Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

27 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Watch “Unexpected”.... it’s not a pretty sight.

I watch every Sunday after 90 Day and can not get through an episode. 90 Days is a train wreck but Unexpected is so incredibly sad.

• Love 6

As usual, I go from wondering if the Americans are being scammed to feeling sorry for foreign spouse.

Larissa might be a bit repetitive - but she is the one leaving everything behind. I don't think they thought to give her a place of her own in the house, where she gets some privacy and can make her own. The guy doesn't even want to greet her with something sweet, or care about her comforts at all. Most of the other people, who lived with friends or family, at least spent a few nights in a hotel with their newly arrived fiancé. I hope Larissa finds someone who wants to take care of her as well.

Aseulo - I can't give more than the wonderful posts about him. He is in his early 20s, without a formal education. He needs support and love. Her parents should be like his parents. Their daughter (who is old enough to know better) made her life choices, and now they are going to punish this guy for it. Sadly, one of two things will likely happen, either he will go back, essentially being forced to abandon his son, or he will lead a beaten life. I have seen a husband who ended up in that life, and it is heartbreaking. I doubt the father would tolerate his daughter being treated that way at her in-laws, so what makes this behavior okay?

Fernanda - Even I bristled up at the mention of the wall. Really? A young person perpetuating this lie that an entire country are criminals? And after all the mass shootings we have had in this country? It made me upset for her. Why not ask her normal questions - what does she like, what will she miss the most about home, what do you recommend for her in your are, etc. And I agree with all of you that his female friends are all jealous. Not only did he not want any of you, and not only are you losing your place in your "hot" friend's life, but his future wife is lovely, kind, and articulate. She might be immature, but she is also only 19. 

Leida - I actually now believe she is from a wealthier family. Their accents was enough to tell me that - it sounds like they went to English schools, and possibly spent time abroad (maybe in Australia). They may have even gone their for university. Plus I doubt that her man (forgot his name) sprung for 3 plane tickets. She is in for a huge surprise when she is expected to scrub toilets. I hope her parents don't send her an essentially indentured servant. 

• Love 19
6 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Eric "my only choices in life were fight ISIS or get a mail-order bride" puzzles me. Does he have a job? They 100% stayed in PA because he can't afford two hotel rooms in the NYC area, and he had her fly into NYC because he didn't want to show her how he lives right off the bat.

Maybe I missed it but it looked like his showing them NYC was driving by really quickly....and Leida and her sister frantically taking pictures from the back of the car.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

Poor Schmuck and his Indonesian princess, send her and her family home. You will never be able to provide her enough luxury to keep her happy. She asks for a maid right out of the gate. Looks around the cabin like she’s living in a hovel. If she said “proper” one more time I was going to throw something at the TV. STFU!!

15 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Leida, why is your sister with you? Is Eric getting two for the price of one? Where are you all going to fit? New York City hotel rooms are expensive. Surely as someone wealthy, you could spring for a couple of $500 per night rooms for your folks.

24 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I think he confused cabin with condo, a very outdated one I might add

Her sister is there to keep her in line.  I'm sure she's done it before.  And they're not in a cabin.  I live in PA.  That's more like a vacation rental townhome.  Ones you find at timeshares that also do rentals, like Shawnee Village or Fernwood Resort. Both are not far from the New York/PA line.  Many of them were built in the late 80's/early 90's, and were extremely popular at one time.  But like anything else in that area, sadly they have fallen out of favor.

13 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Asuelu (I don't have the heart to give him a nickname) is shaping up to be a tragic figure.

This is a 23 yr old man from a tropical island with a gentle climate, a house that needs no walls, near a beautiful beach, and accustomed to a routine of gathering firewood, cleaning up coconuts, feeding pigs, and I guess working at the resort where he met and wooed 30 yr old Stale Virgin Kalani and knocked her up (see my earlier rant about sex education). He is young, simple, with a carefree, upbeat demeanor. There is something very likeable and touching about him.

