Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

Kalani & Asuelu: Cheeto Dust and Slut People

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, readheaded said:

I don't understand why her father thinks she's such a catch.  How does she support herself and her baby?

Because  she’s HIS daughter. It’s all about him not her. 

I think it took balls for him to apologize to her father, I think even her sister was impressed.

Edited by iwasish
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I was so annoyed by Dad's behaviour and Kalani's that I posted in Young and Restless (or Listless in this case) so I am reposting. Sorry for repetition... There's something that screams 'home schooling' or similar distancing/controlling behaviour with these parents/family. Frankly, if I were Asuelu, it would take everything in my power not to laugh at that ridiculous beard-braid. Nothing screams 'tough' like a long, skinny plait. I just don't get that dim-witted, Duggarish controlling 'dad' crap, and Asuelu needs a friendly face near him to remind him that this is HIS son and this family do not get to decide if he gets to be the father simply based on whether they like him or not. The more I hear this family's interactions, the more I am determined they are all sheltered and uneducated. Dad came to America as a teen? I am pretty sure he didn't come over for schooling. He's probably worked his butt off his entire life.

Edited by Chalby · Reason: left out some words - darn fake nails!
  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, iwasish said:

Because  she’s HIS daughter. It’s all about him not her. 

I think it took balls for him to apologize to her father, I think even her sister was impressed.

I have 3 sons, so I get that.  But objectively, she's just not a catch.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Kalani is full of shit. She rushes to defend her father because he supposedly "doesn't want his daughters to live in a paternalistic, male dominated society" like Samoa. This from a Mormon man. A religion not well known for promoting equality of the sexes. And THEN he acts like a total, domineering, controlling douche at dinner. His entire family defers to him and doesn't dare speak when he's in full cry. No one spoke up, or tried, even weakly, to defend Asuelu. Even. Kalani. Kalani knows exactly how her dear parent came off, and is trying to do damage control. 

  • Like 21

Share this post


Link to post

I have a fairly out-there theory about Kalani.  I think while she's the "baby" of the family (if not by age, then certainly by how she acts and is treated), she has always been desperate for their approval. But more for their ATTENTION.  So she goes and gets knocked up by the "type" of dude her father disapproves of.  Okay so there's her chance at attention, albeit now how she'd ideally have gotten it.  So... rebellious act gets her the attention.  By lying to her family about it all KEEPS the attention.  By going on a freakin' REALITY TELEVISION SHOW, she has attention for dayyyyyys.  

Now that shit got real and Asuelu is here and his visa is approved and omg he's HERE IN REAL LIFE... she's tired of him because he's not "fun vacation D Asuelu!" because ReSpOnSiBiLiTiEs happen, and now she wants someone (her ever-loving family) to validate her feelings of "oh shit, is it too late to back out of this?" and thereby taking all of the blame off of her when she decides "Okay, sorry Asuelu, this isn't what I had in mind, so... back to Sam-whoa! you go! I mean, sorry, it's my family's decision, what can I do????" 

Oliver will be adulting sooner than this chick will.  I don't care how much I love her hair.  She's still an idiot. Where's Anfisa to key that in her car door as a reminder?

  • Like 21

Share this post


Link to post

I don't that that theory is "out there" at ALL. I think its very likely that Kalani was always the "good girl" in her family, but her sister gets all the attention. So she went all out, got pregnant, bragged about losing her virginity, and brought home her Samoan boy toy. And yeah, she doesn't like him at all. Out of context, out of Samoa, in Southern California? He's a fish out of water and embarrasses her. She's begging her family to turn on him, forbid the wedding, and close ranks. She gets all the attention! And since she's produced the first grandchild, she'll continue to get the attention! She's a terrible, selfish, thoughtless person with no consideration of Asuelu's feelings. He was always just a means to an end. Now he's inconvenient and will be frozen out, so that Family Kalani can live happily ever after in Papa Kalani's little patriarchal family compound.

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post

Well, stick a fork in me. I should just assume from here on out that if I like someone in episode one, I'm going to hate them the most by episode three. Happened with Grangela (ep 1:  "aw, she's a little rough around the edges but she seems fun, self-aware and chill..." by ep 3: "RUN MY-KULL, RUN!!!!") and now it's happening with Kalani ???‍♀️Asuelu seems truly genuine and lost and in waaaaay over his sweet Sam-whoa country head. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

I have a fairly out-there theory about Kalani.

