting certain names for not being "white". The first "Aleeah" I ever met was this little bi-racial girl in my daycare class. (I was the teacher, not a kid.) Her mother was Hispanic and her father was black. Her name was Aleeah (my spelling might be wrong) and he sister was Alasia. Sounds right up the Messer-Simms-Calvert alley. 

• Love 6

Probably not. I knew of more than one "Chasity" living there for the six or so years I did.

One thing I note...West Virginia is extremely obese. It's typically right behind Mississippi in obesity rates. Literally everyone in my family who lives there is obese enough for it to affect their health. Their food is terrible, the fruit in the grocery store is often rotting on the shelves, and prohibitively expensive. Everyone eats like they're still farmers and coal miners, but then they go to their desk jobs. When I lived there, I was one of the thinnest people I knew, and growing up, there was no shortage of commentary on my figure. My own relatives would make distasteful comments about my body, some complimentary and some caustic, and some downright inappropriate considering my age and relation to them.

The constant, running commentary on my "mini butt" definitely messed with my brain and certainly contributed in some way to my eating disorder. It also led me to think that as long as I was the thinnest person in the room, I was some hot shit. I see it with Leah all the time. Corey saying "why can't I get over your little ass?" and his mom trying to give Corey advice on getting over Leah, making sure to add in some digs about (paraphrasing) how he needs to find a nice young woman who maybe isn't so thin. People in very obese populations both hate and idealize thin people, and they're not shy about letting their feelings be known. It might be part of the reason Leah is simultaneously falling apart and so full of herself. Given her family, and her figure even now after two full-term pregnancies, I'm sure she gets comments daily about how she looks, and sometimes, they can be merciless.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything, I just see a lot of the way people treat Leah in the way they treated me when I lived there. Of course, I reacted much differently, but it's interesting to see the parallels.

Omg i never thought about her in that light but it seems so true!

• Love 2
(edited)

I also grew up in a Southern state that's not far behind Mississippi in obesity (Louisiana, not WV) and I totally agree with what you're saying about the way thinness is fetishized, praised, and vilified. If you're thin in some of these places where huge percentages of the people are overweight or obese, you've got a LOT going for you in some people's eyes. It may be all you have going, but it will be enough to make you a popular, pretty girl who thinks she's hot shit. I'm pretty sure that has contributed/is contributing to Leah's entitled attitude. Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 2

I thought once Leah said the birth defect was caused because one baby was bigger than the other, taking up more space, and Leah's uterus wasn't big enough to handle both babies.

Is that what she said?  What a moron.  What a fucking moron.  Muscular Dystrophy is a genetic disorder.  I know the little one (I always forget her name) has a rare form of the disease, but muscular dystrophy is typically caused by a parent carrying the gene.  Sometimes a child can have a mutation on its own without either parent carrying it.  I wonder if Corey got tested before he has more kids?

• Love 1

I've always hoped that Leah & Jeremy and Corey & Miranda had some sort of counseling & testing or something from a geneticist before deciding to have additional children. With how quickly Leah and Jeremy got pregnant (and then pregnant again after the miscarriage she had before Addie), I kind of doubt it though. I'm also not sure how available that kind of testing is as far as costs, insurance, etc and if a doctor would recommend doing that before having another baby (say Leah's OB, Ali's cool Asian doctor that she loves, or any doctor treating Miranda or Corey who was aware of Ali's MD), as I'm not sure it would occur to any of them to seek that kind of testing on their own. I'd hope so but who knows. It does seem like the more kids you have, the more you'd be risking having another similar health problem with each one. I think if I was Leah or Corey and I was lucky enough to have one more child who is healthy after getting Ali's diagnosis, I wouldn't want to chance it by challenging the statistic probability that I might have another child with MD. But I also would never intentionally have had more than 2 kids anyway. If I had twins on my first go around, my uterus would have permanently shut down after their birth.

I have also wondered if they have been through genetic counseling. For Leah and Jeremy, I highly doubt it. They got together in Aug 2011, and news of her miscarriage came out Jan 2012, 5 months later. Then they got married in April, and Adalynn was born the following February. That all happened really fast, but I have no idea about how genetic counseling and testing works. I do know that it requires some forethought, which Leah isn't exactly a champ at.

I'll try not to let my bias affect my opinion, but I think Corey and Miranda could have done it. They were married in June 2013 and their baby is due January 2016.

• Love 3

Is that what she said?  What a moron.  What a fucking moron.  Muscular Dystrophy is a genetic disorder.  I know the little one (I always forget her name) has a rare form of the disease, but muscular dystrophy is typically caused by a parent carrying the gene.  Sometimes a child can have a mutation on its own without either parent carrying it.  I wonder if Corey got tested before he has more kids?

She definitely did say it at one point, but in fairness to her, it might have been several seasons before Ali had an official diagnosis and Leah was just theorizing possible causes for Ali's as yet undetermined disability.

I would be shocked if either couple had genetic counseling prior to pregnancy.

