Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

I think Colt is more self aware and in on the joke than people realize. He quoted the Simpsons and Psycho, he made the Christ the Redeemer comment, and he seems to be able to say no to Larissa and is not a pushover.

I actually kinda love that he didn't cave to the flowers as they were walking by.  I wouldn't mind flowers myself once in awhile but it does kind of drive me crazy when these people show up at the airport with flowers, gives the person arriving said flowers, and then the flowers end back up in the givers hands- AND going to the same house. Like you just brought all that stuff for nothing.. you could have saved yourself some hassle and left it at the house.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

He really does I don't know why she wanted him to shave.   With the clean face and man boobs he looks like someone that's transitioning.

To me, a transgender person, he looks like someone who is paunchy and soft.  

• Love 13

The "cornbread" looked more like Johnnycakes, which are also known as (I am not making this up), Hoecakes.  They are made with cornmeal, but they are not cornbread.  Also, bringing in fried chicken from Popeye's or Publix or Hardee's or another local place is often done as the centerpiece of a communal meal.  

I like Fernanda too, especially when she started imitating their accents!  The rest of the couples...I don't know, y'all.  They're trainwreck-y but not as entertaining, somehow?

• Love 5
8 hours ago, PityFree said:

I thought it was really strange of Eric to make breakfast burritos.  I mean, it’s great that he cooks, but they’re from Indonesia and I’m sure that little boy was not used to eating anything that was served for that particular breakfast.  I wonder if Eric bothered to ask Leida what kind of food he should buy ahead of time so that she and her son would have something familiar to eat. 

It might have been better to take them all out to breakfast— to a place where at least they would be some options to select from. After all, Eric treats himself to breakfast out every morning—why not his new bride and her family?

In all fairness, Allessandro did clean his plate.  The poor kid was probably hungry because G.I. Cheapo probably didn’t spring for dinner.  Peanuts on the plane may have been all they got.  

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, SevenCostanza said:

I agree he is paunchy and soft.   I wasn't saying it in a negative way and if that's how it seemed I apologize. 

I didn't regard your observation as negative.   I was just offering an alternate view.

• Love 2

Open the car windows in Las Vegas heat doesn't help at all. It's just like blowing hot hairdryer in your face. No, thank you. AC there  is not even a luxury it's basic necessity.

The girl from Russia was definitely here as seasonal summer worker. There is a program for students especially from eastern Europe to come to USA for 3 months in summer. They are mostly employed as lifeguards at pools and in summer jobs in areas like Ocean City. Young Americans don't want these jobs anymore so they bring people here from less affluent countries. When I worked in Target I was extremely surprised to hear my language one night and it turned out there were guys who were working as lifeguards in daytime and night shift in backroom in Target from my home country. Not sure if the last few years they are still able to get additional jobs but they still come on special visa for strictly summer jobs.

Edited by ava111
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, millennium said:

To me, a transgender person, he looks like someone who is paunchy and soft.  

Totally paunchy and soft. Like if you were to touch him it would be all doughy. I doubt he would pay for a gym membership. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, usernameG said:

Totally paunchy and soft. Like if you were to touch him it would be all doughy. I doubt he would pay for a gym membership. 

They might be on the specific couple thread, but I saw pics of a younger, slimmer Colt.  Totally standard boy body.  He's just put on weight weird.  And his weak chin is so much better with facial hair.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

They might be on the specific couple thread, but I saw pics of a younger, slimmer Colt.  Totally standard boy body.  He's just put on weight weird.  And his weak chin is so much better with facial hair.

It's like his booty spread from sitting on it in front of his computer too much. He looked way better with facial hair. 

Edited by usernameG
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, Owwwww ma leg said:

Fabulous! I just saw the preview for next week and I feel bad for Aseulo. He is never going to be good enough. Kalanis  Dad reminds me of mine, intimidating and lacking compassion

I think Oz-whale-o seems like a nice guy.  

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, ava111 said:

Open the car windows in Las Vegas heat doesn't help at all. It's just like blowing hot hairdryer in your face. No, thank you. AC there  is not even a luxury it's basic necessity.

The girl from Russia was definitely here as seasonal summer worker. There is a program for students especially from eastern Europe to come to USA for 3 months in summer. They are mostly employed as lifeguards at pools and in summer jobs in areas like Ocean City. Young Americans don't want these jobs anymore so they bring people here from less affluent countries. When I worked in Target I was extremely surprised to hear my language one night and it turned out there were guys who were working as lifeguards in daytime and night shift in backroom in Target from my home country. Not sure if the last few years they are still able to get additional jobs but they still come on special visa for strictly summer jobs.