I don't think your theory is out-there at all. I'd say you're probably bang-on. The smirk on her face when her father was laying into poor Asuelu told me all I needed to know about her.  

 

8 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

But more for their ATTENTION.  So she goes and gets knocked up by the "type" of dude her father disapproves of.  Okay so there's her chance at attention, albeit now how she'd ideally have gotten it.  So... rebellious act gets her the attention.  By lying to her family about it all KEEPS the attention

Like a rebellious teen girl who only dates "bad boys" to stir the pot. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I've been thinking about this, and I think I finally figured it out. There was something familiar about Asuela, his voice, speech mannerisms, the ways he looks, his reactions to everyday things. Then it hit me - he's a Thermian disguised as a human! He must have been left behind on earth when the others departed. Or maybe, he's the son of Fred and Laliari.

Share this post


Link to post

Re: Kailani's asshole father...anyone who goes around with a footlong grey braid hanging down from their chin ought to shut the fuck up about anyone else's life choices, just sayin'.

And I'm still hearing my gaydar ping on Asuelu. I feel badly for him. If he is gay, I dont think there's much of a future for him in Samoa so I can totally see him trying to lead a hetero life to get by (I'm totally hypothosizing here). He is a gentle soul who just wants to walk around in his native sarong, barefoot, enjoying island life. I hate when people - particularly those who come from the same country - act like the being in the USA is the be all, end all of existence and nowhere else is worthy of living. Asuelu seems like the only one who doesn't give two shits about living in the US, it's just where his baby momma is from and where she wants to live. I think he'd be happy as a clam to have her come to Samoa and live there together. And their life would probably be ten times nicer because they'd live a lovely, simple island life, free of her family's bullshit.

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone else notice the creepy way the women act around asshole Dad? When he is in the room they look straight down --they NEVER raise their eyes or look directly at him! Even when they are speaking to him. Is this some kind of Mormon submissive thing or did he beat the crap out of them? Because they sure don't act submissive or modest when he's not around....

Edited by glitterpussy
  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

But according to Kalani, he wants his daughters to be independent, and not have to live in a male dominated, patriarchal society like Samoa! That's why he's so down on Asuelu! Uh, nope, not buying that. I bet dear old dad doesn't want either girl to marry, but to take care of him and his wife in their old age. If they work I bet they hand over their paychecks and get an allowance. Dad's attitude is not one of a man who values and respects his daughters. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I also learned from a podcast today that Kalani may have received a 'cyst and disease' (cease and desist) from production due to her recent and continuing behaviour on SM. "May" have because she is behaving as though she has, taking down stuff she's posted and switching accounts to private. She's breaking the 4th wall. Apparently said things about this last episode that include accusations that scenes with her and Asuelu outside were filmed 'months later' and such. So people who were supportive of her when she started making the accusations after the first episode are kind of dropping off due to the famewhoriness of her and her sister, who is also participating. The WORST thing they said, was that we, the audience, weren't getting to see 'the real Asuelu' and if we knew what he's like, he'd be the 'most hated man in America' or some such. I have a couple of issues with this. Firstly, THAT'S the father of your child, Oliver and your nephew, Oliver. Secondly, you brought him here. Thirdly, how is this going to help the situation in any way? 

The other problem I have with Kalani's offscreen online antics, is that she is a HELLUVA lot more articulate during these outbursts. The Kalani that defended her Dad for being portrayed as racist is nothing like the mute bundle of hair and goggling eyes fixed on the table that we've seen. So, what gives? Is Kolini the evil genius and brains behind the outfit? 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/6/2018 at 2:30 PM, glitterpussy said:

Does anyone else notice the creepy way the women act around asshole Dad? When he is in the room they look straight down --they NEVER raise their eyes or look directly at him! Even when they are speaking to him. Is this some kind of Mormon submissive thing or did he beat the crap out of them? Because they sure don't act submissive or modest when he's not around....

No. It's not some kind of Mormon thing. In my ward (parish) we are mostly academics, doctors & dentists and grad students in these programs (college town). None of the women looks down when a man comes in the room. A lot of them don't even stop talking when the bishop comes in the room. 

