Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Chapter Thirty-Six: Labor Day

• Start Topic

And we are back!! And yes I am back as well and here we long essays. 

Pre facing, most of what I’ve read about this season, plot and story wise, I’m honestly not a fan. I’m going to be honest, I’m really just here for Bughead. And Betty and Jughead, although sometimes the stories they are given separately as well cause severe eye rolls and shaking my head. Or at least last season when almost every character did a 180 because the show decided to become dark.

also Bughead got  so much this episode and while I am enterally grateful for that, I can’t help but worry that this is a gift horse because the rest of the season might be terrible for them. Because honestly.. why wouldn’t they? Last season they had great sweet moments and then they broke up in the same episode so.. this episode is great for them(I’ll go into detail later). 

Okay. Here we go. 

I still hate the Archie story. A summer away only heightened it. I really still can’t believe they are trying to do this one. Also another question can Mary be her sons lawyer? I guess you can. Ugh. I’m sure I’m the only person who found the court scene boring. Although.. Mary Rules. I’m still not sure why she and Fred aren’t together, only because Molly is too expensive to keep on the show and the show probably still wants to keep Hermione and Fred open For possibles.

I love that Jughead has animal crackers just around in case he gets hungry from time to time. But also I like to think that Betty keeps snacks in her purse for her boyfriend because she knows how he gets hangry.

Hiram is such a teenager. Who taunts a 17 year old? 

Oh look a card game.. that’s going to turn dangerous.

The core four scenes were cute and fun but I fear that these are only core four scenes of the season so we should all enjoy them. 

I had read Cheryl and Toni spent their summer riding motorcycles which good for them. I can only hope the choni fandom calms down this season.

Prolly, Alice, and the cult. Ugh.

Hey betty fixing cars. Also a friendship scene with Archie and Betty. Already starting a scene to fan the shipping wars, show.

Aw, Veronica. But I feel like she signed the death certificate on her relationship with archie by stating that she and Archie are end game. She is right that Archie isn’t fit for prison. 

So the serpents are living in the park. 

Also I called Archie becoming a faux serpent for protection. It’s dumb and sadly  it makes it seem like everyone is a serpent now. Also Fred is probably not going to love this idea. 

Okay yeah.. are we supposed to like Alice ever? Because the show has a hard time making me like her ever. Burning Bettys journals, joining a farm with the daughter who left her quite a few times and not the one who has stood by her side for a lot? I mean maybe Betty is rubbing a mile a minute but she’s going to therapy now so yay! Thanks writers!!! I’m thrilled with this!!

Sweet Pea and Josie.. possibly shipping it. What I don’t really ship is Kevin and Moose. Sorry not sorry.

Kind of shocked Reggie is just like “yeah I’ll be friends with the people I hatedAlso one is dating my ex girlfriend but whatever”

Also holy hell the writers are remembering things from the first season.. like Cheryl trying to kill herself? Wow. 

I love that Veronica and Bettys big plan is to go talk to the jurors. Yeah.. that’s a bit so great plan.

Also hot dog.. no. I’m not sure how I feel about Bettys big serpent queen moment. I love Bughead but I’m just.. not a fan of her or really anyone doing the gang thing.

I actually do feel bad for Archie and all this bht still.

Veronica isn’t that great at doing these things, isn’t it normal to have police protection for jurors? Of course Hiram’s cop would be there.

Also Hermione I get it you can only protect Veronica if you are alive but seriously.

Betty has a leather jacket.  Also hot dog! Also again this is a great plan. And ha, I love Cheryl getting all Katniss on everyone! Archery for the win! But yeah.. showing up with arrows and all that isn’t going to benefit anything really. I get that they wanted to try and save hot dog but yeah. This plan wasn’t great. And Cheryl Rules but pulling arrows on penny and friends does no favors.

Where are Jughead and FP living? 

Also is Jughead regretting becoming king? 

Betty isn’t going to therapy?!?! Ugh. Come on show! I was rooting for you!!!! I was really excited for a hot second. And wow I really hate Alice. And polly. Also please don’t suck Betty into the farm. 

Aw the core four having fun. Again this may be the last we see a core four scene. I know a lot of people don’t like the core four but I love their friendships.

The campfire scene was sad. Oh as if Archie could kill someone. 

And yes Betty you should see a therapist. And not someone from the farm! I’m really mad the show did this. And I also fear that they are tryiNg to make medication a bad thing. And also they don’t know what they want with that either- in the first season bettt hated taking It and now she wants to. Also aw... Jughead took off his beanie and gave it to Betty!!!! You guys he gave his beanie to Betty!!!

Of course Archie doesn’t want Veronica to visit him and wants to break up. So cliched. And Archie don’t worry even if you end up in jail, you’re going to get out in like two episodes probably. 

Is it wrong that I’m not at all interested in Sabrina?

Aw the moment with Archie and Vegas. 

Ugh, I already hate this card game story.

Archie taking a deal.. like a dummy. Seriously.. what?  Are we like supposed to think he’s a martyr for this? Cause I just think he’s a dummy. 

Also I wonder if Hiram is like “oh hell I didn’t think this would actually happen” because Veronica is never going to forgive him, right? 

Hey look all the dads banding together.

Good for Veronica on standing up to her dad. Let’s hope she stands by it.

Hey look the game thing I couldn’t care less about.

Also Archie in juive.

Ben and Dilton are dying from their card game.

