Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: I'm Also a Boat Captain!

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

I loved when Chef Adrian got the guests to eat the veal & they ended up loving it.

Are the crew members & Captain Lee allowed to view the video footage if a problem arises to defend themselves?  Say for example Rylee got put under the bus by the other deckhands & was reprimanded by Captain Lee for them saying she put the guests in danger in the water even though she advised them not to go swimming & held her composure getting the guests in the tender as quick & safely as she did (while the others were losing it.) This is just an example.  

Love how Captain Lee got involved in the suitcase incident.  Hope he brings it up when they have their tip meeting. 

Are they ever going to have new charter guests? New season & two repeat guests already.  Can't Bravo dig up someone new? 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Are the crew members & Captain Lee allowed to view the video footage if a problem arises to defend themselves?  Say for example Rylee got put under the bus by the other deckhands & was reprimanded by Captain Lee for them saying she put the guests in danger in the water even though she advised them not to go swimming & held her composure getting the guests in the tender as quick & safely as she did (while the others were losing it.) This is just an example.  

Probably not unless law enforcement gets involved and subpoenas the footage. The rough rule of thumb is that no one outside of the film crew, production, or the network sees the footage unless there is a crime AND a lawyer makes them turn it over. On Bachelor in Paradise, Corrine and Demario saw the footage because there was a question of whether a rape had occurred and Corrine's producer friend made a complaint to HR that having to watch participants get raped was a hostile work environment. At that point, it became a legal issue.

So we know the Secret Service used footage from Atlanta to find the assets that Apollo was hiding. We also know that the Federal Court used footage to demonstrate that Teresa was lying about her income and assets.

Even on Vanderpump Rules, which is one of their marquee shows, the producers let Kristen twist in the wind for most of the season as the Toms and Jax misheard James and repeated the falsehood that Kristen and James slept together. And they literally could not stop repeating it. It wasn't until the episode aired that she found out the truth. But they did the same thing to Kandi on Atlanta by letting Phaedra hint around at the margins of the show that Kandi was a rapist. So Kandi spent half that season perplexed wondering where this was coming from, but the producers knew. The producers don't care.

The cast contracts say the show can just make up complete falsehoods if they want to and cast has no recourse. And that's absolutely true. I think that's probably completely legal as long it doesn't get the cast person in criminal justice trouble.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 14

@HunterHunted Thanks for your detailed answer  I've always wondered how it works.  I do like it when someone is caught in a lie.  Like on RHOC Kelly said she didnt know who Emily's husband was or was never introduced to him when she exploded at Tamra's party.  They quickly flashed to the scene of them being introduced to one another at the beginning of the party. Love it. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Rhylee is definitely abrasive, but this!  She said the guests shouldn’t swim, Ross said it was ok.  Then he was freaked out about time and the surf and tried to make it her fault for not getting them back on the boat quickly enough.

Chandler giving her the silent treatment was also A-1 leadership.

• Love 20
16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Yeah the reaction of everyone to the veal was weird. I mean I think the baby animals thing is ridiculous but at least that woman had a “reason” the other people just seemed freaked out by it before they tasted it. It’s just more tender beef tools, it’s not like it’s offal or something. 

I know a woman who's father raised cattle and I've personally seen her eat a steak the size of a serving platter, but when I mentioned potentially serving veal parm at a holiday party, she lost her shit. I know veal is a hot button issue, but a) there was also a chicken and a fish option, and b) cattle farmer, 2 pound steak! 

• Love 3

Rhylee is annoying and asking too many questions, but I also think the guys are uncomfortable with an assertive female.  Especially one who has achieved the rank of Captain.

I can’t believe we are seeing so many returning guests!  It’s Tahiti not the Carribean, it makes no sense that they don’t have new guests!  Bravo must hire the guests too!

• Love 7
12 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Wow, the chef can do no wrong this season. The guests did not want veal. His creative self wanted to serve veal. The guests loved the veal. Amazing. 

Was it specified on the preference sheet that the guests did not want veal? Did I miss that? If it wasn't specified not to serve them veal, then how was Adrian to know they did not want veal?

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Was it specified on the preference sheet that the guests did not want veal? Did I miss that? If it wasn't specified not to serve them veal, then how was Adrian to know they did not want veal?