There are different understands of 'modest,'  I guess. Modest to me is modest speech (which I fail at, usually), dress (check), not wasting money (getting better), etc. That kind of thing. It doesn't mean walking 10 steps behind some man. Y'all need to get away from Hollywood's interpretation of Mormonism. At least for those of us outside of Utah/Idaho, life is very different from how it's betrayed on TV and in the movies. The Church is a proselytizing church. There are more LDS outside of the US now, than inside, and people bring their own cultures when they convert. Maybe the downcast eyes is a Samoan thing, not LDS. 

  • Like 12
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

There are reports that these two may have been married before the show started. Whether true or not, I don't think producers realize how much damage they did to themselves by letting the Ricky storyline slide. When Molly lied about getting married, they called her out on it, and it made for great TV! However, for whatever reason, they chose to protect Ricky, even getting a couple of his kiss-ass friends to talk about what a great guy he is. It was insulting. I mean, I get that they stage some stuff, but at least we know it's mostly real. Mo's contempt for Dani, that was REAL.  By putting out a storyline that was so completely fake, it makes the producers look a) Stupid or b) Complicit. They should have withheld his salary and made an example out of him! THAT would have been great television. Instead, they paid Ricky. Ricky made TLC his bitch!

So, were they married before? Who knows? Will we ever know? Who knows? 

Edited by CoachWristletJen
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/9/2018 at 2:14 AM, queenjen said:

I also learned from a podcast today that Kalani may have received a 'cyst and disease' (cease and desist) from production due to her recent and continuing behaviour on SM. "May" have because she is behaving as though she has, taking down stuff she's posted and switching accounts to private. She's breaking the 4th wall. Apparently said things about this last episode that include accusations that scenes with her and Asuelu outside were filmed 'months later' and such. So people who were supportive of her when she started making the accusations after the first episode are kind of dropping off due to the famewhoriness of her and her sister, who is also participating. The WORST thing they said, was that we, the audience, weren't getting to see 'the real Asuelu' and if we knew what he's like, he'd be the 'most hated man in America' or some such. I have a couple of issues with this. Firstly, THAT'S the father of your child, Oliver and your nephew, Oliver. Secondly, you brought him here. Thirdly, how is this going to help the situation in any way? 

The other problem I have with Kalani's offscreen online antics, is that she is a HELLUVA lot more articulate during these outbursts. The Kalani that defended her Dad for being portrayed as racist is nothing like the mute bundle of hair and goggling eyes fixed on the table that we've seen. So, what gives? Is Kolini the evil genius and brains behind the outfit? 

TLC needs to quit paying some of these people when they breach the contract. They can't just do whatever they want to do. Again, Ricky set a terrible precedent. He scammed TLC and we watched a horribly fake storyline, and instead of calling him out on it, TLC protected him. So, OF COURSE people in the new season are going to feel as though they can do whatever the hell they want.  TLC needs to threaten not to pay Kalani, or they need to cut her salary in half.  And, they need to sue Ricky. Otherwise this stuff is going to get worse and worse.

Kalani is no evil genius but I think it's quite likely that her biological clock was ticking and she saw a father figure in Asuelu. It was unfair to him to have sex without birth control because it set up a terrible dilemma for him.... leave the country that he knows and move in with a bunch of assholes, or never know his son! 

Kalani could have behaved completely differently with Asuelu when he came over, but she chose not to. Instead she talked about "dating Jews" and how her dad wanted her to marry a white man.  As for her "most hated man in America" accusation, I think she's throwing him under the bus again to make herself look better, just like when she accused him of cheating so she could mope around and hate on him some more with her sister.  We know she's capable of lying and throwing her man under the bus.

This is no evil genius. We see her machinations loud and clear and they are consistently despicable.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

6 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Who is Ricky, or is that a Before The 90 Days thing?  I don't watch that.

Ricky was on the season of Before the 90 Days that just ended. Read his thread there and you'll get the details. In essence, he was a fraud and TLC may have been complicit in part of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Gobi said:

Ricky was on the season of Before the 90 Days that just ended. Read his thread there and you'll get the details. In essence, he was a fraud and TLC may have been complicit in part of it.

Thanks. I don't watch that, so a lot of names and situations that come by don't really mean anything to me (Darcy, Paul, Karine, etc).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/30/2018 at 6:14 PM, gingerella said:

Asuelu IS sweet...and I also think he's gay a little bit. Maybe he doesn't know it. Maybe it's not something he can explore due to cultural norms in the Pacific Island region, but yeah, I definitely had ye ol gaydar pinging away. Not that there's anything wrong with that, there isn't, it just is another potential reason this is going to end terribly for this naive man-child. <snip>

 

I don't agree with you regarding Asuelu perhaps being gay, but even if I did, it wouldn't be as much of an issue for him in Samoa (or even in American Samoa) as you think.

