Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E05: Jackets and Eggs

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Carl's quiet adeptness/ability at this game is beautiful to me for some reason.

Word. There's something about him that's just comforting and easy. He's the kind of person you could hang with in silence and still have a great time. I wish they'd show more of him.

Edited by Dominii
  • Love 20
54 minutes ago, Dominii said:

Word. There's something about him that's just comforting and easy. He's the kind of person you could hang with in silence and still have a great time. I wish they'd show more of him.

This is probably precisely why we will likely never see much of Carl. He reminds me a bit of Chelsea from last season and they never showed her because she wasn't what they consider a good interview.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 5

Rob, Adam, and Shirin discussed the clothing thing on this weeks Rob Has a Podcast. Adam flat out said that you are not allowed any type of survival clothes, nothing from REI for example, and that you have to wear something that Production thinks matches your profession and/or your role on the show. Adam flat out said that the attractive women are sent out with less clothing then other people so that they tend to get cold. So, yikes.

• Love 21
6 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Here's an article about Natalie from the magazine of which she is the CEO.  What made me laugh out loud was her comment that she went on Survivor as a "strategy" to build her brand (not only is she a publishing magnate, she has her own skin-care line).

She doesn't need anyone to join her fan club.  She has herself.

That article is seriously unreadable.  I wonder if her entire magazine is like that?!

• Love 18
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Seeing a bunch of people sitting around freezing or too hungry to even think much less strategize, is not my idea of fun but YMMV of course. 

Yup, my mileage varies hugely.

27 minutes ago, EllipticalAddicted said:

The deprivations that the cast members have to endure really ratchet things up.   Sleep deprivation, hunger, loneliness, cold, etc. can bring out the extremes in people.  The show would be boring otherwise, watching happy comfortable people.

This!!!!   For me, the whole point of the show is how people play while dealing with extreme mental and physical stress. In recent seasins some of the tribes end up so well-set-up they might as well be vacationing in the Bahamas.

Even in the hotel  conference rooms during the typhoon I like to imagine the survivors, soaking wet from the storm, chilled by the hotel air conditioning and  sleepless on the hard floors.  As for whether or not they should have been evacuated I give you Exhibit A, the panhandle of Florida after Hurricane Michael. Production made the right move.

• Love 12
12 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Hurry, someone find the link to that article about how the cast was given canned food in one of the earlier seasons! Seriously though, is this some kind of Mandela effect? Because every damn season people are going on about how much harder it was, food-wise, in the beginning and no one ever remembers that that really isn't the case lol.

Not sure if you mean they were given canned food behind the scenes or not, or if they were given canned food as part of their provisions.  I definitely remember the Africa season when the older blonde lady with the big frizzy hair passed out (or faked passing out) so that big young guy opened up a can of beans and fed it to her.  He got voted out because he ate some himself.  So I do remember those few cans being very precious.  I think they got the cans because there wasn't much in the way of fruits that they could collect on their own?  And being in Africa they had no access to fish.

As far as secret food behind the scenes, might be true but on the whole I don't think the rewards were as good in the early seasons.  I remember Sue Hawk nasally intoning on and on about taaapeeohca, I remember Tina Wesson saving the bag of rice, I remember when Mountain Dew and Doritos were the rewards.  Now the teams get these feasts.  I don't even remember if they had real fishing gear in the earliest seasons.

The tribe that won the reward, did we even see them determine what to do with the chickens?  I thought they would have eaten one right away (obviously it should be the rooster, but often times I think the contestants believe they need a rooster around or the hens won't lay eggs) but I don't think we saw it?  We spent all the time over on Egggate with the tribe that won a plate of eggs.

Last week when the green tribe won the immunity/reward challenge I don't think we even saw them get to eat it.  

• Love 4
13 hours ago, North of Eden said:

The evacuation leaves a lot of questions. Where did they go? How long where they there? Do they get downey beds? Do they get fed regular meals?

Try https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/25/survivor-jeff-probst-david-vs-goliath-cyclone/

Part of the article quotes Probst as saying:

... We planted a couple of cameras with batteries out at the beaches and then we evacuated as well. Our production team back at base camp had already set up temporary housing for each tribe. They stayed separated and slept in very basic units with no comfort. They might argue it was worse in some ways because what little control they had on their beach was taken away as they were under a “no talking” lock down.

Edited by green
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, blackwing said:

Natalie was tough to watch but I thought it was pretty crappy of Angelina to tell her to get Lyrsa’s jacket.  Why couldn’t she ask herself?  What did she expect, that Natalie was going to be able to get Lyrsa to hand it over?  “Sweetie you are going home tonight so just help us out here mmkay?”