I don't think it was specified that they didn't want it. They made statements about not asking for it. He had no idea they didn't like it. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

Rhylee is annoying and asking too many questions, but I also think the guys are uncomfortable with an assertive female.  Especially one who has achieved the rank of Captain.

I see it differently.  I think she is a loud mouth who won't shut-the-fuck-up.  Maybe she is overcompensating in Alaska and brought that attitude with her.

I did catch her say that her "real job" is being a captain.  That tells me she is there for the tv exposure.  Maybe she is hoping she will get her crew a show in Alaska.  I don't like her.

• Love 20
46 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

I see it differently.  I think she is a loud mouth who won't shut-the-fuck-up.  Maybe she is overcompensating in Alaska and brought that attitude with her.

I did catch her say that her "real job" is being a captain.  That tells me she is there for the tv exposure.  Maybe she is hoping she will get her crew a show in Alaska.  I don't like her.

I agree.  I can't stand her.  She reminds me of Sarah Ferguson (British Fergie) in the way she looks and how she likes attention.  That see thru dress reeked of the desperate need for attention from either the guys or the camera.  When the guys tell her anything she seems to need to have a comeback.  Irritating to me.  I didn't think about her hoping for a show with her boat in Alaska-- I wouldn't be able to watch a whole season of her I don't believe.  But then again, she may be different when she's the actual captain of a small boat and the center of attention.  Who knows?

• Love 8

All of these guys on the deck crew make me want to stab them. They view every question from Rhylee as her questioning their knowledge and expertise as opposed to Rhylee asking for clarification so that she understands the task. Questions are attitude.  Good to know. Perhaps that's why none of these dipshits is a rocket scientist. Questions are attitude. Fucking immature insecure assholes. I hope their testicles retract and never drop.

Rhylee is annoying, but that deck crew is filled with assholes. Jamie can do so much better than this choad.

• Love 23
10 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Eh, everyone on this show is on it for the TV exposure, even if they are yachties at heart. There are other jobs on yachts, and other kinds of boats. They don't need to do Below Deck if they don't want to be on TV.

12 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

I can’t believe we are seeing so many returning guests!  It’s Tahiti not the Carribean, it makes no sense that they don’t have new guests!  Bravo must hire the guests too!

Tahiti is hard to get to from the mainland US--much harder than the Caribbean. Also, it's the rainy season in Tahiti--probably not when most guests want to spend the time and money to venture there. I'd bet that return Below Deck guests get a bigger discount than new guests.

I was all set to dislike Rhylee, but I agree that she's facing some pretty misogynistic and condescending treatment from her co-workers. Any workplace where people give you shit for asking questions so you can do your job is not healthy. Now, if we had indication that she was asking the same question over and over again, that would be different. But they keep reminding us she is 4th on the totem pole. The greenest person is supposed to be asking questions and getting trained. If Chandler isn't giving her instruction from the get-go, the responsible thing for her to do is ask questions and make sure she's doing things right, not just hope that she understands. That's one way people get hurt. (There was a great episode of the podcast Invisibilia about how an oil rig increased safety by creating an atmosphere in which the tough-guy crew could ask questions and admit mistakes.)

• Love 15

I don't get the concept of "if it's not on my preference sheet I don't want it."  I mean, if you absolutely don't eat something, put it on the "avoid" list. But how boring to only get things on the preference sheet. I might say something like I love fish, including shellfish, and will eat most any vegetable except for green peppers, which I hate. 

• Love 11

It was also ridiculous because they had other types of beef (steak) on their preference sheets, but they had an objection to veal. Veal is from a cow 6 - 7 months old. While a regular beef is from a cow 12 - 24 months old.

Honestly, most of the charter guests have such pedestrian tastes. I feel like we've only seen a handful of guests who really knew their food. Dean Slover, but not his hangers on. Then there was that charter that had their own yacht and came with their own cases of wine and sat down with Kate to pair the wine. Most of the guests say they want to be wowed, but they just want lobster mac and cheese, truffle alfredo, a steak, or fancy nachos. If that's what your tastes are, save $50K and head to Red Lobster, Brio, Carrabbas, Maggiano's, Romano's, or Ruth's Chris. It's not that these places are bad, but I'm sure as shit not paying tens of thousands of dollars for some slightly elevated version of chain restaurant food that I can find in literally every American city with a population over 250,000.

I couldn't stand Leon and he screwed up with protein shakes, but no group was more disappointing than the Tapout charter. Those folks literally only wanted mall food court food.