In both locales, there is a recognized and accepted third gender, which encompasses both gay and transgender (male to female) men, called fa'afafine:

"Fa'afafine, as a third gender, have sexual relationships almost exclusively with men who do not identify as fa'afafine, and sometimes with women, but apparently not with other fa'afafine.

This third gender is so well-accepted in Samoan culture that most Samoans state that they have friendship relationships with at least one fa'afafine; it is, however, not totally accepted in other communities, such as some Catholic groups and traditional leaders. "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fa'afafine

 

On 10/31/2018 at 11:57 AM, shockermolar said:

<snip>

I think [Kalani is] likely the exact product of her environment - a Mormon woman expected to maintain chastity because her body is literally considered a temple in her religion, who was raised by a father who was himself raised in an extremely traditional patriarchal society.  I don't think that virginity is either essential or intended for the purpose of attracting a good husband. This is not a common concept in America, and it's not even the primary reason for Mormon chastity. <snip>

I think Kalani and her family, or at least Kalani and her sister, are MINOs (Mormons In Name Only). Why? Kalani and her sister were drinking wine, and alcoholic beverages (as well as caffeinated beverages) are strictly forbidden in the Mormon faith:

"After His Church was restored in our day, God revealed an important law called the Word of Wisdom, which is composed of inspired counsel for our physical and spiritual well-being. In it we’re advised to eat nutritious foods such as fruits, vegetables, and grains. We are also counseled to eat meat sparingly and to avoid addictive substances such as tobacco, alcohol, coffee, tea, and any other drinks or food containing harmful substances."

https://www.mormon.org/beliefs/word-of-wisdom

Edited by TwirlyGirly · Reason: Left a letter out of a word
  • Like 9
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was thinking of Kalani quitting her job and was wondering if it is normal for a Mormon woman to stop working once she is married and has a kid.  The few Mormon women I have known have been stay at home moms.  That being said, they had husbands with good jobs, and not a fiance who can't legally work in the USA!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 11/6/2018 at 2:10 PM, gingerella said:

Re: Kailani's asshole father...anyone who goes around with a footlong grey braid hanging down from their chin ought to shut the fuck up about anyone else's life choices, just sayin'.

And I'm still hearing my gaydar ping on Asuelu. I feel badly for him. If he is gay, I dont think there's much of a future for him in Samoa so I can totally see him trying to lead a hetero life to get by (I'm totally hypothosizing here). He is a gentle soul who just wants to walk around in his native sarong, barefoot, enjoying island life. I hate when people - particularly those who come from the same country - act like the being in the USA is the be all, end all of existence and nowhere else is worthy of living. Asuelu seems like the only one who doesn't give two shits about living in the US, it's just where his baby momma is from and where she wants to live. I think he'd be happy as a clam to have her come to Samoa and live there together. And their life would probably be ten times nicer because they'd live a lovely, simple island life, free of her family's bullshit.

 

I am kind of liking Asuelu too. I personally don't get a gay vibe from him, even though he openly cries and has kind of a high pitched voice. I have met people who turned out to be secretly gay or bisexual to often be the ones you would least expect :/ but, I have read that in Samoa, sexuality is more liberal, and there is even an openly accepted third gender, which is basically what we would define as "transgender" over here. 

EDIT: someone up thread already described the third gender that exist in samoan culture. 

Edited by Lily247
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/11/2018 at 8:26 PM, CoachWristletJen said:

TLC needs to quit paying some of these people when they breach the contract. They can't just do whatever they want to do. Again, Ricky set a terrible precedent. He scammed TLC and we watched a horribly fake storyline, and instead of calling him out on it, TLC protected him. So, OF COURSE people in the new season are going to feel as though they can do whatever the hell they want.  TLC needs to threaten not to pay Kalani, or they need to cut her salary in half.  And, they need to sue Ricky. Otherwise this stuff is going to get worse and worse.

Kalani is no evil genius but I think it's quite likely that her biological clock was ticking and she saw a father figure in Asuelu. It was unfair to him to have sex without birth control because it set up a terrible dilemma for him.... leave the country that he knows and move in with a bunch of assholes, or never know his son! 