It seemed pretty clear that they expected Nick to somehow get it for them. And Angelina was relying on Natalie to do her dirty work. She knew Natalie was perceived as a bitch anyhow, so what would one more incident matter? 

1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I am somewhere in the middle when it comes to suffering by the castaways.  I think the should have barely enough food to function, as a minimum, and the opportunity to get fish, coconuts, crabs, etc, plus rewards.  

But, I think it is good for them to be pretty hungry, if they don't have any providers or challenge beasts in the tribe.  It creates a lot more tension between the desire to get the biggest threats out of the game and the desire to thrive as a tribe and be better fed and more comfortable. 

I'm with you. I like a middle ground. I don't want to see people's hair falling out or gums bleeding; but I do think some of the hardships contribute to the strategizing and social play, which is what I love most about the show. I.E. If everyone is hungry and Ozzy is catching a buttload of fish, they want to keep him around even if he's clearly a physical threat. That kind of thing interests me. 

• Love 22
8 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I, too, was wondering why Angelina didn't bring her own damn jacket. Though I'm relieved that at least she's not running around without pants. I don't know why anyone even went to her with the vote-out-Natalie plan. They had three votes without her. 

In my experience, people who go on about "running cold" are usually just pointing out how thin they are. 

Haha, that's been true in my experience too, now that you point it out! 

I'd be happier that she hadn't chosen the no-pants route if she'd been wearing anything but those eye-searing grey yoga pants. For her sake, though, I was glad she had them on when they had to slide down those wooden poles in the challenge. Ouch, that must have been painful for the pants-less Survivors. 

I'm so baffled by that choice of pants. Why that color over, say, black? You know you're going to be dirty for 39 days, black would be so much smarter. Plus, she's got larger hips and the eye is just drawn right to them in those pants. 

I was also confused why they felt the need to get Angelina's buy-in on the Natalie vote, 3 votes were enough to get her out. And the jacket stuff was so odd. Don't people pack their things and take them with them when they go? Why did Angelina assume that she could just steal Lyrsa's jacket? 

2 very satisfying boots in a row and both times, I was on the edge of my seat thinking it wasn't going to happen. I couldn't take much more of Natalie on TV, I can't imagine being there with her. 

I like so many people this time around, it feels weird. Nick with his James McAvoy looks and Matthew McConaughey circa A Time to Kill voice really grew on me this episode. I'm glad so many of you understood his "you could make a preacher cuss" remark because I rewound that moment about 6 times and STILL couldn't figure out what he said, lol. 

At this point, there's hardly anyone left that I wouldn't be okay with winning, usually I hate most of the cast by this point in a season. 

• Love 20
20 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Nick with his James McAvoy looks and Matthew McConaughey circa A Time to Kill voice really grew on me this episode.

This is really superficial, but I very much appreciate that Nick is a young man with chest hair.  I'm tired of the waxed-chest look.

• Love 19
10 hours ago, Mystery said:

I, too, was wondering why Angelina didn't bring her own damn jacket.

See below.

59 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Rob, Adam, and Shirin discussed the clothing thing on this weeks Rob Has a Podcast. Adam flat out said that you are not allowed any type of survival clothes, nothing from REI for example, and that you have to wear something that Production thinks matches your profession and/or your role on the show. Adam flat out said that the attractive women are sent out with less clothing then other people so that they tend to get cold. So, yikes.

Honestly a post like this needs to be posted at the top of every episode of every season because every episode of every season some people always go on and on about what someone should have packed and why is this person running around wearing this thing etc.  We could thin down the thread by at least 25% most episodes if people would read this basic info tacked at the top of the thread.

Edited by green
  • Love 22
13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Carl's quiet adeptness/ability at this game is beautiful to me for some reason.

I love him, but I can't explain why. He seems so normal, but almost as if he's puzzled about where all the others came from? Like, he already lived there and then these others showed up and he's just rolling with it.

"Brochachos" would ordinarily be annoying, but they all (even Dan!) seem to be saying it tongue-in-cheek and not as if it's an actual thing that people should aspire to, so it's kind of cute.

I want Jeff to go back to the cargo pants. The tapered shorts are ... not doing it.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Here's an article about Natalie from the magazine of which she is the CEO.  What made me laugh out loud was her comment that she went on Survivor as a "strategy" to build her brand (not only is she a publishing magnate, she has her own skin-care line).

She doesn't need anyone to join her fan club.  She has herself.

