Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

On 10/22/2018 at 8:28 AM, ShaNaeNae said:

I think it's more of an assumption that all military are nicely neat and organized.  They learn that in basic training, but from my time as an Air Force spouse and living/working on base, I've learned there are all kinds. Just like any company, you have different types of people, it's no different in the military.  Marines are kind of known as being the toughest branch and they are.  But I think everyone expects routine, order, punctuality and organization from a Marine and that's not always the case.

Im a marine. This is true. We arent all neat and orderly. not even close

• Love 6

So I am watching a rerun of the episode and here is a line from Jonathan I didn't pick up on before (not sure if it was mentioned earlier in the thread):

"I haven't told Fernanda anything specifically about Danny" (his female "wingman"). Then 2 seconds later "But, y'know, Fernanda understands our friendship...."

Excuse me while I go bang my head against something.

ETA: I think I just figured it out. Ten bucks that he has totally told Fernanda about his wingman friend Danny, but has not elaborated that she is in fact FEMALE.

Edited by juicyfruit
Lightbulb moment!
  • Love 16

I’m re-watching the first episode and I had to laugh when I noticed how shocked Eric‘s daughters an ex-wife looked that he was holding the door for them to get into the restaurant.  Apparently, Eric only shows manners on camera. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, sconstant said:

Maybe that's why I noticed immediately that I was trying to figure out which of Jonathan's eyes are.

My husband immediately assumed the guy had some cocaine problems.  We know a guy who did coke and has a glass eye now. But hubs said that Jonathan's left eye is always wonky then the more he drinks it becomes almost entirely closed (as seen in the bar/club photos). Strange and I wonder if he'll address it at some point or on another thrilling "tell all." 

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Kdawg82 said:

My husband immediately assumed the guy had some cocaine problems.  We know a guy who did coke and has a glass eye now. But hubs said that Jonathan's left eye is always wonky then the more he drinks it becomes almost entirely closed (as seen in the bar/club photos). Strange and I wonder if he'll address it at some point or on another thrilling "tell all." 

College baseball injury?  

• Love 1
On 10/22/2018 at 7:28 AM, ShaNaeNae said:

I think it's more of an assumption that all military are nicely neat and organized.  They learn that in basic training, but from my time as an Air Force spouse and living/working on base, I've learned there are all kinds. Just like any company, you have different types of people, it's no different in the military.  Marines are kind of known as being the toughest branch and they are.  But I think everyone expects routine, order, punctuality and organization from a Marine and that's not always the case.

I *wish* former military men were nicely neat and organized,, especially my husband.  Honest to God, I have never, ever met a bigger slob.  But yeah, Eric's apartment is GROSS....I don't see how they live there.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Marta said:

I *wish* former military men were nicely neat and organized,, especially my husband.  Honest to God, I have never, ever met a bigger slob.  But yeah, Eric's apartment is GROSS....I don't see how they live there.

Do we have the same man?  My boyfriend is the worst.  I don't get it.  If I'm not following him around, checking areas he was at, food bowls are left in his office for days, clothes strewn about.  I have to dig a place to sit in his car. It's disgusting.  I know most would say don't pick up after him, but I gotta live there too.  I feel for you girl, I really do.  

• Love 7
On 10/23/2018 at 1:59 PM, eatsleep said:

Yeah, I can definitely see how Asuelu can mess things up for Kalani. But I didn't see how Asuelu could mess them up for Low. And Low seemed to be talking about himself. Talk about family enmeshment! One's adult child is not an extension of one's self. Well, she has about two years to get him deported if it's not working out; I hope she watches him like a hawk during that time. 

maybe her dad is putting up the money and sponsorship for her?  So that might mean he's worried about this guy coming and being a tool and being responsible for him financially for however many years it is... taking away his hard earned money.

when watching Colts(?) intro I totally forgot we were at the point where these people have already met.  He has a nice face and photographs nicely as well and i was super worried about how she would react to his body type and then shocked when they showed pictures of them all cuddly in the pool.  She's in it to win it!

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Spike said:

A coworker two decades ago was robbed at machete point (no it wasn’t Karine).

So, Im not in any way excusing being robbed at machete point, however, I do think a lot of folks who go on holiday in the Caribbean think it's all azure waters, fresh coconuts and rum cocktails 24/7. What they dont realize, nor ever see, is the extreme poverty that most islanders live in. During my assignment in that region, I was shocked at the disparity between the neatly tidy, quaintly manicured 'towns' that were all cruise ship dock adjacent, and if you strayed a block beyond those perimeters, you got the 'real' island. People in all of the island nations I worked in had an animosity towards foreigners because they felt that their country only cared about the tourism but they common person saw very little from the national income from the tourism industry. Just another viewpoint to consider. Add to that the fact that so many honeymooners go to the Caribbean for their honeymoon, bedecked in their wedding jewelry, flashy engagement rings, diamonds, etc., it's no wonder more people aren't robbed.  I dont in any way condone it, but I understand the desperation such actions stem from.