Kalani could have behaved completely differently with Asuelu when he came over, but she chose not to. Instead she talked about "dating Jews" and how her dad wanted her to marry a white man.  As for her "most hated man in America" accusation, I think she's throwing him under the bus again to make herself look better, just like when she accused him of cheating so she could mope around and hate on him some more with her sister.  We know she's capable of lying and throwing her man under the bus.

This is no evil genius. We see her machinations loud and clear and they are consistently despicable.

 

On 11/11/2018 at 9:13 PM, funky-rat said:

Who is Ricky, or is that a Before The 90 Days thing?  I don't watch that.

 

On 11/11/2018 at 9:21 PM, Gobi said:

Ricky was on the season of Before the 90 Days that just ended. Read his thread there and you'll get the details. In essence, he was a fraud and TLC may have been complicit in part of it.

DAAAAMNNNNN... I just looked-up the Ricky scam thing. I heard about him having a wife, but I thought he either cheated or had an unfinalised divorce or something. I didn’t know she was in on it?!

That was painful to read about, like watching Lady Macbeth get stabbed. ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Is Asuelu mentally disabled?  He just seems so simple and out of it.   I would like to see him interact in his naive language, since it could be just a language thing I guess.

How could he ever be the most hated man in America?  What could he possibly do that would earn him that title?

I hate Kalani's hair.  Every time I see her around food, I'm like, "Pull back your hair with something!!".  Could you imagine getting one of her long-ass black hairs in your food.  GAG!!!!

Overall these people are just fucking boring.  Like a sand sandwich.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, CSS.MD said:

 

 

DAAAAMNNNNN... I just looked-up the Ricky scam thing. I heard about him having a wife, but I thought he either cheated or had an unfinalised divorce or something. I didn’t know she was in on it?!

That was painful to read about, like watching Lady Macbeth get stabbed. ?

LOL... I get carried away sometimes.  

BTW, didn't Macbeth's Lady kill herself off stage? We were spared the agony... ;) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

LOL... I get carried away sometimes.  

BTW, didn't Macbeth's Lady kill herself off stage? We were spared the agony... ;) 

LOL. Well, in Ricky’s case, Lady Macbeth was stabbed in the heart by the man she was helping run for office... ?

Didn’t see that one coming! ??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Honey said:

Is Asuelu mentally disabled?  He just seems so simple and out of it.   I would like to see him interact in his naive language, since it could be just a language thing I guess.

How could he ever be the most hated man in America?  What could he possibly do that would earn him that title?

I hate Kalani's hair.  Every time I see her around food, I'm like, "Pull back your hair with something!!".  Could you imagine getting one of her long-ass black hairs in your food.  GAG!!!!

Overall these people are just fucking boring.  Like a sand sandwich.

Yes on the hair! Long hair hanging loose around food grosses me out. Even on the food shows I cannot stand to see the hair hanging over pots and pans.  Or in a restaurant the server brings the food tray on their shoulder and their hair is all near it. I lose my appetite. 

If all Kalani wanted was a baby, why not just get knocked up by a vacation fling in a foreign country and never tell the guy? Why is she dragging this poor simple island guy here just to make him miserable? He has nothing (materially) to offer her or his son and probably won’t for a very long time. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

So Kalani posted a photo of herself and her obsequious husband at some lovely spot she found. She's holding her son. Family portrait time.

Oh, and she's breastfeeding.  I've got nothing against that, but I will say for the record: She ain't shy!

Again, it's fine for a woman to breastfeed whenever and wherever she needs to do so. However, if I were a betting person, which I am, I'd bet that Kalani was doing this for attention and to pick fights. She's standing there facing forward, no modesty cloth, nada, just letting it all hang out for the family photo. Again, that's fine, that's her choice, certainly. But because she's proven herself to be such a megabitch across situations, something tells me that when she posted that photo, she was just chomping at the bit to go on a tirade in defense of breastfeeding.  After all, we know how fake and confrontational she is!

My guess is that when it's family portrait time, the overwhelming majority of breastfeeding women prefer to put it back in. Kalani decided to let it all hang out. Again, her choice. That doesn't bother me.  What's irritating is that the whole thing seems so affected. Like, it's not even intended to be a family photo. It's a look at Kalani's boob hanging out photo and don't you dare complain or she'll put you on blast! It's not about breastfeeding. It's about Kalani feeling her testosterone and wanting to take out some of her aggressions on people.

