Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Chapter Thirty-Six: Labor Day

• Start Topic

IMHO i don't think Polly/Alice screwed around with Betty's meds, I think it might be more related to that epidemic that they've been mentioning and that Betty might have been the one affected by it in the first episode (but tbh, ARchie's weird dreams might also be another "epidemic") Whether it's related to the Gargoyle King or the Cult, no idea! I think we might see these types of illusions as the season goes on and it might explain that monster thing that pops up by Betty that tthey showed in some preview a while back! 

Could be the freaky leechy water from that river they swam in! But either way, I think there's a perfect explanation for these floating babies!

And man is Polly crazy af! Why is she going after Betty like that!! Gah! Now I'm wondering whether she'll be involved in having Betty committed to the SOQM (if she's being sent there unwillingly).

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Snookums said:

I don't think Polly would abuse her meds to get high deliberately: that's way too reckless for her type A personality. I think it was more she was spending so much time on Archie's trial that she "needed to keep sharp" and every other excuse a workaholic comes up with. That would make the consequences of tolerance creep up on her and have it be much easier for Alice and Polly to fiddle with her dosage and gaslight her.

Yeah. I really do think Polly and Alice and the cult had something to do with it, more than betty herself. And I hope it’s true and I hope that’s what adds the supernatural element, not that the show is actually going in that direction, Betty is just seeing things.

Because to me she seems to be the only one affowith it. At least so far. Archie’s dreams to me were just him dealing with his guilt and the consequences and fear of his actions. Kind of understandable. And Jughead saw Dilton and Ben with the symbols but like someone else said this while “Gyglore King” feels kind of like slender men and Veronica has her dad and her businesses to run, also did the show forget about that for this episode? She was working at Pops but she owns Pops now, right? 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Snookums said:

Honestly, the only part I really didn't like (as opposed to rolling my eyes all "oh, show, you imp") was the whole floating babies bit.  Right now I'm assuming that's for the tie in with Sabrina, and I honestly HATE that kind of thing. If I'm watching a show, I want to watch that show, not have to view six other things in order to keep track of what's happening.

I started watching Supergirl when it began because I thought it would be kind of cool, but didn't want to have to invest my time in watching all of those other DC shows (even if some of them might be better shows than Supergirl).  And then they do the crossover episodes that force me to watch those other DC shows.  Ugh.

I find it odd that the Sabrina spinoff is going to be on Netflix.  Just the fact that it's on Netflix could make it a very different kind of show than a CW teen dance party kind of show.

I haven't watched the episode yet.  I bet it's on my dvr when I get home, but I said I was done after last season.  Should I punish myself for 45 minutes and spy on this ridiculous town again?  I need to be strong.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Dobian said:

I started watching Supergirl when it began because I thought it would be kind of cool, but didn't want to have to invest my time in watching all of those other DC shows (even if some of them might be better shows than Supergirl).  And then they do the crossover episodes that force me to watch those other DC shows.  Ugh.

I find it odd that the Sabrina spinoff is going to be on Netflix.  Just the fact that it's on Netflix could make it a very different kind of show than a CW teen dance party kind of show.

I haven't watched the episode yet.  I bet it's on my dvr when I get home, but I said I was done after last season.  Should I punish myself for 45 minutes and spy on this ridiculous town again?  I need to be strong.

Oh come on, watch it! Watch it for the ridiculousness! Watch it without binding yourself! It's not perfect but it's okay!

:D :D

• Love 5

I think it might be more related to that epidemic that they've been mentioning and that Betty might have been the one affected by it

Wait, epidemic? I totally missed that? What epidemic? (Besides one of CRAZY)

• Love 1

I was once again struck-- when Jughead said it was the start of junior year-- that Archie was allegedly 14 when he started an affair with Ms Grundy.  It didnt even occur to me that Betty's meds were messed with-- I thought it was some sort of reaction to the magic being done by the cult.

I think perhaps this show (between the Archie behind bars, Coopers in cults, and Gargoyle King-- the show may have gone overboard on the crazy. Can't these kids just stress about the SATs?

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

I was once again struck-- when Jughead said it was the start of junior year-- that Archie was allegedly 14 when he started an affair with Ms Grundy.  It didnt even occur to me that Betty's meds were messed with-- I thought it was some sort of reaction to the magic being done by the cult.