• Love 2

She definitely did say it at one point, but in fairness to her, it might have been several seasons before Ali had an official diagnosis and Leah was just theorizing possible causes for Ali's as yet undetermined disability.

I thought she said that was the reason for the Muscular Dystrophy.  If it was before the diagnosis, we can cut her a very small slack. 

Some uteruses are oddly shaped and that can cause problems.  Did she get that checked?  Either way, she still sounds ignorant when she discusses the issue.

I remember her saying it to her mom (that it was her fault for not being big enough to accommodate twins), but don't remember at what point in the series it was.

I don't know how to ask this without it sounding snarky, but I truly mean it as non-snarky. Can they just not spell?  Or is that an actual normal name in some cultures, regions, etc?

• Love 5

I don't know how to ask this without it sounding snarky, but I truly mean it as non-snarky. Can they just not spell?  Or is that an actual normal name in some cultures, regions, etc?

There are many people with this name, but yes, I think it started because people can't spell. That's one of those words we don't always enunciate well out loud, so I guess people don't realize they're missing a "t."

• Love 3

I've known a couple of Chasity named girls. It's like Cassidy. Chastity would be a weird name to me but, whatever. I don't think I ever really thought about it much until now. Lol

• Love 1

I thought once Leah said the birth defect was caused because one baby was bigger than the other, taking up more space, and Leah's uterus wasn't big enough to handle both babies.

I think she did say this at one time. It was before the official diagnosis.

I would be shocked if either couple had genetic counseling prior to pregnancy

Leah is probably afraid to go that route because she would learn she is an inbred.

• Love 6

Some uteruses are oddly shaped and that can cause problems. Did she get that checked? Either way, she still sounds ignorant when she discusses the issue.

You're too generous. She sounds ignorant when she discusses almost ANY issue.

• Love 4
I know a couple of Chasity's each spelled a different way.  What's wrong with this spelling that I'm missing?  I've seen Chassity and Chasity.

Many, including myself, think the spelling should be "Chastity."  2 Ts. 

I don't know though.    Is her name supposed to like "Cassidy"?  I guess "Chasity" is the only one who can answer that for us. 

• Love 5

Chas[t]ity and Cassidy are unrelated names that happen to sound alike. "Chasity" and its variations are based on the Biblical virtue of chastity (the opposite of promiscuity, more or less), while Cassidy is an Irish surname. People can name their kids "Chasity," "Chassidy," "Zhasadee," or whatever they want, because America, but only "Chastity" is an actual word.

• Love 10

I would be shocked if either couple had genetic counseling prior to pregnancy.

This is how I remember it, too. I remember her saying it at first when she noticed Ali's legs and feet seemed malforrmed. (And I have a friend who had twins and one was born with a club foot and twin+ pregnancies are a risk factor for having a baby with club feet.)  At the time, I didn't think ti was crazy or stupid because they didn't know.

• Love 1

Too bad Leah doesn't hold herself responsible for how her kids are turning out, especially since she demands they remain with her and in her care instead of giving Cory more time so she isn't so overwhelmed.

• Love 8

I've known a couple of Chasity named girls. It's like Cassidy. Chastity would be a weird name to me but, whatever. I don't think I ever really thought about it much until now. Lol

And who would've ever thought anyone in the Messer family would make you think about Chastity? 

• Love 7

Chas[t]ity and Cassidy are unrelated names that happen to sound alike. "Chasity" and its variations are based on the Biblical virtue of chastity (the opposite of promiscuity, more or less), while Cassidy is an Irish surname. People can name their kids "Chasity," "Chassidy," "Zhasadee," or whatever they want, because America, but only "Chastity" is an actual word.

Oh my God, yes. Of all the hideous things people name their children, this drives me crazy. Like Maci's Jayde. Jade is a stone. Jayde is not.

• Love 4

I've been watching Leah's 16 and Pregnant, and a couple things jumped out at me. Leah mentions that she is Corey's first girlfriend. I am wondering if this means Corey lost his virginity to Leah. I mean, sure, maybe he had a few one night stands with some girls in the Niagara Falls area, but given how socially awkward he came across, and his attachment to Leah, I am wondering if maybe Leah is the Ryan Edwards to Corey's Maci.

Furthermore, Leah actually wasn't the heinous bitch I remember in the first third of her 16 and pregnant episode. She's actually smiley and friendly around Corey, at about 5-6 months pregnant. She kind of mentions that she doesn't really know Corey well, but what's done is done, and since they are going to be raising two kids together, she might as well make the best of it. Then, about a third of the way in, (when she's around 6-7 months pregnant), she moves in with Corey, and all hell breaks loose. It's seriously like a switch got flipped. She starts mentioning Robbie, the Love of Her Life, and bitching nonstop at Corey. I mean, she out and out despises him in the second third of the show. It's actually really hard to watch, because you can just see Corey completely baffled, wondering where all this anger was coming from.

