Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: Torn Between Two Lovers

Haley can’t seem to choose between her past and present relationships. Manny returns to college and dorm life while his girlfriend, Sherry, continues to stay at Jay and Gloria’s, and might be overstaying her welcome.

Airdate: October 17, 2018

Uh…is it just me or is this season really good so far? It’s like all the abysmal writers from season 9 got fired and they re-hired the early seasons writers. (I have no idea who the writers are; maybe it’s been the same people all along.)

But seriously, this was a great episode. I could have cut out the Manny/Gloria/Jay subplot, but there’s usually one that is superfluous. Still. I liked the trendy childfree couple. The scene of Phil and Claire explaining what they saw in each other was cute. The scene of Mitchell gnawing on Cam’s ankle made me laugh.  And HungJuries.com. Heh.

I didn't even notice Luke was missing. And Alex, totally forgot about her too. The kids continue to be annoying. They’re writing the little ones like middle aged men and writing Lily too young. She’s almost in high school. Old enough not to loudly whine “Daddy, I’m booored” right in front of her parents’ hosts. Then again she’s always been a brat.

Thank God Haley dumped that awkward loser. Yay for Dylan. A better match for Haley in every way.

• Love 17

Going to take the opposite angle and say the last thing this show needed was more Reid Ewing, a one-note actor who hit the limits of his abilities in his third episode. 

So basically, there's no difference between 14-year-old Hayley and 24-year-old Hayley. Or however old she is.

• Love 14
18 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

Uh…is it just me or is this season really good so far? It’s like all the abysmal writers from season 9 got fired and they re-hired the early seasons writers. (I have no idea who the writers are; maybe it’s been the same people all along.)

But seriously, this was a great episode. I could have cut out the Manny/Gloria/Jay subplot, but there’s usually one that is superfluous. Still. I liked the trendy childfree couple. The scene of Phil and Claire explaining what they saw in each other was cute. The scene of Mitchell gnawing on Cam’s ankle made me laugh.  And HungJuries.com. Heh.

I didn't even notice Luke was missing. And Alex, totally forgot about her too. The kids continue to be annoying. They’re writing the little ones like middle aged men and writing Lily too young. She’s almost in high school. Old enough not to loudly whine “Daddy, I’m booored” right in front of her parents’ hosts. Then again she’s always been a brat.

Thank God Haley dumped that awkward loser. Yay for Dylan. A better match for Haley in every way.

Absolutely agree with you on just about everything.  I'm happy that Dylan is back.  He is well suited for Haley.  I like Lily, so I find her funny most of the time.  Alex & Luke have been annoying for a while so didn't miss them.  So far, so good for this season!

• Love 11

I liked Harleys super smart boyfriend, but I am actually super glad that Dylan is back! What can I say, they're cute! 

"I slept with him since i was 16!"

"16?!" "16?" "...Dylan...." 

The stuff with the furbaby couple was pretty funny, although I still dont always love how they write Lily. Like she is somehow both a sassy 30 year old man, and a six year old girl. 

Hungjury.com. Snicker. 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, jmonique said:

Going to take the opposite angle and say the last thing this show needed was more Reid Ewing, a one-note actor who hit the limits of his abilities in his third episode. 

So basically, there's no difference between 14-year-old Hayley and 24-year-old Hayley. Or however old she is.

Word.  So not buying the one true love thing with Haley and Dylan and really not caring to watch it happen.  I've never really cared for Dylan, though, so there's that.

• Love 12

So how the hell did the gay couple with the dogs afford that multimillion dollar Los Angeles home? Didn't they tell us that one worked for the prosecutor's office, and the other was a teacher?

The writers really are convinced that everyone lives in outrageous luxury.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Tasha Brand said:

You had me until this part.  Yeah, Arvin is such a loser.  Uh, except for the various scientific awards he's won and clear goals he has in terms of what to do with his life.  Especially compared to the actual awkward loser who basically has no goals in life and we'll make sure Haley has no goals, either.

Great match for Haley.

I say more that Arvin is written basically as the: "He is so smart and perfect, but acts like an idiot at times because smart people can't be attractive, smart and socially set." That's the problem wtih Dylan. It's not the actor, it's not the chemistry. It's just you have to tell us: Here is a guy who just wonders through life, he latches onto whatever looks good ie: nursing, sign spinning, marrying a doctor, ect. Yet, he either drops out or can't remember that 2+2=4. No one truly just says: "Dylan, you have no goals unless you see someone else doing it or you keep coming up with dumb stuff." Everyone is more of: "Oh, he and Haley are perfect for each other." or "Where the hell is a car to run you over?" That is what I don't like about Dylan, it comes to a point where he is just another person who falls up to success because no one calls him on it. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Wow. Alone again in not liking this episode. Kind of funny that everyone thinks this season is super good. Really? What am I missing?