• Love 9
On 10/17/2018 at 2:24 AM, yourmomiseasy said:

I'm on team "pretty much the entire lot of them are assholes"

And for the most part unemployable in any other industry.  Or other parts of the cruising industry.

On 10/17/2018 at 4:17 AM, HunterHunted said:

Also she's wrong because there's a hardly an animal raised for food that comes to market in the US that's older than 2 years old. And yes it's different in cow years, but it's still about late teens or early 20s.

I was waiting for someone to ask her if she likes eating eggs.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, scrb said:

I don't think dismissing this as the men gaslighting Rhylee is valid.

She's also alienated Kate.

This is a good point. She seems to lash out at anyone who she perceives as slighting her. Major persecution complex. Maybe Borderline Personality Disorder?

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

This is a good point. She seems to lash out at anyone who she perceives as slighting her. Major persecution complex. Maybe Borderline Personality Disorder?

I was particularly annoyed that she just kept picking at the issue. She said her piece that night, she was pretty much shut down by Kate, who told her that she was the one continuing the argument (true). So drop it. Act like a team player and eventually people will stop being pissed at you.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Yea, I was a big bugged by that as well. 

The main guest kept stating that veal was not on their preference sheets. But....exactly. It wasn't on there as a desire OR a no-no. Adrian also pointed out that "surprise me" was on the preference sheet. But when he brought that up, the main guest said something like, "Yea, surprise me with something FROM my preferences!" 

Really, dude? Really? I was expecting a meltdown. I'm glad they all tried it and realized Adrian knew what the fuck he was doing. 

• Love 14
3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Yea, I was a big bugged by that as well. 

The main guest kept stating that veal was not on their preference sheets. But....exactly. It wasn't on there as a desire OR a no-no. Adrian also pointed out that "surprise me" was on the preference sheet. But when he brought that up, the main guest said something like, "Yea, surprise me with something FROM my preferences!" 

Really, dude? Really? I was expecting a meltdown. I'm glad they all tried it and realized Adrian knew what the fuck he was doing. 

The one guest put on his sheet that he liked steak and bacon. They usually get 6 meals on these 2 day charters. What surprise can you pull off from the choice of exactly 2 very specific proteins? It's not pork or beef. It was bacon and steak. Those aren't the choices of someone who wants to be surprised; those are the choices of someone who doesn't want to be outside his comfort zone. He thinks he's open adventurous person, but he's really not and especially not when it comes to food.

"For lunch, you have a BLT and loaded potato soup with bacon. For dinner, you have steak. For breakfast, you have bacon. For lunch, you have steak. For dinner, you have...you thought I was going to say bacon. Nope, this time you have steak. Surprise!"

These are the kind of people who find ordering from the menu of the restaurant in the Hilton too daunting. "It says carpaccio; that seems kind of weird."

• Love 6

I think it's difficult to demand respect from a junior deckhand or stew when you've just been out the night before making a fool of yourself in a bar on your night off.  The entire crew goes out together, get ridiculously drunk, grind up on each other, cry, throw temper tantrums etc. and then a couple hours later start bitching about "respect my position".  (I'm looking at you Hannah and Conrad).

• Like 1
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

It was also ridiculous because they had other types of beef (steak) on their preference sheets, but they had an objection to veal. Veal is from a cow 6 - 7 months old. While a regular beef is from a cow 12 - 24 months old.

Honestly, most of the charter guests have such pedestrian tastes. I feel like we've only seen a handful of guests who really knew their food. Dean Slover, but not his hangers on. Then there was that charter that had their own yacht and came with their own cases of wine and sat down with Kate to pair the wine. Most of the guests say they want to be wowed, but they just want lobster mac and cheese, truffle alfredo, a steak, or fancy nachos. If that's what your tastes are, save $50K and head to Red Lobster, Brio, Carrabbas, Maggiano's, Romano's, or Ruth's Chris. It's not that these places are bad, but I'm sure as shit not paying tens of thousands of dollars for some slightly elevated version of chain restaurant food that I can find in literally every American city with a population over 250,000.

I couldn't stand Leon and he screwed up with protein shakes, but no group was more disappointing than the Tapout charter. Those folks literally only wanted mall food court food.

OTOH, would you want to be surprised with the kind of food Anthony Bourdain eats on his show?

