Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nodorothyparker

S09.E02: The Bridge

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I know this has been brought up countless times, but the way the rolling logs turned all those zombie heads to mush demonstrates how deteriorated they are at this point - the consistency of their skulls is less firm than Jell-O now. That being the case how on earth could they even have the strength to bite anyone? Hell some of their jaws are just hanging by a thread. I guess there isn't much point to debating zombie-logic but really, they shouldn't even be a threat at this point so the chaos they called seemed unrealistic. An approaching hoard shouldn't be met with much more than a shrug.

It ought to be to the point where the protagonists could just sneeze on the walkers and the walkers would fall apart.

I was kind of hoping that Rick and his crew would use walkers much like the Flintstones used dinosaurs for task purposes.

They would really only need to remove the walker's teeth much like Yukon Cornelius removed Bumble the Abominable Snowman's teeth in "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" (1964).

30 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'd say inside jokes like that are beneath them but at this point nothing seems to be beneath this show. It's still dumb, though, IMO.

It certainly does make me wonder who the target audience is for TWD.  M*A*S*H ran from 1972-1983.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

That would seem to make much more sense than to try to build a society out of Carl's vision of what the future should be.

Agree. Yeah, let's force an entire communtity to function according to the last words of a hormonal teenager with a 4th grade education who blows hot and cold as he dons the well-worn "pacifist hat" for his "All you need is love... all life is sacred... smile on your brother" and all that other nonsense that periodically infects different people until it's time for them to start killin' again.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I still don't understand why The Hilltop seems to have ALL the food and the brunt of responsibility and power. Weren't Alexandria and The Kingdom growing their own food? Do they have smaller fields or something? It doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Alexandria never really got around to growing much of their own.  They talked about it but never really did much beyond Maggie tying up a few tomato plants while she still lived there. That's why Rick hung out the "will murder for hire or canned goods" sign in the first place.  Then of course they got all caught up in warring with the Saviors, who bombed and then burned the place.  They appear to have rebuilt a fair bit since then and Ezekiel mentioned this episode that Alexandria is trading bullets, so I guess that's where all the bullet making operations moved.  (Why they haven't made the Sanctuary a dedicated industrial colony to fairly trade for food if they're not going to abandon it for some place more farmable is a whole other debate.)  We know the Kingdom was actually doing reasonably well for itself before they let themselves get dragged into the war.  Then in quick succession last season, much of their fighting force was gunned down and the Saviors burned a lot of it too.  Ezekiel has repeatedly mentioned needing to be back there for the ongoing rebuilding effort.  Farming without gas powered modern machinery is fairly labor intensive and takes some time to become successful, so while they may be getting there it seems we're to think they're not really there yet.  We've been told very little about the specifics of Oceanside's situation except that they're trading fish.

In contrast, Hilltop was introduced as a successful farming outfit and they've apparently improved quite a lot on that under the leadership of Maggie, the super farmer of the ZA.  While there was some fighting there, it survived mostly intact.  That means they don't have to devote a ton of manpower to rebuilding and can focus on producing even more food.  That makes all the other communities heavily dependent on the Hilltop food stores, which gives them a fair amount of bargaining power if Maggie chooses to wield it.

 

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yeah, let's force an entire community to function according to the last words of a hormonal teenager with a 4th grade education who blows hot and cold as he dons the well-worn "pacifist hat"

This seriously made me laugh.  Because Carl's education did stop somewhere around long division.  Yet they're treating his deathbed letters as if they were wisdom carved on stone tablets.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Because Carl's education did stop somewhere around long division.

So annoying. We saw the transcript of Coral's letter, all in perfect English. College students are now semi-illiterate. Had we seen the actual letter written by a teenager whose education ended when he was ten, it would look more like this:

"i wanted too kill negan I wish i did maybe it would of been done i dont think its done know. U went out their again but i dont think they surendered i dont think they will surrendur surrender there are workers in their dad There just regular ppl. old ppl young ppl familie’s. U dont want them to die dad. were so close to starting everything over and we have freinds now its that bigger world jesus talked about the kingdom the hilltop. theirs got to be more places more ppl out their. a chance for everything too change and keep chaging. everyone giveing everyone the oppurtun opportunitie to have a live."