That last min, what’s happening to Betty?!?!  And the Bettys flew? This is what’s going to make the season really dumb. All

tgis supernatural stuff.Ugh. I hope they aren’t trying to make it seem like the medicine makes her have seizures?

I don’t know. I liked the core four scenes  and Bughead but I don’t get the cult storyline or the stupid game thing or.. I don’t know this new supernatural element. What? We will see how long I last this season.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

I admit, I was figuring that the twist at the end would be Archie being acquitted, so kudos to the show for taking things in a different direction.

I generally like this show most when it’s pushing things in weird directions, so the cult and the mysterious “gargoyle king” stuff is right up my alley.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, RandomWatcher said:

Archie: the noble fool

New title for his forum.

As I said in my first post, I really think we’re suppused to think he’s so great for doing this but I burst out laughing. 

And yet at first I hated everything with his story, but considering our other alternates this season are some stupid card type game that ends with symbols on bodies possibly being killed and a cult that has babies floating, I’d rather watch Archie be an idiot in juive.

• Love 3

So, is this where the Sabrina crossover comes in? Floating babies? Or was Betty just high? With this show, its hard to tell. 

Nice to see this crazy ass show come back, with the mafia stuff in the rear view mirror. Of course, we still have the Serpents (who are now in some kind of refugee camp?) so thats still a thing, but at least they have that Riverdale brand of crazy that I can get behind. Sometimes. I have no idea what their deal is at any point, but I have more or less come to terms with it.

It was cute seeing everyone hanging out at Cheryl's pool party, and the core four going for a swim together. Also was it me, or was everyone looking even more old timie than they usually do? The retro clothes were on point for everyone. And having a big pool party with a velvet couch by the pool, and her towering, still burned up mansion in the background is such classic Cheryl. I would 100% bring her to a gang fight.

A gang fight...over a dog. Granted, I would probably raise a lot of Hell if my dog was dog napped by some weirdo, but its just so Riverdale. 

Betty, get your ass to therapy. When your dad is a serial killer, its kind of something thats borderline mandatory. 

Archie is such a dunderhead. I didnt see him taking a plea deal though, so points for that though. And he is going to miss the creepy cult stuff, which looks like it might be fun. Is Dilton really dead? Looked pretty dead. They sure are down with killing off comic characters due to crazy murders. 

• Love 11

Couple of things:

first am I the only one thinking that Hiram is going to murdered this season? They seem to be setting up the suspects.

Also I call shirtless shenanigans tonight on the show! Every male character on the show had a shirtless scene tonight. I think Archie spent almost an equal time with and without a shirt tonight (not complaining about that at all). But Kevin and Moose go to a pool party and nothing? Cmon! Kevin I can see with Corey's shyness but Moose? Hell, we saw an extended Reggie and Dilton down to his undies! 

Speaking about those two, Kevin it's not a good idea to put a time limit on having sex with your boyfriend. I'm suddenly getting the feeling that when school starts Moose is going to give Kevin the cold shoulder treatment. 

• Love 1

I find t interesting that at the end of last season there was talk of the core four being together more so than last season but it seems like they are once again dealing with separate things, again. At least by the end of this episode. Archie is in jail, Betty is dealing with the cult, Jughead found Dilton and Ben in the Woods did to sort of creature king and Veronica is dealing with her mobster father(I don’t think the mafia stuff is done honestly, Hiram is still around and he’s planning to ruin Veronica’s life more).

I know I’m alone but I hated the floating babies and I really wanted Sabrina and this show to be separated. I don’t know why they had to add supernatural creatures into this show.

I really don’t think I’m going to last the whole season. 

At this point I have to admit I’m only here for Bughead. And you guys can call me on it but the plots aren’t doing anything for me now.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3

I call BS on the Hermione Lodge switcheroo.  She has never given me the impression she was afraid of Hiram.  She's always seemed like his right hand, more or less.   I feel like this show caves to fandom wishes WAY to often.  I saw many people posting about how they hope Hermione is the one to take Hiram down one day and I guess that is where we are going.  Though he is a monster, I still say he is one of the hottest men on this show.   Kevin was wrong about the Hot Dad's of Riverdale.  There is only one.  Fred, FP and Mr. Keller, I'm sorry but no.

And Hiram  would have broken Fred into 12 if those two guards hadn't held him back.

Veronica's devotion to Archie, I still like her but I definitely roll my eyes.  i'm not sure I believe anyone would turn their backs on their family, a rather small one (since we are given the impression it has always been Hiram, Hermione and Veronica), for a small-town boy.  No matter how hot his muscle tone.   Hiram doesn't love anyone else but he does/did love her.  I get the impression Veronica's feelings for Archie are much stronger then the feelings he has for her.  That's something she may learn, to her sorrow one day.  Men and love, come and go dear.   For all her Manhattan knowledge, socialite taste and overly loquacious vocabulary, she's still a clueless little girl.

I'm not wild about the whole Supernatural aspect of this latest storyline.  The Good news is, it seems that will be concentrated on Betty, which I'm fine with since I don't like her and tend to do something else when she's on.

Credit where it's due, the acting was solid all around.

• Love 6

I'm sorry I was cool with most of the serpent stuff last year.. But good lord.. Hearing jughead talk like he was a four star general.. And to see sweet pea and Toni defer and to have Betty and Cheryl just barging their way into it was just uncomfortable to me... Also can we get Marc consuelas to learn another Spanish word besides Mija.. His cadence is already so weird and stilted and then he busts that out.. Dios Mio... 