I think perhaps this show (between the Archie behind bars, Coopers in cults, and Gargoyle King-- the show may have gone overboard on the crazy. Can't these kids just stress about the SATs?

Yeah.. I very much doubt it’s ever going back to that type of show. 

Although.. it might. That’s another problem the show has, they go full on crazy and then they are probably going to try and have a episode where the kids are doing something school related and normal and it’s like.. but you can’t do that. Like the show struggles sometimes with its tone.

Also Archie was like 15 or 16 when he started with Mrs Grundy wasn’t he? The first two seasons were  the kids sophomore year. 

Also I guess Cheryl magically went down one grade since she’s the same age as all of them now or maybe she always was? It’s confusing.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

Hi Everyone! I have missed snarking/discussing with you...welcome back, Riverdale! 

This episode was crazy and unrealistic, but that's what I've come to expect about Riverdale. 

@Snookums, your entire post about how horrible the trial was was so spot on! As someone who listens to far too many true-crime podcasts, I can't even believe that there was a hung jury, and that half of the jurors found Archie guilty. Granted, we didn't see the whole trial, but I don't think Archie's "violent" past is evidence enough to prove that he's guilty of murder. And when Archie said he would take the deal, I literally yelled, "Archie, you idiot" at my TV screen. I know he's young and dumb, but his own mother was shaking her head at the ridiculousness of that deal. I can't believe the judge accepted Archie's decision that easily without letting his counsel have a moment to deliberate. 

Oh yeah, not to mention the other characters in the ensemble who they need to focus on.

This show has too many characters, too many plotlines, but I don't find that they're that good at wrapping things up properly. That's probably why I worry about where this season is going. This premiere set up a bit too much with too many characters already separated into their own storylines. 

And the show just keeps adding more and more characters to the already ensemble cast they already have. 

THIS. This was my biggest problem with last season too. Toni and Reggie were made series regulars after last season, but Reggie only had one shirtless scene and a few lines of dialogue in this episode. Kevin and Josie are series regulars (Josie has been since the beginning), and they are hardly on screen. Hell, there have been episodes where Cheryl was never seen on screen. If you can't handle writing for the cast that you have, stop adding more useless characters. It's too much! Especially with these writers who seem to just love piling more and more on. 

I loved Cheryl this episode, and I'm glad that we'll be getting more scenes with Cheryl and the Core Four this season, especially Jughead (and Betty, I guess) since they're both Serpents. I think there might be some contention coming up with Jughead and Cheryl as she continues to be a "loose cannon" as Jughead called her. But I adore how crazy and badass Cheryl is. When she shot Malachi, I burst into laughter and yelled "yes girl!" even though violence isn't funny...

Speaking of violence though, I loved when Fred punched Hiram. Bless Fred's heart for holding off for that long, and not beating Hiram to a pulp sooner! Fred deserves everything. The scene where he and Archie and Betty finished the jalopy nearly had me choking up...

Credit where it's due, the acting was solid all around.

Agreed. Special credit to KJ Apa, who always seems to bring his A+ acting game in season premieres. And his abs...he brings those, but I am very OK with it. 

In a lot of interviews over the summer, Cole Sprouse said that he asked TPTB if Jughead could eat more this season, and I love that we're already seeing it! Every scene where Jughead was munching on something made me giggle. Speaking of Cole Sprouse, dude looked hella fine this episode. I regret nothing in saying so. Also FP in glasses made me swoon super hard. 

As a proud Canadian, Jughead's pronunciation of "Québec" bothered me...any other Canadians get unreasonably upset over that? Just me? 

• Love 4

I just realized why I don’t want Betty to be addicted to Adderall. PLL did that. And with the very same medication. Seriously if this ends up being what happens, Riverdale is legit just copying other show storylines a lot lately.And not well. 

I hope it’s my original theory of Polly and Alice messing with the meds.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AdorkableSars said:

Hi Everyone! I have missed snarking/discussing with you...welcome back, Riverdale! 

This episode was crazy and unrealistic, but that's what I've come to expect about Riverdale. 