Interesting read. I will say one thing for Natalie, even though I found her bossy and abrasive at times. Okay, always. For a 57 year old woman, she was tough as nails physically, and not a complainer. We saw her last night sitting in torrential downpour, unbroken, and throwing herself off rafts and down wooden poles like everyone else. She may not be in fantastic physical shape, but she is physically and mentally tough. I do admire that. 

• Love 17

It must be hard being a vegetarian out there.  With so little food to start with, not being able to eat the little extra they catch could make a big difference.  Do you ask for extra rice because you're not eating the fish?  I vaguely remember Mike White being vegan, so he wouldn't be able to eat the eggs either. 

I've thought about this and wondered what I would do.  I think I would compromise my principles to eat food that we caught ourselves (finding a crab, for example), but nothing sourced outside (so no burger on a reward), but I don't know.  How much can one contribute to camp life and challenges when living on rice and coconuts?

• Love 7

Finally figured out that Angelina's look and voice remind me of one of the Queen Bee moms in the community that thinks she is hot shit when she really isn't all that.  This mom also has a tendency to wear tight yoga pants that are very unflattering to her considerable bottom so I finally made the connection last night.  No wonder why I can't stand Angelina.

Something she said last night about how she is a vegetarian who eats eggs every day for her protein so she has gone without protein for 14 days.  From that I am assuming she doesn't eat fish either?  I could have sworn that pre-merge that the Goliaths caught some fish.  She apparently chose not to eat it?  How can you be a full vegetarian (the kind that won't even eat fish) and willingly go on Survivor?  Seems to me that you'd be living on rice and coconuts and maybe some fruit, doesn't seem like a recipe for success.  I would think the body would get so weak.

• Love 8

I wondered about that too. Angelina said she'd had no protein for 2 weeks which I took to mean she was passing on the small amount of fish and shellfish they were eating. So, yes, just rice and coconuts. It doesn't sound healthy, although she seems as healthy as the rest. Over time maybe not. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Fretful said:

It must be hard being a vegetarian out there.  With so little food to start with, not being able to eat the little extra they catch could make a big difference.  Do you ask for extra rice because you're not eating the fish?  I vaguely remember Mike White being vegan, so he wouldn't be able to eat the eggs either. 

I've thought about this and wondered what I would do.  I think I would compromise my principles to eat food that we caught ourselves (finding a crab, for example), but nothing sourced outside (so no burger on a reward), but I don't know.  How much can one contribute to camp life and challenges when living on rice and coconuts?

Hah, this must have posted as I was writing my post and you said pretty much the exact same thing I did.  I don't know how they would do it.  I recall on Amazing Race, the Asian half of Kat and Nat (the two doctors) was vegetarian but ate a sheep's head to advance in the game.  I would find it hard to have a strict diet and stay true to that diet if I was put into a situation like Survivor.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Not sure if you mean they were given canned food behind the scenes or not, or if they were given canned food as part of their provisions.  I definitely remember the Africa season when the older blonde lady with the big frizzy hair passed out (or faked passing out) so that big young guy opened up a can of beans and fed it to her.  He got voted out because he ate some himself.  So I do remember those few cans being very precious.  I think they got the cans because there wasn't much in the way of fruits that they could collect on their own?  And being in Africa they had no access to fish.

Africa had the canned food because they didn't have access to food in the area and they were not allowed to wander all that far due to wild animals in the area. THey couldn't go any where without an armed guard due to the threat.

I have no problem with the contestants being hungry and cold and deprived, that is part of the game. I do have a problem when the deprivation leads to no energy and crappy game play. I think it is a fine balance between letting the game play and the players lose too much weight and all energy and passing out whole pizzas at reward challenges.

• Love 7
Just now, ProfCrash said:

Africa had the canned food because they didn't have access to food in the area and they were not allowed to wander all that far due to wild animals in the area. THey couldn't go any where without an armed guard due to the threat.

They also had canned food in Borneo and the Outback. They're seen eating it and discussing it on the show, so I don't know why so many people believe that the earlier seasons were harder in terms of food. They also let them wear their own warm clothes and provided rain jackets. The first season where they decided to make it a true "shipwreck" situation was Pearl Islands and even at that, they gave each tribe money and set them loose in town to buy whatever they needed. Sandra's team was smart about it and bought and bartered for a ton of food and cooking supplies; Savage's team was so dumb they bought almost nothing, Osten sold the clothes he was wearing, and they arrived at their camp with very little food and money left over.