Not alone.  I have tried again this season after sitting out most of last season.   I used to laugh out loud at this show, now it's just on in the background.

• Love 4

Dylan does have goals.and we learned he was thinking about applying to nursing school years ago when Alex was still in high school and Haley committed graffiti to cheer her up.

We know that his family had kicked him out relatively after high school and lived for a short while with the Dunphys and then Cam and Mitchell. Yes, he had a varied assortment of odd jobs but he was supporting himself the best way possible.

When we foind out that he was married to a doctor, he seemed to be settled and happy. The reason that he got divorced was not because he was was a goofy slacker but becauae his wife went back to her first husband.

Phil said that Dylan has been putting himself through nursing school and working at the hospital. He has been doing that before Dylan and Haley hooked again.

As for Haley, she also has assortment of weird jobs but she has been working at faux Goop for at least s year or so. She has not moved out of the house yet but she probably will now as her relationship with Dylan progresses. She already said what life with Dylan would be and she sounded completely happy and satisfied by that.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

So how the hell did the gay couple with the dogs afford that multimillion dollar Los Angeles home? Didn't they tell us that one worked for the prosecutor's office, and the other was a teacher?

The writers really are convinced that everyone lives in outrageous luxury.

Family money?

9 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Wow. Alone again in not liking this episode. Kind of funny that everyone thinks this season is super good. Really? What am I missing?

I liked it (except Jay & Gloria are wearing on me).  I have found this season better than the previous couple of seasons, So maybe it's funny by comparison.  I wouldn't say "super good", but it's on the right track.  I have been pleasantly suprised.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Tasha Brand said:

You had me until this part.  Yeah, Arvin is such a loser.  Uh, except for the various scientific awards he's won and clear goals he has in terms of what to do with his life.  Especially compared to the actual awkward loser who basically has no goals in life and we'll make sure Haley has no goals, either.

Great match for Haley.

Arvin is awkward to the point it's painful to look at him and listen to him. He's professionally accomplished but a mediocre boyfriend, hiding Haley's real job from his parents out of embarrassment. And oh god, that cringey speech he made immediately after they met about how he and Haley are going to end up together. He likes her because she's trendy and "hot", and that kind of superficiality is off-putting. He was just so painfully unfunny and watching Haley attempt to get his jokes was excruciating.

He's not a great match for someone like Haley who is, uh, not mentally sharp most of the time. Dylan is right up her alley. That's what I meant by good match.

• Love 21

In case it wasn't clear before, this episode makes it clear that they are going to try and wrap up a lot of loose ends and take a nice victory lap. I am fine with that as long as the writing is clever and funny, which it has been throughout this season.

Yeah, Dylan is written as dim and the actor seems like he can only do dim, but it is generally funny dim-the local affiliate had the Dude Ranch episode on and he did dim very, very well. "Dylan....Dylan, where are you..." "I'm in Montana"

Haley is going to be forever immature and will count on Mom, Dad or Grandpa to keep her in the lifestyle to which she has become accoustomed and she is ok with that.

I wish they had flashed back to the old episodes and had Cal step on a juice box in the white carpet.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

Arvin is awkward to the point it's painful to look at him and listen to him. He's professionally accomplished but a mediocre boyfriend, hiding Haley's real job from his parents out of embarrassment. And oh god, that cringey speech he made immediately after they met about how he and Haley are going to end up together. He likes her because she's trendy and "hot", and that kind of superficiality is off-putting. He was just so painfully unfunny and watching Haley attempt to get his jokes was excruciating.

He's not a great match for someone like Haley who is, uh, not mentally sharp most of the time. Dylan is right up her alley. That's what I meant by good match.

Exactly. They have not done a good job of making Arvin in any way appealing. There are plenty of intelligent, accomplished people who also have social skills. And his attraction to Haley does seem superficial and rooted in very little, as evidenced by his rather quick "eh, I'm over it" as he walked away. 

While I don't mind Arvin being out of the picture, I don't like Dylan and Haley together as much now as I did when they were kids. They were funnier together then (or rather, Haley was funnier then, I don't find her that funny or interesting now). And for the love of God, can they back off the makeup gun with her? Her skin is so spray-tanned, she's practically in blackface and she just seems to be coated in makeup at all times. She's a young, pretty girl, it's ridiculous to overdo it so much on the makeup. 

I'd like to see some more cohesive family storylines going forward, the separate pieces haven't interested me all that much. I especially love Claire and Mitchell together, so I'm hoping for more storylines with those two together. 

• Love 9

I liked the Haley storyline a lot (particularly her speech at the end), and it was nice to see Phil and Claire so clearly in love with each other. Cam and Mitch got along well, too, and it's nice to see an episode where they aren't sabotaging each other.