@Snookums, your entire post about how horrible the trial was was so spot on! As someone who listens to far too many true-crime podcasts, I can't even believe that there was a hung jury, and that half of the jurors found Archie guilty. Granted, we didn't see the whole trial, but I don't think Archie's "violent" past is evidence enough to prove that he's guilty of murder. And when Archie said he would take the deal, I literally yelled, "Archie, you idiot" at my TV screen. I know he's young and dumb, but his own mother was shaking her head at the ridiculousness of that deal. I can't believe the judge accepted Archie's decision that easily without letting his counsel have a moment to deliberate. 

THIS. This was my biggest problem with last season too. Toni and Reggie were made series regulars after last season, but Reggie only had one shirtless scene and a few lines of dialogue in this episode. Kevin and Josie are series regulars (Josie has been since the beginning), and they are hardly on screen. Hell, there have been episodes where Cheryl was never seen on screen. If you can't handle writing for the cast that you have, stop adding more useless characters. It's too much! Especially with these writers who seem to just love piling more and more on. 

I loved Cheryl this episode, and I'm glad that we'll be getting more scenes with Cheryl and the Core Four this season, especially Jughead (and Betty, I guess) since they're both Serpents. I think there might be some contention coming up with Jughead and Cheryl as she continues to be a "loose cannon" as Jughead called her. But I adore how crazy and badass Cheryl is. When she shot Malachi, I burst into laughter and yelled "yes girl!" even though violence isn't funny...

Speaking of violence though, I loved when Fred punched Hiram. Bless Fred's heart for holding off for that long, and not beating Hiram to a pulp sooner! Fred deserves everything. The scene where he and Archie and Betty finished the jalopy nearly had me choking up...

Agreed. Special credit to KJ Apa, who always seems to bring his A+ acting game in season premieres. And his abs...he brings those, but I am very OK with it. 

In a lot of interviews over the summer, Cole Sprouse said that he asked TPTB if Jughead could eat more this season, and I love that we're already seeing it! Every scene where Jughead was munching on something made me giggle. Speaking of Cole Sprouse, dude looked hella fine this episode. I regret nothing in saying so. Also FP in glasses made me swoon super hard. 

As a proud Canadian, Jughead's pronunciation of "Québec" bothered me...any other Canadians get unreasonably upset over that? Just me? 

I am originally from québec and tbh, I'm just happy its just being mentioned on the show... I totally understand how its a weird word for Americans to say so... yeah, they'll get a freeby from my part! Lol. 

And OMG, they have Quebec Serpents lol! 

(??) 

• Love 2

How stupid is Archie on this show?  He doesn't want to put anyone through any stress so he pleads guilty to a crime he didn't commit to be put away in juvenile detention for two years?  Just one more in a long line of stupid things he does.  It's a good thing I don't care about his character or I'd be pretty annoyed.  I did kind of like JP giving him tips on how to survive in prison.

Nice to see Hot Dog and the jalopy.

The bad news is this whole Gargoyle King story looks like it might be pretty dumb.  Looks like it ties in with Alice and Polly's farm work.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, rmontro said:

How stupid is Archie on this show?  He doesn't want to put anyone through any stress so he pleads guilty to a crime he didn't commit to be put away in juvenile detention for two years?  Just one more in a long line of stupid things he does.  It's a good thing I don't care about his character or I'd be pretty annoyed.  I did kind of like JP giving him tips on how to survive in prison.

Nice to see Hot Dog and the jalopy.

The bad news is this whole Gargoyle King story looks like it might be pretty dumb.  Looks like it ties in with Alice and Polly's farm work.

Yeah, I also don’t get the Archie is pleading guilty for all the other bad stuff he did last season. Which I guess he did some stuff? I mean the stupid red circle stuff was stupid but he didn’t do the terrible stuff regarding it, didn’t Reggie and the other bulldogs actually do the real terrible stuff? And yes he did Threaten sweet pea with a gun and the stuff with Nick st clair but as viewers we know Nick sexually assulted Cheryl and almost Veronica so he had his reasons. I mean yeah the jury doesn’t know that and Archie pleaded guilty just because.

Also it seems like Archie already had it his mind that he was going to be found guilty. The talk with Betty, the talk at the lake, him trying to break up with Veronica. He was already defeated. 

Anyways. I’m more worried that the show is recycling a pretty little liars plot with Betty or maybe my theory is still sort of correct; maybe Polly and Alice switched the pills to make her addicted to them and cause her to have seizures.