Pork boiled in its own blood or eel broiled in blood, which is what he was served in Portugal?

There are plenty of other "authentic" cuisines which would challenge the most adventurous tastes.

I would think food is just a part of it.  The luxury cabins, the water sports toys, etc. -- though I'm surprised people will spend a lot of money to ride jet skis.

If you go to these tropical locales, you can spend thousands to stay at some luxury villa or resort with gourmet food.  But these people choose to be on a boat so they must want comparable experiences at least.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, scrb said:

OTOH, would you want to be surprised with the kind of food Anthony Bourdain eats on his show?

Pork boiled in its own blood or eel broiled in blood, which is what he was served in Portugal?

There are plenty of other "authentic" cuisines which would challenge the most adventurous tastes.

But that's not the equivalent type of trip. You don't go to the Ritz Carlton in Tokyo and only get served natto and eel in their restaurant. I feel like if you're booking a charter for this show and you take a look at menus at the Four Seasons, the Ritz, or even a Hilton and none of that appeals to you, just straight come out and say that. Don't fill out a preference sheet and act like you're willing to eat certain foods when you're not. If scallops in a beurre blanc isn't your thing, tell the chef. It only serves to frustrate everyone when the chef slaves away making you something fancy and you want a quesadilla.

• Love 8
22 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Rhylee is probably looking to get on a show like Deadliest Catch or something like that.  That see through dress was a clear “Look at MEEEEEE” moment.  I don’t like her at all.  I also don’t like any of the deck crew.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Veal is from a cow 6 - 7 months old. While a regular beef is from a cow 12 - 24 months old.

From The Human Society Veterinary Medical Association :

Facts on Veal Calves

Veal calves, for the most part, are unwanted male calves from dairy breeds—primarily the offspring of Holstein cows.

With the advent of artificial insemination, only highly bred pedigree bulls who sire high producing cows are kept for breeding and consequently, and male calves have little value to the dairy farmer.

Four categories of veal calves:

"Bob" veal calves are newborns, some with umbilical cords still hanging from their abdomens, up to three weeks of age. About 15% of veal calves are marketed as Bob Veal. Meat from these calves goes into hot dogs and prepared sandwich meats.

"Milk fed" veal calves are often anemic. The calves are fed a low iron diet to produce the most desired white meat. They are fed milk replacer, which can be laced with antibiotics in order to control the diarrhea that is caused by an inadequate diet. These calves are restricted from moving and spend their lives in small stalls or hutches. They are slaughtered at 18 to 20 weeks of age. Calves can be so crippled from confinement that they have to be helped into the truck or trailer on the way to the slaughter plant.

"Red" veal calves are fed milk replacer plus grain and hay. They are allowed to move about in large pens. The meat is thought to be less desirable because it is more red and not the highly desired white meat. These calves have a healthier diet, including grain and hay, and are able to freely move.

"Free raised" veal calves stay with their mothers in the pasture. They get their mother's milk and grass. They are healthy because they get colostrum from the dams over a longer period of time which gives them a stronger immune system. They get the food they need for optimum health. They are slaughtered at 24 weeks. They account for about 20% of the veal market.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

But that's not the equivalent type of trip. You don't go to the Ritz Carlton in Tokyo and only get served natto and eel in their restaurant. I feel like if you're booking a charter for this show and you take a look at menus at the Four Seasons, the Ritz, or even a Hilton and none of that appeals to you, just straight come out and say that. Don't fill out a preference sheet and act like you're willing to eat certain foods when you're not. If scallops in a beurre blanc isn't your thing, tell the chef. It only serves to frustrate everyone when the chef slaves away making you something fancy and you want a quesadilla.

No joke.  Some of the best Mac and cheese I have ever had (and I’m Southern) was at the Four Seasons in Doha, Qatar. 

I eat like a four year old.  A yacht would be wasted on me. 

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

No joke.  Some of the best Mac and cheese I have ever had (and I’m Southern) was at the Four Seasons in Doha, Qatar. 

Me,too.  We vacation on St Croix part of the year where some of the main restaurants are getting to be pretty well known for their chefs and food.  My friends love the adventurous meals-- the weirder the better (or at least the food's weird in my mind!)  Just give me a good steak, baked potato and salad and I'm good.  I don't look at their food and gag or anything like that, I mean I like that they're enjoying it, and they know I laughingly admit I don't have a sophisticated pallet.  The food on a luxury yacht would be wasted on me,too.  Sadly.