Looks like the photo was taken down from the group I was reading. Maybe someone else will find it?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/4/2018 at 8:51 PM, iwasish said:

How does she support herself and her baby?

I am confused by Kalani - she said she quit her job to take care of Oliver and now her savings is running out.  Ya think?  Did you not plan for anything?  Oh wait.......

 

10 hours ago, iwasish said:

If all Kalani wanted was a baby, why not just get knocked up by a vacation fling in a foreign country and never tell the guy? Why is she dragging this poor simple island guy here just to make him miserable? He has nothing (materially) to offer her or his son and probably won’t for a very long time. 

I agree - go have your fling, try not to get pregnant buy hey ya did, so now what?  Just go home, have the baby and leave poor guy in Samoa.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Again, it's fine for a woman to breastfeed whenever and wherever she needs to do so. However, if I were a betting person, which I am, I'd bet that Kalani was doing this for attention and to pick fights. She's standing there facing forward, no modesty cloth, nada, just letting it all hang out for the family photo. Again, that's fine, that's her choice, certainly. But because she's proven herself to be such a megabitch across situations, something tells me that when she posted that photo, she was just chomping at the bit to go on a tirade in defense of breastfeeding.  After all, we know how fake and confrontational she is!

 

I breastfed all of mine for a year minimum. I don't care what others do. Kalani, however, I've not seen anything from the show that indicated she was doing this. I know I did see her mother with bottles for Oliver at some stage and I assumed she wasn't breastfeeding. Kalani does however seem to be spoiling for a fight and has been taking it to SM since the show started airing. Too late now, Kalani.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, queenjen said:

I breastfed all of mine for a year minimum. I don't care what others do. Kalani, however, I've not seen anything from the show that indicated she was doing this. I know I did see her mother with bottles for Oliver at some stage and I assumed she wasn't breastfeeding. Kalani does however seem to be spoiling for a fight and has been taking it to SM since the show started airing. Too late now, Kalani.

Maybe she’s trying to get under daddy’s skin by “ going native” . I hope that isn’t an offensive phrase, I just mean it as she’s trying to stick it in daddy’s face that she has gone against everything he’s told her about  “ his people” and gotten herself in the exact situation he dreaded. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, iwasish said:

Maybe she’s trying to get under daddy’s skin by “ going native” . I hope that isn’t an offensive phrase, I just mean it as she’s trying to stick it in daddy’s face that she has gone against everything he’s told her about  “ his people” and gotten herself in the exact situation he dreaded. 

That's entirely possible. There's definitely a lot of spite and anger circulating in her family! 

I tend to endorse "when in Rome." When I'm in a Muslim country, I cover up. Now, breastfeeding is culturally acceptable in the United States, but I must admit, I can't remember having seen a photo where the mother seemed to be going out of her way to "let it all hang out" the way Kalani was. She's definitely a very "in your face" type of person who looks for arguments and strife at every opportunity. 

All I could think was, if you wanna be pugnacious, go for it. Just don't bring breastfeeding into it! I expect a lengthy diatribe from her sometime soon.

She would be extremely disappointed if nobody criticized her for posing for a photo with her boob hanging out so hopefully somebody will. She'll say, "He was hungry. We couldn't wait to take the photo. Etc." Again, nothing wrong with that. If it were anyone but Kalani I would say it wasn't staged.

You see photos with moms breastfeeding. Usually they have a modesty cloth because they don't want some perv staring at them, but if they don't, usually it's like they look up for the photo with a smile, and it's just beautiful. But if the photographer says, okay you three stand in front of the Statue of Liberty, and let's do this crazy thing... usually they will wait for the kid to stop feeding if for no other reason than to get the kid's face in the photo, too. Seems like it would be easier to pose in a spiky hat without the kid hanging off of her, but hey, multitasking, right? What do I know?

Edited by CoachWristletJen
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 11/16/2018 at 11:52 PM, Honey said:

Is Asuelu mentally disabled?

I doubt it.  He's accustomed to a much slower, kinder way of life.  He's probably deeply stressed 24/7 ... and who is helping him?

On 11/16/2018 at 11:52 PM, Honey said:

He just seems so simple and out of it.   I would like to see him interact in his naive language, since it could be just a language thing I guess.