The moment he greets Kalani at the airport, with his joyous Samoan slap dance and song, their worlds clash as, rather than being appreciative, she winces in embarrassment. He says in the talking head "I feel so happiness - I wanted to make her feel proud of me" while she looks on with a condescending expression on her face. Kalani's attitude was not lost on one of the women watching Asuelu's greeting: "If things don't work out with her, call me!" - even passers-by can see from a distance that this isn't going to work out.

Driving the point home of how far apart their worlds are, he wants to carry on in the airport and in the car bare-footed. He finds the streets too wide (it's true!) and is frightened of fast driving.

However, meeting his son, he is right at home, holding him, smiling, playing with him. This man has a good and kind heart.

But he is up against insurmountable odds.

• Kalani: "I'm going to have to teach him how to act in the USA"
  • Kalani's father: "Rule number one, disrespect my daughter and you will have issues."
  • Kalani: "I've been without support, he's going to have to contribute"
  • Kalani's mother expects him to fulfill the role of father and provider... in America.
  • Kalani's sister has been told he's a cheater.

They have laid down the rules and expectations of upper middle class American life that he will be required to fulfill quickly, or else.

How on Earth will he even be able to even come close? The world he left behind is irreconcilably different.

"Kalani's family don't like me" he says softly, breaking my heart.

He's going to get eaten alive here.  I feel badly for him.

12 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

That sign is really lame. That's what he decided he should show her?

She said that she wanted to see it, and he took her there.

6 hours ago, Kangatush said:

Leida:  Do you have any idea how insanely hard it is for a foreign trained doctor to practice in the US?  And we're talking people who were specialized surgeons in their countries, not faded beauty queens who dabbled in medicine without ever practicing.

My husband's psychiatrist was heavily credentialed in India.  He worked at McDonald's when he first got here while he waited for everything to switch over.

4 hours ago, gunderda said:

Was Daya from Indonesia too?  I remember someone saying that where ever Daya is from, they speak pretty fluent English which is always so surprising to me.  And Lieda even seemed to have an australian accent sometimes? 

Daya was from the Philippines.

4 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

**I accidentally deleted her comments about Colt's car**

He's driving a KIA Spectra.  It's the late 2004 model, or newer.  I had the early 2004 model - they made changes halfway through the model year, and the later ones look a little different.  That car has known A/C issues, and the fix is not quick or easy - it involves ripping the dashboard out.  I had an extended warranty and they fixed it, but when they put the dash back on, they didn't re-glue it around the instrument panel, and the dash lifted, and it looked terrible for the last few years I had it.  I sold it 2 years ago for $800.  It had about 120,000 on it, and still ran well - it just had lots of rust from salty PA winters.

3 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

So just how far removed from civilization is Samwa?  Because I was not expecting Asuelo to be fascinated by things like buildings and doors.  And for the record, I would have had the same kind of horrified, second-hand embarrassment Kalani had at his dancing, but the difference is that I wouldn't have let him know it.  He wasn't trying to be an asshole, he wanted to impress her.  No need to crush his spirit.

It's natural to somewhat feel that way about something that you weren't expecting and weren't familiar with - especially with the gawkers who were filming it in the background.  However, she reacted poorly.  Very poorly.

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

The reason I find her so dislikable is that she has lied to garner sympathy from her family... then is befuddled that they don't like the guy she has painted as a cheater (and who also "stole her virginity." I think her family is close-knit and adhere to strict Mormon principles- her dad at least- and they are protective and of course will take her side if she tells them he was unfaithful. I don't blame the sister for being upset and confused, literally hours before the Bad Guy is supposed to land in America - and she's kicked her sister and nephew out over the LIE that Sister told her about him.

I wonder how kelani's mom's family treated kelani's dad when they got together. I wonder if they were slow to accept him or if they ever did. 

21 minutes ago, Dance4Life said:

Maybe production is paying for this Air BnB. It is like a whole house!

That's what Air BnBs are - people's whole houses they rent when they are not there.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, usernameG said:

I watch every Sunday after 90 Day and can not get through an episode. 90 Days is a train wreck but Unexpected is so incredibly sad.

re: Unexpected --- same here.  I tried to watch last night and got thru about half an hour before thinking it's a Discount Teen Mom mixed with a Lisa Ling "This Is Life" documentary.  And I also realized I could change the channel.  Egads that show's bad/sad.  :(

• Love 5
5 hours ago, PityFree said:

He has very feminized features.