Hey look Josie said somn.. Hi Josie.. Bye Josie 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Advance35 said:

I call BS on the Hermione Lodge switcheroo.  She has never given me the impression she was afraid of Hiram.  She's always seemed like his right hand, more or less.   I feel like this show caves to fandom wishes WAY to often.  I saw many people posting about how they hope Hermione is the one to take Hiram down one day and I guess that is where we are going.  Though he is a monster, I still say he is one of the hottest men on this show.   Kevin was wrong about the Hot Dad's of Riverdale.  There is only one.  Fred, FP and Mr. Keller, I'm sorry but no.

And Hiram  would have broken Fred into 12 if those two guards hadn't held him back.

Veronica's devotion to Archie, I still like her but I definitely roll my eyes.  i'm not sure I believe anyone would turn their backs on their family, a rather small one (since we are given the impression it has always been Hiram, Hermione and Veronica), for a small-town boy.  No matter how hot his muscle tone.   Hiram doesn't love anyone else but he does/did love her.  I get the impression Veronica's feelings for Archie are much stronger then the feelings he has for her.  That's something she may learn, to her sorrow one day.  Men and love, come and go dear.   For all her Manhattan knowledge, socialite taste and overly loquacious vocabulary, she's still a clueless little girl.

I'm not wild about the whole Supernatural aspect of this latest storyline.  The Good news is, it seems that will be concentrated on Betty, which I'm fine with since I don't like her and tend to do something else when she's on.

Credit where it's due, the acting was solid all around.

I liked this for most of your post except Betty. I like her I don’t quite understand the hate she gets when others are just as awful.

And yes Hermione has always seemed like she’s fine with Hiram. Except for the season finale last year, but last season, especially the first chunk of episodes she was all tutting Veronica for being like “oh you silly little girl” and she seemed to enjoy it, that Hiram was bad and Veronica was just a little girl. Whatever.

There were things I really liked about this episode, the teens being teens, Mary being awesome, the dads banding together. 

But I hated the last 3 mins. I don’t know if Betty had a bad reaction to her pills.. which also bothers me, now pills and medicine are evil or if she had a reaction to the cult itself. Either way already this storyline sucks.

Also I can't stand Polly.. But she was spot on about Betty... (Tho to be fair I haven't really liked Betty since she drugged and assaulted a minor and faced no consequences)  Now Archie actually took some responsibility for all the bullshit he did.. And that's wassup. 

• Love 2

"The Leopold and Loeb Juvenile Detention Center"?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry, as a reminder:  Leopold and Loeb both began their sentences in Joliet (home of the Blues Brothers) before being transferred to Stateville, where Loeb was whacked by a fellow inmate in the showers via a straight razor.  Archie's screwed.

Edited by Demian
  • Love 8

I don’t know. I got really disappointed when it turned out Betty wasn’t going to therapy. The sneak peak made me so happy and then they ruined it by having her not.

I mean she should be on medicine too as well and it seems like as of the end of this episode they’re going to ruin that too. But we will see.

i

I really hope she doesn’t get sucked into the farm, I don’t think she will but you never know. 

• Love 1

It’s so funny to come here and read how I’m like alone in really disliking the direction the show went in this season. But I understand. It’s just not my thing. And the thing is I do like supernatural type shows but that’s not why I signed up for this show. 

Eh. I’ll be alone. It’s fine.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Advance35 said:

Isn't that what Betty did in season 1? Rebel against her mom by dating Jughead before she even knew his birthday? And then side with the Serpents, that were complicit in Jason's murder, oh wait we're supposed to forget that. 

1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

(Tho to be fair I haven't really liked Betty since she drugged and assaulted a minor and faced no consequences) 

The amount she's gotten away with...like last season with blackmailing Cheryl even though Jughead's dad WAS GUILTY. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

Isn't that what Betty did in season 1? Rebel against her mom by dating Jughead before she even knew his birthday? And then side with the Serpents, that were complicit in Jason's murder, oh wait we're supposed to forget that. 

I don’t think Betty was dating Jughead to get back at Alice. At least not from what I remember. I think the serpent thing may have been a bit of a rebel against her but not dating Jughead, if anything I think her trying to date Archie was a rebel agonist Alice. Alice hated Archie in the pilot and the first couple episodes.

Nothing about this episode made me like Alice at all. Or polly. The worst part is I was super excited for this episode, I was like “going to go in Riverdale with not a lot of expections but the sneak leaks seem fun” and then everything got ruined.

I guess while I’m not thrilled with how in the serpents Cheryl and Betty are(I guess we really are forgetting the serpent dance the show made Betty do just to have a Bughead break up scene and make viewers really uncomfortable) it is what it is, and I can sort of get behind The Gyglore king because for some reason it seems like something dumb teens would do(kids go online all the time now and do odd things for stories they read online so) but I really can’t get behind the floating babies and the supernatural of that. I’m sorry. That has made the show beyond ridiculous. It better have been Bettys imagination.

Also I’m really upset that Archie didn’t even consider Vegas feelings when he pleaded guilty! What the hell, Archie?!?! Think about your dog! I hope Vegas and Hot Dog have dog play dates.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
45 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

The amount she's gotten away with...like last season with blackmailing Cheryl even though Jughead's dad WAS GUILTY. 

Watch Whiteness Work.

• Love 1

Well, at least this show knows its strengths: namely, get the entire writer's room as high as a giraffe's ass and let them go to town!