  • Like 18
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

So annoying. We saw the transcript of Coral's letter, all in perfect English. College students are now semi-illiterate. Had we seen the actual letter written by a teenager whose education ended when he was ten, it would look more like this:

"i wanted too kill negan I wish i did maybe it would of been done i dont think its done know. U went out their again but i dont think they surendered i dont think they will surrendur surrender there are workers in their dad There just regular ppl. old ppl young ppl familie’s. U dont want them to die dad. were so close to starting everything over and we have freinds now its that bigger world jesus talked about the kingdom the hilltop. theirs got to be more places more ppl out their. a chance for everything too change and keep chaging. everyone giveing everyone the oppurtun opportunitie to have a live."

Ahahahaahahaah!!!! You win!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

"i wanted too kill negan I wish i did maybe it would of been done i dont think its done know. U went out their again but i dont think they surendered i dont think they will surrendur surrender there are workers in their dad There just regular ppl. old ppl young ppl familie’s. U dont want them to die dad. were so close to starting everything over and we have freinds now its that bigger world jesus talked about the kingdom the hilltop. theirs got to be more places more ppl out their. a chance for everything too change and keep chaging. everyone giveing everyone the oppurtun opportunitie to have a live."

How did you get a hold of my third-grader's last writing assignment?  Because those are many of the same things she was marked down for.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

 

I love Carol and Ezekiel together...and they look so goddamned happy that I can smell some catastrophic event right around the corner.

 

As long as Ezekiel doesn't come out of a barn looking like this.

 

image.png.0c618e79f1de3de24ac225c6e9aaf1c5.png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

So annoying. We saw the transcript of Coral's letter, all in perfect English. College students are now semi-illiterate. Had we seen the actual letter written by a teenager whose education ended when he was ten, it would look more like this:

"i wanted too kill negan I wish i did maybe it would of been done i dont think its done know. U went out their again but i dont think they surendered i dont think they will surrendur surrender there are workers in their dad There just regular ppl. old ppl young ppl familie’s. U dont want them to die dad. were so close to starting everything over and we have freinds now its that bigger world jesus talked about the kingdom the hilltop. theirs got to be more places more ppl out their. a chance for everything too change and keep chaging. everyone giveing everyone the oppurtun opportunitie to have a live."

That is hilarious.
Then Rick and Michonne should have said that obviously the fever was making him delusional because he would want them to kill Negan and all the bad guys to avenge Glenn, and so the bigger friend Jesus world could be safe.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

If Brett Butler showed up as Darlene Snell, I'm not sure if I would even notice. That's all I could think about, stay away from Mrs. Snell!

I can't believe Rick and Michonne have become complete pacifists. I wanted to slap Michonne when she had the gall to defend Gregory. That guy should have been shot the first time he tried to backstab them. 

Was I the only one thinking about Woody Harrelson in Kingpin when the guy let go of the rope? 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, FishyJoe said:

I wanted to slap Michonne when she had the gall to defend Gregory.

She's willing to do that with people who didn't personally harm her. Gregory didn't attack HER with a knife, just as Negan didn't bash in HER man's head in front of her, so she can be judgemental about Maggie and back up her boyfriend by protecting Negan and defending Greg.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Life in Alexandria must be pretty much on easy street for Rick, Shane’s daughter and the replacement lay judging by all the Richonne family scenes. Compare to where Rick sent  his PTSD brother, Daryl right back to the Sanctuary.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/14/2018 at 10:14 PM, SimoneS said:

Poor Aaron. At least, he is still alive. I don't think that Saddiq could have done much better. The arm was crushed. 

 

I guess I'm a hopeless optimist. Since Aaron wasn't bitten, I was sure they could have saved the the cutoff half-arm. Sure, it wouldn't have been so functional but handy to have all the same.

12 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

My husband said the same thing about cleaning up the log mess.  We just watched how hard it is for this crew to stack those.  Now they're going to have to restack them and clean the walker bits off them as they plane them down to use on the bridge.

I'm liking a lot of what they're doing so far this season, even if we do have to hand wave away the logic of putting a guy who's already been causing trouble to the point of a fistfight on the rather critical job of diverting the herd.  We're apparently supposed to think Rick decided to put some distance between Justin and Daryl, which isn't a terrible idea, but maybe don't give him anything really important to do if you're already worried he's untrustworthy? 