Maybe Colt grew a beard because he thought it would make him appear more masculine. He had a beard in the photos of when they met, maybe the airport scene was the first time Larissa had seen him without one, and afterwards she was sorry that she made him shave it. And the almost dainty eyeglass frames don't help! 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, not you again said:

I also wonder if Kalani thinks saying "Samwa" is Fancy/Classy and the show is letting it go for the lols.

It's a bit embarrassing watching Asuelo pronounce Samoa as "Sam-o-a," when clearly he should be saying "Samwa."   You would think people from Samoa would know how to say the word.

• Love 19
10 minutes ago, usernameG said:

Maybe I missed it but it looked like his showing them NYC was driving by really quickly....and Leida and her sister frantically taking pictures from the back of the car.

Yeah, whatever sights they saw were in the car on the way from the airport. Honestly, I think he'd have been better off just ripping off the Bandaid and bringing her to WI right off the bat. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

The way his mother drives him everywhere, I'm starting to think he doesn't have a driver's license for some reason.

As mentioned above he was driving to the airport, but in that scene I notice they both had their seat belt shoulder harnesses smushed up under their boobs/moobs. Safety first, kids as Mother would warn. I love their Brangelina name Dolt BTW! 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

The house of his friends did not look like the house of any 30 something's. Very nice but.... traditional older people furniture, formal dining room, perfect dinnerware, heavy drapes on the windows. I wonder if that was really their friends house or one of the friend's parents house.

I did love the floral centerpiece! But you're right, that was somebody's parents' house. 

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

It's natural to somewhat feel that way about something that you weren't expecting and weren't familiar with - especially with the gawkers who were filming it in the background.  However, she reacted poorly.  Very poorly.

Thinking about her smug eye-rolling and her b-face, and more of her eye-rolling afterward, and then how she had to say she HATED it in the confessional, I realized how doomed this marriage would be. Still, he's virile and much younger and some young woman here is going to snap him up in a year or two. Let him find a sweet woman who would be thrilled to have him working for her dad's landscaping business.

Meanwhile 30-year-old virgin, once divorced, will stay single for a loooong time!

Not sure what's up with the Seven Little Johnstons... last week or so's commercial I saw it appeared they might have set their house on fire and gone running out of it. Things seem back to normal this week, however.

Edited by CoachWristletJen
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, eatsleep said:

That's what Air BnBs are - people's whole houses they rent when they are not there.

Hahahahaha!  Yes, I meant like she is using it like a regular rental.

Providing her son with a roof is not her priority. That baby deserves better.

Probably  doesn’t qualify for a regular Lease.  Bad credit? Bad rental history?  No job?  

What is her deal????

• Love 4
10 hours ago, endure said:

Samwa, samwa? I kept hearing that said in regard to Asuelo by Kalani & her Mum finally realizing it was Samoa lol.  I couldn’t imagine leaving there to move to the States and cannot see him being happy in the US.  I wonder if they are even in love or just the parents of the baby?

Yes so funny because every time she said "sam-wah" it reminded me people who try and class up Target with Tar-jay. 

• Love 14

Trying to figure out this whole Colt/Mama Colt dynamic.  I really wonder if he is a software engineer, maybe something along those lines but clearly he isn't making big money. Does he or mom own that house they are living in or renting ? It should be against the law not to have working a/c in a car in Vegas.  I also wonder when Colt moved up to a big boy bed ? Maybe when Momma Deb moved her twin bed out of his room ? I think Larissa is in for a rude awakening, he comes across as a cheap guy.

My new favorite after last night is Fernanda, ( although I am likely to change my mind at any time ) 

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, Dance4Life said:

Hahahahaha!  Yes, I meant like she is using it like a regular rental.

Providing her son with a roof is not her priority. That baby deserves better.

Probably  doesn’t qualify for a regular Lease.  Bad credit? Bad rental history?  No job?  

What is her deal????