Honestly, the only part I really didn't like (as opposed to rolling my eyes all "oh, show, you imp") was the whole floating babies bit.  Right now I'm assuming that's for the tie in with Sabrina, and I honestly HATE that kind of thing. If I'm watching a show, I want to watch that show, not have to view six other things in order to keep track of what's happening. And it's not even that I don't want to watch Sabrina! I do! It has Sally and Missy, for God's sake, of course I'm going to watch it, I just don't want to have to keep a damn flow chart so I can make any sense of developments: Riverdale is completely batshit insane enough on its own.

And speaking of batshit insane, let's move over to that farce of a "trial" starring Penelope Anne "I've gone blonde" Miller and a complete dearth of any sane universe courtroom procedure. While this wasn't the craziest version of a trial I've ever seen (that honor still belongs to The Following) the entire hey, kid whose entire life is in the balance and has parents willing and able to haul him out of the country? Go enjoy Labor Day Weekend! 

And while I was grateful that The Gang wasn't spending the entire hour running around the woods or planting evidence or whatever (it was actually pretty funny how they kept getting thwarted in that direction) it unfortunately did highlight how friggin' dumb Archie Andrews, that sweet dipshit, truly is. Because the fact is, yes, he's got a problem with violence, but it was all coddled and fed into by a friggin' gangster whose goal is to ruin his relationship with his daughter by destroying her boyfriend's life and seems genuinely shocked that she isn't going oh, okay. That whole "I didn't kill anybody...but I could have" thing was understandable on the THIS CHILD NEEDS THERAPY EVEN MORE THAN CHERYL BLOSSOM level but therapy is NOT what legal imprisonment is for! If anything he's going to come out of there worse than when he went in! 

And a mistrial is cause for dancing in the streets, Arch! If you ever listened to your parent who is a lawyer you'd hear that there's no damn way the DA's office is going to okay another trial after this debacle--taxpayer money and all. If they didn't find any physical evidence by now, they're not going to, and in the real world this case never would have made it to the first trial, let alone a second. You are free as a damn bird! But no, Noble Idiot Archie decides to take one for the team even though the entire team is yelling WE WON ALREADY, YOU DOOFUS, GET OFF THE FIELD. If they'd had a scene where Hiram threatens to give the murder weapon to the DA with his fingerprints on it or something it would have made some kind of sense but as it is? Oh, Riverdale.

And the Leopold and Loeb Juvenile Detention Center had me snort laughing.

But enough of that, let's move on to Slender Man  Gargoyle King or whatever that was, and the first two deaths of teenagers this season, hooray! But really, this is the kind of thing Riverdale should be doing: heightened to the point of ridiculous is their bread and butter. I just wish poor Milton and that blond kid didn't have to drink drain cleaner to kick things off. The actor playing Milton did a very, very good job with what little he was given to work with though; when he was at Jug's house trying to talk to him and just barely hanging on? Excellent. So quiet but so off.

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 14

I really hope the show isn’t planning to do a Sabrina crossover. Weren’t they not going to? They wanted the shows to be separate. At least from what I remember reading when Sabrina was first announced as being picked up. 

Whatever. I feel like I’m already out the door on this show, the only thing I really enjoy is Bughead and I know knowing this show they’re going to probably last only a little bit so we will see.

I am  hilariously also thinking about next season and how everyone is either going to be a zombie or have superpowers or something at this rate. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

Interesting clothing optional episode.

WTF! You expect me to believe that an under aged Betty is going to a therapist that her mother dropped her off at, but her mother never met and never paid. Betty is forging medical scripts from fake doctors. Give me a break.

• Love 10

I still find it funny that we’re suppused to be all “Archie did good, pleading guilty, he’s so brave”.. when really he is a idiot. That’s probably what Mary and Fred we’re thinking: “why is our son an idiot?”

And Vegas. Poor Vegas.

Also Alice probably hasn’t been checking in on betty at all since she’s been culting it up over the summer so I doubt she even drove Betty to the doctors. either way Alice is a terrible mother and parent. I don’t really understand the love people have for that character but I digress.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 7

I love Alice as a character because she's fun to watch and Madsen plays the hell out of her, but there's no way I'd ever want her in my real life. Like, I wouldn't even stand in line behind her at the bank.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
6 minutes ago, Snookums said:

I love Alice as a character because she's fun to watch and Madsen plays the hell out of her, but there's no way I'd ever want her in my real life. Like, I wouldn't even stand in line behind her at the bank.

I personally don’t find Madchen that great but that’s just me. I know everyone seems to love her but something about her just isn’t my thing.

And Alice as a character just annoys. At least to me. I personally don’t find her all that fun and if anything I’m just reminded that she’s kind of awful. 

And I Again have to say I don’t get the Betty hate, plently of these characters do awful things and yet people love them. Betty and Jughead are kind of the only two people I still like and even that wavers at times. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2

I really don't like when shows just add supernatural elements when there had been no signs of them before. So for now I'm going to assume that Betty was halluciniting when she saw the floating babies.

• Love 18
4 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

I really don't like when shows just add supernatural elements when there had been no signs of them before. So for now I'm going to assume that Betty was halluciniting when she saw the floating babies.

That’s what I’ve been saying. Like others though I feel they are doing this because of Sabrina. But as I said when Sabrina got picked up I swear I remember reading that the shows would be existing in different universes. Guess that’s changed.