I'm one of the ones who enjoyed Gregory right up until the end because I found him consistently entertaining for what he was, but Maggie's not wrong that he had chance after chance and chose poorly.  And while I do think it matters more than they credited him for that he built and led Hilltop when no one else wanted the job and managed to make it successful enough that they were the one of the few communities we met sufficiently feeding themselves even with everyone else lining up to take their cut before being muscled out, the final plotting with drunks to kill Maggie and her kid and then trying to swipe at her himself is not a good look.  And because it's a small community where everyone would have almost immediately known about it, it would have made her look weak to continue to let him loiter about the place after that.  Should she have handled it differently?  Maybe.  But from her perspective every time these people haven't dealt a decisive final blow, it's come back to bite them in the ass horribly.  See, also the Governor with his tank rolling up to behead her father or the Termites snatching and eating Bob.  That's part of where the disquiet over this story of letting every last Savior and Negan too live comes from.  It never ends well.

Please, show, can you just let Carol have this respite of happiness with her new family?  It looks wonderful on her, and as much of a ride or die Carol girl as I might be, I'd really rather not have to watch her prolonged going to pieces again over losing another family.

I was thinking that too, all that work and now it has to be redone. With a much smaller workforce now that Saviours are mysteriously disappearing.

Yes, completely support Maggie in her Gregory execution. It is a little trickier to know what to do with Evan, but since they need him, may as well put him on probation and get him back to blacksmithing. Might be advisable to take on a couple of apprentices too, just in case it doesn't work out and she has to off him as well. I am actually finding Maggie far less annoying than she normally is, and she looks much better too, with the grown out hair.

Oh Carol and Ezekiel. I would love her to have this moment of happiness that lasts until the end, but if they make it to the conclusion of the full season I'll be shocked. Especially since Khary went public with his support for Lauren Cohen getting a substantial raise. I figured that was a death bite right there.

10 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I bet we won't be seeing much of Aaron from now on. The arm removal thing is apparently a pain in the ass and expensive to do, so I guess he'll be more of a stay-at-home Mr.Mom.

Am I the only one who finds Tara so NOT cutesy or charming, with her orange shades and her silly handles while using the  walkie-talkie? She acts like a teenager.

Ricky, sitting there being all smart-ass with Negan like some Mean Girl, is going to get very old, very fast. I'm already sick of it.

I miss Aaron's half arm already. I do think there are other ways to get around it though, just toss some blankets over his arm, move objects in front of it, like they do with real life pregnancies. I am sure they can find many ways to save the FX costs without killing him off. 

Yes, Tara is never cute or charming. Long past her overdue date. Every time I see her, I think the tentacles of scientology reach far. Although she is supposedly the friend of the casting director, so we have another reason she is likely to stick around. Masterston seems like she can barely be bothered to put in much of an effort at the best of times, so these very limited cameos suit me best.

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

It ought to be to the point where the protagonists could just sneeze on the walkers and the walkers would fall apart.

I was kind of hoping that Rick and his crew would use walkers much like the Flintstones used dinosaurs for task purposes.

They would really only need to remove the walker's teeth much like Yukon Cornelius removed Bumble the Abominable Snowman's teeth in "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" (1964).

It certainly does make me wonder who the target audience is for TWD.  M*A*S*H ran from 1972-1983.

 

5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Agree. Yeah, let's force an entire communtity to function according to the last words of a hormonal teenager with a 4th grade education who blows hot and cold as he dons the well-worn "pacifist hat" for his "All you need is love... all life is sacred... smile on your brother" and all that other nonsense that periodically infects different people until it's time for them to start killin' again.

 

Ha ha, I would love to see The Walking Dead evolve into the Flintstones. They could be made to plow the fields with cleverly placed bait just in front of them. Removing the teeth makes me think of the new season of Doctor Who....those teeth would be handy to make needles and all sorts of implements. I learned that by watching Alone.

3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

So annoying. We saw the transcript of Coral's letter, all in perfect English. College students are now semi-illiterate. Had we seen the actual letter written by a teenager whose education ended when he was ten, it would look more like this:

"i wanted too kill negan I wish i did maybe it would of been done i dont think its done know. U went out their again but i dont think they surendered i dont think they will surrendur surrender there are workers in their dad There just regular ppl. old ppl young ppl familie’s. U dont want them to die dad. were so close to starting everything over and we have freinds now its that bigger world jesus talked about the kingdom the hilltop. theirs got to be more places more ppl out their. a chance for everything too change and keep chaging. everyone giveing everyone the oppurtun opportunitie to have a live."