Oh, I see what you mean! Yeah, how can she feel settled in an Air BnB? But then it doesn't quite make sense that her sister just threw her and the baby out in the street and made them scramble for anything they could find. it would have added a lot of natural drama and hijinks if the two sisters, the baby and Asuelu all lived under the one roof. 

• Love 1

Am I the only one who thinks Leida is generally full of shit?  Really, a doctor/actress/model? Come on.  She sold him a lemon, and her family is happy that maybe they can dump her entitled, sorry butt in America. The only tough part is the adorable son (who uncomplainingly ate the entire "breakfast burrito," which looked more like eggs and sausage to me).  

I do think Colt has a lot of Aspergers tendencies; he's very literal ("she wanted to see the Vegas sign; I showed her the Vegas sign.  I did the right thing." ) The mommy issue is disturbing and Mother doesn't seem to have a clue as to how totally incestuous the entire thing seems ("we've been together a long time now...")  I would love to know how Father fit into the whole dynamic.

Seems not many of the contestants have jobs this season.  Skater kid didn't really say did he? I just heard that he dropped out of High School and flops at friends' houses when Granny (who had the most giant denim jacket I've ever seen) can't tolerate him anymore. Kalani? No mention that I recall of a job. Ashley? Hmm. Not sure how she finances her two children (where are they??) and her self-defense classes, not to mention trips to Jamaica. 

Edited by KateHearts
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, endure said:

Samwa, samwa? I kept hearing that said in regard to Asuelo by Kalani & her Mum finally realizing it was Samoa lol.  I couldn’t imagine leaving there to move to the States and cannot see him being happy in the US.  I wonder if they are even in love or just the parents of the baby?

I keep hearing shawarma, the middle eastern meat dish...and salivating!

1 minute ago, KateHearts said:

Am I the only one who thinks Leida is generally full of shit?  Really, a doctor/actress/model? Come on.  She sold him a lemon, and her family is happy that maybe they can dump her entitled, sorry butt in America. The only tough part is the adorable son (who uncomplainingly ate the entire "breakfast burrito," which looked more like eggs and sausage to me).  

I do think Colt has a lot of Aspergers tendencies; he's very literal ("she wanted to see the Vegas sign; I showed her the Vegas sign.  I did the right thing." The mommy issue is disturbing and Mother doesn't seem to have a clue as to how totally incestuous the entire thing seems ("we've been together a long time now...")  I would love to know how Father fit into the whole dynamic.

Seems not many of the contestants have jobs this season.  Skater kid didn't really say did he? I just heard that he dropped out of High School and flops at friends' houses when Granny (who had the most giant denim jacket I've ever seen) can't tolerate him anymore. Kalani? No mention that I recall of a job. Ashley? Hmm. Not sure how she finances her two children (where are they??) and her self-defense classes, not to mention trips to Jamaica. 

Ashley is a bartender.

5 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

I do think Colt has a lot of Aspergers tendencies; he's very literal ("she wanted to see the Vegas sign; I showed her the Vegas sign.  I did the right thing." ) The mommy issue is disturbing and Mother doesn't seem to have a clue as to how totally incestuous the entire thing seems ("we've been together a long time now...")  I would love to know how Father fit into the whole dynamic.

Skater Kid is a waiter.

Eric/Leida: I did not understand the cross country journey in the first place. There will be plenty of time for Leida to see the country. She and her son had just come off of a 14-hour plane ride. Why did he think that they'd want to sit in a car for hours? He probably didn't want her family to see his hovel. Leida is in for a very rude awakening.

Colt/Larissa: They are so awkward with each other, it's like they just met. I can't believe that these people are "dating" and have taken vacations together. She's clearly using him and I have no idea why he even wants a woman in the first place. He seems very asexual to me. I think he'd be perfectly content to live with his cats and his mom.

Fernanda/Jon: His friends seemed okay, I guess. That dinner looked like it was held in someone's ancient granny's house. Jon still has Fernanda sleeping on a sofa? He's so immature. A man his age should be a lot more established.

Ashley/Jay: Yeah, this isn't going to work out. He just wants to "experience" the US and she's dumb enough to sponsor him there. I give him 2 months max in Nowhere, PA before he's complaining and plotting his escape. He is a tattoo artist and can live anywhere.