• Love 9

I guess I sort of have two points: 1. I can't even conceive of paying that much for a trip and not being a little adventurous about the food, but I'm into food and 2. If a guest has simpler tastes they should just come out and say it. It just aggravates everyone when they don't; plus it's their money. We kind of made fun of Adam for not being all that creative with the twice baked potatoes, but you've got to appreciate guests who are secure enough to say one of the meals has to be steak with a twice baked potato. Sure the chef might want to stretch himself a little more, but he'll appreciate it more than the guest who said she loves sushi so he's scouring everywhere trying to find uni and tobiko, but it actually turns out that she only likes california rolls.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Actually, she pretty much admitted immediately that Kate was kind of collateral damage to her blow up about Chandler accusing her of blowing up. She said she regretted pissing Kate off. Too little, too late with Kate, though. All of those guys, even Ross, were jerks about and to her. I don't understand how she ends up sleeping with Ashton, because he is also being a condescending mansplaining misogynist. I think Rhylee was much calmer under pressure during the entire Tender ride which Ross 'called' totally wrongly and then left the wheel without communicating with her. The old 'calm down' gambit usually guarantees a blow up from someone being gaslit and it's one of the most frustrating and demeaning and hateful things these men pull. She's a loudmouth, she's not going to be shut down or shut up and she's frustrated as heck because she knows she can do this, she just wants to understand the job so she CAN do it and be useful. And who is the one throwing the life vest to the nong who went overboard? Rhylee's crime is being mouthy in a hostile work environment.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, stcroix said:
6 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

Me,too.  We vacation on St Croix part of the year where some of the main restaurants are getting to be pretty well known for their chefs and food.  My friends love the adventurous meals-- the weirder the better (or at least the food's weird in my mind!)  Just give me a good steak, baked potato and salad and I'm good.  I don't look at their food and gag or anything like that, I mean I like that they're enjoying it, and they know I laughingly admit I don't have a sophisticated pallet.  The food on a luxury yacht would be wasted on me,too.  Sadly.

Well then why not have on your preference sheet that you want a breakfast buffet of your favourite pancakes, waffles and huevos ranchos or whatever, plus pasta soup salad sliders, just piles and piles of different 'comfort foods'. And a chocolate fountain with raspberries. I love amazing food, but sometimes, when you want a really great time, it's nice to just go with what you love no matter what that is. It doesn't surprise me at all to hear the Qatar had the best mac and cheese. These countries understand their guests. I was blown away at the Burj Al Arab and how they cater to so many cultures extensively with their room service menu. So many breakfast options, so little time (and not enough money)

• Love 6
8 hours ago, stcroix said:

The food on a luxury yacht would be wasted on me,too.  Sadly.

And those tiny portions! Where's the food?

I also wonder what the actual cost of one of those (not for TV) trips is, especially given that you got to come up with $15000- $20000 or more at the end for a tip.   And do the unseen engineer-type members of the crew share in the tips?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Skycatcher said:

And those tiny portions! Where's the food?

I also wonder what the actual cost of one of those (not for TV) trips is, especially given that you got to come up with $15000- $20000 or more at the end for a tip.   And do the unseen engineer-type members of the crew share in the tips?

I suspect the tip meeting is for show.  They get tips but it's not a crew meeting like it's portrayed on both BD shows.

5 hours ago, queenjen said:

The old 'calm down' gambit usually guarantees a blow up from someone being gaslit and it's one of the most frustrating and demeaning and hateful things these men pull. 

A lot of people would take a breath and actually try to calm down, at least rational people.

In fact, there are probably more people who would calm down when pointed out that they're screaming than there are those who would double down and keep yelling.

Edited by scrb
  • Love 2

OTOH,  if you are already relatively calm, merely asking a question, and being told to calm down, that would be just a tad annoying.  Especially if it happens over and over again. After about the fifth or sixth time my calmness would go from 0 to 60 in seconds.

IMO, both sides are at fault here, but  these two guys are proving to be real douches.

• Love 17

The way I see it, if the same behavior/questions were asked by Ashton, the reaction from both Chandler & Ross would've been quite different.  Heck, Ross said almost the same thing to Chandler that Rhylee did (you're pissing off the whole deck crew for the bad behavior of one person) and Chandler didn't yell and tell him to STFU.