So true. As noted by other posters, teens are not the best mentors. I remember what it is like to have sons with teenager brains. They think they know everything but...they don't.

52 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

She's willing to do that with people who didn't personally harm her. Gregory didn't attack HER with a knife, just as Negan didn't bash in HER man's head in front of her, so she can be judgemental about Maggie and back up her boyfriend by protecting Negan and defending Greg.

Yeah, I was picturing her with The Governor and how she didn't back down.  She really is too good for this show.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, PrePreBabylonia said:

Yes, completely support Maggie in her Gregory execution. It is a little trickier to know what to do with Evan, but since they need him, may as well put him on probation and get him back to blacksmithing. Might be advisable to take on a couple of apprentices too, just in case it doesn't work out and she has to off him as well. I am actually finding Maggie far less annoying than she normally is, and she looks much better too, with the grown out hair.

An apprentice program or at least intensive cross-training oughta be ZA 101. I've often wondered why we don't see that but I guess it's too logical/gets in the way of plot points. Every job I've ever had, I figured it was my job to train someone to take my job. (Whenever it was legal/permissible, of course.) I've never thought it was good to hoard knowledge.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, suomi said:

An apprentice program or at least intensive cross-training oughta be ZA 101. I've often wondered why we don't see that but I guess it's too logical/gets in the way of plot points. Every job I've ever had, I figured it was my job to train someone to take my job. (Whenever it was legal/permissible, of course.) I've never thought it was good to hoard knowledge.

They definitely need a medical school, at the very least. Sexy Almost Dr. That Inadvertently Killed Carl should have been teaching three or four potentials, not just Enid. At the rate we're going, Enid will be teaching the other students awfully soon, since Sexy Almost Dr. was getting schooled just last year (18 months ago showtime).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

She's willing to do that with people who didn't personally harm her. Gregory didn't attack HER with a knife, just as Negan didn't bash in HER man's head in front of her, so she can be judgemental about Maggie and back up her boyfriend by protecting Negan and defending Greg.

That's worse. People who get other people to do their dirty work are the most dangerous and evil. Think about the worst people in history. They usually didn't kill people with their own hands, they got other people to do it for them. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, PrePreBabylonia said:

I guess I'm a hopeless optimist. Since Aaron wasn't bitten, I was sure they could have saved the the cutoff half-arm. Sure, it wouldn't have been so functional but handy to have all the same.

Nah, it was a crushed open wound. They would not be able to keep it clean and without proper blood flow, the limb was going to die anyway.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Awww. I was thinking that Enid was just over enthusiastic about learning a new skill.....bone cutting! I thought Rick was going to say to her....What the hell are you doing! All you had to do was clean and wrap it.....guess I just don't know enough about medicine. And amputations.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, peach said:

But was Susan G Komen a ruthless killer before that?  lol  I see your point, of course.  Just not into it.

Hahahahaaa.. 

I'm just glad to have post death Laurie season 4 Rick Grimes back. Someome who wants to build something for the people he has left. I'm sad for him that Carl don't get to see how he's trying to change. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Macbeth said:

The amount of $$ needed to CGI Aaron's missing arm may mean that Aaron will be dying sooner rather than later.  omg the amount of suckitude this show has is epic.

My money is on a fake ‘comedy arm’ like Merles and will end up hanging Down by his knee, but what attachment are they going to stick on the end?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I'm really liking this season with its focus on practical problems rather than cartoon villains.  Conflicts will arise because of the nature of people, those who want to contribute and those who don't, leaders with different visions, etc.  It's much more interesting than endless foul mouthed bullies who kill for pleasure.

Aaron losing his arm?  Ick.

The praise of St Rick the Redeemer was piling up a little thick.  I guess the writers want us to forget all the bonehead ideas he had.

22 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The dude is too good of an actor.  This series could use more like him.  I still miss Black Sails.

Indeed.  McGowan looked like he walked right off the Black Sails set onto this one.  No double he'll be around for a while to cause trouble.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I still don't understand why The Hilltop seems to have ALL the food and the brunt of responsibility and power. Weren't Alexandria and The Kingdom growing their own food? Do they have smaller fields or something? It doesn't really make a lot of sense.