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

They also had canned food in Borneo and the Outback. They're seen eating it and discussing it on the show, so I don't know why so many people believe that the earlier seasons were harder in terms of food. They also let them wear their own warm clothes and provided rain jackets. The first season where they decided to make it a true "shipwreck" situation was Pearl Islands and even at that, they gave each tribe money and set them loose in town to buy whatever they needed. Sandra's team was smart about it and bought and bartered for a ton of food and cooking supplies; Savage's team was so dumb they bought almost nothing, Osten sold the clothes he was wearing, and they arrived at their camp with very little food and money left over.

I forgot about Australia but wasn't that another situation where they did not have access to local foods? I know that there are some places that they have filmed where they were not allowed to hunt or pick certain foods. I think they give them more of the canned foods and rice and beans and the like on the seasons where they are limited on food choices. Africa stands out to me because of the lions and elephants and stuff.

4 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I am hoping Christian and Gabby get together so we can find out what half Hobbit, half Elf babies look like. :)

They also remind me a bit of Gretchen and Elliot from Breaking Bad.  Maybe their alliance should be named Gray Matter.

OMG!!! Thank you ever so much. It wasn't a cute little animal that Gabby reminded me of. It was an Elf. I've been scratching my head for four weeks now and there is a terrible gash all scratched out. I owe you, Bryce. I will name my first child after you. Boy or Girl. I don't care. Of course, if it's a girl, it might have to be "Brycella". I hope that will be OK.

Thanks again.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, GaT said:

So where did they go when they were evacuated? Did they give them food & access to showers & stuff?

Friggin’ Natalie, what was that crap about the Members Only jacket? And I love Angelina now. So glad she's finally gone, she was one of those people who ruin watching the game.

I'm surprised that no one ever brought up the notion that if they didn't bounce Nasty Natalie soon, she could be joining them on the jury.

How would you like to share jury duties with Nastalie?  I would have thought that had any of them ever raised the concept of Nastalie on the jury, she would have been voted out instantly.

I just woke up and I had a dream last night. I don't remember the details. But I was trying to accomplish something and this voice kept wafting over my head saying,

"I'm in sales.  I'm in sales.  I'm in sales."

It completely destroyed my ability to accomplish my task.  But I'm left wondering why she felt the need to repeat that so many times. Did she think that would convince people to keep her around?  Did she think that would explain her boorish behavior to Jeff?  I found it quite baffling.  But completely in line with her character - lack of character.

3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I'm in the minority with you. I think it comes down to different viewers and what appeals to them. Some believe watching people damn near starve and be physically tortured is true to the Survivor aspect of the show, I'm the viewer though who is more interested in watching blindsides and strategy and gameplay. Seeing a bunch of people sitting around freezing or too hungry to even think much less strategize, is not my idea of fun but YMMV of course. 

I'm very pleased to make your acquaintance. I don't recall ever reading one of your posts before and I hope to hear more from you in the future.   :)  :)  :)

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, greyflannel said:

The Natalie and the eggs situation was just stupid. She wanted to cook all of the eggs at once,  so they wouldn't have to boil eggs again the next morning. Are they really so busy that that would be such a problem?

Jeff had her pegged correctly; she's someone who always needs to have the last word. If she hadn't already said she wanted to cook all the eggs, then she might have accepted Lyrsa explaining that the uncooked eggs would stay good for at least a couple of days. But since she'd already said what she wanted to do, then anyone offering a different opinion feels like a direct challenge to her so she has to keep adding information to prove she's "right." So it goes from, "they'll go bad if we don't cook them in the next five minutes," to "we have to cook them all now to save time." I've known a couple of people like Natalie and you can get your way with them only if you can get them to think your idea is really their idea or if you act properly grateful that they're letting you have an opinion at all. They can be managed, but it is exhausting.

22 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I forgot about Australia but wasn't that another situation where they did not have access to local foods? I know that there are some places that they have filmed where they were not allowed to hunt or pick certain foods.

I don't think they had any restrictions; they were able to fish and Skupin killed that pig. They were given a lot of food that season, but Keith Famie (who was a chef IRL) wasted a lot of it, cooking huge portions that people couldn't or didn't want to eat, which is why they ran out of rice.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 10
39 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Hah, this must have posted as I was writing my post and you said pretty much the exact same thing I did.  I don't know how they would do it.  I recall on Amazing Race, the Asian half of Kat and Nat (the two doctors) was vegetarian but ate a sheep's head to advance in the game.  I would find it hard to have a strict diet and stay true to that diet if I was put into a situation like Survivor.

And it tasted like a million dollars. :)

• Love 2

Fi. Na. Lly!!!