Asuelu can't work until he gets his greencard so I take it he and Kalani will be mooching off of her parents until then? Does she work? She's 30, why doesn't she have her own place? I think it's all weird. I don't see any affection let alone love between Asuelu and Kalani. I don't honestly know what kind of employment he's going to be able to find here. I see him lugging boxes 10 hours a day for minimum wage and the happiness and light being stomped out of him quickly.

Steven/Olga: I hope Olga and the baby stay in Russia with her parents because Steven is not financially ready to take care of them. He can't even take care of himself and doesn't have much of a support system in place.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, eatsleep said:

Oh, I see what you mean! Yeah, how can she feel settled in an Air BnB? But then it doesn't quite make sense that her sister just threw her and the baby out in the street and made them scramble for anything they could find. it would have added a lot of natural drama and hijinks if the two sisters, the baby and Asuelu all lived under the one roof. 

We will have to watch  next week to find out more. Maybe I kinda like it better when the focus is on a few couples per episode so that we can see more.

8 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

Ashley/Jay: Yeah, this isn't going to work out. He just wants to "experience" the US and she's dumb enough to sponsor him there. I give him 2 months max in Nowhere, PA before he's complaining and plotting his escape. He is a tattoo artist and can live anywhere.

3 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Yep.  Mechanicsburg is pretty soccermom/McMansion/strip-malls-everywhere white.  Unless he wants to hang out at the dirt track and watch car racing, I don't know what else there is that he'd be interested in.  I suspect he'll find his way to some clubs in downtown Harrisburg (esp the ones who are happy to accept any form of ID, whether it belongs to the person showing it or not) and find his Central PA Crew.  I think I found the bar Ashley works at, btw.   We're going there this weekend to see if it matches the inside of the bar they've shown her at on the show.  

I need more hobbies.

Mechanicsburg itself is pretty bleh, but Harrisburg isn't exactly Orwigsburg (where Melanie and Devar live - THAT'S Nowhere, PA) and it's just across the river.  Plus Harrisburg is pretty close to Baltimore, and some other areas he may find more appealing.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

He really does I don't know why she wanted him to shave.   With the clean face and man boobs he looks like someone that's transitioning.

Thank you for saying what I was not brave enough to say.

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Trying to figure out this whole Colt/Mama Colt dynamic.  I really wonder if he is a software engineer, maybe something along those lines but clearly he isn't making big money. Does he or mom own that house they are living in or renting ? It should be against the law not to have working a/c in a car in Vegas.  I also wonder when Colt moved up to a big boy bed ? Maybe when Momma Deb moved her twin bed out of his room ? I think Larissa is in for a rude awakening, he comes across as a cheap guy.

My new favorite after last night is Fernanda, ( although I am likely to change my mind at any time ) 

I would love for Colt to raise a beckoning finger to his bedroom, only to open the door to reveal to Larissa a bright red twin car bed or something. ("It's a classic, honey!") So many questions about Dolt.

In case Pao hasn't been put on formal notice, she's been officially and unequivocally replaced by the lovely Fernanda who is hotter, younger, and far more endearing! What's more, with Eric she has far more storylines left to explore! 

Still not seeing any Asperger's in Colt. Just that he's self-absorbed and kind of an a$$.  Mama stunted him and now he's a nerd who dresses up cats as opposed to other types of nerds who can be quite cool.  Owning them is okay... just dressing them up is a little off to me although Mother Colt probably makes the all the clothes and saves them a fortune!

Wonder what kind of Halloween costumes the cats will have this year?

Edited by CoachWristletJen
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Lots of people get cheated on who "present well." Halle Berry got cheated on. Beyonce got cheated on. Anybody can be cheated on. My guess is that Ashley wants love but doesn't think she deserves it, so she gravitates toward men who treat her badly. She may also be drawn to immature men in general, if her attraction to her fiance is anything to go by. He's a child.