The Hilltop does not have all the food. In the montage at the beginning of the season premiere, we were shown a variety of vegetables being grown at Alexandria. However, Rick said that the Hilltop is doing better in food production than the other communities, specifically Sanctuary. Considering that Hilltop is actually a plantation house on farmland that makes sense. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

The Hilltop does not have all the food. In the montage at the beginning of the season premiere, we were shown a variety of vegetables being grown at Alexandria. However, Rick said that the Hilltop is doing better in food production than the other communities, specifically Sanctuary. Considering that Hilltop is actually a plantation house on farmland that makes sense. 

I am surprised that there are that many people still at Sanctuary.  I thought most of the workers there were pretty much held against their will.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am surprised that there are that many people still at Sanctuary.  I thought most of the workers there were pretty much held against their will.

I love what the show is attempting to do so far this season, but it has not done a good job being nuanced in the adaption of the comic when it comes to consequences to Negan and the saviors. They could have show the workers and the women sexually exploited by Negan breaking off to form their own community and demanding revenge on Negan and his lieutenants who "supposedly" enslaved them and  killed their friends and relatives. Kirkman's man crush on Negan continues to harm the show.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Indeed.  McGowan looked like he walked right off the Black Sails set onto this one.  No double he'll be around for a while to cause trouble.

I wouldn't mind seeing Toby Stephens along with a few others from "Black Sails" showing up on TWD.

I think I know who Justin met with.  I hope I am wrong, because I just don't think it would make much sense.  The problem is that Toby Justin is a new character and we have only seen him interact with a few people.  Since we didn't see who Toby Justin was talking to, that person must be an individual we have seen before.

Edited by icemiser69 · Reason: My gosh my spelling is horrible today.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/15/2018 at 10:06 AM, nodorothyparker said:

I'm one who enjoyed Gregory right up until the end because I found him consistently entertaining for what he was, but Maggie's not wrong that he had chance after chance and chose poorly.  And while I do think it matters more than they credited him for that he built and led Hilltop when no one else wanted the job and managed to make it successful enough that they were the one of the few communities we met sufficiently feeding themselves even with everyone else lining up to take their cut before being muscled out, the final plotting with drunks to kill Maggie and her kid and then trying to swipe at her himself is not a good look.  And because it's a small community where everyone would have almost immediately known about it, it would have made her look weak to continue to let him loiter about the place after that.  Should she have handled it differently?  Maybe.  But from her perspective every time these people haven't dealt a decisive final blow, it's come back to bite them in the ass horribly. 

I just wanted to see Gregory stick around and have some sort of election between him and Maggie.   It would have been gold just to see him stuff the ballot box with walker votes.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed this episode. It's nice each episode is not just a slash or bulletfest, we're getting social interactions.  Rick is definitely wearing rose colored glasses, I mean I get having a positive attitude but it seems a bit happythought.

Ok, I'm a guy. Loved the derriere shot of Maggie and Michonne. Shame on you producers for exploiting that shot for us. 

Why is Negan being kept alive, somebody remind me..? Gregory got HUNG, and Negan did far way worse than Gregory.

Uhoh, copter....hmmm.

Final scene, do we have a new group to contend with?

Edited by Colorado David
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I'm really liking this season with its focus on practical problems rather than cartoon villains.

So far. We still have Negan down in the basement speechifying and until they write this character off I fear the show is doomed. 

Quote

Kirkman's man crush on Negan continues to harm the show.

Agreed. This is a villain that should have been dispensed with two seasons ago, but I fear the show is convinced they need Jeffrey Dean Morgan now more than ever. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Ok, I'm a guy. Loved the derriere shot of Maggie and Michonne. Shame on you producers for exploiting that shot for us. 

Lol, I was thinking Daaaaaaammm that was a good shot, and yes, producers don’t ever, ever, ever, ever do something like that again! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

It is nice seeing Carol happy but I fear it wont last. I will be stunned if it does.  

Nice seeing the original cat members Rick, Carol, and Daryl in a scene together for a few minutes anyway.  

Still a lot of characters I don't care about. It is good they are trying to build and start over though. 