Survivor is a game for a million dollars, true.  Only one person can win. But every person there can have the adventure of a lifetime. Ruining that for everyone out there is the ultimate dick move, which is why I despised the Hantz seasons and any season where someone thinks it's clever to be sadistic and unpleasant.

Which is also why I think it makes sense to vote off obnoxious enervating people, especially this early, when the numbers game hasn't gotten critical yet. 

Digging Your Own Grave/Voting Off the Creeps is this season's REAL theme. And I'm very happy about it!

Great episode all around. Love that Gabby and now Christian have been challenge heroes for their tribe! Hopefully, that keeps Gabby around a while (are we SURE she isn't the tall half of Garfunkel and Oates?). I find her adorable and I get her insecurities. And Christian's delight in being included in the brochacos was damn cute. 

I think the whole point of Survivor is, how do you keep your wits about you and play a long-term game that's social, emotional and physical all while having your brain dulled and your nerves rubbed raw by the weather and the deprivation? As I've said before, that's one of the reasons I don't mind Probst's needling of the contestants during challenges and tribal -- the whole point is to push their buttons, keep them on edge, and film the resulting fireworks. 

Thanks to everyone for the info on evacuation, we were wondering about that last night. 

Loving this season!

• Love 19
5 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I'm looking forward to some future episode of Dateline when the perp is being charged with murder for paying some dude to kill their spouse and they're all, "But I'm in Sales!  It was just leverage! It's okay if you're in sales!"

Ahhh .... Thank you for the memories.  Thank you ever so much.  I laughed.  I guffawed.  I wheezed.  I spit up my coffee.  You have a way with the words my dear.  *HEART*  *HEART*  *HEART* 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, cujo said:

This just in.... Angelina has released another statement, this time about jackets...

"My husband and I are aware of the warmth of jackets. While we do not always wear jackets my comfort is greater with a jacket, I am surprised no one felt compelled to give me all the jackets. I think all of this really comes down to one fundamental Survivor truth: if you jacket on you can't jacket off, especially if you're a Goliath like me."

I'm usually wrong about these things. But when Angelina says, " I am surprised no one felt compelled to give me all the jackets", I hear that as meaning that she went far into the game.

Just a guess and like I said, I'm far more often wrong than right. But my guess is that she may well make it to F4 or something close.

I hope not. There are far better players. Like Elizabeth (incredibly game savvy), John (IMHO a true American hero), Gabby (I just love Gabby and her magical ears) and the lawyer with the big mouth.

8 minutes ago, MissBluxom said:

I'm usually wrong about these things. But when Angelina says, " I am surprised no one felt compelled to give me all the jackets", I hear that as meaning that she went far into the game.

Just a guess and like I said, I'm far more often wrong than right. But my guess is that she may well make it to F4 or something close.

I think @cujo was joking.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, marys1000 said:

I  moved a couple of months ago and no longer have cable i.e. no longer have CBS.  So I go to someone's house to watch and while I love the company I am missing so much! I missed all the egg drama for one.  I did see Allison show up for a talking head which was nice.

I sent you a message explaining how you can legally watch Survivor episodes after they air on the CBS web site.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/video/

It is completely legal. It comes from CBS.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 3

Well, Angelina, I guess you don’t always get your way or what you want, huh? You may be able to talk your way out of tickets, but you at least can’t get people to give you their jacket ? 

Also, congrats on making yoga pants actually look unflattering.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I, too, was expecting Natalie to become very offended. "YOU mentioned wanting the jacket first!" It was weird that she just let Angelina smooth it all over with her half-truths. The only thing I can think of is that Natalie is such a narcissist, that all that flattery about "coming from a good place" and "she did it out of love" was feeding her ego and she didn't realize that Angelina was effectively taking the blame off of herself. 

I'm not an eggspert, but I tend to think that countdown from good to bad eggs would be shorter once they're cooked. Lyrsa was saying to kind of dig a shallow spot and keep them out of the sun and they'd be fine. I get organic eggs at the farmers market and don't even need to refrigerate them. Once you cook them, you need to eat them relatively quickly. But I could be totally wrong. 

Natalie may have the least amount of self-awareness I've ever seen in a person. Every time they're at TC and an issue with her comes up, she's truly surprised. She just doesn't get it. 

Also, you can get away from your boss at the end of the day. These people are STUCK with Natalie day in and day out. On top of that, they're wet, they're hungry, they're tired. So I can see them having a lot less tolerance for her than an ostensibly well-fed, dry, well-rested employee would have. 

Wonderful post.