I can't figure out if it was brought on by hormones, the adjustment to living with Corey, or something, but Leah went from vapid but still likeable to complete evil bitch with absolutely no explanation.

Also, while I still don't believe that Leah purposely got pregnant with the twins, it is worth noting that during the episode, Corey does say (and Leah is sitting right there and doesn't refute it) that Leah specifically told him she was still on the shot. Leah explains it that she has had lapses in her shots before and never would up pregnant so she assumed it was still okay.

• Love 4

I don't think Cory was a virgin, I think he just never had a serious girlfriend but slept around or just had one night stands.  My sister's first husband was actually from the same county Leah lives in and he was 20 something when she met him and my sister was his first real girlfriend. He definitely wasn't a virgin. I don't know if its a regional thing or what but a lot of the blue collar guys in that area didn't believe in being committed. They enjoyed hooking up and weren't really interested in settling down and then they normally married the first girl they dated long enough to become their "girlfriend"  Leah really needs to grow up and her retarded family needs to stop enabling her. My blood boils when her ugly mother bashed Cory. Cory is ten times the parent your daughter will ever be, Mama Dawn! Leah can't even get her kids to important things like SCHOOL and PHYSICAL THERAPY.  Those are basic things that every parent does and Leah can not be trusted to complete those tasks. Her kids are wild and even the baby thinks that spitting on great grandma is ok?? Sorry but Leah is a shitty parent.

• Love 4

I don't know if its a regional thing or what but a lot of the blue collar guys in that area didn't believe in being committed. They enjoyed hooking up and weren't really interested in settling down and then they normally married the first girl they dated long enough to become their "girlfriend"

I can definitely see that (hell, a lot of college guys that age feel the same way), but Corey seems like the kind of guy who always wanted to be in a relationship. I guess either way, Leah remains significant to him in that she was his first serious girlfriend, even if they kind of skipped the whole girlfriend part.

Leah can't even get her kids to important things like SCHOOL and PHYSICAL THERAPY.  Those are basic things that every parent does and Leah can not be trusted to complete those tasks. Her kids are wild and even the baby thinks that spitting on great grandma is ok?? Sorry but Leah is a shitty parent.

That does really piss me off too, especially when Leah's friend was assuring her that every parent is late sometimes. Hey Friend- 1. your own kid is banging his head against the wall and looks completely fried, so maybe you're not the expert one what "every parent" does, and 2. "Late every once in awhile" =/= chronically late and missing appointments entirely, or arriving so late they have to be rescheduled.

Leah to me seems like someone who is woefully lacking in understanding what it means to parent. Leah seems to think parenting only involves feeding and clothing your kids (indoors is optional and anything technically edible counts as feeding), and telling them you love them, and making sure the house doesn't burn down while they're inside.

She doesn't get teaching them accountability, manners, work ethic, character building, social skills, or having a structured schedule while at home, good nutrition, age appropriate activities, and my number one complaint with all these girls except maybe Chelsea- just because you aren't beating or starving them does not mean you aren't doing them wrong in some less tangible way. Withholding them from the other parent, sabotaging their relationship with the other parent, disparaging their family members on their other side, etc- those are all forms of abuse (I'm looking at you too, KAIL).

• Love 8

And who would've ever thought anyone in the Messer family would make you think about Chastity? 

LOL  

The Messer family is all about babies and their female brood having babies. Forget how many baby daddies there are. They should forget Chastity or Chasity for a name. Just go for Vulva or Labia.

• Love 4

LOL  

The Messer family is all about babies and their female brood having babies. Forget how many baby daddies there are. They should forget Chastity or Chasity for a name. Just go for Vulva or Labia.

Oh sure confuse the hell out of them... like they have that much knowledge of anatomy! :)

• Love 4

I was looking for how to spell "Amurrica," the ironic spelling for right-wing backwards "America" because I think that would work well. However, I also found "amurca," which is "the bitter-tasting, dark-colored, watery sediment that settles out of unfiltered olive oil over time." That works.

I have a unique last name and it's always been hell to pronounce, spell and correct people's pronunciation (if they ask). How do school teachers even handle the names these days?!

• Love 3

How do school teachers even handle the names these days?!

I'm not sure how serious your question was, but my Mom taught special ed Jr. High school in a low income district until she retired a couple of years ago. She decided her best bet was to ask the kids, "what do you want to be called, and how should I say it?"  Some of them didn't even remotely resemble the spelling of their official names.  At least the kids got to pick.

• Love 3
(edited)

Thanks! It is two completely different names to me.  Chasity is pronounced different from Chastity.  Chas-ity.  Chast-ity, and Cassidy.  All three different names. Said three different ways.  I know one of each.

Edited by Mkay
  • Love 5

I was looking for how to spell "Amurrica," the ironic spelling for right-wing backwards "America" because I think that would work well. However, I also found "amurca," which is "the bitter-tasting, dark-colored, watery sediment that settles out of unfiltered olive oil over time." That works.

I always use 'Murica.

• Love 4