I hope the supernatural element isn’t really supernatural and is more of something Betty is hallucinating. Like for some reason I’m thinking Alice and Polly got to her pills and are drugging her and making her go crazy. And cult leader Edgar told them to do this. This might be a way of them to try and gaslight her into the cult. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Like for some reason I’m thinking Alice and Polly got to her pills and are drugging her and making her go crazy. And cult leader Edgar told them to do this. This might be a way of them to try and gaslight her into the cult. 

I like that idea and I hope you're right.

• Love 4

I hope so. Because honestly I don’t want this to become a supernatural show. I know I’ve said that enough tonight but I’m sorry it doesn’t make sense.

And I do like supernatural shows. When that’s what they are. Not when a show started out as something that had none of these elements and turns into having them. I also don’t want a Sabrina crossover. 

I actually don’t mind the Gyglore King thing, I mean it’s dumb and but it’s interesting because as I said, it does follow things kids have done, reading a dark fable online and doing all the steps to meet said seriel killed legend thing so that’s realistic.

I do hope my theory is right. It really is just a theory I thought of randomly tonight and at this point I don’t put it past polly or Alice to do this. Alice is brainwashed really really bad right now so she will apparently go with anything this cult leader says to do and Polly this season seems to have some resentment towards Betty.

Also this allows for a long season con on Betty. If Betty keeps taking her medicine and she keeps having Hallucinations like this eventually she’s going to probably want to stop and possibly consider the alternative being the cult.

And yeah.. now that I think about, I was worried the show was trying to Say it was her medicine making her have a seizure but she’s been taking them all summer and had been fine so something tells me my theory may be correct. 

I mean I could be wrong about all

this(I hope I’m not) and that it

turns out this show has really decided to become supernatural and next season that means all Of Riverdale will be taken over by dead bodies and we will be watching Riverdale the walking dead but I really hope not.

8 hours ago, wingster55 said:

I get so tired of seeing Betty Bashed for not being innocent when others like Precious Cheryl have done worse 

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah, as I said the Betty hate i

see here is annoying when everyone else is just as bad.

I've stated why I dislike Betty most out of the core 4...  But for some of the others it could be the result of all the bughead love...  Archie is an idiot with violent tendencies.. Veronica is a sheltered spoiled brat.  Cheryl.. Whew.. Jug and Betty ( to me)  come off really self-important andbin Jug's case self-righteous arrogant with a heavy dose of white savior... None of the core four face many consequences for their direct actions.. Betty has had a ton of crap dumped on her.. But not because of her actions.. For those she's pretty much skated by.. Hiram is actively wrecking archie's life because of Veronica's actions and Archie is punishing himself by taking the deal for all the madness he perpetrated.. But yeah all of them are kinda horrible I just find jug and Betty horrible and insufferable.. Compared to Archie and Veronica who are just horrible 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I've stated why I dislike Betty most out of the core 4...  But for some of the others it could be the result of all the bughead love...  Archie is an idiot with violent tendencies.. Veronica is a sheltered spoiled brat.  Cheryl.. Whew.. Jug and Betty ( to me)  come off really self-important andbin Jug's case self-righteous arrogant with a heavy dose of white savior... None of the core four face many consequences for their direct actions.. Betty has had a ton of crap dumped on her.. But not because of her actions.. For those she's pretty much skated by.. Hiram is actively wrecking archie's life because of Veronica's actions and Archie is punishing himself by taking the deal for all the madness he perpetrated.. But yeah all of them are kinda horrible I just find jug and Betty horrible and insufferable.. Compared to Archie and Veronica who are just horrible 

Eh, I really find Archie and Veronica to be awful but we all have our opinions and we are allowed. I prefer Jughead and Betty to most of the characters on this show and it’s not just because  I like Bughead.

In other news as I said I don’t think I’m going to enjoy any of the actual plots this season.

I am already over Hiram and his plans to ruin Veronica’s life. He isn’t done. I also think the mafia stuff is probably going to come back. And I don’t get the 180 on Hermione but then again they change her character every season. Now she’s afriad for her life regarding Hiram? Okay. As I said in a previous post, last season she was fine being a mob wife. She seemed to enjoy it. Again I get that this is the writing to fit the plot but it’s not good. This show really has a problem keeping their characters consistent.  Sometimes even in the same episode.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2

So, I decided to give this premiere a try after stopping halfway through last season (I officially stopped watching after the weird Ghost Story-esque episode). I've kind of read up on what happened here and there, but decided to see if I may watch this season.

I wasn't impressed, but I was intrigued enough to watch a few more episodes and try to get back into the show. 

Oh Archie. It's good to see that he's still just as dumb as the last time I saw him. I mean, I kind of understand what he was doing, but I felt like it was more plot contrivance. As in "we need one of our underaged teens to have a few episodes in juvie....because why not?" It WAS super dumb of Archie to say that he belonged in jail because he "could have killed someone." Everyone's capable of killing someone but that doesn't mean they all should be locked up. Plus, every single one of these characters has either tried to kill someone or has actually killed someone. Archie's probably one of the least offenses of the entire cast. But when Archie was practically screaming "I want to go to juvie", nobody seemed to be listening or trying to help.

I guess I like the core 4 still. They're mostly ok when they're together; it's when they split up that the problems really start. 

Ok, so what is it with Polly and now Alice being in a cult? Is that really the plot for this season? Ok, then. Stay true to yourself, Riverdale. 