You're not an "eggspert"?  ROFLMAO!!  Wonderful.

What you said about being STUCK with her. Can you imagine being on the jury with her?  I made a post earlier wondering why no one ever floated that idea. But I'm guessing we just never saw that. Surely, some of them must have thought about what it would be like to be STUCK with her on the jury.

I would lose my mind if I couldn't express a single thought about who should win. I'm guessing the Nasty Nitwit would have decided who should win and would bully her way right till the end until someone took a sharpened 2 by 4 and drove it through her brain. You know. Like on The Walking Dead.  In a sealed Jury room, how else could they deal with her?

Any possibility she was actually turning into a Zombie?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Ellee said:

I'd be curious to know how many times Natalie let Angelina use her jacket during the time they spent together. 

Probably never.  At first, I thought Angelina was referring to the blue/white long-sleeve zip-up number that Natalie is always wearing, but looks like she also had a legit jacket which I had never seen until her goodbye confessional.  Jacket-gate.  The struggle is real.  :)

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, Special K said:

I think @cujo was joking.

Oops. Thank you Special K. After such a great episode, my excitement level rises to the point where my brain has difficulty filtering truth from fiction.

34 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Well, Angelina, I guess you don’t always get your way or what you want, huh? You may be able to talk your way out of tickets, but you at least can’t get people to give you their jacket ? 

Also, congrats on making yoga pants actually look unflattering.

Remember the wonderful fable about how God and Satan were arguing about who was greater and they made a wager about some old man walking down the road wearing a jacket?

The wager was to see who could make him take off his jacket. Satan raised up wind storms and tremendous wind and tried to blow and blow and force the jacket to blow off the man's back. But the man just grabbed ahold of his jacket and kept his grip on it even tighter.

Then it was God's turn. He made the sun come out and smile down on the man and caused great warmth to come over him. The man got warm and eventually removed his jacket because he was so warm.

I wonder if there was any spiritual connection between that fable and .... oh, I guess not. Once again, the image of Natalie comes to mind and she just spoils it. She spoils everything.

I just read the article from her magazine. One of the lines she wrote gave me a laugh. She is writing about the show and she says, "The premise of the show is simple enough."  Right Natalie. Simple enough that you couldn't manage to last past Episode 5.  If only someone had floated the concept of what it would be like to be trapped in the Jury room with her, IMO, she would have been voted much sooner.  Or else maybe people would have started sharpening 2 by 4s.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 5

I'm just glad Natalie is gone because far from finding her entertaining I just found her painfully unpleasant to watch, so I can only imagine how miserable it would have been to actually live with her. Sure there's an argument to be made that she's not a physical threat and therefore a good goat, but as a audience member, it really ruins the show for me to see someone that unpleasant make it that far into the game. They end up being rewarded for being assholes and it just encourages the show to keep casting assholes because they think they make "good TV."

I really enjoyed Lyrsa in this episode and was very impressed to hear she graduated Magna cum Laude from a Paris cooking school. (Did I hear that right?) 

I heard her say cooking school, I didn't hear anything about Paris. And her CBS Bio says she's an airline agent.

Some believe watching people damn near starve and be physically tortured is true to the Survivor aspect of the show, I'm the viewer though who is more interested in watching blindsides and strategy and gameplay. Seeing a bunch of people sitting around freezing or too hungry to even think much less strategize, is not my idea of fun but YMMV of course

I enjoyed old-school Survivor where they had to eat rats. But nowadays they get virtual feasts for rewards so it makes the competition very unbalanced IMO. A tribe that's getting fed is obviously going to grow stronger and stronger, making it progressively easier to win competitions. The downstream effect of just one such reward makes the game lopsided.

• Love 9
46 minutes ago, Special K said:

Probably never.  At first, I thought Angelina was referring to the blue/white long-sleeve zip-up number that Natalie is always wearing, but looks like she also had a legit jacket which I had never seen until her goodbye confessional.  Jacket-gate.  The struggle is real.  :)

Yeah, I never saw that jacket that Natalie wore to Tribal Council. Which is weird since there has been so much bad weather. Maybe, she only wore at night when it really got cold. That said, I didn't know that jacket-gate was a thing until last night & watching RHAP today. Rob, Tyson & Adam Klein said it's all about warmth.  I know some people would leave things behind because they didn't think they'd be voted out but it looks like people are looking for anything else to wear besides their bathing suit & buff. I can't say I blame them.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Yeah, I never saw that jacket that Natalie wore to Tribal Council. Which is weird since there has been so much bad weather. Maybe, she only wore at night when it really got cold. That said, I didn't know that jacket-gate was a thing until last night & watching RHAP today. Rob, Tyson & Adam Klein said it's all about warmth.  I know some people would leave things behind because they didn't think they'd be voted out but it looks like people are looking for anything else to wear besides their bathing suit & buff. I can't say I blame them.