Rhylee is annoying and has a rather large chip on shoulder but she isn't 100% to blame.  Should she leave, I expect issues will remain. I've seen little/no leadership skills from Chandler.  He & Kate are going to butt heads soon, and we all know how that will go.

• Love 15

Chandler continues to bother me. His dickish response to Caroline’s perfectly reasonable request to take out the trash tells me everything I need to know about him. Namely, that he sucks. Rylee is annoying, but the way the men treat her is even more annoying. There does appear to be some mysogny in the way they react to anything she does. Nothing is okay. God forbid she ask questions on how to do her job, and if she does, she gets told to “calm down”. I also agree with the above poster who pointed out that she’s consistently referred to as a “female deckhand”. She’s just a deckhand, dicks. Of course, Rhylee didn’t help matters by basically walking around naked their first night out.

I continue to be concerned about Caroline. I think this show wasn’t a great choice for her. It’s not only the pressure of having to live with your co-workers 24/7. It’s also the added pressure of knowing you are continuously being filmed. Plus, with her mother having dementia, I would think she would want to be reasonably close to home. That was clearly a panic attack that she had with Josiah and Kate. I hope she goes home and gets herself into a healthier environment.

The guests were ridiculous with their overreaction to the veal. Listing your food preference tells the chef what you like; it isn’t a demand for exclusively that food unless you say so. Of, course Adrian continues to stun with his talent. I’m glad he showed the guests they can take some risks and it will be okay. Speaking of Adrian, color me completely surprised that our hippie unicorn is in an “open” relationship. He’s completely the type.

• Love 8

Chandler is poorly suited for this position. He changes his command philosophy at the drop of a hat. He's not Rhylee's boss unless it suits him. Then it's all "Respect me NOW!!"

Hard to respect him when he changes like the wind. And he doesn't understand how to train a newbie on the ship. She is supposed to ask questions and he's supposed to teach and train her. If she's still asking questions four charters in, then there is room to complain. But you don't complain to your crew, you complain to Kate and/or Adrian, your peers! Sheesh!! And she did NOT fly off the handle in the van. She failed to shut up (she was drunk and being stupid but he tore down the walls of chain of command so ... maybe share some blame Chandler?)  He is the one who overreacted with his 6:00 am duty call. Just my opinion of course but he's steering me to Team Rhylee whether I want to be here or not!

He doesn't understand command or priorities nor working on a team. Take the luggage down, answer Caroline politely, take out the trash, and look Rhylee in the eye. And give her a damn pat on the back once in a while! Throw the dog a bone and make her know she's a part of the team. If he can't figure out how to bring her into the team (train her, stop gossiping about her, give her postive feedback, etc.) then he doesn't deserve to be in a leadership position.

Rhylee has some problems, sure, but they are fairly minor IMO. She over talks when she should just let something drop. And a little humor wouldn't hurt either. I'm not holding her drunken behavior against her (yet) just as I don't hold it against Ashton when everyone wanted to leave and he held up the group. I figure they'll learn as the season progresses. When Kate rationally pointed out she was the only one talking in a raised voice, Rhylee dropped it. As I recall anyway. She "heard" what Kate was saying and Chandler would do well to emulate Kate's leadership.

I think Ross showed poor command on the little boat letting the guests swim (some without life jackets) and left the helm acting as if he was beginning to panic. Not cool.

Ashton telling Rhylee to calm down or whatever he said was a stupid thing to say as she was calm, she was trying to confirm what she was supposed to do. When she was asked, she tried to explain her confusion and she was interrupted. For me, if you ask me a question I expect you want an answer but she didn't let it go when it was clear no one wanted to hear why she didn't understand. I can see a few ways she could have conducted herself better in that situation but telling a calm woman to calm down is a classic bullpoop move that could very well inflame her, and then she'll lose her cool, justifying the "calm down" comment. It's almost like they were poking the bear trying to get a rise out of her. She needs an ally on that boat and if I were her, I'd try to establish one on her team.

And finally, I hope I'm spelling her name correctly. I'm too lazy to confirm and correct so grant me a pass if I'm all wrong please.

• Love 17
On 10/18/2018 at 9:40 PM, Neurochick said:

Rhylee is probably looking to get on a show like Deadliest Catch or something like that.  That see through dress was a clear “Look at MEEEEEE” moment.  I don’t like her at all.  I also don’t like any of the deck crew.