• Love 21
On 10/25/2018 at 11:58 AM, Vanderboom said:

It also shows his priorities: Bigger boobs for the girl he's sleeping with trumps finding a real bed for her to sleep on.

I'm still aghast.  Looking back on the dresser drawers, Fernanda was probably looking for a space to put her clothes.  If he didn't have a bed, he surely didn't think of her having an empty drawer for her underwear! 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, gingerella said:

So, Im not in any way excusing being robbed at machete point, however, I do think a lot of folks who go on holiday in the Caribbean think it's all azure waters, fresh coconuts and rum cocktails 24/7. What they dont realize, nor ever see, is the extreme poverty that most islanders live in. During my assignment in that region, I was shocked at the disparity between the neatly tidy, quaintly manicured 'towns' that were all cruise ship dock adjacent, and if you strayed a block beyond those perimeters, you got the 'real' island. People in all of the island nations I worked in had an animosity towards foreigners because they felt that their country only cared about the tourism but they common person saw very little from the national income from the tourism industry. Just another viewpoint to consider. Add to that the fact that so many honeymooners go to the Caribbean for their honeymoon, bedecked in their wedding jewelry, flashy engagement rings, diamonds, etc., it's no wonder more people aren't robbed.  I dont in any way condone it, but I understand the desperation such actions stem from.

They were followed to and robbed in their own hotel room.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Former Nun said:

WHY does TLC rerun-rerun-rerun episodes  while programming them as NEW.  Our poor DVRs don't know they've watched this dreck before. 

You're forgetting the 90 seconds of bonus scenes.

• Love 11

I finally got around to watching the entire first episode and from what I've seen so far, they haven't come up with anything new for this season. Already they've shown:

disapproving parents, siblings and/or children

friend(s) who think American is crazy

single mom

innocent baby

weird mother-son relationship

20 year age difference

religious differences

hot Latina, way out of American's league

vacation f**k

restaurant scene

How long will it be before they show the following:

hair salon or mani-pedi scene

wedding ring or gown shopping

meeting with attorney/therapist/minister/doctor

photography session for modeling cuh-rear

criminal record comes to light

someone has a medical condition 

foreign fiance threatens to go home

weird food scene

Anything else? 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 15
3 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I finally got around to watching the entire first episode and from what I've seen so far, they haven't come up with anything new for this season. Already they've shown:

single mom

innocent baby

20 year age difference

religious differences

vacation f**k

restaurant scene

Anything else? 

Disappointed that we probably won't get a translator app this season.

We should get a problem with someone getting a visa.

Edited by Gobi
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I finally got around to watching the entire first episode and from what I've seen so far, they haven't come up with anything new for this season...

Anything else? 

Physical fight.  Whiny Skype conversation with family member in home country.  Deep conversation with a "friend" we never see again...

But I disagree with you that there's nothing new.  We've never before had a fancily dressed cat.  :P

Edited by Kangatush
  • Love 16

I grow tired of the well-worn storyline drama of The Disapproving Friends and Family. Undoubtedly it's mostly producer-driven, but it's annoying after 6 seasons. I understand as a friend, wanting to say your piece and voice your concerns. But then you drop it! What's done is done. Unless there's serious abuse going on (which...okay, some of the couples who have been on this show qualify), stay in your lane. You're not the one who has to sleep and live with this person. Just suck it up, be civil to their face and talk shit behind their backs like a normal person. Anything else makes you look like jealous meddlers a la Family Elizabeth last season. I want all the couples to succeed just to spite the annoying ass friends.

Having said that, all of the Disapproving Friends and Families are probably egged on by producers, so we're never going to hear the end of them.

Colt's friends were hysterical. They can stay. "Maybe he has 12 inch penis. You just don't know." I think Colt is attractive enough in the face; the photo of them on his nightstand wasn't a total mismatch looks-wise. He's not quite on Larissa's level, but if he would shed a few pounds and buy a few new clothes, he would look pretty good. The glasses do a lot for him.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

single mom

innocent baby

20 year age difference

religious differences

vacation f**k

restaurant scene

weird food scene

Anything else? 

I think I have BINGO on my card!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I grow tired of the well-worn storyline drama of The Disapproving Friends and Family. Undoubtedly it's mostly producer-driven, but it's annoying after 6 seasons. I understand as a friend, wanting to say your piece and voice your concerns. But then you drop it! What's done is done. Unless there's serious abuse going on (which...okay, some of the couples who have been on this show qualify), stay in your lane. You're not the one who has to sleep and live with this person. Just suck it up, be civil to their face and talk shit behind their backs like a normal person. Anything else makes you look like jealous meddlers a la Family Elizabeth last season. I want all the couples to succeed just to spite the annoying ass friends.