The girl from Russia and the 20 year old kid...how sad. His father died when he was 7. His mother kicked him out when he was 16, he's been bouncing around,  in trouble , relying on his toothless grandparents, and now he's going to be a father...and he wants to be a "good" father...I just feel bad for this kid.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, gunderda said:

I actually kinda love that he didn't cave to the flowers as they were walking by.  I wouldn't mind flowers myself once in awhile but it does kind of drive me crazy when these people show up at the airport with flowers, gives the person arriving said flowers, and then the flowers end back up in the givers hands- AND going to the same house. Like you just brought all that stuff for nothing.. you could have saved yourself some hassle and left it at the house.

Not to mention that after asking, wheedling and outright begging for them, wouldn't you feel like it wasn't a very meaningful gift?  "Oh, all RIGHT already; here are the flowers! Now shut up!"

• Love 12

I think Asuelu's very sweet. And Khalani does not want to marry him. She has has major second thoughts. He was fine for a vacation hookup, but here in California? He's an embarrassment to her. She's going to passive aggressively find fault with everything he says and does. She'll shame him for his lack of worldliness and be mortified by him. She'll roll her eyes when he jokes around or takes joy in anything. ("Honey, you're just so loud!") She's already turned her family against him. She wants him gone. She knows that he wants to try and make a go of it with her and be a father to their son, so she has to hope that the collective charm and warmth of her family (ha!), along with her constant criticism and corrections will drive him away. Then she can be a heroic single mother and talk smack about her horrible ex. 

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 24
1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I think he's very sweet. Khalani does not want to marry him. She has has major second thoughts. He was fine for a vacation hookup, but here in California? He's an embarrassment to her. She's going to passive aggressively find fault with everything he says and does. She'll shame him for his lack of worldliness and be mortified by him. She'll roll her eyes when he jokes around or takes joy in anything. ("Honey, you're just so loud!") She's already turned her family against him. She wants him gone. She knows that he wants to try and make a go of it with her and be a father to their son, so she has to hope that the collective charm and warmth of her family (ha!), along with her constant criticism and corrections will drive him away. Then she can be a heroic single mother and talk smack about her horrible ex. 

He seemed to be okay...I think his airport dance was staged and totally stupid, but he seemed to be genuinely happy to be with his baby son. I hope Klani doesn't treat him badly because that would be sad for the baby.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, sconstant said:

I  was thinking of giving odds that that house was an AirB&B also just for the soulless anonymity of the furnishings.  Also noticed a big decoration in the foyer was a basket with a bag of chips and a package of goldfish crackers.  Which I found weird, but kept thinking must just be a hostess gift / chip in from one of the guests.  (Also: Jon and Fernanda - bring a hostess gift.)

I seriously doubt that couple owned the house...I mean their 30 something batchelor buddy just bought a little ranch on 1/10 acre and doesn't have a bed yet, but his friends own a Mcmansion with a curving staircase and a dining room complete with plates and silverware to accomodate a dinner party of 12....

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I think Asuelu's very sweet. And Khalani does not want to marry him. She has has major second thoughts. He was fine for a vacation hookup, but here in California? He's an embarrassment to her. She's going to passive aggressively find fault with everything he says and does. She'll shame him for his lack of worldliness and be mortified by him. She'll roll her eyes when he jokes around or takes joy in anything. ("Honey, you're just so loud!") She's already turned her family against him. She wants him gone. She knows that he wants to try and make a go of it with her and be a father to their son, so she has to hope that the collective charm and warmth of her family (ha!), along with her constant criticism and corrections will drive him away. Then she can be a heroic single mother and talk smack about her horrible ex. 

Kalahni is probably feeling ashamed.  He might be simple village man from Samoa, but she literally has nothing in USA going for her.  If going by the fact she had to get an Air BnB......what 30 year old woman doesn’t have furniture? The mom is always there looking after the baby.

She got pissy at him opening closets because they are probably empty. ? 

She is also freaking huge. Maybe some hang ups there as well. 

In Samoa, she was the beautiful American Samoan first world girl.......now, he is here and will see the way she lives.

She better  snap out of it because the girl already warned her at the airport if she doesn’t want him.....she will take him!