I feel like polly has a lot of hate towards Betty this season. Why I don’t know. Before the season finale, polly seemed pretty awesome actually, the episode when she came back and met Chic and was like “okay I’m out” because he was a creeper, and then in the finale she came back and really seemed angry at Betty. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, jay741982 said:

I get so tired of seeing Betty Bashed for not being innocent when others like Precious Cheryl have done worse 

Whatever Cheryl has done (and sure it's worse), doesn't somehow make Betty's ok or less. 

28 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Also it seems like Archie already had it his mind that he was going to be found guilty. The talk with Betty, the talk at the lake, him trying to break up with Veronica. He was already defeated. 

Anyways. I’m more worried that the show is recycling a pretty little liars plot with Betty or maybe my theory is still sort of correct; maybe Polly and Alice switched the pills to make her addicted to them and cause her to have seizures.

Not sure why Archie and others thought he would be found guilty when it didn't appear there was any real evidence against him.

Adderall is addictive on its own though, so I don't know why they'd have to switch the pills for that.

I agree I'm also confused by why Polly has suddenly turned hostile.  I guess everybody takes a turn being bad on this show.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Not sure why Archie and others thought he would be found guilty when it didn't appear there was any real evidence against him.

Adderall is addictive on its own though, so I don't know why they'd have to switch the pills for that.

I agree I'm also confused by why Polly has suddenly turned hostile.  I guess everybody takes a turn being bad on this show.

Yeah but I’m really hoping it isn’t an addiction story with Betty. That was done on Pretty little liars with the very same drug. Like.. come on Riverdale. Riverdale is really starting to just take plots from other teen dramas and really badly done too. Like last season having Falice having a child and Bughead having a half sibling was something that happened on the show gossip girl. 

So I hope it’s alice or potty messing with the pills. 

I don’t get the point of Archie’s story in general though. Like I said in another post, keeping him separate from the other cast doesn’t make sense and it ruined last season when everyone was off doing their own thing,  so logically he can’t be in juive for that long because that he’s not around. And as much as Riverdale is an ensemble, it is based off comics that star Archie. So. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
51 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Because Hiram is running Riverdale. Why do you think Veronica begged him to put a stop to it? 

Hiram would just keep putting Archie on trial over and over again until he got convicted or his life got wrecked.

I don't think she was hostile, just worried about Betty, which she had every right to be. If she expressed that in an angry way, it's understandable, considering Betty's obvious disdain for her lifestyle.

Edited by Diapason Untuned
  • Love 3

Eh, I thought Polly was pretty hostile. She seems mad at betty. Like she resents her or something. 

Also.. yeah I’m now thinking they’re going with a betty is hooked on her meds which is so unoriginal.  And PLL already did that. Seriously Riverdale.. ew.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Eh, I thought Polly was pretty hostile. She seems bad at betty.

Also.. yeah I’m now thinking they’re going with a betty is hooked on her meds which is so unoriginal.  And PLL already did that. Seriously Riverdale.. ew.

Was she though? Betty has been abusing Adderall and she was lying about seeing a therapist. Polly simply pointed that out. If she was rough about it, Betty has been equally out even more rough about the Farm.

• Love 1

Eh I’m just saying that Polly has some resentment towards Betty. Also she seemed to have went looking towards to find out something bad about Betty. Also the farm cult sounds bad anyway.

And we don’t know anything yet about what’s going on with the Adderell. We’re all just speculating. I think her being hooked on it may be too simple of an answer. It could be it but I wouldn’t be surprised if the cult has to due with her becoming more reliant on needing it, like changing her dosage or something.

6 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I just realized why I don’t want Betty to be addicted to Adderall. PLL did that. And with the very same medication. Seriously if this ends up being what happens, Riverdale is legit just copying other show storylines a lot lately.And not well.

Ooh, maybe we’ll get a black and white fantasy episode then.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, rogvortex58 said:

Ooh, maybe we’ll get a black and white fantasy episode then.

That was the only good thing to come out of that storyline. And yes I think it was a terrible storyline there too.

And again it makes me sad because Riverdale just continues to just copy other show storylines. 

Granted this is all speculation but I feel like this is where it’s going to end up going for Betty. And that makes mr sad even more. Betty should be on some type of medication and should be seeing a therapist but the show has ruined all of that by having her lie about going to one.

Anyways. As I’ve said before I’m only still here for Bughead and i know some people will probably make fun of me for it but last season really eroded any chance I have investing in plots and character development. And Bughead is just the only thing I enjoy. 