Ditto I agree. I think Ashley probably has low self esteem so she attracts guys that treat her horribly. She may also think that because she’s pretty that will be enough to make assholes treat her the way she wants to be treated. At 31 she’s likely learned some lessons (unless she’s a total idiot) but she’s been dickmatized by Jay I do think Jay would be NICE to her, I’m not getting vibes that he would be mentally, emotionally or physically abusive, but he’s a kid that likely won’t be committed. 

• Love 9

@funky-rat  Exactly - though I was thinking downtown HBG was a shorter Uber ride from Mechanicsburg than Baltimore/Philly/DC.  If she buys him a car though.... that would just give him plenty of soshul meeedya ideas ("watch me party on the way to Baltimore!" and invariably, someone would...) and we don't need that please and thank you, Jay.  

We need a Central PA 90DF Watch Party! 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

Steven/Olga: I hope Olga and the baby stay in Russia with her parents because Steven is not financially ready to take care of them. He can't even take care of himself and doesn't have much of a support system in place.

I kept thinking, where are they going to live? He's essentially homeless, bouncing from friend to friend to grandparents until he wears out his welcome at each place. It's one thing to do that when it's just you, and even then you should be taking steps to find a permanent address. But when you have an infant, you need to do more than couch-surf.

1 minute ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Yep.  Mechanicsburg is pretty soccermom/McMansion/strip-malls-everywhere white.  Unless he wants to hang out at the dirt track and watch car racing, I don't know what else there is that he'd be interested in.  I suspect he'll find his way to some clubs in downtown Harrisburg (esp the ones who are happy to accept any form of ID, whether it belongs to the person showing it or not) and find his Central PA Crew.  I think I found the bar Ashley works at, btw.   We're going there this weekend to see if it matches the inside of the bar they've shown her at on the show.  

I need more hobbies.

In the preview, Ashley said she wasn't sure how he would react to being the only Black person in the neighborhood and he said he hoped nobody called the cops on him. That prompted me to look up the demographics of Mechanicsburg. (I'm from Philly originally but don't know Mechanicsburg.) It's like 97% white, which as a Black person, I would not be comfortable with at all. Apparently it's only 8 miles from Harrisburg, which is 50% Black.

Just now, Snewtsie said:

I'm confused. Is there really a "proper" way to put luggage into a car?

Eric bugs me but I was with him when he was like, look, it'll go in however it fits. (That's what he said!) (Ew.) Unless she was worried about something fragile in her suitcases or something.

1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

Ditto I agree. I think Ashley probably has low self esteem so she attracts guys that treat her horribly. She may also think that because she’s pretty that will be enough to make assholes treat her the way she wants to be treated. At 31 she’s likely learned some lessons (unless she’s a total idiot) but she’s been dickmatized by Jay I do think Jay would be NICE to her, I’m not getting vibes that he would be mentally, emotionally or physically abusive, but he’s a kid that likely won’t be committed. 

ITA. He does seem like he'll be nice to her but that he's way way way WAY too immature to be anybody's husband or stepfather (which, at 20, is okay, but that's why he should have stayed a vacation fling).

• Love 10
11 hours ago, endure said:

I thought maybe I had been mispronouncing it my entire life.  Then Asuelo pronounced it SahMOHah and I knew Kalani was just saying it wrong (why - I don't know).

Also I think he's an attention hog - I would have been horrified at that performance at my local airport and probably would have headed for the restroom.

Edited by Rebky
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Dance4Life said:

That flat bread they showed???  Lol

The meal was not tasty looking. Were they trying to cook Southern???

The Banquet meatball pot pie from the commercials looked 100x better.  It was golden and flaky straight from microwave, too!

LOL! My family was in awe of that meatball pot pie. You'd think we never saw convenience foods before.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Trying to figure out this whole Colt/Mama Colt dynamic.  I really wonder if he is a software engineer, maybe something along those lines but clearly he isn't making big money. 

Or, he is a major cheap-ass.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

@funky-rat  Exactly - though I was thinking downtown HBG was a shorter Uber ride from Mechanicsburg than Baltimore/Philly/DC.  If she buys him a car though.... that would just give him plenty of soshul meeedya ideas ("watch me party on the way to Baltimore!" and invariably, someone would...) and we don't need that please and thank you, Jay.  

