Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: I'm Also a Boat Captain!

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Maybe Rhylee is there for exposure, but both shows have had a decent number of captains in the crew. Some have bragged about it and others have been relatively quiet about it. Aleks Taldykin, Bryan Kattenburg, and Chandler are actually yacht captains. Aleks and Bryan talked about it a fair amount early in their respective seasons, Aleks especially. Eddie Lucas was a tugboat captain before being on the show. Colin Macy-O'Toole is a ferry captain; he captains the Fire Island Ferry. Rhylee is a charter fishing boat captain.

Bad gig for a straight guy.

10 hours ago, scrb said:

Do smaller boat captains really trade up to bigger boats but with much more menial jobs like deck hand?

Or do they only do it for a TV show?

I don't really know the industry, but I can see the benefits of a captain on a smaller ship taking a position as a deck hand, bosun, or 1st mate on a larger ship to become more familiar with the workings of a luxury super yacht. I've read that the captains on luxury super yachts can earn $200K - $300K a year for like 3 months of work. Like if you are a captain on a smaller boat earning $40K or $50K a year it's probably worth your while to try to try to step up to the next level.

Bryan lives in Florida, like a lot of them, and still does charter work all over the world. If he's been certified to captain a boat that's over 150 ft, but never given the opportunity to captain anything over 100ft, then doing the show might be worth it. Aleks is a little different. He does day charters out of southern California. He knows his business and doesn't want to travel too much. I do find it funny that Lee dismissed Aleks' suggestion of synchronized fender drop as showy nonsense and is now doing it on MY Seanna. Aleks does day charters and he's got 10 -12 hours tops to impress his charter guests. So he was probably more knowledgeable about the types of things that impress guests who aren't going to be onboard for a long time. His crew showed up on an episode of RHoBH.

http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-beverly-hills/season-8/did-you-catch-the-below-deck-cameo-on-last-nights

51 minutes ago, Reality police said:

Bad gig for a straight guy.

Ha! Or maybe it's an easy way to pick up a fruit fly straight gal pal who is tagging along. But it's probably not great pickings.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I don't really know the industry, but I can see the benefits of a captain on a smaller ship taking a position as a deck hand, bosun, or 1st mate on a larger ship to become more familiar with the workings of a luxury super yacht. I've read that the captains on luxury super yachts can earn $200K - $300K a year for like 3 months of work. Like if you are a captain on a smaller boat earning $40K or $50K a year it's probably worth your while to try to try to step up to the next level.

Bryan lives in Florida, like a lot of them, and still does charter work all over the world. If he's been certified to captain a boat that's over 150 ft, but never given the opportunity to captain anything over 100ft, then doing the show might be worth it. Aleks is a little different. He does day charters out of southern California. He knows his business and doesn't want to travel too much. I do find it funny that Lee dismissed Aleks' suggestion of synchronized fender drop as showy nonsense and is now doing it on MY Seanna. Aleks does day charters and he's got 10 -12 hours tops to impress his charter guests. So he was probably more knowledgeable about the types of things that impress guests who aren't going to be onboard for a long time. His crew showed up on an episode of RHoBH.

http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-beverly-hills/season-8/did-you-catch-the-below-deck-cameo-on-last-nights

Ha! Or maybe it's an easy way to pick up a fruit fly straight gal pal who is tagging along. But it's probably not great pickings.

I love "fruit fly". I have always hated the one with the initials FH. 

• Love 1