I agree...but maybe we should see him in HIS country, interacting in his language, with his family, friends, and coworkers.  He seems very sweet--even confused about what he's doing wrong.  Perhaps Kalani's father was exactly the same sweet innocent kid when he came to the states...and NOW look at him!   All agro, puffed up, protective, and a bit racist.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/6/2018 at 12:10 PM, gingerella said:

I think he'd be happy as a clam to have her come to Samoa and live there together. And their life would probably be ten times nicer because they'd live a lovely, simple island life, free of her family's bullshit.

You and Kalani should pitch this show to ABC-Disney.

GENDER NOTE:   Many Native American tribes have always recognized a third gender...and some, a fourth.

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CSS.MD said:

He seems like such a gentle soul. I hate that this is all happening to him.

I agree, he does not strike me as slow or anything, just a softie raised in a mellow culture.  I really don't think he knew about removing a baby from a car seat, he was trying to comfort the baby.  Having Kalani up front screaming did not help matters.

 

1 hour ago, CoachWristletJen said:

All I could think was, if you wanna be pugnacious, go for it. Just don't bring breastfeeding into it! I expect a lengthy diatribe from her sometime soon.

I agree - just leave breastfeeding out of it  - it is a way more hotter topic than politics, lol!!  I was modest about my nursing (I fed my second one out of my home for the first time at a county fair, I figured farm kids wouldn't stare, lol)   Plus a bottle could have breast milk in it for all we know.

 

On 11/14/2018 at 4:27 PM, lucy711 said:

I was thinking of Kalani quitting her job and was wondering if it is normal for a Mormon woman to stop working once she is married and has a kid.  The few Mormon women I have known have been stay at home moms.  That being said, they had husbands with good jobs, and not a fiance who can't legally work in the USA!

I agree, the Mormon communities (is that okay?) is a bit more conservative - fine.  I was a SAHM too.  But we could afford it.  Can they?  If they can't live on their own, which includes housing, medical, FOOD, car, utilities, then the answer is no.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

He lived in a jungle/beach his whole life in a house without walls.....I think he honestly didn't know about the carseat and I think American expectations and customs confuse him.  Kalani was driving really fast in that preview too; I hope it shows that she quickly pulls to the side of the road when she realizes the baby is out of his seat.  If she continues to drive and shriek ; then she is a problem too and dare I say a bigger problem that Asuealu.

 

I don't know if Moloni Kalani is breastfeeding or not; but I think if she was she would be mentioning it NON-STOP on the show so we know how great of a mom she thinks she is.  I have no problem with seeing breastfeeding or pictures of it( your baby needs to be fed; then feed it) ; but I think Kalani is more about attention than she is about just feeding her child.  I didn't see her picture though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

I doubt it.  He's accustomed to a much slower, kinder way of life.  He's probably deeply stressed 24/7 ... and who is helping him?

I agree...but maybe we should see him in HIS country, interacting in his language, with his family, friends, and coworkers.  He seems very sweet--even confused about what he's doing wrong.  Perhaps Kalani's father was exactly the same sweet innocent kid when he came to the states...and NOW look at him!   All agro, puffed up, protective, and a bit racist.

Yes.  He's such a sweetie, I just wanna give him a hug and tell him that not every American is like that family.  That's why when Kalani says that he'll be the most hated man in America, I can't imagine what he could possibly have done.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/6/2018 at 3:30 PM, glitterpussy said:

Does anyone else notice the creepy way the women act around asshole Dad? When he is in the room they look straight down --they NEVER raise their eyes or look directly at him! Even when they are speaking to him. Is this some kind of Mormon submissive thing or did he beat the crap out of them? Because they sure don't act submissive or modest when he's not around....

 

 

On 11/17/2018 at 9:53 AM, iwasish said:

, why not just get knocked up by a vacation fling in a foreign country and never tell the guy? Why is she dragging this poor simple island guy here just to make him miserable? He has nothing (materially) to offer her or his son and probably won’t for a very long time. 

I think they are terrified of Father Kalani. I also think Kalani stuck with Auselo because she wants to be in a relationship where she can control, rather than be controlled like she has been by her dad....... And I think it's this deep twisted dysfunction of systemic abuse and manipulation she grew up with that she is not even a bit qualified to identify and not repeat. This is going to be a disaster, and poor Auselo is going to be the pawn. ]

And PS why are they moving to Utah??????