The new people stalking in the wood swill be the new enemy they have to fight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

It is nice seeing Carol happy but I fear it wont last. I will be stunned if it does.  

Well new show runner Ms Kang has surprised a few of us up to now, so don’t give up hope just yet, as they used to say in that great kids show Stingray, “anything can happen in the next half hour” Lol

Edited by OoohMaggie

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Agreed. This is a villain that should have been dispensed with two seasons ago, but I fear the show is convinced they need Jeffrey Dean Morgan now more than ever. 

I think he's Kirkman's self-insert - the way he sees himself in his torture-porno-studman fantasies. Shit, I just disgusted myself!

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Since we didn't see who Toby Justin was talking to, that person must be an individual we have seen before.

Please, let it not be Dwight.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I will say that this show has become more watchable this season than it has been in a while, but it has developed a fundamental problem that is hard for me to look past, and it's sadly the walkers. Now this is still at its core a zombie horror show so you must have them in every episode, but at this point, the characters have been at it for so long that really the walkers have been figured out and everyone should know how to deal with them. As a result, it has become a recurring theme that all plans must fail and every big walker set piece is built on a foundation of utter incompetence.

It was bad last week when they decided to cart a heavy piece of equipment over a death pit of walkers instead of, say, sweeping the basement first so that in the inevitable case of someone getting dangled down there, no walker would be left standing to try to have a nibble. Or really any other precautionary  measure that any reasonable person could have figured out many of easily. This week, apparently the plan was to first turn the herd towards the bridge, before turning it away again with a second siren. The show never really bothered to explain why this made geographical sense in the first place (like, why not turn the herd away from the bridge with the first siren?) but even if we give the characters the benefit of the doubt on this, wouldn't you want to check if the second siren is ready to go before you direct death towards all your people?

The show wants us to hate long-haired savior dude for either maliciously or unwittingly causing Aaron to lose an arm, but really I was waiting for the scene where Daryl punches Tara in the face for failing to take basic safety measures and clearly being the one ultimately responsible for things going south. Though in fairness to her, in what world does it make sense to leave a single person responsible for overseeing and coordinating such an incredibly risky, life-and-death operation while everyone else just goes about their business willy-nilly. These people have such an unreasonable "what could go wrong?" attitude that no one working on the bridge was even aware that 1 siren = walkers coming our way, 2 sirens = walkers not coming our way.

Edited by CrashTextDummie
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, CrashTextDummie said:

but it has developed a fundamental problem that is hard for me to look past, and it's sadly the walkers.

What does a Zombie show do when the Zombies aren’t, or shouldn’t be, scary or dangerous anymore?  They have to create threat and danger elsewhere. On the one hand we’ve got Negan, on the other we’ve got the breaking glass beneath the wagon. We all know that you could put 100 wagons on top of the real floor and it wouldn’t break, yet they have to create moments of tension and threat so shouldn’t we cut them some slack in that regard?

The big complaint about these ‘dangerous situations’ is that they’re usually so contrived and an insult to our intelligence, take Ken’s death the previous week, I think pretty much everyone thought that whole scene was ridiculous and there is no way I’m cutting them any slack for producing rubbish like that.

youre quite right about the herd / log scene on Sunday, Daryl only notices a herd is coming when it’s fifty feet away from him? As you say, most of these situations are easily avoided using the skills a normal person would have after surviving for three years. Writing a scene where the Walkers could genuinely, believably pose a grave threat to our people is not an easy thing to do, as we’ve seen time and time again, so I’m afraid that we’ll have to put up with more silly scenes or rely totally upon ‘bad guys’ for our danger. Maybe it’s a case of once you start laughing at the Zombies instead of fearing them, it’s time to wind things up and start remembering what used to be.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am surprised that there are that many people still at Sanctuary.  I thought most of the workers there were pretty much held against their will.

Well I would have been the first one out of the door heading to Alex, staying in that gloomy dump with your former torturers makes sooooo much sense!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, CrashTextDummie said:

Or really any other precautionary  measure that any reasonable person could have figured out many of easily.

Really, you'd think if they're out in the open doing potentionally dangerous job, like felling and loading all those trees, they'd at least have a sentry posted high enough to see any walkers or other threats. They did that in season 2, ffs!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Really, you'd think if they're out in the open doing potentionally dangerous job, like felling and loading all those trees, they'd at least have a sentry posted high enough to see any walkers or other threats. They did that in season 2, ffs!