I still think I only really like Betty, just judging from this episode. I guess I stopped watching before Jughead's turn because I didn't really like him last season in the first half. He was decent in this premiere. Veronica's also alright. I don't really mind her and she has a pretty messed up family. 

I'm not really sure how I feel about this show again. I loved season 1 and hated the first half of season 2 and couldn't watch the second half. We'll see how it goes with this season.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, I decided to give this premiere a try after stopping halfway through last season (I officially stopped watching after the weird Ghost Story-esque episode). I've kind of read up on what happened here and there, but decided to see if I may watch this season.

I wasn't impressed, but I was intrigued enough to watch a few more episodes and try to get back into the show. 

Oh Archie. It's good to see that he's still just as dumb as the last time I saw him. I mean, I kind of understand what he was doing, but I felt like it was more plot contrivance. As in "we need one of our underaged teens to have a few episodes in juvie....because why not?" It WAS super dumb of Archie to say that he belonged in jail because he "could have killed someone." Everyone's capable of killing someone but that doesn't mean they all should be locked up. Plus, every single one of these characters has either tried to kill someone or has actually killed someone. Archie's probably one of the least offenses of the entire cast. But when Archie was practically screaming "I want to go to juvie", nobody seemed to be listening or trying to help.

I guess I like the core 4 still. They're mostly ok when they're together; it's when they split up that the problems really start. 

Ok, so what is it with Polly and now Alice being in a cult? Is that really the plot for this season? Ok, then. Stay true to yourself, Riverdale. 

I still think I only really like Betty, just judging from this episode. I guess I stopped watching before Jughead's turn because I didn't really like him last season in the first half. He was decent in this premiere. Veronica's also alright. I don't really mind her and she has a pretty messed up family. 

I'm not really sure how I feel about this show again. I loved season 1 and hated the first half of season 2 and couldn't watch the second half. We'll see how it goes with this season.

Yeah, I loved season one. I really honestly don’t know how long I will last this season. Probably just enough to see how much they lean in to the supernatural stuff. This show shouldn’t be a supernatural show at all so I’m hoping it’s really not going to turn into one for real. 

Also I think the show is going to run in the same problems they had last season. They already seemed to be giving the core four separate stories.. again. Bughead may be together but they both seem to be doing different things already. That was a big problem last season. And now Archie is off having a separate story in juive- that worked so well for Jughead last season when he was at south side high. So they’ve already decided to separate the group and I don’t see that going good.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Also I think the show is going to run in the same problems they had last season. They already seemed to be giving the core four separate stories.. again. Bughead may be together but they both seem to be doing different things already. That was a big problem last season. And now Archie is off having a separate story in juive- that worked so well for Jughead last season when he was at south side high. So they’ve already decided to separate the group and I don’t see that going good.

And that's a major reason why I stopped watching. Everyone was so separated that I was getting bored, especially with the seven or eight stories happening at once. I have my issues with this show, one being that 22 episodes is way too many for a show like this, as I found that season 2 lost steam halfway through. Even when I was reading recaps throughout the second half, which helped me determine whether to catch back up or not, I realized that the showrunners only have enough story for 13 episodes or so. I'm afraid that is what's going to happen here as well. How long can Archie realistically stay in juvie? I mean, realistically he just got sentenced to two years, right? But we know he's likely to get out in five or six episodes, maybe longer, which means the other characters will have their plot in trying to get him out and prove his innocence. But then Veronica has her Mob Daddy storyline, kind of interloping with the Archie stuff anyway, but I assume more drama will happen there. Jughead has his Southside Serpents story on top of the Archie stuff, and now Betty has her cult stuff on top of the Archie stuff. And then Cheryl has....something going on and she's with Toni.

Oh yeah, not to mention the other characters in the ensemble who they need to focus on.

This show has too many characters, too many plotlines, but I don't find that they're that good at wrapping things up properly. That's probably why I worry about where this season is going. This premiere set up a bit too much with too many characters already separated into their own storylines. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

And that's a major reason why I stopped watching. Everyone was so separated that I was getting bored, especially with the seven or eight stories happening at once. I have my issues with this show, one being that 22 episodes is way too many for a show like this, as I found that season 2 lost steam halfway through. Even when I was reading recaps throughout the second half, which helped me determine whether to catch back up or not, I realized that the showrunners only have enough story for 13 episodes or so. I'm afraid that is what's going to happen here as well. How long can Archie realistically stay in juvie? I mean, realistically he just got sentenced to two years, right? But we know he's likely to get out in five or six episodes, maybe longer, which means the other characters will have their plot in trying to get him out and prove his innocence. But then Veronica has her Mob Daddy storyline, kind of interloping with the Archie stuff anyway, but I assume more drama will happen there. Jughead has his Southside Serpents story on top of the Archie stuff, and now Betty has her cult stuff on top of the Archie stuff. And then Cheryl has....something going on and she's with Toni.

Oh yeah, not to mention the other characters in the ensemble who they need to focus on.

This show has too many characters, too many plotlines, but I don't find that they're that good at wrapping things up properly. That's probably why I worry about where this season is going. This premiere set up a bit too much with too many characters already separated into their own storylines. 

Omg, everything you just wrote is everything I think!!!

This show does work better in 13 episodes. It just does. The black Hood stopped making sense last season because they totally lost what they wanted to do.(I still firmly believe they never had a real end until like right before the season ended but whatever). 

Also yes, the core four have different plots going on. They may intertwine but I feel like this episode is probably our core four episode so I hope we enjoyed it.