That said, Cam and Mitch's storyline was pretty blatantly recycled from the early episode where they're desperately trying to impress the restaurant owner, and then Lily spills strawberry juice on the extremely expensive designer rug.

What's wrong with the people on this show who encourage small kids to play in rooms with priceless valuables?

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 11

Yeah.. I didn’t find any of this episode funny. I’m bored. And Haley ending up with Dylan.. eh. I’m not into that either. 

I hope this is the last season, it’s getting painful to watch for me. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I'd like to see some more cohesive family storylines going forward, the separate pieces haven't interested me all that much. I especially love Claire and Mitchell together, so I'm hoping for more storylines with those two together. 

Yes!!!! It's why I tuned out last season - sometimes I felt like I was watching 3 different shows at the same time.   MF was always at its best when there was interaction between the families.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I thought I saw all the episodes but apparently didn't pay attention. Who was the little boy with Lily?

Cam's sister Pam is in jail, that's her little boy that they're watching while she's locked up.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Cam's sister Pam is in jail, that's her little boy that they're watching while she's locked up.

Thanks. I must have missed that. For some reason, I thought she went back to their hometown.

• Love 1

I LOL  when the Canadian girlfriend of Manny did her first impression of Gloria and the camera panned over to Jay,Cam, Mitchell,Phil and Claire.  It looked like Mitchell cracked up laughing and Phil couldn't keep a straight face trying not to laugh, because Gloria was standing behind the girl and had heard everything.  I loved the part of Claire going crazy about trying to set the mood for Arvin and Haley,lol. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I LOL  when the Canadian girlfriend of Manny did her first impression of Gloria and the camera panned over to Jay,Cam, Mitchell,Phil and Claire.  It looked like Mitchell cracked up laughing and Phil couldn't keep a straight face trying not to laugh, because Gloria was standing behind the girl and had heard everything.

That was Claire's Gloria impression they were laughing at, not Annoying Girlfriend's.

4 hours ago, AriAu said:

Haley is going to be forever immature and will count on Mom, Dad or Grandpa to keep her in the lifestyle to which she has become accoustomed and she is ok with that.

That's...not OK and makes me even less inclined to root for her and that dipshit.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I liked the Haley storyline a lot (particularly her speech at the end), and it was nice to see Phil and Claire so clearly in love with each other. Cam and Mitch got along well, too, and it's nice to see an episode where they aren't sabotaging each other.

That said, Cam and Mitch's storyline was pretty blatantly recycled from the early episode where they're desperately trying to impress the restaurant owner, and then Lily spills strawberry juice on the extremely expensive designer rug.

What's wrong with the people on this show who encourage small kids to play in rooms with priceless valuables?

Yes that was what I thought about the Cam Mitch story as well, its already been done, on this show

Except the first time it was funnier, and more believable.  And the restaurant owner lady was not as pretentious and annoying as that gay couple.  I actually didn't feel bad for them at all.  Whatever it was they broke.....so what, you have a ton of other "meaningful" expensive crap all over that overwrought stick up your ass house. 

really though I think what we have learned from this show is don't invite cam and mitch to your house.  They will inevitably break something.  Especially if you work with him. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 8
20 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Nope. I don't hate it but it's still mostly background noise. Mitch and Cam's entirely predictable mishaps make me cringe and I could have done without Manny's girlfriend (why was she staying at their house without him, anyway?). I actually liked the Haley part. She and Dylan are cute together. (Don't get me wrong; they'd drive me nuts in real life.) 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

That was Claire's Gloria impression they were laughing at, not Annoying Girlfriend's.

That's...not OK and makes me even less inclined to root for her and that dipshit.

That's right!  Lol, and Gloria nonchalantly waving her arms knocking Claire's arm as she was about to take a drink of wine and splashing it all over her face.   

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

And for the love of God, can they back off the makeup gun with her? Her skin is so spray-tanned, she's practically in blackface and she just seems to be coated in makeup at all times. She's a young, pretty girl, it's ridiculous to overdo it so much on the makeup. 

She's had health problems with her kidney again recently.  I wonder if that has her suffering from jaundice and they are trying to compensate as best they can.

• Love 11

This show continues to suck for me. Dylan was allright in the early seasons but this whole pushing he’s the one for Haley is annoying and dumb. I also did not care who she chose anyways because she has been with Arvin for like 2 seconds.

Mannys girlfriend is even more annoying then him. They both can go to his dorm and not come back.

Im just riding this show out cause I want to see the end but it’s been really unfunny for a bit to me.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Ciarrai said:
  Hide contents

I have the sickening feeling it's going to be Dylan.