• Love 1

What happened to the show I fell in love with during the first season? Now it’s a bunch of emo teens who have sex all day long and are either in gangs or getting dragged by kingpin Hiram. Even the mystery seems ridiculous. I still love the actors and Bughead is adorable, but these episodes may end up piling up on the DVR until I binge through them. I would rather watch All American Wednesday night.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, twoods said:

What happened to the show I fell in love with during the first season? Now it’s a bunch of emo teens who have sex all day long and are either in gangs or getting dragged by kingpin Hiram. Even the mystery seems ridiculous. I still love the actors and Bughead is adorable, but these episodes may end up piling up on the DVR until I binge through them. I would rather watch All American Wednesday night.

Agreed. 

And I sadly don’t know if all American is going to last. It’s way too normal for the cw and reminds me of old teen shows and apparently that’s not what the kids want anymore.

• Love 1

Riverdale is back and it's.... gown full-blown supernatural, now?  Floating babies?  Creepy cults with carving, bones, and other things that feel like they came straight out of the first season of True Detective?  That's.... one way to do it, I guess.

I should have known Archie's trial was just going to end with him taking a deal, because he feels guilt not over the murder he didn't do, but all the other stuff he did last season.  Oh, you silly, dumb fool!  But I still can't hate him, because is dumb nobility is at least coming from an earnest place.  But I sometimes wonder how he's even survived his pre-teen years, considering how much of a dolt he can be.  Of course, I can't see him staying in juvenile detention for the entire season, so I guess he'll somehow have his innocence proven: wherever by Betty/Jughead/Veronica or the Just For Men's Hot Dad's of the CW organization consisting of Fred, FP, and Keller.

Love you, Veronica, but I'm not getting my hopes up with you finally breaking away from Hiram, because I felt like you have plenty of opportunities to do so, but haven't.  Speaking of Hiram, he really is the most immature mobster of all time.  It is hard to really find him threatening when he's letting fucking teenagers get under his skin like this.  As for Hermione, I really can't figure how what to make of her, because it feels like this show can't decide with they want her to be a victim under Hiram's thumb or a mastermind in her own right.

Polly and Alice are right about Betty not addressing what happened with Hal last season, but it still doesn't make the whole Farm less cultish and creepy, and that's not even including the floating babies.  I'm guessing that is all connected to the Sabrina spin-off, or Betty was just hallucinating.

Congrats to Charlie Melton and Vanessa Morgan being upgraded to regulars, even if that doesn't mean too much these days, since Josie gets about five lines total, and it feels like Kevin is just here to mainly provide overdramatic reaction shots.

They sure went all out with the fan service, with all of the guys going shirtless scenes, and the gals getting to rock their bikinis.  Got to love season premieres!

All in all, I kind of suspect this season might be the one that really goes off the rails, but as long as I can keep looking at Camila Mendes and Madelaine Petsch, I ain't going anywhere!

• Love 4

I know we have to grade all court stuff on TV on a curve, but even so....

This would be the first murder trial to be completed within three months of the arrest for the murder, ever.

They kinda glossed over the actual evidence that might tie Archie to the killing of this kid, because there wasn't any. They also glossed over that this kid was no angel. He had just robbed and held hostage the Core Four, IIRC. So it seemed like that would have been worth mentioning. It would have been interesting to see how the Core Four would have testified about it.

It seems bizarre that the prosecution would have gotten to drag in all the other shady stuff that Archie has done without charging him with it. Also seems like him being tried as an adult is a stretch. 

For a criminal mastermind, Hiram is an idiot. Put Archie in a position where he's facing murder charges, and you create a huge incentive for Archie to flip on Hiram about the shady stuff Hiram has been involved in. Not only could Archie go to the authorities and give them a bunch of leads, but he could get approached by the other crime families that were threatening to move in on Riverdale. 

One thing though: Archie's decision to plead to manslaughter and get essentially two years' in juvie does not strike me as particularly stupid. Rushed maybe. But look at it this way. He was likely to be retried because Hiram wanted him to be. And in a retrial, there was a respectable chance that Archie would be convicted. Let's say it's a 50-50 chance of a murder conviction. If convicted, Archie would be looking at life in adult prison, possibly death if Riverdale's state has the death penalty. To avoid that possibility, a reasonable person could say it's worth taking a plea that would end everything after 2 years. Indeed, in the real world, people make that sort of calculation fairly frequently.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, twoods said:

ow it’s a bunch of emo teens who have sex all day long

Yeah, I had a pretty good laugh at Jug's voiceover that they were going into their junior year in high school. Damn, that is way more mature HS sex than I remember, including the post-coital convos about jail time!