And the show just keeps adding more and more characters to the already ensemble cast they already have. 

I know some people like the craziness of this show but for me, I can’t. It’s hard to be care about so many things going on and try to be invested. This show can be crazy, it was fun and crazy in season one but everything was connected and flowed better and intersected quite well. The stuff they are doing now doesn’t. It really does feel like they write scenes and don’t match them up to what happened previously in the episodes.

This episode was a hot mess. There were parts I did enjoy but it was so fast paced and it just set up that there’s already a lot going on and it’s only 3x01. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I still find it funny that we’re suppused to be all “Archie did good, pleading guilty, he’s so brave”.. when really he is a idiot. That’s probably what Mary and Fred we’re thinking: “why is our son an idiot?”

I wasn't thinking that Archie was brave, I was thinking that Archie felt guilty about the stuff he did (and let's be real, he did some messed up stuff) and wanted to be punished for it.  It's dumb, but it's an understandable dumb, a dumb I can like.

8 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

That’s what I’ve been saying. Like others though I feel they are doing this because of Sabrina. But as I said when Sabrina got picked up I swear I remember reading that the shows would be existing in different universes. Guess that’s changed.

I hope the supernatural element isn’t really supernatural and is more of something Betty is hallucinating. Like for some reason I’m thinking Alice and Polly got to her pills and are drugging her and making her go crazy. And cult leader Edgar told them to do this. This might be a way of them to try and gaslight her into the cult. 

They said the same thing about Arrow once upon a time. Like that show as well, I don't really mind it going supernatural, because I'm aware of it's roots.

• Love 2

Eh.. I still think Archie was dumb and I don’t really like it. And I doubt he’s going to be in juive for long.

Also I’m never going to be cool with the supernatural aspect. I don’t think the show needed it. And I don’t want a Sabrina crossover. 

Anyways. I’m going to stick with this as long as as I can or probably until they inevitably break up Bughead because they’re probably do it terribly again. We will see. I really did like this cast and i really used to like the characters.

eta: I’m seeing online now that no one else is really sharing my speculation that Alice and Polly tempered with Bettys pills, people are thinking Betty might have an Adderall addiction. Which I guess is possible. I’m still thinking it’s more Alice and Polly are drugging her because that ties into the cult more.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
2 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Exactly. Bughead, with Varchie running a close second, are the worst. Jughead needs to be in juvie and Betty needs to be permanently locked in a sanitarium.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Diapason Untuned said:

I don't dislike any of the core four, but the problem with Bughead (mostly Betty) is that they don't seem to face any consequences for their actions. At least Varchie does, a little.

Archie is going to juvie and ronnie has a dad who seems intent on ruining her life and its because of things she did ( also cuz Hiram is a madman) meanwhile Bughead have taken over a once minority led kiddie version of a street gang.. Now their "queen" is a blonde n Blue northsider and their "king" thinks he's a war time general sending out scouts and deplyoing.. That's when the two of them aren't playing junior detective and just being smarter then everyone... and even still at least jughead got his ass whipped for playing gang leader.. Y'all remember when Josie had opinions??  Y'all remember when Josie had black friends??  Y'all remember when Toni had opinions and thoughts and wasn't just around to soothe Cheryl blossom's crazy ass... Man listen

• Love 7

WhosThatGirl, I totally agree with you on the whole floating babies thing (see above) and hope Betty was either overdosed on Adderall (she said she hadn't slept a wink all summer so she's been abusing it for a while) and that she thought she saw the babies fly due to sleep deprivation induced hallucinations or, as another poster said, Polly and Alice have been messing with her meds on orders from their guru. I haven't read too much media about either show but I think keeping the streams uncrossed is by far the wiser route.

I also like Betty; I'm glad they aren't making her too flawless and have abandoned the whole Cam Girl/Dark Betty angle because that was really ill-thought out (right up there with the Miss Grundy thing). But when the teenage daughter of a serial killer who tried to murder them all is the only one pointing that out to her mother and older sister? I'm surprised she didn't start having seizures before this. I wish Jughead was more on hand: they're together and happy and frankly I am sick to death of the Serpent crap. That gang mainly consists of full grown adults who are happy being led by a sixteen year old and Hooverville-ing it in a field that doesn't  seem to belong to anybody--they can either get themselves together or rot down there, frankly. They can't even rescue their dog! They leave it to a bunch of high schoolers to face death and/or murder and assault charges! 

Archie in Juvie is, I think, the plot straw too many.  It can be hard to judge with a show where wacked-out extremism is its bread and butter, and of course they always pile on during the premiere to get their ducks in a row, but Archie being free, or only on probation, would have allowed them to hunt for evidence plus work on the cult and Gargoyle mysteries as a group. They're still so fractured, a good round of puzzle solving might have brought the group chemistry back on line.

Did anyone else not get Kevin's thing to Moose? Since when are either of them virgins? If he means they should have sex with each other, say that.

Bits from the hilarious/ludicrous buffet that is Riverdale:

The gang's reminiscing about the pond swims and how they quit "because they got covered in leeches," followed immediately by Veronica saying "I'd like to do that!" Nothing like an old fashioned bloodletting treatment, I guess! (Extra points for Betty's line "did that happen or was it a movie?")

The elaborate fans held by every female courtroom member during the trial. Nobody's using a magazine or anything and it looks like a group of Southern belles sitting out a minuet during a cotillion. Veronica's absolutely inappropriate courthouse plunged to the navel with no bra dress highlighted the absurdity.