My guess is this could well have been due to editing.

When the producers saw how the first 5 epis would play out, they could have decided to never show that jacket until her final exit.

I suppose they might have done that to heighten the drama or the laughs or whatever they thought it would heighten. Whatever it was sure did work. Didn't it?

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Also, I'm not sure I can blame the producers for her lack of jacket. It seems unfair that they would allow others to have them, someone who freezes all night long isn't going to sleep well and it could impact their physical condition. I choose to believe that she just saw the tropical island on TV and assumed it would be hot so she didn't pack one. 

And yet past contestants said that Producers very much do that. Last night, Tyson discussed clothing and flat out said that women who are pretty are given fewer clothes then other people. Men who are more muscular are given fewer clothes. Angelina does have a sweater with her, so she has something with long sleeves. The entire Survivor Panel on last nights Rob Has a Podcast, to include Coach, Adam, Tyson and Boston Rob, were all in agreement that they had little to say about clothing and that it is rigged by Production.

For all we know, Angelina brought the grey yoga pants because they are super comfy and they are the pants she lounges about in and that is how she was using them at the hotel before heading out to play. She probably didn't mean to wear them on the show. Boston Rob talked about playing in just a sleeveless t-shirt and shorts because that is what he was allowed by Production. Rob C talked about trying to take someone's coat that they left at camp and how Production took that coat from Rob C and returned it to the bootee. Adam talked about one of the guys on his tribe wearing a womans pants after she was voted out because he was not given pants.

So yeah, I don't read much into the clothing BS. Stephen apparently went on a twitter tirade because he was sick of people questioning Angelina's clothing choices.

• Love 16
6 hours ago, cujo said:

This just in.... Angelina has released another statement, this time about jackets...

"My husband and I are aware of the warmth of jackets. While we do not always wear jackets my comfort is greater with a jacket, I am surprised no one felt compelled to give me all the jackets. I think all of this really comes down to one fundamental Survivor truth: if you jacket on you can't jacket off, especially if you're a Goliath like me."

I started bursting out laughing at your first sentence of this.  Oh my god.  You're so clever!

I just want to say....  personal opinion, just because parts of the audience feel like they know who is going to get voted out in a particular episode, I don't think that's necessarily a fault of the show or makes it less entertaining.  I don't think the shock is the ONLY entertainment factor in this show.  There's so much more to it, like the humour, and the satisfaction.  This tribal was a perfect example of it.  It was just so funny!  The editors aren't always going for shock value they're trying to pour other stuff in too.  And sometimes shocking tribals are bad, like when you're given NO foreshadowing.  So, I personally liked this episode a lot.  The only episode I didn't care for was the Jeremy one :(  That depressed me.

Isn't there a chance you'd need your jacket at Ponderosa?  I understand they're indoors most of the time, but what if you want to go outside and it's cold?  Also, maybe you just want it as a souvenir of the game?  If you're losing out on a million dollars, why would you want to give your jacket away to someone who might win it?  LOL.  This isn't a cast that's in obsessive love with each other, like when Cirie's husband gave his huge polo to Aras, probably at Cirie's behest, to keep him warm.  This is a much different situation.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Special K said:

That article is seriously unreadable.  I wonder if her entire magazine is like that?!

Agreed.  It was like reading a high school paper.  Be sure to state your topic in the first paragraph and then offer examples.  Unfortunately run on sentences and improper use of adjectives distracts the reader from completing the article.  

She has a skin care line??  Ok.  I'm glad she's gone.  I actually cheered.  She was making me have irrational anger.  Woman, don't just walk over and take ALL the eggs because you've decided it should be done THIS way.  This is a team not a dictatorship.  

I'm laughing, She's her own pet peeve. This is from her bio:

Pet peeves: People who are negative; people who talk too much and listen too little; people who tend to say no before they consider "the yes;"

• Love 18

All I have to say is that the pre-jury trip must have been hysterical. Jeremy, Natalia & Natalie together doesn't sound like a fun time. If their exit press is any indication it must have been a horrible trip.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, EllipticalAddicted said:

The show would be boring otherwise, watching happy comfortable people.

Kind of the point of Big Brother, I think.  I'm biased, but some Americans I follow on social media seem to love the Canadian version, so maybe that would be more your guys' bag.