Having said that, all of the Disapproving Friends and Families are probably egged on by producers, so we're never going to hear the end of them.

Colt's friends were hysterical. They can stay. "Maybe he has 12 inch penis. You just don't know." I think Colt is attractive enough in the face; the photo of them on his nightstand wasn't a total mismatch looks-wise. He's not quite on Larissa's level, but if he would shed a few pounds and buy a few new clothes, he would look pretty good. The glasses do a lot for him.

On Colt, I agree.  His face is not bad.  Lose the boobs and he would be fine.  I wonder if he just recently did gastric bypass or something.  His body looks like he recently lost a lot of weight.

• Love 6

I don't live in the US, but I watch loads of movies filmed there.  And I can understand the folk from other countries  getting the impression everyone lives in mansions with swimming pools.  No matter the profession of the characters in the movie or TV show, no matter the storyline - they inevitably reside in huge homes and drive expensive cars.  Either that or massive city apartments with floor to ceiling windows and gigantic terraces.

When I first came to the States for a holiday many years ago I was quite take aback at the ramshackle homes.  I really never expected to see that.

• Love 17
7 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I don't live in the US, but I watch loads of movies filmed there.  And I can understand the folk from other countries  getting the impression everyone lives in mansions with swimming pools.  No matter the profession of the characters in the movie or TV show, no matter the storyline - they inevitably reside in huge homes and drive expensive cars.  Either that or massive city apartments with floor to ceiling windows and gigantic terraces.

When I first came to the States for a holiday many years ago I was quite take aback at the ramshackle homes.  I really never expected to see that.

Thank you for your perspective. The Untied States is such a HUGE country, geographically and population wise, we are also an incredibly diverse country- I do wonder how the "typical" US experience is depicted in media in other countries because film, tv, media and internet isn't likely to give a balanced version of US experiences. 

• Love 5
On 10/25/2018 at 6:01 PM, Kdawg82 said:

Because nothing helps someone "go and fight terryists" like having a wonky eye.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, magemaud said:

single mom

innocent baby

20 year age difference

religious differences

vacation f**k

restaurant scene

weird food scene

Anything else? 

It’s all formula repetitive crap. I found the first episode extremely boring. I hope it picks up. 

53 minutes ago, Floatingbison said:

You are correct!  I didn't read it carefully, I thought the post was about Eric.  So much for my reading comprehension!

Don't feel bad, I have a hard time keeping all these losers straight, too. 

• Love 3
On 10/24/2018 at 12:53 PM, Spike said:

Based on tourist muggings in Jamaica, you are probably better off at a resort with clingy staff than wandering the streets.

http://time.com/5111271/tourists-jamaica-state-of-emergency/

19-time visitor to Jamaica here (18 with husband, one with family to bury his ashes at sea there).  This is NOT a country that you go to with all your best jewelry and lots of money.  And yes, Montego Bay is a hell-hole.  There is a LOT of gang activity in Jamaica at the moment, much of it about lottery scams.  You have to keep your wits about you and you have to not be stupid.  Another thing about Jamaica is that a key part of the culture is RESPECT -- often preached more than practiced.  You don't ignore the beach vendor trying to sell you something, you say "No thanks."   You don't walk the beach alone at night.  If you act like a "loose woman" (drinking, dancing suggestively),  you are going to be treated like one.  In many ways it's still very puritanical there.  If you flash a wad of bills, you are going to get robbed, just as you would if you flashed a wad of bills in a low-income neighborhood at home.

The idea that you should never leave the resort is bunk, especially if it is one of the large all-inclusives.  Most of them are owned by big companies in other countries and they don't screen their employees well.  The money made at these resorts (The Riu resorts, Jewel resorts, Secrets resorts, etc.) all goes overseas.  There is a certain amount of "guilt by association" that tourists get by staying at these places.

I have stayed at all-inclusives owned by Jamaican interests and smaller hotels and have never once had a problem.  The closest thing I ever had to a problem was a young American woman I'd chatted with online who met us there and turned out to be a crack addict who sought us out every day begging us for money.

Jamaica is a country with a culture of its own.  It's not a theme park.  The staff at your hotel are not slaves.  Treat them with respect (and tip well) and they'll treat you with respect.

There are always isolated crimes against tourists everywhere.  My cousin was pickpocketed in Paris, a German colleague had her purse stolen in Lisbon.  Be smart as you would anywhere.