I'm with you. I don't like any of them. Is it enough to make me stop watching? Nah! It's a trainwreck, and I don't want to look away. Also, it's fun to see Captain Lee get real every week. I'm closer to his age, so I dig it.

• Love 4
On 10/17/2018 at 10:59 AM, laprin said:

I have never believed that my boss had to earn my respect. Instead, it is a given because it comes with the job that they pay me to do.  

Just re-read the post and had one more comment. In my world a boss starts out with full respect, both him/her and the position.  From that point there have been those supervisors who have worked their way backwards by being pricks until, while I try to respect the position, I truly dislike the person.

1 hour ago, jennylauren123 said:

It's a trainwreck, and I don't want to look away. Also, it's fun to see Captain Lee get real every week. I'm closer to his age, so I dig it.

Love my trainwrecks!

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 7

Honestly, why do they always have such dicks for Bosun’s?  This guy is lazy, needs to be told how to do even the most basic things ( the clients luggage is a essential; for most of them having their clothes available is the most important thing), and doesn’t have the slightest idea how to manage others.

• Love 6
On 10/17/2018 at 8:13 AM, jmcd44 said:

YES. She is annoying with her "I'm a boat captain" (and other ways) but the deck crew needs to simmer.  Every time Ross referred to as a "female" deckhand/worker, etc., I saw red. Not to mention, Ryhlee said the guests shouldn't swim-Ross is the one who almost let the guests wash away into the rocks prior to putting the boat in danger.  And Ashton telling her to calm down?  Infuriating-she was barely talking.  Although, thanks to his Swayze eyes, he gets a little pass from me.  I know that is pathetic, but I can't help it.

Also-Chandler ignoring the request to move the luggage?  Kate will murder you Chandler.  And I will enjoy it.

I would agree with this, except I thought her attitude with Kate sucked too.

• Love 5

I agree that both Chandler and Rhylee made mistakes but at least Chandler admitted it and apologized to Rhylee.  Because of that I'm leaning towards being on Team Chandler.   If I was Rhylee's boss I would have fired her when she said "excuse me for talking while you're f***ing interrupting" to Chandler in the crew mess.

• Love 2

I'm enjoying Adrian's cooking more than anything thus far (love the new stew, though!).  

I rarely rewatch shows but I've done so a time or two to better catch/enjoy Adrian's cooking.  Kate and Captain Lee were on WWHL.  Andy asked them who they thought the better chef was - Ben or Adrian.  Kate was team Adrian.  The Captain hemmed and hawed but eventually said Adrian, too.

• Love 4

I agree, Ben became quited the diva, and his food was very good, but Adrian appears to be on another level again. Breakfast isn't his 'slack off' meal, he's really hitting it hard with lobster quiche and those eggs benedict in the little bread bowls. I've seen many par cooked pastries slammed into ovens and served with fruit and bacon and eggs on these charters. Not with Adrian though. 

Imagine, for a moment if you will, if it was RHYLEE and not ASHTON refusing to return from the club and telling her superiors to 'Fuck Off' (as Ashton did at one stage when asked to leave by Chandler and Ross). Imagine that. No one questioned Ashton about his dickishness. If Rhylee had used those words, and been the source of the holdups, Chandler would have blown a gasket immediately with Ross and Ashton cheering him on. Major double standard.

• Love 16
On 10/17/2018 at 10:46 PM, jumper sage said:

Thank you, I find her obnoxious, Caroline too.  They both need to shape up or ship out.  I have a real aversion to women instinctively calling men dicks and pricks, especially when they are in a subordinate position.  Says a lot about how they generalize men imo.  And I'm a woman!

• Love 1
On 10/17/2018 at 9:46 PM, jumper sage said:

I did catch her say that her "real job" is being a captain.  That tells me she is there for the tv exposure. 

Maybe Rhylee is there for exposure, but both shows have had a decent number of captains in the crew. Some have bragged about it and others have been relatively quiet about it. Aleks Taldykin, Bryan Kattenburg, and Chandler are actually yacht captains. Aleks and Bryan talked about it a fair amount early in their respective seasons, Aleks especially. Eddie Lucas was a tugboat captain before being on the show. Colin Macy-O'Toole is a ferry captain; he captains the Fire Island Ferry. Rhylee is a charter fishing boat captain.

• Love 2