Edited by Alonzo Mosely FBI
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

They are moving beccause Kalani quit her job and has no more savings to live on her own.  So they are moving to their parent's 2nd house so they can be under watch and control of her parents; so out of the frying pan into the fire.  She could , you know, get a job and they could find a reasonable rental or whatever , but she's not programed like that.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree, he does not strike me as slow or anything, just a softie raised in a mellow culture.  I really don't think he knew about removing a baby from a car seat, he was trying to comfort the baby.  Having Kalani up front screaming did not help matters.

Too bad there's not a huge Samoan community in the USA who could make a stink about how Asuelu is treated AND portrayed!  (I agree, Mrs. Hanson).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

To be honest it surprised me that Kalani is breastfeeding, since I had assumed that her sister and mother were doing most of the childcare or whatever. I know that when you breastfeed, if you are away from your baby for more than a couple hours you must pump, and she never mentions that  but anyway. From what I observe Kalani seems to be a really good yet reasonably laid back mother. Her mom seems laidback herself but I wish her dad wouldnt be such a jerk to Asuelo qnd maybe welcome him with open arms ... i mean, they come from the same remote place and speak the same language, it shouldn't be so hard. 

Edited by Lily247
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Honey said:

Perhaps Kalani's father was exactly the same sweet innocent kid when he came to the states...and NOW look at him!   All agro, puffed up, protective, and a bit racist.

There, I fixed that for you!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

I think they are terrified of Father Kalani. I also think Kalani stuck with Auselo because she wants to be in a relationship where she can control, rather than be controlled like she has been by her dad....... And I think it's this deep twisted dysfunction of systemic abuse and manipulation she grew up with that she is not even a bit qualified to identify and not repeat. This is going to be a disaster, and poor Auselo is going to be the pawn. ]

Yep and a little baby is in the middle of it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree, he does not strike me as slow or anything, just a softie raised in a mellow culture.  I really don't think he knew about removing a baby from a car seat, he was trying to comfort the baby.  Having Kalani up front screaming did not help matters.

 

I agree - just leave breastfeeding out of it  - it is a way more hotter topic than politics, lol!!  I was modest about my nursing (I fed my second one out of my home for the first time at a county fair, I figured farm kids wouldn't stare, lol)   Plus a bottle could have breast milk in it for all we know.

 

I agree, the Mormon communities (is that okay?) is a bit more conservative - fine.  I was a SAHM too.  But we could afford it.  Can they?  If they can't live on their own, which includes housing, medical, FOOD, car, utilities, then the answer is no.

This is what I don't get.  If Kalani was the breadwinner and she quit her job, they have no means of supporting themselves and their baby.  I am a SAHM and love it, but it was a major decision to make, and we only did it after carefully considering our finances.  It's totally fine to get some help from one's parents, but it would seem as if they would have to rely on her parents for literally everything.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, doyouevengohere said:

They are moving beccause Kalani quit her job and has no more savings to live on her own.  So they are moving to their parent's 2nd house so they can be under watch and control of her parents; so out of the frying pan into the fire.  She could , you know, get a job and they could find a reasonable rental or whatever , but she's not programed like that.

Kalani sounded so smug when she announced that she quit her job. I mean, she's telling the world that she's done something completely asinine, and she's stating it with an air of hauteur. Like you just did something stupid, don't feel so superior about it!

Speaking of talking down to others, Kalani and her sister pretty much talk down to everyone, like, all the time. For whatever reason, they both express everything in a smug, condescending tone of voice regardless of how they are feeling at the time.  

Why do people talk like that? What makes them that way?

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree, he does not strike me as slow or anything, just a softie raised in a mellow culture.  I really don't think he knew about removing a baby from a car seat, he was trying to comfort the baby.  Having Kalani up front screaming did not help matters.

I’m not saying what Asuelo was right, but I’m sure he meant well.

It’s not like he smothered the baby with a pillow to muffle the crying!

And Ms. Orange Fingers has no business yelling like that, that was over-the-top. ? She could’ve just pulled-over and gave him a sane lecture. But noooo, Ms. I-Eat-Cheetos-While-Driving couldn’t even keep her eyes on the road while she was screaming at the top of her lungs... ? (Now THAT scared the hell out of me!)

WOMAN LOOK IN YOUR REAR-VIEW MIRROR, YOU’RE EATING CHEETOS WHILE DRIVING YOURSELF!!!! SMDH. ??‍♀️

Edited by CSS.MD
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size