If you’re operating in Bandit country, you have the workforce, and you have the protection force, Abraham would have been working his SOPs

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Really, you'd think if they're out in the open doing potentionally dangerous job, like felling and loading all those trees, they'd at least have a sentry posted high enough to see any walkers or other threats. They did that in season 2, ffs!

Isn't that what Tara and Charles Vane were (supposed to be) doing?  Watching for walkers and luring them away?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Please, let it not be Dwight.

I hope not. 

I don't exactly trust the dude (Alden?) that told Rick that saviors were disappearing.  Unless I missed something, we don't even know if the missing saviors are being killed or if they are plotting to do something.  I don't think TPTB would bring on the Justin (Zack McGowan) character and have him go toes up so quickly.

23 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

It is nice seeing Carol happy but I fear it wont last. I will be stunned if it does.  

I just don't want to see mopey Carol wandering through the wilderness again as she isolates herself from everyone due to more emotional trauma.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't exactly trust the dude (Alden?)

Oh no! Not poor Alden, he’s a good guy, c’mon there must be some left Lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/15/2018 at 9:23 PM, AngelaHunter said:

She's willing to do that with people who didn't personally harm her. Gregory didn't attack HER with a knife, just as Negan didn't bash in HER man's head in front of her, so she can be judgemental about Maggie and back up her boyfriend by protecting Negan and defending Greg.

It bothers me that Michonne compromises herself to back Rick up.  Michonne had no problem hunting the Governor down for what he did to Andrea.  The REAL Michonne would have cut Negan to pieces the first chance she got.  And she sure as shit would never have looked Maggie in the face and questioned why Maggie killed the man who tried to kill her and her baby.  The REAL Michonne would have patted Maggie on the back.  But this version of Michonne has to stand by her man.   Creating a set of laws that everyone lives by isn't a bad idea.  Michonne has wanted to build a decent society for a long time.  But Michonne is no pacifist and she would never let the man who tried to hurt Glenn's baby live.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I am surprised that there are that many people still at Sanctuary.  I thought most of the workers there were pretty much held against their will.

I can understand why nobody in Alexandria, the Kingdom, or Hilltop would want to take them in. Even if they were basically slave labor and would have left Negan were they able, they still benefited from what the Saviors stole from the others. They'd be eyed with too much suspicion. How is anyone to know who was really held against their will versus who was there willingly? 

I do think a lot of them would want to just set out on their own though, and I think there would be more conflict between those wanting to join Hilltop or some other community and those opposed to them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

Michonne had no problem hunting the Governor down for what he did to Andrea. 

She hated the Gov long before he did anything to Andrea other than have sex with her. My take was that she'd found out things that made her want to leave Woodbury and wanted Andrea to go with her, which Andrea wouldn't do because she preferred to stay somewhere that was safe, had food, electricity and real beds, and yeah, an attractive man who was interested in her. I'd feel the same way! Michonne refused to tell Andrea why she was so suspicious of the Governor, so Andrea naturally preferred to stay rather than go live in the woods with Michonne.

 

1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

It bothers me that Michonne compromises herself to back Rick up.

I have to wonder if M. would be so willing to protect Negan had it been Rick's head he'd bashed in. I don't think so, but Glenn and Abe's deaths didn't directly affect her, so she's willing to back up whatever her boyfriend says. It's pretty sad the way this has been written, making Michonne into yet another woman who will go along with anything in order to keep a guy. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I can understand why nobody in Alexandria, the Kingdom, or Hilltop would want to take them in. Even if they were basically slave labor and would have left Negan were they able, they still benefited from what the Saviors stole from the others. They'd be eyed with too much suspicion. How is anyone to know who was really held against their will versus who was there willingly?

I think they could have used all of this for conflict in the new season without keeping Negan alive.  In fact, it would be more interesting if he was dead, but some were still committed to the idea of We are Negan.  It's harder to fight an idea than a man.  Him being alive is what's indefensible in the plot, because it requires absolutely ruining legacy characters to do it.
 

1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

  The REAL Michonne would have patted Maggie on the back.  But this version of Michonne has to stand by her man. 