I seriously doubt it. That would be too tragic. I think they're trying to set up a happily-ever-after ending for Haley. My guess would be Cam's sister, but I don't know how they could pull that off while still being a comedy show.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I could have done without Manny's girlfriend (why was she staying at their house without him, anyway?). 

Manny was having trouble getting permission for his girlfriend to stay with him in his dorm room. Since she’s from Canada, she had nowhere to go so Gloria offered for her to stay with them. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Angeleyes said:

Manny was having trouble getting permission for his girlfriend to stay with him in his dorm room. Since she’s from Canada, she had nowhere to go so Gloria offered for her to stay with them. 

Since when is ANYONE except those enrolled in school, girlfriend or not, allowed to stay with students on a dorm room? 

"persmission"?  Of course not.  Its not allowed

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Eataton said:

I seriously doubt it. That would be too tragic. I think they're trying to set up a happily-ever-after ending for Haley. My guess would be Cam's sister, but I don't know how they could pull that off while still being a comedy show.

I hope it's not him.  Cam's sister is fine with me.  I'm not sure why a death is necessary though.

They did have Phil's mother die a few years ago, and still managed to have funny bits.

Apparently, they're dealing with huge unexpected news next week.  Maybe they find out that Jay is gay!

Edited by Tanichka
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, AEMom said:

She's had health problems with her kidney again recently.  I wonder if that has her suffering from jaundice and they are trying to compensate as best they can.

That's possible but they had that scene of her in a hospital bed a few weeks ago with her makeup way toned down and she looked lovely. She's got very prominent eyes and mouth so when they paint her up so heavily, it just looks clownish.

• Love 5

She is also losing her hair and if you noticed on last night's episodes her eyebrows were noticeably fake.  I definitely think her makeup and hair changes almost weekly depending on how her health issues are affecting her appearance in real life.  I do think maybe they are overcompensating or maybe she likes the way it looks. It is possible it looks different in person, not to mention in dailies prior to all the color grading and post processing they do.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Eataton said:

They really can't unless they want to go into "A Very Special Modern Family" territory.

19 hours ago, Marley said:

Dylan was allright in the early seasons but this whole pushing he’s the one for Haley is annoying and dumb. I also did not care who she chose anyways because she has been with Arvin for like 2 seconds.

I agree - and yes (I am going to duck the tomatoes being thrown here) I like Andy.  Yes I want her to be Hailey Bailey.

• Love 12
13 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

Thanks, I missed that. (Obviously.)

13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Since when is ANYONE except those enrolled in school, girlfriend or not, allowed to stay with students on a dorm room? 

"permission"?  Of course not.  Its not allowed

Is he trying to have her live there? Plenty of friends/boyfriends (including my freshman year roommate's boyfriend...who was nicer than she was so I didn't actually mind too much) spent a night or two on a weekend in my dorm when I was in college which wasn't a big deal. But then they went home. I assume there was a limit to how long they could stay but I don't know who kept track of such things. I'd guess the RA would have noticed at some point. No way they'd be allowed to live there.

• Love 3

I really liked Arvin and their relationship was intriguing, but I agree that Dylan makes more sense for Haley. Arvin is pretty out of her league intellectually, and they never really developed their relationship much to justify why he was interested in her. Given Arvin's past comment on the Dunphy's emotional intelligence, they could have played up Haley's street smarts as compared to Arvin's, well, book smarts. Or, they could had Haley develop a surprising interest in astronomy (that she never knew about because she had always dismissed science as "boring") after their first date with the telescope and had that develop as something in common. 

Also yea, Andy was Haley's best love interest imo. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I liked Andy too.  Plus, Andy was funny. 

Andy was truly funny - Dylan is just dim.  As much as I can't take Dylan, please.....No Rainier Shine.  Nathan Fillion (sp?) is great and hopefully his new show takes up all his time!!!!  But no to Rainer.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, AEMom said:

4 hours ago, Unclejosh said:

She is also losing her hair and if you noticed on last night's episodes her eyebrows were noticeably fake.  I definitely think her makeup and hair changes almost weekly depending on how her health issues are affecting her appearance in real life.  I do think maybe they are overcompensating or maybe she likes the way it looks. It is possible it looks different in person, not to mention in dailies prior to all the color grading and post processing they do.

I could hardly pay attention to the episode because of those huge eyebrows. I was hoping she wasn't going through chemo or something (though I know she has kidney issues, not cancer). Next to her, Dylan was the picture of health. 

• Love 7
On 10/18/2018 at 6:57 PM, LeighLeigh said:

So who do think is going to die? Do we still think it’s Deedee?

I wish it would be Lily. She's the only "main" character with no redeeming qualities and the actress is quite possibly the worst on television. Unfortunately, that will never happen.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 3