There is also pressure because she has to provide financially for him here and their son.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, gunderda said:

Colt is most surely a dolt, but I am okay with him not buying her flowers.  My husband is not on the spectrum and moved out of his parent's house at 23, but he is not the type of guy who buys me flowers.  I love him and is a great husband and father, but he is not romantic. If I were arriving like Larissa did, he wouldn't have flowers because it would not have dawned on him.  And if I complained, he certainly wouldn't buy it because then he would think that the gesture meant nothing since I had to wine for him to buy them.  Obviously I'm okay with all of this but someone like Larissa would not be.  In that case, she needs to walk away.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, millennium said:

Meanwhile, a Girl Scout came by to sell me some cookies.   I ordered some Samwas.    She walked away confused.

LOL...I think I love you. 

4 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

We need a Central PA 90DF Watch Party! 

don't forget to report on the bar you're visiting to check on Ashley. 

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, Deafening Roar said:

In my opinion Fernanda is young but she seems to be wise beyond her young years, or it could be that I'm comparing her to Jonathan's immature but older than her friends.

Who TF sits down at a first dinner/meeting of a supposed great friend's soon to be MEXICAN fiance and starts the conversation with Trump's Wall talk?! And then to add insult to injury, proceeds to tell her how her people are criminals and taking jobs?

They were very rude and disrespectful to her and Jonathan should damn well be ashamed of himself for not shutting that sh*t right down.

She handled herself well but that was one heck of a welcome to America dinner. 

Unacceptable. Poor girl. She has more couth than any of those people sitting at that table, including her fiance!

I know, I know...but that "poor" girl let some 30+ year old guy pay for her breast implants.  And obviously the whole conversation was somewhat scripted.  Ecck..I don't like either one of them so far!

• Love 8

Unfortunately being from the south, actually neighbor of NC, I don't think that conversation was scripted at all. That is the opinion of a lot of ppl from here and that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion and support of Trump and his wall, but that just wasn't the time or place to discuss any of that.

Buying her breasts has nothing to do with letting his friends be assholes to her. 

• Love 16
13 minutes ago, Rdh1314 said:

I know, I know...but that "poor" girl let some 30+ year old guy pay for her breast implants.  And obviously the whole conversation was somewhat scripted.  Ecck..I don't like either one of them so far!

I’m sure Jonathan has been bragging to all of his friends about how he bought her new “boobies.” So Fernanda was sitting there at dinner and they all know she has new fake boobs. Jon is gross.

Edited by PityFree
Typos
  • Love 15
10 minutes ago, Rdh1314 said:

‘When I first met Fernanda I didn’t know she was only 18’. - yeah right Jonathon.  

I agree with the previous poster that said the underwear probably belongs to Jonathon.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Deafening Roar said:

Unfortunately being from the south, actually neighbor of NC, I don't think that conversation was scripted at all. That is the opinion of a lot of ppl from here and that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion and support of Trump and his wall, but that just wasn't the time or place to discuss any of that.

Buying her breasts has nothing to do with letting his friends be assholes to her. 

Exactly! Besides, who in their right mind would go along the so call scripted segment perpetuating stereotypes and bigotry if you don’t feel that way already!? There’s no way in hell I’d go a long with any bigoted script, because that is a complete 180 from my beliefs and feelings. 

Those “bless her heart” type of assholes are the worst kind of hypocrites! 

• Love 18

Leida’s family probably doesn’t have that kind of money for a $500/night hotel room in Manhattan. My cousin worked for the State Department and was stationed in Pakistan (pre-Sept 11th when she was airlifted out of there with her young daughter, dog and two cats - and eventually ended up on my doorstep in DC). On her State Department salary she basically had a compound with a cook, housekeeper, handyman and gardener with a pony for my niece. With her salary in the US (DC) she’d be lucky to have an OK two-bedroom apartment with a maid service every two weeks. 

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

That was straight up racist, and like you, you couldn't get me to say shit like that. Producer: "Okay, at the dinner, we want you to tell Fernanda that Mexicans are taking jobs from Americans." Me: "No." What are the producers going to do, fire me? Not give me a friend-of talking head? 

Exactly. The fact that his friends didn't realize how they would sound making those types of comments says it all. They were very rude to Fernanda!

• Love 9

I met a few Samoans in the military before my husband retired. They all pronounced it Samwa. I wonder if it a regional thing maybe. I also think I have heard The Rock pronounce it Samwa. (In an interview. I dont know The Rock.)

• Love 12
5 hours ago, Rebky said:

I thought maybe I had been mispronouncing it my entire life.  Then Asuelo pronounced it SahMOHah and I knew Kalani was just saying it wrong (why - I don't know).

Also I think he's an attention hog - I would have been horrified at that performance at my local airport and probably would have headed for the restroom.