The REAL Michonne's REAL man would agree with her.  lol  It's not just making Michonne stand by her man, they body snatched him, too.  As I commented above, they could have easily meted out final justice to Negan, like they did with the Termites, and then moved forward with tensions growing because of the remaining Saviors.  That would be in the realm of in-show realism.  I wonder if they will ever see how this Negan blindspot wrecked the whole show.

Edited by peach
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

  As I commented above, they could have easily meted out final justice to Negan, like they did with the Termites, and then moved forward with tensions growing because of the remaining Saviors.  That would be in the realm of in-show realism.  I wonder if they will ever see how this Negan blindspot wrecked the whole show.

That's pretty much what I was thinking in terms of where they could have gone this season. The show just doesn't want to let Jeffrey Dean Morgan go, for whatever reason. And the season seems to be shaping up into an attempt at rebuilding civilization. The problem I'm having with it (among others) is that I don't really understand what sort of rules they're using in how these communities run. There was a clear group to follow for the first six seasons and now everyone is splintered, and I don't really follow the ins and outs of that, like how Rick has to negotiate with Maggie for Hilltop supplies. Or how it's Rick's decision on how Negan is punished. Seems like those two roles in particular should be reversed. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/15/2018 at 11:05 AM, iMonrey said:

I caught that too. WTF? Is there a new community called Toledo? Did I miss something?

It was an obvious shout-out to M*A*S*H, which had a sign like that and a main character (and actor) from Toledo.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:07 PM, icemiser69 said:

It ought to be to the point where the protagonists could just sneeze on the walkers and the walkers would fall apart.

Well, they do keep making more!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/17/2018 at 3:57 PM, OoohMaggie said:

Oh no! Not poor Alden, he’s a good guy, c’mon there must be some left Lol

I haven't read the comics and I don't read spoilers.  I just have to go with gut instinct on all of this stuff.

On 10/17/2018 at 4:06 PM, iMonrey said:

I can understand why nobody in Alexandria, the Kingdom, or Hilltop would want to take them in. Even if they were basically slave labor and would have left Negan were they able, they still benefited from what the Saviors stole from the others. They'd be eyed with too much suspicion. How is anyone to know who was really held against their will versus who was there willingly? 

Then I guess I really don't understand why Rick just didn't leave the Saviors to fend for themselves.   Those that want to leave the Sanctuary could exit stage right anytime they wanted to.  Those that stayed would be left on their own without weapons.

13 hours ago, wrlord said:

It was an obvious shout-out to M*A*S*H, which had a sign like that and a main character (and actor) from Toledo.

Jamie Farr (Klinger).  The sign doesn't bother me.  I do wonder if the signpost has anything to do with AMC airing M*A*S*H reruns.

What's next?  A pizza on the roof of one of the homes in Alexandria as a shout out to Breaking Bad?

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/17/2018 at 3:48 AM, OoohMaggie said:

Well I would have been the first one out of the door heading to Alex, staying in that gloomy dump with your former torturers makes sooooo much sense!

Heck, even Jadis's shipping container and Ikea furniture was more appealing even in the middle of a dump

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, wrlord said:

It was an obvious shout-out to M*A*S*H, which had a sign like that and a main character (and actor) from Toledo.

I'm not sure if you're being serious, but I doubt they would put a shout-out to an audience of which the majority (I think) remembers nothing pre-Facebook. I watched M*A*S*H yet don't remember any "Toledo" sign. Of course, I kind of stopped watching during the Klinger period (and after the Bible Belt audience put the smack-down on the Hotlips/Frank romance - ohh, we're in the  middle of a war but extra-marital affairs are too shocking)since I found him to be ridiculous and highly un-funny. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/16/2018 at 7:02 AM, OoohMaggie said:

My money is on a fake ‘comedy arm’ like Merles and will end up hanging Down by his knee, but what attachment are they going to stick on the end?

As soon as they chopped off Aaron's arm, I thought "boy, they better put a pointy end on that thing right quick so he can defend himself!" Then I remembered he has a kid and figured they can give him an attachable cap with integrated bottle. And do an awesome scene in which there's a quick-cut zoom in to him snapping on and twisting in the bottle a la Ash in the Evil Dead.

Horny trash-art chick and Father Pee Pants? Weird as hell, but YAAS please! Just don't be messing about while on watch. (Something bad happening as a result seems too predictable.) Wait til you're both on break and let your froggy freak flags fly!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...