We need a Central PA 90DF Watch Party! 

I was thinking they could take day trips to Baltimore/Philly/DC/PGH, etc.  But even with some public transit there, you pretty much need a car.  I believe I'll be down that way this weekend, lol.  I headed north to the teaming metropolis of Wilkes-Barre this past weekend. 

16 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Wow, interesting.

His doctor is an extremely interesting person.  He said it took "some time" to get credentialed here in the US, and in the interim, he did whatever he could to keep his family going.  Both he and his wife worked very basic jobs just to keep afloat.  That was in either the early or mid 80's - can't remember which.  I think he thought he wouldn't have the difficulties or length of time it took.  He talked about being turned down by other fast food places who laughed at him because he was a doctor and said he was grossly overqualified.  He said McDonald's gave him a chance, and was very flexible with his schedule because he had to go to appointments,  reviews, etc.  He said it wasn't a glamour job, but it kept them going while the wheels turned slowly.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

His doctor is an extremely interesting person.  He said it took "some time" to get credentialed here in the US, and in the interim, he did whatever he could to keep his family going. 

Unlike The Penguin (David poor) who didn't even want to take a job that was handed to him.

• Love 19
46 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

Watch, she is one of them girls that has like 13 different personalities, hence the chaperone of sister & her sisters concern.  So Ericis decided to drive the 15 hours to pick up his bride, then whisk them off to a condo in PA which is probably rented for about 80.00 a night, I just don't think that was proper.  The interesting thing about skater waiter, its true that a lot of seaside places bring young adults over here to work, I have seen it in Wildwood years ago and more currently in Ocean City, Outer Banks -  

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

No one among the Americans' friends ever asks "where did you live? what was it like?" "let me know if you need to get your hair cut/go grocery shopping/find a dentist, I'd be glad to help." "do you have brothers and sisters?" "what do your parents think?" you know, the normal kinds of things you'd ask a person who was new to your neighborhood/city/state/country. I realize its producer driven but for crying out loud. Its actually offensive.

Yes! The only one that stood out in my mind after season 1 was Matt and Alla - I think Matt's friend's girlfriend?/wife? took her out for drinks since Alla was going out of her mind with boredom.

I get that this is producer driven, but the kind people always manage to show through. I am thinking season 1 - At that time I thought Alan was a bit controlling but you could see his family make a real effort to make Kirlyam feel welcome. And now, those two are probably one of the stronger couples of the series. Plus, there seems to be genuine affection between them and their in-laws, which is nice to see. 

• Love 8

The dinner party. What a horrible group of tasteless, clueless, nasty, backwards Southern "Christians". Why do their homes always look like the clearance aisle at Hobby Lobby. Girl - take your new boobs and hightail it back to Mexico!

• Love 24
1 hour ago, eatsleep said:

She said her sister didn’t want Asuelu in the house, she didn’t throw Kalani and the baby out. If Kalani hadn’t trash talked him to her family, they wouldn’t have had such a negative attitude toward him. 

• Love 12
26 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

The dinner party. What a horrible group of tasteless, clueless, nasty, backwards Southern "Christians". Why do their homes always look like the clearance aisle at Hobby Lobby. Girl - take your new boobs and hightail it back to Mexico!

I  was thinking of giving odds that that house was an AirB&B also just for the soulless anonymity of the furnishings.  Also noticed a big decoration in the foyer was a basket with a bag of chips and a package of goldfish crackers.  Which I found weird, but kept thinking must just be a hostess gift / chip in from one of the guests.  (Also: Jon and Fernanda - bring a hostess gift.)

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

Did they identify themselves as Christians? I'm not sure why Christians as a general group are lumped into the hateful/gun-totin'/racist territory.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, magemaud said:

The house of his friends did not look like the house of any 30 something's. Very nice but.... traditional older people furniture, formal dining room, perfect dinnerware, heavy drapes on the windows. I wonder if that was really their friends house or one of the friend's parents house.

I’m guessing it’s an inherited house. Parents are gone, they decided to keep the family home instead of selling for something more modern. Happens a lot.

• Love 1