On another topic I didn't see mentioned here: did anyone's show completely cut abruptly to commercial during the pool party, right after Josie mentioned where the jurors were? We then had about 8 minutes of commercials and then the Hot Dog napping scene came out of nowhere, so I'm pretty sure we missed some show. This is Philly burbs. I don't need more to confuse me, what with the floating babies and all.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

Yeah, I had a pretty good laugh at Jug's voiceover that they were going into their junior year in high school. Damn, that is way more mature HS sex than I remember, including the post-coital convos about jail time!

On another topic I didn't see mentioned here: did anyone's show completely cut abruptly to commercial during the pool party, right after Josie mentioned where the jurors were? We then had about 8 minutes of commercials and then the Hot Dog napping scene came out of nowhere, so I'm pretty sure we missed some show. This is Philly burbs. I don't need more to confuse me, what with the floating babies and all.

Mine cut there too, but Some people posted the scene  I missed it was Jughead seeing Dilton acting’s odd at the pool party and then Fangs telling Jughead about hot dog veg taken and the serpent meeting and Betty calling herself a serpent queen and she’s going to be fighting with him too.

• Love 1
On 10/11/2018 at 8:30 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

I don’t get the point of Archie’s story in general though. Like I said in another post, keeping him separate from the other cast doesn’t make sense and it ruined last season when everyone was off doing their own thing,  so logically he can’t be in juive for that long because that he’s not around. And as much as Riverdale is an ensemble, it is based off comics that star Archie. So. 

I was actually expecting Archie to be found guilty, and go off to prison.  Because it doesn't mean anything.  How many cast members have been incarcerated already?  The writers just wave their magic wand and find a way to get them out again.  And in the meantime we get some cheap drama.  It's easy.

Thoughts on the episode:

1. What has Riverdale done to Alice Cooper? Like who is that woman? 

2. Archie is still as dumb as can be

3. Bughead is so cute

4. I hate the cult business

5. Just when I thought I cudnt love Fred anymore...thank u Fred for that punch

• Love 2

Y'know, I just had a thought r.e. the floating babies...

Remember last season when Archie and Jughead were delivering that mysterious crate that was all Lovecraft-esque and had a Russian mobster lady in a beret and stuff? Nothing really came of that but perhaps that's what the cult is doing! Cthulu and his horde could definitely float a baby or two, although historically they're more into mating with human women to produce horrific monster babies instead.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Snookums said:

Y'know, I just had a thought r.e. the floating babies...

Remember last season when Archie and Jughead were delivering that mysterious crate that was all Lovecraft-esque and had a Russian mobster lady in a beret and stuff? Nothing really came of that but perhaps that's what the cult is doing! Cthulu and his horde could definitely float a baby or two, although historically they're more into mating with human women to produce horrific monster babies instead.

Eh. I mean this show can hardly call back to things that happen in the same episode in a previos scene. Let alone last season.

• Love 3

This is so rando, but man, I loved Betty's 1995 inspired outfit, with the purple shirt underneath a spaghetti strap dress. (I think it was a blue denim color?) You don't see as many 90's fashion throwbacks on this show, so it tickled me to to see Betty wearing something so 1995.

So Kevin only went to third base with all his forest hook-ups? Hmm. I did the cruising thing for a bit and I never went past oral with like 95 percent of them, so I guess that's believable. (I was also doing this at 20-21, not 16 like Kevin.)

Archie is so stupid. I really wonder if KJ ever just reads his script and cringes at the dumb stuff his character does.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

What makes Archie so stupid regarding taking the deal... the prosecutor offered two years, no prison, but in a detention center... that was the first offer. If he would have shut up, his mom could have gone back to the prosecutor and came back with maybe six months in the detention center or in house arrest for a year, something better than the first offer. Very likely the prosecutor would have allowed a little better deal. Nope, Archie had to be stupid instead. 