3 minutes ago, zoltana said:

Agreed.  It was like reading a high school paper. 

It was both pretentious and incoherent.  Quite a feat!

5 minutes ago, zoltana said:

I'm laughing, She's her own pet peeve.

Reminds me of "I'm my own grandpa". LOL.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, marys1000 said:

I'm confused by jacket gate as well.  I thought that Angelina asked for Natalie's help in getting Lyrsa's jacket? before they voted Lyrsa off? Didn't Angelia basically sell her non vote for Natalie if Natalie could get her Lyrsa's jacket?   And Natalie decides to go to Nick and somehow extort/blackmail him to get Lyrsa?s jacket for not voting for him, thinking they were voting off Lyrsa but Nick wouldn't know for sure.  I don't know, I'm pretty confused except I was totally gobsmacked by the whole buying/selling a vote thing.  Very entertaining although I wish I could rewatch. 

#JacketGate.

The remaining 3 Goliaths of that tribe (Natalie, Angelina, and Mike) are discussing who to vote out.  They say Nick is useful in challenges, so let's vote out Lyrsa.  (Mike is just pretending, he actually wants to vote out Natalie.)

Then Angelina makes it clear that she wants Lyrsa's jacket.  At first I took this to mean, let's vote out Lyrsa so we can take her jacket after the fact! (Somehow).  BUT NO.  What Angelina REALLY meant was, Angelina wanted to kick Lyrsa off the tribe AND ask her for the jacket BEFORE that point!  Talk about adding insult to injury!  Angelina makes it clear to Natalie that she wants NATALIE to vocalize this though, so that Natalie comes off looking like the bad guy and that Angelina doesn't get her hands dirty.  (This was also used on an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.  Jerry and Larry had an assistant who wore a midriff baring top and they wanted her to change.  Jerry got Larry to tell the girl to do it, because Jerry wanted to remain "White glove".  LOL.)

Then, I think Nick approaches the Goliaths to "make sure" they're voting Lyrsa.  (Who knows what Nick wants to do at this point - obviously ideally I think he'd want to team up with Mike and vote Natalie).  Angelina and Natalie kind of hem and haw, but then Natalie kind of implies to Nick, look, we want a jacket.  Give us your jacket and you're safe.  Otherwise I'm not making any promises.  Nick immediately realizes this for the threat that it is and accuses Natalie of bullying him.

At Tribal, Angelina somehow couches this all in love AND doesn't take the blame for any of it. She's pretty shrewd and manipulative.  I'll give her that.  And then after Natalie's kicked off the tribe she ruins any illusion of that in begging for Natalie's jacket.  Hahahaha.  Poor Natalie is kicked off the tribe AND takes the blame for the bullying of Nick. LOL.  Insult to injury once again.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I love him, but I can't explain why. He seems so normal, but almost as if he's puzzled about where all the others came from? Like, he already lived there and then these others showed up and he's just rolling with it.

LOL, that's exactly it.  All right folks, y'all better chip in because I'm already tired from what I've been doing here so let's get moving.  

The experience of Carl is great and what people write about him is great.

By the way guys I am not getting tired of your egg puns.  I'm not.... yet eggxausted from it..... 

• Love 10

When the producers saw how the first 5 epis would play out, they could have decided to never show that jacket until her final exit.

It amuses me to think that just before tribal, some producer pulled Natalie aside and told her to wear her jacket.

The remaining 3 Goliaths of that tribe (Natalie, Angelina, and Mike) are discussing who to vote out.  They say Nick is useful in challenges, so let's vote out Lyrsa.  (Mike is just pretending, he actually wants to vote out Natalie.)

I don't understand why Nick needed to try to convince Angelina to vote out Natalie. They already had the three votes they needed (Mike, Nick, Lyrsa). I guess maybe Mike was hoping Angelina would agree to join them because it would make him seem less culpable if he weren't the only "Goliath" flipping.

They really need to dump the whole "Goliaths v Davids" thing anyway. I think it becomes utterly pointless the moment they switch the tribes around and they did that three episodes in.

• Love 3

Mike explicitly wanted Nick to convince Angelina to vote out Natalie, so that after the Tribal, the Goliaths wouldn't entirely blame Mike for that decision.  He made this very clear in his talking heads or when he spoke to Nick.  But the dialogue was there.

I get that people hate the themes, but loyalty in this game has to be based on SOMETHING.  It's not just magic in the air, it's usually explained with concrete reasons, one of them being the tribes that Jeff puts you in at the beginning.  You form bonds by going through challenges and living with those people - it's logical.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8