• Love 13
37 minutes ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

Another thing about Jamaica is that a key part of the culture is RESPECT -- often preached more than practiced.  You don't ignore the beach vendor trying to sell you something, you say "No thanks."   You don't walk the beach alone at night.  If you act like a "loose woman" (drinking, dancing suggestively),  you are going to be treated like one.

This is true around the Caribbean.  And another note on appearance, we took a family cruise for a wedding and my brother had long hair.  At every stop, somebody would offer to sell him weed.  Never happened to any of the rest of us.  Joke's on them though since my brother is a super straight arrow who was growing out his hair for locks of love...

8 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I definitely appreciate your perspective. I'm from New Jersey "the garden state."  I grew up in the suburbs which became pretty much urban over time- not that far from NYC. I once took a road trip with a girl from a farming town pretty much as far south west NJ as you could go. It was all fields, farms and the people there spoke with accents. It was culture shock to me. And that was JUST little ole NJ. One town can have brick apartment buildings across the street from million dollar homes. There is such diversity in the U.S. it's unbelievable. I agree about TV though. And the poorest characters in the movies could even sport some cool, timeless, vintage clothing without looking a wreck. 

• Love 3

Re Jay's age at his first sexual experience . . .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5656187/

Results

More than two-thirds, 40(67.8%), had early sexual debut. The prevalence of early sexual debut was about 11%. The mean age of sexual debut was 13.10±2.82; the mean age for early sexual debutants was 11.68±1.98. The mean number of sexual partners was 2.44±1.99. Male gender, having friends who engaged in sexual activities had association with early sexual exposure (p<0.05). Alcohol intake had the strongest strength of association for early sexual debut among the students.

1 minute ago, LookABird said:

Re Jay's age at his first sexual experience . . .

Results

More than two-thirds, 40(67.8%), had early sexual debut. The prevalence of early sexual debut was about 11%. The mean age of sexual debut was 13.10±2.82; the mean age for early sexual debutants was 11.68±1.98. The mean number of sexual partners was 2.44±1.99. Male gender, having friends who engaged in sexual activities had association with early sexual exposure (p<0.05). Alcohol intake had the strongest strength of association for early sexual debut among the students.

Oops, that link goes to a section on Nigeria, but here is the quotation about Jamaica:

Among Jamaican adolescents, the mean age at sexual debut was noted to be 11years among girls and 15 among boys. In Ohio, USA, among adolescents aged 13–17 years, 8.6% of the adolescents aged 13 years admitted to having been sexually active before age 13.

Early sexual debut: prevalence and risk factors among secondary ...

Just now, Owwwww ma leg said:

I feel bad for Aseulo

Me too. I forgot them in my initial post, maybe because I got the impression that she will go with whatever her parents want. And hey, if someone met me at the airport with a dance like that, I’d be dancing along!

• Love 19

Like sands through the hourglass...

Larissa, your American Dream will be a nightmare. Colt will take no crap from you. Right now, you are probably fourth - himself, mother, the cats, and then you. Probably no shopping in the expensive designer shops.  Might be the Fashion Mall or various outlets. You could pass for 21, but you would be asked for ID. Your nightlife will be dressing the cats for the daily fashion show. You'd better hope you have some marketable skills because you will want to get a job or anything that gets you out of the house and hope there is a bus stop nearby, so Mama Colt won't be the daily ride. Perhaps Colt will sell his home and buy one with a mother in law suite. Three's Company for the 21st century. You were more than ungrateful - no expected flowers, no seeing the glamorous Las Vegas. Colt didn't take you down the Strip and show you the seedier legalized prostitution - the folks handing out the pamphlets for all the pretty girls. Stop watching the Hollywood type shows and maybe do some research on your new home.

Fernanda, you have now seen who Jon hangs out with. Your new social circle. It will take a while for you to fit in and be accepted by the bunch. Get set for some lonely times. You are probably too good for Jon.

Leida, why is your sister with you? Is Eric getting two for the price of one? Where are you all going to fit? New York City hotel rooms are expensive. Surely as someone wealthy, you could spring for a couple of $500 per night rooms for your folks.

Ashley, I hope you can ask Jay what he can bring to an actual relationship besides anything physical. Is he going to work? Babysit your kids? What?

The 20 year old jobless homeless dude? What are you going to do with your Russian girlfriend? Do you have any plans to mature and change your life and become boing and not a skater boy? Kids are expensive. You are waaaay out of your depth.

Kalani, you won't win. Your Asuelu seems to be a fun guy. Does he have the ability or the desire to be a parent? Life among coconuts does not equal child support and getting a real job. Your family may never like him. Your dad needs to chop off his beard braid. You are almost 30 years old - do you stay home? Any skills? Any way to support your child?

• Love 17