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Wilpen said:

What makes Archie so stupid regarding taking the deal... the prosecutor offered two years, no prison, but in a detention center... that was the first offer. If he would have shut up, his mom could have gone back to the prosecutor and came back with maybe six months in the detention center or in house arrest for a year, something better than the first offer. Very likely the prosecutor would have allowed a little better deal. Nope, Archie had to be stupid instead. 

Yeah, but the show is hoping viewers take it as a noble choice. 

Also I would hope all the actors side eye and roll their eyes with the choices their characters make but I doubt it. Only because ive seen insights from them and they don’t seem to get it, like LR not understanding why some viewers were put off by the choice to have Betty so a striptease last season. So I doubt KJ really has any distaste for his characters choices.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:26 PM, PeekaBoo said:

I am originally from québec and tbh, I'm just happy its just being mentioned on the show... I totally understand how its a weird word for Americans to say so... yeah, they'll get a freeby from my part! Lol. 

And OMG, they have Quebec Serpents lol! 

(??) 

I'm from Quebec, and every time a show mentions the province or Montreal, I get stupid excited, heh. But yeah, their pronunciation drives me nuts. 

On 10/11/2018 at 12:25 AM, Snookums said:

And a mistrial is cause for dancing in the streets, Arch! If you ever listened to your parent who is a lawyer you'd hear that there's no damn way the DA's office is going to okay another trial after this debacle--taxpayer money and all. If they didn't find any physical evidence by now, they're not going to, and in the real world this case never would have made it to the first trial, let alone a second. You are free as a damn bird! But no, Noble Idiot Archie decides to take one for the team even though the entire team is yelling WE WON ALREADY, YOU DOOFUS, GET OFF THE FIELD.

Thank you so much for summarizing exactly what I felt watching! I'd say that Archie is as dumb as a box of rocks but that would be insulting to both the box and the rocks.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, AAEBoiler said:

Thank you so much for summarizing exactly what I felt watching! I'd say that Archie is as dumb as a box of rocks but that would be insulting to both the box and the rocks.

As the show has already illustrated, Hiram controls Riverdale. Archie would be put on trial as many times as Hiram wanted. So no, a mistrial wouldn't put the thing to bed, they'd just start it up again.

Edited by Diapason Untuned

God bless this cast, because I don't know if I'd stick around for just any ensemble playacting this shit. I mean, former Glee writers are involved, I know what I'm getting into—"We've decided on Ridiculous Point A and Ridiculous Point B and we'll just handwave all logic, logistics, and characterization to get there!"—but sometimes I have to wonder if it's really Jason Mendoza banging out the scripts. After he's done whippits. Only Cheryl really works at this level of crackness, but unfortunately, changing the show's focus to the Crimson Academy of Bisexual Longbow Avengers* would be seen as straying too far from the source material.

*I would totally watch that spinoff. Knowing full well it'd just be Madelaine Petsch clicking around in stilettos and dropping devastating bon mots in between nighttime archery raids. That's the show I think these writers could handle (and not so secretly want to write anyway).

On 10/11/2018 at 12:12 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

Because to me she seems to be the only one affowith it. At least so far. Archie’s dreams to me were just him dealing with his guilt and the consequences and fear of his actions. Kind of understandable. And Jughead saw Dilton and Ben with the symbols but like someone else said this while “Gyglore King” feels kind of like slender men and Veronica has her dad and her businesses to run, also did the show forget about that for this episode? She was working at Pops but she owns Pops now, right? 

Is that what they were saying? I swear I heard Gargoyle King.

• Love 7

I don’t know what they were saying or if I’m spelling it correctly. I don’t honestly care. That plot line is dumb. But then most of them kind of are this season so...

And yeah I agree, I love the cast (well the Ones that play the teens, some of the actors who play the adults kind of bug and on social media they all try so hard and it makes me like them less)so along with my love for the cast and Bughead, that’s why I’m here. And the cast love can only go so far and I know Bughead is more than likely on a egg timer so we will see how long I can last.

I also suffered though glee which got ridiculous yes but Riverdale seems beyond that right now. Like I know some people think it’s a nothing that they show has diverted into a supernatural element because comics! But it didn’t start out that way and the fact that it has totally changed its genre is ridiculous to me but I digress.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
On 10/10/2018 at 10:35 PM, Dee said:

This show is TRASH.