Archie's dorktastic bow tie.  Very classic comics. Goes great with that giant tattoo that healed instantly (loved FP SLAPPING the fresh tat and Archie not even wincing!)

Cheryl strutting around in her five inch stripper platforms at the party attended by every teenager in town. How she didn't face plant is a mystery for the ages.

Cheryl and Toni on the red velvet loveseat poolside at said shindig. Plus, Toni's fantastic snakeskin bikini.

The show trying to convince us that Josie exists (lines and everything) and gives a shit about her music career--apparently she doesn't do a thing about said career during the summer months when she's got tons of free time but is going to dump the boy she likes on September third because she's such a professional during the school year? Hey, at least she was down with jury tampering?

Ronnie promptly trying said tampering and just as promptly getting shut down by the corrupt sheriff.

Mr. Lodge is taking a summer long hiatus from setting up Dark Las Vegas in the Southside to attend Archie's trial with none of his partners in crime (or former partners in crime who want him dead) taking advantage of the situation. Damn, I know it's hot out, people, but get organized!

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 9
45 minutes ago, Snookums said:

WhosThatGirl, I totally agree with you on the whole floating babies thing (see above) and hope Betty was either overdosed on Adderall (she said she hadn't slept a wink all summer so she's been abusing it for a while) and that she thought she saw the babies fly due to sleep deprivation induced hallucinations or, as another poster said, Polly and Alice have been messing with her meds on orders from their guru. I haven't read too much media about either show but I think keeping the streams uncrossed is by far the wiser route.

I also like Betty; I'm glad they aren't making her too flawless and have abandoned the whole Cam Girl/Dark Betty angle because that was really ill-thought out (right up there with the Miss Grundy thing). But when the teenage daughter of a serial killer who tried to murder them all is the only one pointing that out to her mother and older sister? I'm surprised she didn't start having seizures before this. I wish Jughead was more on hand: they're together and happy and frankly I am sick to death of the Serpent crap. That gang mainly consists of full grown adults who are happy being led by a sixteen year old and Hooverville-ing it in a field that doesn't  seem to belong to anybody--they can either get themselves together or rot down there, frankly. They can't even rescue their dog! They leave it to a bunch of high schoolers to face death and/or murder and assault charges! 

Archie in Juvie is, I think, the plot straw too many.  It can be hard to judge with a show where wacked-out extremism is its bread and butter, and of course they always pile on during the premiere to get their ducks in a row, but Archie being free, or only on probation, would have allowed them to hunt for evidence plus work on the cult and Gargoyle mysteries as a group. They're still so fractured, a good round of puzzle solving might have brought the group chemistry back on line.

Did anyone else not get Kevin's thing to Moose? Since when are either of them virgins? If he means they should have sex with each other, say that.

Bits from the hilarious/ludicrous buffet that is Riverdale:

The gang's reminiscing about the pond swims and how they quit "because they got covered in leeches," followed immediately by Veronica saying "I'd like to do that!" Nothing like an old fashioned bloodletting treatment, I guess! (Extra points for Betty's line "did that happen or was it a movie?")

The elaborate fans held by every female courtroom member during the trial. Nobody's using a magazine or anything and it looks like a group of Southern belles sitting out a minuet during a cotillion. Veronica's absolutely inappropriate courthouse plunged to the navel with no bra dress highlighted the absurdity.

Archie's dorktastic bow tie.  Very classic comics. Goes great with that giant tattoo that healed instantly (loved FP SLAPPING the fresh tat and Archie not even wincing!)

Cheryl strutting around in her five inch stripper platforms at the party attended by every teenager in town. How she didn't face plant is a mystery for the ages.

Cheryl and Toni on the red velvet loveseat poolside at said shindig. Plus, Toni's fantastic snakeskin bikini.

The show trying to convince us that Josie exists (lines and everything) and gives a shit about her music career--apparently she doesn't do a thing about said career during the summer months when she's got tons of free time but is going to dump the boy she likes on September third because she's such a professional during the school year? Hey, at least she was down with jury tampering?

Ronnie promptly trying said tampering and just as promptly getting shut down by the corrupt sheriff.

Mr. Lodge is taking a summer long hiatus from setting up Dark Las Vegas in the Southside to attend Archie's trial with none of his partners in crime (or former partners in crime who want him dead) taking advantage of the situation. Damn, I know it's hot out, people, but get organized!

I’m the person who said Polly and Alice are messing with betty meda. But I read some things on insta and people think it’s Betty overdosing. I hope it isn’t that. I hope it’s my original theory of Alice and Polly messing with her medicine to get her to think she’s going crazy.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Snookums said:

Messing with her meds is a much more Riverdale approach to things, for sure!

I think so too. Plus it seems like something a cult leader would suggest. And for some reason this season Polly hates Betty so she’s down to torture her and Alice is just all in on the cult. So. I’m surprised no one else mentioned this theory on the forums last night.

I yeah Betty could be getting high on it by taking too much but that seems too realistic for this show. 

Plus as I said this is a good way to gaslight Betty and make her go crazy and consider  joining the cult. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

I don't think Polly would abuse her meds to get high deliberately: that's way too reckless for her type A personality. I think it was more she was spending so much time on Archie's trial that she "needed to keep sharp" and every other excuse a workaholic comes up with. That would make the consequences of tolerance creep up on her and have it be much easier for Alice and Polly to fiddle with her dosage and gaslight her.

• Love 1