Maybe Asuelo is pronouncing it in “American” and Kalani is using the Samoan pronunciation...In the Samoan language, each vowel has a long and short value, and the name for the country has a line over the first “a” indicating it should be given more emphasis/longer sound than a regular “a”

Found on the interwebs:

The Alphabet

The Samoan alphabet looks like this:

A E I O U F G L M N P S T V H K R

Each of the vowels has a short and a long sound. The long sound is marked by a line above the vowel, called a macron (or fa'amamafa).

A a»say 'cup'  Ā ā»say 'car'

E e»say 'leg' Ē ē»say 'rain'

I i»say 'pick' Ī ī»say 'bee'

O o»say 'hot' Ō ō»say 'dough'

U u»say 'put' Ū ū»say 'sue'

Here’s an audio guide for the Samoan language pronunciation https://forvo.com/word/sāmoa/

Of Course there is a “correct” way to pronounce place names in every language - In Italian Paris is actually Parigi, (I long ago helped several clueless backpackers who were about to miss their train to Paris)  and in French, London is Londres, and of course very few (pretentious?) people speaking English here would say “Paree” for Paris...

Sorry for the lesson, but I love learning about languages!

• Love 11
14 hours ago, arc918 said:

If Colt can't afford a car with A/C, how on earth can he handle the financial side of the K-1 Visa?

Same with breakfast burrito Eric. 

I've been wondering the same thing since Season 1.  Based on the fact that seemingly "simple folks" like Danielle, Nicole and Paul have somehow managed to navigate the system, I don't believe it's very expensive, or overly complicated. Not to mention, some of the Americans were unemployed, broke and/or living with family and friends.

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, KateHearts said:

Did they identify themselves as Christians? I'm not sure why Christians as a general group are lumped into the hateful/gun-totin'/racist territory.

I make that jump because of experiences that I have had in Florida, Georgia, Mississippi and South Carolina with self identified Christians who think that gay marriage is wrong, black people aren't as capable, everyone should speak English and nothing should be printed in other languages, Halloween is pagan, etc. However you are exactly right that I shouldn't lump everyone into the same category. Thank you for checking me as I a trying to be less of an asshat each day. 

• Love 22
2 hours ago, RichiesOlderBro said:

I agree that Khalani doesn’t want to marry Asuela.  She just doesn’t act like she is in love with Asuela.   I bet her family is forcing her to marry him so she’s not a broke unmarried single mother. Why else would she make sure everyone in her family doesn’t like him?

I would also bet that this was not the first vacation she lost her virginity on.  

But the first time she brought home a souvenir as a result.

• Love 19
5 hours ago, sconstant said:

I  was thinking of giving odds that that house was an AirB&B also just for the soulless anonymity of the furnishings.  Also noticed a big decoration in the foyer was a basket with a bag of chips and a package of goldfish crackers.  Which I found weird, but kept thinking must just be a hostess gift / chip in from one of the guests.  (Also: Jon and Fernanda - bring a hostess gift.)

I saw that too.  But I was transfixed by the "statue" in the foyer. It was just kind of.....there.  I guess that's what you put in a little curved alcove when the world has run out of potted plants.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Horrified said:

I saw that too.  But I was transfixed by the "statue" in the foyer. It was just kind of.....there.  I guess that's what you put in a little curved alcove when the world has run out of potted plants.

My money is on it being resin.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

I make that jump because of experiences that I have had in Florida, Georgia, Mississippi and South Carolina with self identified Christians who think that gay marriage is wrong, black people aren't as capable, everyone should speak English and nothing should be printed in other languages, Halloween is pagan, etc. However you are exactly right that I shouldn't lump everyone into the same category. Thank you for checking me as I a trying to be less of an asshat each day. 

I'm not a gambler but if I were, I would bet the house you are right on the money with your assumption of them being self proclaimed Christians.

Just from looking, I'd also bet everyone sitting at that table, aside from Fernanda, are "Christians"

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

What did Anfisa say? "Show me your friends so you can show me who you are..." Fernanda should watch herself. The food did look storebought, with the kind of money they have you think they would have catered the event.

production probably said "Hey we have a budget for this! Go to Publix real quick!" and like a Top Chef challenge, only gave them like $100.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, usernameG said:

It's like his booty spread from sitting on it in front of his computer too much. He looked way better with facial hair. 

He has the body of someone who eats a lot of processed foods. I read somewhere that too much soy, heavily present in processed food, causes awkward weight gain in the chest area. I doubt he eats a healthy home cooked meal every night.

• Love 3