I agree. It's so inherently racist it's like TVD all over again. Fucking CW for the fail, always. Really not trying to watch Betty and Cheryl be Queens of the Serpents. Gross. 

I give the show a gold star for the unintentionally hilarious line, "Let's bring Hot Dog home."

A mom acting as her son's defense attorney in a murder trial.  Uh...sure.

At least they changed Molly Ringwald's hair so she looks a little more like a grownup Claire from Breakfast Club and a little less like Des Moines 4H mom.

This really needs to be Hiram's last season.  The whole town knows he's dirty and hates him.  For a criminal gangster, he really doesn't know how to keep things under the radar.  Tony Soprano would have put him in the back of a garbage truck last season.  It's just a question of who is going to pop a cap in him.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Dobian said:

I give the show a gold star for the unintentionally hilarious line, "Let's bring Hot Dog home."

A mom acting as her son's defense attorney in a murder trial.  Uh...sure.

At least they changed Molly Ringwald's hair so she looks a little more like a grownup Claire from Breakfast Club and a little less like Des Moines 4H mom.

This really needs to be Hiram's last season.  The whole town knows he's dirty and hates him.  For a criminal gangster, he really doesn't know how to keep things under the radar.  Tony Soprano would have put him in the back of a garbage truck last season.  It's just a question of who is going to pop a cap in him.

Honestly I think the only death hiram will get will be a fake one. I could totally see them having Hiram fake his death for a little bit and then bring him back. The powers that be love Hiram being a throne in everyone’s side.

Also.. I don’t know, people seem to fear Hiram enough to not do anything about him. Somehow Hiram was able to scare people enough to vote his wife for his mayor.

And I love Mary but anytime they bring her back, it just always brings up that it doesn’t make sense why she and Fred aren’t together. They try to make it seem like Chicago has more opportunities career wise for her but hell, with Riverdales deaths murders and crime  left and right, she would be able to lawyer quite a lot there! And Fred And Mary like each other a hell of a lot more than most of the married Riverdale couples. IT really just highlights that the only reason she’s not around more is because she’s played by MR. and that the show clearly wants to keep the door open for a possible future Fred and Hermione pairing because I don’t believe that one is over. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl

So....they apparently decided to triple down on the stupid this year. I'm officially watching just to see how ridiculous it gets and what outrageous thing they come up with next. I'm checking my disbelief at the door with the full intention of not letting one idiotic thing said or done by anyone to get under my skin. I completely expect to laugh long, hard and maniacally!

• Love 2
On 10/11/2018 at 1:40 PM, AdorkableSars said:

Where are you from? I'm in BC, about two blocks from the "Whyte Worm" in fact, and I didn't notice anything strange about it. We tend to pronounce it "kwebec" but I know regional variants tend to pronounce it more like "kaybec".

On 10/11/2018 at 7:16 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

I thought Polly was pretty hostile. She seems mad at betty. Like she resents her or something. 

Polly seems to be completely out of character! I can't figure out why she's so gung ho with Alice on this medical farm cult place when she had to rescued from the crazy nun hospital that Alice had her put in back when she was still pregnant. This show clearly has no continuity bible, but I doubt they would even follow it if they did, because it should be easy to check the history if anyone cared to try.

I know this is the least ridiculous thing from the season premiere, but I was stuck on how quick Archie's murder case took. So he was arrested near the end of the school year, and by the time summer is almost over, his trial is already wrapping up? I know that it's technically possible, depending on what state you're in - I googled that in California, the defendant has the right to request a trial within 60 days? IANAL - but I don't think I've ever heard of a first degree murder case actually moving that swiftly. Of course, Riverdale operates in its own very special version of reality, so why not? I wouldn't have wanted to deal with the murder trial being the overarching plot of season 3 anyway. 

I'm sorry I was cool with most of the serpent stuff last year.. But good lord.. Hearing jughead talk like he was a four star general.. And to see sweet pea and Toni defer and to have Betty and Cheryl just barging their way into it was just uncomfortable to me

It really is nauseating. I hated the whole Native American backstory they gave the Serpents to begin with, especially since the group was being led by white savior Jughead. So that was bad enough, and now we have the equally milky Betty and Cheryl being treated as the serpent queens? Ew. 

ETA: Also, this is superficial af, but Archie looked like a goddamn putz wearing a bowtie to court. Archie, dude, you're on trial for murder, you're not at the prom. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2